User Reviews for Vivitrol

Learn more about Vivitrol.

Alcohol Dependence 14 reviews 7 medications

8.5
Opiate Dependence 53 reviews 8 medications

8.2
Summary of Vivitrol reviews 67 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Vivitrol

For Alcohol Dependence "I am a member of a support group for a person in their mid-20's recovering from alchohol addiction. The person has been taking monthly Vivitrol injections for about 6 months. The injections have helped the cravings, but not 100%. When the person did consume alcohol (vodka) it produced severe flu like symptoms that were similar to alchohol withdrawal. Has anyone else suffered these types of symptoms drinking alchohol while on vivitrol injections?"

SupportingGroupMember Question January 8, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "I was addicted to opiates for 4years before this shot. I finally feel like I'm not living a double life any more! I was homeless within 6 months of first becoming dependant on heroin (IV from the start) and I've wanted to stop ever since. Will power alone is not enough! I've tried every way on my own, but now, with Vivitrol , I can be confident in my recovery. It's closing in on the end of my first month on it, it has caused some stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, anhedonia, and slight depression. The best comparison would be the feeling when you first start to feel withdrawal setting in. My craving levels were eliminated after administration, however toward the end of the month I'm feeling them more."

Jacqattack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "Week three after Vivitrol. Still having severe insomnia, goose bumps, depression,lack of energy and weakness. It did curb my desire for cigarettes but because I feel so horrible for so long I am craving a fix. I'm only on the fence with this injection."

Sovie201336 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Only way I can stay off of heroin and pain pills"

DJ86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Have been on the shot for 2 year's now it helped me recover from alcohol but I also found it helps my major anxiety and sleep I don't think they have done enough studies on it to see what else it can help whit"

Gypsy41 December 1, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "It works excellent have been clean 6 months. I love it."

Sweatpeasr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I think my experience with the clinic may be coloring my opinion of Vivitrol. As far as I know, it DOES work to curb cravings--I haven't had any to speak of in the 6 months I've been getting the injections. OTOH, I've noticed that my depression gets significantly worse for a few days after each injection, then it eases up to my normal low (someday I hope to feel actual happiness again). My problem is with the clinic and the hour+ wait times. I'm clean. I'm in therapy. I go to AA meetings daily. I have a strong support system in place. But I'm thinking of discontinuing because I don't have 2.5 hours to spare every time I have an appointment (commute to clinic, time at clinic, commute to work)."

Anonymous November 25, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Most dr. Recommend for heavy dose over two week taper I started with a half 8mg sub and decreased over 7 days on the 7th day I only took 1/16 of a sub and that was it with help from Xanax and 420 was able to make the 14 days needed for the shot but still didn't feel amazing but was getting there the only negative about the shot is that I have bad stomach pains for the first two shots already which last time I was just tired for the first 2 shots i am wondering if anyone else gets this stomach pain all day and all night"

Swim420 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I battled opiate addiction for 11 years and I was in and out of jails and institutions half my life and all that was left was death for me and I was a split second away from taking my last breath. I have been on Vivitrol and it has completely changed my life!"

Brock Arden (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "While the rehab changes your perception no matter how you go into in, the Vivitrol changes your brain chemistry altogether. It's the combination of being on the outside and seeing where you've made your mistakes, knowing that you have a shield guarding you at every moment. Life becomes more normal in that time. It's like a rehab that follows you. Brilliant. When I got off of the shot I had a couple moments of frustration but that was easily solved with my newfound knowledge. Mostly the knowledge of myself. I believe this could save many lives. If you don't want it but take it for someone else, at least you have a month to figure out why."

Erik black (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Was not givin the correct information and was not monitored after injection. I was honest and told the doctor I took suboxine 6 days before the shot and he said I would be fine. Well about 30 minutes after the shot I started having terrible withdrawals. Sweating and it felt like my skin was on fire for the entire month. I urinated every 15minutes. Couldn't sleep and extreme restless leg syndrome. Constant headache and urinary tract infection to boot. Zero sex drive and bad mood the whole time. Sought therapy at Calvary house and told all my symtoms. No one cared. At 1200.00 each month why would they."

Never again ever 1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there."

TheHumanRace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!"

THighSoGrateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I received my 2nd shot yesterday. I've been a heavy opiate mostly heroin IV user for 13 years I was put in jail for 14 days to clean out for my 1st shot. Immediately after the shot I had no cravings. I was put on xanax for anxiety cuz its been super high. I have acne due to the shot. I get leg cramps. It saved my life"

Dbags1124 July 19, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "After 16 years of opioid and heroin addiction I had tried everything. Methadone for 3years and off and on suboxone for 8 or more years, i tried hard to get off suboxone and it was horrid withdrawal so I relapsed on heroin. When I knew I might die if I kept it up, I put myself into a detox and planed to leave after. Stayed for rehab and the vivitrol was suggested I went back and fourth with my decision because I still wanted to drink. Finally I decided to get the shot. Side Effects: muscle spasms, constant stretching that felt great, decreased appetite, weight loss. The interactions with my 3mgs of clozepam are hard to explain. It's a high definitely but not one I like to much. If I take Bental for the stomac cramps I get really dipped out"

Viva trolling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Vicitrol saved my life. After going to rehab a few times, I was exposed to the option of getting the monthly vivitrol muscular injection. The first month I was on it I tried to use opiates just to test it and see if it worked and I felt nothing. After that experience I knew that this would be more helpful than any other method. I continued getting the shot until I found out I was pregnant. With over three years clean I can say with confidence that this shot is worth it if you are serious about changing your life. I am grateful every day for the second chance it help give me."

Jrabs July 13, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I started Vivitrol in January 2015 after getting an OUI Drugs & a heroin posession charge b/c knew I needed to stop using, but I didn't really want to. Between January and April I got my monthly shot but I still tried to use every now and then (but I couldn't get high). My insurance was cancled in May so I took the opportunity to get high. I ended up getting another OUI & spent a month in jail till my next court date. I went straight from court to my doctors office to get an injection and I've gotten 1 every 28 days since (07/15 - 07/16). I'm not sure how Vivitrol effected my cravings because my first time on it, the thought of giving up heroin was devastating to me. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted getting high. LOVE VIVITROL!!"

Mr Clean (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "7-13-16 will be my 4th injection I'm looking forward to it. I have had problems with opiates and alcohol threw out my life. Vivitrol has saved my life. The injection made me SUPER sensitive to everything hygiene products with alcohol in it certain glaucoma drops. Over the counter medications. Rough joint pain and I am not complaining. I can handle any side effect from Vivitrol because its so much better than being on drugs. Who ever came up with Vivitrol injections I want to thank you for saving my life. If any body truely wants to be clean give Vivitrol a try."

Annaybell June 28, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I just spent six years in the penitentiary, as an ex drug addict this shot was offered to me as an option and alternative to other opiate blockers. So far I have taken two of the injections one while in prison and the second as I left the facility. So far so good. Some minor joint pain and a few aches. They were able to be worked thru with a little walkin and exercise. No cravings and definitely no thoughts about tryin ANY opiates after seeing the results first hand. The withdrawal it causes is life threatening. Its not worth it.the nanoxolene is good for our situations. If you really want to get clean give it a whirl!"

exfelon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!"

BD84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Can not enjoy sex over 2 minutes, can not stay erect and can not ejaculate."

dontcum (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I've had 9 surgerys to my right foot from 2006-2014.. I've had any and all pain meds you can imagine. Obviously got addicted taking 8-10 percs a day.. Beside when I got pregnant I didn't take any but after this last surgery in Jan I promised myself and for my kids to do anything in my power to quit... Found out about this shot and it works wonders I'm so grateful I got my life back. GOT MY 1st SHOT 10 days ago.. NO CRAVINGS TOTALLY NORMAL FEELING... CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE BEING SOBER N LIVING LIFE HOW I REALLY DESERVED!!!! #27 days clean"

Thighsograteful (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "Hello again, I'm following up on my first review from January 27th of 2016. I've now had 4 Vivitrol injections and gotta say, it's worked wonders. The first injection, as I said, caused migraines, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Every injection I've recieved since has been good. No symptoms whatsoever, only positive results. I've been clean since November 17th of 2015. This shot is truly a lifesaver, my cravings are less frequent and very short lived. I reccomend this shot to anyone struggling with opioid dependency. My next injection is tomorrow and I'm sure the results will be the same as the last 3."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "My experiance with this medication is not that bad. I have all of the side effects that has been listed I've had 4 doses and have not had a drink in 4 months ."

Mr. AC April 4, 2016

For Opiate Dependence "I still don't know if cravings and anxiety are one and the same, but I've been on this for 6 months. I notice a lot of headaches, increased anxiety, depression, insomnia and male sexual problems. I still need 0.5 mg Xanax 5 times a day for the anxiety, and Ambien CR for insomnia. The product coordination nurses deny that this causes male sexual side effects, I've had sex twice in 6 months on Vivitol, and that includes my honeymoon. I think Vivitrol helped me the most by making it clear that if I tried any opiates, I could overdose immediately and die. So I've put up with the side-effects, but I hope to be off this in 1 year. And, yes, I want my sex life back."

Otter773 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2016