User Reviews for Disulfiram

Alcohol Dependence
8.6

Summary of Disulfiram reviews 8.5 71 reviews

Reviews for Disulfiram

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've struggled for years with daily drinking at least one bottle of wine per night but more often than not, it would progress to nearly two. I beat myself up every day with guilt and still could not get past the 5pm trigger. Say nothing about the money I was spending. $15 bottles most of the time. Went to Counsellor who referred me to a GP who prescribed Antabuse. I am now Alcohol Free for 18 days. There is no going back. I remember feeling the same resolve when I finally gave up cigarettes many years ago. DRUG FREE at last. I'm going to treat my body with the utmost respect from now on."

Marg (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on this medication for almost a year now for AUD (alcohol use disorder) and it's been the absolute solution for me. I never was in rehab or experience a physical dependence or withdrawal from alcohol, but I was emotionally dependent on it, especially in social situations. In 2016 I became depressed and really started abusing alcohol which led to the use of other drugs like heroin and meth. Acknowledging my mental health/life was at stake, I went to see a psychiatrist. I've been on Disulfiram for about a year and I haven't had a drink since knowing exactly what will happen. Now, when someone offers me a beer, its like they're asking me if I'd like to pass-out, vomit, sweat profusely, or experience a splitting migraine. I entertained the idea of going off of it a few months ago but I decided not to. Although willpower is important, I know myself well enough that I can cave in certain situations, and I don't look at it as weakness but rather radical acceptance."

TK June 27, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "After trying abstinence, hypnotherapy, meetings, I was finding that nothing worked. This was a last resort for me. After a few days of taking Antabuse medication, I drank and found it very uncomfortable to do so. My eyes were bloodshot, my face red and flushing, chest hurting and feeling nauseous, eyes blurred, dizzy and ready to pass out. Despite this, I still drank a few more times and had the exact same reaction. If I drink now I mostly throw up and pass out for a few hours and wake up really sweaty. It has really taken the joy out of drinking. Every time I drink on this medication the more adverse I feel to alcohol. I've started drinking alcohol-free alternatives because what's the point in drinking alcohol but throwing up and passing out after a single? All I know is that I will keep taking the medication, and I'm wanting to drink less and less. I wouldn't recommend this as a first port of call but if you've tried a few things and nothing seems to work then give it a go."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "My son started to use this over the weekend. He almost died in an accident in 2014. He has been drinking severely for years. As parents who love him so much it has been such a difficult time. Lots of tears, financially cleared out, in between jobs, friends trying to help him and praying day and night for my son to stay alive. May this be the answer to our prayers. Some things we cannot do alone some of us need more help."

Pietie (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "500 mg per day appear to make me very drowsy"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Went on Antibuse to try to save my job after having 1 incident at work. I was unlawfully fired. Went and completed in and out patient programs. After 2 months of being on the drug I started to stumble when walking, loosing weight, talking funny, becoming very week and tired. It came to the point where I am unable to walk without a walker or use a wheelchair. After much testing Dent found the cause of my health conditions to be Antibuse. Stopped taking it. Condition has worsened. I have seizures and recently developed a uncontrollable jerking of my arms. So instead of saving my job I lost everything. My health. My marriage. My house and the ability to do anything I enjoyed in life. I’m lucky to have a father and sister that assist me in everyday living."

Unable to walk (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "Drinking for the last 40 years took the dose of 250 mg and drank 360 ml without any side effects ..... useless tablet..."

Arko (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Been a 'problem drinker' for a long time. Alcohol is EVERYWHERE, its just too hard to have the willpower never to pick it up again, and one drink leads to many more. Antabuse should be advertised more. I wish more people new about it. I borrowed some from a friend who was done with it (yes, I know I should have seen a doctor). It works fabulously. Of course I experimented to see the affect. A half glass of beer and my face and eyes would turn red, my heart beat would increase, my breathing would change, and some degree of fatigue and dizziness might ensue. It keeps me in check in the way I want, and I've got my excuses not to drink line up when the situations arise. I find my self eating healthier and no hangovers!"

