User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Campral Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Campral to treat Alcohol Dependence

"I started taking campral 5 weeks ago (with some Valium for first week or so to help with withdrawal). So far I haven't had a drink and for the first time ever have not had to struggle relentlessly to stay sober. The first week was a bit rocky but nowhere as difficult as the many times before I have tried (unsuccessfully) to quit. I have not been thinking about alcohol all the time nor having to "talk myself down" from buying any as I haven't had major cravings which is amazing! After doing some research I asked my doctor to include baclofen a couple of weeks ago. It is apparently showing some promise for anticraving. It also seems to help me stay calm/ less anxious. Very grateful for these meds and wish I had known about them before."

Arowan (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am just checking in again. I started campral and naltrexone last fall after drinking for years, failing the traditional in-patient treatment/AA way...... I am now nearly 10 months without a drink. I don't really crave alcohol. Occasionally a stressful situation will come up and I will think about drinking, but that passes quickly because I just don't have the cravings or desire. My life is so fulfilling. It's not without it's challenges, which is why I have regular counselling in order to recognize and deal with what issues I let alcohol take care of. I truly do wake up thankful for this relief."

pbs1boone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this before and it works. The thing is if you take this for a week, then you slip in a drink...you will not feel that intoxication that you crave and are addicted to. This drug also keeps a person from feeling the euphoria associated with opioids."

WineAddict (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was immediately put on the suggested 333mg x2 tabs-three times a day ..as soon as I started my community Detox; which included Librium. It is early days here BUT the change in me is enormous. I drank since 20...a "binge drinker" or so I thought!!. I was unable to Stop. I'm Lucky to be alive . Once a car I was in went over a precipice but still I craved the alcohol. The craving was pure hell. Now at 56-I feel finally freed out a prison of craving something that would have killed me . THANK YOU CAMPRAL. People In AA had given up on me and I'd given up too...till Campral. "

Happy and Free (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely amazing I am 60 and been a heavy drinker all my life At least one to one and a half bottles of wine per nite Two or three bottles per day on a weekend plus beer or anything else if I was out After I started taking this I noticed the difference the very next day Within a few days I was having alcohol free days Within 3 weeks I was going for a week or more without a drink but started drinking a lot of mineral water At 6 weeks I was not even thinking about alcohol After 4 mths I stopped the tablets At six mths I have no craving at all If I am out with friends I will have a red wine occasionally and stop ( could not do this previously )might have a red once every 10 days or so but am completely in control I am still absolutely astounded how well they worked for me"

A1111 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its helping me NOT to eat"

Dace (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My partner has been a heavy drinker for over 5 years now, and within the last 12 months it officially began to get out of control, leading him into the hospital 3 times for an acute attack of pancreatitis. It got to the point where I was going to leave him cause he just wouldn't stop. He also lost his license from drink driving and almost went to jail because of it. It got up to him drinking 700ml-1lt of scotch every day AND going out on top of it before he decided he wanted help. At first he promised me he could ween himself off on his own (don't they all), and obviously he wasn't successful. So his doctor put him on Campral. It has been 9 days now and he has had 1 beer with dinner. He says he just doesn't have the desire to drink anymore."

Mange87 May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr prescribed this medication at my request and it has helped me considerably. I used to drink every day around that "happy hour" time. I would drink hard alcohol of my choice for that week. I drank about 6-8 shot per night. I have been on Campral a week shy of two months. I have drank on two occasions but did not have the urge to drink it was a matter of just wanting a drink and seeing how Campral will work after the fact. I did not feel the urge to keep drinking the days after I drank on these two occasions. This medication works wonders for me and my family. They have me back. I recommend you try it out. I feel no side affects taking Campral. I can't even tell I have added this medication to my daily meds. Kim"

KimmyBelle May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been relapsing since I started drinking 10 years ago. I tried Campral, but didn't bother to take it as prescribed, often forgetting. After my 3rd rehab, and years of AA and counselling, this has been the most amazing medication I've ever taken. I had zero hope it would work, given it didn't before (again, even tho I forgot to take it sometimes), but it has been a miracle. I mean a miracle. I can walk through the grocery store, see the liquor area, and not be have any desire to drink. I have a three particular triggers I cannot avoid, and have always relapsed due to them. However, I no longer feel the desire to drink now when experiencing them. I go to counselling and DBT, but nothing worked before. Do yourself a favor and try it."

Jennavz May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been a binge drinker on and off for several years. "

LIttleun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only 1 week on this 1 pill 3 times a day. I haven't drank anything, but I haven't been in any situations that I would drink yet. I'm a binge drinker. At home I don't drink at all. If I'm out at a casino or bowling I'll go nuts and forget what happens the next day."

