User Reviews for Vivitrol to treat Alcohol Dependence

Vivitrol has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings for the treatment of Alcohol Dependence. 78% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Vivitrol Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Vivitrol

Anonymous March 30, 2020

“Hi, I'm a 40 year old that has been a drinker since age 13. I've drank hard liquor, malted liquor, beer, anything alcoholic. I've used drugs in the past, a lot, however booze is always my gas to get the motor going. The only times I did not drink was when either I was in prison, unsuccessfully rehab stays, or detoxes. Other than that, I was drinking. I wanted to try this injection, because I had tried naltrexone pill form in the past and I got massive migraines from it. Needless to say I been out of prison and off parole for 7 years, got my own apartment but kept drinking, and getting into scuffles without police in the middle. I drank my last drink on a Monday, and called to ask for this shot Tuesday. I got it And the rest is history. I had no symptoms. No withdrawals, no side effects, no bad dreams, nothing but the good things that came with it. Sobriety, and free of cravings, free of thoughts, free of desires.”

Cherrypie June 16, 2019

“I have struggled with alcohol for 15 years. Major depression & severe anxiety. Nothing took the craving away. I am surrounded by alcoholics & my husband is an alcoholic. I got a promotion at work and one morning I went to work and thought I was going to die. I couldn't take it anymore & told them I had to go to the hospital. I detoxed at a great facility. They were incredible. They saved my life. I had previously been asked if I wanted the vivitrol shot & I declined. This time I begged for the shot. Best decision I ever made! I got my 4th shot last week. I have no cravings. I have mental clarity. I'm off antidepressants. I have lost 27 pounds. Side effects...my body aches but I'll take it. I have no appetite so when I do eat. I eat healthy. Except for chocolate. I am extremely grateful for Vivitrol. I know it has saved my life. I actually died on my birthday a couple years ago from severe alcohol withdrawal & critically low potassium. Didn't stop me from drinking again. Vivitrol did.”

Hawkeye October 21, 2019

“I have been sober 2 months with my first VIVITROL shot! Alcohol was my poison. Nothing could stop me from going to any convenience store to buy my daily 24 pack. Since the first day, ALL of my cravings have disappeared! I have " debated" with myself to "test" this injection, however, I immediately lost all interest. No explanation other than that! Just zero interest. After 30 years of this poison - poof!! Just like that! If you struggle with addictions of all sorts, VIVITROL is your answer!! No joke! It works!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2019

“Imagine your favorite food. Let's say it's pizza. Now you're at your favorite restaurant that serves pizza just the way you like it. But something is different and you're just not in the mood for pizza so you order something else. That's exactly what Vivitrol is like. You can think about drinking but you're just really not in the mood for it. Also if you're an alcoholic you've probably been prescribed an SSRI by now and with those it takes weeks to start working but Vivitrol is pretty immediate as in it only takes maybe an hour two to become really effective. If you're reading this you've probably tried all the unless things out there and it just can't reach that itch. Vivitrol is about as close to a magic shot as you're going to get for alcohol problems”

GRATEFUL... November 27, 2015

“After battling the bottle for 30 years I am so Grateful that I found this. I tried everything from AA to SMART Recovery and to be honest while each program has it's good points they did not take away that urge to drink. This did. Instantly. Vivitrol has really been a blessing because it not only blocks the urge to use but it goes the extra step of blocking the high if you do drink I was just a Garden variety alcoholic. I drank around the clock. I would even drink in the shower. The funny thing is I never bought into the disease model even while I was sober for years at a stretch. I would eventually pick up a drink because the urge, that voice, the Beast was always there. Not anymore! Vivitrol stopped the brain imbalance that MADE me drink.”

Hollister resident · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2015

“After partying almost 30 years in a successful, trouble free life, I began taking antabuse pills a few years ago without a recovery program. I was told about vivitrol and it interested me in quitting my prescription hydrocodone, benzo, and drinking. My 1st shot was 10 days ago and it does make your mind content. I can tell the drug is wrapped around my receptors. If I where to attempt to take a drink....it feels like I already had one. Not taking pills is no big deal either. I still take a sleep aid at night and Aleve or Ibuprofen for anything else. I. Am now experiencing eating and sleeping like I've seen normal people do all my life. A spiritual feeling should come along with that for those of you who are willing to make a change.”

Sleann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2020

“Vivitrol has helped me maintain sobriety for the longest time ever since I started drinking about 5 years ago. Not one craving! However... I have developed bad acne on my back and neck areas. But the side effects don't outweigh the benefits so I choose acne over alcohol. :-)”

Yvette · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

“It's a blessing and a miracle!! I have been drinking 35 years arrested 18 times ,homeless, raped, baker acted (involuntary commitment), lost dogs, almost died of alcohol poison. None out that stopped me! Vivitrol is the only thing that has taken all cravings away. Good luck to you all.”

