User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 129 reviews 7 medications

Fibromyalgia 20 reviews 20 medications

7.3
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 248 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Opiate Dependence: "UK user H and Crack for 10 years on and off. PLEASE acknowledge an opiate life will mask all your aches and pains AND the longer addiction the longer the payback. 1000,000 % you'll go nowhere continuing on subs, meth or gear. Had a 2 month implant of naltrexone and getting another 9 months on Tuesday.... Your life will ONLY GET WORSE otherwise. MY recommendation is to go for the naltrexone and read this again.... and again.... and again...... GOOD LUCK."

DaveyDee (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "At 34, I would consume upwards of 20 beers in one sitting. I'd miss work, had failed relationships, friends wouldn't want to invite me out anymore. I finally realized my drinking was a huge problem when I woke up in a jail cell and had no idea how I got there. I found Naltrexone via a TedTalk about TSM. I'm at the end of week 2 and I've not finished the 6 pack that's in my fridge since day one. I think there are 2 left, behind some food somewhere. I'll save them for a guest. Try this drug, it's early days but I feel like it's changed my life already."

N11S (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started as social drinker came from parents that were functional alcoholics. Started heaving drinking 5 years ago I was a closet drinker hid it from my wife but she knew and confronted me several times. Vodka was my drug. I have been on this medication for 7 days last 3 days I've not taken pill or drank. The key for me I was tired of hiding and tired of drinking I told my wife and friends I'm alcoholic that is the key is being honest not embarrassed. I also get counselling also it's been 7 days but I feel so free."

Nmnvgg October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm a really bad alcoholic, drinking every night and sometimes all day as well. My daily drinkng is a minimum of 10 drinks to 15 drinks every single day for the past 15 years. I started taking the Naltrexone 50mg about one week ago. Trying The Sinclair Method while still drinking. I take the 50mg pill one hour before I drink. I still suffer from the cravings and realize that The Sinclair Method takes about 3 to 6 months to fully work. I have already experienced one day when I was satisfied with 3 beers, which really surprised me. Other days I still drink a lot still have the cravings. Other than mild nausea no side effects. I don't like AA. I'm going to stick with this The Sinclair Method for the 6 months."

RoddyB (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Before starting Vivitrol 7 months ago I had been a heroin addict for a couple of years. If you're clean for 10-14 days before you get your first shot I can almost guarantee you won't have any horror-story adverse reactions. This drug saved my life; it took the choice out of my hands, forcing my mind to move on and buying me the time I needed to get my life together. People are depressed and all because they can't get over not being able to use, that's not a side effect of the drug it's a personal problem. I didn't experience a single side effect aside from some injection site soreness for 2-3 days after each shot - a small price to pay. If you need this and can get it, do it."

Ronald P. McDonald (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I’ve been on vivitrol for 2.5 years an it saved my life! I cheated my way into it by getting the pill first and after 4 years of heroin use it sent me straight into withdrawal but in three days got my shot and on the 4th day I felt like a new man! No cravings no side effects and you can drink on it there is an additive they put in for alcoholics! I advise every opiate addict to seek help an get this shot it is life Saving!! Oh and as bad as this sounds I quit methadone to get back on dope soo my withdrawals were not at severe! It worked!"

Drizzy24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I have been on vivitrol for a month with no side effects whatsoever. A little sore at injection site for about 24 hours but really not bad at all. l don't believe naltrexone is what makes people feel like crap, it's really just withdrawal symptoms. Please do your research, have a support system, and don't let people scare you out of trying recovery! Good luck to all-"

Jen1221 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence: "I was prompted to take the Vivitrol shot when I was in drug court I was already 6 months clean off heroin but I had an alcohol relapse and I was a reason why I was prompted to take it now the shot hurt anything for four weeks and I have really bad issues with sleeping. I lost all interest in everything. No sex no kids nothing was peaking my interest. It wasn't until I graduated and 6 months after that I started feeling things and finding hot in life. But then again I relapsed so go figure."

