User Reviews for Nifedipine to treat Raynaud's Syndrome

Also known as: Procardia, Adalat, Procardia XL, Adalat CC Afeditab CR

Nifedipine has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Raynaud's Syndrome. 70% of those users who reviewed Nifedipine reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Nifedipine Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Raynaud's Syndrome.

Reviews for Nifedipine

jungejmzj · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2021

“I was started on this medication at 30mg then 60mg daily. It has been bumped up to 90mg. I finally am starting to notice. My hands seem to be warm more frequently and not freezing. And I now can put my hands under cold water without them burning. I'm actually surprised this medication is actually working.”

Angelscry2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2021

“Put on medication to treat symptoms of Raynaud disease after suffering over a year. However taking medication 31 days I started new symptoms. Which was rapid heart rate and extreme tremors that lasted sometimes more than an hour in early morning after getting out of bed. After taking this drug for 42 days I stopped taking to see if it played a factor new symptoms. The same day I stopped I had a heart dr appointment. Told dr the new symptoms. He told me to change the time in which I take my atenolol from morning to before bed. Now a few days later new symptoms have vanished! I read online nifedipine causes rapid heart rate. Why couldn’t my heart dr put two and two together? These are the kind of things he should know as a heart specialist. Yes this did stop the Raynaud disease symptoms and the benefits were greater than the risk, but now the risk created new symptoms that would have continued to a big problem if I hadn’t stopped taking the Nifedipine!”

Jackie January 20, 2021

“I have been dealing with Raynaud’s for 15 years. I live in the south so for 4 months a year, I invest in those hot packs to keep my fingers warm when outside. I also use warm water to warm up my fingers and toes. I love to snow ski but pretty much gave that up. I tried various medications hoping to find something that would help. Amlodipine did not help me. I also tried a couple of other drugs that didn’t work. I saw this site and asked my doctor for nifedipine and I’m taking the one that you take 3 times a day, 10 mg each. It started working the first day! A week later it still works! I haven’t had to run warm water over my fingers, they haven’t turned white or my toes! Because I enjoy wine and after reading some of the other reviews, asked my doctor if I could just take two a day (7am and 2pm) and she said that was fine. I have had no problems with doing this for the last 4 days. I plan to just take this med during the cold months only.”

raven · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I am a 20 year old female who has been struggling to manage raynauds for years. I thought it was totally normal and that everyone experiences the numbness when its a little cold. After starting the nifedipine, results were almost immediate. They day after taking my first dose, I was laying in bed when I noticed my feet felt strange. They were warm, for the first time in what felt like forever. I had full sensation and could move my toes around effortlessly, I was absolutely over the moon. The next day, I’m walking around work and notice how soft and cushiony my feet now feel. It didn't hurt to walk. My hands don't get numb and stiff from 65F weather, and I don't have to sit on my feet at work just to keep the numbness at bay. My life has forever changed for the better now that I can function as a normal person in the cold”

Bam1429 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 28, 2019

“I am physically fit 51 year old male. My job requires me to ride a motorcycle and I also ride bicycles for exercise and competition. I had been dealing with this painful condition of Raynaud's syndrome for several years. It became bad enough that during January, my toes would be numb for about 12 hours of the day. I ended up with painful blisters on the ends of my toes. I finally made an appointment with my PCP and he prescribed Nifedepine 30. It is awesome! No side effects and I only take it during the winter months.”

Ang January 3, 2019

Procardia (nifedipine): “I experienced Raynauds for 20 years. Not just in cold weather. It would happen even when I sometimes walked down the frozen food aisle in a supermarket. One day my cardiologist suggested I try Nifedipine. Said it possibly might help. Hands would get white and numb. Painful too. After 20 yrs, this was such a blessing to finally not have numbness and pain almost every day. I'm very thankful for it. No adverse effects at all!”

