User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Campral Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Campral to treat Alcohol Dependence

"Its helping me NOT to eat"

Dace (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr prescribed this medication at my request and it has helped me considerably. I used to drink every day around that "happy hour" time. I would drink hard alcohol of my choice for that week. I drank about 6-8 shot per night. I have been on Campral a week shy of two months. I have drank on two occasions but did not have the urge to drink it was a matter of just wanting a drink and seeing how Campral will work after the fact. I did not feel the urge to keep drinking the days after I drank on these two occasions. This medication works wonders for me and my family. They have me back. I recommend you try it out. I feel no side affects taking Campral. I can't even tell I have added this medication to my daily meds. Kim"

KimmyBelle May 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been relapsing since I started drinking 10 years ago. I tried Campral, but didn't bother to take it as prescribed, often forgetting. After my 3rd rehab, and years of AA and counselling, this has been the most amazing medication I've ever taken. I had zero hope it would work, given it didn't before (again, even tho I forgot to take it sometimes), but it has been a miracle. I mean a miracle. I can walk through the grocery store, see the liquor area, and not be have any desire to drink. I have a three particular triggers I cannot avoid, and have always relapsed due to them. However, I no longer feel the desire to drink now when experiencing them. I go to counselling and DBT, but nothing worked before. Do yourself a favor and try it."

Jennavz May 4, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been a binge drinker on and off for several years. "

LIttleun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only 1 week on this 1 pill 3 times a day. I haven't drank anything, but I haven't been in any situations that I would drink yet. I'm a binge drinker. At home I don't drink at all. If I'm out at a casino or bowling I'll go nuts and forget what happens the next day."

ChuckF608 April 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others."

pbs1boone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Campral worked as prescribed for me, it gives me relief from the cravings, I didn't feel it was working until I realised that for the first time in years I had reached two weeks with out a drink, the habitual side of drinking is powerful and every time I was triggered it felt on par with a craving. My advice, keep with the Campral even if you feel its not working, give it time, let it do its thing, it will alleviate the cravings which will give you some breathing space to work on the habit itself, my synopsis, Campral will help with half the battle the rest needs counselling, will power and time. Side effects minimal for me, Campral is an excellent tool to stay on the road to recovery, one in my opinion not recommended enough."

Wintyr February 18, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I have been taking Campral for two weeks now I have not noted any difference I still drink the same amount of beer each day the only thing I have found is I tend to sleep longer in the morning and Find it hard to get motivated."

Crankey December 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For 20 years I depended on alcohol as a crutch whenever I was faced with a challenge. One day, after puking in the toilet for an hour, I decided enough is enough. I switched to heroin. That lasted for about 3 years until I was thrown in jail for driving under the influence. I decided that it was time to start giving my money to big pharmaceutical companies instead of drug dealers, and I was determined to stay clean. I'm a professor at a major university with various prestigious accolades. I was living a double life. Teaching students classical greek by day, needles and whiskey at night. Thank you Campral."

Dtalks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish that I had the same testimonial as everyone else, but I really have not seen any significant reduction in alcohol cravings. I was so hopeful that this would be the end of this miserable disease."

CL70 December 13, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Recommended dosage was too high for me. I had severe side effects."

Sophiejake199 December 7, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 years and still don't know why I began abusing alcohol. I started taking Campral a week ago and have had absolutely no cravings or desire to drink. I asked my MD what she recommended to help and Capral was her solution. I can not believe how effective or fast it worked. I have had no side effects at all other than a loss of appetite."

Captain M (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been a functioning alcoholic for 15 years and started this drug a few weeks ago. So far, combined with venlafaxine 75 and mirtazapine 30, I feel quite good and hopeful for the future. Alcohol craving is virtually zero currently. I would love, if anyone comes back to this thread after a previous review, to follow up on how they are now, vs how they were when they first started taking it. For me personally, it seems to be working, but I am very curious about the so called placebo effect. Any thoughts?"

Jaysoft7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is amazing! I've battled depression & anxiety all my adult life (30 years). I used alcohol periodically to self medicate and could & would stop in the past. I was drinking a 5th of vodka nightly for over a year & was unable to stop due to withdrawals. I reached a point where I knew I needed help. My liver enzymes were consistently elevated, I was extremely overweight, & the depression & anxiety had grown so severe that I felt suicidal. After a 3 week tapering off using Librium, I was still craving alcohol. But after the 1st day of taking Campral, I have yet to crave alcohol. Its been 2 weeks...l've walked every day and lost 12 lbs. Campral combined w/counseling and support; feeling healthier and hopeful than ever!"