Steveo87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence: "Naltrexone is an opiate blocker/craving reducer. It is not a cure. Everyone on here saying they got violently sick I don't understand why these doctors didn't take the right precautions. If you're on extended opiates bup, methadone. Your suppose to wait 14 days. For normal opiates Heroin, Oxy ect... your suppose to wait 7-10 days. But everyones body is different so if you were a heavy heroin user you possibly could have to wait 2 weeks or on methadone for years then possibly longer. The reason it makes you so sick is it instantly removes all opiates from your receptors. I've personally been taking the pills for over a month and all it does is "reduce cravings" I still have them just not as often and as bad. Good Luck."

OpiateKing (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I was diagnosed with MS in Dec 16. Had the most severe fatigue and leg numbness, didn't sleep for more than few hours for years. Had extreme heat intolerance too. After just 5-10 min doing exercise or work felt like I was going to pass out. All of this combined made me so miserable I couldn't grasp why I would need to go on. Copaxone seemed to help a little but the injection sites were all like a swarm of bees stung me. Researched Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN )and couldn't believe reviews. Emailed doc and he wrote script without a second guess. Take about 3mg every night around 9pm. Life changing decision. No bull. Feel better than I have in 10 years. Heat tolerance in about 90% corrected except for few off days. Energy is much better and tingling mostly gone."

SteveLoves LDN September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was on this drug for 6 weeks and found it did not change my desire to drink at all. The only thing it did was alter my mood. On days when I managed to not drink (usually bc there was nothing in the house), I did feel calmer and didn't have the angry mood swings I had before naltrexone when I tried to stay sober. Also, the depression and disappointment I had felt in myself whenever I drank before starting naltrexone went away when I started the drug. Basically, naltrexone turned me from a very moody and remorseful heavy drinker to a chill heavy drinker. Upon the recommendation of my psych, I'm switching to campral to see if that helps better."

luvcorgs August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was prescribed this drug for alcohol dependence. While I found no significant improvement in cravings, it did seem to have an effect on my hormones, which is very odd. I have a regular menstrual cycle, but after starting this medication, I experienced three full periods in about five weeks. The irregularity stopped after I stopped taking naltrexone. I'm now starting acampostate (Campral)."

MHVA August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I just want to let everyone know Suboxone withdrawal can happen days after last dose. It's not the shot that makes you sick. As for feeling lethargic and lazy as well as everything else, Welcome to recovery. It can an take several months for your body to recover back to normal. That means having energy, good appetite, sleeping normally, regular bowel movements. And that can all happen even if your not on the vivitrol shot and just doing cold turkey. So please people do your research before you post information that could sway someone from taking this method of recovery. Because it could decide on if they live or die. And yes I am talking from experience."

Tom83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence: "I was on 120 mg a day of Percocets 4 over 5 years and I went to a Naltrexone program end I received an implant and it cured me I've been clean now for over 2 months and have no cravings.The public needs to know about this because the government and rehabs are all about making money. They give you another addictive drug to get off of, an addictive drug and then you have to get off of the drug that they give you . It is a vicious cycle that has to be stopped because there are other alternatives. The problem is insurance companies will not pay for this type of treatment, they will only pay for Rehab which they are in cahoots with and they both make millions of dollars and it is sickening that's why people need to speak up to the government"

Daddypop1234 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "People, if you are switching from methadone or buprenorphine (Suboxone) , do NOT get the shot right away. Both methadone and buprenorphine are long acting opiates. When a medical professional tells you that you need to stay clean for 5-7 days, they are speaking of short acting opiates. Heroin, OC, OP, OHC, and I'm sure the other codeine derivatives have a much shorter half-life (a measure of how long they stay in your body) than do methadone and buprenorphine. If you are trying to switch from one of the long acting opiates to the naltrexone shot, personally I would switch to a shorter acting opiate for two week, then stay clean off the for 4-5 days, and then get the shot. I understand this may not sit well with some people."

RussiaInMil (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "At age 23 I quit drinking for fun and started drinking to medicate. For the next 14 years I hardly went a day without a drink (half a fifth a night on average). I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to cut back let alone quit. After getting an ultimatum from my girlfriend, I went to a doctor and was given Naltrexone and Wellbutrin. I didn't set any goals or give myself any rules. When I tried to drink like usual I found none of the joy, only headaches and a general miserable feeling. Six months later, I haven't bought a fifth in three months and the thought of drinking makes me ill. It's been a miracle for me."

exvodkalover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hi, I had a Naltrexone implant inserted three days ago after being alcohol free for 7days. Half an hour after insertion I began to experience diarrhea then extreme coldness and went to bed thinking I'd contracted gastro. Four hours later severe stomach pains ... for those experiencing these severe spasms I can suggest Imodium it certainly stopped the cramps. It's now day three, I'm still not myself, still tired but feeling content; no cravings for alcohol or chocolate or coffee; small appetite! Feel like I did when I was pregnant 22 years ago ! slightly nauseated all the time couldn't touch coffee, tea or alcohol. Very few people talk about severe stomach cramps as a side effect and wanted to be able to suggest the Imodium."

