User Reviews for Nefazodone to treat Depression

Nefazodone has an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 92% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Nefazodone Rating Summary

9.3/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Nefazodone

P Good News · Taken for 10 years or more November 9, 2021

“Have used it for years with great success. Finally, an update from TEVA.com on 9/20/2021, that Nefazodone will be back on the market during last quarter of 2021. Followed up with the manufacturer, TEVA, via phone call this week and the rep confirmed that they did in fact notify the FDA of the return of Nefazodone by end of 2021 since missing raw materials during COVID are now available. Contacted local CVS store and CVS Caremark but they were not aware of the September statement put out by TEVA.”

Tia · Taken for 10 years or more April 24, 2021

Serzone (nefazodone): “I was crippled by panic attacks that didn’t subside completely for about 2 years. I couldn’t drive by myself, I lost too much weight, & it turned into agoraphobia. The doctor put me on Serzone & I got my life back! I had no side effects & had a yearly blood labs taken to ensure there were no issues with my liver. After being on nefazodone for 26 years (while living a full life) this drug has been discontinued. I’ve been tapering off but the side effects are debilitating. I have irregular heart beat, hot or extreme cold in my extremities, I feel like I have the flu, body aches & pains, headaches (which I normally never get), extreme hunger, nausea, my moods are all over & manic, and of course my panic attacks have returned with a vengeance! I wish they would continue to make this medicine again as my life has slipped back into the prison of my life prior to nefazodone. I would even fly to another country to get scripts if there was a supply elsewhere.”

cdotpolar July 11, 2021

“When nefazodone came on the market, my psychiatrist gave me a prescription and I got it. Before taking this I had been severely depressed for many months and tried many meds, but none worked. I was bedridden, in horrible pain and all the terrible symptoms. I had it in my mind that when I could no longer take it, life would be too hard to live. The first night, I took 200 mg of Serzone. In the morning, all of my symptoms had eased. The depression had lifted overnight, just like a headache responding to aspirin. I knew that nefazodone was acting directly on the mechanism(s) underlying depression. Nefazodone simply fixed the depression, overnight. I've 20+ years of well-functioning that I would not have had without nefazodone. It truly was a miracle for me. Now, it's gone. I face the remainder of my life (I am 71) without the lifeline that nefazodone provided for 2+decades.”

Indireneed · Taken for 10 years or more March 28, 2021

“I have taken Nefazodone on and off for 25 years. I had no side effects, and my life was so much better on it. Now I'm a caregiver for my parents, one has Alzheimer's, and I've never gone through anything worse. I am now searching for something else because of this shortage, and I'm not looking forward to potential side effects from a new drug. I have sent emails to Teva, suggesting they sell Nefazodone to another pharmaceutical company. I'm not convinced this is a shortage of ingredients.”

MGoddard · Taken for 10 years or more February 3, 2021

“I have been taking serzone/nefazodone since 1998. My PCP tried nearly every other antidepressant for over 6 months, but nothing worked! Finally he sent me to a psychologist who started me on Serzone. It was a miracle drug! I felt human again, and I was more interested in my former activities and my children's activities. I have continued to take this drug all these years, seldom feeling depressed. Now I'm starting to panic about not being able to get this drug! I have never had a negative reaction. At least the past month I have been able to cut back on my dose gradually so I don't stop taking it cold turkey. I only have a couple of weeks left. I'm going to see my PCP next week. (My psychologist moved out of town years ago.) I will pray for all of us who need this miracle drug, and pray that teva puts this back on the market.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2021

“I am having an awful time, without this nothing works, one months out and I'm anxious, dizzy having sick spells and am afraid, I have stroke like withdrawal symptoms. My world has been turned upside down, 2 month ago I graduated, got a job in my new field, then bam no meds. And I'm afraid I may loss everything I achieved, because now I can't even drive my car because of stroke like panic attacks. Been on this med since 1997, and doing great as a mom, student grandmother and sole person of my family”