Petulz · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2012

Adalat (nifedipine): “I've had no numbness in my fingers or toes since starting this medicine. Before starting I could not even carry a jug of milk without my fingers losing color from lack of blood flow. Even driving with mittens on was a problem. Now circulation is great. Only complaint is the terrible headaches and tiredness and a bit of insomnia. Still trying to decide what's worse....the headaches or the numbness all winter. ”

lgj2 July 7, 2015

Procardia (nifedipine): “This medication is a miracle for me. I have been diagnosed with raynauds over 40 yrs ago and the past 10 yrs I have been taking Procardia. Feels like I don't even suffer from this disease anymore. I highly recommend this drug”

Revtz · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2018

“I suffer from acute Raynaud's, in that I suffer it 24/7 even if in the warm my feet especially can turn into ''blocks of ice'' and I have painful stiffness of the hands and feet and a painful tingling rotating from one to the other all the time - if I get cold it is much worse. I was initially put on Nifedipine 5 mg three times a day which help with the worst symptoms for two months but the body adapted and it no longer helped as much. After tests my GP raised the dosage to 10 mg 3 times a day which has helped the Raynaud's somewhat but I cannot cope with the side effects of dizziness, sternum pain and extreme exhaustion so will have to revert to the lesser dosage of 5 mg which doesn't help me really. I am most disappointed and frustrated and wonder if there is any other help out there ?”

Charliee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2015

“First off I am from England so this drug did not cost a penny, also I am under sixteen and have severe raynauds. My whole hands go white usually 1-3 times a day. It's awfully painful and very annoying so I went to the doctor who prescribed 5mg of Nifedipine 3 times a day. It was great, my fingers and toes stayed normal and I felt fine. I did experience some bad dizziness and nausea for about 3 days so returned to the surgery and they lowered my dose. Since then I have felt comely fine and it's stopped my Raynaud's. The days I have forgotten to administer the drug my fingers have gone back to there old routine so it just proves it works.”

nicknamepicker May 23, 2015

“Diagnosed few years ago. Started on Adalat and holy moly I got use of my hands back in winter. Absolutely amazing. Canada is freaking cold around minus 30 so you can imagine how that works with raynauds. I also have high blood pressure so in my case it is one pill does two jobs.”

jazzNwine · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2014

Procardia (nifedipine): “I started the nifedipine/Procardia this morning. About 4 hours later the rare side effects kicked in. Heart palpitations, dizziness, headache, and I was FREEZING. Even at 43 I still call my mommy. She wasn't thrilled I was going to take it anyway since I have perfect blood pressure. But she recommended laying on my left side. That did help even if it did take awhile for me to get warm again. The headache is still lingering.”

eel125 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2015

“the past several winters the tips of some of my toes turned black and were ice cold , but would return to normal when the weather warmed up. I had tests done at a vascular specialist and had some diminshed circulation to my feet but nothing that required any type of surgery . I was prescribed Nefedipine and within a week or two my toes returned to normal and my feet were much warmer . I only take this drug during the colder months”

Anonymous July 26, 2010

Nifedical XL (nifedipine): “I've been taking this medication for quite a while for Raynaud's. I was concerned about my naturally-low blood pressure but Doctor said it wouldn't be affected. Seems that is the case. As far as Raynaud's, there are a few medicines I take that I describe as "I'm sure it helps, I'm not sure how much, don't want to find out what it's like without it". Also, my Raynaud's is accompanied by Mixed Connective Tissue Disease to complicate matters.”

cold hands December 19, 2015

“I do not have circulation issues, but I do have Reynauds likely as a result of Lupus. I also have BP on the low side. I take this once a day in the winter and have not noticed any of the side effects mentioned (headaches, dizziness) but my already-bad leg/foot cramps get much worse -- sometimes debilitating. To counteract that, I take magnesium in the form of Calm at night...my cramps are much better!! I guess I recommend both... I am wondering what time of day is best to take this..I can have sleep issues and don't want to make that worse.”

Joe-S · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2014

Adalat (nifedipine): “I took this for my Raynaud's and it did help when it was cold, but when I was warm I found myself getting really hot and sweaty when no-one else was. Another thing is DO NOT DRINK WHILE ON THIS TABLET! I did one night and had lots of problems. Apart from that it does what it says.”

TinkerToy March 15, 2012

“I am 55 years of age and have primary Raynaud's. Onset was at about age 45 and for many years I just wore multiple pairs of gloves and used hand warmers when out in cold weather, or avoided cold weather activity. I finally asked my doctor about medication when it became difficult to even grocery shop in the freezer section or go to stores and restaurants that were very cool. I was tired of wearing gloves in the summer! I have taken nifedipine for about nine months (all winter) and it has been great. No side effects to report and even notice that I have a better sense of touch when feeling for pulses (I am a nurse).”

Maggiie October 31, 2013

“I have been taking 1 tablet of Nifedipin(e) XL 30 mg ER for almost 2 years. I stop in the summer and start again when it gets cold and that works well for me. I haven't had any of the side effects such as rashes or headaches but I have been very tired and now that I think of it, it's probably because I've been taking it during the day instead of at night like I used to. The only problem with that is if you like to have a cocktail and for times like that I just don't take it.”

