User Reviews for Nifedipine to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Procardia, Procardia XL, Adalat CC, Adalat, Afeditab CR

Nifedipine Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Nifedipine

bt · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

“This drug nifedipine is truly awful. I first experienced swollen feet and ankles. Then sleep problems. After several hours I wake and can't go back to sleep. Extreme fatique. Extreme weakness particularly in arms and shoulders and upper back. I can't get anything done around the house. And now finally breathing problems. It works, but it is not worth the side effects because you aren't really living being on this medicine. I've been on it about 6 weeks. So much for modern medicine...My doctor is going to put me on something else soon”

JackieG74 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2020

“The first 9 or 10 months on nifedipine for high BP I had a lot of the same side effects others have mentioned. Specifically dizziness, headache, extreme fatigue, edema in my ankles and feet, muscle weakness, flushing, etc. I have even had some hallucinations, not sure I can attribute that to the medication though. A couple of months ago the dosage was increased from 30mg to 60mg because there was a stretch where it wasn't seemingly working as well. Well the 60 mg was working okay at first, then we started working from home and it kept dropping my blood pressure to dangerous levels, to the point of passing out. I went back to 30 mg and my blood pressure is close to where it needs to be some of the time but it seems to be the best I can get on this medication. Close, but no cigar, as they say. I'm mostly upset with the swelling in my legs and feet, I can't wear my shoes anymore or some of my pants and to get the swelling down I have to lie down with my feet up for at least half a day to be able to slip on shoes.”

NervousNellie · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

“I took my very first dose of nifedipine 30 mg ER at 1:30 pm and felt great. At 3:30 pm I started with the flushing and rapid heartbeat/pulse. Then I panicked which made it worse. Called Dr he said stop it and it will take a few days for all the meds to leave your system. Now it is on to the next experiment. I abhor trying new meds, especially for the heart.”

Red August 14, 2020

“I was having a lot of side affects from my other blood pressure meds, maybe that is common. Fatigue and restlessness and heart palpitations. After being tried on lisinopril, losartan and clonadine at different times, I felt none of them were safe. That the side affects were too bad...but I was very wrong. When they put me on time release nefedipine, my side affects increased, and they were so bad, I had to go off of it suddenly, I almost lost my life, my legs swelled with oedema, veins were popping up, I was having chest pains, my blood pressure was rising and falling, pressure behind my eyes, I was super close to stroking out or a heart attack I was told. I am still recovering. I have to take something so I started back on losartan.. My dr is no help.. I don't know what to do.”

Jc needs healing · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

“I was put on this because it was thought that Labetalol was causing breathing problems with my pregnancy. Turns out the shortness of breath was due to Covid. This medication really makes me miss Labetalol, which my insurance now won't cover :( My heart has been racing, the headaches are severe and frightening, my muscles ache, I can barely sleep (whilst also feeling very fatigued) and my mouth is super dry. I can't do this anymore. I already have terrible anxiety. My bp was on average about 130/80 beforehand. So it did lower my bp in the 125s/70s range. I really hope my OBGYN has another med safe for hypertension during pregnancy I can take. Lisinopril never made me feel so awful. Pray for me please.”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

“I was initially on HCTZ (25mg) before pregnancy. BP was perfect through out my entire pregnancy, but after having DD, my BP increased. I started taking Toprol XL (25mg) and it increased my pressure to triple digits systolic and diastolic! I was then started on Nifedipine (30mg 1x/day) a few days ago and I’ve experienced the worst headaches. I am now swelling in my ankles and having the shakes in my hands. My BP is still in the triple digits and it’s stressing me out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

“Nifedipine is the worst drug I have ever taken in my life..I have known NO peace at all for the past two months since I started taking it. My side effects from the nifedipine is headaches, dizziness, SHAKING ,TREMBLING, feel like am floating in water, feel like something is crawling on my body”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

“Horrible headaches and off feeling, made me light headed as well”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“My doctor switched me to this nifedipine medication since we are TTC. She prescribed 30mg ER tablets. About an hour after taking my first dose I get a throbbing headache, nausea and can't sleep (I take it at night before bed) an hour later at 1:30am I get up to use the bathroom and it feels like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I stand still for a few minutes and try to calm down and let my watch take my heart rate and it comes back at 139bpm standing still and it still feels like my heart is going to pop out of my chest. I wake up my husband (he's an EMT) and have him check my bp and heart rate. Bp is 138/88 which isn't bad for me but still not where it should be and heart rate while sitting is 95bpm but still pounding. The next morning any time I stand up my heart rate spikes to over 100bpm and I had a throbbing headache and nausea most of the day and it lasted well after the 24hrs that the medication is supposed to last. Will not be taking this medication ever again.”

Amen75 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“I have been on nifedipine 30 mg for 7 days I have the shakes right now, my chest feels tight. It’s 1:25 am I can’t sleep. My heart is racing and my blood pressure is still high this whole time! The first 2 days it was 80 over 60 now it’s kinda high at 154/87 I been having headaches. I’m always tired this sucks. Tonight will be the last time I take nifedipine.”

Chip April 26, 2020

“While taken nifedipine for 3 months I recently started having really bad shakes and tremors especially in my legs! I can barely sleep. Have anyone else had these symptoms”

Vally1978 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 21, 2020

“I was prescribed 30 mg nifedipine for the longest time with no major issues but after a while stopped controlling my blood pressure. After increasing to 60 mg once per day I started to have the worst side effects... Lightheadedness, flushed face and body, and then the heart would start racing. Even led to a 911 call in the middle of the night. Going back to 30mg now and might end up off of it all together. Controlled my blood pressure wonderfully at the higher dose but can't stand the side effects.”

