User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 57 reviews 7 medications

Opiate Dependence 60 reviews 8 medications

Fibromyalgia 14 reviews 20 medications

7.1
Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 132 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Naltrexone

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "There are no two ways about it, Vivitrol saved my life. In combination with rehabilitation in the outpatient setting (where I was referred to a local doctor who provides the shots; specializing in pain mgmt. & dependence issues), therapy, and receiving Vivitrol once monthly, my life has completely changed for the better. I am happier, less tense, less anxious, among other benefits. I was a hardcore addict, and would likely not be around still if it weren't for Vivitrol blocking the opiate receptors (no "high" at all; no matter how much you use) and it reducing cravings as well. I very highly recommend Vivitrol to those struggling with addiction. You'll see how much better your quality of life will be, and this shot can help you get there."

TheHumanRace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "highly successful, got me off 90% of pain meds, couldn't live without it."

ljcro (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "amazing. like anyone who's reading this page for help and guidance, i've been battling alcohol abuse forever. even with a wife and child and a great job that i love, i just couldn't stop. after searching the web for ANY new solution, i found naltrexone, and more specifically, the sinclair method. I'm at the end of my first week taking it. i've had drinks four times this week. took a pill an hour before drinking each time. i've had less to drink each time and tonight, i just POURED OUT two beers. absolutely unheard of. it takes the gilded edge off drinking... the thing that makes us want more and more and more? GONE. i'd have given it ten stars, but it has made me feel a little woozy. totally worth it though. GET IT NOW."

just like you (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking naltrexone about 3 days ago. 6 1/2 weeks ago, I began detox/withdrawal in an inpatient setting for anorexia. I could have never gone from a fifth of vodka a day for 2+ years without this medical intervention. After detoxing with librium I started campral (still in inpatient with no access to alcohol). I started naltrexoneon in addition to campral (and other meds for bipolar, anxiety, depression) 3 days ago. I returned home today and I'm sad to admit I chugged about 1/4 bottle, not remembering I was on naltrexone. I recognize that I'm quite heavy headed but I feel bored and lethargic rather than uninhibited as i normally would. I am so happy to have access to a drug to take away the influence alcohol had on my life."

morga July 29, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "So ive been on the shot for 4 months now and ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK U. IM ALIVE AGAIN AND SO GREATFUL AND HAPPY!! Got my life back. Im a better mother and person.. This shot saved my life. No cravings No thoughts about percs!! Just living life LIKE WE ALL DESERVE!! Xoxo NEVER GIVE UP!! Its the best choice in life u will ever make!!!"

THighSoGrateful (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I received my 2nd shot yesterday. I've been a heavy opiate mostly heroin IV user for 13 years I was put in jail for 14 days to clean out for my 1st shot. Immediately after the shot I had no cravings. I was put on xanax for anxiety cuz its been super high. I have acne due to the shot. I get leg cramps. It saved my life"

Dbags1124 July 19, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "After 16 years of opioid and heroin addiction I had tried everything. Methadone for 3years and off and on suboxone for 8 or more years, i tried hard to get off suboxone and it was horrid withdrawal so I relapsed on heroin. When I knew I might die if I kept it up, I put myself into a detox and planed to leave after. Stayed for rehab and the vivitrol was suggested I went back and fourth with my decision because I still wanted to drink. Finally I decided to get the shot. Side Effects: muscle spasms, constant stretching that felt great, decreased appetite, weight loss. The interactions with my 3mgs of clozepam are hard to explain. It's a high definitely but not one I like to much. If I take Bental for the stomac cramps I get really dipped out"

Viva trolling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a professional woman with a wonderful family and amazing career in the health sciences field but I have struggled for years with alcohol (more than 20 years in fact). I always convinced myself I could drink 1-2 glasses and then would finish up somewhere beyond 8. I missed work and family gatherings due to hangovers. I have tried so many different therapies but the only one that has worked is Naltrexone. I started only 5 days ago and the nagging ache and desire to drink is gone. I can't believe it. Please done hesitate to see your Dr and talk about it. I just didn't know I could feel like this and I am hopeful it will last. I wish you well in your search for recovery."

