User Reviews for Nifedipine to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Procardia, Adalat, Procardia XL, Adalat CC Afeditab CR

Nifedipine has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 74 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 24% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Nifedipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Nifedipine

CC October 14, 2020

“I take nifedipine 60mg 2x a day. First started with 30mg 1x a day, my blood pressure was still high so Dr increased to 60mg a day and 30 mg at night. Later switched it to 60mg 2x a day. Side effects in the beginning dizziness and fast heart rate. At times it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest when I would wake up in the middle of the night. Then the twitching in my left hand told my dr told to keep taking the medicine. I would get really cold and shiver so I drove myself to the ER because my body was so cold Dr still kept me on this medicine. I have headaches, insomnia and anxiety. Dr kept me on this medicine and prescribe me anxiety pills. Now I have tingling in my feet, legs, hands, arms and the top of my head. I'm also having muscle spasms in my calves, thighs, arms and hands. These headaches are getting 10x worse. I have pressure in my head and chills going through my head with a burning sensation in the back of my head.”

Red August 14, 2020

“I was having a lot of side affects from my other blood pressure meds, maybe that is common. Fatigue and restlessness and heart palpitations. After being tried on lisinopril, losartan and clonadine at different times, I felt none of them were safe. That the side affects were too bad...but I was very wrong. When they put me on time release nefedipine, my side affects increased, and they were so bad, I had to go off of it suddenly, I almost lost my life, my legs swelled with oedema, veins were popping up, I was having chest pains, my blood pressure was rising and falling, pressure behind my eyes, I was super close to stroking out or a heart attack I was told. I am still recovering. I have to take something so I started back on losartan.. My dr is no help.. I don't know what to do.”

Meekay · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was prescribed Nifedipine during a visit to the ER with BP 179/104. After taking the first dose, my BP lowered to 130/80. I have been taking Nifedipine for about three months now and this is the only bp med I have been able to tolerate. My bp has been steady at 116/70 - 120/72. Side effects: severe headache when I first started taking the medication. After 3 days the headache went away. They only return when I miss a dose. Constipation Heart palpitations (frightening) Trouble sleeping due to vivid dreams and nightmares. Constant urination (I take my pill at night) Calf pain that comes and goes; same with swelling in my feet but not as much.”

MsLearns June 5, 2021

“Worst med I ever taken in my life no exaggeration. It gave me very bad dizziness and lightheadedness & chest discomfort. I have never written a review on any medication but after my experience, I felt quite compelled to do so it’s awful, I would advise to proceed with extreme caution. I took this for 3 days and I felt horrible and ended up in hospital. Needless to say, my cardiologist took me off of this .”

Autumn · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 23, 2020

“Been using Nifedipine ER for 2 years. The last three months, I started noticing more side effects. With the process of eliminating all meds except for the Nifedipine ER, the side effects were definitely from the Nifedipine ER. More swelling in my feet & ankles & even my arms. Made me more stuffy, fatigued & tired after only mild exertion, bloating & constipation. The worst of it was the tachycardia I was experiencing. It was coming on anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours after taking it. I have been diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia a long time ago & it never bothered me until recently. It must be something new they are putting in the Nifedipine ER. IF YOU HAVE TACHYCARDIA, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. IT WILL MAKE YOUR TACHYCARDIA WORSE. It also didn’t keep my blood pressure steady. Doctor tried adjusting the dosage & it didn’t work & made the side effects worse. BEWARE OF THIS MEDICATION.”

Terry May 6, 2019

“Been taking this medicine off and on for close to a year, switching doctors trying to get away from it. It’s like they are pushing this medicine on people or if you have not that good of insurance it’s like you only have a certain group of blood pressure medicine they will let you take Well I started on 30 mg nifedipine and told the doctor of breathing problems severe headaches back pain shoulder pain shortness of breath and he upped it to 60 mg what craziness is this ? This medication is very wicked should be taken off the market. I feel this medication is used for mental patients one minute I’m hot one minute, I’m sweating one minute, I’m cold one minute I’m shaking and the headaches are out of this world they should look deeper into this medication. The FDA should take it off the market is no good I’m still searching to find a doctor to prescribe some good medication. Shat happened to all the good medication that was out there a few years ago”

Kelsey · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 30, 2021

“I’ve been on this medicine for 2.5 years. Let me tell you this, the brand makes a difference!!! I was on Procardia XL for 2 years and it was fine! No issues except a tinge of flushing/water retention. Nothing too noticeable or that needed treatment. Then I moved and my new pharmacy gave me Novast which is another brand of Nifedipine. That was awful!!!!!! I mean awful! Episodes of tachycardia, intense flushing, my body would feel heavy. I just paid 80$ for Procardia. Novast is 8$ on my insurance. I don’t care!!!! Never going back to that brand. Procardia works great for my bp. I’m on 30mg.”

