User Reviews for Vivitrol

8.4

Opiate Dependence

Summary of Vivitrol reviews 8.1 114 reviews

Reviews for Vivitrol

For Alcohol Dependence "I'm 39 and been drinking practically daily for 25 years. Mostly just beer but it got to the point where 15 beers a night was the norm. Wife and I decided to quit and she did cold turkey (of course) but I didn't go so easy. My med doctor recommended Vivitrol and I thought "what the hell". Took a shot in the butt that day and when I left I decided to test it. Drank as normal but magically the pleasure of drinking just wasn't there. I would physically feel the effects but it was not pleasant and the hangover as if I were in high school. That was the last time I drank...nearly two weeks ago. Cravings are very sparse and I'm seeing the world differently. I feel better, people say I look better, and my social anxiety doesn't seem anywhere near what it used to be. Essentially I just feel more confident. This is a miracle drug at this point as I haven't been sober this long since before I was allowed to drive. Good luck to you all."

DSC (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I'm on my 4 month if vivitrol. I haven't drank at all. I only think about drinking again when emotionally triggered. I think the drug is doing it's job and will continue. I am tired and depressed but that's just part of this whole clean up process. A+ vivitrol."

Sandilikeabeach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I had to stop my injections because of bad skin reactions, pain at the injection site, hematoma at injection site, hard lump (which is still there now) at site. My doctor said I can’t do it anymore. I have to take Naltrexone pills. I’m worried that all I have to do to get high again is not take the pills again. One day at a time I guess."

Ann (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 24, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "First of all I do not agree that this shot gives lack of energy and bad mood. Those are symptoms of acute withdraw and depression due to early sobriety. Many of my friends swear by this shot. For me personally I love it. I have no craving for opioids or alcohol completely. As with many of my friends the shot gave me an awesome surge of energy about 10 days after going on naltroxine! The injection site was sore for a week but it's the only side effect that I got. I highly recommend this medicine as it's noticeably making me feel great."

Smoky (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "Was on suboxone for years and tampered with it to be able to use heroin consistently. Have been off heroin 10 months and suboxone 6.. got onto Vivitrol 6 months ago, and at first felt like garbage. Though it was the vivitrol because I always felt fine taking suboxone, but in reality it was my body adjusting to being without an opioid.. after 2 months, I started feeling better. Forcing myself to exercise has helped a ton.. now when I get my viv shot, I feel a little lethargic and unmotivated for the first few days, but it goes away .. honestly, worth the annoyance for saving a life."

Tbird (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "Could not quit without it!"

Colliebudz (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I was an opiate user for close to 20 years. I've been on vivitrol for a month now. I have zero desire to use and to be honest have a hard time even remembering the way the opiates made me feel. I think a lot if people are confusing their regular post-acute withdrawal symptoms with the vivitrol side effects. I personally think vivitrol is saving my life."

Lil evil (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been getting the shot for four months now. I love how it helps with cravings. I have noticed though, that about a week before I'm due for my next shot. I get very irritable. Also feel more tired than usual. I can deal with the tiredness but the irritability can be unbearable."

Bekkyboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I was an addict for 20 years. Mainly opiates. I decided to seek help and got into a mat program that provides Vivitrol injections for free and Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). That's awesome and everything because I've been wanting to be on Vivitrol for a year at least but I didn't think it was possible because I didn't have insurance. So I went through the whole withdrawal process because you have to be clean to get the shot and then when I got the shot I thought everything was going to be great. I was wrong. The first five days I could not eat or sleep. After that I have been feeling a lot better but my anxiety has been out the roof. And the injection site still hurts sometimes even after 3 weeks. Next week I'm due to get my second shot and I'm hoping it will be better. It kind of seemed like I was on chemo because the first 5 days after the shot had such terrible side effects."

Steph (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I had high hopes for Vivitrol, and I see that it blocks the receptors, but the cravings persisted. I have only had one shot so far, so maybe it will work out better over time."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "Recieved my first injection of Vivatrol and had reaction the next morning to the drug. Swelling in the face and chills with sweats alternating and anxiety. With the drug however I did notice a lack of desire for drinking but it's hard to compare with the reaction I'm having. The Doctor is pulling me off of this medication."

Kevin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I received the Vivitrol shot 3 days ago for alcohol dependency. So far it has helped with the craving to want to drink. The side effects that I have is I’m constantly tired and have no motivation. I just feel blank and withdrawn from the world. I hear this lasts for only 4 days or so I truly hope that’s true. Hopefully my body adjust to this medication (injection) so I can get up out of bed and enjoy life again. I’m just so not used to being down I’m normally full of energy and have motivation to do things. Fingers crossed."

Lynelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I’m As a combat vet I ended up inpatient treatment at the VA. At first I was prescribed suboxone. Suboxone worked well while I was in inpatient. After treatment I relapsed and quickly fell. It got to a point quickly that I didn’t want to live anymore. I went back to the same inpatient treatment. I had 3 options Methodone (pushes the opiate receptor 100%). Suboxone (push’s it slightly). Vivitrol-blocks the receptor for a month. I tried vivitrol. I can tell you being 8 months sober that it is amazing. It is not just the medicine. Number one: is the desire to change. Number 2:-the knowledge I received through the VA. I have friends that have similar results "

Alive March 31, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "Listen up. It's probably worth the risk of trying it for a month to see if you get the side effects or not. I did I got extreme anxiety, depressing thoughts, and fatigue. Constant stretching and 0 motivation in the first five days. Then it's gets a little better so I don't know it drove me to go smoke meth but I didn't do heroin or want to. and now that I have made it through the 5 days of side effects I guess I could say it's worth it."

Ryguy March 26, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "My problem is I don't want the sick, irritable and withdrawaling feeling at all. I can't handle it. I have beat IV version use several times but didn't last long any suggestions."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been an alcoholic for the past 35 years I'm 52 pretty sad I tried every single way to stop, a year here, 6 months there. I thought I can just have one drink but it never ever worked. I tried every which way I could but it always round up to the same thing, drunk staggering in hospital or mental institute. I finally made the choice to get Vivitrol and it was the best thing I could have ever done I only had one shot so far and the craving is which I couldn't get rid of is gone. It's gone one shot I can't wait to get my second shot it's a miracle. Thank you Vivitrol and for anybody thinking about it seriously go for it it's worth your life I didn't get any side effects whatsoever God bless us all"

AnnaMoe1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I don't crave any opioids or drugs period. I got extremely sick though and have stayed sick."

KaylaSam February 20, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "Just started and noticed sleepiness and lethargy-I am also taking 5mg of valium 2x day to wean off of Ativan. I think that in conjunction with other meds the shot is causing the effects-I take HBP medication which itself causes drowsiness so I'm hopeful that I will be able to adjust all of my meds to accommodate staying off the alcohol-Has anyone had side effects the first time/first few days similar to this? extreme sleepiness/lethargy?"

FarRockjohnny (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I am on day 16 of withdraw from Opiate and Hdrm phone I have snorted them for the last year but have been on some kind of pain med for 15 years. I have ruined my life, my kids lives, my numerous husbands lives, and my parents. I am waiting to have the vivitrol shot. I am only waiting for test results showing I am free of opioids. I'm counting on this shot to work. Someone please offer some hope if you have it."

overit2 February 10, 2018

For Opiate Dependence "I tried this the year it came out for trial runs and it worked great. I still had some sensitivity after med wore off but that only lasted bout another month. I think it worked like it was suppose to. I think you should be off your Suboxone/Subutex for more than 72 hrs for it to work properly."

ADT December 31, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "So far on my first shot I notice a reduction in craving or thinking about alcohol. I hear after the second and third injection that the cravings go completely away. We shall see. But after the injection there is no sense in trying to get away with a drink as either you will feel deathly ill or feel nothing at all. Including no buzz or good feelings from the drink. No side effects for me. I’m happy I took the shot."

Elayna2020 December 30, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "I just completed a short term rehab and received the vivitrol shot 3 days ago. I had no side effects what so ever. It's very important that people wait at least 10 to 14 days off of any substance before receiving the shot. I got my shot on my 14th day clean. I feel amazing. Not craving heroin at all. I also started an antidepressant a few weeks ago so I'm sure that probably has a lot to do with me feeling good and being clean of course. I recommend people try the shot.. what do u have to lose.. if your serious about quitting this is perfect for you."

KimberlyV (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "If you want to be sober but can't & have tried & failed at sobriety then you are the perfect criteria. You failed at sobriety before because a chemical change, a physical dependance is making the calls putting your life in danger. You KNOW this but can't control it-- that's why you are always having anxiety & negative thoughts. You want to stop but can't manage to do so for very long. GET THE INJECTION! You will eliminate all the want/need/desire for use. Your body will heal itself giving you 100% of your attention for recovery. You will control your decisions again & no longer NEED anything to function. This injection will work & you will have chosen the fastest & most effective SOLUTION to your addiction. You need this..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "I cannot express enough how INCREDIBLE vivitrol is! I am proud to say I have 4 months clean. All the glory goes to vivitrol and God! After years spent being in a self destructive, repetetive, hopeless cycle... My Drug Of Choice's were methamphetamine and heroin (both IV). Now I no longer have cravings for EITHER substances. I am finally working. Got my drivers licence and a car. Am working on getting my GED. All things I never would have been able to do if I'd kept going from where I was. I am thankful and blessed to be alive and sober today. I 100% recommend this to everybody still suffering. My brother also got the shot after years of being in and out of jail, living on the streets, he is working now and doing wonderfully! So thankful"

Sammmmmmmmm December 2, 2017

For Opiate Dependence "Before starting Vivitrol 7 months ago I had been a heroin addict for a couple of years. If you're clean for 10-14 days before you get your first shot I can almost guarantee you won't have any horror-story adverse reactions. This drug saved my life; it took the choice out of my hands, forcing my mind to move on and buying me the time I needed to get my life together. People are depressed and all because they can't get over not being able to use, that's not a side effect of the drug it's a personal problem. I didn't experience a single side effect aside from some injection site soreness for 2-3 days after each shot - a small price to pay. If you need this and can get it, do it."

Ronald P. McDonald (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017