User Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Also known as: Vivitrol

Naltrexone has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 137 ratings for the treatment of Opiate Dependence. 66% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone

Ex-Addict9999 June 17, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict.”

Jqnit33 November 13, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I am a 28 y/o male, I used all drugs from about 12 but opiates and then IV heroin for about 10 years straight. I went through at least 7-8 rehabs and detoxes and endless county jails. In all those years I never had been able to stay clean more than a month on purpose. I've been clean now 1 year 8 months and a day. Vivitrol saved my life without a doubt. I was on it for 13 months with intensive out patient treatment and as many NA meeting as I could get to in a week. I had some issues sleeping with the first shot but after that the side effects were a headache here and there. Freedom from active addiction is worth any cost. Give it a try if I could do it I promise anyone can.”

Jacobyy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Hello my names Jacoby, I'm 21 I'm a heroin addict. I didn't have anything else work for me. When the suboxone was out of my system I'd relapse. Nothing ever worked for me. I had been putting off the shot as long as I could thinking "well what if I get hurt or break something and need pain killers" then I was fed up. I had lost everything and I was an inch away from losing the love of my life. I made the decision to get the shot I've had it a month now and was clean 2 weeks prior to getting it. Now I feel back to myself again. There's no feeling like it. I can wake up in the morning and roll outta bed to go to work when before I couldn't physically get outta bed without doing a half gram. I highly recommend to get this shot! You won't regret it!”

n3v3rlearn · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2021

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I was a average H addict for about a decade, tried quitting a million times, then did a 7 day rapid detox on comfort meds and got the Vivitrol day 8. The next 2 weeks brutal depression, couldn't work, suicidal thoughts. I tried H for the first few days, nothing happened so gave up. Soon after I felt normal no cravings. I stayed on it for 6 months. saved my life for sure. Stayed clean 3 years! Then relapsed during COVID so I just did another 7 day rapid detox and today is day 2 after the shot and I can't get out of bed. But I know a few days of this is expected, the feeling of ice cream inside my bones is the worst part. And all the other side effects I think are just from no opioids. I have ED, oh well. This is only if you 100% serious to quit.”

THighSoGrateful · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!”

JustonB84 · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out.”

Paulie vivitrolie October 20, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I have been a heavy opiate user for 15 years. I did have years staying "clean" using soboxone but once I got divorced I became depressed and relapsed. My addiction took off and I ended up using IV heroin and at that point trying to go back and use soboxone to stay clean was impossible. It took a overdose and 30 day treatment to make the decision to get the injection and it saved my life, best drug in the world. I know people have fears of breaking a bone or being in severe pain while being on a long lasting opiate blocker but as a paramedic there is 1 opiate narcotic that will not be blocked by vivitrol...I won't tell you which but all docs and paramedics know...so have no fear, DO IT! I have never been happier”

Mr Clean · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 2, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I started Vivitrol in January 2015 after getting an OUI Drugs & a heroin posession charge b/c knew I needed to stop using, but I didn't really want to. Between January and April I got my monthly shot but I still tried to use every now and then (but I couldn't get high). My insurance was cancled in May so I took the opportunity to get high. I ended up getting another OUI & spent a month in jail till my next court date. I went straight from court to my doctors office to get an injection and I've gotten 1 every 28 days since (07/15 - 07/16). I'm not sure how Vivitrol effected my cravings because my first time on it, the thought of giving up heroin was devastating to me. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted getting high. LOVE VIVITROL!!”

happy mama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Vivitrol is amazing. My daughter just received her 9th shot and my son his 3 shot. Before this shot my kids only worry was their next high. Today they are enjoying life as college students! We tried other options like Suboxone & Zubsolve as well as several rehabs. It always ended after 60 or 90 days with relapse. This shot has allowed my 2 youngest (19 & 21) a chance at a real life. They tell me they have no cravings & the best part is that its not a daily choice to take a medicine. They only have to make the decision 1x a month. Of course they are using the Vivitrol along with A LOT of counseling. The hardest part for the addict is to stay clean the 7 days prior.”

