User Reviews for Vivitrol

Vivitrol has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 176 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Opiate Dependence
7.6
Alcohol Dependence
Summary of Vivitrol reviews 7.7 176 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Vivitrol

Marissa · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “My husband got his 3rd Vivitrol injection 2 weeks ago Wednesday it cause brief paralysis in his leg and a severe reaction in the injection site. He has severe muscle and tissue damage and his sciatic nerve is extremely inflamed. I would NEVER want anyone to experience these symptoms and even if it was a one in a million thing I never want him to get the injection again. Our lives almost changed in 10 minutes but two weeks later here we are and he is still having problems walking and we have zero answers to what is going on besides it’s the injection that caused it.”

IndigoMoon · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2021

For Opiate Dependence: “I received the Vivitrol injection after 12 days of being in a treatment center. I was accidentally sent into early withdrawal on suboxone, and given 2 days of Valium to get through the worst of my withdrawal off of heroin, and fentanyl. I spent 7 days at the facility completely sober before getting my injection. While it felt uncomfortable being administered, I have not had any adverse reactions to it, and it’s greatly helped with the cravings. I’m a healthy 26 year old female and this injection has given me a chance to save my life. I’ll only continue it the first 90 days in order to give myself time to begin to feel better and stand on my own. Recovery is possible! It’s intense though so if you’re still having reservations about using, avoid or it can make you sick.”

angeleeorivee · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “I’ve been taking the pill for about a week now & I still have minor cravings. I’ve been an alcoholic since I was 17, I’m 19 now. I drank everyday, lost jobs, lost friends & family. I called alcohol my best friend, she helped me deal with everything although putting me into risky situations. & now I see how much damage the substance has done, I’m glad I got put on this med after I was hospitalized for a drunken suicide attempt. Although it’s made everything & I mean everything I used to enjoy seem less enjoyable, I don’t mind it. Especially eating cause I’m overweight lol.”

Anonymous March 30, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “Hi, I'm a 40 year old that has been a drinker since age 13. I've drank hard liquor, malted liquor, beer, anything alcoholic. I've used drugs in the past, a lot, however booze is always my gas to get the motor going. The only times I did not drink was when either I was in prison, unsuccessfully rehab stays, or detoxes. Other than that, I was drinking. I wanted to try this injection, because I had tried naltrexone pill form in the past and I got massive migraines from it. Needless to say I been out of prison and off parole for 7 years, got my own apartment but kept drinking, and getting into scuffles without police in the middle. I drank my last drink on a Monday, and called to ask for this shot Tuesday. I got it And the rest is history. I had no symptoms. No withdrawals, no side effects, no bad dreams, nothing but the good things that came with it. Sobriety, and free of cravings, free of thoughts, free of desires.”

Cherrypie June 16, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “I have struggled with alcohol for 15 years. Major depression & severe anxiety. Nothing took the craving away. I am surrounded by alcoholics & my husband is an alcoholic. I got a promotion at work and one morning I went to work and thought I was going to die. I couldn't take it anymore & told them I had to go to the hospital. I detoxed at a great facility. They were incredible. They saved my life. I had previously been asked if I wanted the vivitrol shot & I declined. This time I begged for the shot. Best decision I ever made! I got my 4th shot last week. I have no cravings. I have mental clarity. I'm off antidepressants. I have lost 27 pounds. Side effects...my body aches but I'll take it. I have no appetite so when I do eat. I eat healthy. Except for chocolate. I am extremely grateful for Vivitrol. I know it has saved my life. I actually died on my birthday a couple years ago from severe alcohol withdrawal & critically low potassium. Didn't stop me from drinking again. Vivitrol did.”

Hawkeye October 21, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “I have been sober 2 months with my first VIVITROL shot! Alcohol was my poison. Nothing could stop me from going to any convenience store to buy my daily 24 pack. Since the first day, ALL of my cravings have disappeared! I have " debated" with myself to "test" this injection, however, I immediately lost all interest. No explanation other than that! Just zero interest. After 30 years of this poison - poof!! Just like that! If you struggle with addictions of all sorts, VIVITROL is your answer!! No joke! It works!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “Imagine your favorite food. Let's say it's pizza. Now you're at your favorite restaurant that serves pizza just the way you like it. But something is different and you're just not in the mood for pizza so you order something else. That's exactly what Vivitrol is like. You can think about drinking but you're just really not in the mood for it. Also if you're an alcoholic you've probably been prescribed an SSRI by now and with those it takes weeks to start working but Vivitrol is pretty immediate as in it only takes maybe an hour two to become really effective. If you're reading this you've probably tried all the unless things out there and it just can't reach that itch. Vivitrol is about as close to a magic shot as you're going to get for alcohol problems”

GRATEFUL... November 27, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: “After battling the bottle for 30 years I am so Grateful that I found this. I tried everything from AA to SMART Recovery and to be honest while each program has it's good points they did not take away that urge to drink. This did. Instantly. Vivitrol has really been a blessing because it not only blocks the urge to use but it goes the extra step of blocking the high if you do drink I was just a Garden variety alcoholic. I drank around the clock. I would even drink in the shower. The funny thing is I never bought into the disease model even while I was sober for years at a stretch. I would eventually pick up a drink because the urge, that voice, the Beast was always there. Not anymore! Vivitrol stopped the brain imbalance that MADE me drink.”

