User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Alcohol Dependence 128 reviews 7 medications

8.9
Summary of Acamprosate reviews 128 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Acamprosate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been binge drinking heavily with severe social and financial cost for nearly a decade now and used acamprosate for just under a year (the reason I perservered for so long is because I thought it would finally kick in and start working). Maybe it works more for people who drink more regularly but it really made no difference to any cravings I have for alcohol. Good luck to those who it does work for and I really am glad for you, but unfortunately for me it was a waste of time and money- I'm going to go back to my GP and ask to be put on Revia and hopefully that will work better for me"

User6D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 years and still don't know why I began abusing alcohol. I started taking Campral a week ago and have had absolutely no cravings or desire to drink. I asked my MD what she recommended to help and Capral was her solution. I can not believe how effective or fast it worked. I have had no side effects at all other than a loss of appetite."

Captain M (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "After attempting and failing AA over and over for one year, failing treatment four times, I decided that I had to investigate something other than AA. No one EVER told me, including my counselor, that Campral was an alternative. I have been on it for a month and the cravings are gone and I only THINK occasionally about alcohol, and then it is with ambivalence. I wish I had know about this sooner. Hats off to those that can stay sober in AA. It was not for me. I am in counseling and am doing better than I have in my life. HAPPY!!"

elbaco November 7, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "A few comments regarding my and others' experiences here. I have been on campral three times over the last 15 years so have a bit of experience here. This is not a magic bullet. If you are not seeing a professional d and a counsellor for at least a year after detox you will set yourself up for relapse. You will need to be on this for at least a year to allow your counselling and brain to kick into recovery. Don't fool yourself that once your cravings magically disappear that you are cured. It takes dedication to stay out of the trap and the middle aged coffin. If you do relapse (read fool yourself that controlled drinking is possible for an alcoholic) keep taking the campral, double your counselling and pour the rest in the sink."

Ufe November 4, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been a functioning alcoholic for 15 years and started this drug a few weeks ago. So far, combined with venlafaxine 75 and mirtazapine 30, I feel quite good and hopeful for the future. Alcohol craving is virtually zero currently. I would love, if anyone comes back to this thread after a previous review, to follow up on how they are now, vs how they were when they first started taking it. For me personally, it seems to be working, but I am very curious about the so called placebo effect. Any thoughts?"

Jaysoft7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "This medication is amazing! I've battled depression & anxiety all my adult life (30 years). I used alcohol periodically to self medicate and could & would stop in the past. I was drinking a 5th of vodka nightly for over a year & was unable to stop due to withdrawals. I reached a point where I knew I needed help. My liver enzymes were consistently elevated, I was extremely overweight, & the depression & anxiety had grown so severe that I felt suicidal. After a 3 week tapering off using Librium, I was still craving alcohol. But after the 1st day of taking Campral, I have yet to crave alcohol. Its been 2 weeks...l've walked every day and lost 12 lbs. Campral combined w/counseling and support; feeling healthier and hopeful than ever!"

Hjg3rd (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've abused alcohol over 15yrs and it was a major factor in my divorce. I drank a 5th of vodka everyday. I finally realized the damage that alcoholism had done to my personal life. I tried Naltrexone, counselling, etc. but I'd relapse. After seeing my frustration, my psychiatrist prescribed Campral, my cravings diminished then stopped within 20min after my 1st dose. For the 1st time, I felt in control. I went home and poured $250 of vodka down the sink. This medication has changed my life dramatically and it gets better everyday. Feeling the cravings leave was absolutely amazing. I'll take this the rest of my life if have to."