Anonymous February 29, 2020

“I have been on 30mg Nifepidine for almost 2 months now. I feel warmness (something like a low grade heat) on the left side of my body from face to toe. The symptoms seem to go away if I missed a dose for a day or two. I am also on Valsartan, but I do not believe that it is cause of these symptoms as I have been on Valsartan for more than 2 years and never had these symptoms. It has completely killed my libido and erection. I will have to contact my dr. to find a remedy or I will drop this med. My bp control has not been that effective (averaging 130/85 and I am only 53) for me to trade sexual enjoyment.”

Mikejr · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

“I took procardia for about 3 years while in college, and I was at a point I was sleeping 18+ hours a day and still tired all the time, I had put on about 60 lbs., and felt horrible and my blood pressure was erratic at best. I HATED this medication!!!!”

White female 58 February 22, 2020

“dr increased my Lisinopril from 10mg 2x daily to 20mg 2xDaily yet BP high. Dr added Nifedipine Extended Release 30 mg 2x daily. First pill PM: 1/2 hour very warm face, mild head ache, voice changed. 1 hour BP down, I was thrilled. Face stayed warm, ears felt a bit itchy, Throat sore plugged, voice raspy. 2nd pill in am: face very warm, throat sore, ears itchy, BP still down. Felt good about results and figured side effects better than high BP. THEN third pill in PM: very sore throat, voice cuts in and out, raspy and I loose my voice 50% of words said. Feels like my throat is cut with razors. Mild headache, ears feel plugged face very warm , throat swollen under jaw both sides (balls size of walnuts) can’t sleep it is 1am and my husband is monitoring me as I lay with bag of frozen corn on my neck to help reduce swelling and throat pain. I wont take another and feel like if I did my throat would close off. Bottom on my mouth feels fluid filled and fleshy.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

“I was prescribed Nifedipine 60mg after a visit to the dr with a blood pressure being 186/100. I took the medicine and started feeling worse with horrible headaches for 3 days and on the 3rd day I was rushed to the ER and admitted to the hospital because I had a T.I.A. (Mini stroke) and a BP 211/126. Once the medication left my system my blood pressure stabilized. This medication is not for everyone.”

Meekay · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was prescribed Nifedipine during a visit to the ER with BP 179/104. After taking the first dose, my BP lowered to 130/80. I have been taking Nifedipine for about three months now and this is the only bp med I have been able to tolerate. My bp has been steady at 116/70 - 120/72. Side effects: severe headache when I first started taking the medication. After 3 days the headache went away. They only return when I miss a dose. Constipation Heart palpitations (frightening) Trouble sleeping due to vivid dreams and nightmares. Constant urination (I take my pill at night) Calf pain that comes and goes; same with swelling in my feet but not as much.”

Sierrabloom · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

Procardia XL (nifedipine): “At first I liked it, but them my feet and calves got very swollen. I stopped it and increased my verapamil, but I am swollen after two days.”

Uppsala · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“Was given nifedipine 40mg while in the hospital for my high BP. It gave me stroke-like symptoms. I couldn't talk, move & left side of face drooped. The "stroke team" was called to my bedside. 8 Drs were clambering over me, yet I could not communicate one iota!”

Zebra November 26, 2019

“Started in October 2019, nifedipine 60mg, along with Spironalactone, 25mg, in the morning. Take Metropol, 25mg, at night. High blood pressure detected past January 2019 (age 82). Started on Amlodipine; spironlactone was added. While it did move the bp lower, it was still high. Was also taking Metropol. Significant drop since started with Nifedipine and seems to be holding. Side effect: perhaps more urinating at night. Heart issue: Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.”

Duffman59 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

“Dizzy three days after discontinuing.”

Duffman59 · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

“nifedipine did drop my high blood pressure. But I also felt tired, lousy, dizzy, difficulty sleeping, lightheaded, shortness of breath (used Ventolin to get a full breath)and my doctor said to stop it after two weeks now. I hope there are other options. Lisinopril seems to be a favorite amongst my peers. Wish me luck.”

Janedoe · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“Started Nifedipine 90mg ER once a day, after giving birth to my son. Immediately I noticed strange symptoms but blew it off thinking it was my anxiety. 3 weeks later I realized that its was the medicine that was giving me terrible anxiety. I’ve experienced, chest burning, pain in my hands, flutters, chest pain, tingling in legs, diarrhea, shortness of breath, and lightheadedness. Just plain awful. If side effects get worse I’ll be heading to the ER.”

Kate · Taken for 10 years or more August 4, 2019

“I have been on nifedipine 30 mg for 14 yrs fo rBP. Generic and it has kept my BP normal. No problems”

RockyBoy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 29, 2019

Afeditab CR (nifedipine): “I have been on Nifedipine ER for a year to treat my B/P and I take it with Metoprolol & Losartan. The nifedipine has been effective in keeping my B/P stable (the Metoprolol & Losartan by themselves not so much). However, I have to put up with bad side effects - swelling of feet, some heart palpitations, flushing of face (on & off), sleep disturbances, really bad neck & shoulder muscle pain, these side effects will last from 4-6 hrs while the nifedipine is working in my body. I’m talking to my doctor about getting a possible substitute to see if has less side effects. I don’t know if these side effects are very common but this has been my experience.”