Bobby James (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been occasional drinker for 10 years and that turned into another 10 years of everyday drinking. 1.5 L of wine or 350 oz of hard liquor together with 3 bottles of 0.5L of beer. Didn't have a willpower to quit on my own ( tried too many times). 500 mg of disulfiram (Antabuse) once a day along with 2 mg of Ativan solved my issue. I got my life back. I will recommend this combination to everyone who wants to get their life, dreams, family back. I would recommend not to chose a time, day or date (e.g. January 01, first day of each month or next day after birthday). Get those pills, wake up in the morning or on your way from work and just take that ONE pill!!!!"

Borys (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have attempted sobriety several times, all resulting in returning to alcohol. I attempted Antabuse once and panicked. I have learned from my experiences. I have been sober for over 3 months now, started Antabuse two weeks ago. Now it is my system I could not rate it high enough but would stress being in the correct state of mind is essential. I have not succeeded in the past but am extremely confident that I can and will this time. SIDE EFFECTS OF ANTABUSE Tiredness Headaches Spots SIDE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL Blackouts Vomiting Hangovers Memory Loss Cost Time in Hospital Loss of Bladder/Bowel Control Physical Damage to self (accidents, broken bones) Seizures Embarrassment After effects due to behavior whilst drunk. PREFERENCE?"

Divalady (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Absolutely changed my life and made sobriety possible. Should be prescribed more often. I've read that in other countries it's more widely available and used. I thank the heavens for it and I thank my doctor for explaining to me about it and providing me with it. Call it training wheels for good decision making..."

Christine M. S. May 3, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "this drug literally saved my life. I had a routine where after work everyday I would go to the liquor store, get a 40oz and knock it back, before heading to the bar. I did this for years. When I finally hit a wall (it's a long story) I saw a few different healthcare professionals, one of whom was a psychiatrist and he prescribed me Antabuse. He explained it to me very well, and asked me if I would try it and I agreed. The thing about it is, this drug forces you to change your habits. It gives you the time you need to think things through and make different decisions. While I was taking Antabuse I had to take the time and thought required to figure out other things to do with my time. It was a process. IT WORKED. Sober 9yrs."

Chris. S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been taking it for a week after a long period of heavy drinking. I've tried other drugs to stop cravings but with little success. The Antabuse gives me no choice but to not drink. The hard part is taking it but once I did I felt a sense of relief knowing I wasn't going to drink that day. It's not easy but it does work or at least give you a break to get your thinking straight."

Kempff April 2, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I finally feel relived that I have control over my craving to drink everyday. I am really happy that I can go into a bar and hang out with my friends and not drink. I am from WI and have basically been drinking since 15. I spent 27 years in the Navy and drank like a sailor. I was a Navy pilot and it was definitely part of the culture. I have been a binge drinker since the beginning. Now I am a businessman and always under constant pressure. Business dinners all the time and a large expense account do not help. I found myself self medicating with alcohol everyday. Just started Antabuse two weeks ago and now I feel in control. Naltrexone was a joke. I could power through that. It was really hard to get prescribed. No side effects"

Scooter1994 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "Just started 5 days ago"

z¥z (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been dry for 230 days since beginning my daily 250mg dose. I have cravings still, but I've never missed a dose. I will say that my occasional use of cannabis has made it much easier to be in social drinking situations and still feel like I'm getting my head change. No more hangovers. No more binging. I recommend this to any alcoholic."

No more drinks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I initially started on Antabuse when I realized I could not stop on my own. My fear of side effects from drinking on it was sealed after I purposely had a half glass of alcohol while taking it. You develop a funny taste in your mouth, flushing and heart racing. I think effects are worse the longer you've been taking it and how much you drink if you decide to drink around the time you took it. When I was ready to discontinue the drug, I read you had to wait one week. At that point I had been taking about 250mg per day for a couple of months. When two weeks was up, I had a glass of wine. I had a reaction, it wasn't severe, but I had the hot flushing, racing heart, and yucky stomach feeling. So for me, the drug was still in my system."

