User Reviews for Nefazodone

Nefazodone has an average rating of 9.4 out of 10 from a total of 144 ratings on Drugs.com. 94% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 4% reported a negative experience.

Depression
9.8
Summary of Nefazodone reviews 9.4 144 reviews

Reviews for Nefazodone

Tia · Taken for 10 years or more · April 24, 2021

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: “I was crippled by panic attacks that didn’t subside completely for about 2 years. I couldn’t drive by myself, I lost too much weight, & it turned into agoraphobia. The doctor put me on Serzone & I got my life back! I had no side effects & had a yearly blood labs taken to ensure there were no issues with my liver. After being on nefazodone for 26 years (while living a full life) this drug has been discontinued. I’ve been tapering off but the side effects are debilitating. I have irregular heart beat, hot or extreme cold in my extremities, I feel like I have the flu, body aches & pains, headaches (which I normally never get), extreme hunger, nausea, my moods are all over & manic, and of course my panic attacks have returned with a vengeance! I wish they would continue to make this medicine again as my life has slipped back into the prison of my life prior to nefazodone. I would even fly to another country to get scripts if there was a supply elsewhere.”

P Good News · Taken for 10 years or more · November 9, 2021

For Depression: “Have used it for years with great success. Finally, an update from TEVA.com on 9/20/2021, that Nefazodone will be back on the market during last quarter of 2021. Followed up with the manufacturer, TEVA, via phone call this week and the rep confirmed that they did in fact notify the FDA of the return of Nefazodone by end of 2021 since missing raw materials during COVID are now available. Contacted local CVS store and CVS Caremark but they were not aware of the September statement put out by TEVA.”

cdotpolar · July 11, 2021

For Depression: “When nefazodone came on the market, my psychiatrist gave me a prescription and I got it. Before taking this I had been severely depressed for many months and tried many meds, but none worked. I was bedridden, in horrible pain and all the terrible symptoms. I had it in my mind that when I could no longer take it, life would be too hard to live. The first night, I took 200 mg of Serzone. In the morning, all of my symptoms had eased. The depression had lifted overnight, just like a headache responding to aspirin. I knew that nefazodone was acting directly on the mechanism(s) underlying depression. Nefazodone simply fixed the depression, overnight. I've 20+ years of well-functioning that I would not have had without nefazodone. It truly was a miracle for me. Now, it's gone. I face the remainder of my life (I am 71) without the lifeline that nefazodone provided for 2+decades.”

MGoddard · Taken for 10 years or more · February 3, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking serzone/nefazodone since 1998. My PCP tried nearly every other antidepressant for over 6 months, but nothing worked! Finally he sent me to a psychologist who started me on Serzone. It was a miracle drug! I felt human again, and I was more interested in my former activities and my children's activities. I have continued to take this drug all these years, seldom feeling depressed. Now I'm starting to panic about not being able to get this drug! I have never had a negative reaction. At least the past month I have been able to cut back on my dose gradually so I don't stop taking it cold turkey. I only have a couple of weeks left. I'm going to see my PCP next week. (My psychologist moved out of town years ago.) I will pray for all of us who need this miracle drug, and pray that teva puts this back on the market.”

Erna · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 4, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “There is this company tcichemicals(Tokyo chemical industry) they do show the drug on their database I am enquiring in that direction whether they can supply nefazodone . Hope that they do for all of us.”

Nefazodone Man · October 16, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Hi to the user that just posted a little bit ago, Today is October 16th 2020 --- I too call Teva once a week, I have been on it 24 years in 2021 --- I am keeping the faith they make more, they have not said discontinued yet, I call the FDA also... BUT Teva cannot give any date at all when it may be released again, which sucks for us, but they still have not said it is gonna be discontinued.... Hopefully the reason that there is a shortage is their COVID shutdowns, are what is the cause of this disruption from last March, April around the world, and this will get resolved quickly... We are not numbers, or $$$ signs, we are people with a DISEASE and for some of us long term users, this has been a LIFESAVER to improve our quality of life that some of us did NOT have prior till getting on this Wonder Drug for us... I know it is not popular, not a 1st or 2nd Choice, BUT for some of us, it has been a Miracle Wonder Drug.....”

Indireneed · Taken for 10 years or more · March 28, 2021

For Depression: “I have taken Nefazodone on and off for 25 years. I had no side effects, and my life was so much better on it. Now I'm a caregiver for my parents, one has Alzheimer's, and I've never gone through anything worse. I am now searching for something else because of this shortage, and I'm not looking forward to potential side effects from a new drug. I have sent emails to Teva, suggesting they sell Nefazodone to another pharmaceutical company. I'm not convinced this is a shortage of ingredients.”