MissCb (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Received my 2nd injection this week. So far, so good! No cravings and no discernible side effects from the shot. This has become a very tool in my sobriety toolbox, which includes AA, outpatient counseling and antidepressants. And, of course, my higher power, who I call the God. This shot is definitely worth a shot. ☺️"

Milo9116 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am beyond excited. I have struggled and Tried Everything.. .nothing worked just worse and worse relapses and shear hell of a Deep fear/Shame. Shut myself away. Just started week 4. I had bad nausea but it left on day 5. I just reduced and stayed on 25mgs. Then up to 50mgs as instructed by Dr and the C3Foundation. The latter is a brilliant support forum in the journey. The 1st, 3 days a bottle of red wine lasted all that time!! I do believe, however, having read Dr David Sinclair's book:"The Cure for Alcoholism, that extinction of much reduction to safe levels does take at least 3-4 months. It is a miracle! Wish I had found before all my detoxes, nasty punishing treatment centre where I was stripped naked to search me, AA etc. It works"

SoAmasedbyNaltrexone (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was an alcoholic for 7 years following my divorce. I could drink a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine daily. I have been taking Naltrexone for 29 days and I can honestly say that my cravings are gone! I took my first dose in the morning and realized that was a mistake because of the sedating effects. I now take it right before bed. I also lost my appetite for about 3 days in the beginning, so I made sure to drink water and I also purchased meal replacement drinks to make sure I was getting the basic nutrition. Since starting it, I have had 2 cravings and those were following stressful days, but I didn't drink. I found it helpful to drink cranberry juice because it mimicks wine. Naltrexone changed my life!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "This shot is saving my life. The first 5 days after injection were difficult due to side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches) but they have since dissipated. I no longer feel any effects and have been clean from IV heroin for 29 days. I highly suggest this shot for anybody looking to stay off of opiates."

MyTherapistSaidSo (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichotillomania: "I have pulled my eyelashes and eyebrows since I was 12 years old-am now in my 50s. I recently tried the drug, Contrave (naltrexone and wellbutrin combo) , for weight loss and found that it got rid of my desire to pull. I take the recommended 4 pills/day but don't know how much naltrexone is in each pill. I still have the urge to pull as my usual response to anxiety but the ruminations about pulling, what to pull, where to pull have been greatly reduced. When I do pull, the feeling is very different and now feels like what one would expect when ripping out eyelashes (ouch!). I would say that the "feel" of pulling is different-the drug interrupts the pleasure of pulling and I don't feel compelled to pull more. very interesting drug."

trich info August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Perhaps most here are taking Naltrexone every day and then trying to not drink alcohol? I have not tried that. I take Naltrexone only on days I have a strong craving and then take it 1 hour before I drink the alcohol. (See Sinclair Method, Amazon’s The Cure for Alcoholism - 80% success, no need for detox.) After 2 months (drinking only on 18 days) my irrational craving for alcohol has been virtually extinguished. If I ever drink again, I will take the Naltrexone an hour before. No counselling, no AA meetings, nothing like that. All I needed to stop drinking (1 ½ to 2 bottles of wine a night for the last decade) was will-power to take the Naltrexone an hour before drinking - which was easy for me. Good luck!"

mark42 July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "As a female in my 60's with a daily wine habit, I had to use naltrexone 50 mg. One hour before alcohol consumption for many months before it had the desired effect. Read THE SINCLAIR METHOD to understand how this drug actually works. Be aware that it blocks your opiate receptors and thus do not take it within 24 hours of anesthesia."

bella89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been taking it for three days and I have no cravings but I haven't been able to keep any food or fluid down, I've been really tired. The first night I had hallucinations and was hearing voices"

Jennie s (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017