Answersplease · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 8, 2021

“I come to this review page to see if anyone has found a medication similar, at least kind of worked as well as nefazodone. My story is a little different. I haven't been on in for 20+ years, in fact, I’m in my late 20s. I had been on every drug on the market. Living everyday with SI, then I started nefazodone and for the first time I felt like living was possible. I was on it for 3 years and I felt like I was living life like how I imagined it was supposed to be. Then the medication was gone. Ripped out from beneath me. This drug saved my life, and shame on TEVA for not valuing human life. I don’t feel as if I have much time left on this earth, but I beg you all, urge everyone to keep fighting for the medication that showed us, and gave us life again.”

Anonymous May 1, 2021

“I have been taking Nefazadone for 20 years. When my psychiatrist told me few years ago only one company made it I started putting back as much as I could. I was prescribed 3 a day but would skip one and put back ever so often. The fear of not having it and withdrawals from a drug again was too much for me to handle. The time is here. No more nefazadone being made. I have tapered down to 100 mg but my blood pressure goes sky high at night. I’m a heart patient and I am so concerned. I’m not sure if it’s anxiety attack or if it’s something else. I wake up with it middle of night. I feel doomed. Dr suggests trazadone for replacement but I’m not sure if it will help. I just can’t believe this is happening. I’m afraid I’m going to stroke or have heart attack during night. Hope nobody else is going through this. Praying for everyone having hard time.”

Zgirl · Taken for 10 years or more April 6, 2021

“I have been taking Nefazodone since 1996 for major severe depression, anxiety and PTSD. It has been the only antidepressant that helps with my clinical depression and with no side effects. I pray it will come out of shortage soon. I don’t understand why Teva can’t let all of us who do so well on it know what their plan is to get it back out there. Please help.”

DitchingPills June 30, 2021

“This drug works VERY well. It’s not an SSRI (SSRIs should be taken off the market!) and that’s why almost everyone does incredibly well on it. It completely changed my life for the better (like almost everyone else) back in 2002-2004, but I went off it (very slowly) believing the bogus hype about liver damage. I had zero liver problems. Lexapro, however, raised my liver enzymes and was an awful nightmare for me (and still is after 2.5 years of being off it). I’m sure Big Pharma has known Nefazadone is a threat to every other antidepressant on the market for some time now; hence the black box warning. It works too well for too many people with minimal side effects. It should be available to everyone as a first-line antidepressant—before all those nasty SSRIs that leave people with years of withdrawals (myself included.) I feel for everyone right now who is unable to get Nefazadone. Shame on Teva for stranding you all. And shame on the FDA for many reasons.”

Zsa Zsa · Taken for 10 years or more March 18, 2020

Serzone (nefazodone): “After having a baby in 1991 I came down with postpartum depression. I tried everything on the market. I went through a few doctors, a few hospital stays and a few experiences with charcoal due to no longer wanting to fight to exist any longer. Finally my doctor tried one last medication on me as I wouldn't take anything that affected my weight (gaining), my sex drive or could cause Tardive dyskinesia. My doctor started me on Nefazodone, a generic for Serzone. What a difference Nefazodone made in my life. My Doc found a dose that worked for me until my mother passed away. That's when he added Lamictal, a mood stabilizer. I am now off of the Lamictal, but, continued the Nefazodone taking two 100mg a day at bedtime, I am finally at a pretty happy spot in my life and I know that without my amazing therapist and Nefazodone I wouldn't be here today!!!”