Kayzee124 January 6, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "3 1/2 years now on Disulfarim. I'm a "dry drunk." Didn't do AA Steps. Don't believe in higher power. I'd love to drop drink with my buddies. But haven't since July 2013. Wife drops 500mg tablet into my mouth each morning. Can't drink for 15 days. If 250mg ain't working, double dosage to 500mg it will drop you to your knees if you drink. Allows my wife to send me out on weekends with my buddies knowing I won't relapse. Alcoholics are weak about stopping and restarting. Disulfarim will solve that. Sexual problems are B.S. I'm 53 and diagnosed hyper sexual. No performance problems at all. You don't think being hammered affects sexual performance. Also, my Doc says I can take forever. I will."

Lawlord (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I don't see a lot of posts on this but if I can reach 1 person then it's well worth it. I was a heavy drinking alcoholic for 10 years. Went to detox and was on 250mg for 102 days. Had to stop taking as a precaution for knee surgery. 5 days later I figured why not see what happens. Passed the ethyl alcohol on skin test. Passed the use regular mouthwash for 3 days test. At the end of day 5 I cracked a beer on empty stomach and sipped slowly. After 1/3 the beer in 10 minutes I could feel my face flushing and could see the itchy red hives on my forearms. That was enough for me. Poured the test down the sink and will start taking again after the surgery. Alcohol destroyed my life once. No way I was going to let it happen again."

AJ68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "If disulfiram is taken, we have some fever , so brain don't think about alcohol"

Rameshvbabu (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been experimenting with this drug for over a year. I have pages of stuff to say but that is not what this is for. I know that I won't be able to use this forever but I have no choice but to do what works for now. With a lifetime of struggle, this negative reinforcement is the only thing that has ever worked. I want to warn anyone that takes this medication. I have tried every combination of dose vs time laps and alcohol quantity, including smoking alcohol. That 2 week gap between your last dose and your first drink, do yourself a favor and stick to it. What happens if you don't is unpredictable. I have experienced nothing to severe reactions not even found on the net."

liquoredup October 7, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking Antabuse to try and short circuit my inability to resist picking up at the drop of a hat.I now had to wait two weeks and ,more often than not, would decide, not to drink after all. So , for me, its been effective. Reading these reviews, I've learned a lot about side effects, that I never would have connected to my taking Antabuse I never knew that Antabuse had any sexual side effects, until now.This is a concern to me. Drowsiness, tiredness, tingling in my feet, are further side effects. These reviews have been very educating. My five years on Antabuse are over, for sure."

Beachgomer August 30, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on Antabuse for a few months now, after 4 x rehab, suicidal attempts and getting obese because of drinking (I could add a lot of other horrible things happening in my life because of my drinking) and I'm only 30. I have a will to have a normal life, therefore I make that little effort and I take that white pill every morning. One thing that surprises me when reading what others have written is a statement that "everybody tries to drink on disulfiram". No, not everybody. Apart from the fact that I can't drink at the moment, I also don't want to drink. If somebody is still trying to drink despite all of the side effects then I'm sorry to say that but the sobriety won't last long."

T-cha (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Keeps me sober"

vbreaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "My husband is an alcoholic and has been taking Antabuse for a week now. In the last 2 days the Antabuse hasn't stopped his excessive drinking. The pills haven't had any effect on him. I am really disappointed, I really wanted this to work. I know he was definitely taking the tablet everyday, because I watched him dissolve it in water then drink the whole glass. Now, I know there's no stopping his drinking, it's all up to me as a mother to leave him, because this behaviour is not acceptable around young children. So sad."

Mother and wife (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016