User Reviews for Nefazodone to treat Anxiety

Nefazodone has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 88% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Nefazodone Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 142 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Nefazodone

Barney · Taken for 10 years or more April 9, 2021

“Twenty year user. Nefazodone is a miracle drug for me. As others have said, taking nothing was far better than all the other options I tried. I had a 9 month back supply, which is now down to 4 1/2 months. Contacted TEVA, who told me the same thing they told everyone else. One note: TEVA is the one who made the active ingredient. Saying they can't get it is disingenuous. I will have to start tapering soon. I've read quitting the last 25 - 50 mg's is the worst part. I hope to need no substitutes. Bad days ahead, I'm sure.”

muffin August 8, 2021

“Been taking Serzone / Nefazadone since 1996 for panic , anxiety disorder. I have tried every other antidepressant on the market and NOTHING else worked ! I tried several anti-depressants Now after battling cancer and losing my girlfriend to cancer , my mother to cancer and my best friend to a massive heart attack - Here I am again 10 months later suffering due to lack of my med. Try this pill, that pill , this pill , that pill - NOTHING IS WORKING !! I NEED MY NEFAZADONE BACK !! PLEASE BRING THIS DRUG BACK TO MARKET !! WE ARE SUFFERING HERE”

Too long · Taken for 10 years or more May 4, 2021

“Contact the FDA drug shortage site, email address is available online. Ask them to find another company willing to manufacture this medication. They have the contacts, knowledge and know who to contact , plus it is their job! This is a medically necessary medication”

Beatles Fan · Taken for 10 years or more July 11, 2021

“I was on Nefazodone for 26 years after trying several other antidepressants that had side effects. It had no side effects and made me feel like myself again. Now that it been unavailable for almost a year I have had to go off of it while starting Trazodone. I have been off of Nefazodone for a month and on Trazodone for 2 months. I am anxious, depressed, scared and cry everyday. I am hoping the Trazodone will start working since it is the closest thing to Nefazodone. I have been going up in 25 mg increments since starting it. I don't want to have to try something else. I am outraged at Teva. Apparently they don't care about us. I believe that Nefazodone is or was used by so few people that it wasn't worth their while to make it. Back in April I tried calling, writing Teva and the FDA and got nowhere. I am praying it will be made again, but I don't know how difficult it would be to transition back.”

OCD · Taken for 10 years or more July 29, 2021

“Teva NEEDS to get its act together and get this drug back on the market! I have taken this off-label for OCD for 12 years and it is the *only* thing that works for me. My psych put me on Trazodone after I ran out of Nefazodone and it is not even close to the same thing. I'm close to quitting my job because my condition is degenerating so badly. Before Nefazodone I tried every SSRI and tricyclic in the book and nothing worked. My psych made sure I understood the (tiny) risk when he put me on Nefazodone. Teva, please please PLEASE fix this, real people are suffering!”

Huggymomma November 18, 2020

“A close friend of mine and I have been on nefazadone 50mg for 20+ years. It has been a life saver.we cannot tolerate any other anti depressant or anti anxiety medication. Now we are experiencing a shortage of the 50’s. Wondering if we can group together to let Teva know that we depend on this drug. I called Teva to find out the availability but all the representative would say is there is an ingredient that has been difficult to obtain to make nefazadone . She would not give me anymore information. Wondering if we group together and let Teva know how important and necessary this drug is to us. Don’t know how to get this going. Please help.”

Hope · Taken for 10 years or more April 23, 2021

“Very Important to contact Teva and the FDA drug shortage department. Web addresses are listed online. EMAIL THEM, share your experience with this medication and ask them for their help. And continue to ask for them their help! An email can be forwarded to the right people. And yes, also continue to call, too! Everyone needs to help us get this resolved. Stay persistent!”

Amh10 · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2021

“I took nefazadone for 18 years. Somewhere along the way it stopped working because when I came off the medication I had no withdrawal symptoms. I recently emailed teva and they replied they have no idea when it will be released. Teva was offered to make the drug in the USA and they DECLINED! Teva does not care about patients at all. I was lucky and had no withdrawal. I can't imagine what everyone else is going through. Nefazadone worked amazing when I first started taking it. I actually think from taking it soon it corrected what was wrong in my brain. I will continue to fight for everyone by constantly emailing Teva, the FDA and whoever else I can get to listen to me. I'm concerned that if they bring nefazadone back that this shortage will happen again. Teva restructured the company and shut down several manufacturing plants. I did alot of research.”

Aime_Joseph August 2, 2017

“This drug changed my whole life. Suffering from anxiety depression, it did not feel or look like depression; nevertheless it was. Mostly this expressed in anxiety, especially new events or chores, not to mention jobs or large changes. Within 4 weeks, the Psychiatrist asked me if it was helping; I wasn't sure, but, within 8, I told him, "I feel like...me!" That was 20 YEARS ago. It still works and, no, that is not an illusion. I have tried to gently go off several times under doctor's care, and always return to my unsettled state of fear. I have had a successful career and personal life, am healthy and content. Nefazodone save me.”

harpinred March 26, 2011

Serzone (nefazodone): “I have been using Serzone and the generic versions for over 15 years now. When the brand was pulled from the market, I tried Wellbutron, Celexa and Prozac. All three had horrible side effects and I finally found a doctor who would prescribe me the generic of Serzone again. This medication keeps me on an even keel, keeps the anxious thoughts from overwhelming me and helps me sleep at night. My liver panels are always perfect and my only side effect is that I have to take it right before I go to bed as it makes me sleepy.”

