User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I recently went through a medical detox from heroin and after 6 days when my vitals showed I was opiate free I was administered the Vivitrol shot which is pretty deep and painful in itself. I experienced terrible symptoms like upset stomach, diarrhea, severe restlessness, muscle cramps and twitches, nausea, chills, fever, enlarged pupils, lazy eye, extreme irritableness, high anxiety, rapid heart rate, shakiness, and sleeplessness plus the sight where the shot was administered ached like an epidural. I ended up in the emergency room with an adverse reaction. I feel like death and can barely focus on my actual detox and life. Next month when this shot is hopefully out of my system I will not get it again! At least I'm off heroin!"

JTEreRiggs February 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Horrible reaction to a drug, gave me chills, restless legs, anxiety, pain. Like opioid withdrawal, but I was using it after 7 day of abstinence."

be2 February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Was the sickest I have ever even been in my nightmares!! Not fun - don't get with a habit and I feel like it does nothing for cravings its just like oh I can't cuz it won't do anything., but that doesn't mean anything if ur urge to use is still there. I had a heavy heroin addict before I got shot worst withdrawals of my life!!! Worse then methadone suboxone heroin mixed into 1 times 10 tough stuff. Each is own. If u are serious about getting off the shit this is one way.. Good luck"

cakattack (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm getting my 18th shot this month that means I have successfully completed the vivitrol program at a local adult facility. This shot did something not sure what but I don't have urges or wants to use drugs I was an I user and ruined my life almost but now I'm successful and nobody would ever guess how bad I use to be. And I don't ever have to be a junkie again. Thank god.... no side affects so I hope I can keep it up after this month and I hope my brain is okay with me stopping the shot."

Ive been set free!! January 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was addicted to opiates for 4years before this shot. I finally feel like I'm not living a double life any more! I was homeless within 6 months of first becoming dependant on heroin (IV from the start) and I've wanted to stop ever since. Will power alone is not enough! I've tried every way on my own, but now, with Vivitrol , I can be confident in my recovery. It's closing in on the end of my first month on it, it has caused some stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, anhedonia, and slight depression. The best comparison would be the feeling when you first start to feel withdrawal setting in. My craving levels were eliminated after administration, however toward the end of the month I'm feeling them more."

Jacqattack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Week three after Vivitrol. Still having severe insomnia, goose bumps, depression,lack of energy and weakness. It did curb my desire for cigarettes but because I feel so horrible for so long I am craving a fix. I'm only on the fence with this injection."

Sovie201336 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Only way I can stay off of heroin and pain pills"

DJ86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Have been on the shot for 2 year's now it helped me recover from alcohol but I also found it helps my major anxiety and sleep I don't think they have done enough studies on it to see what else it can help whit"

Gypsy41 December 1, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "It works excellent have been clean 6 months. I love it."

Sweatpeasr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Revia (naltrexone): "Battled a 6 year prescription opiate addiction, with a good 5 years in and out of withdrawals trying to get clean, never working and landing myself in hospital twice, once for a week and lucky to be alive. Tried a suboxone program but wanted to be properly free from the opiate bindings and feel again. Since being on Naltrexone I have not thought, cared, desired any opiate. Totally free from my mind and able to get on with my life, feeling, and feeling great. As an added bonus my in and out battle with alcohol has gone the exact same way, also dropping other destructive impulsive behaviour. Just dont care about it. First week I had brutal lethargy but after dealing with years of withdrawals it was cake, no side effects since then.Life saver"

ImJustMe November 3, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Most dr. Recommend for heavy dose over two week taper I started with a half 8mg sub and decreased over 7 days on the 7th day I only took 1/16 of a sub and that was it with help from Xanax and 420 was able to make the 14 days needed for the shot but still didn't feel amazing but was getting there the only negative about the shot is that I have bad stomach pains for the first two shots already which last time I was just tired for the first 2 shots i am wondering if anyone else gets this stomach pain all day and all night"

Swim420 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I battled opiate addiction for 11 years and I was in and out of jails and institutions half my life and all that was left was death for me and I was a split second away from taking my last breath. I have been on Vivitrol and it has completely changed my life!"

Brock Arden (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "While the rehab changes your perception no matter how you go into in, the Vivitrol changes your brain chemistry altogether. It's the combination of being on the outside and seeing where you've made your mistakes, knowing that you have a shield guarding you at every moment. Life becomes more normal in that time. It's like a rehab that follows you. Brilliant. When I got off of the shot I had a couple moments of frustration but that was easily solved with my newfound knowledge. Mostly the knowledge of myself. I believe this could save many lives. If you don't want it but take it for someone else, at least you have a month to figure out why."

