User Reviews for Disulfiram

Also known as: Antabuse

Learn more about Disulfiram.

Alcohol Dependence 55 reviews 7 medications

8.5
Summary of Disulfiram reviews 55 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Disulfiram

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I initially started on Antabuse when I realized I could not stop on my own. My fear of side effects from drinking on it was sealed after I purposely had a half glass of alcohol while taking it. You develop a funny taste in your mouth, flushing and heart racing. I think effects are worse the longer you've been taking it and how much you drink if you decide to drink around the time you took it. When I was ready to discontinue the drug, I read you had to wait one week. At that point I had been taking about 250mg per day for a couple of months. When two weeks was up, I had a glass of wine. I had a reaction, it wasn't severe, but I had the hot flushing, racing heart, and yucky stomach feeling. So for me, the drug was still in my system."

Kayzee124 January 6, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "3 1/2 years now on Disulfarim. I'm a "dry drunk." Didn't do AA Steps. Don't believe in higher power. I'd love to drop drink with my buddies. But haven't since July 2013. Wife drops 500mg tablet into my mouth each morning. Can't drink for 15 days. If 250mg ain't working, double dosage to 500mg it will drop you to your knees if you drink. Allows my wife to send me out on weekends with my buddies knowing I won't relapse. Alcoholics are weak about stopping and restarting. Disulfarim will solve that. Sexual problems are B.S. I'm 53 and diagnosed hyper sexual. No performance problems at all. You don't think being hammered affects sexual performance. Also, my Doc says I can take forever. I will."

Lawlord (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I don't see a lot of posts on this but if I can reach 1 person then it's well worth it. I was a heavy drinking alcoholic for 10 years. Went to detox and was on 250mg for 102 days. Had to stop taking as a precaution for knee surgery. 5 days later I figured why not see what happens. Passed the ethyl alcohol on skin test. Passed the use regular mouthwash for 3 days test. At the end of day 5 I cracked a beer on empty stomach and sipped slowly. After 1/3 the beer in 10 minutes I could feel my face flushing and could see the itchy red hives on my forearms. That was enough for me. Poured the test down the sink and will start taking again after the surgery. Alcohol destroyed my life once. No way I was going to let it happen again."

AJ68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "If disulfiram is taken, we have some fever , so brain don't think about alcohol"

Rameshvbabu (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been experimenting with this drug for over a year. I have pages of stuff to say but that is not what this is for. I know that I won't be able to use this forever but I have no choice but to do what works for now. With a lifetime of struggle, this negative reinforcement is the only thing that has ever worked. I want to warn anyone that takes this medication. I have tried every combination of dose vs time laps and alcohol quantity, including smoking alcohol. That 2 week gap between your last dose and your first drink, do yourself a favor and stick to it. What happens if you don't is unpredictable. I have experienced nothing to severe reactions not even found on the net."

liquoredup October 7, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking Antabuse to try and short circuit my inability to resist picking up at the drop of a hat.I now had to wait two weeks and ,more often than not, would decide, not to drink after all. So , for me, its been effective. Reading these reviews, I've learned a lot about side effects, that I never would have connected to my taking Antabuse I never knew that Antabuse had any sexual side effects, until now.This is a concern to me. Drowsiness, tiredness, tingling in my feet, are further side effects. These reviews have been very educating. My five years on Antabuse are over, for sure."

Beachgomer August 30, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on Antabuse for a few months now, after 4 x rehab, suicidal attempts and getting obese because of drinking (I could add a lot of other horrible things happening in my life because of my drinking) and I'm only 30. I have a will to have a normal life, therefore I make that little effort and I take that white pill every morning. One thing that surprises me when reading what others have written is a statement that "everybody tries to drink on disulfiram". No, not everybody. Apart from the fact that I can't drink at the moment, I also don't want to drink. If somebody is still trying to drink despite all of the side effects then I'm sorry to say that but the sobriety won't last long."

T-cha (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Keeps me sober"

vbreaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "My husband is an alcoholic and has been taking Antabuse for a week now. In the last 2 days the Antabuse hasn't stopped his excessive drinking. The pills haven't had any effect on him. I am really disappointed, I really wanted this to work. I know he was definitely taking the tablet everyday, because I watched him dissolve it in water then drink the whole glass. Now, I know there's no stopping his drinking, it's all up to me as a mother to leave him, because this behaviour is not acceptable around young children. So sad."

Mother and wife (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Since I have started on this medication, I have felt very few cravings to drink. It is great as a deterrent, so I have not even bothered to test any reaction to drinking. The thought crossed my mind just to try, but the thought of being horribly Ill just to see if I would be didn't seem like the brightest idea! Anyway, my main reason for posting this is to say that unlike many of these posts, I have suffered some side effects. I've struggled a little with sexual performance and have had some rash and acne issues. I will visit the doctor to see what can be done about these because I don't want to stop this medication. It works great. I am forty two and have been abusing alcohol for at least twenty years or so. Almost seven weeks clean!"

DogmanBLount March 28, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been sober for just over a month. I had been sober for a month before (in some cases many months) but this time feels different. In my most recent bout with alcohol, the quantity I consumed and the frequency of my drinking episodes increased tremendously. My cognitive function and physical/mental state had taken a downward spiral. I wasn't able to keep a job or facilitate healthy relationships with those around me. I spoke to my doctor about Antabuse and after some reluctance was able to obtain a prescription. I have been faithful about taking the pill every day and cravings have been minimal. Knowing that the option to drink isn't physically possible has been the chief contributor to this attempt at sobriety."

