User Reviews for Nefazodone

Also known as: Serzone

Learn more about Nefazodone.

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 46 medications

Anxiety 4 reviews 63 medications

7.2
Summary of Nefazodone reviews 35 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Nefazodone

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been taking antidepressants since 1999. I've taken most every SSRI plus many others that never worked long. I have MDD & GAD. I've never taken any med that actually worked. Celexa lasted a/b 2 yrs. then stopped. I needed help earlier this year, admitted myself. My Dr played with my med regimen for a bit but there's always trial & error w/ these meds. He kept asking me a/b all these different meds to see if I tried before. I had. He finally told me a/b Nefazodone & gave me it's full hx. I got that weed "high" for a few days (inc. fatigue nausea blurred vision). Ithe went away after a week or 2 but I also explained to Dr the only word I could use for it was ecstasy. It made me feel so much better. No more side effects either!"

JesyRay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

For Depression: "I had high hopes for this med based on reviews and pharmacological profile, however I was unable to get through the initiation period. It felt as if I was very intoxicated with a bad hangover at the same time; dizziness, blurred vision, unsteady gait with stumbling and falling, horrible stomach cramping and dry heaving with a migraine. I started at 100mg at bedtime, and as the days went on, the side effects progressed. I also felt more depressed, but who wouldn't being unable to function. I wish it had worked out better. Everyone is different. My advise would be, if you experience side effects of the nature I did, I would discontinue and save yourself from dealing with them being much worse. Otherwise, give it a try!"

Jenna1201 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

For Depression: "I first started taking Serzone after a brain injury in 1987 it work great, then they decide to take it off the market. I then took the generic Nefazodone and it has help me more then other drugs for depression. I wish they kept the Serzone it did work better, but the only one I could tolerate was Nefazodone every other drug made me sick. PS it is hard to get the prescription filled in the Seattle area."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I took my first dose of Nefazodone this morning at about 10:30 for anxiety, I went about it with being hopeful because I read all the positive things about this drug on this website, And I have to say it is not worth it. I got 60 pills yesterday and though I would take as prescribe by my physician 100 mg. twice a day. I would NEVER take this medication again, it is probably just me but within an hour after taking it, I got weak in my legs and arms, my head started feeling weird, I felt anxious, more than I did before I took this medication. It may just be me but I won't take another dose of this, I take Doxepin 25 mg twice a day and I thought I would get something better that wasn't a WAIT GAIN medication, but I would rather carry the we"

Reserve123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

For Depression: "Nefazodone was finally the first antidepressant to work for me. Unfortunately, six months into the treatment I started losing my memory and cognitive abilities. It's been six months since I've stopped the Nefazodone and I still haven't gotten my memory back fully. I'm honestly scared right now because it feels permanent. I looked it up online and other people have gotten the same side effect. At first I chose memory loss over depression but then it got the point where if I just took my medicine I wouldn't remember if I took it or not. So I chose depression over memory loss. Now I'm depressed again and have memory loss."

Wibblet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been dealing with major depression and terrible anxiety for the last 40 years. I had tried at least 6 different antidepressants, none of them really helped until one doctor put me on the nefazodone. Within 3 weeks what a difference, the relief, the sadness the anxiety, the panic feeling all lifted. This medicine pretty much saved my life. To this day I still take it. It's a wonderful medicine. I hope they never take this off the market."

Threse October 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have tried everything for my OCD. Nefazadone is the best one so far. It is an awesome medication for Intrusive thoughts."

Burak August 20, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "No side effects. Works great. Give it a try."

353535 July 23, 2015

For Depression: "Nefazodone changed my life. I have taken it for 17 years. Within ten days of first taking it, I stopped dwelling on negative things in life, found myself laughing more thanI had since I was a teen. And, my communication skills increased dramatically. No more brain farts, searching for words from time to time. I get blood tests 4 times a year to be liver safe. Nefazodone taken in evening,helps you sleep too. It's a wonder drug"

xjb99mr July 17, 2015

Serzone (nefazodone) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Minimal side effects. Last resort after many years on other antidepressants that I couldn't tolerate the side effects with or just plain didn't work"

Mistifalx (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

For Depression: "This was the 5th med I tried for anxiety/depression and it changed my life. After only a week or so, I laughed again. It gave me my life back. Had to ween off, for about a year no insurance and it's kinda expensive. Serzone, then nefazodone, was a miracle for me. No side effects except a little nausea in the morning if I didn't eat something first, then that went away."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2015

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "My PCP prescribed Serzone for me after I described typical symptoms of depression. As an RN I didn't want to feel "medicated" & never did. This medicine gave me back myself. I was on it for about 4 yrs then switched to Paxil for about 2 yrs and then taken off all together. I haven't been on any medicines for depression in 7 yrs as my divorce is long over & I am well healed - Amen! I would recommend Serzone regular lab work & doctor's care. Also, talk therapy helps too!"

