User Reviews for Acamprosate

Alcohol Dependence
8.7

Reviews for Acamprosate

Kiitah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2021

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “This drug has saved my life. It works! I swear you will not regret it. Do it! It's so much better than the other 2. Antabuse makes you sick if you drink. Naltrexone makes you not feel it if you drink. Neither one takes away the craving to drink for me. This does. Drinking almost finished me. A stint in detox in rehab kept me sober for 5 months before I relapsed, went on a 5 month drinking binge that landed me in the hospital. Again. I went back to detox. This time I got a substance savvy addiction based psychiatrist and he prescribed this, and it has worked. I'm free of the demon of craving alcohol all the time. No more feelings of perpetually swimming against the current of desire for a drink. This keeps the demons at bay. I'm 6 months sober and not looking back. Think of it as Chantix (the smoking cessation drug) for alcohol. Any cravings you do have are fleeting and easy to let go of. I thank the universe every day for it. I have no side effects at all.”

Acey · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 13, 2021

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I got to a point that I nearly died so wanted to stop drinking desperately. I relasped and was taken to hospital. Then after 1 week I got put on Accamprosate, 2 years later still not feeling urge to drink, I get mild cravings occasionally they only last few seconds. This medication saved my life, marriage, home and made my 10 year old proud of his dad . Thank you to the inventors of it you saved my life”

AnthonyS · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 9, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “I seriously don’t know how I just found out about acamprosate. I’ve had acute pancreatitis 14 times from alcohol. Still manage to run a successful business but things were falling apart fast. Could never stay sober longer than 6 months. Just hit 1 year today with no booze and have had no cravings after a few days in on the 3 times a day pills a year ago. Lost 36 lbs (back down to my college athletic weight of 160lbs from 196). Relationships are good again, never want a sip of a drink again and have zero desire. No side effects for me whatsoever”

Free · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2020

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I was a heavy drinker since I was 16. I am now 42 and have been an alcoholic for the past 10 years. After a week of binge drinking I ended up in hospital. This was 5 months ago. After detoxification I was prescribed Campral. 2 tabs, 3 x day. I haven’t had a drink since. I can now go to the pub with friends and am happy to drink soda water. I never thought I’d make it to this stage”

Hadenough · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I've been a alcoholic for years 64 years old now in an out of rehabs detox 4 times in the last year, hospital 2 times jail 1 all in a year. My doc noticed my blood tests showed liver problems ended up several test later was contacted by liver doc who told me I had the beginning of liver failure and advised that I start Campral been 54 days sober not looking back feel better and hope my liver heals. You can do it if I can”

NoNo24 August 11, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “Miracle. Been taking Campral about 4 days and I’m already seeing great benefits. The last few years I’ve been a heavy drinker due to a lot of trauma in my life. I’m 42 now. I was always able to quit but it never lasted no matter AA meetings I went to, shrinks, etc, I think mostly because not drinking made me anxious, racing thoughts, worry, irritable, tired, depressed, angry, lonely, etc. I stumbled onto this med after finally going back to my GP. I had no idea it even existed and I researched the internet for years looking for something to ease my symptoms. I’ve been alcohol free a couple of weeks now but feel COMPLETELY different. No more bad symptoms! It’s gotta be this medication. It makes you wonder if the booze companies lobby to suppress this drug’s existence. That’s how helpful it’s been for me. I’ve taken antidepressants, anti anxiety, etc and this now is all I need! I hope Campral works for anyone else needing and begging for help for their alcohol dependence or being a alcoholic like I was, it really is the drug that works for alcoholism. ”

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I’ve suffered every type of consequence from drinking including pancreatitis, cardiac arrest, and a stroke but each time something health wise or another negative situation happened, it was never enough to make me quit drinking. I just got out of rehab again, but this time I heard about Campral, and figured I had nothing to lose so I agreed to try it. Although it’s only been a month I don’t crave alcohol at all. I think I might make it this time.”