Erik black · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 24, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “While the rehab changes your perception no matter how you go into in, the Vivitrol changes your brain chemistry altogether. It's the combination of being on the outside and seeing where you've made your mistakes, knowing that you have a shield guarding you at every moment. Life becomes more normal in that time. It's like a rehab that follows you. Brilliant. When I got off of the shot I had a couple moments of frustration but that was easily solved with my newfound knowledge. Mostly the knowledge of myself. I believe this could save many lives. If you don't want it but take it for someone else, at least you have a month to figure out why.”

Anonymous April 12, 2008

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “As a chronic relapsing opiate addict, Vivitrol has been an excellent medication to aid my recovery. Have not noticed many side effects, if any. Basically eliminates my cravings for opiates and alcohol and provides good mental insurance knowing that if I do use opiates, I will get no effect from them.”

Monty August 7, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “So I was on suboxone for almost 5 years . It helped get my life together but created a barrier for moving forward. I grew stagnant , just doing well enough in life to stay afloat. I kept the mediocre job , the small apartment and "ok" life. I'm staying humble through this time. I made the decision to get off the subs and chose vivitrol. At first the withdrawals from the subs were bad then I started getting better. My doctor "suggested" I get the vivitrol shot and I knew that would be a good decision. I didn't want to feel horrible like I did on the subs, I wanted pure sobriety. So I jumped on the idea without hesitation. I'm 2 shots in now and I feel as though I'm still in withdrawal. I will definitely not be getting another shot. I'm certain its because of the shot at this point . Over 2 months feeling like this??? I'm writing this hopefully to help someone going through the same thing . If you still feel pain, aches , insomnia, general dissatisfaction with life , it might be the vivitrol.”

Ive been set free!! January 18, 2017

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I'm getting my 18th shot this month that means I have successfully completed the vivitrol program at a local adult facility. This shot did something not sure what but I don't have urges or wants to use drugs I was an I user and ruined my life almost but now I'm successful and nobody would ever guess how bad I use to be. And I don't ever have to be a junkie again. Thank god.... no side affects so I hope I can keep it up after this month and I hope my brain is okay with me stopping the shot.”

TheHumanRace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 18, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there.”

Phnx59555 April 6, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Vivitrol saved my life and career. Use was 15 10/325 Norcos a day for one year. The hardest part is before you get the shot, being abstinent from opiates for 7 days but if you have an informed doctor they give you different medications to make your withdrawal more tolerable. It was do-able I was terrified but I promise it's possible. Once I had the shot I felt like myself again no cravings. Only side effect I had was a tiny little bit of soreness at injection site. Other than that I felt NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. Zero. That was my experience, my advise if you proceed with this is make sure you find a doctor who knows what they are doing, it makes a difference. Go to addiction specialist if possible.”

Brock Arden · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I battled opiate addiction for 11 years and I was in and out of jails and institutions half my life and all that was left was death for me and I was a split second away from taking my last breath. I have been on Vivitrol and it has completely changed my life!”

Hobbit · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I couldn't stop using dope for the life of me. Literally. I used within 24 hours of getting the vivitrol shot. My doctor knew but he also knew if he didn't get it into me I would keep using and die. I had two days of intense withdrawal. Worse than I'd ever had. Then about five more days of laziness and being agitated. But once your mind finally gives up and comes to terms that you can't get high you calm down. The hustle stops. This was my only option to stop. Feeling like death for two days was worth the lifelong nightmare I was pursuing”

BD84 · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!”

