User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 105 reviews 7 medications

7.2
Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 205 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started 2 days ago. Did not drink yesterday. Urge was markedly lower. The urge to drink today is practically non-existent. I think I could totally abstain from alcohol if I want, using this. It's like a switch has been flipped. That insane, unsatisfiable CRAVING has been diminished quite a lot. Very pleased."

j22211 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have fibromyalgia, Sjögren's syndrome and central pain sensitisation. I started taking Low Dose Naltrexone slowly building up to 4mg but felt it too much as it made me feel agitated. Reduced to 3.5mg which is good for me. Initially straight away I felt more energy and my mood lifted. Helped sjogrens considerably - mouth not so dry. Somewhat reduced pain. Sleep better. I've been on it for 8 month and I get the feeling it's not working as well now. Maybe my body has got use to it and it's not as effective. And I have noticed hoarse voice, memory problems, cramping, waking more often in night, and irritability which I read can be side effects. Thinking I may either reduce or go off all together to see what happens. NZ dollars $59 a month."

Sangoma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a 27 yr old alcoholic. As soon as college came alcohol took a hold on my life. I started Naltrexone 4 days ago and haven't had the urge to drink at all. However, I always have a headache. The nausea comes and goes. Appetite is down and I'm usually fatigued/tired. Hope the side effect begin to taper off soon. If they do, this drug might really change my life!"

Anonymous May 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Began Naltrexone about 2 and a half weeks ago. After 3 days had to stop for a day or so and then start back on 25 mg due to really bad nausea. Took 25mg for 2 days had virtually no side effects and then back up to 50 mg. I have the rare headache but am sleeping well and feeling fine. My drinking has decreased incredibly. Some nights I can only manage a glass of wine, this is amazing since I was a bottle a night drinker. Weight is slowly dropping which is great but have started craving dark chocolate. "

Sydneysider (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Been fighting alcoholism and eating disorders for over 25yrs. If I don't drink I binge/purge. Everyday. I obsess about alcohol/food. Or did until I started with a half a pill yesterday afternoon. Like a switch my cravings were turned off. I even walked by the liquor store to "tempt" myself...nothing...from what I have read about similar reactions to this drug, I am hopeful for the first time that I may have found an answer. I just wonder why it has taken so long for a doctor to prescribe this? If you are considering this please go now and ask for a prescription before anymore of your life is wasted!!"

no more wasted days (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Can anyone explain why the doctor at my local clinic was a completely disgusted with me for NOT wanting to receive the Vititrol injection? I'm not in trouble with the law, but I did get caught using Suboxone, which I have been off of for over two weeks. They said I would get to know this doc. Would talk to him. Tell him my story. Well, the nurses must have tipped him off. He was defensive right off the bat. Asking why I wouldn't think it a good idea. Then basically read a list of bullet points from his laptop on success rates and how without this i will almost certainly fail. Ive never felt like this. He had no other options but to go back on Suboxone. (Not gonna happen) He slammed his laptop and said we're done. ?????"

JEphro May 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have a patient with fibromyalgia in Kent UK who was given Low-dose naltrexone by another physician. Her energy improved and her pain reduced so much that she was able to return to working 20 hours a week. I am currently trying it on a second patient."

Dr Chris Bowman May 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "First day on 25mg feeling tired, sometimes cold, hot, but NO wantings. not particularly hungry either. just reading that this drug should not be taken until a week before alcohol is out of system.?? from what I am reading here, people just drank till when they started taking naltrexone. true? good info here for beginners, thank you all for sharing, very helpful. I believe this is going to work for me, so I can get back on track with my life."

metm (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "This is my second time receiving the Vivtrol injection. It is very effective for Alcohol and Opiate dependence. I have had very little cravings for either drugs. My side effects were minimal. I highly recommend this drug for the disease of Addiction."

Grace/Mercy April 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking Naltrexone for the first time on April 26, 2017. I turned 50 this year and have had a secret battle with alcohol for 30 years. I have sought help through drug rehabs and GP in the past who have given me Campral and asked me to do some therapy CBT. Unfortunately Campral did absolutely nothing for me. I tried it many times and it just didn't work at all. CBT was a waste of time for me too. All through my struggle I managed to keep a good job, raise kids and not many people would of thought that each day I would stop at the bottle shop and buy a bottle of wine or two. All I can say is Naltrexone looks like the drug that has saved me. I am using TSM and it's day 4 and the thought of drinking makes me feel ill."

Sydneysider (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I have been a opiate user fir 15 years and yes they were prescribed and yes I still abused them. I first got off of oxycontin by using Suboxone which I bought off the streets. Sooo, I decided to try this miracle injection. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I don't know what's on this injection, but I've been sick for 5 days. I will wait for this drug to wear off and go back To the subs. Thanks for letting me vent"

Selma sur (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started Naltrexone 3 days ago. Cravings have subsided but the sedated feeling remained. Dr. advised to take it before bedtime to help with the side effects. Going to try taking it in the evening before bed and will let you know my thoughts. I'd like to function in the day and not be dizzy. Keep you posted! Stay strong my resilient ppl."