Molly July 8, 2021

“I have been on this drug for 23 years. Had tried everything else but my depression and anxiety were so terrible I ended up in the mental ward from trying to hurt myself. I Have been to every drug store to get it but now no one has it. Please bring it back or replace it with something Teva. There are many of us that need this!!!!”

Mark · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2019

“I had debilitating anxiety and was prescribed Nefazodone. I have experienced no side affects as far as I can tell and almost perfect relief. I'm back to normal. I only need 100 mg a day. When I'm very stressed I sometimes have to take another 50 mg.”

Redbird1 December 24, 2018

“I have depression and OCD. Nefazodone (Serzone) changed my life. The chains of OCD and depression fell off within 2 months of starting this medicine. This medication was an answer to prayer. I have been off and on SSRIs but they did not help much. Paxil was the only medication that helped my OCD but the side effects were bad. I have not experienced any sexual side effects, weight gain, or fatigue with Nefazodone. Its been a wonder drug for me.”

JB · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2020

“I have taken 500 mg of Nefazodone and Xanax at night for anxiety and insomnia for 25 years. I think it was quite helpful. I have been wanting to take a vacation from it to see if it was still needed, but found the withdrawal unpleasant. It is currently unavailable in the U.S. so I thought, no time like the present to titrate off of it. I’ve been reducing the dose by 175 mg every few weeks. My only withdrawal symptom has been insomnia this time. I am excited to see if it’s no longer needed.”

Potpourri · Taken for 10 years or more December 1, 2020

“I have been on Nefazodone since 1997 after trying many other medications with terrible results. I have been told it is currently not being produced. Is this a temporary shortage? I do not believe I can exist without it!”

Bird July 9, 2021

“Been on this drug 25 years it’s the best I’ve ever used Now I hear you can’t get any more. No side affects my liver is fine. I don’t want to be all medicated up on something else when this pill works for me.”

Btz · Taken for 10 years or more March 12, 2021

“I see that I am in the same boat as a lot of the other reviewers. I have been on it over 20 years with zero liver issues. It was the only drug that worked for me. My pharmacist got around to telling me yesterday that she thinks it is no longer in production. Too lazy to look into it 6 months ago when they could no longer get the 100mg. pills. I could have at least called other pharmacies to see if they had any on hand then. I am told that Trazodone is the next closest thing. I will update with the results here.”

Dave · Taken for 10 years or more April 4, 2018

“I have been on this medication for 18 years, and thankful that I found it. It was the only medication I found that would reduce job related stress/anxiety enough to let me sleep decently and not affect sexual function. The only reason I rated this a 7 instead of 10 is because I have developed some tolerance to it (I am at max dose of 600mg). I have had to also take large doses of SAM-E as well, but it does still work. It is still available from at least 1 pharmaceutical company.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more December 9, 2012

“I've been taking this medicine since I stopped drinking - 12 years ago! It was the ONLY medicine that ever worked for my panic attacks and depression. I had no idea at the time that they were related. I had been an alcoholic for about 15 years, and had almost given up. A lady at work told me about it - totally by chance, and so I tried it. It worked so well after a few weeks I was able to get outside and function again, and I was able to get off the alcohol. I take it only in the morning and just after eating around lunchtime. If I take it too late in the day, it keeps me awake half the night. My speech has become a little hesitant over the last few years - a rare side effect. But it's manageable and worth the trade-off.”

tinabambina777 · Taken for 10 years or more April 21, 2021

“I don't understand what is going on. Is Nefazodone coming back or is it being discontinued. Two pharmacies that had it took it off their shelves because they had notes in their computer that it was discontinued. I'm so annoyed about this. I'm calling Teva right now.”

Zeleny · Taken for 10 years or more April 1, 2021

“Took Nefazadone for 20 years for severe anxiety. High stress job. Best results with fewest side effects. Switched pharmacies in Nov because they were delayed in getting prescription filled- thought it was pharmacy’s fault. Only figured out by accident in December about the ingredient shortage when they kept pushing back refilling my prescription. Been a lousy few months.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

“I really want the company to start manufacturing this med! I have been on it 30 years and have no issues. I am struggling without it. I have called and reported to FDA. Help is needed to express to Teva how this medication is necessary for many patients.”

Reserve123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2016

“I took my first dose of Nefazodone this morning at about 10:30 for anxiety, I went about it with being hopeful because I read all the positive things about this drug on this website, And I have to say it is not worth it. I got 60 pills yesterday and though I would take as prescribe by my physician 100 mg. twice a day. I would NEVER take this medication again, it is probably just me but within an hour after taking it, I got weak in my legs and arms, my head started feeling weird, I felt anxious, more than I did before I took this medication. It may just be me but I won't take another dose of this, I take Doxepin 25 mg twice a day and I thought I would get something better that wasn't a WAIT GAIN medication, but I would rather carry the we”

AZ JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2021

“I see there are lots of reviews praising this drug - OK. I was given a prescription for Serzone years ago and I was told it was ok to drink on it. One night, I had been drinking, also smoked a little weed, and was taking some OTC Diet pills that contained Guarana to perk me up. I ended up having a MAJOR meltdown, a huge Panic attack. That was in '97 and I have not been right since with low grade anxiety 24/7 with some anxiety attacks fairly often. Sure, it may have been the combo, but my PCP knew that I was drinking and smoking on this. His fault? MY fault? No matter... I have been permanently damaged, Serzone was part of that.”

NefazoUser · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 15, 2021

“BREAKING: As of today the FDA drug shortage website shows officially that nefazodone availability is expected Q4 2021! Thank you so much Teva and FDA for bringing this life-saving medication back!”