Barney · Taken for 10 years or more · April 9, 2021

For Anxiety: “Twenty year user. Nefazodone is a miracle drug for me. As others have said, taking nothing was far better than all the other options I tried. I had a 9 month back supply, which is now down to 4 1/2 months. Contacted TEVA, who told me the same thing they told everyone else. One note: TEVA is the one who made the active ingredient. Saying they can't get it is disingenuous. I will have to start tapering soon. I've read quitting the last 25 - 50 mg's is the worst part. I hope to need no substitutes. Bad days ahead, I'm sure.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more · July 18, 2021

For Depression: “I am having an awful time, without this nothing works, one months out and I'm anxious, dizzy having sick spells and am afraid, I have stroke like withdrawal symptoms. My world has been turned upside down, 2 month ago I graduated, got a job in my new field, then bam no meds. And I'm afraid I may loss everything I achieved, because now I can't even drive my car because of stroke like panic attacks. Been on this med since 1997, and doing great as a mom, student grandmother and sole person of my family”

muffin · August 8, 2021

For Anxiety: “Been taking Serzone / Nefazadone since 1996 for panic , anxiety disorder. I have tried every other antidepressant on the market and NOTHING else worked ! I tried several anti-depressants Now after battling cancer and losing my girlfriend to cancer , my mother to cancer and my best friend to a massive heart attack - Here I am again 10 months later suffering due to lack of my med. Try this pill, that pill , this pill , that pill - NOTHING IS WORKING !! I NEED MY NEFAZADONE BACK !! PLEASE BRING THIS DRUG BACK TO MARKET !! WE ARE SUFFERING HERE”

Anonymous · May 1, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Nefazadone for 20 years. When my psychiatrist told me few years ago only one company made it I started putting back as much as I could. I was prescribed 3 a day but would skip one and put back ever so often. The fear of not having it and withdrawals from a drug again was too much for me to handle. The time is here. No more nefazadone being made. I have tapered down to 100 mg but my blood pressure goes sky high at night. I’m a heart patient and I am so concerned. I’m not sure if it’s anxiety attack or if it’s something else. I wake up with it middle of night. I feel doomed. Dr suggests trazadone for replacement but I’m not sure if it will help. I just can’t believe this is happening. I’m afraid I’m going to stroke or have heart attack during night. Hope nobody else is going through this. Praying for everyone having hard time.”

Zsa Zsa · Taken for 10 years or more · March 18, 2020

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: “After having a baby in 1991 I came down with postpartum depression. I tried everything on the market. I went through a few doctors, a few hospital stays and a few experiences with charcoal due to no longer wanting to fight to exist any longer. Finally my doctor tried one last medication on me as I wouldn't take anything that affected my weight (gaining), my sex drive or could cause Tardive dyskinesia. My doctor started me on Nefazodone, a generic for Serzone. What a difference Nefazodone made in my life. My Doc found a dose that worked for me until my mother passed away. That's when he added Lamictal, a mood stabilizer. I am now off of the Lamictal, but, continued the Nefazodone taking two 100mg a day at bedtime, I am finally at a pretty happy spot in my life and I know that without my amazing therapist and Nefazodone I wouldn't be here today!!!”

Zgirl · Taken for 10 years or more · April 6, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Nefazodone since 1996 for major severe depression, anxiety and PTSD. It has been the only antidepressant that helps with my clinical depression and with no side effects. I pray it will come out of shortage soon. I don’t understand why Teva can’t let all of us who do so well on it know what their plan is to get it back out there. Please help.”

Laura · March 16, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I am 66 years old and have been on Nefazodone for 30 years. I had tried many other medications before nefazodone that did not work or the side effects were outweighing the purpose of the drug. My doctor prescribed Nefazodone and I have been right with the world since. It worked beautifully, with no liver issues and no side effects. Then the hammer dropped. The pharmacy called and told me Nefazodone was no longer available. It felt like the rug got pulled out from under me. With the pandemic and isolating, this is not the time to discontinue this drug! I feel my quality of life will not be the same and I am afraid of what the impending depression will do to me. I feel like it's a farewell to what I've known and loved these last 30 years. I am praying this is only temporary. Teva is the only company that makes this medication. For those who depend on this medication, write to them and plead with them to bring it back.”

DitchingPills · June 30, 2021

For Depression: “This drug works VERY well. It’s not an SSRI (SSRIs should be taken off the market!) and that’s why almost everyone does incredibly well on it. It completely changed my life for the better (like almost everyone else) back in 2002-2004, but I went off it (very slowly) believing the bogus hype about liver damage. I had zero liver problems. Lexapro, however, raised my liver enzymes and was an awful nightmare for me (and still is after 2.5 years of being off it). I’m sure Big Pharma has known Nefazadone is a threat to every other antidepressant on the market for some time now; hence the black box warning. It works too well for too many people with minimal side effects. It should be available to everyone as a first-line antidepressant—before all those nasty SSRIs that leave people with years of withdrawals (myself included.) I feel for everyone right now who is unable to get Nefazadone. Shame on Teva for stranding you all. And shame on the FDA for many reasons.”