Journeyingtoselflove June 20, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am a 36 yr old mother of 3, lots of history of abuse (sexual,emotional,mental) perpetrated by family members, father and ex husband, have a history of depression and anxiety. Have been drinking alcohol to excess for 16 yrs. I could go without alcohol,(a 6-10 pack of rum and cola cans) if pressed but would always feel ‘joyless,’ hard done by, anxiety ridden, depressed.. Being a smoker as well, my health was starting to deteriorate quickly.. Attempts, including going to AA, Valium to help with the ‘witching hour,’ self control, never worked. I thought I was going to die from the drink, I was beginning to want to, the awful life that I have endured, in my head for so long was becoming unbearable. I started Campral 7 days ago, I haven’t wanted an alcoholic drink (or cigarette!!) since the night before taking my first dose! This is my miracle!!!!! I honestly cannot believe it, it’s like I have never been addicted to anything, like I’ve been released from insanity.. CRAZY!!”

Irish Drinker · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I sought specialist assistance eventually for my alcohol dependence . I took librium and then campral and generally with support did 3 years sober until my mums wake in May 2017. It creeps up on you and before you know your dependant again. I've got a supported detox arranged for me after my 50th and intend to take campral again after librium detox. I strongly recommend you take time off work and be proactive in seeking support. Take a good look at your habits and strategize. I was at my happiest sober. Didn't even think about it after a while. I realised I wasn't boring and I hadn't lost my sense if fun. In fact I had more energy to have fun and lost loads of weight, so I am really looking forward to that one. It's nothing to be ashamed of it's a courageous move often admired. I'm really looking forward to my break of what prevents me from doing things I want to do. If you fall of the wagon then suss out why. Get support and pull socks up again. Ignore the stigma! Good luck to me and you. We rock for trying to break cycle ”

Working through it · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “Campral has been a “miracle” drug for me and my alcohol. I’ve been an on & off drinker my entire life and realized it was hurting me. Burying a few friends sharpened my focus. Now, just over 2 months into zero booze... I feel much better. Campral helped me through the danger zone: 5 to 8:00 PM eating dinner & watching TV. The craving and temptation seem to have disappeared- my only side effect is flatulence- easy to deal with. I also practice HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) to warn me against a relapse. Campral works. Two 333 tabs three times daily.”

GR8FULHART · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am 5 days into my first week of Campral 333 mg 3x a day. I am careful to stay on a schedule of 6 am, 2 pm, and 10 pm. So far all seems well. Idk if this was a placebo effect but I was NOT craving a drink from the first night. My drinking has escalated over the past 8-10 years from just a couple drinks on weekends to nightly drinks that led to hangovers 2 or 3 times a week and blackouts a couple of times a month. Breaking free from alcohol is something I truly desire and this seems to be giving me the help that I've needed. I have noticed that my dreams have been very lucid and disturbing; hoping this goes away. Either way, I'm sticking with it.”

Engineer in the South January 4, 2020

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I’m a mid 60 year old degrees engineer with a very good life. I have a good job and boss and even greater wife and family. I’ve been drinking since a freshman in undergraduate- this increased when I went in the military and has since been sort of up and down over the years. Since hitting 60 I noticed I was drinking more- a definite tolerance was developed. I have quit cold turkey at least three times- and each withdrawal was worse- the last was very bad so I reached out to my physician, was completely honest & since it had been four days since my last glass of wine- he recommended Campral, two tablets, three times daily - I’ve been careful to stay on the precise dosage schedule. For me, this medicine is WORKING (all caps on purpose). The cravings, though this is a subjective rating, have diminished considerably. I’m not rushing to get home to have a drink now, and I feel more alert or “brighter.””

