User Reviews for Disulfiram

Also known as: Antabuse

Alcohol Dependence 8.3

Reviews for Disulfiram

battleshipcats · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Antabuse works well for me and my alcohol issues, I tried drinking while taking this and I did indeed get sick. However, like others have noted, I get very lethargic after a few weeks - I can’t exercise and I tire very easily. So, I can’t stay on it for very long. Note: Every account I have heard of people being able to drink while on disulfiram so far has been second-hand, always a significant other and never from the person who was actually taking it. This should give most people a big clue that these folks on disulfiram were not actually ingesting the drug.”

Pollyanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am a moderate functioning alcoholic and have now been on Antabuse for six weeks. This is the second time I have taken it. It works great for me but again I have to stop because of side effects. Headaches (worst of my life), nausea, lightheadedness and feeling bone-tired. These get worse the longer I am on it. Maybe I produce enough alcohol in my digestive tract to cause problems. I have read that this is a thing, though I don´t know if it's true.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “My husband is an alcoholic. Nothing has worked until he started on Antabuse. He tried drinking while on it and got very ill while driving and wrecked his truck and landed in the hospital. He counts on taking this pill to keep him from drinking but now we can’t get it. I called the manufacturer and they said they have stopped making it! He is back to drinking again. He tried other pills and it didn’t work. Why would they stop making something that helped? They are playing with peoples lives.”

Grateful1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 21, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Antabuse is fantastic in many ways, but taking away the mental obsession has to be my overall favourite 1. It's unfortunate that it's so highly priced and it's availability is so scarce in Australia considering how high our rate of chronic alcoholism is. I am unfortunately one of the few people who do get the skin rashes and acne , but hey I'm still more attractive with a bad rash than I ever was blind drunk and blacked out somewhere. Thank God truly for Antabuse, no other alcohol medication worked for me or took away the mental obsession. I have a 2 year old child who's life is amazing and normal thanks to her mother's sobriety.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “My husband is an alcoholic, drinking anywhere from 12-18 beers in a 5 hour period and has tried antabuse 2x now. First time he lasted taking the pills for a month and stayed sober for nearly 2 1/2 months, started drinking again...got back on antabuse again, I would give him the pill every morning and watch him take it and found out he has still been drinking. He drank a whole 12 pack while on it. He did have the flushed face, but he did not become violently ill like the precautions mentioned...so now it becomes my decision on what to do next...very disappointed in this pill.”

RN · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Antabuse is a joke!! My spouse has been to rehab 2x and sent home with prescription for disulfiram after 2nd stay. What we were told about med would scare you about the drug, HOWEVER, it hasn't proven to provide any side effects, even with the person drinking heavily and taking med too at same time. I've read so many articles, books that all say the same thing and I guess my husband is in the 1% Not affected by the med. Can u explain??”

bill t · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Four months on Antabuse 250mg a day. Feel great back to the gym and eating healthy. No more cravings cause I know it's not an option. See how I feel in 6 months. Also attend Smart Recovery + Dharma recovery meetings.”

Skyefal · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Started antabuse on December 27. 250mg a day. Still taking it every day. Some slight fatigue, but no more anxiety, no more drinking, lost 5 lbs without trying. Fear of the interaction with alcohol keeps me from drinking. This drug works. If people say it doesn't affect them when they drink, I suggest they prove it to the manufactures. I probably will need to take this for the foreseeable future. If it's too expensive, ask for the generic brand, disulfiram. It's been around for decades, there's no reason it should be expensive. This works, so grateful I started!”

Kevin S. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am 35 years old. Been drinking alcohol since about 19 or 20. With work and education stress my alcohol abuse increased year after year. I am a highly educated professional that has been fired from two 6 figure jobs for being drunk at work. Tried rehab and AA- it didn’t take. Finally I met the love of my life and knew it would end if I didn’t quit. The fear of getting sick is enough to keep me from drinking on Antabuse. Highly recommend. 30 days sober.”

Paste · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am baffled by the positive reviews posted here for Disulfiram. Each time I attempt to recommence Disulfiram treatment it is only a matter of days before I start feeling nausea, insomnia and worsening depression symptoms. Make no mistake, I consume zero alcohol while on it. Equally baffling is the lack of reviewers with similar experiences. What's happening here?”

Phil1962 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2020

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I tried antabuse 15 yrs ago and unfortunately whilst I was abstinent for 9 mths I had a stroke due to it. However I am finally alcohol free for 5 years due to the hard work of my local mental health team and cgl drug and alcohol service and now indeed work for them helping people beat the drink just like myself so never give up trying.”

Spud December 28, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I been on Antabuse for 12 years , it sure works I will not be without it.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I developed neuropathy and insomnia on this medication really ruined my life”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Antabuse has worked well for me, l have been sober nearly two months. The fear of the bad medical reaction was enough to boost my will power to avoid alcohol. At around 42 days on it I "tested" it with a shot of tequila in a bottle l found around the house. I drank it slowly over 10 minutes. Shortly after my face was red and head was pounding. Veins in my forehead were protruding, heart rate was racing, a bit scary. I drank plenty of water to try to counteract. The reaction lasted about 45-60 minutes. This stuff works. Price was very cheap, but I live in Spain.”