Gamer21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Battled booze for 25 years and had some times of sobriety because always went back to quiet that craving - will power was not enough. After taking my first dose of Campral, I felt better than I had in years! The craving disappeared and the oppression in my head that kept telling me to take a shot also disappeared! I wish I had known about this drug years ago. The craving was a real thing and I discovered the years of drinking had actually altered the chemistry of my brain. Campral fixed that. I have been sober for 3 months with NO desire to drink. I will take this as long as needed. Original price was $220 a month but now down to $53 a month. The website goodRX.com gives the best prices - regardless of insurance. Miracle Drug! Highly recomm"

COSoccerMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "ive been taking campral for 3 years off and on i keep drinking for the first week then i just dont want it anymore and if i do have a drink i lose intrest right away like in 3 beers just dont want the booze but theres a catch as soon as i stop taking the pills the cravings come back might have to take the stuff for life but its better than being in the hospital all the time"

loggerdude (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!"

Vodka no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've battled with booze for 20 years ten years ago started taking revia was taking it wrong started drinking than took the pill felt weird as hell quit/ next time take naltrexone monday though thursday no drinking get tanked on weekends lasted 3 months/ had 4 captain and cokes had my son in car decided to race aferrari 110 mph in a 30 mph zone hated myself. spent $ 1200 got a shot of vivitrol stayed sober for 34 days really worked started back easy got up to a handle every 3 days was outta control went to detox .day i got out had campral in medicine cabinet take 2 pills in morning 2 pills at 5pm 2,5 mg valium and 5mg valium at 9pm been sober for four months lost 25 pounds everybody notices the difference trust me this really works and its easy"

stubborn as hell July 21, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I was Beer dependant for 7 years,my consumption was getting to a carton every 2 days.I started Campral on the advise of my councillor,worked wonderfully.I found myself going whole afternoons without the thought of a beer,my life turned around.Then,after 2 months, I went to a new doctor for some bloods & general health check,my B/P was down,and although some damage through excessive drinking,all could be repaired.Then the kicker came,she told me Campral was a placebo.It changed my whole perspective and I started drinking again,just a 6 pack every night.I know this will get out of control quickly,I want to start Campral again,but I'm afraid the seed has been laid."

miss lippy July 17, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been sober 2 years + 1 month. I wonder how many people are on it this long? How do I wean off of it? I don't want to take it forever."

Deenie Dare July 17, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "After being a heavy drinker for 20 years my life was running out of control. AA didn't work for me I tried 1 on 1 counselling. Didn't help, I'd relapse after two weeks. Finally did my own research and suggested campral to my doc. He contacted my counsellor and we began it July 2015. I wish I'd found this years ago! It seemed to work immediately, no cravings or desire to drink. Did have bad diarrhoea for first six weeks, so push through it, it's worth it. Just gone to my gp for my final script, and will celebrate my first year sober in July 2016! My gp also said the counsellor didn't think I could do it, and my gp is so happy he's going to contact her and tell her about my success. When your at rock bottom give it a go! It's saved my life!"

Vodka no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Since taking campral I have had no cravings for alcohol"

Wojo 79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on this now for just over 3 weeks and I can honestly say I have not had 1 single craving it is a miricle drug that I had never heard I till I was asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted to try it. The 1 down side to it for me is I have a very bad memory now I yak it amd was told about the side affects and they said memory function problems was the most seriois side affect but do you know what I don't care about the memory problems cos I have got my life back and I can as I have NEVER been happier then I am now. The stuff is amazing"

don't drink May 21, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been going to AA mtgs for 2 yrs and have relapsed over and over again. I finally ask my doctor if there was anything I could try to help me stay sober- well she prescribed acomprosate and I've had not had the desire to pick up a drink... It is working for me.... However I do 3-4 AA mtgs... I thank my Higher Power and science for finding such an awesome medicine... I recommend it to those who are still drinking and want to find a way to remain stopped . You have nothing to loose and a new life to gain. Well my experience"

Roo Roo (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have only been taking acamprosate for about a week now but it works very well so far! It really quiets that craving and urge that makes you want to drink. If you're suffering or think you're on the way to becoming addicted, i highly suggest asking your doctor about acamprosate. You will feel normal again and not worrying about when your next drink will be, which becomes tiring. Im thankful my doctor perscribed this and for the people who invented it."