Thighsograteful · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I've had 9 surgerys to my right foot from 2006-2014.. I've had any and all pain meds you can imagine. Obviously got addicted taking 8-10 percs a day.. Beside when I got pregnant I didn't take any but after this last surgery in Jan I promised myself and for my kids to do anything in my power to quit... Found out about this shot and it works wonders I'm so grateful I got my life back. GOT MY 1st SHOT 10 days ago.. NO CRAVINGS TOTALLY NORMAL FEELING... CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE BEING SOBER N LIVING LIFE HOW I REALLY DESERVED!!!! #27 days clean”

Maximus August 20, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Vivitrol is a life saver for sure but the mental aspects such as the depression, lethargy, lack of motivation, gastro problems are all really side effects. But I was so depressed and lethargic from the shot I couldn't bear to stay on it any longer than a month. By day 25 the vivitrol depression was lifting and I started to feel normal again. You have to weigh the pros and cons of the shot. Nobody talks about how Vivitrol blocks the heroin from entering your opiate receptors. But it also blocks the natural production of serotonin and dopamine from entering these receptors as well. Vivitrol cannot differentiate between the two. It's a proven fact and I know from experience. But the makers of the shot don't want you too know this. In the end I have a love and hate relationship with Vivitrol. It gave me the time to heal . But the depression and lethargy the shot causes I wouldn't wish it on everyone.”

ELMO · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I've been incarcerated for 47 months and the treatment center I am going to for out patient pushed the drug on me said it would be a safety net for me. I got the shot today at 9 am and I have been depressed, having horrible anxiety all day, no motivation. As one guy said it felt like he was in a dream and that is exactly how I feel. None of these side effects were explained to me at all. I'm so upset with myself for taking this. These rehab get $ for pushing drugs like vivitrol and suboxone I would not recommend this to anyone at all!! If this goes on for 28 days I'm going to lose my mind and no - these side effects are not me going through withdrawals or PAWS (Post-acute withdrawal syndrome) I'VE BEEN CLEAN 47 MONTHS!!!”

tiffanybanks April 9, 2012

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I am a very young addict, and when I was in rehab I wasn't even aware of the shot. The shot is a wonderful thing. I have had no cravings whatsoever, and I am very hopeful for the future. The shot is not a make everything better thing however one must continue with meetings and work hard everyday at their recovery. Good Luck. Highly recommended.”

Chronicwitit March 18, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “I've been using opiates for 8 yrs now the past 3 I have been a heavy IV heroin user. I have been to at least 10 different programs relapsing every time so I'm considered to be a chronic relapser. This time I chose the vivitrol shot I just got this about 5 days ago on the day I was released from rehab and I can guarantee you if it wasn't for this I would be high. This is early in but I have no cravings my mind is clear Definitely going to get the whole year my insurance is goin to pay out.. As for side effects maybe small common ones that you can look up but nothing to complain about. This is the shit y'all, ain't not one bad thing....go get you some”

MADDs March 22, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “My son decided to place himself in rehab for 30days for opiate dep. Had been on suboxone for 6mos. Addicts know how to manipulate medications. After 30days of being clean and intense inpatient rehab he went with the Vivitrol shot when exiting. It was great! No cravings, he felt great. Upon seeing his new psych in outpatient he warned my son about the dangers of Vivitrol to your liver and would only agree to give him one more shot maybe two after the initial shot. He had two shots total after rehab and is doing amazingly well. If you want to remain sober you have to have the mindset to stay sober. The least amount of time you are on this medication the better. Make sure you have liver function tests done. Vivtrol works”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone): “Ive only gotten the shot twice February and March 2020 and I'm not sure what to think it's good can as a heroin addict you know you can't get high so don't even try, cause it will just annoy you but the cravings are still the same as without it and the migraines every day and nausea are terrible. My sex drive went from very healthy to not wanting to touch my husband of 11 years and that's not like me at all!! And let's talk about the depression - I've never been so depressed In my life and I already have depression but it got so bad I would just lay in bed and cry. I didn't realize it it had anything to do with the shot until I read more about it and what people have said. I thought something was seriously wrong with me it's getting better now due to me haven't got my dose this month due to covid-19 and my insurance ...but I don't think I'm going to do it again ...”

Learn more about Opiate Dependence