Too long · Taken for 10 years or more · May 4, 2021

For Anxiety: “Contact the FDA drug shortage site, email address is available online. Ask them to find another company willing to manufacture this medication. They have the contacts, knowledge and know who to contact , plus it is their job! This is a medically necessary medication”

Answersplease · Taken for 2 to 5 years · September 8, 2021

For Depression: “I come to this review page to see if anyone has found a medication similar, at least kind of worked as well as nefazodone. My story is a little different. I haven't been on in for 20+ years, in fact, I’m in my late 20s. I had been on every drug on the market. Living everyday with SI, then I started nefazodone and for the first time I felt like living was possible. I was on it for 3 years and I felt like I was living life like how I imagined it was supposed to be. Then the medication was gone. Ripped out from beneath me. This drug saved my life, and shame on TEVA for not valuing human life. I don’t feel as if I have much time left on this earth, but I beg you all, urge everyone to keep fighting for the medication that showed us, and gave us life again.”

Its_back · Taken for 10 years or more · January 9, 2022

For Anxiety: “As of 12/20/21 nefazodone is out of shortage and again available. I was finally able to fill my prescription on 12/27/21. This medication has been so helpful for me. I tried many others and this seems to be the only one that along with controlling the depression also keeps my anxiety in check. I have been on this for over 20 years.”

Nicky · Taken for 10 years or more · January 29, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Nefazodone for 20 years. I was a mess before finding this drug. I suffered from debilitating anxiety and depression. I am now unable to get the drug and was forced to switch to another. My doctor prescribed Viibryd because it is comparable to Nefazodone. Not. I have only been on it for about a week. This drug causes anxiety at first and then is supposed to taper off. We will see. My anxiety couldn’t be worse. I have now been given an additional drug to sleep. The sad thing here is Nefazodone did the work of both drugs. I hope it comes back. I will switch back in a heartbeat. If anybody has found a comparable that works please post. Thanks”

Beatles Fan · Taken for 10 years or more · July 11, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was on Nefazodone for 26 years after trying several other antidepressants that had side effects. It had no side effects and made me feel like myself again. Now that it been unavailable for almost a year I have had to go off of it while starting Trazodone. I have been off of Nefazodone for a month and on Trazodone for 2 months. I am anxious, depressed, scared and cry everyday. I am hoping the Trazodone will start working since it is the closest thing to Nefazodone. I have been going up in 25 mg increments since starting it. I don't want to have to try something else. I am outraged at Teva. Apparently they don't care about us. I believe that Nefazodone is or was used by so few people that it wasn't worth their while to make it. Back in April I tried calling, writing Teva and the FDA and got nowhere. I am praying it will be made again, but I don't know how difficult it would be to transition back.”

Birdie Girl · Taken for 10 years or more · June 8, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: “I was first diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and social anxiety disorder about 18 years ago. Under the guidance of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, I was prescribed a fairly new drug - Serzone. Relief came within 1/2 hour after taking my first dose. I have no side effects. It is a fabulous drug.”

CG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 23, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “After 20 years of depression, doctors and pharmaceuticals, I finally found Nefazodone. I’ve felt better in the last nine months than I have in years!!! Even through the pandemic, my anxiety has been tolerable...until today. My pharmacy tells me the drug has been discontinued!!! I hope the stuffed suits who made that decision have some idea of what they’ve done to people who rely on this medication!!! I’ll sign this Panicked and Disappointed”

MzEarle · Taken for 10 years or more · January 27, 2021

For Panic Disorder: “I was prescribed this medication approx 20 years ago after being homebound for 6 years with agoraphobia. 17 years ago when I was became pregnant, they attempted to change my medication and it was all bad. I had horrible effects from it. I was placed back on my Nefazodone and I as back to normal in no time. I just learned today after wondering why my script still wasn’t filled that it is no longer available. Teva you have to put this medication back on the market. My anxiety is at 1000 just knowing what I’m going to go through without it. I’ve get labs done every 6 months and have never had any liver issues at all. Please help us patients that have been saved by your medication.”

OCD · Taken for 10 years or more · July 29, 2021

For Anxiety: “Teva NEEDS to get its act together and get this drug back on the market! I have taken this off-label for OCD for 12 years and it is the *only* thing that works for me. My psych put me on Trazodone after I ran out of Nefazodone and it is not even close to the same thing. I'm close to quitting my job because my condition is degenerating so badly. Before Nefazodone I tried every SSRI and tricyclic in the book and nothing worked. My psych made sure I understood the (tiny) risk when he put me on Nefazodone. Teva, please please PLEASE fix this, real people are suffering!”

tina · Taken for 10 years or more · January 12, 2021

For Depression: “Tried 7 different medications before going on this one. Been on it for 20 years. I don't suffer anymore and this medicine has been a Godsend. I hope it comes back soon. I realize there is a drug shortage on this medicine so I cut it in half so as to save as much as I can. My anxiety, depression and bad mood came back like a monster like it did 20 years ago. Please Teva, hurry and bring this back so the ones like me don't run out.”