ChuckF608 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others."

pbs1boone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Campral worked as prescribed for me, it gives me relief from the cravings, I didn't feel it was working until I realised that for the first time in years I had reached two weeks with out a drink, the habitual side of drinking is powerful and every time I was triggered it felt on par with a craving. My advice, keep with the Campral even if you feel its not working, give it time, let it do its thing, it will alleviate the cravings which will give you some breathing space to work on the habit itself, my synopsis, Campral will help with half the battle the rest needs counselling, will power and time. Side effects minimal for me, Campral is an excellent tool to stay on the road to recovery, one in my opinion not recommended enough."

Wintyr February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I have been taking Campral for two weeks now I have not noted any difference I still drink the same amount of beer each day the only thing I have found is I tend to sleep longer in the morning and Find it hard to get motivated."

Crankey December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For 20 years I depended on alcohol as a crutch whenever I was faced with a challenge. One day, after puking in the toilet for an hour, I decided enough is enough. I switched to heroin. That lasted for about 3 years until I was thrown in jail for driving under the influence. I decided that it was time to start giving my money to big pharmaceutical companies instead of drug dealers, and I was determined to stay clean. I'm a professor at a major university with various prestigious accolades. I was living a double life. Teaching students classical greek by day, needles and whiskey at night. Thank you Campral."

Dtalks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish that I had the same testimonial as everyone else, but I really have not seen any significant reduction in alcohol cravings. I was so hopeful that this would be the end of this miserable disease."

CL70 December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recommended dosage was too high for me. I had severe side effects."

Sophiejake199 December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 years and still don't know why I began abusing alcohol. I started taking Campral a week ago and have had absolutely no cravings or desire to drink. I asked my MD what she recommended to help and Capral was her solution. I can not believe how effective or fast it worked. I have had no side effects at all other than a loss of appetite."

Captain M (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been a functioning alcoholic for 15 years and started this drug a few weeks ago. So far, combined with venlafaxine 75 and mirtazapine 30, I feel quite good and hopeful for the future. Alcohol craving is virtually zero currently. I would love, if anyone comes back to this thread after a previous review, to follow up on how they are now, vs how they were when they first started taking it. For me personally, it seems to be working, but I am very curious about the so called placebo effect. Any thoughts?"

Jaysoft7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is amazing! I've battled depression & anxiety all my adult life (30 years). I used alcohol periodically to self medicate and could & would stop in the past. I was drinking a 5th of vodka nightly for over a year & was unable to stop due to withdrawals. I reached a point where I knew I needed help. My liver enzymes were consistently elevated, I was extremely overweight, & the depression & anxiety had grown so severe that I felt suicidal. After a 3 week tapering off using Librium, I was still craving alcohol. But after the 1st day of taking Campral, I have yet to crave alcohol. Its been 2 weeks...l've walked every day and lost 12 lbs. Campral combined w/counseling and support; feeling healthier and hopeful than ever!"

Hjg3rd (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've abused alcohol over 15yrs and it was a major factor in my divorce. I drank a 5th of vodka everyday. I finally realized the damage that alcoholism had done to my personal life. I tried Naltrexone, counselling, etc. but I'd relapse. After seeing my frustration, my psychiatrist prescribed Campral, my cravings diminished then stopped within 20min after my 1st dose. For the 1st time, I felt in control. I went home and poured $250 of vodka down the sink. This medication has changed my life dramatically and it gets better everyday. Feeling the cravings leave was absolutely amazing. I'll take this the rest of my life if have to."

Gamer21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Battled booze for 25 years and had some times of sobriety because always went back to quiet that craving - will power was not enough. After taking my first dose of Campral, I felt better than I had in years! The craving disappeared and the oppression in my head that kept telling me to take a shot also disappeared! I wish I had known about this drug years ago. The craving was a real thing and I discovered the years of drinking had actually altered the chemistry of my brain. Campral fixed that. I have been sober for 3 months with NO desire to drink. I will take this as long as needed. Original price was $220 a month but now down to $53 a month. The website goodRX.com gives the best prices - regardless of insurance. Miracle Drug! Highly recomm"

COSoccerMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"ive been taking campral for 3 years off and on i keep drinking for the first week then i just dont want it anymore and if i do have a drink i lose intrest right away like in 3 beers just dont want the booze but theres a catch as soon as i stop taking the pills the cravings come back might have to take the stuff for life but its better than being in the hospital all the time"

loggerdude (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!"

Vodka no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've battled with booze for 20 years ten years ago started taking revia was taking it wrong started drinking than took the pill felt weird as hell quit/ next time take naltrexone monday though thursday no drinking get tanked on weekends lasted 3 months/ had 4 captain and cokes had my son in car decided to race aferrari 110 mph in a 30 mph zone hated myself. spent $ 1200 got a shot of vivitrol stayed sober for 34 days really worked started back easy got up to a handle every 3 days was outta control went to detox .day i got out had campral in medicine cabinet take 2 pills in morning 2 pills at 5pm 2,5 mg valium and 5mg valium at 9pm been sober for four months lost 25 pounds everybody notices the difference trust me this really works and its easy"

stubborn as hell July 21, 2016