User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 112 reviews 7 medications

7.2
Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 216 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Opiate Dependence: "My doctor had me take this medication, saying it worked as a good pain med for one of her patients. Knowing I was on pain medication methadone, she wrote the script. 45 minutes after taking naltrexone. I started convulsing, sweating, was taken to ER, the last thing I remember was loosing my bowels. I woke up in ICU 2 days later. I have filed a complaint with the proper authorities. I have osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis. I've had one hip replaced. After 10 yrs of doctors and the medical association, I'm scared to trust anyone."

WokeinICU (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "For those researching this medication, or other "opiate inhibitors" for alcohol abuse disorder, please read the info on the web such as "The Sinclair Method." Sinclair is the doctor behind discovery that these meds block the reaction to alcohol. I'm suggesting this as these meds are often prescribed somewhat incorrectly. It's not "magic" for most but what works for 80% of those who follow the protocol is a slower de-addiction process requiring you to continue drinking. Many practitioners prescribe "take every day w/abstinence" but the "miracle" in this type of med is that it DE-ADDICTS you and changes the neuronic uptake. For most it's not an overnight cure but a longer process. It has been successful in several double-blind studies."

BlenderMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm on Naltrexone now at 11 weeks following TSM, take the med 1 hour b4 drinking. Wine drinker. My cravings eased some and the "taste" isn't as good, even really good wine doesn't have the same appeal. Consumption has dropped, but more so in the number of days/week. I have gone from 5 or 6 days per week to now 3, altho the amount of drinks per session is the same or up a bit. I now drink lighter whites with less alcohol, not heavy reds. I'm 60 yr old woman, no other program. I'm encouraged, will stick with it, but was hoping to feel less craving by now. In reflection the run up to my problem is over 15 years. Never a binge drinker, didn't drink in my teens, 20s or much in 30s. From all my reading and research I do think I'll be in control again"

SpyGirl278 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Taken the Vivitrol Shot for 6 months. It's amazing! I would be dead without it. I was addicted to Heroin for years and nearly died several times. Why is this drug not encouraged for others. It's rarely used? It saved my life."

IV Heroin User (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Hello, I am coming off of suboxone. It has been 24 hours since the shot was administered. I feel great. Now rewind... at 1 pm I got the shot. By 2pm the withdrawals kicked in. I wasn't vomiting or anything but was very sleepy and dizzy. I went to bed. By 6 am the next morning I felt 60% better. I got up had a cup of coffee, and felt great. By 1pm (24 hours) I am about 90% percent better. I would just like to give people some encouragement. The reviews on here scared me as well. I tapered myself down before getting the shot...and I feel so far so good! It can be done! You do not have to sit home and withdrawal for weeks and even months. Everyone's body is different but I highly recommend this!"

Positive_Minds June 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I had a choice between the suboxene which then I wouldn't be able to take my adderall or the vivitral which I can take with any meds. So of course I did the half pill test in the Dr's office and sat for 15 mins to see if I would have bad reaction. I was ok so then we went ahead and did the shot. I was excited to finally get this burden of the opiates that led to suboxene then stuck without knowing what to do. I'm done, don't want to live on this anymore...it's not living. I went in and did this shot and at first I freaked out when I got home like my body went into instant withdrawal . My body was spasming and I was freaked out. My cousin called 911 and they had given me 4 shots of ativan on top of two of my 2mg klonopin that I barely take."

Geeena (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medication seemed to work for a couple of days then the cravings were right back. It also caused horrible itching rashes only my legs to the point my skin was sloughing off. To make matters even worse it sent me into a terrible fit of depression. To those it works for I wish you the best of luck."

TheFatOne (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "This is seriously amazing, I will always remember the day I took it, I had a moment of realisation that the craving had gone, the constant battle in my head had stopped. I was a heavy habitual binge drinker . The only thing I would say is you have to want to quit drinking or there is no point, take it daily. I took it thinking I could still have a drink if I wanted one if craving got to much, but in all honesty I just don't want to drink, I would have to force myself I think!?! 5 weeks in and I haven't drank, no stress or anxiety, I've been around alcohol, parties, bars and I just don't want it. It's brilliant! Early side effects of dizziness and nausea, odd dreams but that passes in 2 weeks! Do it!"

SDO35Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "On 50 mg for 5 days taking in the morning. Am 50 yrs old in and out of rehab my last 3 walked out. Am presently attending pretreatment for intensive outpatient. Want my life back, alcohol has been a way for me to deal with problems. 1st day was bad, very achy muscles, joint pain, very tired, bad headaches, want to sleep, anxious, nervous. Too much side effects to even think of drinking. 5th day worse than the 1st day. Wondering if the injection is any better than the daily dose."

MorteNaomi May 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking a daily dose 3 days ago. I poured myself a drink today as an 'experiment', and noticed right away the smell of the alcohol seemed different and was a real turn-off. I nursed the drink for almost an hour, which is almost unheard of for me (I'm a chugger). I finished the drink more out of obligation of the experiment than anything, and I never got the usual 'buzz' I'd get. Now I have a slight headache and I'm a bit tired. Honestly, if any future drinking feels like this then I can definitely see how this will curb my drinking as there is no reward anymore. And I've been trying to get control of this for 10+ years, therapy, counselling, rehab, AA, etc."

midge12345 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started this 3 days ago with nausea as the only side effect so far. I had cut my drinking in half before I started it but couldn't just stop completely. I am also taking Chantix for smoking which I have been on for almost one month. Still at the half way mark with my drinking so I hope soon I will be able to stop completely. Not sure how much time I should give it?"

