User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there."

TheHumanRace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!"

THighSoGrateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I received my 2nd shot yesterday. I've been a heavy opiate mostly heroin IV user for 13 years I was put in jail for 14 days to clean out for my 1st shot. Immediately after the shot I had no cravings. I was put on xanax for anxiety cuz its been super high. I have acne due to the shot. I get leg cramps. It saved my life"

Dbags1124 July 19, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "After 16 years of opioid and heroin addiction I had tried everything. Methadone for 3years and off and on suboxone for 8 or more years, i tried hard to get off suboxone and it was horrid withdrawal so I relapsed on heroin. When I knew I might die if I kept it up, I put myself into a detox and planed to leave after. Stayed for rehab and the vivitrol was suggested I went back and fourth with my decision because I still wanted to drink. Finally I decided to get the shot. Side Effects: muscle spasms, constant stretching that felt great, decreased appetite, weight loss. The interactions with my 3mgs of clozepam are hard to explain. It's a high definitely but not one I like to much. If I take Bental for the stomac cramps I get really dipped out"

Viva trolling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vicitrol saved my life. After going to rehab a few times, I was exposed to the option of getting the monthly vivitrol muscular injection. The first month I was on it I tried to use opiates just to test it and see if it worked and I felt nothing. After that experience I knew that this would be more helpful than any other method. I continued getting the shot until I found out I was pregnant. With over three years clean I can say with confidence that this shot is worth it if you are serious about changing your life. I am grateful every day for the second chance it help give me."

Jrabs July 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I started Vivitrol in January 2015 after getting an OUI Drugs & a heroin posession charge b/c knew I needed to stop using, but I didn't really want to. Between January and April I got my monthly shot but I still tried to use every now and then (but I couldn't get high). My insurance was cancled in May so I took the opportunity to get high. I ended up getting another OUI & spent a month in jail till my next court date. I went straight from court to my doctors office to get an injection and I've gotten 1 every 28 days since (07/15 - 07/16). I'm not sure how Vivitrol effected my cravings because my first time on it, the thought of giving up heroin was devastating to me. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted getting high. LOVE VIVITROL!!"

Mr Clean (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "7-13-16 will be my 4th injection I'm looking forward to it. I have had problems with opiates and alcohol threw out my life. Vivitrol has saved my life. The injection made me SUPER sensitive to everything hygiene products with alcohol in it certain glaucoma drops. Over the counter medications. Rough joint pain and I am not complaining. I can handle any side effect from Vivitrol because its so much better than being on drugs. Who ever came up with Vivitrol injections I want to thank you for saving my life. If any body truely wants to be clean give Vivitrol a try."

Annaybell June 28, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I just spent six years in the penitentiary, as an ex drug addict this shot was offered to me as an option and alternative to other opiate blockers. So far I have taken two of the injections one while in prison and the second as I left the facility. So far so good. Some minor joint pain and a few aches. They were able to be worked thru with a little walkin and exercise. No cravings and definitely no thoughts about tryin ANY opiates after seeing the results first hand. The withdrawal it causes is life threatening. Its not worth it.the nanoxolene is good for our situations. If you really want to get clean give it a whirl!"

exfelon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

"You cannot avoid opiates without Naltrexone being addictive mindset we continue push our efforts in getting next fix but if there is no reward I mean high then wants the use being opiate user for last 10 years tried almost every opiate available I could say that this is one pill or shot you must not forget to take although initially there is trouble sleeping,loose bowel(very bad) sex drive nil but I hope this is temporary since only been week or so taking this pill earlier taken for two.months then relapsed that's why it's important to remind yourself that this pill can only save your life,All the best to recovering addicts"

Rsgvan (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!"

BD84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Can not enjoy sex over 2 minutes, can not stay erect and can not ejaculate."

dontcum (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've had 9 surgerys to my right foot from 2006-2014.. I've had any and all pain meds you can imagine. Obviously got addicted taking 8-10 percs a day.. Beside when I got pregnant I didn't take any but after this last surgery in Jan I promised myself and for my kids to do anything in my power to quit... Found out about this shot and it works wonders I'm so grateful I got my life back. GOT MY 1st SHOT 10 days ago.. NO CRAVINGS TOTALLY NORMAL FEELING... CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE BEING SOBER N LIVING LIFE HOW I REALLY DESERVED!!!! #27 days clean"

Thighsograteful (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"I have been an IV opiate user for many years. I had an insanely large habit ($750-$1000day). After attending rehab, I was put on the Vivitrol injection. I had been clean for 20 days by the time I go the injection. I did still have cravings, as I was so early into recovery and had been using for so long. However, after about a week of being on the shot, I relapsed on 3.5g of heroin, and felt nothing. It can't be overrode. I spent the next year shooting. And finally started to take the pill form. The pill form will block any opiate for 3-5 days (in my experience). I am now 9 months clean, and very rarely have cravings."

Steven87 April 20, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Hello again, I'm following up on my first review from January 27th of 2016. I've now had 4 Vivitrol injections and gotta say, it's worked wonders. The first injection, as I said, caused migraines, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Every injection I've recieved since has been good. No symptoms whatsoever, only positive results. I've been clean since November 17th of 2015. This shot is truly a lifesaver, my cravings are less frequent and very short lived. I reccomend this shot to anyone struggling with opioid dependency. My next injection is tomorrow and I'm sure the results will be the same as the last 3."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I still don't know if cravings and anxiety are one and the same, but I've been on this for 6 months. I notice a lot of headaches, increased anxiety, depression, insomnia and male sexual problems. I still need 0.5 mg Xanax 5 times a day for the anxiety, and Ambien CR for insomnia. The product coordination nurses deny that this causes male sexual side effects, I've had sex twice in 6 months on Vivitol, and that includes my honeymoon. I think Vivitrol helped me the most by making it clear that if I tried any opiates, I could overdose immediately and die. So I've put up with the side-effects, but I hope to be off this in 1 year. And, yes, I want my sex life back."

