User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

"UK user H and Crack for 10 years on and off. PLEASE acknowledge an opiate life will mask all your aches and pains AND the longer addiction the longer the payback. 1000,000 % you'll go nowhere continuing on subs, meth or gear. Had a 2 month implant of naltrexone and getting another 9 months on Tuesday.... Your life will ONLY GET WORSE otherwise. MY recommendation is to go for the naltrexone and read this again.... and again.... and again...... GOOD LUCK."

DaveyDee (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Before starting Vivitrol 7 months ago I had been a heroin addict for a couple of years. If you're clean for 10-14 days before you get your first shot I can almost guarantee you won't have any horror-story adverse reactions. This drug saved my life; it took the choice out of my hands, forcing my mind to move on and buying me the time I needed to get my life together. People are depressed and all because they can't get over not being able to use, that's not a side effect of the drug it's a personal problem. I didn't experience a single side effect aside from some injection site soreness for 2-3 days after each shot - a small price to pay. If you need this and can get it, do it."

Ronald P. McDonald (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I’ve been on vivitrol for 2.5 years an it saved my life! I cheated my way into it by getting the pill first and after 4 years of heroin use it sent me straight into withdrawal but in three days got my shot and on the 4th day I felt like a new man! No cravings no side effects and you can drink on it there is an additive they put in for alcoholics! I advise every opiate addict to seek help an get this shot it is life Saving!! Oh and as bad as this sounds I quit methadone to get back on dope soo my withdrawals were not at severe! It worked!"

Drizzy24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been on vivitrol for a month with no side effects whatsoever. A little sore at injection site for about 24 hours but really not bad at all. l don't believe naltrexone is what makes people feel like crap, it's really just withdrawal symptoms. Please do your research, have a support system, and don't let people scare you out of trying recovery! Good luck to all-"

Jen1221 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prompted to take the Vivitrol shot when I was in drug court I was already 6 months clean off heroin but I had an alcohol relapse and I was a reason why I was prompted to take it now the shot hurt anything for four weeks and I have really bad issues with sleeping. I lost all interest in everything. No sex no kids nothing was peaking my interest. It wasn't until I graduated and 6 months after that I started feeling things and finding hot in life. But then again I relapsed so go figure."

Steveo87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Naltrexone is an opiate blocker/craving reducer. It is not a cure. Everyone on here saying they got violently sick I don't understand why these doctors didn't take the right precautions. If you're on extended opiates bup, methadone. Your suppose to wait 14 days. For normal opiates Heroin, Oxy ect... your suppose to wait 7-10 days. But everyones body is different so if you were a heavy heroin user you possibly could have to wait 2 weeks or on methadone for years then possibly longer. The reason it makes you so sick is it instantly removes all opiates from your receptors. I've personally been taking the pills for over a month and all it does is "reduce cravings" I still have them just not as often and as bad. Good Luck."

OpiateKing (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I just want to let everyone know Suboxone withdrawal can happen days after last dose. It's not the shot that makes you sick. As for feeling lethargic and lazy as well as everything else, Welcome to recovery. It can an take several months for your body to recover back to normal. That means having energy, good appetite, sleeping normally, regular bowel movements. And that can all happen even if your not on the vivitrol shot and just doing cold turkey. So please people do your research before you post information that could sway someone from taking this method of recovery. Because it could decide on if they live or die. And yes I am talking from experience."

Tom83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 120 mg a day of Percocets 4 over 5 years and I went to a Naltrexone program end I received an implant and it cured me I've been clean now for over 2 months and have no cravings.The public needs to know about this because the government and rehabs are all about making money. They give you another addictive drug to get off of, an addictive drug and then you have to get off of the drug that they give you . It is a vicious cycle that has to be stopped because there are other alternatives. The problem is insurance companies will not pay for this type of treatment, they will only pay for Rehab which they are in cahoots with and they both make millions of dollars and it is sickening that's why people need to speak up to the government"

Daddypop1234 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "People, if you are switching from methadone or buprenorphine (Suboxone) , do NOT get the shot right away. Both methadone and buprenorphine are long acting opiates. When a medical professional tells you that you need to stay clean for 5-7 days, they are speaking of short acting opiates. Heroin, OC, OP, OHC, and I'm sure the other codeine derivatives have a much shorter half-life (a measure of how long they stay in your body) than do methadone and buprenorphine. If you are trying to switch from one of the long acting opiates to the naltrexone shot, personally I would switch to a shorter acting opiate for two week, then stay clean off the for 4-5 days, and then get the shot. I understand this may not sit well with some people."

RussiaInMil (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "This shot is saving my life. The first 5 days after injection were difficult due to side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches) but they have since dissipated. I no longer feel any effects and have been clean from IV heroin for 29 days. I highly suggest this shot for anybody looking to stay off of opiates."

MyTherapistSaidSo (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm Planning to be put in 17 Days in residential treatment and follow it up with vivitrol injection. I just worry because I hear that it's incredibly painful, but I an only really trying to get away from the subs... I'm down to less than 6mg but I've been IV'ing them. I still wouldn't think my bupe dose is high enough to worry about after 15 - 17 days... A friend did tell me that if you are clean enough to be eligible for it, it will make you feel like a million bucks! I'm extremely hopeful, and was hoping for some insight and / or advice, but I believe this is an awesome chance to get my life back, even though I am afraid of the sword length rig they use to do it... I just hope it all goes as well as planned, or better... #VeryAnxiousNow"

DaBirdMan July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol has made me completely useless. I was taking methadone as prescribed every day for the last six years. I actually cut my dose in half the last 24 months. But, I decided to quit cold turkey to get on vivitrol. Now I am so miserable! I can only get myself to take a couple bites of food a day if I can keep it down. My head is constantly throbbing. I haven't slept more than two hours every night for at least a month. My body is so weak yet I'm constantly freezing and sweating. My hands shake all the time And the ringing in my ears is so loud I have a hard time hearing things sometimes. I find that I don't care about anything. I don't even want to be around my own son anymore. I am not surprised people get suicidal on this drug."