TR 808 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started 2 days ago. Did not drink yesterday. Urge was markedly lower. The urge to drink today is practically non-existent. I think I could totally abstain from alcohol if I want, using this. It's like a switch has been flipped. That insane, unsatisfiable CRAVING has been diminished quite a lot. Very pleased."

j22211 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have fibromyalgia, Sjögren's syndrome and central pain sensitisation. I started taking Low Dose Naltrexone slowly building up to 4mg but felt it too much as it made me feel agitated. Reduced to 3.5mg which is good for me. Initially straight away I felt more energy and my mood lifted. Helped sjogrens considerably - mouth not so dry. Somewhat reduced pain. Sleep better. I've been on it for 8 month and I get the feeling it's not working as well now. Maybe my body has got use to it and it's not as effective. And I have noticed hoarse voice, memory problems, cramping, waking more often in night, and irritability which I read can be side effects. Thinking I may either reduce or go off all together to see what happens. NZ dollars $59 a month."

Sangoma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a 27 yr old alcoholic. As soon as college came alcohol took a hold on my life. I started Naltrexone 4 days ago and haven't had the urge to drink at all. However, I always have a headache. The nausea comes and goes. Appetite is down and I'm usually fatigued/tired. Hope the side effect begin to taper off soon. If they do, this drug might really change my life!"

Anonymous May 15, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Began Naltrexone about 2 and a half weeks ago. After 3 days had to stop for a day or so and then start back on 25 mg due to really bad nausea. Took 25mg for 2 days had virtually no side effects and then back up to 50 mg. I have the rare headache but am sleeping well and feeling fine. My drinking has decreased incredibly. Some nights I can only manage a glass of wine, this is amazing since I was a bottle a night drinker. Weight is slowly dropping which is great but have started craving dark chocolate. "

Sydneysider (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Been fighting alcoholism and eating disorders for over 25yrs. If I don't drink I binge/purge. Everyday. I obsess about alcohol/food. Or did until I started with a half a pill yesterday afternoon. Like a switch my cravings were turned off. I even walked by the liquor store to "tempt" myself...nothing...from what I have read about similar reactions to this drug, I am hopeful for the first time that I may have found an answer. I just wonder why it has taken so long for a doctor to prescribe this? If you are considering this please go now and ask for a prescription before anymore of your life is wasted!!"

no more wasted days (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Can anyone explain why the doctor at my local clinic was a completely disgusted with me for NOT wanting to receive the Vititrol injection? I'm not in trouble with the law, but I did get caught using Suboxone, which I have been off of for over two weeks. They said I would get to know this doc. Would talk to him. Tell him my story. Well, the nurses must have tipped him off. He was defensive right off the bat. Asking why I wouldn't think it a good idea. Then basically read a list of bullet points from his laptop on success rates and how without this i will almost certainly fail. Ive never felt like this. He had no other options but to go back on Suboxone. (Not gonna happen) He slammed his laptop and said we're done. ?????"

JEphro May 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "I have a patient with fibromyalgia in Kent UK who was given Low-dose naltrexone by another physician. Her energy improved and her pain reduced so much that she was able to return to working 20 hours a week. I am currently trying it on a second patient."

Dr Chris Bowman May 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "First day on 25mg feeling tired, sometimes cold, hot, but NO wantings. not particularly hungry either. just reading that this drug should not be taken until a week before alcohol is out of system.?? from what I am reading here, people just drank till when they started taking naltrexone. true? good info here for beginners, thank you all for sharing, very helpful. I believe this is going to work for me, so I can get back on track with my life."

metm (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "This is my second time receiving the Vivtrol injection. It is very effective for Alcohol and Opiate dependence. I have had very little cravings for either drugs. My side effects were minimal. I highly recommend this drug for the disease of Addiction."

Grace/Mercy April 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started taking Naltrexone for the first time on April 26, 2017. I turned 50 this year and have had a secret battle with alcohol for 30 years. I have sought help through drug rehabs and GP in the past who have given me Campral and asked me to do some therapy CBT. Unfortunately Campral did absolutely nothing for me. I tried it many times and it just didn't work at all. CBT was a waste of time for me too. All through my struggle I managed to keep a good job, raise kids and not many people would of thought that each day I would stop at the bottle shop and buy a bottle of wine or two. All I can say is Naltrexone looks like the drug that has saved me. I am using TSM and it's day 4 and the thought of drinking makes me feel ill."

Sydneysider (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I have been a opiate user fir 15 years and yes they were prescribed and yes I still abused them. I first got off of oxycontin by using Suboxone which I bought off the streets. Sooo, I decided to try this miracle injection. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I don't know what's on this injection, but I've been sick for 5 days. I will wait for this drug to wear off and go back To the subs. Thanks for letting me vent"

Selma sur (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started Naltrexone 3 days ago. Cravings have subsided but the sedated feeling remained. Dr. advised to take it before bedtime to help with the side effects. Going to try taking it in the evening before bed and will let you know my thoughts. I'd like to function in the day and not be dizzy. Keep you posted! Stay strong my resilient ppl."

Wineoholic April 21, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been taking Naltrexone 50mg for approximately 3 months. Unfortunately, I am still over drinking and at times, almost weekly, have blackouts. I am consuming typically 5 to 7 beers. Why am I not seeing the results yet, I was so sold on this method and ready for change. I done AA before and had 2 years sober. High functioning problem drinker maybe 2 to 3 times a week. If I go to 100mg, will this help. "

blkout (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I'm on vivitrol and I have no side effects and I'm doing fabulous I have no desire to use I was an IV user for 13 years and vivitrol saving my life"

Alynnf April 2, 2017