User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Acamprosate Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 10 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Acamprosate to treat Alcohol Dependence

Campral (acamprosate): "I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!"

Vodka no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I've battled with booze for 20 years ten years ago started taking revia was taking it wrong started drinking than took the pill felt weird as hell quit/ next time take naltrexone monday though thursday no drinking get tanked on weekends lasted 3 months/ had 4 captain and cokes had my son in car decided to race aferrari 110 mph in a 30 mph zone hated myself. spent $ 1200 got a shot of vivitrol stayed sober for 34 days really worked started back easy got up to a handle every 3 days was outta control went to detox .day i got out had campral in medicine cabinet take 2 pills in morning 2 pills at 5pm 2,5 mg valium and 5mg valium at 9pm been sober for four months lost 25 pounds everybody notices the difference trust me this really works and its easy"

stubborn as hell July 21, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I was Beer dependant for 7 years,my consumption was getting to a carton every 2 days.I started Campral on the advise of my councillor,worked wonderfully.I found myself going whole afternoons without the thought of a beer,my life turned around.Then,after 2 months, I went to a new doctor for some bloods & general health check,my B/P was down,and although some damage through excessive drinking,all could be repaired.Then the kicker came,she told me Campral was a placebo.It changed my whole perspective and I started drinking again,just a 6 pack every night.I know this will get out of control quickly,I want to start Campral again,but I'm afraid the seed has been laid."

miss lippy July 17, 2016

"I have been sober 2 years + 1 month. I wonder how many people are on it this long? How do I wean off of it? I don't want to take it forever."

Deenie Dare July 17, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "After being a heavy drinker for 20 years my life was running out of control. AA didn't work for me I tried 1 on 1 counselling. Didn't help, I'd relapse after two weeks. Finally did my own research and suggested campral to my doc. He contacted my counsellor and we began it July 2015. I wish I'd found this years ago! It seemed to work immediately, no cravings or desire to drink. Did have bad diarrhoea for first six weeks, so push through it, it's worth it. Just gone to my gp for my final script, and will celebrate my first year sober in July 2016! My gp also said the counsellor didn't think I could do it, and my gp is so happy he's going to contact her and tell her about my success. When your at rock bottom give it a go! It's saved my life!"

Vodka no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "Since taking campral I have had no cravings for alcohol"

Wojo 79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I've been on this now for just over 3 weeks and I can honestly say I have not had 1 single craving it is a miricle drug that I had never heard I till I was asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted to try it. The 1 down side to it for me is I have a very bad memory now I yak it amd was told about the side affects and they said memory function problems was the most seriois side affect but do you know what I don't care about the memory problems cos I have got my life back and I can as I have NEVER been happier then I am now. The stuff is amazing"

don't drink May 21, 2016

"I've been going to AA mtgs for 2 yrs and have relapsed over and over again. I finally ask my doctor if there was anything I could try to help me stay sober- well she prescribed acomprosate and I've had not had the desire to pick up a drink... It is working for me.... However I do 3-4 AA mtgs... I thank my Higher Power and science for finding such an awesome medicine... I recommend it to those who are still drinking and want to find a way to remain stopped . You have nothing to loose and a new life to gain. Well my experience"

Roo Roo (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

"I have only been taking acamprosate for about a week now but it works very well so far! It really quiets that craving and urge that makes you want to drink. If you're suffering or think you're on the way to becoming addicted, i highly suggest asking your doctor about acamprosate. You will feel normal again and not worrying about when your next drink will be, which becomes tiring. Im thankful my doctor perscribed this and for the people who invented it."

me1234567890 May 18, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "Very positive only 5 days into the 3 capsules per day I have not felt myself and since I stopped drinking 4 years ago after drinking for 20 years very heavily. Since then I have had a relapse around about every 4 months. Since taking this I feel much more, less anxious and more positive about life and feel more switched on and welcoming with phone conversations and also in person. Did I save the best for last? Yes I have zero cravings !!! The feeling of this reminds me of my first drink but with no negative at the end of it. Highly recommended and as other reviews on here have said I'm sure this drug has the potential to close down many rehab facilities."

Chrisinoz (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

"Originally I didn't give this drug a serious try. I thought it was some placebo and I didn't take it seriously. After a massive relapse I decided to really put for the effort and take it 3x a day. I'm so glad I did. I have so much power over alcohol now. I've been sober for 8 months. I work around booze everyday and I'm around serious alcoholics at my job and I don't ever even think about it. I wish I could kiss the makers of this drug. They gave me my life back. They gave my kids a mother and my kitchen an awesome chef!"

Elizabethnydam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been on Campral about 10 days and this drug does work..really work..zero cravings. I was drinking a liter of Vodka a day. I was in rehabs from August 2015 to February 2016 (and relapsed when I got out) and not one of the psychiatrist at the rehabs mentioned Campral.The reason they don't is because they know it works and just want to take your money to pay for the rehab because if you don't they are out of a job. Save your money on rehabs and ask your doc for Campral instead. I am 43 years old and have been an alcoholic a majority of my adult life. I feel like I have my life back and everyone sees a change in me and best of all I do too! The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know about this drug years ago,but glad i do now."

