User Reviews for Campral

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Campral.

Campral Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Campral to treat Alcohol Dependence

"I started using Campral 7 months + ago to help me stop drinking and it has been a godsend. It’s still taken some effort but been much much easier than I’d dared hope. I’m getting my life back and changing it as well. I don’t ever want go back. If you are thinking about quitting drinking then this med is worth a try although I understand it doesn’t work for everyone. Have also been taking Baclofen with it and planning to stay on both for a year."

Arowan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

"I've been a heavy drinker for 10+ years and finally decided to quit with the help of Campral. I am 45 days sober and Campral has stopped all the cravings I used to have. I have been taking 1 pill 3 times a day and that has been working well."

Anonymous10004 December 20, 2017

"I was a very heavy drinker from 6am til lights out everyday, week, month, year for the last 10 years. I had never driven my cars at night because I was always drunk. I drank approximately 7,300 beers last year alone (20 a day) I wanted to get off the merry go round so I went to my local doctor and told him my plans and fears. He prescribed Campral, The instructions were NOT to consume alcohol while taking the medicine. Well I was drunk so on the Sat night I took the first 3 pills. The next morning I woke up and thought about having a beer after coffee but seemed okay not having one. That was 2 weeks ago and I still have not had a beer. Brilliant medicine. I quit smoking 2 days later. Campral seems to help with that as well."

Tahoa (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"I’m a 43 year old guy living in the uk. I’ve been a regular big drinker since the age of 24. Always liked the buzz I got off drinking, always drank till I was totally out of it. Done drink driving four times, the last time I should have been banged up but somehow got away with it, bolloxed up a few relationships along the way through it. In the early years it was fun but it’s destroyed and damaged the last 10 years of my life. Currently in a relationship with someone I love very much and respect a great deal, I’m doing this for both of us. My GP wouldn’t prescribe so going through a referred clinic to get campral after hearing all these uplifting sucess stories from people. Hope it works for me as it did for you. Getting it this Friday"

Mk43 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

"Apart from a few years where I switched to speed I've been a binge drinker for over 20 years. Recently the binges have been more frequent and lasting longer. After the truly awful withdrawal symptoms subsided I'd last a few days at most before beer started calling my name again. As the saying goes I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I discovered campral by accident and it's as close to a miracle as you can get. I'm amazed. That voice inside my head is finally silent!"

Just Matt November 5, 2017

"I'd been drinking for years and it got very heavy on the last two years and worse so in the last 6 months. I failed with antabuse and doctor switched me just this week to this drug. It's been amazing. I went for a few social beers which were planned but I couldn't be bothered with drinking. I would normally have drank until I blacked out but I barely had any urge to drink anything. I had beers in the fridge and normally I would have drank them also after getting home, I woke up they were untouched and I just poured them down the sink. It works!!"

CrashHolly (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

"At the end, I was drinking a fifth of vodka daily, sometimes more. Was pretty excited about the Sinclair Method using Naltrexone, but it didn't work for me as it did for others. Two trips to the psych ed with debilitating depression fuelled by alcohol, one inpatient stint and one rehab later, my psychiatrist prescribed Campral. I'm two weeks in and the worst "craving" was thinking about drinking prior to the holiday weekend. I used my other supports and didn't drink. I also take gabapentin 600mg three times daily and Zoloft 200mg nightly to help with anxiety and depression. (This rating would be a 10, but I've had diarrhea for a few days after upping my dose to 666mg 3x/day.)"

Obladi (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

"I have been taking this for 3 weeks now following a librium detox, I was drinking 3 to 4 bottles of red wine each day, sometimes more. Since taking Campral 3 times a day I haven't had a drink, nor have I wanted to. I have been out socially with others and had diet Pepsi, people have commented on how well I look, even those who didn't know that I was undertaking detox and I have lost 9 pounds in weight, this is an amazing drug, I was drinking throughout the night and day pretty continuously and I haven't craved a drop."

Wendyann67 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

"All be honest I took this and nothing maybe it's all the other meds I take but took this for alcohol and drank alcohol while on it And nothing felt no reduced cravings"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

"I am just checking in again. I started campral and naltrexone last fall after drinking for years, failing the traditional in-patient treatment/AA way...... I am now nearly 10 months without a drink. I don't really crave alcohol. Occasionally a stressful situation will come up and I will think about drinking, but that passes quickly because I just don't have the cravings or desire. My life is so fulfilling. It's not without it's challenges, which is why I have regular counselling in order to recognize and deal with what issues I let alcohol take care of. I truly do wake up thankful for this relief."

pbs1boone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

"I've been on this before and it works. The thing is if you take this for a week, then you slip in a drink...you will not feel that intoxication that you crave and are addicted to. This drug also keeps a person from feeling the euphoria associated with opioids."

