User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Acamprosate Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Acamprosate to treat Alcohol Dependence

Campral (acamprosate): "I tried and tried the AA way and it just didn't work. I was told over and over to attempt treatment and I did, four times. Treatment is extremely overrated. I finally took it upon myself to investigate other options and discovered acamprosate and naltrexone. I am now 5 months without drinking and am so, so happy. I have regular counselling and discovered that AA cannot address the underlying reasons why a person drinks...in my case, PTSD. AA made me feel like a huge failure. I am aggravated that over a one year period no one even thought to offer me the option to take these meds. I am on a mission now to share my successful experience with these drugs with others."

pbs1boone (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "Campral worked as prescribed for me, it gives me relief from the cravings, I didn't feel it was working until I realised that for the first time in years I had reached two weeks with out a drink, the habitual side of drinking is powerful and every time I was triggered it felt on par with a craving. My advice, keep with the Campral even if you feel its not working, give it time, let it do its thing, it will alleviate the cravings which will give you some breathing space to work on the habit itself, my synopsis, Campral will help with half the battle the rest needs counselling, will power and time. Side effects minimal for me, Campral is an excellent tool to stay on the road to recovery, one in my opinion not recommended enough."

Wintyr February 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I started taking 8 days ago and have not wanted to drink. I have thought about it a couple times but I didn't. I drank every night for 34 yrs before that"

Hutch1962 January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"At 55 yrs I have been an alcoholic all of my adult life. Drank copious amounts of vodka for 3 yrs then attended rehab for 3 months plus together with AA stayed sober for 18 yrs. Then 3 yrs ago picked up again due to family stress & found it impossible to get sober again even with the help of AA. Found out about Acamprosate from a drop in center, have been taking this incredible drug for 2 weeks now & have absolutely no desire to drink what so ever, I have even given up smoking at the same time. From someone who consumed anywhere from a half to a full bottle of vodka & 20-40 cigarettes on a daily basis. I have a whole new life thanks to this drug...thankyou Acamprosate. Happy happy happy."

Done&dusted January 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "Well I have been taking Campral for two weeks now I have not noted any difference I still drink the same amount of beer each day the only thing I have found is I tend to sleep longer in the morning and Find it hard to get motivated."

Crankey December 18, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "For 20 years I depended on alcohol as a crutch whenever I was faced with a challenge. One day, after puking in the toilet for an hour, I decided enough is enough. I switched to heroin. That lasted for about 3 years until I was thrown in jail for driving under the influence. I decided that it was time to start giving my money to big pharmaceutical companies instead of drug dealers, and I was determined to stay clean. I'm a professor at a major university with various prestigious accolades. I was living a double life. Teaching students classical greek by day, needles and whiskey at night. Thank you Campral."

Dtalks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I wish that I had the same testimonial as everyone else, but I really have not seen any significant reduction in alcohol cravings. I was so hopeful that this would be the end of this miserable disease."

CL70 December 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "Recommended dosage was too high for me. I had severe side effects."

Sophiejake199 December 7, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been binge drinking heavily with severe social and financial cost for nearly a decade now and used acamprosate for just under a year (the reason I perservered for so long is because I thought it would finally kick in and start working). Maybe it works more for people who drink more regularly but it really made no difference to any cravings I have for alcohol. Good luck to those who it does work for and I really am glad for you, but unfortunately for me it was a waste of time and money- I'm going to go back to my GP and ask to be put on Revia and hopefully that will work better for me"

User6D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 years and still don't know why I began abusing alcohol. I started taking Campral a week ago and have had absolutely no cravings or desire to drink. I asked my MD what she recommended to help and Capral was her solution. I can not believe how effective or fast it worked. I have had no side effects at all other than a loss of appetite."

Captain M (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"After attempting and failing AA over and over for one year, failing treatment four times, I decided that I had to investigate something other than AA. No one EVER told me, including my counselor, that Campral was an alternative. I have been on it for a month and the cravings are gone and I only THINK occasionally about alcohol, and then it is with ambivalence. I wish I had know about this sooner. Hats off to those that can stay sober in AA. It was not for me. I am in counseling and am doing better than I have in my life. HAPPY!!"

elbaco November 7, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"A few comments regarding my and others' experiences here. I have been on campral three times over the last 15 years so have a bit of experience here. This is not a magic bullet. If you are not seeing a professional d and a counsellor for at least a year after detox you will set yourself up for relapse. You will need to be on this for at least a year to allow your counselling and brain to kick into recovery. Don't fool yourself that once your cravings magically disappear that you are cured. It takes dedication to stay out of the trap and the middle aged coffin. If you do relapse (read fool yourself that controlled drinking is possible for an alcoholic) keep taking the campral, double your counselling and pour the rest in the sink."

Ufe November 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I've been a functioning alcoholic for 15 years and started this drug a few weeks ago. So far, combined with venlafaxine 75 and mirtazapine 30, I feel quite good and hopeful for the future. Alcohol craving is virtually zero currently. I would love, if anyone comes back to this thread after a previous review, to follow up on how they are now, vs how they were when they first started taking it. For me personally, it seems to be working, but I am very curious about the so called placebo effect. Any thoughts?"

Jaysoft7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "This medication is amazing! I've battled depression & anxiety all my adult life (30 years). I used alcohol periodically to self medicate and could & would stop in the past. I was drinking a 5th of vodka nightly for over a year & was unable to stop due to withdrawals. I reached a point where I knew I needed help. My liver enzymes were consistently elevated, I was extremely overweight, & the depression & anxiety had grown so severe that I felt suicidal. After a 3 week tapering off using Librium, I was still craving alcohol. But after the 1st day of taking Campral, I have yet to crave alcohol. Its been 2 weeks...l've walked every day and lost 12 lbs. Campral combined w/counseling and support; feeling healthier and hopeful than ever!"

