User Reviews for Naltrexone

7.4

Trichotillomania

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 8.2 298 reviews

Reviews for Naltrexone

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I had high hopes for Vivitrol, and I see that it blocks the receptors, but the cravings persisted. I have only had one shot so far, so maybe it will work out better over time."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Recieved my first injection of Vivatrol and had reaction the next morning to the drug. Swelling in the face and chills with sweats alternating and anxiety. With the drug however I did notice a lack of desire for drinking but it's hard to compare with the reaction I'm having. The Doctor is pulling me off of this medication."

Kevin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I received the Vivitrol shot 3 days ago for alcohol dependency. So far it has helped with the craving to want to drink. The side effects that I have is I’m constantly tired and have no motivation. I just feel blank and withdrawn from the world. I hear this lasts for only 4 days or so I truly hope that’s true. Hopefully my body adjust to this medication (injection) so I can get up out of bed and enjoy life again. I’m just so not used to being down I’m normally full of energy and have motivation to do things. Fingers crossed."

Lynelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "This has absolutely been a life changer! I could not live without it."

Lori (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medication is a life saver. First day I took 25mg at 6pm and by 7pm my addict brain completely shut up. A miracle, my life has changed so much. No more white knuckling days and weeks of sobriety until the next relapse which was a miserable existence. Now it is easy"

Happy now May 9, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I never considered myself to be an alcoholic and thought addiction was mind over matter. I was completely wrong! After 40, divorced and children grown. My glass of wine turned into half a bottle etc, etc. I thought about wine many times throughout the day. When I drank, I drank fast, quick to have another. THIS WAS NOT THE LIFE I WANTED TO LIVE and I COULD NOT STOP. I had seen Naltrexone on CBS Sunday Morning and decided to ask my physician. The medicine did not come with proper instructions! I take the medicine 1 hour before drinking and mid-day to early evening to prevent insomnia. The results were immediate and after 3 months I no longer feel addicted but still enjoy an occasional glass of wine. The best thing is that I am in control and can achieve my goals without alcohol interference. God bless Dr. Sinclair and the makers of Naltrexone! How about the drug makers updating the directions to include The Sinclair Method and make claim that Naltrexone can reverse the addiction!"

Moebarnes4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a 55 year old female with 2 children in college, a wonderful husband and a great job. I have been an on again off again heavy drinker my entire adult life. Since my children have left, my drinking has gotten way out of control. I have been able to hide this and have no idea how. I have felt helpless the last few years and was even starting to accept my life would be cut short because of drinking. I have been taking this drug for about a week. I can handle the side effects. I’m sure it’s a mix between the medicine and alcohol withdrawal. Completely a miracle. I am also losing weight and smoking less. I do recommend taking this at night."

Gettinbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "My husband started this medication 6mo ago for alcohol and cocaine /crack addiction . I have dealt with utter hell for 7 yrs although he has been an addict for 15 yrs . I am so grateful for naltrexone , I never thought that he would agree to take the med because he railed against being on something forever . Finally he came home one day and said " I'm taking a new med for substance abuse" . He has been clean for 6 mo, which is the longest he has ever been in his life , he is a completely different man and I love the person who created this drug. Thank you for changing our lives ."

Meg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have only had this drug for a few weeks now. I cannot even believe the difference it made the very first time I took it. I took about an hour before I went down for a happy hour event. I grabbed a glass of wine and fully expected it to feel the same way it always does which is a nice warm glowy feeling as I drink it. Instead it tasted like cardboard and suddenly I didn’t want it. I was so floored and amazed at the difference it made I had tears of joy! Tears!! I have never in all of my life felt like that. I started drinking when I was 14 in Europe and really started down a path to heavy drinking around the last 10 years. It was just way too easy to drink down a bottle of wine and follow it up with another. This medication has made it possible for me to have control finally over something I never thought I would have control over !!! Also, Great side effect of this drug for me is the fact that I don’t want to eat as much as well and now I’m losing weight!"