Willow · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have been on Campral for 7 days for alcohol issues. The first 6 were very difficult as I was still craving to drink. I had one nip on day 6. It made me feel nothing and I didn't want another. Then finally the next day on day 7. No cravings! I've been a on/off drinker and binge/blackout drinker for the last 39 years. I am 54 yrs old. I've tried Campral several times in the past but couldn't last more than a few days on it. So finally I've made it to day 7 with only 1 nip and I feel a huge difference. I also feel calmer as I normally have a lot of anxiety. I'm sure as the days go on it will only get better from here as long as I keep taking it.”

pbs1boone · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2017

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others.”

davedonuts May 20, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I'm a 48 year old male who's been an alcoholic almost all my life. Coming from the UK with its drinking culture I always thought it was normal to go the pub everyday. I guess I was drinking 10 pints everyday when I was 18 years old, more on weekends. I was a 'functioning alcoholic for about 10 years. My drinking gradually got worst and by my 30's I was drinking neat vodka. I started to drink in the mornings before work. I started to lose jobs, got arrested for being drunk too many times to remember, lost my driving licence 3 times in 15 years, the last time I was sent to prison. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop. I tried AA, rehab. Eventually 13 months ago I did another detox, only this time I was given Acamprosate after my detox. I haven't had 1 craving for alcohol in 13 months. I stopped taking it 2 months ago and I still don't have any cravings. This is a miracle. Please give it a try if you are suffering with alcoholism.”

Jenn December 20, 2018

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I see from other reviews this medicine seems to work 100% or not at all. I'm in the lucky category, along with my husband who is taking it too. We are 37 and 40 years old and have been highly functioning heavy drinkers for the last ~ 10 years. We regularly have 3 - 6 drinks a day on weekdays and maybe 5 to 8 drinks on weekend days. We started taking Campral just a few days ago, and I feel like a different person already. Miraculously, it takes the desire to drink away completely. I can hardly explain it. I went to a restaurant today where people were enjoying martinis and wine all around me, and I wasn't the least bit tempted. Nighttime has historically been difficult when trying to quit, and we have not had any desire to drink. It's a miracle for us, and I'm excited to see how much our life will change in the coming months, as alcohol has been the center of our universe for a long time. I can't recommend this enough for anyone feeling dependent on alcohol. Good luck to all.”

wigbilly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have been taking six 333mg Campral daily and have so far been sober for 270 days. For the first few weeks I was sceptical but trust me after a month you won't look back. Not only is it so easy to refuse a drink, I just don't feel like one. Since 9 months ago when I had my last drink I've lost 20kg just from the lack of extra bad carbs and sugars. I feel amazing and I thank the campral for turning my life around. I drunk about 10-15 units daily for years. Not a massive drinker but a regular one (like most Aussies). I needed to give up but failed every time. Campral has made it so easy and I don't even think about drinking. If you're reading this and doing research I 100% recommend you see a doc and see about going on campral. You won't look back. Only $38 a month in Australia too...”

Amy July 19, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “After many years in and out of ana and relapsing and huge consequences due to my drinking. I can now say I literally do not feel like having a drink. Even the thought is just passing. I’ve noticed also I’m losing weight. And not wanting to smoke as much. I feel more upbeat. I do listen to AA meetings in the evening. It disheartens me to so many people struggling and this is like a miracle cure to get a big chunk of sobriety in the beginning of being sober. It wouldn’t surprise me if the alcohol companies have invested in keeping this quiet. A very good modern drug. I recommend it to anyone who is struggling in early recovery”

Comeagain · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have been a very heavy drinker for 20yrs, a bottle of vodka a day, I would get withdrawal seizures and tried detox and rehab several times. The first couple of times I was put on campral, I could feel the effects of the cravings going away but mind over matter made me pick up the drink. Now, I guess it's different for some people, I can so much easier refuse a drink as I'm happier to sit with my emotions than go there, and if I was not on campral I don't believe it would be possible and definitely nowhere near as easy for me. I thoroughly recommend it if you are willing to try anything to get your life back or some form of normality, and not use of alcohol for a crutch, campral will help immensely. Best of luck to is all”

Chris santell · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2014

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “Having been a serious and functioning alcoholic for many years I finally hit rock bottom both health wise, and family wise, I ruptured blood vessels in my throat and almost drowned in my own blood, this was due to the amount of alcohol I was drinking.... the doctors told my wife I would not make it through the weekend.. I pulled through, I called my Dr to see if there was anything to kill the cravings. Campral was prescribed. I have been clean almost a month now. No cravings. For the first time I have my life back. More people need to be informed of this medication. If you are questioning yourself... give it a try. I did! It truly has saved my life and my marriage. I hope this helps someone. Good luck.”

