User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Can anyone explain why the doctor at my local clinic was a completely disgusted with me for NOT wanting to receive the Vititrol injection? I'm not in trouble with the law, but I did get caught using Suboxone, which I have been off of for over two weeks. They said I would get to know this doc. Would talk to him. Tell him my story. Well, the nurses must have tipped him off. He was defensive right off the bat. Asking why I wouldn't think it a good idea. Then basically read a list of bullet points from his laptop on success rates and how without this i will almost certainly fail. Ive never felt like this. He had no other options but to go back on Suboxone. (Not gonna happen) He slammed his laptop and said we're done. ?????"

JEphro May 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "This is my second time receiving the Vivtrol injection. It is very effective for Alcohol and Opiate dependence. I have had very little cravings for either drugs. My side effects were minimal. I highly recommend this drug for the disease of Addiction."

Grace/Mercy April 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been a opiate user fir 15 years and yes they were prescribed and yes I still abused them. I first got off of oxycontin by using Suboxone which I bought off the streets. Sooo, I decided to try this miracle injection. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I don't know what's on this injection, but I've been sick for 5 days. I will wait for this drug to wear off and go back To the subs. Thanks for letting me vent"

Selma sur (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm on vivitrol and I have no side effects and I'm doing fabulous I have no desire to use I was an IV user for 13 years and vivitrol saving my life"

Alynnf April 2, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "About to start"

Just looking (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had three days removed from Suboxone and Percocet and took my first pill last night which is been miserable since I'm hoping when I take the second one later this afternoon that it does not get worse since I will have my newborn for the night alone with me and then I'm due to receive the shot tomorrow since I already took one pill. So taking the second one shouldn't make me feel any worse is what I'm hoping I should have waited longer to have more clean time but this is what I had to do to keep my family intact, I am looking forward to see how the shot works with me I've wasted enough time and money over the years to know I can't do it anymore with a brand-new baby depending on me"

12yearswasted (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I recently went through a medical detox from heroin and after 6 days when my vitals showed I was opiate free I was administered the Vivitrol shot which is pretty deep and painful in itself. I experienced terrible symptoms like upset stomach, diarrhea, severe restlessness, muscle cramps and twitches, nausea, chills, fever, enlarged pupils, lazy eye, extreme irritableness, high anxiety, rapid heart rate, shakiness, and sleeplessness plus the sight where the shot was administered ached like an epidural. I ended up in the emergency room with an adverse reaction. I feel like death and can barely focus on my actual detox and life. Next month when this shot is hopefully out of my system I will not get it again! At least I'm off heroin!"

JTEreRiggs February 16, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible reaction to a drug, gave me chills, restless legs, anxiety, pain. Like opioid withdrawal, but I was using it after 7 day of abstinence."

be2 February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Was the sickest I have ever even been in my nightmares!! Not fun - don't get with a habit and I feel like it does nothing for cravings its just like oh I can't cuz it won't do anything., but that doesn't mean anything if ur urge to use is still there. I had a heavy heroin addict before I got shot worst withdrawals of my life!!! Worse then methadone suboxone heroin mixed into 1 times 10 tough stuff. Each is own. If u are serious about getting off the shit this is one way.. Good luck"

cakattack (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm getting my 18th shot this month that means I have successfully completed the vivitrol program at a local adult facility. This shot did something not sure what but I don't have urges or wants to use drugs I was an I user and ruined my life almost but now I'm successful and nobody would ever guess how bad I use to be. And I don't ever have to be a junkie again. Thank god.... no side affects so I hope I can keep it up after this month and I hope my brain is okay with me stopping the shot."

Ive been set free!! January 18, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was addicted to opiates for 4years before this shot. I finally feel like I'm not living a double life any more! I was homeless within 6 months of first becoming dependant on heroin (IV from the start) and I've wanted to stop ever since. Will power alone is not enough! I've tried every way on my own, but now, with Vivitrol , I can be confident in my recovery. It's closing in on the end of my first month on it, it has caused some stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, anhedonia, and slight depression. The best comparison would be the feeling when you first start to feel withdrawal setting in. My craving levels were eliminated after administration, however toward the end of the month I'm feeling them more."

Jacqattack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Week three after Vivitrol. Still having severe insomnia, goose bumps, depression,lack of energy and weakness. It did curb my desire for cigarettes but because I feel so horrible for so long I am craving a fix. I'm only on the fence with this injection."