Birdman694 March 27, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I am amazed that this medicine is not prescribed more often. It WILL make you stop drinking as long as you take it. My wife gives me my medicine daily. If you really want to STOP drinking ask your doctor to give you a prescription."

sober mr. smith March 18, 2016

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I had allowed to let alcohol take my life from one that most would kill for and now into the hell I knew 6 months ago. I had lost just about everything so that I could drink alone and keep getting that feeling feeling of ease that alcohol brought me. If I had I not been prescribed antibuse and started taking it I am confidant that I would either be dead or in jail right now. I have been taking the medication now for 6 months and have not drank. This miricle medication combined with AA and spiritual fellowship have very quickly turned my life back in the direction that it should have been going for the past 2 years. I have suffered no major side effects other than a lack of cravings."

Cdavis178 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Well, I had tried everything to beat the demon booze. Tried Nalmofene, Campral and Naltroxene medication, went countless AA meetings etc. But Nothing worked. Then I did some research and saw this medication and thankfully my doc prescribed it. Have been on it 6 days and stupidly enough decided to see on the fourth day what would 1 can of lager do? Managed to get through half the can and suddenly the symptoms begun. Flushing, my throat felt like it was swelling, thought my heart wars going to pop out my chest it was pounding so much and then I experienced uncontrollable shaking like Shaking Stevens. Then I burst into tears. Felt Awful! This tablet is a brilliant deterrent."

Euch (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "took antabuse on and off for 3-5 years, finally I got 3 consecutive yrs sober and I quit the pill and been sober over 20yrs. I wonder why I ever drank and have had good life now with lot less worry"

Anonymous October 3, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "have not ingested alcohol while on anabuse"

bluuuuu October 1, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "Best alcohol treatment in the world. I drank daily to pass out mode for 15 years. I started taking this and haven't been drunk in 4 years. But I can't stop taking it because I know I'll try to drink. But who cares. IM NOT DRINKING!!! Sober life is weird and amazing and praise God for disulfiram."

luvits September 25, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been on this stuff for about 3 weeks. Typically 250mgs 3 times a week. I took my last dose 7 days ago. Not because I wanted to drink but because the drug spaces me out a bit and I was putting it off. So yesterday I decides to test it and drink. Apparently every alcoholic eventually does. Anyway even with a small dose and a 6 day gap, the liquor didn't make me sick but it was a very uncomfortable experience. Instead of that usual obsession where one drink leads to another to the point of total blackout, I actually poured my last beer down the sink. With 4 years of doing everything under the sun trying to put down the bottle, for me a desperate situationeed called for a desperate measures."

sickofliquor (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Had drink while on antabuse. Felt nauseous, heart beat increased, blood shot eyes, headache. Never drank when taking again."

beerjet111 July 3, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I had been to AA before and had five years sobriety before going back out for twenty something years. AA really works if you have the capacity to be honest. I was fortunate enough to go back to a 30 day inpatient program. My spirituality is my cornerstone, God and faith are the only things I can depend on for my sobriety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm so disappointed....why oh why does this not work for me? I started drinking 3 weeks after the implant...went for a second implant and started drinking without any reaction to the alcohol? Why do out of millions of succcess stories this does not work for ME!!!!"

wine-lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I want to give my experience with this drug. I had been in and out of AA , NA, and those programs for years. I even went to rehab. Almost died in a serious accident, and still I ended up drinking again, more than before. Nothing worked, my self will, the help of others (who eventually lost all trust in me), my involvement in groups or studying literature on sobriety - nothing worked until I got a prescription for Antabuse. I have been able to stay sober for the longest period I have in years. And some very emotional things have come up since I've been on it that always used to drive me to drink but I was forced to face the problems head on and learn to cope in a different way. Not to say it hasnt been hard. But It's such a relief"

Axic03 March 15, 2015

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been to AA and did not find it effective. Please know, I respect anyone in the program. I found myself craving MORE after meeting and found so many that attended drinking between meetings. I just didn't get it. I have hidden my alcoholism, ashamed, a noticeable binge once a year or so (driving drunk, falling, bad decisions). I thought if I had a successful career and didn't go to jail I was "good at it". WRONG. I found a doctor I could trust and confided EVERYTHING. He recommended antabuse. I was so scared, I felt like it was going to be a "crutch" and a complete lazy failure. I am so grateful. I feel like it gives me a "beat" in the decision to drink. My "maybe I can drink" has turned into NO WAY!"

Trying..HARD February 8, 2015

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medicine has changed my life, Overnight. All the fears I had for the future have now been allayed. For once the morning me has the power over the evening cravings (which used to get the last word!)"

Tgrn December 23, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been to rehab twice in three years. I went to an addictionist and was prescribed Antabuse. I didn't get it filled due to the cost & fear of side effects. I made a deal with myself that if I messed up and drank, my "punishment" would be getting it filled. I messed up once, and said ok, that was a mulligan. If I mess up again... Which I did. So I got it filled. More than two weeks later, I am still sober! I am taking half pills every 3-4 days, keeping it in my system without it costing so much. Zero side effects, except for being SOBER! Someone drank in front of me on Thanksgiving. Normally I would be rabid to have some as well. With Antabuse, I couldn't be bothered to care or crave it."

Pink Archer November 30, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next