Jc needs healing · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

“I was put on this because it was thought that Labetalol was causing breathing problems with my pregnancy. Turns out the shortness of breath was due to Covid. This medication really makes me miss Labetalol, which my insurance now won't cover :( My heart has been racing, the headaches are severe and frightening, my muscles ache, I can barely sleep (whilst also feeling very fatigued) and my mouth is super dry. I can't do this anymore. I already have terrible anxiety. My bp was on average about 130/80 beforehand. So it did lower my bp in the 125s/70s range. I really hope my OBGYN has another med safe for hypertension during pregnancy I can take. Lisinopril never made me feel so awful. Pray for me please.”

NervousNellie · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

“I took my very first dose of nifedipine 30 mg ER at 1:30 pm and felt great. At 3:30 pm I started with the flushing and rapid heartbeat/pulse. Then I panicked which made it worse. Called Dr he said stop it and it will take a few days for all the meds to leave your system. Now it is on to the next experiment. I abhor trying new meds, especially for the heart.”

RockyBoy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 29, 2019

Afeditab CR (nifedipine): “I have been on Nifedipine ER for a year to treat my B/P and I take it with Metoprolol & Losartan. The nifedipine has been effective in keeping my B/P stable (the Metoprolol & Losartan by themselves not so much). However, I have to put up with bad side effects - swelling of feet, some heart palpitations, flushing of face (on & off), sleep disturbances, really bad neck & shoulder muscle pain, these side effects will last from 4-6 hrs while the nifedipine is working in my body. I’m talking to my doctor about getting a possible substitute to see if has less side effects. I don’t know if these side effects are very common but this has been my experience.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

“I react poorly to BP meds. I have taken different drugs for many years always combined with strong allergy medicine do to severe hay fever. When I started taking BP meds, the allergy drugs apparently masked side effects the drugs were giving me. After many years it tore up my entire digestive system. I stopped taking everything. It took months for them to wear off. I never felt better. One day 2 years after stopping my BP is 180+/110+. Primary care said too high, and we began trying BP meds again. With out allergy medicine, my side effect symptoms were immediate, nausea, headaches and dizziness. Sick all day. I stopped all BP meds again and felt great again. Then we tried nifedipine XR. Within 1 hour I had insomnia followed by an extreme debilitating headache, nausea, dizziness and my BP soared. I have never been this sick. The effects have lasted now for 5 days. I only took one 30mg dose! For me and many others this drug causes severe reactions. I don't think it should be on the market.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

“Nifedipine is the worst drug I have ever taken in my life..I have known NO peace at all for the past two months since I started taking it. My side effects from the nifedipine is headaches, dizziness, SHAKING ,TREMBLING, feel like am floating in water, feel like something is crawling on my body”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“My doctor switched me to this nifedipine medication since we are TTC. She prescribed 30mg ER tablets. About an hour after taking my first dose I get a throbbing headache, nausea and can't sleep (I take it at night before bed) an hour later at 1:30am I get up to use the bathroom and it feels like my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I stand still for a few minutes and try to calm down and let my watch take my heart rate and it comes back at 139bpm standing still and it still feels like my heart is going to pop out of my chest. I wake up my husband (he's an EMT) and have him check my bp and heart rate. Bp is 138/88 which isn't bad for me but still not where it should be and heart rate while sitting is 95bpm but still pounding. The next morning any time I stand up my heart rate spikes to over 100bpm and I had a throbbing headache and nausea most of the day and it lasted well after the 24hrs that the medication is supposed to last. Will not be taking this medication ever again.”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

“I was initially on HCTZ (25mg) before pregnancy. BP was perfect through out my entire pregnancy, but after having DD, my BP increased. I started taking Toprol XL (25mg) and it increased my pressure to triple digits systolic and diastolic! I was then started on Nifedipine (30mg 1x/day) a few days ago and I’ve experienced the worst headaches. I am now swelling in my ankles and having the shakes in my hands. My BP is still in the triple digits and it’s stressing me out.”

alady · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

“I was switched from Enalapril 10mg, which was causing hair loss and not controlling my blood pressure very well to 30mg Procardia (generic). As soon as my second day on it, I had a headache (unusual for me) and felt extremely tired. My blood pressure was down to 132/88 and I was pleased. On the third day, I started with insomnia, worse headache, I felt anxious, dizzy and foggy. In the afternoon, my feet started feeling weird and my blood pressure was elevated again (154/90). I was also starting to feel very depressed. I called my doctor and he told me to stop taking the medication. I'd rather lose weight and exercise to control my blood pressure than experience these side effects!”

