User Reviews for Nefazodone to treat Depression

Nefazodone Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Nefazodone

Zsa Zsa · Taken for 10 years or more March 18, 2020

Serzone (nefazodone): “After having a baby in 1991 I came down with postpartum depression. I tried everything on the market. I went through a few doctors, a few hospital stays and a few experiences with charcoal due to no longer wanting to fight to exist any longer. Finally my doctor tried one last medication on me as I wouldn't take anything that affected my weight (gaining), my sex drive or could cause Tardive dyskinesia. My doctor started me on Nefazodone, a generic for Serzone. What a difference Nefazodone made in my life. My Doc found a dose that worked for me until my mother passed away. That's when he added Lamictal, a mood stabilizer. I am now off of the Lamictal, but, continued the Nefazodone taking two 100mg a day at bedtime, I am finally at a pretty happy spot in my life and I know that without my amazing therapist and Nefazodone I wouldn't be here today!!!”

Dee · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

“I've read comments about not being able 2 get serzone which is true but I live in Pa & I get the generic Nefazodone. Thank goodness this is still available I hope they never take this off the market. I've been taking it for years. It's the only thing that works 4 me. I get my regular liver function test every 6 months but it's the best”

Reviewer321 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2019

“I had some success with nefazadone for anxiety and depression but it has caused liver problems. My liver panels are huge and I have experienced jaundice after having a healthy liver all my life.”

Birdie Girl · Taken for 10 years or more June 8, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone): “I was first diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and social anxiety disorder about 18 years ago. Under the guidance of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, I was prescribed a fairly new drug - Serzone. Relief came within 1/2 hour after taking my first dose. I have no side effects. It is a fabulous drug.”

Decades · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2019

“Been on Serzone / Nefazodone 22 years. My liver has been fine for 22 years, this Medicine Saved my Life, and was the only thing that worked for me ! Right now it is on Manufacturer Backorder till April. I got enough to last, it has saved my Life, PLEASE never discontinue this lifesaver for some of us, especially those of us who have been on it long term like me for 22 years”

valley70 · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone): “I went on Elavil to try to help severe migraine. While it was somewhat helpful for the headaches, it immediately began making me gain weight. I put on 40 pounds, and it was a shock because I had never been overweight before. I was 42. I changed doctors, and she put me on Serzone. Within a week I dropped 4 pounds! I was so excited, I began walking again and trying to lose weight. Overall, I lost the 40 pounds and kept it off. Then Serzone was banned, and I had to change antidepressants. The weight piled on, and in six months I gained 60 pounds on Cymbalta. Now, I’m in my late 60s and my new doctor refuses to let me try Nefazodone , which is now available again. I’m so angry. I’ve dropped that doc and am going to a new psychiatrist next week. Here’s hoping she is more brave and understanding and will let me switch to Nefazodone. I hope I can still lose weight even though I’m 25 years older. Being overweight makes me more depressed than any of my life’s problems.”

Nicole7832 February 10, 2018

Serzone (nefazodone): “Serzone was a miracle drug for me. I’ve tried almost every anti-depressant and they all had horrible side effects and did nothing to alleviate my depression. Serzone made me feel like I could finally see things clearly. I felt as if a veil had been lifted and no longer felt like I was in a fog. Whereas before going for a walk, cleaning house, self-care seemed like a monumental feat, after serzone everything became easy. I didn’t feel like these tasks were an insurmountable hurdle. Basic tasks became simple and I could finally see beyond my depression. I write this now as I’m back to suffering severe depression and searching for a drug similar to serzone as I think they took it off the market.”

Teton December 24, 2017

Serzone (nefazodone): “I was in a major depression after my baby died in the second trimester. Thoughts of suicide, the works. When I finally reached out for help I was put on serzone....truly a miracle drug. I was young, 28 and never had side effects. After a year I weaned off. Three years later I had my daughter and started spiralling downward, post partum - after you have a baby it is supposed to be the happiest time! I reached out for help and could no longer obtain serzone. I have literally been on EVERY antidepressant for the past 16 years. Nothing has worked like serzone. I am in a bad spot depression-wise again and am thinking it will be worth the liver risk to try to feel normal again.”

Jenna1201 · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2016

“I had high hopes for this med based on reviews and pharmacological profile, however I was unable to get through the initiation period. It felt as if I was very intoxicated with a bad hangover at the same time; dizziness, blurred vision, unsteady gait with stumbling and falling, horrible stomach cramping and dry heaving with a migraine. I started at 100mg at bedtime, and as the days went on, the side effects progressed. I also felt more depressed, but who wouldn't being unable to function. I wish it had worked out better. Everyone is different. My advise would be, if you experience side effects of the nature I did, I would discontinue and save yourself from dealing with them being much worse. Otherwise, give it a try!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 4, 2016

“I first started taking Serzone after a brain injury in 1987 it work great, then they decide to take it off the market. I then took the generic Nefazodone and it has help me more then other drugs for depression. I wish they kept the Serzone it did work better, but the only one I could tolerate was Nefazodone every other drug made me sick. PS it is hard to get the prescription filled in the Seattle area.”

