User Reviews for Naltrexone

7.4

Trichotillomania

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 8.2 315 reviews

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Alcohol Dependence: "55yr old professional female. Not the wonder drug I had hoped it would be. Tried it for two months and it did not work."

Kim October 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Been using a few months for weight loss. Doesn't do much for that but I've lost 90% of my desire to drink alcohol. I'm using 5-7 mg per night and the desire to drink is gone. My doctor prescribes me 50mg which I cut up into 10ths. It's dirt cheap. You can get almost a years worth of low dose Naltexolone out of a 30 count 50mg prescription."

RFM October 6, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I'm 39 and been drinking practically daily for 25 years. Mostly just beer but it got to the point where 15 beers a night was the norm. Wife and I decided to quit and she did cold turkey (of course) but I didn't go so easy. My med doctor recommended Vivitrol and I thought "what the hell". Took a shot in the butt that day and when I left I decided to test it. Drank as normal but magically the pleasure of drinking just wasn't there. I would physically feel the effects but it was not pleasant and the hangover as if I were in high school. That was the last time I drank...nearly two weeks ago. Cravings are very sparse and I'm seeing the world differently. I feel better, people say I look better, and my social anxiety doesn't seem anywhere near what it used to be. Essentially I just feel more confident. This is a miracle drug at this point as I haven't been sober this long since before I was allowed to drive. Good luck to you all."

DSC (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I'm on my 4 month if vivitrol. I haven't drank at all. I only think about drinking again when emotionally triggered. I think the drug is doing it's job and will continue. I am tired and depressed but that's just part of this whole clean up process. A+ vivitrol."

Sandilikeabeach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I came across Naltrexone almost two years ago and have been very thankful that I did. Alcoholism runs in my family but I never thought it would happen to me. I had my Master’s, a great job and good friends. Somehow I found myself addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. I was blacking out all the time and losing friends and relationships quickly. I began researching what could help me because I couldn’t stop on my own. I started taking Naltrexone a long with harm reduction group therapy and it saved my life and my friendships. I took it everyday at first, then switched to the vibitrol injections, but then back to taking the pill on an as needed based. I choose to take it most days but sometimes I forget. It takes away the need to continue drinking and allows me to finally have just one drink when I go out. This has been a game changer. You can still drink on this medication, but it helps you stay in control."

Aluckyone (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I had to stop my injections because of bad skin reactions, pain at the injection site, hematoma at injection site, hard lump (which is still there now) at site. My doctor said I can’t do it anymore. I have to take Naltrexone pills. I’m worried that all I have to do to get high again is not take the pills again. One day at a time I guess."

Ann (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 24, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "First of all I do not agree that this shot gives lack of energy and bad mood. Those are symptoms of acute withdraw and depression due to early sobriety. Many of my friends swear by this shot. For me personally I love it. I have no craving for opioids or alcohol completely. As with many of my friends the shot gave me an awesome surge of energy about 10 days after going on naltroxine! The injection site was sore for a week but it's the only side effect that I got. I highly recommend this medicine as it's noticeably making me feel great."

Smoky (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Was on suboxone for years and tampered with it to be able to use heroin consistently. Have been off heroin 10 months and suboxone 6.. got onto Vivitrol 6 months ago, and at first felt like garbage. Though it was the vivitrol because I always felt fine taking suboxone, but in reality it was my body adjusting to being without an opioid.. after 2 months, I started feeling better. Forcing myself to exercise has helped a ton.. now when I get my viv shot, I feel a little lethargic and unmotivated for the first few days, but it goes away .. honestly, worth the annoyance for saving a life."

Tbird (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have had a seriously out of control drinking problem for 4 years. Always a problem drinker but controllable-ish; I then had weight loss surgery and drinking went off the rails! Cravings, low low tolerance, sober to blackout drunk in 30 min with 4 drinks. Tried to quit many times. Fast forward, I am sick of being a drunken asshole so I asked Dr. for an RX of Naltrexone. Hubby out of town, bought a bottle of vodka and filled the prescription. I took 1 tab 1 hour before making a drink. I have had 2 drinks and feel a little tipsy as in symptoms of having drank with out the fun buzz. None. Period. IT WORKS!! I have the house to myself and a bottle of vodka but I don't want to drink at all. I actually feel slightly woozy. Yep. It works!"

AlcoholSucks (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has reduced both my pain and fatigue. It’s made a huge difference to me. I was at the point of giving up work but on LDN I’m able to keep working. Initially I had a few nights of disturbed sleep but now no side effects except the good ones!"

Beanie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Could not quit without it!"

Colliebudz (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was an opiate user for close to 20 years. I've been on vivitrol for a month now. I have zero desire to use and to be honest have a hard time even remembering the way the opiates made me feel. I think a lot if people are confusing their regular post-acute withdrawal symptoms with the vivitrol side effects. I personally think vivitrol is saving my life."

Lil evil (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Day 2 on Naltrexone. I used to take Topamax for 6 months but stopped because the side affects were horrific! Couldn't remember words, memory loss, Speech impediment, brain fog, hypoglycemia, piercing headaches, nightmares, and depression and really dark thoughts! I pray that naltraxone works as my drinking is ruining my life. Heavy drinker 15 years. I have become a bit of a hermit as I prefer to drink at home so my friends and family don't know how much I actually drink (1-2 bottles wine every day). Also to avoid making an ass of myself - which I have done on way too many occasions. The only times I had alcoholic free day was because I way over did it and was way too hungover. I need so badly for this to work as AA is out. I don't believe in it -for me-I know it has worked for many people but I also know many that it did nothing for many others. I do see a therapist."

kookla54 July 13, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been getting the shot for four months now. I love how it helps with cravings. I have noticed though, that about a week before I'm due for my next shot. I get very irritable. Also feel more tired than usual. I can deal with the tiredness but the irritability can be unbearable."

Bekkyboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was an addict for 20 years. Mainly opiates. I decided to seek help and got into a mat program that provides Vivitrol injections for free and Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). That's awesome and everything because I've been wanting to be on Vivitrol for a year at least but I didn't think it was possible because I didn't have insurance. So I went through the whole withdrawal process because you have to be clean to get the shot and then when I got the shot I thought everything was going to be great. I was wrong. The first five days I could not eat or sleep. After that I have been feeling a lot better but my anxiety has been out the roof. And the injection site still hurts sometimes even after 3 weeks. Next week I'm due to get my second shot and I'm hoping it will be better. It kind of seemed like I was on chemo because the first 5 days after the shot had such terrible side effects."

Steph (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I’m so excited to try this!!! Got got the script last night and enjoyed one final bottle of red wine. I was never physically addicted and didn’t drink every day but I can’t stop thinking about drinking and I white knuckle it on those days I just can’t drink because either spouse is home or I have very important commitments or I’m hung over and can’t fathom a drink. I am the first patient my doc ever prescribed this too, I sent him the article on it and we are both hopefully anticipating a good outcome. The other comments give me so much hope. AA isn't working for me, I can’t pray away a real medical problem, Though I still go for the sober community and the other helpful tips and self reflection. My feeling is grab EVERYTHING you can to fight this!!!"

Drunknurse (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am 40 years old and my issue with alcohol use disorder started about 4-5 years ago, after a bad break up. I noticed that, slowly but surely, my drinking habits of going out with friends to have wine or cocktails a few times per week eventually turned into a few days here and there at home, alone; eventually, it became nearly 5-7 days a week with 3 days of non-drinking days sprinkled in for good measure. Once I started with naltrexone at 50 mg., I noticed immediate results and as time went by, I craved less, thought about alcohol less and overall, reduced my drinking by nearly 3/4... fast forward a year, I got lazy and thought somehow that I was "cured" from AUD (Alochol Use Disorder). Boy, was I wrong. It was a huge mistake to skip taking Naltrexone... So, I am starting from scratch and intend to treat my AUD like I'm taking care of a baby."

Thomas (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I had high hopes for Vivitrol, and I see that it blocks the receptors, but the cravings persisted. I have only had one shot so far, so maybe it will work out better over time."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Recieved my first injection of Vivatrol and had reaction the next morning to the drug. Swelling in the face and chills with sweats alternating and anxiety. With the drug however I did notice a lack of desire for drinking but it's hard to compare with the reaction I'm having. The Doctor is pulling me off of this medication."

Kevin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I received the Vivitrol shot 3 days ago for alcohol dependency. So far it has helped with the craving to want to drink. The side effects that I have is I’m constantly tired and have no motivation. I just feel blank and withdrawn from the world. I hear this lasts for only 4 days or so I truly hope that’s true. Hopefully my body adjust to this medication (injection) so I can get up out of bed and enjoy life again. I’m just so not used to being down I’m normally full of energy and have motivation to do things. Fingers crossed."

Lynelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "This has absolutely been a life changer! I could not live without it."

Lori (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medication is a life saver. First day I took 25mg at 6pm and by 7pm my addict brain completely shut up. A miracle, my life has changed so much. No more white knuckling days and weeks of sobriety until the next relapse which was a miserable existence. Now it is easy"

Happy now May 9, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I never considered myself to be an alcoholic and thought addiction was mind over matter. I was completely wrong! After 40, divorced and children grown. My glass of wine turned into half a bottle etc, etc. I thought about wine many times throughout the day. When I drank, I drank fast, quick to have another. THIS WAS NOT THE LIFE I WANTED TO LIVE and I COULD NOT STOP. I had seen Naltrexone on CBS Sunday Morning and decided to ask my physician. The medicine did not come with proper instructions! I take the medicine 1 hour before drinking and mid-day to early evening to prevent insomnia. The results were immediate and after 3 months I no longer feel addicted but still enjoy an occasional glass of wine. The best thing is that I am in control and can achieve my goals without alcohol interference. God bless Dr. Sinclair and the makers of Naltrexone! How about the drug makers updating the directions to include The Sinclair Method and make claim that Naltrexone can reverse the addiction!"

Moebarnes4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a 55 year old female with 2 children in college, a wonderful husband and a great job. I have been an on again off again heavy drinker my entire adult life. Since my children have left, my drinking has gotten way out of control. I have been able to hide this and have no idea how. I have felt helpless the last few years and was even starting to accept my life would be cut short because of drinking. I have been taking this drug for about a week. I can handle the side effects. I’m sure it’s a mix between the medicine and alcohol withdrawal. Completely a miracle. I am also losing weight and smoking less. I do recommend taking this at night."

Gettinbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "My husband started this medication 6mo ago for alcohol and cocaine /crack addiction . I have dealt with utter hell for 7 yrs although he has been an addict for 15 yrs . I am so grateful for naltrexone , I never thought that he would agree to take the med because he railed against being on something forever . Finally he came home one day and said " I'm taking a new med for substance abuse" . He has been clean for 6 mo, which is the longest he has ever been in his life , he is a completely different man and I love the person who created this drug. Thank you for changing our lives ."

Meg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2018