User Reviews for Nifedipine to treat Raynaud's Syndrome

Also known as: Procardia, Procardia XL, Adalat, Adalat CC Afeditab CR

Nifedipine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Raynaud's Syndrome.

Reviews for Nifedipine

raven · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I am a 20 year old female who has been struggling to manage raynauds for years. I thought it was totally normal and that everyone experiences the numbness when its a little cold. After starting the nifedipine, results were almost immediate. They day after taking my first dose, I was laying in bed when I noticed my feet felt strange. They were warm, for the first time in what felt like forever. I had full sensation and could move my toes around effortlessly, I was absolutely over the moon. The next day, I’m walking around work and notice how soft and cushiony my feet now feel. It didn't hurt to walk. My hands don't get numb and stiff from 65F weather, and I don't have to sit on my feet at work just to keep the numbness at bay. My life has forever changed for the better now that I can function as a normal person in the cold”

Bam1429 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 28, 2019

“I am physically fit 51 year old male. My job requires me to ride a motorcycle and I also ride bicycles for exercise and competition. I had been dealing with this painful condition of Raynaud's syndrome for several years. It became bad enough that during January, my toes would be numb for about 12 hours of the day. I ended up with painful blisters on the ends of my toes. I finally made an appointment with my PCP and he prescribed Nifedepine 30. It is awesome! No side effects and I only take it during the winter months.”

bnewman · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 29, 2019

“I've had Raynaud's for decades and just lived with it. A new rheumatologist said my capillaries could be damaged and prescribed nifedipine. I was surprised at how well it works, no side effects.”

Ang January 3, 2019

Procardia (nifedipine): “I experienced Raynauds for 20 years. Not just in cold weather. It would happen even when I sometimes walked down the frozen food aisle in a supermarket. One day my cardiologist suggested I try Nifedipine. Said it possibly might help. Hands would get white and numb. Painful too. After 20 yrs, this was such a blessing to finally not have numbness and pain almost every day. I'm very thankful for it. No adverse effects at all!”

Revtz · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2018

“I suffer from acute Raynaud's, in that I suffer it 24/7 even if in the warm my feet especially can turn into ''blocks of ice'' and I have painful stiffness of the hands and feet and a painful tingling rotating from one to the other all the time - if I get cold it is much worse. I was initially put on Nifedipine 5 mg three times a day which help with the worst symptoms for two months but the body adapted and it no longer helped as much. After tests my GP raised the dosage to 10 mg 3 times a day which has helped the Raynaud's somewhat but I cannot cope with the side effects of dizziness, sternum pain and extreme exhaustion so will have to revert to the lesser dosage of 5 mg which doesn't help me really. I am most disappointed and frustrated and wonder if there is any other help out there ?”

jbop08 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2017

“Since taking nifedipine (fast acting/quick release), I can keep my Raynaud's symptoms at bay. I take it 10mg 3x a day, and it is a wonder drug.”

ColdKiwi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 21, 2017

“After years of agonising pain in my fingers and toes exacerbated by army mountain exposure and "halo" training, along with cold water deep scuba work, I was finally diagnosed at 52 and at first put on beta blockers which made things much worse with multiple crippling attacks daily. A secind dictir put me in Adefin (nifidipine) and within 48 hours the pain, the numbness and the symptoms were gone. Now we are experiencing an early severe winter some symptoms have returned, but are still managable on my standard dosage.”

Weary1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2017

Adalat (nifedipine): “Been on Adalat for the winter period started off good but after 2 months my left leg and ankle swelled and itched like crazy felt like dozens of bees stinging my leg. I knocked the Adalat off and it was OK doctor has now put me on Naftidrofuryl going to try but looks as though there's other side effect's with these tablets but give them a go. Anyone had a re-action with these capsules .”

KathySab August 2, 2016

“It most definitely works at stopping my attacks when the cold hits. I used to have attacks all day, even if I just opened the refrigerator to take out the milk my hands would turn white. However, I get really bad muscle spasms. Mostly on my legs, but can be all over. I only take it when the temperature is cold and I know I will be outside watching a sporting event. I just started taking it again this week and have been getting muscle spasms in my jaw and behind my ribs as well as my calfs. It is the old things that allows me to be outside to watch my kids games so I will use it on a limited basis.”

cold hands December 19, 2015

“I do not have circulation issues, but I do have Reynauds likely as a result of Lupus. I also have BP on the low side. I take this once a day in the winter and have not noticed any of the side effects mentioned (headaches, dizziness) but my already-bad leg/foot cramps get much worse -- sometimes debilitating. To counteract that, I take magnesium in the form of Calm at night...my cramps are much better!! I guess I recommend both... I am wondering what time of day is best to take this..I can have sleep issues and don't want to make that worse.”

