User Reviews for Campral

Alcohol Dependence
8.9

Summary of Campral reviews 8.9 167 reviews

Reviews for Campral

For Alcohol Dependence "I am a 36 yr old mother of 3, lots of history of abuse (sexual,emotional,mental) perpetrated by family members, father and ex husband, have a history of depression and anxiety. Have been drinking alcohol to excess for 16 yrs. I could go without alcohol,(a 6-10 pack of rum and cola cans) if pressed but would always feel ‘joyless,’ hard done by, anxiety ridden, depressed.. Being a smoker as well, my health was starting to deteriorate quickly.. Attempts, including going to AA, Valium to help with the ‘witching hour,’ self control, never worked. I thought I was going to die from the drink, I was beginning to want to, the awful life that I have endured, in my head for so long was becoming unbearable. I started Campral 7 days ago, I haven’t wanted an alcoholic drink (or cigarette!!) since the night before taking my first dose! This is my miracle!!!!! I honestly cannot believe it, it’s like I have never been addicted to anything, like I’ve been released from insanity.. CRAZY!!"

Journeyingtoselflove June 20, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "Thank you for sharing your theme, I have started Campral today, I feel teary and not looking forward to my first act at stopping, which I will try hard from now on. "

Jude June 8, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "I sought specialist assistance eventually for my alcohol dependence . I took librium and then campral and generally with support did 3 years sober until my mums wake in May 2017. It creeps up on you and before you know your dependant again. I've got a supported detox arranged for me after my 50th and intend to take campral again after librium detox. I strongly recommend you take time off work and be proactive in seeking support. Take a good look at your habits and strategize. I was at my happiest sober. Didn't even think about it after a while. I realised I wasn't boring and I hadn't lost my sense if fun. In fact I had more energy to have fun and lost loads of weight, so I am really looking forward to that one. It's nothing to be ashamed of it's a courageous move often admired. I'm really looking forward to my break of what prevents me from doing things I want to do. If you fall of the wagon then suss out why. Get support and pull socks up again. Ignore the stigma! Good luck to me and you. We rock for trying to break cycle "

Irish Drinker (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "After a decade of heavy Vodka drinking, I levelled with my doctor who, at my request put me on Campral. I lowered my alcohol in take for 8 days to 3 oz a day then began the Campral. I'm in disbelief how on the first day I felt euphoric! I had a therapy session which is important for me now. This works, why don't people talk about this more. Some said it took a few days I am grateful. Day 2 feel alive and Brave."

LoLo (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "Hi, I just wanted to share my experience regarding taking Campral for my drinking. At first, I was skeptical that it would work. My wife has been telling me about this medication for a while now. I have been a heavy drinker; my weekly consumption would be a 3-4 700ml bottle of Vodka. Some nights I would black out and not remember a thing. Since taking Campral for 1 month now, I do have some cravings but not enough to start back up again. I highly recommend this medication to anyone who wants to give up or cut down drinking. Talk to your doctors as they can recommend what steps need to be taken."

Prazza (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been drinking heavily for 2yrs, I'm 39years old, its killing me, I have had a past DUI, broke leg after falling while drunk, only day 2 for me, I hope it works, I need to stop or alcohol will be demise. I would drink until I blacked out. I pray that it works."

mimi (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "Greenpea...don't lose hope at all. I have done a ton of research and it takes up to three weeks to begin to change your brain chemical imbalance and restore the neurotransmitters...keep taking it!! You can do it!"

Sunny92 January 29, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been taking six 333mg Campral daily and have so far been sober for 270 days. For the first few weeks I was sceptical but trust me after a month you won't look back. Not only is it so easy to refuse a drink, I just don't feel like one. Since 9 months ago when I had my last drink I've lost 20kg just from the lack of extra bad carbs and sugars. I feel amazing and I thank the campral for turning my life around. I drunk about 10-15 units daily for years. Not a massive drinker but a regular one (like most Aussies). I needed to give up but failed every time. Campral has made it so easy and I don't even think about drinking. If you're reading this and doing research I 100% recommend you see a doc and see about going on campral. You won't look back. Only $38 a month in Australia too..."

wigbilly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "This is my third day and I am impressed. I have been a heavy drinker (1-2 bottles of wine per day) for the last 20 years. Before Campral I was constantly having withdrawal symptoms of severe anxiety, depression, guilt of not doing anything right and not recalling anything at all- my memory was shot! It’s only day 3 but I feel good: less anxious, not shaky. I do sweat lots at night but that is it. So far, it is great. I hope I can get my memory back and stay sober. Good luck to all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "Been taking this since Friday. Maybe it’s not enough time? But right now I’m drinking a glass of red and enjoying it. I went to my local store and just couldn’t help myself :-(. I really really wanted this pill to work. I’m heart broken."

