User Reviews for Antabuse

Alcohol Dependence
8.9

Summary of Antabuse reviews 8.8 57 reviews

Reviews for Antabuse

For Alcohol Dependence "I tried acamprosate and naltraxone. Both were jokes. Finally I tried Antabuse. I heard many stories online that some could even drink on antabuse. I was in fear. It was my last chance. I wanted the drug to make me sick, terrible sick. Because I knew I would eventually experiment. Few days passed sober one day I had a urge to drink I wanted to experiment so I took a beer, afraid and scared I finished my first beer. Once the beer was in my fear vanished I ordered another and went home. Slowly I got what about to happen. A feeling of heart attack. I wasn't able to breath. But inside I was happy - my biggest fear that antabuse wouldn't work wasn't true. It was working promise. First time in my life I booked a cycle rickshaw for 10 min walking distance asked the driver to drop me at whatever price. I puked ,unlimitedly had terrible headache. I was so happy that next weeks I took my antabuse everyday. Side effects: I sleep 24*7 on weekends and wish I had more time to sleep. Too much fatigue and drowsiness."

Deepak August 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "I've struggled for years with daily drinking at least one bottle of wine per night but more often than not, it would progress to nearly two. I beat myself up every day with guilt and still could not get past the 5pm trigger. Say nothing about the money I was spending. $15 bottles most of the time. Went to Counsellor who referred me to a GP who prescribed Antabuse. I am now Alcohol Free for 18 days. There is no going back. I remember feeling the same resolve when I finally gave up cigarettes many years ago. DRUG FREE at last. I'm going to treat my body with the utmost respect from now on."

Marg (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "After trying abstinence, hypnotherapy, meetings, I was finding that nothing worked. This was a last resort for me. After a few days of taking Antabuse medication, I drank and found it very uncomfortable to do so. My eyes were bloodshot, my face red and flushing, chest hurting and feeling nauseous, eyes blurred, dizzy and ready to pass out. Despite this, I still drank a few more times and had the exact same reaction. If I drink now I mostly throw up and pass out for a few hours and wake up really sweaty. It has really taken the joy out of drinking. Every time I drink on this medication the more adverse I feel to alcohol. I've started drinking alcohol-free alternatives because what's the point in drinking alcohol but throwing up and passing out after a single? All I know is that I will keep taking the medication, and I'm wanting to drink less and less. I wouldn't recommend this as a first port of call but if you've tried a few things and nothing seems to work then give it a go."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "My son started to use this over the weekend. He almost died in an accident in 2014. He has been drinking severely for years. As parents who love him so much it has been such a difficult time. Lots of tears, financially cleared out, in between jobs, friends trying to help him and praying day and night for my son to stay alive. May this be the answer to our prayers. Some things we cannot do alone some of us need more help."

Pietie (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "500 mg per day appear to make me very drowsy"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence "Been a 'problem drinker' for a long time. Alcohol is EVERYWHERE, its just too hard to have the willpower never to pick it up again, and one drink leads to many more. Antabuse should be advertised more. I wish more people new about it. I borrowed some from a friend who was done with it (yes, I know I should have seen a doctor). It works fabulously. Of course I experimented to see the affect. A half glass of beer and my face and eyes would turn red, my heart beat would increase, my breathing would change, and some degree of fatigue and dizziness might ensue. It keeps me in check in the way I want, and I've got my excuses not to drink line up when the situations arise. I find my self eating healthier and no hangovers!"

Bobby James (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been occasional drinker for 10 years and that turned into another 10 years of everyday drinking. 1.5 L of wine or 350 oz of hard liquor together with 3 bottles of 0.5L of beer. Didn't have a willpower to quit on my own ( tried too many times). 500 mg of disulfiram (Antabuse) once a day along with 2 mg of Ativan solved my issue. I got my life back. I will recommend this combination to everyone who wants to get their life, dreams, family back. I would recommend not to chose a time, day or date (e.g. January 01, first day of each month or next day after birthday). Get those pills, wake up in the morning or on your way from work and just take that ONE pill!!!!"