Sonja 2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been a heavy drinker for over 20 years (usually strong cider abv 7.5%) and at times was getting through up to 90 units a day (around 12 litres). I had a seizure in 2013 for which I was in hospital for 8 days detox. I was prescribed Librium and was abstinent for 6 months. The doctor took me off Librium after that 6 months and put me on Campral. Unfortunately it didn't do any good and I started drinking almost immediately. Now, 3 years later, and still have alcohol issues. I have been hospitalised 3 times in the last 4 months. It has been suggested that I take Antabuse or Naltrexone. Has anyone else had similar issues?"

Sean D March 31, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "Have been on campral for a month now. Was a beer and wine drinker averaging 9-10 standard drinks daily for 45 years but had an unrelated condition and although not pushed in any way by my doctor, wanted to cut down usual alcohol intake be to see if there was any difference. Campral virtually stopped drinking desire straight away but made no difference to other condition so grog not the problem for latter. However am still on campral and it seems the longer you're on it the greater the positive effect it has. Can now have 3-4 stubbies slowly then just lose interest. Can take it or leave now but good thing was that 3-4 stubbies (normal strength) are still enjoyable but that's it - no more and had -enough. Very happy and no side effects"

Youngone2 December 26, 2015

"35 years old...1 week in...I'm not experiencing the fatigue and nausea associated w/ naltrexone. No desire to drink--I feel like something is wrong. I wish I was prescribed this ten years ago."

Tim H. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was prescribed campral after almost dying from drinking a liter of vodka a day every day and being hospitalized. It worked miracles! Made me look at alcohol like something I wouldn't want to eat..%u2026I thought I was cured so I stopped. But it's a lifetime drug. I was sober for two years , then had a normal life, and start celebrating Halloween drank a few beers..that turned into liters , and I was back in the hospital,, worse this time, now I've had jaundice for over a month, feeling better...leg muscles are deteriorated from being in the hospital and needing rest for so long. I got very lucky!!!! So if you take campral, keep. Taking it it takes time to get into your system to work give it a month or two. "

Alicelove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "From the first day I took Campral I started to forget about drinking. It's now been a week and I've lost all desire. Just looking at alcohol or people drinking it is a complete turn off. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of red wine every night and i've seen been a huge turn around in my mood (and life) since taking Campral in a very short time. I did a lot of reading about the drug including reading comments in this forum before starting it and it really does work well. If you need some time to press the pause button this will help give you some strength and clarity to get on with life."

Pup2015 October 30, 2015

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "Well after 64 days sober, I had a relapse. Really wasnt proud of myself, now been on campral a few days and so far so good. I found vthis excellent in my 64 day sobriety so I know it works for me. Now to stick to it and sort out my anxiety which triggers my drink binges. Fingers crossed guys and good luck to all of you trying to stick to sobriety."

haylesmcl (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am sorry to say that this did not work for me. I was so desperate that I got a prescription for antabuse. Now that baby works. Believe you and me if you consume alcohol on this, you will never again do it. But this tablet is not for the fainthearted! Read about on it. I wish everyone luck on this forum but unfortunately campral did not work for me but there are plenty of people it does help so don't feel disheartened on just my review.xx "

Euch October 12, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "On September 6th, 2015 I have been sober for one year. I could not have accomplished this without Campral. My GP, who is an American, is very surprised to find it not more widely in use in Canada. It has saved my life - which I have stated in my previous two reports. I am now taking Campral every one other day - one tablet in the morning - and will, with the support of my GP, continue doing that for about 3 months. I want to be sure that I have no temptation to take a drink. I know that there are others who have had dependency issues who feel that they can return to "controlled drinking", but that is not for me. I know full well that one SIP of wine will take me back to where I was. I will not tempt myself and breach my success!"

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I have drank 3 bottles of wine a night for a long time gained 3 stone and decided I need to quit drinking get fit and loose weight. Nothing works better than this tablet I don't even want a drink it's amazing"

Dry and happy now (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I had been to many rehabs, tried the whole AA thing. Nothing worked. I was drinking a slab of beer per day 4 many years b4 i realised that I need to do something... I was running a successful 300k p/y company but was so busy that I just never had the time to either cut back nor stop drinking.. I made the extreme decision to quit my business and take time off so that I could concentrate on quitting. I just went to my gp and told him my situation, I requested Campral . I stayed on it for 8months 6 tablets per day and never drank once. That was 3 years ago now I now have social drinks without any issues. AA isn't for everyone and don't be daunted by the fact you will never drink again :) Controlled drinking does work if you make it work."

Jake7676 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "This drug works! This is going to sound hard to believe but from the first dose of this medicine I have not had a single craving for alcohol. I have been drinking for some 40 years and heavily for the last 10. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at the results. That said, the side effects have been a little tough. I'm only a week in but the diarrhea has been an issue for about an hour after each dosage. I am hoping that will end in the next day or so."

John_Midtown June 24, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this April 2015. I have not even had an urge to drink at all in these past months. No noticeable side effects."

Mrs. MEDINA June 22, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "Only one week in and this is the first time in over 20 year's that I haven't had a drink, surprisingly feeling positive but now aware of why I was drinking. Time to put rest of my life in order and this is the first time it's felt possible. If your sat reading thinking could it work then I would definitely give it a try, I feel like I'm getting my life back. Just hoping this is long term."

sober Dave (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015