Hollister resident · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: “After partying almost 30 years in a successful, trouble free life, I began taking antabuse pills a few years ago without a recovery program. I was told about vivitrol and it interested me in quitting my prescription hydrocodone, benzo, and drinking. My 1st shot was 10 days ago and it does make your mind content. I can tell the drug is wrapped around my receptors. If I where to attempt to take a drink....it feels like I already had one. Not taking pills is no big deal either. I still take a sleep aid at night and Aleve or Ibuprofen for anything else. I. Am now experiencing eating and sleeping like I've seen normal people do all my life. A spiritual feeling should come along with that for those of you who are willing to make a change.”

Sleann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “Vivitrol has helped me maintain sobriety for the longest time ever since I started drinking about 5 years ago. Not one craving! However... I have developed bad acne on my back and neck areas. But the side effects don't outweigh the benefits so I choose acne over alcohol. :-)”

Yvette · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: “It's a blessing and a miracle!! I have been drinking 35 years arrested 18 times ,homeless, raped, baker acted (involuntary commitment), lost dogs, almost died of alcohol poison. None out that stopped me! Vivitrol is the only thing that has taken all cravings away. Good luck to you all.”

Mendee86 March 24, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: “I started going to a clinic to get extra help on top of AA. My alcohol use had gotten to a very, very dangerous level. I would flirt with sobriety through AA, getting almost to 30 days, then a bad craving would hit and I couldn't resist. Then I found out about vivitrol. After my first shot it cut my cravings down ten fold. Now 4 shots in I rarely have a craving and when I do it's manageable. This has allowed me to concentrate on my recovery without also battling cravings. I'm 95 days sober today and so grateful.”

DSC · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: “I'm 39 and been drinking practically daily for 25 years. Mostly just beer but it got to the point where 15 beers a night was the norm. Wife and I decided to quit and she did cold turkey (of course) but I didn't go so easy. My med doctor recommended Vivitrol and I thought "what the hell". Took a shot in the butt that day and when I left I decided to test it. Drank as normal but magically the pleasure of drinking just wasn't there. I would physically feel the effects but it was not pleasant and the hangover as if I were in high school. That was the last time I drank...nearly two weeks ago. Cravings are very sparse and I'm seeing the world differently. I feel better, people say I look better, and my social anxiety doesn't seem anywhere near what it used to be. Essentially I just feel more confident. This is a miracle drug at this point as I haven't been sober this long since before I was allowed to drive. Good luck to you all.”

Ex-Addict9999 June 17, 2014

For Opiate Dependence: “I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict.”

Tj March 19, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I’m on day 5 of Vivtrol My vision has been blurry. I haven’t been able to stay awake very much . Yesterday I was stumbling. The stumbling part has gone away I’m starting to be able to see straight. I’m still tired. But I’ve been up all day. My doctor said the side effects will pass with in the next couple of days. Well worth a week of discomfort. I have no cravings for alcohol at all”

kyle5050 November 9, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence: “I just received my second Vivitrol shot. I am so glad that I did. It has helped curve my cravings and have had no side effects. I've been a heavy drinker for 16 years and have struggled with relapsing for a few years. I know this isn't a cure and this is a daily disease that should never be put on the back burner but not having the cravings where the only thing I can think about is that next drink helps a ton. To anyone that is thinking about trying Vivitrol I would say stop thinking about it and do it.”

jackrice1947 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: “I took my 1st Vivitrol shot around 9/10/14, 2nd -3rd-4th-and the fifth shot 01/04/15. By injection 30 days apart. I can honestly tell you that I have not had any cravings for alcohol since the very 1st day of shot. I can personally tell you that I have not had any side effects. Some people may have but I have not. I now speak at my rehab center (Clarity) where I was at. I'm a firm believer in Vivitrol. Saved my life. I will take it for a year.”

C.L. · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “This Vivitrol shot has literally saved my life, if only it had been available 10 years sooner, I have almost 2 years sober now with no cravings what so ever, it's like it just shut the alcohol switch off in my brain, only side effects is I have on a couple of occasions I've noticed some slight dizziness.”

Jqnit33 November 13, 2015

For Opiate Dependence: “I am a 28 y/o male, I used all drugs from about 12 but opiates and then IV heroin for about 10 years straight. I went through at least 7-8 rehabs and detoxes and endless county jails. In all those years I never had been able to stay clean more than a month on purpose. I've been clean now 1 year 8 months and a day. Vivitrol saved my life without a doubt. I was on it for 13 months with intensive out patient treatment and as many NA meeting as I could get to in a week. I had some issues sleeping with the first shot but after that the side effects were a headache here and there. Freedom from active addiction is worth any cost. Give it a try if I could do it I promise anyone can.”