Mendee86 March 24, 2017

“I started going to a clinic to get extra help on top of AA. My alcohol use had gotten to a very, very dangerous level. I would flirt with sobriety through AA, getting almost to 30 days, then a bad craving would hit and I couldn't resist. Then I found out about vivitrol. After my first shot it cut my cravings down ten fold. Now 4 shots in I rarely have a craving and when I do it's manageable. This has allowed me to concentrate on my recovery without also battling cravings. I'm 95 days sober today and so grateful.”

DSC · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2018

“I'm 39 and been drinking practically daily for 25 years. Mostly just beer but it got to the point where 15 beers a night was the norm. Wife and I decided to quit and she did cold turkey (of course) but I didn't go so easy. My med doctor recommended Vivitrol and I thought "what the hell". Took a shot in the butt that day and when I left I decided to test it. Drank as normal but magically the pleasure of drinking just wasn't there. I would physically feel the effects but it was not pleasant and the hangover as if I were in high school. That was the last time I drank...nearly two weeks ago. Cravings are very sparse and I'm seeing the world differently. I feel better, people say I look better, and my social anxiety doesn't seem anywhere near what it used to be. Essentially I just feel more confident. This is a miracle drug at this point as I haven't been sober this long since before I was allowed to drive. Good luck to you all.”

kyle5050 November 9, 2011

“I just received my second Vivitrol shot. I am so glad that I did. It has helped curve my cravings and have had no side effects. I've been a heavy drinker for 16 years and have struggled with relapsing for a few years. I know this isn't a cure and this is a daily disease that should never be put on the back burner but not having the cravings where the only thing I can think about is that next drink helps a ton. To anyone that is thinking about trying Vivitrol I would say stop thinking about it and do it.”

Tj March 19, 2020

“I’m on day 5 of Vivtrol My vision has been blurry. I haven’t been able to stay awake very much . Yesterday I was stumbling. The stumbling part has gone away I’m starting to be able to see straight. I’m still tired. But I’ve been up all day. My doctor said the side effects will pass with in the next couple of days. Well worth a week of discomfort. I have no cravings for alcohol at all”

jackrice1947 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2015

“I took my 1st Vivitrol shot around 9/10/14, 2nd -3rd-4th-and the fifth shot 01/04/15. By injection 30 days apart. I can honestly tell you that I have not had any cravings for alcohol since the very 1st day of shot. I can personally tell you that I have not had any side effects. Some people may have but I have not. I now speak at my rehab center (Clarity) where I was at. I'm a firm believer in Vivitrol. Saved my life. I will take it for a year.”

C.L. · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2019

“This Vivitrol shot has literally saved my life, if only it had been available 10 years sooner, I have almost 2 years sober now with no cravings what so ever, it's like it just shut the alcohol switch off in my brain, only side effects is I have on a couple of occasions I've noticed some slight dizziness.”

Marie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2021

“Long story short, I was in a downward spiral, suicidal, I was drinking a handle of vodka every two days. I had tried everything to quit. I did 30 day in patient rehab where I started Naltrexone. Switched to Vivitrol right before I left rehab and continued the shots for a total of 8 months. Fast forward I am over 2 and a half years sober. Life is AMAZING. I wake up every day so glad to be sober. I don’t miss drinking, I don’t think about it, I never ever crave it, EVER. It is like my brain was reset to someone who never ever drank. You could not pay me a million dollars to take a drink now. I did not do AA, or any kind of support other than self help and using the tools that I learned in rehab and family support. Everyone has a different journey, but if you truly in your heart have zero desire to drink then all the rest of that stuff isn’t necessary in my opinion/in my case. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to take Vivitrol. Good luck.”

Jamie September 22, 2019

“Vivitrol injection on 9.19.2019. Can you drink? You can, but it doesn’t feel good. We know alcohol is a depressant. I always enjoyed the euphoria and was too drunk to recall the depression. Drinking now makes me feel heavy and dull and a bit nauseated. I failed the oral dosage because an hour before drinking I was salivating for the buzz! Now, I only have to be strong once a month while my resolve is strong. Now I CAN DRINK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON if I want. I’ve been sleeping long hours of good sleep. I’d been living on vodka/smoothies/vodka smoothies and whatever junk was deliverable after I was intoxicated. I’m eating better now. I have an 8:30am tomorrow. Sucks, but I won’t have a towel nearby for 6am vomiting. I also won’t be up for a morning run, but I will awaken unafraid to check my texts.”

Palanaki March 9, 2019

“I've struggled with alcoholism for 10 years. Vivitrol was suggested before but I couldn't afford it. I was able to find a clinic that got a federal grant for Vivitrol. The first 4 - 5 days I was tired, leg cramps up thru my buttocks (felt like the flu), hip and ankle pain, irritable, sad, nauseous. Side effects eventually went away after 1 week. Cravings have been minimal to non existent. Yesterday I was irritable; had a bad day at work which triggered me. Decided what the hell and see if the drug really did take away that feel good feeling. I drank about half the amount I usually do and it didn't do anything other than the physical side effects. I ended up pouring the rest out and went to bed. This is a miracle! I am so grateful! Looking forward to continue using it for this year while I complete my 12 steps in the AA program so I will not only be physically healthy, but mentally and spiritually too! THANK YOU VIVITROL AND THANK YOU TO MY CLINIC AND GRANT MONEY!”