me1234567890 May 18, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Very positive only 5 days into the 3 capsules per day I have not felt myself and since I stopped drinking 4 years ago after drinking for 20 years very heavily. Since then I have had a relapse around about every 4 months. Since taking this I feel much more, less anxious and more positive about life and feel more switched on and welcoming with phone conversations and also in person. Did I save the best for last? Yes I have zero cravings !!! The feeling of this reminds me of my first drink but with no negative at the end of it. Highly recommended and as other reviews on here have said I'm sure this drug has the potential to close down many rehab facilities."

Chrisinoz (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "Originally I didn't give this drug a serious try. I thought it was some placebo and I didn't take it seriously. After a massive relapse I decided to really put for the effort and take it 3x a day. I'm so glad I did. I have so much power over alcohol now. I've been sober for 8 months. I work around booze everyday and I'm around serious alcoholics at my job and I don't ever even think about it. I wish I could kiss the makers of this drug. They gave me my life back. They gave my kids a mother and my kitchen an awesome chef!"

Elizabethnydam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been on Campral about 10 days and this drug does work..really work..zero cravings. I was drinking a liter of Vodka a day. I was in rehabs from August 2015 to February 2016 (and relapsed when I got out) and not one of the psychiatrist at the rehabs mentioned Campral.The reason they don't is because they know it works and just want to take your money to pay for the rehab because if you don't they are out of a job. Save your money on rehabs and ask your doc for Campral instead. I am 43 years old and have been an alcoholic a majority of my adult life. I feel like I have my life back and everyone sees a change in me and best of all I do too! The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know about this drug years ago,but glad i do now."

Sonja 2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been a heavy drinker for over 20 years (usually strong cider abv 7.5%) and at times was getting through up to 90 units a day (around 12 litres). I had a seizure in 2013 for which I was in hospital for 8 days detox. I was prescribed Librium and was abstinent for 6 months. The doctor took me off Librium after that 6 months and put me on Campral. Unfortunately it didn't do any good and I started drinking almost immediately. Now, 3 years later, and still have alcohol issues. I have been hospitalised 3 times in the last 4 months. It has been suggested that I take Antabuse or Naltrexone. Has anyone else had similar issues?"

Sean D March 31, 2016

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "Have been on campral for a month now. Was a beer and wine drinker averaging 9-10 standard drinks daily for 45 years but had an unrelated condition and although not pushed in any way by my doctor, wanted to cut down usual alcohol intake be to see if there was any difference. Campral virtually stopped drinking desire straight away but made no difference to other condition so grog not the problem for latter. However am still on campral and it seems the longer you're on it the greater the positive effect it has. Can now have 3-4 stubbies slowly then just lose interest. Can take it or leave now but good thing was that 3-4 stubbies (normal strength) are still enjoyable but that's it - no more and had -enough. Very happy and no side effects"

Youngone2 December 26, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "35 years old...1 week in...I'm not experiencing the fatigue and nausea associated w/ naltrexone. No desire to drink--I feel like something is wrong. I wish I was prescribed this ten years ago."

Tim H. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2015

Campral (acamprosate) for Alcohol Dependence: "I was prescribed campral after almost dying from drinking a liter of vodka a day every day and being hospitalized. It worked miracles! Made me look at alcohol like something I wouldn't want to eat..%u2026I thought I was cured so I stopped. But it's a lifetime drug. I was sober for two years , then had a normal life, and start celebrating Halloween drank a few beers..that turned into liters , and I was back in the hospital,, worse this time, now I've had jaundice for over a month, feeling better...leg muscles are deteriorated from being in the hospital and needing rest for so long. I got very lucky!!!! So if you take campral, keep. Taking it it takes time to get into your system to work give it a month or two. "

Alicelove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next