User Reviews for Vivitrol to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Vivitrol

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2020

“Ive only gotten the shot twice February and March 2020 and I'm not sure what to think it's good can as a heroin addict you know you can't get high so don't even try, cause it will just annoy you but the cravings are still the same as without it and the migraines every day and nausea are terrible. My sex drive went from very healthy to not wanting to touch my husband of 11 years and that's not like me at all!! And let's talk about the depression - I've never been so depressed In my life and I already have depression but it got so bad I would just lay in bed and cry. I didn't realize it it had anything to do with the shot until I read more about it and what people have said. I thought something was seriously wrong with me it's getting better now due to me haven't got my dose this month due to covid-19 and my insurance ...but I don't think I'm going to do it again ...”

Ang · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“I got the shot after coming off subs and within 3 hours I was sick as a dog. I foolishly took a half of a sub thinking jt would stop the detox only for it to make it worse. Doctor gave me some bullshit meds for being nausea and said "don't do that again" I've been sick in bed for 4 whole days. I'm never doing this shot again. I begged them to reverse it but they can't. Heres to a awful month.”

Lynn February 21, 2020

“I did rapid detox of subutex after 7 years. Got the vivitrol shot. Woke up after detox in instant withdrawal. They said it was post acute withdrawal but it's full blown and miserable. Day 7 and I'm literally just surviving on clonidine and gabapentin mainly. I'm weak shake and miserable. I just want my life back. I just want relief. Here's to 3 more weeks. Maybe it won't be so bad but at this point I'm going back on sub. This blows.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2020

“It’s been 4 days on vivitrol for opioid addiction. I’ve been experiencing mild head aches, bearable though . The thing that’s bothering me most is my cravings I was told they go away but so far I still have cravings and obsessions but just knowing I can’t get high helps a lot . One day at a time !”

None January 24, 2020

“The first day on Vivitrol I felt only what I could describe as peace. But then, the insomnia kicked in. I was all stretchy constantly, which was not really that big of a deal. But you know what was a big deal? The sexual malaise, or complete decimation of my libido. At first, I orgasmed extremely quick, then no orgasms no matter how hard I tried. It was hard on my relationship. If I wanted to not feel, I would have stayed on dope. Second side effect I have is this: it's been just about 30 days, and ALL I want to do now is eat. I guess this is because my receptors can take dopamine again? The food is just SO amazing I am pretty much obsessed with it. I am actually grateful to have had the thirty days to start creating new habits of not using. The most messed up thing is that trying to ask healthcare providers about these side effects (very specifically) elicited such evasive answers and denial of the facts that are clearly on Vivitrol's own website.”

ELMO · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

“I've been incarcerated for 47 months and the treatment center I am going to for out patient pushed the drug on me said it would be a safety net for me. I got the shot today at 9 am and I have been depressed, having horrible anxiety all day, no motivation. As one guy said it felt like he was in a dream and that is exactly how I feel. None of these side effects were explained to me at all. I'm so upset with myself for taking this. These rehab get $ for pushing drugs like vivitrol and suboxone I would not recommend this to anyone at all!! If this goes on for 28 days I'm going to lose my mind and no - these side effects are not me going through withdrawals or PAWS (Post-acute withdrawal syndrome) I'VE BEEN CLEAN 47 MONTHS!!!”

Cindy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2019

“So far vivtrol has saved my life - I'm 6 months sober. I call this my miracle drug. ”

BR · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

“Vivitrol SAVED my life! Anyone who truly wants a better life will take this medication into consideration. This is a game changer for anyone who is tired of waking up feeling tired from their addiction because once you receive this shot, you will instantly be back in control of your life. WORDS OF WARNING ** YOUR BODY MUST BE CLEAR OF ALCOHOL AND OPIOIDS FOR 7-10 DAYS BEFORE RECEIVING THE INJECTION AND FOR GOOD REASONS PLEASE TAKE CAUTION”

Ash · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2019

“I was addicted to pain pills for 12 yrs before it turned into a heroin addiction. I went through multiple treatment programs, drug court, multiple jail visits, and 3 prison stays. My last time in prison, my mom talked me into trying the Vivitrol so to make her happy I agreed, but I decided I wanted to use one more time. The day after I got out was my appointment & my plan was to go & talk with the lady & ask questions & tell her I wanted to look into the side effects & so on & so forth. Well for some reason I ended up getting the shot that day & it was the best decision I have ever made. I cannot believe how much it has changed my life. I love who I am today, I love the confidence that I have gained & the relationships I am building with my kids and my family & its all because I am sober & I am sober because Vivitrol. I don't think about using I have absolutely no cravings or triggers & the way I feel when I talk about Vivitrol is better then any high I have ever felt.”