Anonymous July 17, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Vicitrol saved my life. After going to rehab a few times, I was exposed to the option of getting the monthly vivitrol muscular injection. The first month I was on it I tried to use opiates just to test it and see if it worked and I felt nothing. After that experience I knew that this would be more helpful than any other method. I continued getting the shot until I found out I was pregnant. With over three years clean I can say with confidence that this shot is worth it if you are serious about changing your life. I am grateful every day for the second chance it help give me."

Jrabs July 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been put on Naltrexone for 4 weeks going on five. I started taking one 5mg tablet nightly. After two weeks take 2 tablets for two weeks. I stopped increasing the dose by one for five days and my pain returned. I upped the dose to three and the pain has started to diminish greatly within 24 hours. I suffer from autoimmune disease. To add insult to my pain I was put on Ciproflaxon for a bacteria infection the first day of February and suffered from tendon and muscle damage resulting in not being able to walk severe pain in my feet like knife stabbing. Naltrexone took all my pain away evey bit of it. When My pain started to come back five days ago I started increasing my dose by a third 5mg tablet. I see my Doctor in two days."

Barbie S. July 11, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I started Vivitrol in January 2015 after getting an OUI Drugs & a heroin posession charge b/c knew I needed to stop using, but I didn't really want to. Between January and April I got my monthly shot but I still tried to use every now and then (but I couldn't get high). My insurance was cancled in May so I took the opportunity to get high. I ended up getting another OUI & spent a month in jail till my next court date. I went straight from court to my doctors office to get an injection and I've gotten 1 every 28 days since (07/15 - 07/16). I'm not sure how Vivitrol effected my cravings because my first time on it, the thought of giving up heroin was devastating to me. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted getting high. LOVE VIVITROL!!"

Mr Clean (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "7-13-16 will be my 4th injection I'm looking forward to it. I have had problems with opiates and alcohol threw out my life. Vivitrol has saved my life. The injection made me SUPER sensitive to everything hygiene products with alcohol in it certain glaucoma drops. Over the counter medications. Rough joint pain and I am not complaining. I can handle any side effect from Vivitrol because its so much better than being on drugs. Who ever came up with Vivitrol injections I want to thank you for saving my life. If any body truely wants to be clean give Vivitrol a try."

Annaybell June 28, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "Unfortunately this medication gave me chronic, explosive diarrhea. I took 50mg per day and could only last a week. It also gave me painful muscle spasms in my back. I'm not usually a person that is effected by side effects but this was a nightmare."

Chronic Diarrhea Muscle Cramps (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I just spent six years in the penitentiary, as an ex drug addict this shot was offered to me as an option and alternative to other opiate blockers. So far I have taken two of the injections one while in prison and the second as I left the facility. So far so good. Some minor joint pain and a few aches. They were able to be worked thru with a little walkin and exercise. No cravings and definitely no thoughts about tryin ANY opiates after seeing the results first hand. The withdrawal it causes is life threatening. Its not worth it.the nanoxolene is good for our situations. If you really want to get clean give it a whirl!"

exfelon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "Take 50 mg. a day for 2 years. Been abstinent from alcohol. No side effects. Do not even know you are taking it. Craving for alcohol left the first month."

komoto (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2016

For Opiate Dependence: "You cannot avoid opiates without Naltrexone being addictive mindset we continue push our efforts in getting next fix but if there is no reward I mean high then wants the use being opiate user for last 10 years tried almost every opiate available I could say that this is one pill or shot you must not forget to take although initially there is trouble sleeping,loose bowel(very bad) sex drive nil but I hope this is temporary since only been week or so taking this pill earlier taken for two.months then relapsed that's why it's important to remind yourself that this pill can only save your life,All the best to recovering addicts"