Hjg3rd (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've abused alcohol over 15yrs and it was a major factor in my divorce. I drank a 5th of vodka everyday. I finally realized the damage that alcoholism had done to my personal life. I tried Naltrexone, counselling, etc. but I'd relapse. After seeing my frustration, my psychiatrist prescribed Campral, my cravings diminished then stopped within 20min after my 1st dose. For the 1st time, I felt in control. I went home and poured $250 of vodka down the sink. This medication has changed my life dramatically and it gets better everyday. Feeling the cravings leave was absolutely amazing. I'll take this the rest of my life if have to."

Gamer21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Battled booze for 25 years and had some times of sobriety because always went back to quiet that craving - will power was not enough. After taking my first dose of Campral, I felt better than I had in years! The craving disappeared and the oppression in my head that kept telling me to take a shot also disappeared! I wish I had known about this drug years ago. The craving was a real thing and I discovered the years of drinking had actually altered the chemistry of my brain. Campral fixed that. I have been sober for 3 months with NO desire to drink. I will take this as long as needed. Original price was $220 a month but now down to $53 a month. The website goodRX.com gives the best prices - regardless of insurance. Miracle Drug! Highly recomm"

COSoccerMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"ive been taking campral for 3 years off and on i keep drinking for the first week then i just dont want it anymore and if i do have a drink i lose intrest right away like in 3 beers just dont want the booze but theres a catch as soon as i stop taking the pills the cravings come back might have to take the stuff for life but its better than being in the hospital all the time"

loggerdude (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!"

Vodka no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've battled with booze for 20 years ten years ago started taking revia was taking it wrong started drinking than took the pill felt weird as hell quit/ next time take naltrexone monday though thursday no drinking get tanked on weekends lasted 3 months/ had 4 captain and cokes had my son in car decided to race aferrari 110 mph in a 30 mph zone hated myself. spent $ 1200 got a shot of vivitrol stayed sober for 34 days really worked started back easy got up to a handle every 3 days was outta control went to detox .day i got out had campral in medicine cabinet take 2 pills in morning 2 pills at 5pm 2,5 mg valium and 5mg valium at 9pm been sober for four months lost 25 pounds everybody notices the difference trust me this really works and its easy"

stubborn as hell July 21, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was Beer dependant for 7 years,my consumption was getting to a carton every 2 days.I started Campral on the advise of my councillor,worked wonderfully.I found myself going whole afternoons without the thought of a beer,my life turned around.Then,after 2 months, I went to a new doctor for some bloods & general health check,my B/P was down,and although some damage through excessive drinking,all could be repaired.Then the kicker came,she told me Campral was a placebo.It changed my whole perspective and I started drinking again,just a 6 pack every night.I know this will get out of control quickly,I want to start Campral again,but I'm afraid the seed has been laid."

miss lippy July 17, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being a heavy drinker for 20 years my life was running out of control. AA didn't work for me I tried 1 on 1 counselling. Didn't help, I'd relapse after two weeks. Finally did my own research and suggested campral to my doc. He contacted my counsellor and we began it July 2015. I wish I'd found this years ago! It seemed to work immediately, no cravings or desire to drink. Did have bad diarrhoea for first six weeks, so push through it, it's worth it. Just gone to my gp for my final script, and will celebrate my first year sober in July 2016! My gp also said the counsellor didn't think I could do it, and my gp is so happy he's going to contact her and tell her about my success. When your at rock bottom give it a go! It's saved my life!"

Vodka no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Since taking campral I have had no cravings for alcohol"

Wojo 79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this now for just over 3 weeks and I can honestly say I have not had 1 single craving it is a miricle drug that I had never heard I till I was asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted to try it. The 1 down side to it for me is I have a very bad memory now I yak it amd was told about the side affects and they said memory function problems was the most seriois side affect but do you know what I don't care about the memory problems cos I have got my life back and I can as I have NEVER been happier then I am now. The stuff is amazing"

don't drink May 21, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very positive only 5 days into the 3 capsules per day I have not felt myself and since I stopped drinking 4 years ago after drinking for 20 years very heavily. Since then I have had a relapse around about every 4 months. Since taking this I feel much more, less anxious and more positive about life and feel more switched on and welcoming with phone conversations and also in person. Did I save the best for last? Yes I have zero cravings !!! The feeling of this reminds me of my first drink but with no negative at the end of it. Highly recommended and as other reviews on here have said I'm sure this drug has the potential to close down many rehab facilities."

Chrisinoz (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Campral about 10 days and this drug does work..really work..zero cravings. I was drinking a liter of Vodka a day. I was in rehabs from August 2015 to February 2016 (and relapsed when I got out) and not one of the psychiatrist at the rehabs mentioned Campral.The reason they don't is because they know it works and just want to take your money to pay for the rehab because if you don't they are out of a job. Save your money on rehabs and ask your doc for Campral instead. I am 43 years old and have been an alcoholic a majority of my adult life. I feel like I have my life back and everyone sees a change in me and best of all I do too! The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know about this drug years ago,but glad i do now."

Sonja 2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016