Amen75 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“I have been on nifedipine 30 mg for 7 days I have the shakes right now, my chest feels tight. It’s 1:25 am I can’t sleep. My heart is racing and my blood pressure is still high this whole time! The first 2 days it was 80 over 60 now it’s kinda high at 154/87 I been having headaches. I’m always tired this sucks. Tonight will be the last time I take nifedipine.”

bt · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

“This drug nifedipine is truly awful. I first experienced swollen feet and ankles. Then sleep problems. After several hours I wake and can't go back to sleep. Extreme fatique. Extreme weakness particularly in arms and shoulders and upper back. I can't get anything done around the house. And now finally breathing problems. It works, but it is not worth the side effects because you aren't really living being on this medicine. I've been on it about 6 weeks. So much for modern medicine...My doctor is going to put me on something else soon”

Brad · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2018

“I took 1 nifedipine at 5am, and an hour later my blood pressure was lowered significantly. In fact, too low. For the next 24 hours, my heart was racing, and it felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. As I lied in bed trying to get to sleep, I could hear my heart pounding. I could not get to sleep. I called the doctor immediately, and she told me to stop the medicine. It is now almost 3 days later, and my heart rate is still elevated, ranging from 85 to 107. My normal heart rate is between 60 and 80 resting. Fortunately, my heart is not pounding, just beating faster than normal. I have no idea how long it will take before it goes back to normal, or if it will go back to normal. For me, this drug has been a disaster. I feel like I am on the verge of having a heart attack.”

Anonymous February 6, 2020

“I was prescribed Nifedipine 60mg after a visit to the dr with a blood pressure being 186/100. I took the medicine and started feeling worse with horrible headaches for 3 days and on the 3rd day I was rushed to the ER and admitted to the hospital because I had a T.I.A. (Mini stroke) and a BP 211/126. Once the medication left my system my blood pressure stabilized. This medication is not for everyone.”

Comer January 25, 2011

Procardia XL (nifedipine): “I've been taking Procardia XL for about 4 years now. My blood pressure stays fairly consistent. The only negative is that my feet and lower legs (knees down) swell a little when I'm standing for a long time. Fluids must accumulate in my lower extremities, I don't urinate as much when I'm standing, then urinate more than usual after I lay horizontal for a while. It does do a good job controlling the blood pressure and I only have to take 1 tablet a day.”

Mrs. Whipple February 6, 2018

“nifedipine Er (XI) 30 mg Does great job controlling blood pressure, but the side effects are getting too much to bear. Memory loss, muscle cramps/stiffness, dry mouth and lips and tingling around lips, dry throat, increased urination, severe itching (head, hands, forearms, face), shakiness, upper (r) abdominal pain, vision changes, drastic hair loss, trouble sleeping. Put shod foot on floor and couldn't tell if it was on floor or not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2012

Procardia XL (nifedipine): “Works well for me other than the constipation it has caused since I began using it. My blood pressure was 180/90 and when combined with carvedilol, Edarbyclor XL and Procardia it is now running 120/60 average. After 30 years of very high uncontrolled hypertension it's refreshing to have BP this low. One doctor I was going to gave me a medicine that caused my BP to skyrocket to 200/100. ”

raburn2906 April 4, 2008

“Wow, after trying four different medications to lower my blood pressure with no success, nifedipine keeps my bp @ 118/76 as an average. So far I have had no side effects, as I have been taking the medication for almost five months.”

Janedoe · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“Started Nifedipine 90mg ER once a day, after giving birth to my son. Immediately I noticed strange symptoms but blew it off thinking it was my anxiety. 3 weeks later I realized that its was the medicine that was giving me terrible anxiety. I’ve experienced, chest burning, pain in my hands, flutters, chest pain, tingling in legs, diarrhea, shortness of breath, and lightheadedness. Just plain awful. If side effects get worse I’ll be heading to the ER.”

Red Man · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2013

“I have been on Nifedipine 30MG for 1 week for High Blood Pressure. Feel shaky inside, legs stay cold, joint aches, insomnia, and skin tingles at night. I take this medicine along with my Losartan. I hope I can get over all the side effects.”