Rsgvan (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "Are you desperate? Are you feeling defeated? I'm on day three after fighting alcoholism every day for the better part of the year. In and out of AA, trying different medications... This drug feels that anxious hungry void you have from abstaining from alcohol. It makes you not want, it makes your mind feel heavy but not high, you relax and don't think about drinking. Addiction is a problem of chemistry, when you quit you are fighting the own chemical make up of your brain. Curing alcoholism should not be uncomfortable, and this drug should be prescribed more by physicians. I bought a six pack last night, and lost interest when I started the second beer. Today I have no desire to to drink, I could take it or leave it. Great so far!"

Anonymous 34 yo female (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!"

BD84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Can not enjoy sex over 2 minutes, can not stay erect and can not ejaculate."

dontcum (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I've had 9 surgerys to my right foot from 2006-2014.. I've had any and all pain meds you can imagine. Obviously got addicted taking 8-10 percs a day.. Beside when I got pregnant I didn't take any but after this last surgery in Jan I promised myself and for my kids to do anything in my power to quit... Found out about this shot and it works wonders I'm so grateful I got my life back. GOT MY 1st SHOT 10 days ago.. NO CRAVINGS TOTALLY NORMAL FEELING... CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE BEING SOBER N LIVING LIFE HOW I REALLY DESERVED!!!! #27 days clean"

Thighsograteful (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

For Opiate Dependence: "I have been an IV opiate user for many years. I had an insanely large habit ($750-$1000day). After attending rehab, I was put on the Vivitrol injection. I had been clean for 20 days by the time I go the injection. I did still have cravings, as I was so early into recovery and had been using for so long. However, after about a week of being on the shot, I relapsed on 3.5g of heroin, and felt nothing. It can't be overrode. I spent the next year shooting. And finally started to take the pill form. The pill form will block any opiate for 3-5 days (in my experience). I am now 9 months clean, and very rarely have cravings."

Steven87 April 20, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Hello again, I'm following up on my first review from January 27th of 2016. I've now had 4 Vivitrol injections and gotta say, it's worked wonders. The first injection, as I said, caused migraines, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Every injection I've recieved since has been good. No symptoms whatsoever, only positive results. I've been clean since November 17th of 2015. This shot is truly a lifesaver, my cravings are less frequent and very short lived. I reccomend this shot to anyone struggling with opioid dependency. My next injection is tomorrow and I'm sure the results will be the same as the last 3."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "My experiance with this medication is not that bad. I have all of the side effects that has been listed I've had 4 doses and have not had a drink in 4 months ."

Mr. AC April 4, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Regional Sympathetic Distrophy .I started LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone, 4.5mg) during a Stanford double blind trial in January 2016 and received a months supply. During the first week I felt some of the muscle cramping associated with Naltrexone but that and my nerve pain subsided after about a week. The next three weeks sailed by and my activity level increased as I was essentially free of CRPS/RSD nerve pain. The chronic pain in my lower back was significantly decreasing too. When my supply ran out I experienced some of the CRPS/RSD pain but not at the level I'd had before. That wasn't the case with my chronic lower back pain and that came rearing back. It was a month before my Dr could get me the compounded LDN. Again, my pain has dissipated. Weening off Gabapentin soon!"

Greg in OR March 17, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I still don't know if cravings and anxiety are one and the same, but I've been on this for 6 months. I notice a lot of headaches, increased anxiety, depression, insomnia and male sexual problems. I still need 0.5 mg Xanax 5 times a day for the anxiety, and Ambien CR for insomnia. The product coordination nurses deny that this causes male sexual side effects, I've had sex twice in 6 months on Vivitol, and that includes my honeymoon. I think Vivitrol helped me the most by making it clear that if I tried any opiates, I could overdose immediately and die. So I've put up with the side-effects, but I hope to be off this in 1 year. And, yes, I want my sex life back."

Otter773 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2016