Old Bat December 4, 2015

“I have just been diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome due to my very insufficient vascular blood flow in my legs. I have been nifedipine for 2 days and my feet toes and upper legs are already warmer.”

eel125 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2015

“the past several winters the tips of some of my toes turned black and were ice cold , but would return to normal when the weather warmed up. I had tests done at a vascular specialist and had some diminshed circulation to my feet but nothing that required any type of surgery . I was prescribed Nefedipine and within a week or two my toes returned to normal and my feet were much warmer . I only take this drug during the colder months”

lgj2 July 7, 2015

Procardia (nifedipine): “This medication is a miracle for me. I have been diagnosed with raynauds over 40 yrs ago and the past 10 yrs I have been taking Procardia. Feels like I don't even suffer from this disease anymore. I highly recommend this drug”

nicknamepicker May 23, 2015

“Diagnosed few years ago. Started on Adalat and holy moly I got use of my hands back in winter. Absolutely amazing. Canada is freaking cold around minus 30 so you can imagine how that works with raynauds. I also have high blood pressure so in my case it is one pill does two jobs.”

Charliee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2015

“First off I am from England so this drug did not cost a penny, also I am under sixteen and have severe raynauds. My whole hands go white usually 1-3 times a day. It's awfully painful and very annoying so I went to the doctor who prescribed 5mg of Nifedipine 3 times a day. It was great, my fingers and toes stayed normal and I felt fine. I did experience some bad dizziness and nausea for about 3 days so returned to the surgery and they lowered my dose. Since then I have felt comely fine and it's stopped my Raynaud's. The days I have forgotten to administer the drug my fingers have gone back to there old routine so it just proves it works.”

robmag December 22, 2014

Adalat (nifedipine): “NIfedipine helps”

jazzNwine · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2014

Procardia (nifedipine): “I started the nifedipine/Procardia this morning. About 4 hours later the rare side effects kicked in. Heart palpitations, dizziness, headache, and I was FREEZING. Even at 43 I still call my mommy. She wasn't thrilled I was going to take it anyway since I have perfect blood pressure. But she recommended laying on my left side. That did help even if it did take awhile for me to get warm again. The headache is still lingering.”

Joe-S · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2014

Adalat (nifedipine): “I took this for my Raynaud's and it did help when it was cold, but when I was warm I found myself getting really hot and sweaty when no-one else was. Another thing is DO NOT DRINK WHILE ON THIS TABLET! I did one night and had lots of problems. Apart from that it does what it says.”

Mom from Indy December 17, 2013

Adalat (nifedipine): “Taken for migraines, this also 100% removed my Raynauds”

Maggiie October 31, 2013

“I have been taking 1 tablet of Nifedipin(e) XL 30 mg ER for almost 2 years. I stop in the summer and start again when it gets cold and that works well for me. I haven't had any of the side effects such as rashes or headaches but I have been very tired and now that I think of it, it's probably because I've been taking it during the day instead of at night like I used to. The only problem with that is if you like to have a cocktail and for times like that I just don't take it.”

eleith · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 15, 2013

“Works well and helps with hand pain from tendonitis.”

DaisyMa · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 7, 2013

Adalat (nifedipine): “It works very well to control Raynaud's. It makes a huge difference.”

Missyjay8102 January 30, 2013

“I do notice a difference! Headaches were a problem at first but then they went away after about two weeks. You recover quicker from a attack. My left middle finger is completely normal but my right middle finger still a little purple but better for sure! Going to take for the winter months!”

Petulz · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2012

Adalat (nifedipine): “I've had no numbness in my fingers or toes since starting this medicine. Before starting I could not even carry a jug of milk without my fingers losing color from lack of blood flow. Even driving with mittens on was a problem. Now circulation is great. Only complaint is the terrible headaches and tiredness and a bit of insomnia. Still trying to decide what's worse....the headaches or the numbness all winter. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 22, 2012

“It works okay for mild to moderate cold exposure but not for long term or very cold temperatures.”

Learn more about Raynaud's Syndrome

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)