Hjg3rd (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I've abused alcohol over 15yrs and it was a major factor in my divorce. I drank a 5th of vodka everyday. I finally realized the damage that alcoholism had done to my personal life. I tried Naltrexone, counselling, etc. but I'd relapse. After seeing my frustration, my psychiatrist prescribed Campral, my cravings diminished then stopped within 20min after my 1st dose. For the 1st time, I felt in control. I went home and poured $250 of vodka down the sink. This medication has changed my life dramatically and it gets better everyday. Feeling the cravings leave was absolutely amazing. I'll take this the rest of my life if have to."

Gamer21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "Battled booze for 25 years and had some times of sobriety because always went back to quiet that craving - will power was not enough. After taking my first dose of Campral, I felt better than I had in years! The craving disappeared and the oppression in my head that kept telling me to take a shot also disappeared! I wish I had known about this drug years ago. The craving was a real thing and I discovered the years of drinking had actually altered the chemistry of my brain. Campral fixed that. I have been sober for 3 months with NO desire to drink. I will take this as long as needed. Original price was $220 a month but now down to $53 a month. The website goodRX.com gives the best prices - regardless of insurance. Miracle Drug! Highly recomm"

COSoccerMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "ive been taking campral for 3 years off and on i keep drinking for the first week then i just dont want it anymore and if i do have a drink i lose intrest right away like in 3 beers just dont want the booze but theres a catch as soon as i stop taking the pills the cravings come back might have to take the stuff for life but its better than being in the hospital all the time"

loggerdude (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I wanted to respond to miss lippy. Any gp who tells you it's a "placebo" when it seems to be working for you does not have your best interests at heart. Find another one who will give you positive re enforcement and genuinely try to help you! I've got my story below, and hit my first dry anniversary today. There's no way it's a placebo, I felt different immediately and trust me, "will power" alone couldn't have gotten me this far without campral. If that's the case, I should have been able to kick this years ago. Give it another go, and dis-regard the placebo comment. Some Drs have a negative attitude towards alchoholics and think that if we only tried hard enough, we could do it ourselves. Rubbish. Start it again and let you be the judge!"

Vodka no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I've battled with booze for 20 years ten years ago started taking revia was taking it wrong started drinking than took the pill felt weird as hell quit/ next time take naltrexone monday though thursday no drinking get tanked on weekends lasted 3 months/ had 4 captain and cokes had my son in car decided to race aferrari 110 mph in a 30 mph zone hated myself. spent $ 1200 got a shot of vivitrol stayed sober for 34 days really worked started back easy got up to a handle every 3 days was outta control went to detox .day i got out had campral in medicine cabinet take 2 pills in morning 2 pills at 5pm 2,5 mg valium and 5mg valium at 9pm been sober for four months lost 25 pounds everybody notices the difference trust me this really works and its easy"

stubborn as hell July 21, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I was Beer dependant for 7 years,my consumption was getting to a carton every 2 days.I started Campral on the advise of my councillor,worked wonderfully.I found myself going whole afternoons without the thought of a beer,my life turned around.Then,after 2 months, I went to a new doctor for some bloods & general health check,my B/P was down,and although some damage through excessive drinking,all could be repaired.Then the kicker came,she told me Campral was a placebo.It changed my whole perspective and I started drinking again,just a 6 pack every night.I know this will get out of control quickly,I want to start Campral again,but I'm afraid the seed has been laid."

miss lippy July 17, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been sober 2 years + 1 month. I wonder how many people are on it this long? How do I wean off of it? I don't want to take it forever."

Deenie Dare July 17, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "After being a heavy drinker for 20 years my life was running out of control. AA didn't work for me I tried 1 on 1 counselling. Didn't help, I'd relapse after two weeks. Finally did my own research and suggested campral to my doc. He contacted my counsellor and we began it July 2015. I wish I'd found this years ago! It seemed to work immediately, no cravings or desire to drink. Did have bad diarrhoea for first six weeks, so push through it, it's worth it. Just gone to my gp for my final script, and will celebrate my first year sober in July 2016! My gp also said the counsellor didn't think I could do it, and my gp is so happy he's going to contact her and tell her about my success. When your at rock bottom give it a go! It's saved my life!"

Vodka no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "Since taking campral I have had no cravings for alcohol"

Wojo 79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Campral (acamprosate): "I've been on this now for just over 3 weeks and I can honestly say I have not had 1 single craving it is a miricle drug that I had never heard I till I was asked 4 weeks ago if I wanted to try it. The 1 down side to it for me is I have a very bad memory now I yak it amd was told about the side affects and they said memory function problems was the most seriois side affect but do you know what I don't care about the memory problems cos I have got my life back and I can as I have NEVER been happier then I am now. The stuff is amazing"

don't drink May 21, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been going to AA mtgs for 2 yrs and have relapsed over and over again. I finally ask my doctor if there was anything I could try to help me stay sober- well she prescribed acomprosate and I've had not had the desire to pick up a drink... It is working for me.... However I do 3-4 AA mtgs... I thank my Higher Power and science for finding such an awesome medicine... I recommend it to those who are still drinking and want to find a way to remain stopped . You have nothing to loose and a new life to gain. Well my experience"

Roo Roo (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016