Erik black (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Was not givin the correct information and was not monitored after injection. I was honest and told the doctor I took suboxine 6 days before the shot and he said I would be fine. Well about 30 minutes after the shot I started having terrible withdrawals. Sweating and it felt like my skin was on fire for the entire month. I urinated every 15minutes. Couldn't sleep and extreme restless leg syndrome. Constant headache and urinary tract infection to boot. Zero sex drive and bad mood the whole time. Sought therapy at Calvary house and told all my symtoms. No one cared. At 1200.00 each month why would they."

Never again ever 1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there."

TheHumanRace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!"

THighSoGrateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I received my 2nd shot yesterday. I've been a heavy opiate mostly heroin IV user for 13 years I was put in jail for 14 days to clean out for my 1st shot. Immediately after the shot I had no cravings. I was put on xanax for anxiety cuz its been super high. I have acne due to the shot. I get leg cramps. It saved my life"

Dbags1124 July 19, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "After 16 years of opioid and heroin addiction I had tried everything. Methadone for 3years and off and on suboxone for 8 or more years, i tried hard to get off suboxone and it was horrid withdrawal so I relapsed on heroin. When I knew I might die if I kept it up, I put myself into a detox and planed to leave after. Stayed for rehab and the vivitrol was suggested I went back and fourth with my decision because I still wanted to drink. Finally I decided to get the shot. Side Effects: muscle spasms, constant stretching that felt great, decreased appetite, weight loss. The interactions with my 3mgs of clozepam are hard to explain. It's a high definitely but not one I like to much. If I take Bental for the stomac cramps I get really dipped out"

Viva trolling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vicitrol saved my life. After going to rehab a few times, I was exposed to the option of getting the monthly vivitrol muscular injection. The first month I was on it I tried to use opiates just to test it and see if it worked and I felt nothing. After that experience I knew that this would be more helpful than any other method. I continued getting the shot until I found out I was pregnant. With over three years clean I can say with confidence that this shot is worth it if you are serious about changing your life. I am grateful every day for the second chance it help give me."

Jrabs July 13, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I started Vivitrol in January 2015 after getting an OUI Drugs & a heroin posession charge b/c knew I needed to stop using, but I didn't really want to. Between January and April I got my monthly shot but I still tried to use every now and then (but I couldn't get high). My insurance was cancled in May so I took the opportunity to get high. I ended up getting another OUI & spent a month in jail till my next court date. I went straight from court to my doctors office to get an injection and I've gotten 1 every 28 days since (07/15 - 07/16). I'm not sure how Vivitrol effected my cravings because my first time on it, the thought of giving up heroin was devastating to me. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted getting high. LOVE VIVITROL!!"

Mr Clean (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "7-13-16 will be my 4th injection I'm looking forward to it. I have had problems with opiates and alcohol threw out my life. Vivitrol has saved my life. The injection made me SUPER sensitive to everything hygiene products with alcohol in it certain glaucoma drops. Over the counter medications. Rough joint pain and I am not complaining. I can handle any side effect from Vivitrol because its so much better than being on drugs. Who ever came up with Vivitrol injections I want to thank you for saving my life. If any body truely wants to be clean give Vivitrol a try."

Annaybell June 28, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I just spent six years in the penitentiary, as an ex drug addict this shot was offered to me as an option and alternative to other opiate blockers. So far I have taken two of the injections one while in prison and the second as I left the facility. So far so good. Some minor joint pain and a few aches. They were able to be worked thru with a little walkin and exercise. No cravings and definitely no thoughts about tryin ANY opiates after seeing the results first hand. The withdrawal it causes is life threatening. Its not worth it.the nanoxolene is good for our situations. If you really want to get clean give it a whirl!"

exfelon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"You cannot avoid opiates without Naltrexone being addictive mindset we continue push our efforts in getting next fix but if there is no reward I mean high then wants the use being opiate user for last 10 years tried almost every opiate available I could say that this is one pill or shot you must not forget to take although initially there is trouble sleeping,loose bowel(very bad) sex drive nil but I hope this is temporary since only been week or so taking this pill earlier taken for two.months then relapsed that's why it's important to remind yourself that this pill can only save your life,All the best to recovering addicts"

Rsgvan (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!"

BD84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Can not enjoy sex over 2 minutes, can not stay erect and can not ejaculate."

dontcum (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016