User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Alcohol Dependence 151 reviews 7 medications

8.8
Summary of Acamprosate reviews 151 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Acamprosate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been on acamprosate for a few days to prevent a relapse. I don't get cravings, but after being on this, I don't get cravings for anything. I have lost all interest in everything and have no motivation. I am tired, nauseous and dizzy and have no desire to do absolutely anything. Please tell me this goes away."

Stuart321 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I lost everything after 35 years hard drinking.Went to rehabs and AA. I don't want to tell everyone I'm an alcoholic every day when I try to put things past tense. 3 days on campral and yep its gold. sober 4 months and hey a bit of diarrhea ; but at least I can remember pooping myself. Lets do it. Shane"

shane o August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "All be honest I took this and nothing maybe it's all the other meds I take but took this for alcohol and drank alcohol while on it And nothing felt no reduced cravings"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking campral 5 weeks ago (with some Valium for first week or so to help with withdrawal). So far I haven't had a drink and for the first time ever have not had to struggle relentlessly to stay sober. The first week was a bit rocky but nowhere as difficult as the many times before I have tried (unsuccessfully) to quit. I have not been thinking about alcohol all the time nor having to "talk myself down" from buying any as I haven't had major cravings which is amazing! After doing some research I asked my doctor to include baclofen a couple of weeks ago. It is apparently showing some promise for anticraving. It also seems to help me stay calm/ less anxious. Very grateful for these meds and wish I had known about them before."

Arowan (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I am just checking in again. I started campral and naltrexone last fall after drinking for years, failing the traditional in-patient treatment/AA way...... I am now nearly 10 months without a drink. I don't really crave alcohol. Occasionally a stressful situation will come up and I will think about drinking, but that passes quickly because I just don't have the cravings or desire. My life is so fulfilling. It's not without it's challenges, which is why I have regular counselling in order to recognize and deal with what issues I let alcohol take care of. I truly do wake up thankful for this relief."

pbs1boone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on this before and it works. The thing is if you take this for a week, then you slip in a drink...you will not feel that intoxication that you crave and are addicted to. This drug also keeps a person from feeling the euphoria associated with opioids."

WineAddict (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I was immediately put on the suggested 333mg x2 tabs-three times a day ..as soon as I started my community Detox; which included Librium. It is early days here BUT the change in me is enormous. I drank since 20...a "binge drinker" or so I thought!!. I was unable to Stop. I'm Lucky to be alive . Once a car I was in went over a precipice but still I craved the alcohol. The craving was pure hell. Now at 56-I feel finally freed out a prison of craving something that would have killed me . THANK YOU CAMPRAL. People In AA had given up on me and I'd given up too...till Campral. "

Happy and Free (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Absolutely amazing I am 60 and been a heavy drinker all my life At least one to one and a half bottles of wine per nite Two or three bottles per day on a weekend plus beer or anything else if I was out After I started taking this I noticed the difference the very next day Within a few days I was having alcohol free days Within 3 weeks I was going for a week or more without a drink but started drinking a lot of mineral water At 6 weeks I was not even thinking about alcohol After 4 mths I stopped the tablets At six mths I have no craving at all If I am out with friends I will have a red wine occasionally and stop ( could not do this previously )might have a red once every 10 days or so but am completely in control I am still absolutely astounded how well they worked for me"

A1111 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Its helping me NOT to eat"

Dace (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "My partner has been a heavy drinker for over 5 years now, and within the last 12 months it officially began to get out of control, leading him into the hospital 3 times for an acute attack of pancreatitis. It got to the point where I was going to leave him cause he just wouldn't stop. He also lost his license from drink driving and almost went to jail because of it. It got up to him drinking 700ml-1lt of scotch every day AND going out on top of it before he decided he wanted help. At first he promised me he could ween himself off on his own (don't they all), and obviously he wasn't successful. So his doctor put him on Campral. It has been 9 days now and he has had 1 beer with dinner. He says he just doesn't have the desire to drink anymore."

Mange87 May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "My Dr prescribed this medication at my request and it has helped me considerably. I used to drink every day around that "happy hour" time. I would drink hard alcohol of my choice for that week. I drank about 6-8 shot per night. I have been on Campral a week shy of two months. I have drank on two occasions but did not have the urge to drink it was a matter of just wanting a drink and seeing how Campral will work after the fact. I did not feel the urge to keep drinking the days after I drank on these two occasions. This medication works wonders for me and my family. They have me back. I recommend you try it out. I feel no side affects taking Campral. I can't even tell I have added this medication to my daily meds. Kim"

KimmyBelle May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been relapsing since I started drinking 10 years ago. I tried Campral, but didn't bother to take it as prescribed, often forgetting. After my 3rd rehab, and years of AA and counselling, this has been the most amazing medication I've ever taken. I had zero hope it would work, given it didn't before (again, even tho I forgot to take it sometimes), but it has been a miracle. I mean a miracle. I can walk through the grocery store, see the liquor area, and not be have any desire to drink. I have a three particular triggers I cannot avoid, and have always relapsed due to them. However, I no longer feel the desire to drink now when experiencing them. I go to counselling and DBT, but nothing worked before. Do yourself a favor and try it."

