User Reviews for Vivitrol

Learn more about Vivitrol.

Alcohol Dependence 17 reviews 7 medications

8.7
Opiate Dependence 71 reviews 8 medications

7.9
Summary of Vivitrol reviews 88 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Vivitrol

For Opiate Dependence "I have been on vivitrol for a month with no side effects whatsoever. A little sore at injection site for about 24 hours but really not bad at all. l don't believe naltrexone is what makes people feel like crap, it's really just withdrawal symptoms. Please do your research, have a support system, and don't let people scare you out of trying recovery! Good luck to all-"

Jen1221 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I just want to let everyone know Suboxone withdrawal can happen days after last dose. It's not the shot that makes you sick. As for feeling lethargic and lazy as well as everything else, Welcome to recovery. It can an take several months for your body to recover back to normal. That means having energy, good appetite, sleeping normally, regular bowel movements. And that can all happen even if your not on the vivitrol shot and just doing cold turkey. So please people do your research before you post information that could sway someone from taking this method of recovery. Because it could decide on if they live or die. And yes I am talking from experience."

Tom83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "People, if you are switching from methadone or buprenorphine (Suboxone) , do NOT get the shot right away. Both methadone and buprenorphine are long acting opiates. When a medical professional tells you that you need to stay clean for 5-7 days, they are speaking of short acting opiates. Heroin, OC, OP, OHC, and I'm sure the other codeine derivatives have a much shorter half-life (a measure of how long they stay in your body) than do methadone and buprenorphine. If you are trying to switch from one of the long acting opiates to the naltrexone shot, personally I would switch to a shorter acting opiate for two week, then stay clean off the for 4-5 days, and then get the shot. I understand this may not sit well with some people."

RussiaInMil (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Received my 2nd injection this week. So far, so good! No cravings and no discernible side effects from the shot. This has become a very tool in my sobriety toolbox, which includes AA, outpatient counseling and antidepressants. And, of course, my higher power, who I call the God. This shot is definitely worth a shot. ☺️"

Milo9116 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "This shot is saving my life. The first 5 days after injection were difficult due to side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches) but they have since dissipated. I no longer feel any effects and have been clean from IV heroin for 29 days. I highly suggest this shot for anybody looking to stay off of opiates."

MyTherapistSaidSo (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I'm Planning to be put in 17 Days in residential treatment and follow it up with vivitrol injection. I just worry because I hear that it's incredibly painful, but I an only really trying to get away from the subs... I'm down to less than 6mg but I've been IV'ing them. I still wouldn't think my bupe dose is high enough to worry about after 15 - 17 days... A friend did tell me that if you are clean enough to be eligible for it, it will make you feel like a million bucks! I'm extremely hopeful, and was hoping for some insight and / or advice, but I believe this is an awesome chance to get my life back, even though I am afraid of the sword length rig they use to do it... I just hope it all goes as well as planned, or better... #VeryAnxiousNow"

DaBirdMan July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Vivitrol has made me completely useless. I was taking methadone as prescribed every day for the last six years. I actually cut my dose in half the last 24 months. But, I decided to quit cold turkey to get on vivitrol. Now I am so miserable! I can only get myself to take a couple bites of food a day if I can keep it down. My head is constantly throbbing. I haven't slept more than two hours every night for at least a month. My body is so weak yet I'm constantly freezing and sweating. My hands shake all the time And the ringing in my ears is so loud I have a hard time hearing things sometimes. I find that I don't care about anything. I don't even want to be around my own son anymore. I am not surprised people get suicidal on this drug."

Jakwnwjxzak July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I had 10 months clean after being a heavy IV opioid user for years decided to stop on my last case which also prompted me to drug court. Well the judge for some reason put me on vivitrol even with all the clean time and program compliance. To summarise I had planned to exercise and live healthy and that is what was pushing me to stay clean, After getting the shot I felt empty confused, depressed, no drive, no motivation, no hunger, crippled libido, didn't care much about music movies or anything for that matter, excercising was torture. I asked the doctor if it would mess with my endogenous reward system twice and both times he evaded my question, seek recovery with healthy means develop skills to stay clean don't go be a lab rat for big pharma..go to inpatient"

G5444666 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Taken the Vivitrol Shot for 6 months. It's amazing! I would be dead without it. I was addicted to Heroin for years and nearly died several times. Why is this drug not encouraged for others. It's rarely used? It saved my life."

IV Heroin User (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Hello, I am coming off of suboxone. It has been 24 hours since the shot was administered. I feel great. Now rewind... at 1 pm I got the shot. By 2pm the withdrawals kicked in. I wasn't vomiting or anything but was very sleepy and dizzy. I went to bed. By 6 am the next morning I felt 60% better. I got up had a cup of coffee, and felt great. By 1pm (24 hours) I am about 90% percent better. I would just like to give people some encouragement. The reviews on here scared me as well. I tapered myself down before getting the shot...and I feel so far so good! It can be done! You do not have to sit home and withdrawal for weeks and even months. Everyone's body is different but I highly recommend this!"

Positive_Minds June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I had a choice between the suboxene which then I wouldn't be able to take my adderall or the vivitral which I can take with any meds. So of course I did the half pill test in the Dr's office and sat for 15 mins to see if I would have bad reaction. I was ok so then we went ahead and did the shot. I was excited to finally get this burden of the opiates that led to suboxene then stuck without knowing what to do. I'm done, don't want to live on this anymore...it's not living. I went in and did this shot and at first I freaked out when I got home like my body went into instant withdrawal . My body was spasming and I was freaked out. My cousin called 911 and they had given me 4 shots of ativan on top of two of my 2mg klonopin that I barely take."