Otter773 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was a heavey IV user for 2 years have been in and out of treatmeant programs relasping every time. My doctor who was prescribing me subs told me she had to cut me off because I could not pass urine analysis. So basicallly she started telling me about this shot that she was getting trained on and could give me next week, the vivitrol shot. She told me I needed to be at least 7 days clean before getting it otherwise I would have severe withdrawal. Finally I manned up went in to see my doctor told her I couldn't stay clean and that I had used the previous day but I wanted her to give me the shot anyway. Got the shot by the time I got to the car iIwas in full out precipitated withdrawal. Day 4 feeling better just cant sleep at all."

Thrilla133 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've been an opiate addict 7yrs. When I first became addicted OC where everywhere. A few years later I struggled to find any oxycotin, shortly they changed from OC to op struggled with for a while. I just wanted out I tried suboxone but it didn't work for me because I have a migraine issue, so I joined a methadone clinic and became a functioning addict. I was on methadone for 3 yrs. I kept clean from any other drug throughout my time on methadone but was still an addict because both subox and methadone are opiods. I found an Institute there many across the country. They do what is called a rapid detox which was pretty pain free at the end of ur detox I got a vivitrol inplant. It's saved my marriage"

T-Lo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been an opiate user for 6 years. I would do 10-30mg over a few days and go back to subs. I was real close to losing my family so I thought the vivitrol shot was my best option. It was really hard staying clean and going through wd for the past week, but I got through it. Got shot yesterday and I'm not having any side effects. Tossing and turning and not getting a good night sleep will continue for a while. I think the shot is the best option if you are addicted and you really want to change your life. If I can do it anyone can!"

Buzz141 February 24, 2016

"So I started taking the pill naltrexone this morning. I was on day 9 of being off subutex and was taking the subutex for 5 yrs following a opioid addiction for several yrs prior. I had it very rough the first week of being clean then things started getting a little easier. Other than the occasional anxiety, insomnia and just plain no motivation to do anything. I first was prescribed clonedine to help w anxiety and really it's too lower heart rate. One min I wld feel okay the next very sluggish. Did 2 days of this then went to the naltroxone. I felt pretty good this morning before I took the pill and now it's like I'm back into withdrawals...anxiety, sweats, muscle aches..it just seems to b very discouraging. Should I continue the naltrexone?"

volcomjay February 10, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son is addicted to oxycontin. He went to rehab twice and to an extended living facility. He relapsed after both. He is in his second month of Vivatrol treatment and so far is doing very well. He is going to school and says he has no cravings. Still, he has sleep issues and difficulty concentrating. We are very hopeful that he will get his life back. He is seeing a private therapist (psychologist) once a week as well. He is very confident that this combination as well as lots of family support will give him what he needs to succeed in living a drug free life. Many people pray for him every day and we are all very hopeful. In seven weeks he gained ten pounds. That is a big improvement."

JMJ!! February 6, 2016

"I just received the Vivitrol shot yesterday. Ironically it was also my birthday and I found it to be a miracle I was finally brave enough to do it. My Dr. has literally had 9 shots already sent before I finally did it. Its been a long drawn out battle as most of us know."

tdefee12 January 30, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "The shot is a very good deterrent for me. I am being forced to undergo 6 months of injections against my will. My drug of choice is Oxymorphone (Opana), and Oxycodone 30mg . I've been using for about two years before I got locked up for 5 months. Got out, did okay for about a month then relapsed. Before I knew it I was doing pills everyday...again. Went to rehab about a month after my first relapse, did the 30 days there and probation forced me to make Vivitrol part of my recovery plan. First shot was horrible at first, I was clean for 27 days before I got it but once injected I started getting light headed. Then came vomiting, stomach cramps, and pretty bad migraines. I'm getting shot number two in about 5 days."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"Im 23yr old herion addict. I started on oxys, went to herion/crack, to methadone/suboxone for about 4-5 years. Even on methadone I was still using on top of it everyday, I would barely get a buzz but my cravings were that strong. Finally after overdose/suicide attempt I was referred to an amazing ADHD/addiction Dr who prescribed rivea (oral). I have almost 1 in half yr clean w/ only a 1day relapse. I'm from Canada & we don't have the shot. This was a GAME CHANGER. Zero cravings & there was no side affects for me. Downside is u have to have the willpower to take it everyday (upside for places that have the shot, very jealeous). Stops me from impulsive mistakes as it blocks for up to 72 hours. Blessed to have found this & grateful it worked for me"

Alikitty January 5, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "For almost four years my life was completely out of control, what had started out as playful became my worst nightmare. I spent several years homeless, and in and out of institutions. Eventually, I had hit my rock bottom and became desperate enough to fully surrender, that meant quitting alcohol, and putting down needle. Vivitrol helped me stay stopped. Before getting the shot I used to have cravings all day every day. Now I am to go about my day without worrying if today is the day that I relapse. Vivitrol gave me the extra push to stay clean and go about living a normal life. Cocaine/Mali etc users don't have anything to help them staying clean. So I am truly grateful for this drug! It helped me realize that life can be wonderful without drugs"

1empress (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2015

"I made the mistake taking one vicodin two days prior to starting naltrexone and had the worst withdrawals. Mental cravings stronger than ever."

intenselysick1 December 14, 2015