GreenPea January 21, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence "I see from other reviews this medicine seems to work 100% or not at all. I'm in the lucky category, along with my husband who is taking it too. We are 37 and 40 years old and have been highly functioning heavy drinkers for the last ~ 10 years. We regularly have 3 - 6 drinks a day on weekdays and maybe 5 to 8 drinks on weekend days. We started taking Campral just a few days ago, and I feel like a different person already. Miraculously, it takes the desire to drink away completely. I can hardly explain it. I went to a restaurant today where people were enjoying martinis and wine all around me, and I wasn't the least bit tempted. Nighttime has historically been difficult when trying to quit, and we have not had any desire to drink. It's a miracle for us, and I'm excited to see how much our life will change in the coming months, as alcohol has been the center of our universe for a long time. I can't recommend this enough for anyone feeling dependent on alcohol. Good luck to all."

Jenn December 20, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "For me the old-fashioned, puritanical "Alcoholics-Anonymous" approach is a joke. There IS medication for alcoholism. Alcoholism is a genetic thing...not a lack of character development. Take this medicine - it actually works!!!!!"

jmuney (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I started the meds about 4 days ago. Went 2 days without drinking but cravings overwhelmed me. Of course I felt ashamed and like a hopeless failure. I hope that it will help me as much as all of these commenters. Maybe it will kick in with a little time. I"m desperate. Going to AA and to a therapist. Trying. Wish me luck."

Meherc October 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "55 year old. Drinking heavily for fifteen years. Tried campral for three months. OK to begin with but as it built up in my system it completely numbed all of my senses. I am normally an upbeat, happy person but it made me feel down all the time, tired, couldn't be bothered doing anything, lost interest in friends and family, memory loss to the point where I'd be having a conversation and couldn't recall words. And, probably the most embarrassing symptom, was that the muscle relaxant effect made me wet the bed twice which I have never done before (not alcohol induced). On researching this I saw that it is a common side effect but largely goes unreported for obvious reasons. It did however reduce my drinking, mainly because I was spaced out and zombified on campral and didn't need further intoxication."

Diane October 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I’m ashamed to say I was drinking too much .... I went voluntarily to my doctor for help and she suggested Campral along with counselling. I had read the reviews and side effects etc and thought ok I’ll give it a try. I HONESTLY can’t believe how this has worked for me. It’s only been two weeks on Campral but I did change my drinking habits prior to starting Campral with a week completely off alcohol. I don’t feel much desire to drink and I had previously dreaded nighttime and weekends that had been the hardest for me but the Campral worked so far. I know every one is different but I would urge you to give it a go , I just wish this was prescribed to my sister who sadly passed 8 years ago with alcohol dependence being a main factor, I’m sure it would have helped. Good luck to all on their journey"

Mags (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I just started it and am feeling shaky and nauseous. I also have a headache but am not sure if it's related. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I can keep taking it if it makes me feel this way."

Bvkrk1500 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "This drug is an absolute miracle and a literal lifesaver. Like many here, I tried many times over the years to "white knuckle" getting sober and tried several rehabilitation programs, including AA. I was racked with guilt for being a failure and my marriage was on the rocks, to say the least. I'd be motivated to get clean, but always found a way be back to my old, heavy drinking ways pretty quickly. With Campral, I simply have no real desire to drink. While my "relapses" used to be nightmarish, week-long benders, my one slip on Campral was just that -- a day where I had a few drinks. The next day -- no desire to drink and just back to life as normal. No side effects I've ever noticed, except that I've lost a lot of weight from not drinking (a good thing in my case). I have no idea why this isn't prescribed as THE go-to medication for anyone struggling. Eleven stars if that were an option."

tdog August 21, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "Hi I have been drinking since I was 15 years old and I am now 37 years old. It has only got worse as the years went on. To be honest, drinking 12/15 cans a night maybe 5 times a week. Then I was introduced to campral and I said to myself why not. I am not getting any younger plus my health is getting worse, so I started my first day today, so hopefully they work for me , it is only my first day so it too early to say much about my cravings, but I got thru today so ok I suppose"