Anonymous January 16, 2012

“I rated this at 50% because I'm not quite sure what's going on and how I feel about it. I have Raynaud's syndrome and my hands and feet are constantly cold, blue, white, etc. If I'm in the heat or long showers, my feet turn bright red and get painful. If I'm doing physical activties my hands get red and swollen. Anyway, I took this medicine for the first time at about 8:30 last night. It's now 4am and my feet are bright red, swollen, and painful, and my only minor relief is to keep my feet elevated (which can get tricky at work). They are warm, and my hands are warm, which is much different than usual, but this swelling is very bothersome. I'm not sure which is worse- before the meds or now. Right now, I think I'd rather take the cold.”

Anonymous June 10, 2010

Procardia (nifedipine): “Previous doctors did nothing to help me resolve attacks. My new doctor suggested ProCardia, but was worried because my blood pressure was low, and I may feel light-headed as a side effect. So far, this has not happened and I have not had an attack since. I wish this was prescribed to me 10 years ago!”

ColdKiwi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 21, 2017

“After years of agonising pain in my fingers and toes exacerbated by army mountain exposure and "halo" training, along with cold water deep scuba work, I was finally diagnosed at 52 and at first put on beta blockers which made things much worse with multiple crippling attacks daily. A secind dictir put me in Adefin (nifidipine) and within 48 hours the pain, the numbness and the symptoms were gone. Now we are experiencing an early severe winter some symptoms have returned, but are still managable on my standard dosage.”

Missyjay8102 January 30, 2013

“I do notice a difference! Headaches were a problem at first but then they went away after about two weeks. You recover quicker from a attack. My left middle finger is completely normal but my right middle finger still a little purple but better for sure! Going to take for the winter months!”

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Procardia (nifedipine): “I am still having Raynaud's attacks, but this medication helps me recover faster from my attacks. Unfortunately it gives me horrible headaches but I have to outweigh the good to the bad, and this medicine is helping me.”

jme7278 March 9, 2012

“I am 33 and have SLE with Raynaulds. I do not have high blood pressure, I am actually on the low side. I took this medicine at 3:30 pm and by 5pm I developed a severe headache, this headache continued all evening and at 9:30pm I was shaking severely, dizzy, and the headache was the worst one I have ever experienced. At that point I started to get very scared. Called my brother over just in case I needed to go to the ER. When he arrived he immediately wanted to call an ambulance. I ended up waiting it out and finally the shaking subsided. The headache still continued the next day, but it was not as severe. The night when everything was going on, I do not remember much of anything. I think from now on I will just keep my blue fingers and toes.”

Weary1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2017

Adalat (nifedipine): “Been on Adalat for the winter period started off good but after 2 months my left leg and ankle swelled and itched like crazy felt like dozens of bees stinging my leg. I knocked the Adalat off and it was OK doctor has now put me on Naftidrofuryl going to try but looks as though there's other side effect's with these tablets but give them a go. Anyone had a re-action with these capsules .”

Anonymous September 25, 2011

“I get particularly bad pain, occasional numbness and lack of motor control in my hands and feet due to quite severe Raynauds. It makes many ordinary tasks like getting out of the sea at the beach incredibly difficult, dangerous and painful. Thankfully my introduction to this wonderful medication means that my attacks are much less frequent, and my partner has remarked at the noticeable sudden warmth in my usually cold as ice hands and feet. The only real drawback is that without a satisfactory amount of food it collaborated with my naturally low blood pressure to make me feel faint, it does not mix well with alcohol and it does not seem to prevent emotion based attacks. None the less, I can carry on living my life normally with it.”

KathySab August 2, 2016

“It most definitely works at stopping my attacks when the cold hits. I used to have attacks all day, even if I just opened the refrigerator to take out the milk my hands would turn white. However, I get really bad muscle spasms. Mostly on my legs, but can be all over. I only take it when the temperature is cold and I know I will be outside watching a sporting event. I just started taking it again this week and have been getting muscle spasms in my jaw and behind my ribs as well as my calfs. It is the old things that allows me to be outside to watch my kids games so I will use it on a limited basis.”

tanning girl July 13, 2011

“I have experienced many ways of taking nifedipine and to get rid of the headaches. My doctors has me taken 30 mg XL 3 times a day instead of 90 mg once a day and I got rid of the headaches and all those other symptoms that you sometimes get.”

Learn more about Raynaud's Syndrome