Wibblet · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2016

“Nefazodone was finally the first antidepressant to work for me. Unfortunately, six months into the treatment I started losing my memory and cognitive abilities. It's been six months since I've stopped the Nefazodone and I still haven't gotten my memory back fully. I'm honestly scared right now because it feels permanent. I looked it up online and other people have gotten the same side effect. At first I chose memory loss over depression but then it got the point where if I just took my medicine I wouldn't remember if I took it or not. So I chose depression over memory loss. Now I'm depressed again and have memory loss.”

xjb99mr July 17, 2015

“Nefazodone changed my life. I have taken it for 17 years. Within ten days of first taking it, I stopped dwelling on negative things in life, found myself laughing more thanI had since I was a teen. And, my communication skills increased dramatically. No more brain farts, searching for words from time to time. I get blood tests 4 times a year to be liver safe. Nefazodone taken in evening,helps you sleep too. It's a wonder drug”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 11, 2015

“This was the 5th med I tried for anxiety/depression and it changed my life. After only a week or so, I laughed again. It gave me my life back. Had to ween off, for about a year no insurance and it's kinda expensive. Serzone, then nefazodone, was a miracle for me. No side effects except a little nausea in the morning if I didn't eat something first, then that went away.”

An RN from PA · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 27, 2014

Serzone (nefazodone): “My PCP prescribed Serzone for me after I described typical symptoms of depression. As an RN I didn't want to feel "medicated" & never did. This medicine gave me back myself. I was on it for about 4 yrs then switched to Paxil for about 2 yrs and then taken off all together. I haven't been on any medicines for depression in 7 yrs as my divorce is long over & I am well healed - Amen! I would recommend Serzone regular lab work & doctor's care. Also, talk therapy helps too!”

zag November 17, 2014

“I have been taking this medicine since it's been out on the market, I remember my doctor telling me it was new and give it a try. I felt like that is when all the cog works of my brain started working in conjunction with one another. I could see life as it really was. It actually gives me headaches, but after trying about 20 diff medicines, this works. I take it with Topamax and Wellbutrin. 20 years on a medicine isn't bad.”

Boomvang February 15, 2014

“Like others have posted nefazodone (as Serzone then) saved me when traditional SSRI's made me even more anxious. The fog of depression I was walking around in started to lift in a couple of months. It was 10 years ago. I think I was taking bupropion in the day and trazodone for sleep. But it was the nefazodone that snapped me out of it. Took if for a year almost to the day at which point I didn't need it anymore (I had already stopped taking the other two). The only side effect was early on and it went away after a month: after urinating I felt like I still needed to go. Like another poster, I felt cured. 10 years later, financial and work stress have taken me down again. I started nefazodone & bupropion again. Too soon to tell...”

tiny_dancer December 8, 2013

“I took both Serzone (brand) and Nefazodone. I had no liver problems, no problems or side effects. My MDD was humming along just fine. I also have mild generalized anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Migraines. I believed a psychiatrist when he told me that (paraphrasing) when the Fibromyalgia got better the Depression, CFIDS, etc. would improve.”

FBS · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2013

“The only medicine that doesn't produces sedation or sexual dysfunction. Very good for anxiety also.”

SanFranciscoRichard April 3, 2013

“I tried multiple SSRIs for my clinical diagnosis of Major Depression over several years. Most of the popular SSRIs resulted in Erectile Dysfunction, which was maddening. Once I ramped up on the maximum 600MG dosage of Nefazodone over several months...I started feeling much better in terms of mood. The additional prescription of Lithium Carbonate augmented the Nefazodone after only three days of taking it: For me, it was an amazing combination.”

isohappy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 19, 2012

“I have been taking nefazodone 100mg at night for years now in combination with Wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning. I no longer suffer from debilitating anxiety and depression and am pretty well cured of the social phobia I used to have. Nefazodone helps me sleep at night, does not affect my libido, and I intend to take it as long as it's available as it has worked so reliably with minimal or no side effects. Liver profile has remained normal.”

sonnyi84 July 23, 2012

Serzone (nefazodone): “Was on Serzone for 10 years. The best antidepressant ever and I have been on most of them since my tour in Vietnam. No sexual side effects on like SSRI`s or SNRI`s. Then they took it off the market. Just recently went back to nefazodone. Serzone works so good.”

Anonymous January 19, 2012

“Started taking medication for anxiety around twenty years ago. Tried the SSRI's and they worked pretty well but I felt out of it and my ejaculation was difficult and painful. Been taking Nefazadone with Wellbutrin for about two years now and feel a lot better than I have in a long, long time and no liver trouble so far. The dry mouth finally went away after about a year but that was the only side effect that I had.”

faith89 September 29, 2011

“I have been on this medicine for 5 years. It is the most effective I have used other than Prozac (which I was on in the late 1980's, but over time stopped working). ”

Anonymous May 28, 2011

“After taking this for 3 months, I decided to stop taking it due to unusual violent behavior. It helped with my depression, but was not worth the violent behavior I was exhibiting. I will be going back on Cymbalta.”

naturalguy30 March 19, 2011

Serzone (nefazodone): “I was on Serzone for 6 years and it gave me my life back. It truly is a miracle medicine and should not get the bad rap. I never had any liver problems, in fact I only had dry mouth as a side-effect. It did not affect my libido or ability like the Cymbalta that I am on now. I had liver problems with Depakote ER and I don't understand why it does not get the negative press. Serzone is amazing and I am going to work with my new psychiatrist to be back on it once again. I can't wait to get my life back once again!”