An RN from PA (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2014

For Depression: "I have been taking this medicine since it's been out on the market, I remember my doctor telling me it was new and give it a try. I felt like that is when all the cog works of my brain started working in conjunction with one another. I could see life as it really was. It actually gives me headaches, but after trying about 20 diff medicines, this works. I take it with Topamax and Wellbutrin. 20 years on a medicine isn't bad."

zag November 17, 2014

For Depression: "Like others have posted nefazodone (as Serzone then) saved me when traditional SSRI's made me even more anxious. The fog of depression I was walking around in started to lift in a couple of months. It was 10 years ago. I think I was taking bupropion in the day and trazodone for sleep. But it was the nefazodone that snapped me out of it. Took if for a year almost to the day at which point I didn't need it anymore (I had already stopped taking the other two). The only side effect was early on and it went away after a month: after urinating I felt like I still needed to go. Like another poster, I felt cured. 10 years later, financial and work stress have taken me down again. I started nefazodone & bupropion again. Too soon to tell..."

Boomvang February 15, 2014

For Depression: "I took both Serzone (brand) and Nefazodone. I had no liver problems, no problems or side effects. My MDD was humming along just fine. I also have mild generalized anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Migraines. I believed a psychiatrist when he told me that (paraphrasing) when the Fibromyalgia got better the Depression, CFIDS, etc. would improve."

tiny_dancer December 8, 2013

For Depression: "The only medicine that doesn't produces sedation or sexual dysfunction. Very good for anxiety also."

FBS (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2013

For Depression: "I tried multiple SSRIs for my clinical diagnosis of Major Depression over several years. Most of the popular SSRIs resulted in Erectile Dysfunction, which was maddening. Once I ramped up on the maximum 600MG dosage of Nefazodone over several months...I started feeling much better in terms of mood. The additional prescription of Lithium Carbonate augmented the Nefazodone after only three days of taking it: For me, it was an amazing combination."

SanFranciscoRichard April 3, 2013

For Anxiety: "I've been taking this medicine since I stopped drinking - 12 years ago! It was the ONLY medicine that ever worked for my panic attacks and depression. I had no idea at the time that they were related. I had been an alcoholic for about 15 years, and had almost given up. A lady at work told me about it - totally by chance, and so I tried it. It worked so well after a few weeks I was able to get outside and function again, and I was able to get off the alcohol. I take it only in the morning and just after eating around lunchtime. If I take it too late in the day, it keeps me awake half the night. My speech has become a little hesitant over the last few years - a rare side effect. But it's manageable and worth the trade-off."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2012

For Depression: "I have been taking nefazodone 100mg at night for years now in combination with Wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning. I no longer suffer from debilitating anxiety and depression and am pretty well cured of the social phobia I used to have. Nefazodone helps me sleep at night, does not affect my libido, and I intend to take it as long as it's available as it has worked so reliably with minimal or no side effects. Liver profile has remained normal."

isohappy (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2012

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "Was on Serzone for 10 years. The best antidepressant ever and I have been on most of them since my tour in Vietnam. No sexual side effects on like SSRI`s or SNRI`s. Then they took it off the market. Just recently went back to nefazodone. Serzone works so good."

sonnyi84 July 23, 2012

For Depression: "Started taking medication for anxiety around twenty years ago. Tried the SSRI's and they worked pretty well but I felt out of it and my ejaculation was difficult and painful. Been taking Nefazadone with Wellbutrin for about two years now and feel a lot better than I have in a long, long time and no liver trouble so far. The dry mouth finally went away after about a year but that was the only side effect that I had."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

For Depression: "I have been on this medicine for 5 years. It is the most effective I have used other than Prozac (which I was on in the late 1980's, but over time stopped working). "

faith89 September 29, 2011

For Depression: "After taking this for 3 months, I decided to stop taking it due to unusual violent behavior. It helped with my depression, but was not worth the violent behavior I was exhibiting. I will be going back on Cymbalta."

Anonymous May 28, 2011

Serzone (nefazodone) for Anxiety: "I have been using Serzone and the generic versions for over 15 years now. When the brand was pulled from the market, I tried Wellbutron, Celexa and Prozac. All three had horrible side effects and I finally found a doctor who would prescribe me the generic of Serzone again. This medication keeps me on an even keel, keeps the anxious thoughts from overwhelming me and helps me sleep at night. My liver panels are always perfect and my only side effect is that I have to take it right before I go to bed as it makes me sleepy."

harpinred March 26, 2011

Serzone (nefazodone) for Depression: "I was on Serzone for 6 years and it gave me my life back. It truly is a miracle medicine and should not get the bad rap. I never had any liver problems, in fact I only had dry mouth as a side-effect. It did not affect my libido or ability like the Cymbalta that I am on now. I had liver problems with Depakote ER and I don't understand why it does not get the negative press. Serzone is amazing and I am going to work with my new psychiatrist to be back on it once again. I can't wait to get my life back once again!"

naturalguy30 March 19, 2011