Nicky · Taken for 10 years or more January 29, 2021

“I have been taking Nefazodone for 20 years. I was a mess before finding this drug. I suffered from debilitating anxiety and depression. I am now unable to get the drug and was forced to switch to another. My doctor prescribed Viibryd because it is comparable to Nefazodone. Not. I have only been on it for about a week. This drug causes anxiety at first and then is supposed to taper off. We will see. My anxiety couldn’t be worse. I have now been given an additional drug to sleep. The sad thing here is Nefazodone did the work of both drugs. I hope it comes back. I will switch back in a heartbeat. If anybody has found a comparable that works please post. Thanks”

tina · Taken for 10 years or more January 12, 2021

“Tried 7 different medications before going on this one. Been on it for 20 years. I don't suffer anymore and this medicine has been a Godsend. I hope it comes back soon. I realize there is a drug shortage on this medicine so I cut it in half so as to save as much as I can. My anxiety, depression and bad mood came back like a monster like it did 20 years ago. Please Teva, hurry and bring this back so the ones like me don't run out.”

Birdie Girl · Taken for 10 years or more June 8, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone): “I was first diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and social anxiety disorder about 18 years ago. Under the guidance of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, I was prescribed a fairly new drug - Serzone. Relief came within 1/2 hour after taking my first dose. I have no side effects. It is a fabulous drug.”

VK · Taken for 10 years or more August 4, 2021

“Fellow Nefazodone users, here is what we can likely expect if FDA shortage site EVER changes from unknown to recovery. Today 8/4 Teva Reverified AVAILABILITY UNKNOWN. Well parallels, the other not so heard of Med by Teva, Amoxapine, has been on shortage list since March 2020. Now I have followed that to learn, a few times it has changed, once to expected recovery June 2021. Then July 2021, now it is recovery expected Sept 2021. So my point is, we Nefazodone users have to wait for it to change first for Nefazodone from UNKNOWN, to expected, then no doubt in my opinion it will keep getting pushed back BACK ORDER that keeps being pushed back to more months down the road. Cannot believe Teva inflicted this on our lives and has not made it after 1 year, and for several more months IF it even comes back.”

iamPenny1 · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2021

“24 years of Serzone turned my life around. Now Teva won’t even report on the year long shortage. I finally had to accept I was going to have to change. I’ve titrated from 300 mgs of Serzone (Nefazadone) twice a day, to 150 mgs at night and 75 mgs in the AM. I’m feeling it. I am crying watching the news and feeling isolated. So it was time to try the Trintellix. It’s considered a seretonin modulator like Serzone. I’m going to start today, I think. The trintellix isn’t a pill to cut in half, so I think I’ll just jump in. No more Serzone (I’m almost totally out!) and straight to the 10 mgs of Trintellix. We shall see, but after realizing they’re both in the same class, I have more confidence jumping in. I will bookmark this page to update with the results. Hang in there, maybe we don’t need Serzone anyway!”

KD · Taken for 10 years or more May 7, 2021

“I have been on nefazodone for 25+years with no side effects or liver problems. I went to fill my prescription and was told it was removed from the shelf. I had no time to wean myself off of it. I was forced to try other meds that had horrible side effects. I am now experiencing high blood pressure amongst other things because of this. I just ended up in the emergency room and was kept over night. The FDA needs to do something about this. This is a terrible situation to be in. How do you just stop making a medicine that so many people need to survive.”

Alon Cohen · Taken for 10 years or more July 26, 2021

“Decades ago I received the prestigious Teva Prize for outstanding scientific research in Israel. Since then Teva merged with many non-Israeli companies to become the largest manufacturer of generics in the world. Teva's management and owners are no longer Israeli. Teva has financially collapsed due to horrible mismanagement, debt and lawsuits. Now I am in the U.S. and suffering badly without my Nefazodone. I have been on it, 100mg/day, for 18 years. Now my life is over because of Teva. The near-monopoly status in generics imposes on Teva special obligations to the users of its drugs. This point should be made clear to the FDA. We the users of Nefazodone should call and write to the FDA hammering down this point. Please do so. Thanks.”