Geeena (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Can anyone explain why the doctor at my local clinic was a completely disgusted with me for NOT wanting to receive the Vititrol injection? I'm not in trouble with the law, but I did get caught using Suboxone, which I have been off of for over two weeks. They said I would get to know this doc. Would talk to him. Tell him my story. Well, the nurses must have tipped him off. He was defensive right off the bat. Asking why I wouldn't think it a good idea. Then basically read a list of bullet points from his laptop on success rates and how without this i will almost certainly fail. Ive never felt like this. He had no other options but to go back on Suboxone. (Not gonna happen) He slammed his laptop and said we're done. ?????"

JEphro May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "This is my second time receiving the Vivtrol injection. It is very effective for Alcohol and Opiate dependence. I have had very little cravings for either drugs. My side effects were minimal. I highly recommend this drug for the disease of Addiction."

Grace/Mercy April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I have been a opiate user fir 15 years and yes they were prescribed and yes I still abused them. I first got off of oxycontin by using Suboxone which I bought off the streets. Sooo, I decided to try this miracle injection. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I don't know what's on this injection, but I've been sick for 5 days. I will wait for this drug to wear off and go back To the subs. Thanks for letting me vent"

Selma sur (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I'm on vivitrol and I have no side effects and I'm doing fabulous I have no desire to use I was an IV user for 13 years and vivitrol saving my life"

Alynnf April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "About to start"

Just looking (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I started going to a clinic to get extra help on top of AA. My alcohol use had gotten to a very, very dangerous level. I would flirt with sobriety through AA, getting almost to 30 days, then a bad craving would hit and I couldn't resist. Then I found out about vivitrol. After my first shot it cut my cravings down ten fold. Now 4 shots in I rarely have a craving and when I do it's manageable. This has allowed me to concentrate on my recovery without also battling cravings. I'm 95 days sober today and so grateful."

Mendee86 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been on the vivitrol since November 2016 I have remained sober for 5 months. The urge to drink went away and it felt good knowing that even if I drank on the shot I wouldn't feel the warm fuzzy feeling that I was so addicted to. So recently I did drink and I feel so terrible shakes.. Sick to my stomachs. Alcohol withdrawal is terrible and it really sucks. Now I know why I love feeling sober. Vivitrol had not only kept me sober it truly saved my life because I know that I have control of my life. I would recommend this to Anyone who has a problem with alcohol. It truly takes the cravings away. And helps you find yourself."

Annngggell (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I recently went through a medical detox from heroin and after 6 days when my vitals showed I was opiate free I was administered the Vivitrol shot which is pretty deep and painful in itself. I experienced terrible symptoms like upset stomach, diarrhea, severe restlessness, muscle cramps and twitches, nausea, chills, fever, enlarged pupils, lazy eye, extreme irritableness, high anxiety, rapid heart rate, shakiness, and sleeplessness plus the sight where the shot was administered ached like an epidural. I ended up in the emergency room with an adverse reaction. I feel like death and can barely focus on my actual detox and life. Next month when this shot is hopefully out of my system I will not get it again! At least I'm off heroin!"

JTEreRiggs February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Was the sickest I have ever even been in my nightmares!! Not fun - don't get with a habit and I feel like it does nothing for cravings its just like oh I can't cuz it won't do anything., but that doesn't mean anything if ur urge to use is still there. I had a heavy heroin addict before I got shot worst withdrawals of my life!!! Worse then methadone suboxone heroin mixed into 1 times 10 tough stuff. Each is own. If u are serious about getting off the shit this is one way.. Good luck"

cakattack (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I'm getting my 18th shot this month that means I have successfully completed the vivitrol program at a local adult facility. This shot did something not sure what but I don't have urges or wants to use drugs I was an I user and ruined my life almost but now I'm successful and nobody would ever guess how bad I use to be. And I don't ever have to be a junkie again. Thank god.... no side affects so I hope I can keep it up after this month and I hope my brain is okay with me stopping the shot."

Ive been set free!! January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I am a member of a support group for a person in their mid-20's recovering from alchohol addiction. The person has been taking monthly Vivitrol injections for about 6 months. The injections have helped the cravings, but not 100%. When the person did consume alcohol (vodka) it produced severe flu like symptoms that were similar to alchohol withdrawal. Has anyone else suffered these types of symptoms drinking alchohol while on vivitrol injections?"

SupportingGroupMember Question January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "I was addicted to opiates for 4years before this shot. I finally feel like I'm not living a double life any more! I was homeless within 6 months of first becoming dependant on heroin (IV from the start) and I've wanted to stop ever since. Will power alone is not enough! I've tried every way on my own, but now, with Vivitrol , I can be confident in my recovery. It's closing in on the end of my first month on it, it has caused some stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, anhedonia, and slight depression. The best comparison would be the feeling when you first start to feel withdrawal setting in. My craving levels were eliminated after administration, however toward the end of the month I'm feeling them more."

Jacqattack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Week three after Vivitrol. Still having severe insomnia, goose bumps, depression,lack of energy and weakness. It did curb my desire for cigarettes but because I feel so horrible for so long I am craving a fix. I'm only on the fence with this injection."

Sovie201336 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence "Only way I can stay off of heroin and pain pills"

DJ86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016