Alaskanbabe April 13, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been on this drug for 2 weeks the first two days I could not even finish half of my mixed drink but then after that I could drink and not get high off of it but now past few days I can drink with it and get a buzz for a short period of time has anybody else had this experience is this normal?"

Little Bit (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I’ve struggled with alcohol dependency for years, averaging about a pint or so of hard liquor most nights of the week. Naltrexone was a life changer. The first time, I took it an hour before pouring myself a small glass of whiskey. I drank it, enjoyed it, but weirdly enough, I felt no desire for a second glass. I kept this up for a week or so, at which point I didn’t feel any cravings for booze anymore. In my case, I no longer need to take Naltrexone on a daily basis. The cravings are simply gone. I only take it when I’m going to be in a situation where I’ll be drinking socially."

JT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I’m As a combat vet I ended up inpatient treatment at the VA. At first I was prescribed suboxone. Suboxone worked well while I was in inpatient. After treatment I relapsed and quickly fell. It got to a point quickly that I didn’t want to live anymore. I went back to the same inpatient treatment. I had 3 options Methodone (pushes the opiate receptor 100%). Suboxone (push’s it slightly). Vivitrol-blocks the receptor for a month. I tried vivitrol. I can tell you being 8 months sober that it is amazing. It is not just the medicine. Number one: is the desire to change. Number 2:-the knowledge I received through the VA. I have friends that have similar results "

Alive March 31, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Listen up. It's probably worth the risk of trying it for a month to see if you get the side effects or not. I did I got extreme anxiety, depressing thoughts, and fatigue. Constant stretching and 0 motivation in the first five days. Then it's gets a little better so I don't know it drove me to go smoke meth but I didn't do heroin or want to. and now that I have made it through the 5 days of side effects I guess I could say it's worth it."

Ryguy March 26, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This has saved my life! I'm a 33 year old and have had an alcohol dependence since I was in my 20's. I can't tell you the messes I've been in while drunk. I've lied to myself that I had it under control or that I could stop at any time. It's a lie. There was no "off" switch for me, there is no having just one drink. My life revolved around my next drink. I'd sit at work all day waiting to leave so I could race home for my first drink. On weekends, I'd wake up hungover and just start drinking again. I've ruined relationships, all because of alcohol. I've been on this for a month & I haven't had ONE DRINK. It's amazing and I find myself crying out of happiness! My life has been saved by this drug and yours can be, too! Don't give up hope, I nearly did. I haven't experienced any side effects of this medication. The cravings just aren't there, it's so weird! I'm learning how to live a life without alcohol, it's weird and like my life has started over again. Please don't be afraid to try this!!"

jjmw March 21, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "My problem is I don't want the sick, irritable and withdrawaling feeling at all. I can't handle it. I have beat IV version use several times but didn't last long any suggestions."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was at an all time low five days ago and been to rehab 2 years ago and lasted 2 weeks I wouldn’t try counselling and have deteriorated over these 2 years drinking bear around 25 cans a night, I have almost lost my family and gone through numerous friends. I now feel I can see that light and I am ready to find me again. I was sick after the first tablet but feel great and day five had 4.5 cans and stopped whilst friends carried on for another 6hours I was enjoying a glass of water and looking at my friends thinking OMG that was me, I take 50mg of Naltrexone one hour before I drink and each day I feel great and proud, you can do it too"

Bex March 12, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This drug has changed my life, if you're struggling with alcohol..find a doctor that will prescribe you this drug!! I used to not be able to stop after alcohol touched my lips. I'd drink red wine every night, closet drink so my spouse wouldn't know.. the night I started taking this pill my life transformed. The first week or two I didn't drink at all I just wasn't interested. When I decided to have a drink thats just what I did - I had A drink and stopped. I've had a few drinks here and there and been able to stop myself without thinking about it or wanting another drink. It is UNBELIEVABLE. This drug has saved me, my marriage and my family. Don't give up. Please find a doctor who will prescribe you this. I took one pill every night before bed--I did have bad insomnia the first two weeks but I stuck with it. If there is an event I know I'll be drinking I take the pill an hour before my first drink. GOOD LUCK and please find this pill if you're struggling!!!"