Pp82 (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been a heavy drinker for 25 years+. Since my early 20's, I drank a magnum of wine daily. About four years ago, my Dr.s wanted me to stop. I've been to detox three times, inpatient once, intensive outpatient program (IOP) twice, DUI at 40, and fatty liver disease. AA is not my thing because I have social phobia I tried Antabuse but always relapsed with it still in my system. Recently, I was on Vivitrol but drank the same amount, if not more. I was starting to drink a fifth in one night, and I knew I couldn't continue because was killing me slowly. My Dr suggested Campral. My cravings aren't there and it's only been five days, but I've never had this experience before. Usually, I'm climbing the walls in one way or another, and in the last few years, I've gained 50 pounds because I kept replacing alcohol with food every time I had sobriety. This is different. I just don't care about alcohol, and my family drinks heavily, and there are gallon bottles of booze on the counters."

Zapata (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I am 2 1/2 yrs sober. I did 16 weeks of treatment in early 2016 and 2+ yrs of weekly therapy along with weekly aftercare meetings. I still go to therapy just not as often. With all that said, I was on campral for the first year and then discontinued use and was fine. I've been back on it for 2 months as I was in a car accident in March 2018. My cravings since the accident were mostly for opioids but since I was familiar with how campral works in my body I chose to be put back on it instead of something for opioid cravings. Campral has helped save my life twice. I'll stay on it this time until things mellow out. I guess why I'm writing this review is to tell people that this medications can help with cravings but the reasons why you used in the first place need to be addressed as well. I never would of stayed sober if I hadn't worked on my self to. This is a wonderful medication that works in tandem with other means of staying sober."

Steph July 5, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "Doesn’t seem to work for me all that much. I’ve been on this a while 2 tablets of 333MG three times a day. It caused me to have allergic reactions too, such as hives and itching. The shakiness (DT's )still has not gone away. I’m 22 days sober today from alcohol dependence. Prior to that I was clean for 60+ days and had a relapse only over the course of 8 days. So this detox shouldn’t be bad. Even with all these meds that I’m taking my anxiety becomes overwhelming sometimes and I feel like picking up a drink however I still haven’t and want to remain sober. So my doctor prescribed me a low does of Librium (25MG) and told me to take 1-2 times a day just until my symptoms are under control. I was taking visteral but it didn’t help enough for me personally. For me this alcohol craving pill might as well be a sugar pill"

Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I had relapsed 4-5 times after my first serious attempt to stop drinking. After starting campral, I have 7 months sober. I read these comments before starting and I’m glad I did. It’s working, I can walk into a liquor store and buy a soda! Cravings only appear during high stress, and they’re easier to fight now. They should try this on every alcoholic!"

Ilex (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I started taking Campral while in a treatment facility. I was unable to tolerate naltrexone. Although both addicted to alcohol and opioids the Campral is only used for alcohol dependence but this drug is nothing but amazing. I have no cravings! I take 666 mg. 3 times per day. Started on 333 mg. I think this drug is best in a combination with cognitive behavioural therapy and a program such as AA or NA. You have to want to deal with the addiction. Nothing is a "magic bullet" I highly recommend this medication."

MichaelB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "This drug has not been helpful. I have not taken it 3 times a day as prescribed though. I have had my usual amount of alcohol every day since I started it. Today I am starting again ( for the hundredth time). I am going to take all three doses today. Starting to think there’s no help for me."

Trying May 28, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been reading the reviews for Campral for over a year and finally got over the embarrassment and asked my doctor. I started it four weeks ago and haven’t had a drink in three weeks. I knew there was no way I could go the recommended 5 days without alcohol because I’ve tried and the withdrawals were debilitating. So, I started it while I was still drinking. After a couple days on it I I had no desire to have beer, wine, margarita, nothing. I was drinking an entire bottle of wine and 6-7 beers nightly. And on the weekends I started drinking as soon as I finished my coffee and drank until blackout. Now, a month in I self-lowered my dose to 1/3 of what I started with and still no craving or withdrawal. I may be done even taking the rest of what I have left. Now I have the will power to even be around people drinking and just have a soda or tea. This medicine saved my life. For reference I’m a 40 year old female."

KAN May 24, 2018