Annngggell · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2017

“I have been on the vivitrol since November 2016 I have remained sober for 5 months. The urge to drink went away and it felt good knowing that even if I drank on the shot I wouldn't feel the warm fuzzy feeling that I was so addicted to. So recently I did drink and I feel so terrible shakes.. Sick to my stomachs. Alcohol withdrawal is terrible and it really sucks. Now I know why I love feeling sober. Vivitrol had not only kept me sober it truly saved my life because I know that I have control of my life. I would recommend this to Anyone who has a problem with alcohol. It truly takes the cravings away. And helps you find yourself.”

angeleeorivee · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2021

“I’ve been taking the pill for about a week now & I still have minor cravings. I’ve been an alcoholic since I was 17, I’m 19 now. I drank everyday, lost jobs, lost friends & family. I called alcohol my best friend, she helped me deal with everything although putting me into risky situations. & now I see how much damage the substance has done, I’m glad I got put on this med after I was hospitalized for a drunken suicide attempt. Although it’s made everything & I mean everything I used to enjoy seem less enjoyable, I don’t mind it. Especially eating cause I’m overweight lol.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

“Just received my second shot of Vivitrol today. I can't really pinpoint any side effects except loss of appetite... so if losing weight is a "side effect", sign me up! Helps with cravings, especially when paired with AA meetings and a mind set on sobriety. I would definitely recommend this for anybody having difficulty with alcoholism.”

Sandy Marie October 8, 2019

“1st shot of Vivitrol on 9.9.19 & I immediately tried to test it but didn’t go hardcore. I did feel motivated to clean and care about responsibilities more than usual. Within a few days I was drinking heavy again & it was BAD. I suggest taking Antibuse before you even leave the office & keep taking it for at least a week so drinking is not an option. On 9.23.19 I met with my therapist and our talk helped but I still wanted to drink. Today, 10.07.19 I had my second shot. I was determined to not drink for a week to see the results and somehow ended up at an AA meeting on a whim. There I met a woman that talked to me for 3 hrs after the meeting where she called me out on my BS in a way only another alcoholic can. My recommendation: Vivitrol shot, Antibuse at first, a therapist you trust and respect (good luck, It’s a challenge), & AA meetings. Vivitrol is not a miracle. It is one ingredient in a recipe. Alone it’s like eating plain flour and expecting it to taste like cookies and cake.”

Twaud August 7, 2011

“I am looking forward to my second injection. The obsession of taking a drink has been diminished significantly. I am motivated and happy. I attend 12 step meetings and do everything suggested from the fellowship however, this medication has taken me to the next level in my sobriety. It is merely a band aid to my disease and support is still extremely important. I recommend this medication to any chronic alcoholic who has a problem staying sober.”

Pamelas555 May 10, 2008

“I am a chronic alcohol relapser and found the injection helpful. Not only mentally, is it a deterrent. It definitely curbs the "feeling" found in a drink because I did test it. The second shot only makes it more potent and you get better with time. Combined with meetings everyday, and the shot I have a better chance at an alcohol free life.”

Nick March 1, 2020

“Hi everyone my name is Nick I'm 25 years old about to be 26, I have struggled with Heroin addiction and alcoholism and right now I'm on parole in the state of New Jersey. I keep trying to find every way possible to get over and get high or drunk anyway possible and pass my drug test I just want everyone to know that I am an absolute idiot and it sucks because sometimes I feel like there's no other escape for me and I just want to drink or do drugs but I definitely can't get away with doing drugs. Anyway I figured let me take the Vivitrol shot and maybe I can still drink on it if you're wondering what it is like to drink on Vivitrol just saying my body feels drunk but my mind is absolutely miserable and I wake up in the middle of night feeling like someone stuck a needle full of meth in my neck and it's so hard to get back to sleep - very poor choice of mine”

Remy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

“I have been on Naltrexone and more recently Vivitrol for 8 months now. I was a heavy opiate user and occasional drinker, having tried Methadone and Suboxone in the past I knew that options just led to dependence on another drug so after my latest relapse I got on it. I am not going to lie the first week was hard, that's mostly my fault because they told me I had to stay sober for a full week before taking it and I didn't. But now, after having time to adjust I gotta say it is a lifesaver for me. I have gotten acne on my back and even on my scalp which I have heard others say happened to them but other than that zero side effects so far. If you have an opiate addiction and you want guaranteed results TAKE THIS MEDICATION, I cannot stress enough how much this has saved my life. I have no cravings and no overwhelming urge to get high.”

Learn more about Alcohol Dependence