SickinNY · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2020

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “Campral truly is a miracle drug for me. I had 20 years sober. 12 step meetings kept me clean. However, I went through serious health issues, a bad divorce and subsequent abusive relationship. I drank in 2018, but within a month of drinking I ended up in the ER, which motivated me to stay sober for 2 months. Drank again almost against my will! I was prescribed Antabuse and Campral...stayed sober another few months. I stopped taking the Campral, mostly because my crappy Medicare didn't cover my monthly script, which was $100. I wasn't going to meetings either. I know the Campral worked. I could walk by a liquor store and have no interest going in. I quit again because of my health and family. Only problem is it took a week to work. I'd take Antabuse but, like with the Campral, Medicare expects me to pay $90/month. I am committed to taking the Campral. It's been 5 days no drink. I don't have the desire. Only side effect I had was occasional diarrhea.”

Pup2015 October 30, 2015

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “From the first day I took Campral I started to forget about drinking. It's now been a week and I've lost all desire. Just looking at alcohol or people drinking it is a complete turn off. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of red wine every night and i've seen been a huge turn around in my mood (and life) since taking Campral in a very short time. I did a lot of reading about the drug including reading comments in this forum before starting it and it really does work well. If you need some time to press the pause button this will help give you some strength and clarity to get on with life.”

Patchy · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I was told Campral would take 5-8 days to start working for my alcohol issues. It took all 8 days to notice the reduction in cravings & it was very tough that first week to white-knuckle through the drinking urges. Previously I had started Campral but not made it a full week many times before, making a waste of the expensive attempts that only lasted 3, 4 or 5 days on previous tries. But this time I made it to 8 days, and I definitely notice that the urge to drink has decreased and is finally manageable. I don’t quite have cravings at this point, more like longings, almost of nostalgia for the escape. But alcohol was killing me and I am finally at a place where I can manage the desire and not give in to it. I credit Campral for that. The downsides have been the high cost (my insurance covers it partially) and the length of time til it worked for me. But previously I tried Antabuse and Naltrexone and those ultimately failed. Campral seems like it could work. Good luck to everyone who needs this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2019

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “This is my third day and I am impressed. I have been a heavy drinker (1-2 bottles of wine per day) for the last 20 years. Before Campral I was constantly having withdrawal symptoms of severe anxiety, depression, guilt of not doing anything right and not recalling anything at all- my memory was shot! It’s only day 3 but I feel good: less anxious, not shaky. I do sweat lots at night but that is it. So far, it is great. I hope I can get my memory back and stay sober. Good luck to all.”

jmuney · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2018

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “For me the old-fashioned, puritanical "Alcoholics-Anonymous" approach is a joke. There IS medication for alcoholism. Alcoholism is a genetic thing...not a lack of character development. Take this medicine - it actually works!!!!!”

Vodka no more · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “After being a heavy drinker for 20 years my life was running out of control. AA didn't work for me I tried 1 on 1 counselling. Didn't help, I'd relapse after two weeks. Finally did my own research and suggested campral to my doc. He contacted my counsellor and we began it July 2015. I wish I'd found this years ago! It seemed to work immediately, no cravings or desire to drink. Did have bad diarrhoea for first six weeks, so push through it, it's worth it. Just gone to my gp for my final script, and will celebrate my first year sober in July 2016! My gp also said the counsellor didn't think I could do it, and my gp is so happy he's going to contact her and tell her about my success. When your at rock bottom give it a go! It's saved my life!”

Dry and happy now · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2015

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have drank 3 bottles of wine a night for a long time gained 3 stone and decided I need to quit drinking get fit and loose weight. Nothing works better than this tablet I don't even want a drink it's amazing”

Vodka no more · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: “I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!”