Borys (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I have attempted sobriety several times, all resulting in returning to alcohol. I attempted Antabuse once and panicked. I have learned from my experiences. I have been sober for over 3 months now, started Antabuse two weeks ago. Now it is my system I could not rate it high enough but would stress being in the correct state of mind is essential. I have not succeeded in the past but am extremely confident that I can and will this time. SIDE EFFECTS OF ANTABUSE Tiredness Headaches Spots SIDE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL Blackouts Vomiting Hangovers Memory Loss Cost Time in Hospital Loss of Bladder/Bowel Control Physical Damage to self (accidents, broken bones) Seizures Embarrassment After effects due to behavior whilst drunk. PREFERENCE?"

Divalady (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "Absolutely changed my life and made sobriety possible. Should be prescribed more often. I've read that in other countries it's more widely available and used. I thank the heavens for it and I thank my doctor for explaining to me about it and providing me with it. Call it training wheels for good decision making..."

Christine M. S. May 3, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "this drug literally saved my life. I had a routine where after work everyday I would go to the liquor store, get a 40oz and knock it back, before heading to the bar. I did this for years. When I finally hit a wall (it's a long story) I saw a few different healthcare professionals, one of whom was a psychiatrist and he prescribed me Antabuse. He explained it to me very well, and asked me if I would try it and I agreed. The thing about it is, this drug forces you to change your habits. It gives you the time you need to think things through and make different decisions. While I was taking Antabuse I had to take the time and thought required to figure out other things to do with my time. It was a process. IT WORKED. Sober 9yrs."

Chris. S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been taking it for a week after a long period of heavy drinking. I've tried other drugs to stop cravings but with little success. The Antabuse gives me no choice but to not drink. The hard part is taking it but once I did I felt a sense of relief knowing I wasn't going to drink that day. It's not easy but it does work or at least give you a break to get your thinking straight."

Kempff April 2, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I finally feel relived that I have control over my craving to drink everyday. I am really happy that I can go into a bar and hang out with my friends and not drink. I am from WI and have basically been drinking since 15. I spent 27 years in the Navy and drank like a sailor. I was a Navy pilot and it was definitely part of the culture. I have been a binge drinker since the beginning. Now I am a businessman and always under constant pressure. Business dinners all the time and a large expense account do not help. I found myself self medicating with alcohol everyday. Just started Antabuse two weeks ago and now I feel in control. Naltrexone was a joke. I could power through that. It was really hard to get prescribed. No side effects"

Scooter1994 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I initially started on Antabuse when I realized I could not stop on my own. My fear of side effects from drinking on it was sealed after I purposely had a half glass of alcohol while taking it. You develop a funny taste in your mouth, flushing and heart racing. I think effects are worse the longer you've been taking it and how much you drink if you decide to drink around the time you took it. When I was ready to discontinue the drug, I read you had to wait one week. At that point I had been taking about 250mg per day for a couple of months. When two weeks was up, I had a glass of wine. I had a reaction, it wasn't severe, but I had the hot flushing, racing heart, and yucky stomach feeling. So for me, the drug was still in my system."

Kayzee124 January 6, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence "I don't see a lot of posts on this but if I can reach 1 person then it's well worth it. I was a heavy drinking alcoholic for 10 years. Went to detox and was on 250mg for 102 days. Had to stop taking as a precaution for knee surgery. 5 days later I figured why not see what happens. Passed the ethyl alcohol on skin test. Passed the use regular mouthwash for 3 days test. At the end of day 5 I cracked a beer on empty stomach and sipped slowly. After 1/3 the beer in 10 minutes I could feel my face flushing and could see the itchy red hives on my forearms. That was enough for me. Poured the test down the sink and will start taking again after the surgery. Alcohol destroyed my life once. No way I was going to let it happen again."