Jacobyy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2015

For Opiate Dependence: “Hello my names Jacoby, I'm 21 I'm a heroin addict. I didn't have anything else work for me. When the suboxone was out of my system I'd relapse. Nothing ever worked for me. I had been putting off the shot as long as I could thinking "well what if I get hurt or break something and need pain killers" then I was fed up. I had lost everything and I was an inch away from losing the love of my life. I made the decision to get the shot I've had it a month now and was clean 2 weeks prior to getting it. Now I feel back to myself again. There's no feeling like it. I can wake up in the morning and roll outta bed to go to work when before I couldn't physically get outta bed without doing a half gram. I highly recommend to get this shot! You won't regret it!”

THighSoGrateful · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2016

For Opiate Dependence: “So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!”

Jamie September 22, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “Vivitrol injection on 9.19.2019. Can you drink? You can, but it doesn’t feel good. We know alcohol is a depressant. I always enjoyed the euphoria and was too drunk to recall the depression. Drinking now makes me feel heavy and dull and a bit nauseated. I failed the oral dosage because an hour before drinking I was salivating for the buzz! Now, I only have to be strong once a month while my resolve is strong. Now I CAN DRINK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON if I want. I’ve been sleeping long hours of good sleep. I’d been living on vodka/smoothies/vodka smoothies and whatever junk was deliverable after I was intoxicated. I’m eating better now. I have an 8:30am tomorrow. Sucks, but I won’t have a towel nearby for 6am vomiting. I also won’t be up for a morning run, but I will awaken unafraid to check my texts.”

Palanaki March 9, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “I've struggled with alcoholism for 10 years. Vivitrol was suggested before but I couldn't afford it. I was able to find a clinic that got a federal grant for Vivitrol. The first 4 - 5 days I was tired, leg cramps up thru my buttocks (felt like the flu), hip and ankle pain, irritable, sad, nauseous. Side effects eventually went away after 1 week. Cravings have been minimal to non existent. Yesterday I was irritable; had a bad day at work which triggered me. Decided what the hell and see if the drug really did take away that feel good feeling. I drank about half the amount I usually do and it didn't do anything other than the physical side effects. I ended up pouring the rest out and went to bed. This is a miracle! I am so grateful! Looking forward to continue using it for this year while I complete my 12 steps in the AA program so I will not only be physically healthy, but mentally and spiritually too! THANK YOU VIVITROL AND THANK YOU TO MY CLINIC AND GRANT MONEY!”

Annngggell · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: “I have been on the vivitrol since November 2016 I have remained sober for 5 months. The urge to drink went away and it felt good knowing that even if I drank on the shot I wouldn't feel the warm fuzzy feeling that I was so addicted to. So recently I did drink and I feel so terrible shakes.. Sick to my stomachs. Alcohol withdrawal is terrible and it really sucks. Now I know why I love feeling sober. Vivitrol had not only kept me sober it truly saved my life because I know that I have control of my life. I would recommend this to Anyone who has a problem with alcohol. It truly takes the cravings away. And helps you find yourself.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “Just received my second shot of Vivitrol today. I can't really pinpoint any side effects except loss of appetite... so if losing weight is a "side effect", sign me up! Helps with cravings, especially when paired with AA meetings and a mind set on sobriety. I would definitely recommend this for anybody having difficulty with alcoholism.”

Sandy Marie October 8, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “1st shot of Vivitrol on 9.9.19 & I immediately tried to test it but didn’t go hardcore. I did feel motivated to clean and care about responsibilities more than usual. Within a few days I was drinking heavy again & it was BAD. I suggest taking Antibuse before you even leave the office & keep taking it for at least a week so drinking is not an option. On 9.23.19 I met with my therapist and our talk helped but I still wanted to drink. Today, 10.07.19 I had my second shot. I was determined to not drink for a week to see the results and somehow ended up at an AA meeting on a whim. There I met a woman that talked to me for 3 hrs after the meeting where she called me out on my BS in a way only another alcoholic can. My recommendation: Vivitrol shot, Antibuse at first, a therapist you trust and respect (good luck, It’s a challenge), & AA meetings. Vivitrol is not a miracle. It is one ingredient in a recipe. Alone it’s like eating plain flour and expecting it to taste like cookies and cake.”

Twaud August 7, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence: “I am looking forward to my second injection. The obsession of taking a drink has been diminished significantly. I am motivated and happy. I attend 12 step meetings and do everything suggested from the fellowship however, this medication has taken me to the next level in my sobriety. It is merely a band aid to my disease and support is still extremely important. I recommend this medication to any chronic alcoholic who has a problem staying sober.”

Pamelas555 May 10, 2008

For Alcohol Dependence: “I am a chronic alcohol relapser and found the injection helpful. Not only mentally, is it a deterrent. It definitely curbs the "feeling" found in a drink because I did test it. The second shot only makes it more potent and you get better with time. Combined with meetings everyday, and the shot I have a better chance at an alcohol free life.”