Wineoholic April 21, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been taking Naltrexone 50mg for approximately 3 months. Unfortunately, I am still over drinking and at times, almost weekly, have blackouts. I am consuming typically 5 to 7 beers. Why am I not seeing the results yet, I was so sold on this method and ready for change. I done AA before and had 2 years sober. High functioning problem drinker maybe 2 to 3 times a week. If I go to 100mg, will this help. "

blkout (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I'm on vivitrol and I have no side effects and I'm doing fabulous I have no desire to use I was an IV user for 13 years and vivitrol saving my life"

Alynnf April 2, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "About to start"

Just looking (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I never noticed the alcohol "creeping" up on me. I've drank since I was 18 in college, but never at the levels I have been consuming it over the past few years. Social drinking led to legal problems, then home drinking became the norm. Home drinking eventually led to drinking a 15 back of beer for all pragmatic purposes nightly. The first day on Naltrexone, its impossible to believe. I didn't even drink 1 full beer. Just had no real interest in it. No real desire for another one later on. You just done THINK about it. On a side note, you might end up craving some sweets, I reached for the gummy life savers :P"

T-ROD March 28, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I started going to a clinic to get extra help on top of AA. My alcohol use had gotten to a very, very dangerous level. I would flirt with sobriety through AA, getting almost to 30 days, then a bad craving would hit and I couldn't resist. Then I found out about vivitrol. After my first shot it cut my cravings down ten fold. Now 4 shots in I rarely have a craving and when I do it's manageable. This has allowed me to concentrate on my recovery without also battling cravings. I'm 95 days sober today and so grateful."

Mendee86 March 24, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm in my mid 40's, been drinking daily for as at least the last 5 years. Writing that is embarrassing, but each day around 4 my brain would be buzzing and only relief was drinking. My choice was red wine, usually 1 to 2 bottles a day, more on weekends. When I was honest with my Doctor, he had me try to reduce independently for 3 weeks, with no luck he put me on this medicine. It's a life changer, after 5 days and normally 12 bottles, I've only had 2 bottles. When I drink now it's out of hand to mouth habit, but it has no affect and really makes me feel sick. Best of all I feel fantastic in the morning and for once I have hope for a battle I had zero control over. I wrote a letter to my Doctor thanking him. So many wasted years, no more."

Nick K (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Helps tremendously with cravings. Sinclair method did not work for me as I would still be unable to stop after one drink even after having taken Naltrexone for two years daily. This medicine does work for cravings, though it will take you time. Of course I wish I could stop at just one, don't we all?"

Mark82 March 21, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Dependence: "I had three days removed from Suboxone and Percocet and took my first pill last night which is been miserable since I'm hoping when I take the second one later this afternoon that it does not get worse since I will have my newborn for the night alone with me and then I'm due to receive the shot tomorrow since I already took one pill. So taking the second one shouldn't make me feel any worse is what I'm hoping I should have waited longer to have more clean time but this is what I had to do to keep my family intact, I am looking forward to see how the shot works with me I've wasted enough time and money over the years to know I can't do it anymore with a brand-new baby depending on me"

12yearswasted (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hi, I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. After 2 years of heavy drinking and 20 years with periods of mid consumption 20 drinks only weekends interdispersed with periods on drinking everyday I finally discovered this drug. It's incredible. I try to drink 6 or 8 Heinekens, my usually quota, but it's impossible. After the first I order some food, like an hamburger. And stop drinking after the meal. Go to home, clean the house and sleep. Sleep very well. My obsession with casual games stops too. I don't care anymore about the others opinions, social anxiety reduces and life goes on. I see the problems I need to fix after two or three years of heavy drinking. A lot of problems with banks, family, girls and my daughters need my presence and dedication"

ZeCarioca (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a serious alcoholic. I blew numbers as high as .49 in detox. I had 4 seizures in 3 days the last time I tried to cut back. I'm a woman and not a big one, I wear a size 4-6 and can easily drink most 280 lb. men under the table. My life is in shambles and 12 step has not done the job. I've had 3 1/2 years twice. Meetings 9&10 a week, fellowship, sponsors and sponsorship have been great and have made me a better person, but haven't kept me sober. At this point total abstinence is something I've tried and tried but haven't been able to do. I had lost all hope when Naltrexone and the Sinclair Method was mentioned. Today I took the Naltrexone before drinking. I was able to stop after 6 drinks and had no further cravings. HOPE at last!"

Just drunken me March 13, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Mixed bag with this one. Did it initially help treat my obsession with alcohol by reducing cravings? Yes. Is it the only substance on earth that has rendered me impotent at times? Unfortunately, yes. It took some experimentation (I'm on other drugs) to realise naltrexone as the culprit, but I stopped a month ago and, as expected, I feel like my life is on the rise. Pun intended."

Notmybarn March 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been on the vivitrol since November 2016 I have remained sober for 5 months. The urge to drink went away and it felt good knowing that even if I drank on the shot I wouldn't feel the warm fuzzy feeling that I was so addicted to. So recently I did drink and I feel so terrible shakes.. Sick to my stomachs. Alcohol withdrawal is terrible and it really sucks. Now I know why I love feeling sober. Vivitrol had not only kept me sober it truly saved my life because I know that I have control of my life. I would recommend this to Anyone who has a problem with alcohol. It truly takes the cravings away. And helps you find yourself."

Annngggell (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "My experience is taking naltrexone with bupropion to treat obesity. Been on the medications for 14 days, and not seeing any results."

debdavid March 1, 2017