Sovie201336 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Only way I can stay off of heroin and pain pills"

DJ86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Have been on the shot for 2 year's now it helped me recover from alcohol but I also found it helps my major anxiety and sleep I don't think they have done enough studies on it to see what else it can help whit"

Gypsy41 December 1, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "It works excellent have been clean 6 months. I love it."

Sweatpeasr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Revia (naltrexone): "Battled a 6 year prescription opiate addiction, with a good 5 years in and out of withdrawals trying to get clean, never working and landing myself in hospital twice, once for a week and lucky to be alive. Tried a suboxone program but wanted to be properly free from the opiate bindings and feel again. Since being on Naltrexone I have not thought, cared, desired any opiate. Totally free from my mind and able to get on with my life, feeling, and feeling great. As an added bonus my in and out battle with alcohol has gone the exact same way, also dropping other destructive impulsive behaviour. Just dont care about it. First week I had brutal lethargy but after dealing with years of withdrawals it was cake, no side effects since then.Life saver"

ImJustMe November 3, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Most dr. Recommend for heavy dose over two week taper I started with a half 8mg sub and decreased over 7 days on the 7th day I only took 1/16 of a sub and that was it with help from Xanax and 420 was able to make the 14 days needed for the shot but still didn't feel amazing but was getting there the only negative about the shot is that I have bad stomach pains for the first two shots already which last time I was just tired for the first 2 shots i am wondering if anyone else gets this stomach pain all day and all night"

Swim420 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I battled opiate addiction for 11 years and I was in and out of jails and institutions half my life and all that was left was death for me and I was a split second away from taking my last breath. I have been on Vivitrol and it has completely changed my life!"

Brock Arden (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "While the rehab changes your perception no matter how you go into in, the Vivitrol changes your brain chemistry altogether. It's the combination of being on the outside and seeing where you've made your mistakes, knowing that you have a shield guarding you at every moment. Life becomes more normal in that time. It's like a rehab that follows you. Brilliant. When I got off of the shot I had a couple moments of frustration but that was easily solved with my newfound knowledge. Mostly the knowledge of myself. I believe this could save many lives. If you don't want it but take it for someone else, at least you have a month to figure out why."

Erik black (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Was not givin the correct information and was not monitored after injection. I was honest and told the doctor I took suboxine 6 days before the shot and he said I would be fine. Well about 30 minutes after the shot I started having terrible withdrawals. Sweating and it felt like my skin was on fire for the entire month. I urinated every 15minutes. Couldn't sleep and extreme restless leg syndrome. Constant headache and urinary tract infection to boot. Zero sex drive and bad mood the whole time. Sought therapy at Calvary house and told all my symtoms. No one cared. At 1200.00 each month why would they."

Never again ever 1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there."

TheHumanRace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!"

THighSoGrateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I received my 2nd shot yesterday. I've been a heavy opiate mostly heroin IV user for 13 years I was put in jail for 14 days to clean out for my 1st shot. Immediately after the shot I had no cravings. I was put on xanax for anxiety cuz its been super high. I have acne due to the shot. I get leg cramps. It saved my life"

Dbags1124 July 19, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "After 16 years of opioid and heroin addiction I had tried everything. Methadone for 3years and off and on suboxone for 8 or more years, i tried hard to get off suboxone and it was horrid withdrawal so I relapsed on heroin. When I knew I might die if I kept it up, I put myself into a detox and planed to leave after. Stayed for rehab and the vivitrol was suggested I went back and fourth with my decision because I still wanted to drink. Finally I decided to get the shot. Side Effects: muscle spasms, constant stretching that felt great, decreased appetite, weight loss. The interactions with my 3mgs of clozepam are hard to explain. It's a high definitely but not one I like to much. If I take Bental for the stomac cramps I get really dipped out"

Viva trolling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vicitrol saved my life. After going to rehab a few times, I was exposed to the option of getting the monthly vivitrol muscular injection. The first month I was on it I tried to use opiates just to test it and see if it worked and I felt nothing. After that experience I knew that this would be more helpful than any other method. I continued getting the shot until I found out I was pregnant. With over three years clean I can say with confidence that this shot is worth it if you are serious about changing your life. I am grateful every day for the second chance it help give me."

Jrabs July 13, 2016