User Reviews for Nefazodone

7.5

Summary of Nefazodone reviews 8.7 46 reviews

Reviews for Nefazodone

Cora · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "This is an update, nefazodone 100mg/day @ 3+ months since I started nefazodone for migraine. Had my liver panel and it's normal. Because of those results my doctor allowed me to double the dose and it's possible my migraines are even less now on the 200mg dose, but I'll wait a few more months if this is a real result. No side effects. If this does control my migraines and not fail my liver, this will be the absolute best off-label medication treatment I've tried for migraine."

Dee · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

For Depression: "I've read comments about not being able 2 get serzone which is true but I live in Pa & I get the generic Nefazodone. Thank goodness this is still available I hope they never take this off the market. I've been taking it for years. It's the only thing that works 4 me. I get my regular liver function test every 6 months but it's the best"

Reviewer321 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2019

For Depression: "I had some success with nefazadone for anxiety and depression but it has caused liver problems. My liver panels are huge and I have experienced jaundice after having a healthy liver all my life."

Santa Rosa · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed Serzone in 1999 at the onset of major clinical depression. I was under care of my GP and a psychologist. I experienced hallucinations and heard voices. My psychologist was worried about the drug, especially when I told her about the day I was being told to fly with the birds and as a blast of cold wind blew me out of trance, found I'd climbed my balcony and was about to jump off. I ran indoors and locked myself in. I was referred to a psychiatrist who immediately took me off Serzone and started me on Effexor XR. I researched Serzone on the internet and saw many legal class actions against the drug company on the grounds it causes suicidal ideation in some patients. Effexor, like all psychiatric drugs, comes with its own drawbacks, but has been safer and more effective for me. I continue to be on anti depressant Effexor medication to this day 20 years' later. Major depression is an insidious disorder."

Birdie Girl · Taken for 10 years or more June 8, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "I was first diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and social anxiety disorder about 18 years ago. Under the guidance of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, I was prescribed a fairly new drug - Serzone. Relief came within 1/2 hour after taking my first dose. I have no side effects. It is a fabulous drug."

PW_in_Irvine · Taken for 10 years or more April 15, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone) for : "I starting experiencing anxiety and panic attacks in graduate school at age 22 and was diagnosed with hypochondriasis and agoraphobia a few years later. For 20+ years thereafter I tried more than two dozen medications, including benzodiazepines, tricyclics, AMOIs, and SSRIs, all with no success. At age 48 my new psychiatrist recommended that I try Serzone (nefazodone) along with a small dose (1 mg at bedtime) of Klonopin (clonazepam). This combination worked tremendously. I have taken both medications continuously for 25 years (I'm 67 now) and I haven't suffered a panic attack, or from hypochondiasis or agoraphobia since 1995. I take 200 mg of nefazodone per day (at bedtime)."

Decades · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2019

For Depression: "Been on Serzone / Nefazodone 22 years. My liver has been fine for 22 years, this Medicine Saved my Life, and was the only thing that worked for me ! Right now it is on Manufacturer Backorder till April. I got enough to last, it has saved my Life, PLEASE never discontinue this lifesaver for some of us, especially those of us who have been on it long term like me for 22 years"

valley70 · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "I went on Elavil to try to help severe migraine. While it was somewhat helpful for the headaches, it immediately began making me gain weight. I put on 40 pounds, and it was a shock because I had never been overweight before. I was 42. I changed doctors, and she put me on Serzone. Within a week I dropped 4 pounds! I was so excited, I began walking again and trying to lose weight. Overall, I lost the 40 pounds and kept it off. Then Serzone was banned, and I had to change antidepressants. The weight piled on, and in six months I gained 60 pounds on Cymbalta. Now, I’m in my late 60s and my new doctor refuses to let me try Nefazodone , which is now available again. I’m so angry. I’ve dropped that doc and am going to a new psychiatrist next week. Here’s hoping she is more brave and understanding and will let me switch to Nefazodone. I hope I can still lose weight even though I’m 25 years older. Being overweight makes me more depressed than any of my life’s problems."

Redbird1 December 24, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have depression and OCD. Nefazodone (Serzone) changed my life. The chains of OCD and depression fell off within 2 months of starting this medicine. This medication was an answer to prayer. I have been off and on SSRIs but they did not help much. Paxil was the only medication that helped my OCD but the side effects were bad. I have not experienced any sexual side effects, weight gain, or fatigue with Nefazodone. Its been a wonder drug for me."

Dave · Taken for 10 years or more April 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medication for 18 years, and thankful that I found it. It was the only medication I found that would reduce job related stress/anxiety enough to let me sleep decently and not affect sexual function. The only reason I rated this a 7 instead of 10 is because I have developed some tolerance to it (I am at max dose of 600mg). I have had to also take large doses of SAM-E as well, but it does still work. It is still available from at least 1 pharmaceutical company."

Nicole7832 February 10, 2018

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "Serzone was a miracle drug for me. I’ve tried almost every anti-depressant and they all had horrible side effects and did nothing to alleviate my depression. Serzone made me feel like I could finally see things clearly. I felt as if a veil had been lifted and no longer felt like I was in a fog. Whereas before going for a walk, cleaning house, self-care seemed like a monumental feat, after serzone everything became easy. I didn’t feel like these tasks were an insurmountable hurdle. Basic tasks became simple and I could finally see beyond my depression. I write this now as I’m back to suffering severe depression and searching for a drug similar to serzone as I think they took it off the market."