Pipe man 308 November 1, 2019

“Let’s see? The Vivitrol journey started for me the day I went to jail and I haven’t looked back since! It was the best thing I ever did for myself!!!”

Anonymous October 31, 2019

“Vivitrol a great medication that takes away that creepy crawling cravings after detox. Is not addictive and it has no withdrawals what for me is one the best qualities of this drug. The only thing is you need to know when to take. For me taking after a rapid detox like the waismann method, is really the best way. But anyway you can get detox and stay off drugs, its worth it.”

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

“I hate this stuff I have to take it because of my sober living house. I've been on it for six months and I'm always sick off it in and out of the hospital it's killing my social life and efforts me at work gives me the worst headache ever I feel like I can not function or do anything it makes me vomit all the time and a constant migraine.”

KD · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

“I've only been back on the Vivatrol Shot for 2 days. I'm having no side effects. I got one Vivatrol shot 2 years ago and had no side effects or withdraw from it at all. I just got out of prison. I used the day I got out. I got the Vivatrol shot because I have to stop getting high. All of my friends that have gone to rehab then used Vivatrol have all stayed clean. I believe the longest one is 4 years sober. I get dropped by my PO once a week. So yeah at this point I have to stay clean, or go back to prison. I know it's only been 2 days but I feel like my cravings have stopped. I'm also going to do an IOP along with the shot. I need all the help I can get. I'm definitely not having any bad side effects. My ass cheek is a little sore were I received the injection but I would think that's normal. I guess only time will tell, but so far the Vivatrol shot seems to be working.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

“The first couple of days after I get the shot, I feel a little out of it, like “blah” and tired, but that goes away. This shot SIGNIFICANTLY helps my cravings to get high. There’s no obsession anymore. It’s just a thought and then it passes. Plus, after a while, it resets your dopamine levels back to normal and your brain heals. I recommend it to every opiate abuser out there and alcoholic!”

Pablo F · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 10, 2019

“I’ve been on and off of naltrexone since 2011, and I have mixed feelings about medicated assistance. It has helped me stay clean for 30 months this time around but I attend meetings and really want to stay clean. Vivitrol only acts as a buffer if I do get thoughts of getting high now. I plan on taking vivitrol until my insurance will not cover it anymore. I have had precipitated withdrawal from it before many years ago when the obsession to get high was greater than my desire to stay sober. If you have any inkling of getting high this drug is not for you. It was the worst for of detox there is.”

KC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

“I started Vivitrol injections 2 years ago and have been clean ever since! I became addicted to opiates 35 years ago and have tried every kind of treatment imaginable over the years. I used again after 6 months on methadone and only 3 months on suboxone. But Vivitrol works differently. Whereas the older medications kept me in active addiction due to causing euphoria and physical dependence, Vivitrol does not cause either of these. Vivitrol decreases my cravings and blocks the effects of opioids. Addicts won't spend there money on opiates while taking Vivitrol because they know they can't get high. It's been a life saver for me, and in my opinion, it's far superior to the older medications.”

SpecialK · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 13, 2019

“Heroin addict for over 10 years. Got on the shot. 100% blocks heroin, also blocked cocaine for me even though most people say it won't. Took ecstasy once with it and had a severely bad reaction. Still could drink alcohol and smoke pot normally. Did 1 year on the shot and after the first 2 months stopped trying to find my way around the block. Physically it kept me sober but mentally I am still just as much of a junkie. I have been off the dang shot for 7 weeks now and it is still in my system! I still can't catch a buzz off dope, this stuff takes away freedom of choice but hey thats what we wanted right?”

Liz August 29, 2019

“I have been an opiate addict for years. I was on OxyContin when I was younger, went to rehab and got clean for 10 years. I relapsed five years ago and got in horrible shape. I was using roxys and opanas IV. I went to rehab and a halfway for about six months. However, I was already using again in the halfway house. I just got the vivitrol shot about a week ago, but I am still craving. I don’t want to be this way, but I don’t know what to do. Does the shot get better on helping cravings? If not, I don’t know that I will get it again n”

Maximus August 20, 2019

“Vivitrol is a life saver for sure but the mental aspects such as the depression, lethargy, lack of motivation, gastro problems are all really side effects. But I was so depressed and lethargic from the shot I couldn't bear to stay on it any longer than a month. By day 25 the vivitrol depression was lifting and I started to feel normal again. You have to weigh the pros and cons of the shot. Nobody talks about how Vivitrol blocks the heroin from entering your opiate receptors. But it also blocks the natural production of serotonin and dopamine from entering these receptors as well. Vivitrol cannot differentiate between the two. It's a proven fact and I know from experience. But the makers of the shot don't want you too know this. In the end I have a love and hate relationship with Vivitrol. It gave me the time to heal . But the depression and lethargy the shot causes I wouldn't wish it on everyone.”