WineAddict (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

"I was immediately put on the suggested 333mg x2 tabs-three times a day ..as soon as I started my community Detox; which included Librium. It is early days here BUT the change in me is enormous. I drank since 20...a "binge drinker" or so I thought!!. I was unable to Stop. I'm Lucky to be alive . Once a car I was in went over a precipice but still I craved the alcohol. The craving was pure hell. Now at 56-I feel finally freed out a prison of craving something that would have killed me . THANK YOU CAMPRAL. People In AA had given up on me and I'd given up too...till Campral. "

Happy and Free (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

"Absolutely amazing I am 60 and been a heavy drinker all my life At least one to one and a half bottles of wine per nite Two or three bottles per day on a weekend plus beer or anything else if I was out After I started taking this I noticed the difference the very next day Within a few days I was having alcohol free days Within 3 weeks I was going for a week or more without a drink but started drinking a lot of mineral water At 6 weeks I was not even thinking about alcohol After 4 mths I stopped the tablets At six mths I have no craving at all If I am out with friends I will have a red wine occasionally and stop ( could not do this previously )might have a red once every 10 days or so but am completely in control I am still absolutely astounded how well they worked for me"

A1111 June 7, 2017

"Its helping me NOT to eat"

Dace (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

"My partner has been a heavy drinker for over 5 years now, and within the last 12 months it officially began to get out of control, leading him into the hospital 3 times for an acute attack of pancreatitis. It got to the point where I was going to leave him cause he just wouldn't stop. He also lost his license from drink driving and almost went to jail because of it. It got up to him drinking 700ml-1lt of scotch every day AND going out on top of it before he decided he wanted help. At first he promised me he could ween himself off on his own (don't they all), and obviously he wasn't successful. So his doctor put him on Campral. It has been 9 days now and he has had 1 beer with dinner. He says he just doesn't have the desire to drink anymore."

Mange87 May 25, 2017

"My Dr prescribed this medication at my request and it has helped me considerably. I used to drink every day around that "happy hour" time. I would drink hard alcohol of my choice for that week. I drank about 6-8 shot per night. I have been on Campral a week shy of two months. I have drank on two occasions but did not have the urge to drink it was a matter of just wanting a drink and seeing how Campral will work after the fact. I did not feel the urge to keep drinking the days after I drank on these two occasions. This medication works wonders for me and my family. They have me back. I recommend you try it out. I feel no side affects taking Campral. I can't even tell I have added this medication to my daily meds. Kim"

KimmyBelle May 9, 2017

"I've been relapsing since I started drinking 10 years ago. I tried Campral, but didn't bother to take it as prescribed, often forgetting. After my 3rd rehab, and years of AA and counselling, this has been the most amazing medication I've ever taken. I had zero hope it would work, given it didn't before (again, even tho I forgot to take it sometimes), but it has been a miracle. I mean a miracle. I can walk through the grocery store, see the liquor area, and not be have any desire to drink. I have a three particular triggers I cannot avoid, and have always relapsed due to them. However, I no longer feel the desire to drink now when experiencing them. I go to counselling and DBT, but nothing worked before. Do yourself a favor and try it."

Jennavz May 4, 2017

"I've been a binge drinker on and off for several years. "

LIttleun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

"Only 1 week on this 1 pill 3 times a day. I haven't drank anything, but I haven't been in any situations that I would drink yet. I'm a binge drinker. At home I don't drink at all. If I'm out at a casino or bowling I'll go nuts and forget what happens the next day."

ChuckF608 April 9, 2017

"I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others."

pbs1boone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

"Campral worked as prescribed for me, it gives me relief from the cravings, I didn't feel it was working until I realised that for the first time in years I had reached two weeks with out a drink, the habitual side of drinking is powerful and every time I was triggered it felt on par with a craving. My advice, keep with the Campral even if you feel its not working, give it time, let it do its thing, it will alleviate the cravings which will give you some breathing space to work on the habit itself, my synopsis, Campral will help with half the battle the rest needs counselling, will power and time. Side effects minimal for me, Campral is an excellent tool to stay on the road to recovery, one in my opinion not recommended enough."

Wintyr February 18, 2017

"Well I have been taking Campral for two weeks now I have not noted any difference I still drink the same amount of beer each day the only thing I have found is I tend to sleep longer in the morning and Find it hard to get motivated."

Crankey December 18, 2016

"For 20 years I depended on alcohol as a crutch whenever I was faced with a challenge. One day, after puking in the toilet for an hour, I decided enough is enough. I switched to heroin. That lasted for about 3 years until I was thrown in jail for driving under the influence. I decided that it was time to start giving my money to big pharmaceutical companies instead of drug dealers, and I was determined to stay clean. I'm a professor at a major university with various prestigious accolades. I was living a double life. Teaching students classical greek by day, needles and whiskey at night. Thank you Campral."

Dtalks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

"I wish that I had the same testimonial as everyone else, but I really have not seen any significant reduction in alcohol cravings. I was so hopeful that this would be the end of this miserable disease."

CL70 December 13, 2016

"Recommended dosage was too high for me. I had severe side effects."

Sophiejake199 December 7, 2016