Teton December 24, 2017

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "I was in a major depression after my baby died in the second trimester. Thoughts of suicide, the works. When I finally reached out for help I was put on serzone....truly a miracle drug. I was young, 28 and never had side effects. After a year I weaned off. Three years later I had my daughter and started spiralling downward, post partum - after you have a baby it is supposed to be the happiest time! I reached out for help and could no longer obtain serzone. I have literally been on EVERY antidepressant for the past 16 years. Nothing has worked like serzone. I am in a bad spot depression-wise again and am thinking it will be worth the liver risk to try to feel normal again."

Aime_Joseph August 2, 2017

For Anxiety: "This drug changed my whole life. Suffering from anxiety depression, it did not feel or look like depression; nevertheless it was. Mostly this expressed in anxiety, especially new events or chores, not to mention jobs or large changes. Within 4 weeks, the Psychiatrist asked me if it was helping; I wasn't sure, but, within 8, I told him, "I feel like...me!" That was 20 YEARS ago. It still works and, no, that is not an illusion. I have tried to gently go off several times under doctor's care, and always return to my unsettled state of fear. I have had a successful career and personal life, am healthy and content. Nefazodone save me."

JesyRay · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been taking antidepressants since 1999. I've taken most every SSRI plus many others that never worked long. I have MDD & GAD. I've never taken any med that actually worked. Celexa lasted a/b 2 yrs. then stopped. I needed help earlier this year, admitted myself. My Dr played with my med regimen for a bit but there's always trial & error w/ these meds. He kept asking me a/b all these different meds to see if I tried before. I had. He finally told me a/b Nefazodone & gave me it's full hx. I got that weed "high" for a few days (inc. fatigue nausea blurred vision). Ithe went away after a week or 2 but I also explained to Dr the only word I could use for it was ecstasy. It made me feel so much better. No more side effects either!"

Jenna1201 · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2016

For Depression: "I had high hopes for this med based on reviews and pharmacological profile, however I was unable to get through the initiation period. It felt as if I was very intoxicated with a bad hangover at the same time; dizziness, blurred vision, unsteady gait with stumbling and falling, horrible stomach cramping and dry heaving with a migraine. I started at 100mg at bedtime, and as the days went on, the side effects progressed. I also felt more depressed, but who wouldn't being unable to function. I wish it had worked out better. Everyone is different. My advise would be, if you experience side effects of the nature I did, I would discontinue and save yourself from dealing with them being much worse. Otherwise, give it a try!"

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 4, 2016

For Depression: "I first started taking Serzone after a brain injury in 1987 it work great, then they decide to take it off the market. I then took the generic Nefazodone and it has help me more then other drugs for depression. I wish they kept the Serzone it did work better, but the only one I could tolerate was Nefazodone every other drug made me sick. PS it is hard to get the prescription filled in the Seattle area."

Reserve123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took my first dose of Nefazodone this morning at about 10:30 for anxiety, I went about it with being hopeful because I read all the positive things about this drug on this website, And I have to say it is not worth it. I got 60 pills yesterday and though I would take as prescribe by my physician 100 mg. twice a day. I would NEVER take this medication again, it is probably just me but within an hour after taking it, I got weak in my legs and arms, my head started feeling weird, I felt anxious, more than I did before I took this medication. It may just be me but I won't take another dose of this, I take Doxepin 25 mg twice a day and I thought I would get something better that wasn't a WAIT GAIN medication, but I would rather carry the we"

Wibblet · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2016

For Depression: "Nefazodone was finally the first antidepressant to work for me. Unfortunately, six months into the treatment I started losing my memory and cognitive abilities. It's been six months since I've stopped the Nefazodone and I still haven't gotten my memory back fully. I'm honestly scared right now because it feels permanent. I looked it up online and other people have gotten the same side effect. At first I chose memory loss over depression but then it got the point where if I just took my medicine I wouldn't remember if I took it or not. So I chose depression over memory loss. Now I'm depressed again and have memory loss."

Threse October 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been dealing with major depression and terrible anxiety for the last 40 years. I had tried at least 6 different antidepressants, none of them really helped until one doctor put me on the nefazodone. Within 3 weeks what a difference, the relief, the sadness the anxiety, the panic feeling all lifted. This medicine pretty much saved my life. To this day I still take it. It's a wonderful medicine. I hope they never take this off the market."

Burak August 20, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have tried everything for my OCD. Nefazadone is the best one so far. It is an awesome medication for Intrusive thoughts."

353535 July 23, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "No side effects. Works great. Give it a try."

xjb99mr July 17, 2015

For Depression: "Nefazodone changed my life. I have taken it for 17 years. Within ten days of first taking it, I stopped dwelling on negative things in life, found myself laughing more thanI had since I was a teen. And, my communication skills increased dramatically. No more brain farts, searching for words from time to time. I get blood tests 4 times a year to be liver safe. Nefazodone taken in evening,helps you sleep too. It's a wonder drug"

Mistifalx · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2015

Serzone (nefazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Minimal side effects. Last resort after many years on other antidepressants that I couldn't tolerate the side effects with or just plain didn't work"

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 11, 2015

For Depression: "This was the 5th med I tried for anxiety/depression and it changed my life. After only a week or so, I laughed again. It gave me my life back. Had to ween off, for about a year no insurance and it's kinda expensive. Serzone, then nefazodone, was a miracle for me. No side effects except a little nausea in the morning if I didn't eat something first, then that went away."

An RN from PA · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 27, 2014

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "My PCP prescribed Serzone for me after I described typical symptoms of depression. As an RN I didn't want to feel "medicated" & never did. This medicine gave me back myself. I was on it for about 4 yrs then switched to Paxil for about 2 yrs and then taken off all together. I haven't been on any medicines for depression in 7 yrs as my divorce is long over & I am well healed - Amen! I would recommend Serzone regular lab work & doctor's care. Also, talk therapy helps too!"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)