Monty August 7, 2019

“So I was on suboxone for almost 5 years . It helped get my life together but created a barrier for moving forward. I grew stagnant , just doing well enough in life to stay afloat. I kept the mediocre job , the small apartment and "ok" life. I'm staying humble through this time. I made the decision to get off the subs and chose vivitrol. At first the withdrawals from the subs were bad then I started getting better. My doctor "suggested" I get the vivitrol shot and I knew that would be a good decision. I didn't want to feel horrible like I did on the subs, I wanted pure sobriety. So I jumped on the idea without hesitation. I'm 2 shots in now and I feel as though I'm still in withdrawal. I will definitely not be getting another shot. I'm certain its because of the shot at this point . Over 2 months feeling like this??? I'm writing this hopefully to help someone going through the same thing . If you still feel pain, aches , insomnia, general dissatisfaction with life , it might be the vivitrol.”

Hobbit · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

“I couldn't stop using dope for the life of me. Literally. I used within 24 hours of getting the vivitrol shot. My doctor knew but he also knew if he didn't get it into me I would keep using and die. I had two days of intense withdrawal. Worse than I'd ever had. Then about five more days of laziness and being agitated. But once your mind finally gives up and comes to terms that you can't get high you calm down. The hustle stops. This was my only option to stop. Feeling like death for two days was worth the lifelong nightmare I was pursuing”

Spastic May 13, 2019

“I have been off and on Pharmacy pain killers for close to 10 years Eventually moved on to fet and H typically around 1-2 gs a day. Felt hopeless l, had to leave a 75k job because of its location being right in the fet mecca. Took the pill form for two months and wasn't really ready to commit. Finally got the shot and the first week I tried drinking on it with pretty rough side effects..slowly tapered off my drinking vice too just makes me gag thinking about it. Did ramp up the blow usage a little but that's just my mental state wanting to be something other than sober and I'm working on that too. I'm 4 shots in 6 months clean of any opioid and feel great all around. I did notice I orgasm really quickly...like every time is a quick. I've run through a wide variety thinking maybe they where just to hot? Not the case, I think I'm just finally feeling sex? Not sure but I'm quick draw McGraw till further notice. Best of luck to everyone, I'd highly recommend it to everyone.”

Lauren April 23, 2019

“While on the shot I had extreme fatigue and couldn't orgasm. Those aren't horrible, except orgasm part. Its getting off the shot that has gave me constant headaches that nothing touches, extreme anxiety and irritability, I feel crazy my mental health is not right. This is not my first rodeo, I was sober 15 months through AA, before I relapsed and got on shit after a treatment center. This is not normal for me and the only thing that's different in my life is I was on the shot and now I'm not. I recommend it for someone struggling being sober is better than dying from the disease. Though the way I have been feeling could have easily made me go change the bad way I feel if I didn't have the support I do.”

rogerrabbit · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2019

“I am 2 days in after getting my Vivtrol shot at a treatment center for opiate addiction. I don't really know how to define this all that well but I feel so weird right now. Its not PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome). At this point I am pretty much an expert on PAWS. I am not yawning every 5 seconds, not getting goosebumps, chills or anything I am used to. It feels like I am dreaming. I felt fine before they injected me and by the end of the first day this "dream" feeling started to kick in. The physical symptoms are minor but noticeable for sure. For me its really how my head feels that made me want to write this. Is any one else getting this? If it goes on for a while I won't get a second shot”

AyGi · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2019

“I’m having an amazing experience with Vivitrol. I was an opiate addict for almost 15 years. Methadone and Suboxone/Subutex didn’t help me at all. My cravings on those drugs were still out of control and I still couldn’t stop using. I got almost 2 years clean in a 12 step program then had a year long relapse. After detox I started vivitrol and rejoined the 12 step community and I’m doing great. I’ve had no cravings and pairing recovery with vivitrol I’ve had no obsession to use. No side effects either. My mood is fine no injection site problem just slightly sore the first day. Also unlike methadone or Suboxone vivitrol is 12 step friendly. Hope this helps someone.”

Learn more about Opiate Dependence