Nicole7832 February 10, 2018

Serzone (nefazodone): “Serzone was a miracle drug for me. I’ve tried almost every anti-depressant and they all had horrible side effects and did nothing to alleviate my depression. Serzone made me feel like I could finally see things clearly. I felt as if a veil had been lifted and no longer felt like I was in a fog. Whereas before going for a walk, cleaning house, self-care seemed like a monumental feat, after serzone everything became easy. I didn’t feel like these tasks were an insurmountable hurdle. Basic tasks became simple and I could finally see beyond my depression. I write this now as I’m back to suffering severe depression and searching for a drug similar to serzone as I think they took it off the market.”

nefazuser · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 27, 2021

“I completely understand why everyone is being so nice to Teva, even as they ignore, lead on, and even seriously harm their customers. ​Being desperate and in the position of begging for dear life will make anyone want to plead nicely. But the idea that it is impossible to manufacture this drug is absurd, and denying people a lifesaving medicine should be considered a human rights crime, both with respect to Teva and their heartless FDA enablers. Asking nicely won't get Teva to resume production or transfer their rights to someone who would, or they would have done it long ago of their own accord. What is needed is pressure, both with respect to Teva and the FDA bureaucrats—and by pressure I mean from bad press or threat of litigation, or both. Such pressure is the only thing these sorts of people will respond to in a situation like this, unfortunately. This comes from decades of business experience, learning this sort of lesson the hard way.”

aspen47 · Taken for 10 years or more November 24, 2021

“This is the only antidepressant that has ever worked for my depression and anxiety. I have been on it for years and have stumbled through the last year without it. I was so excited to see that it's going to be back this year. Spoke to a rep at Teva who said it should be back on the market by the end of the year, it can't come fast enough! It is literally the only antidepressant that has help me since getting off my last antidepressant in 1996.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 5, 2021

“I was on this drug for 23 years. Nothing else helped. I'm now on a different antidepressant, but it's not the same at all. I want "me" back. I'm just devastated. This is not fair. There has to be something that can be fine to get this drug made again. I have contacted TEVA numerous times.”

sonnyi84 July 23, 2012

Serzone (nefazodone): “Was on Serzone for 10 years. The best antidepressant ever and I have been on most of them since my tour in Vietnam. No sexual side effects on like SSRI`s or SNRI`s. Then they took it off the market. Just recently went back to nefazodone. Serzone works so good.”

valley70 · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2019

Serzone (nefazodone): “I went on Elavil to try to help severe migraine. While it was somewhat helpful for the headaches, it immediately began making me gain weight. I put on 40 pounds, and it was a shock because I had never been overweight before. I was 42. I changed doctors, and she put me on Serzone. Within a week I dropped 4 pounds! I was so excited, I began walking again and trying to lose weight. Overall, I lost the 40 pounds and kept it off. Then Serzone was banned, and I had to change antidepressants. The weight piled on, and in six months I gained 60 pounds on Cymbalta. Now, I’m in my late 60s and my new doctor refuses to let me try Nefazodone , which is now available again. I’m so angry. I’ve dropped that doc and am going to a new psychiatrist next week. Here’s hoping she is more brave and understanding and will let me switch to Nefazodone. I hope I can still lose weight even though I’m 25 years older. Being overweight makes me more depressed than any of my life’s problems.”

notmyself · Taken for 10 years or more July 31, 2021

“Serzone was my godsend in 2002. When BMS brand was pulled from the market, I was skeptical, but the generic nefazodone seemed equally effective for me for 17 years! Until Teva's very untransparent discontinuation of it. Please, Teva, let another company use your raw ingredient to get all of us back to life. We may be a far smaller group than the Prozac beneficiaries, but we are real, we are many and we are struggling as much without our lifeline nefazodone as with no answers about the future of the supply chain to restore our quality of life. With the new meds I've tried since Teva created this desert of necessity, nefazodone remains the only one to give me life and give it abundantly so that I can give my life back.... with a unique sense of normalcy! Lord, Teva, and the FDA (PLEASE put our tax dollars to work!): Hear my prayer”