Jennavz May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been a binge drinker on and off for several years. "

LIttleun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Only 1 week on this 1 pill 3 times a day. I haven't drank anything, but I haven't been in any situations that I would drink yet. I'm a binge drinker. At home I don't drink at all. If I'm out at a casino or bowling I'll go nuts and forget what happens the next day."

ChuckF608 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hello, I have been a "functioning alcoholic" for 20 years. Drinking a bottle of wine a day. I have tried Naltrexone twice but each time was unable to tolerate the side effects of nausea and dizziness and did not continue treatment. For the times I was able to take Naltrexone, it did not curb my consumption and I easily drank right through it. Presently, I am trying Campral but also find it ineffective for cravings - even though I take the recommended dosage of 333mg x 2, three times daily. I have been taking for some time now and still experience the same level of cravings. I do not experience any side effects from this medication nor an accelerated hangovers."

39yofemale April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others."

pbs1boone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Campral worked as prescribed for me, it gives me relief from the cravings, I didn't feel it was working until I realised that for the first time in years I had reached two weeks with out a drink, the habitual side of drinking is powerful and every time I was triggered it felt on par with a craving. My advice, keep with the Campral even if you feel its not working, give it time, let it do its thing, it will alleviate the cravings which will give you some breathing space to work on the habit itself, my synopsis, Campral will help with half the battle the rest needs counselling, will power and time. Side effects minimal for me, Campral is an excellent tool to stay on the road to recovery, one in my opinion not recommended enough."

Wintyr February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking 8 days ago and have not wanted to drink. I have thought about it a couple times but I didn't. I drank every night for 34 yrs before that"

Hutch1962 January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "At 55 yrs I have been an alcoholic all of my adult life. Drank copious amounts of vodka for 3 yrs then attended rehab for 3 months plus together with AA stayed sober for 18 yrs. Then 3 yrs ago picked up again due to family stress & found it impossible to get sober again even with the help of AA. Found out about Acamprosate from a drop in center, have been taking this incredible drug for 2 weeks now & have absolutely no desire to drink what so ever, I have even given up smoking at the same time. From someone who consumed anywhere from a half to a full bottle of vodka & 20-40 cigarettes on a daily basis. I have a whole new life thanks to this drug...thankyou Acamprosate. Happy happy happy."

Done&dusted January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Well I have been taking Campral for two weeks now I have not noted any difference I still drink the same amount of beer each day the only thing I have found is I tend to sleep longer in the morning and Find it hard to get motivated."

Crankey December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "For 20 years I depended on alcohol as a crutch whenever I was faced with a challenge. One day, after puking in the toilet for an hour, I decided enough is enough. I switched to heroin. That lasted for about 3 years until I was thrown in jail for driving under the influence. I decided that it was time to start giving my money to big pharmaceutical companies instead of drug dealers, and I was determined to stay clean. I'm a professor at a major university with various prestigious accolades. I was living a double life. Teaching students classical greek by day, needles and whiskey at night. Thank you Campral."

Dtalks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I wish that I had the same testimonial as everyone else, but I really have not seen any significant reduction in alcohol cravings. I was so hopeful that this would be the end of this miserable disease."

CL70 December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Recommended dosage was too high for me. I had severe side effects."

Sophiejake199 December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been binge drinking heavily with severe social and financial cost for nearly a decade now and used acamprosate for just under a year (the reason I perservered for so long is because I thought it would finally kick in and start working). Maybe it works more for people who drink more regularly but it really made no difference to any cravings I have for alcohol. Good luck to those who it does work for and I really am glad for you, but unfortunately for me it was a waste of time and money- I'm going to go back to my GP and ask to be put on Revia and hopefully that will work better for me"

User6D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 years and still don't know why I began abusing alcohol. I started taking Campral a week ago and have had absolutely no cravings or desire to drink. I asked my MD what she recommended to help and Capral was her solution. I can not believe how effective or fast it worked. I have had no side effects at all other than a loss of appetite."

Captain M (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016