DS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm blessed that my doctor had the foresight to put me on naltrexone. At first I thought I was allergic to it because I vomited but I was still in withdrawal at that time. Luckily I kept taking it. Now, it seemed to take almost 2 months before I was seeing the difference. What I noticed first was that every time I thought of alcohol, I'd feel really nauseated. This went on for awhile to where now, I don't have that. I simply don't think about alcohol anymore and if I do, It's with indifference. I also think there are other factors that when combined, give you a very good chance at success. Just like always, you have to want to quit for it to have the best success rate. For me, naltrexone is nothing short of a miracle and why I have been 1 year and 1 month sober now. My advice is to stick with it, even if It seems like it's not doing anything. It took me about 7 weeks of taking it daily before I noticed the change. Best of luck."

Rick (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am using naltrexone per The Sinclair Method (TSM), meaning that I take 50mg of naltrexone one hour prior to drinking, only on the days I drink. It has helped me tremendously! I am 3 months in, and my drinking dropped 2/3rds without any will power or white knuckling. Cravings and triggers are almost non existent, my health and well-being have improved. TSM is a true scientific miracle, and more people need to know about this method! As for naltrexone itself, it is cheap generic drug, non addictive. I had very little side effects, just extreme drowsiness for the first couple of times. All naltrexone does is blocking endorphins, all the magic that happens as a result of it, is the natural processes and mechanisms of human brain that is capable of learning and extinguishing behaviours."

Jingle bells (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have had a drinking problem for 30 plus years. I have been hiding, sneaking and going out for vodka. I started Revia Feb 7th and have not had a drink or craving since. Amazing!!!!"

Cath (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started this for weight loss. I'm already on 450mg of Buproprion so just added Naltrexone 50mg. I cut the pills in half and take 25mg a day. It's cheap. 25mg made me tired at first and a bit depressed but that seems to be levelling out. I had a few beers a couple nights ago and it actually improved the feeling. Anymore I lose interest in drinking after 2 or 3 beers. I'm a long time sufferer of OCD and Dysthimia. I self medicated for years. Naltrexone doesn't help the OCD but it seems to help with the other issues. Taking the two medications creates the prescription weight loss drug "Contrave". The optimum dose of Contrave is 360mg Buproprion and 32mg Naltexone."

Ray February 28, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started oral Naltrexone per The Sinclair Method (TSM) in January of 2016, became indifferent to alcohol in July of that year. This after 30+ years of drinking every evening. Drinking does fluctuate with TSM and there's often a "Honeymoon" effect where drinking levels drop sharply when starting TSM, but jump back up. That is normal, don't let it throw you. Just keep taking the pill an hour before your first drink of the day and drinking levels will fall back down again. This up and down pattern continues throughout treatment via The Sinclair Method, but drinking levels continue to follow a downward trendline. I found it well worth sticking with TSM and it cut my drinking by over 95%. Total cost for 6 months of TSM including my doc and the meds - about $500."

Joe Sixpack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "put my autoimmune condition into remission When from c-react over 200 to 17...life is finally good"

goodfriend (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've been an alcoholic for the past 35 years I'm 52 pretty sad I tried every single way to stop, a year here, 6 months there. I thought I can just have one drink but it never ever worked. I tried every which way I could but it always round up to the same thing, drunk staggering in hospital or mental institute. I finally made the choice to get Vivitrol and it was the best thing I could have ever done I only had one shot so far and the craving is which I couldn't get rid of is gone. It's gone one shot I can't wait to get my second shot it's a miracle. Thank you Vivitrol and for anybody thinking about it seriously go for it it's worth your life I didn't get any side effects whatsoever God bless us all"

AnnaMoe1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I don't crave any opioids or drugs period. I got extremely sick though and have stayed sick."

KaylaSam February 20, 2018