Dallas · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 6, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I've been taking antabuse consistently for 9 years. I've had a few attempts to drink on it and pretty much has put me off all alcohol as I now don't enjoy the taste at all. I recommend it 100% if you're wanting to stop drinking permanently.”

Mo · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “30 hours after taking it, It 100% it works for alcohol issues, high BP, HR-125 sitting still, nausea, flushed, this works better than withdrawals as a deterrent man this sucks”

Kee · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “My husband is a serious alcoholic. He is 77 years old and has been hospitalized 6 times in intensive care over the past two years. He was on life support two of these times. All this was caused by drinking. To make matters worse he is disabled but can still drive and get around when he is sober. His doctor prescribed Antabuse 250 mg. The first day he took it he drank 2 bottles of cheap wine and the meds did nothing. He just got drunk! Today he took a second dose. Same thing happened. After 2 bottles of wine all that happened is he just got drunk. I'm at the end of my rope trying to help him. I have also had him committed to substance abuse programs. He wouldn't stay the required 28 days. The last one they released him after 3 weeks. I brought him home on a Saturday and he was drunk on Sunday. Please, can anyone recommend something else to help him. I've done all I can.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I was sick of being apart of the mommie needs vodka groups, wine ‘o’clock etc.. Right before my eyes I was having a glass or 4 of wine for literally no reason. No occasion to celebrate, nothing to cheers. All of a sudden drinking became part of everything. I have kids and I didn’t want alcohol to creep it’s way into my family. As I was starting to see it was becoming a problem. I didn’t drink everyday but I wanted something to help stop cold turkey. 500mg is intense. May be too strong for me as I had lots of stomach issues and gained a few pounds which I was not happy about. Super drowsy and tired. I went down to 250mg for a few more months. It’s great for a sudden stop Althopugh this can be dangerous depending how much you drink so please discuss with your doctor. Cruising well in to 4 months and it has totally changed my life. It helps you see life with out it. Almost makes you wonder you drank as much as you did. Transitioning off now though as I find it hard on my system. Wow though really good to snap you in line though.”

Andrea · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 14, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Alcohol had completely ruined my life! I lost my marriage because of it! I tried naltrexone, and vivitrol, and found that I could drink around both! I finally couldn't take it anymore and asked my doctor to put me on Antabuse! I am going on 9 months sober, and I couldn't be happier! I haven't had 1 craving, and honestly miss nothing about drinking! Going on this medication and attending regular AA meetings saved my life! For all those that are still suffering from this awful disease, please have the conversation with your doctor!! Life will be amazing!!”

Jeezuz · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have been on the Antabuse medication from 28/08/2019 I only take 100mg everyday 2 days. It works for me as I am absolutely terrified of the effects that it has. I was on this year's ago on 200mg a day and I decided to try a bottle of wine and see what it does. Well I thought I was dying. Head pounding, heart racing. Full red body rash. Vomiting uncontrollably. This medication works. Even though I am only on 100mg every 2 days. I am too scared to drink. But the craving for alcohol does not go away, as my partner drinks every night when comes home from work 4-5 bourbon and coke. I feel I am spinning in my own world, when he tells me I am the alcoholic.”

Fynn October 17, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “I am going share this to several groups, as it well worth reading everyone experiences. I am nearly 5 weeks on 200mg of Antabuse daily for alcohol problems. I did a 7 day detox program and had no withdrawal side effects thank goodness. It is the FEAR of even taking one glass of wine and its side effects is a real motivation, and I have only had a few times when I wish I could, I know what triggers it, usually having something happen, I have always been a bottle of wine a day, I run my own business and was working 16 hr days 7 days a week, and the wheels really fell off so I think for the first time ever I seriously upped the bottles to 3 day, worst decision ever, it was hell, ended up in hospital once, kept having bad falls the list goes on. It was hell and the likelihood of dying would probably happen, and ruining a good business I knew I had to take action, its been a real long 7 months Does anyone take 100mg daily?”

Jackie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “I’ve been through a number of treatment programs (inpatient and outpatient). I work closely with three different counsellors a week. I also attend AA meeting. What is currently preventing me from having my “slip” every three months is being on monitored Antabuse. It works. I had two occasion where I was off the med long enough to drink and became violently ill. It’s enough to curb my sudden urges. Once I know I can’t drink, the obsession stops. Antabuse is currently a safety net or extra support while I learn to use some of the positive coping skills I’ve picked up from all the programming I’ve been exposes to these past two years. It works. Boy does it ever.”

Swimmer · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “Antabuse worked for me and my drinking. I had no side effects whatsoever & I am a 75yr old gal. I was scared to death to drink. I stopped taking it after 3 1/2 months & I honestly have not had any desire & I am beyond words happy to be sober.”

Sad wife of alcoholic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: “My husband started off taking 250 mg of antabuse. He found he could still drink one or two beers. His doctor just raised his dose to 500mg and he had at least one beer today. I am giving him the pills and checking to make sure he has swallowed it. I was really hoping this would help but, I believe it has little to no effect on him...Will start researching Naltrexone and acamprosate for alcohol dependence.”

Jo August 15, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: “Had six and a half years of clean and sober, mucked up went out for 25 years could not stop drinking. Started 250mg of disulfiram 5 days after my last drink and it's the only thing that helped me besides AA meetings with no side effects thank you.”