AJ68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been experimenting with this drug for over a year. I have pages of stuff to say but that is not what this is for. I know that I won't be able to use this forever but I have no choice but to do what works for now. With a lifetime of struggle, this negative reinforcement is the only thing that has ever worked. I want to warn anyone that takes this medication. I have tried every combination of dose vs time laps and alcohol quantity, including smoking alcohol. That 2 week gap between your last dose and your first drink, do yourself a favor and stick to it. What happens if you don't is unpredictable. I have experienced nothing to severe reactions not even found on the net."

liquoredup October 7, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I started taking Antabuse to try and short circuit my inability to resist picking up at the drop of a hat.I now had to wait two weeks and ,more often than not, would decide, not to drink after all. So , for me, its been effective. Reading these reviews, I've learned a lot about side effects, that I never would have connected to my taking Antabuse I never knew that Antabuse had any sexual side effects, until now.This is a concern to me. Drowsiness, tiredness, tingling in my feet, are further side effects. These reviews have been very educating. My five years on Antabuse are over, for sure."

Beachgomer August 30, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "Keeps me sober"

vbreaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "My husband is an alcoholic and has been taking Antabuse for a week now. In the last 2 days the Antabuse hasn't stopped his excessive drinking. The pills haven't had any effect on him. I am really disappointed, I really wanted this to work. I know he was definitely taking the tablet everyday, because I watched him dissolve it in water then drink the whole glass. Now, I know there's no stopping his drinking, it's all up to me as a mother to leave him, because this behaviour is not acceptable around young children. So sad."

Mother and wife (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "Since I have started on this medication, I have felt very few cravings to drink. It is great as a deterrent, so I have not even bothered to test any reaction to drinking. The thought crossed my mind just to try, but the thought of being horribly Ill just to see if I would be didn't seem like the brightest idea! Anyway, my main reason for posting this is to say that unlike many of these posts, I have suffered some side effects. I've struggled a little with sexual performance and have had some rash and acne issues. I will visit the doctor to see what can be done about these because I don't want to stop this medication. It works great. I am forty two and have been abusing alcohol for at least twenty years or so. Almost seven weeks clean!"

DogmanBLount March 28, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been sober for just over a month. I had been sober for a month before (in some cases many months) but this time feels different. In my most recent bout with alcohol, the quantity I consumed and the frequency of my drinking episodes increased tremendously. My cognitive function and physical/mental state had taken a downward spiral. I wasn't able to keep a job or facilitate healthy relationships with those around me. I spoke to my doctor about Antabuse and after some reluctance was able to obtain a prescription. I have been faithful about taking the pill every day and cravings have been minimal. Knowing that the option to drink isn't physically possible has been the chief contributor to this attempt at sobriety."

Birdman694 March 27, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I am amazed that this medicine is not prescribed more often. It WILL make you stop drinking as long as you take it. My wife gives me my medicine daily. If you really want to STOP drinking ask your doctor to give you a prescription."

sober mr. smith March 18, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I had allowed to let alcohol take my life from one that most would kill for and now into the hell I knew 6 months ago. I had lost just about everything so that I could drink alone and keep getting that feeling feeling of ease that alcohol brought me. If I had I not been prescribed antibuse and started taking it I am confidant that I would either be dead or in jail right now. I have been taking the medication now for 6 months and have not drank. This miricle medication combined with AA and spiritual fellowship have very quickly turned my life back in the direction that it should have been going for the past 2 years. I have suffered no major side effects other than a lack of cravings."

Cdavis178 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Well, I had tried everything to beat the demon booze. Tried Nalmofene, Campral and Naltroxene medication, went countless AA meetings etc. But Nothing worked. Then I did some research and saw this medication and thankfully my doc prescribed it. Have been on it 6 days and stupidly enough decided to see on the fourth day what would 1 can of lager do? Managed to get through half the can and suddenly the symptoms begun. Flushing, my throat felt like it was swelling, thought my heart wars going to pop out my chest it was pounding so much and then I experienced uncontrollable shaking like Shaking Stevens. Then I burst into tears. Felt Awful! This tablet is a brilliant deterrent."

Euch (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "took antabuse on and off for 3-5 years, finally I got 3 consecutive yrs sober and I quit the pill and been sober over 20yrs. I wonder why I ever drank and have had good life now with lot less worry"

Anonymous October 3, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "have not ingested alcohol while on anabuse"

bluuuuu October 1, 2015