Jakwnwjxzak July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I had 10 months clean after being a heavy IV opioid user for years decided to stop on my last case which also prompted me to drug court. Well the judge for some reason put me on vivitrol even with all the clean time and program compliance. To summarise I had planned to exercise and live healthy and that is what was pushing me to stay clean, After getting the shot I felt empty confused, depressed, no drive, no motivation, no hunger, crippled libido, didn't care much about music movies or anything for that matter, excercising was torture. I asked the doctor if it would mess with my endogenous reward system twice and both times he evaded my question, seek recovery with healthy means develop skills to stay clean don't go be a lab rat for big pharma..go to inpatient"

G5444666 June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor had me take this medication, saying it worked as a good pain med for one of her patients. Knowing I was on pain medication methadone, she wrote the script. 45 minutes after taking naltrexone. I started convulsing, sweating, was taken to ER, the last thing I remember was loosing my bowels. I woke up in ICU 2 days later. I have filed a complaint with the proper authorities. I have osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis. I've had one hip replaced. After 10 yrs of doctors and the medical association, I'm scared to trust anyone."

WokeinICU (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Taken the Vivitrol Shot for 6 months. It's amazing! I would be dead without it. I was addicted to Heroin for years and nearly died several times. Why is this drug not encouraged for others. It's rarely used? It saved my life."

IV Heroin User (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Hello, I am coming off of suboxone. It has been 24 hours since the shot was administered. I feel great. Now rewind... at 1 pm I got the shot. By 2pm the withdrawals kicked in. I wasn't vomiting or anything but was very sleepy and dizzy. I went to bed. By 6 am the next morning I felt 60% better. I got up had a cup of coffee, and felt great. By 1pm (24 hours) I am about 90% percent better. I would just like to give people some encouragement. The reviews on here scared me as well. I tapered myself down before getting the shot...and I feel so far so good! It can be done! You do not have to sit home and withdrawal for weeks and even months. Everyone's body is different but I highly recommend this!"

Positive_Minds June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I had a choice between the suboxene which then I wouldn't be able to take my adderall or the vivitral which I can take with any meds. So of course I did the half pill test in the Dr's office and sat for 15 mins to see if I would have bad reaction. I was ok so then we went ahead and did the shot. I was excited to finally get this burden of the opiates that led to suboxene then stuck without knowing what to do. I'm done, don't want to live on this anymore...it's not living. I went in and did this shot and at first I freaked out when I got home like my body went into instant withdrawal . My body was spasming and I was freaked out. My cousin called 911 and they had given me 4 shots of ativan on top of two of my 2mg klonopin that I barely take."

Geeena (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Can anyone explain why the doctor at my local clinic was a completely disgusted with me for NOT wanting to receive the Vititrol injection? I'm not in trouble with the law, but I did get caught using Suboxone, which I have been off of for over two weeks. They said I would get to know this doc. Would talk to him. Tell him my story. Well, the nurses must have tipped him off. He was defensive right off the bat. Asking why I wouldn't think it a good idea. Then basically read a list of bullet points from his laptop on success rates and how without this i will almost certainly fail. Ive never felt like this. He had no other options but to go back on Suboxone. (Not gonna happen) He slammed his laptop and said we're done. ?????"

JEphro May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "This is my second time receiving the Vivtrol injection. It is very effective for Alcohol and Opiate dependence. I have had very little cravings for either drugs. My side effects were minimal. I highly recommend this drug for the disease of Addiction."

Grace/Mercy April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been a opiate user fir 15 years and yes they were prescribed and yes I still abused them. I first got off of oxycontin by using Suboxone which I bought off the streets. Sooo, I decided to try this miracle injection. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I don't know what's on this injection, but I've been sick for 5 days. I will wait for this drug to wear off and go back To the subs. Thanks for letting me vent"

Selma sur (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm on vivitrol and I have no side effects and I'm doing fabulous I have no desire to use I was an IV user for 13 years and vivitrol saving my life"

Alynnf April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "About to start"

Just looking (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had three days removed from Suboxone and Percocet and took my first pill last night which is been miserable since I'm hoping when I take the second one later this afternoon that it does not get worse since I will have my newborn for the night alone with me and then I'm due to receive the shot tomorrow since I already took one pill. So taking the second one shouldn't make me feel any worse is what I'm hoping I should have waited longer to have more clean time but this is what I had to do to keep my family intact, I am looking forward to see how the shot works with me I've wasted enough time and money over the years to know I can't do it anymore with a brand-new baby depending on me"

12yearswasted (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I recently went through a medical detox from heroin and after 6 days when my vitals showed I was opiate free I was administered the Vivitrol shot which is pretty deep and painful in itself. I experienced terrible symptoms like upset stomach, diarrhea, severe restlessness, muscle cramps and twitches, nausea, chills, fever, enlarged pupils, lazy eye, extreme irritableness, high anxiety, rapid heart rate, shakiness, and sleeplessness plus the sight where the shot was administered ached like an epidural. I ended up in the emergency room with an adverse reaction. I feel like death and can barely focus on my actual detox and life. Next month when this shot is hopefully out of my system I will not get it again! At least I'm off heroin!"

JTEreRiggs February 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible reaction to a drug, gave me chills, restless legs, anxiety, pain. Like opioid withdrawal, but I was using it after 7 day of abstinence."

be2 February 1, 2017