User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 82 reviews 7 medications

8.9
Opiate Dependence 70 reviews 8 medications

Fibromyalgia 17 reviews 20 medications

7.3
Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 170 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm so frustrated to see EVERYONE having a positive experience with this medication, except for ME!!! Although I am happy for those it has helped, it does nothing for me but make me queasy and ruin the taste of my wine. I've been taking it about 2 1/2 months and keep hoping that one day I will look at my bottle of wine and have no desire to pop the cork. Has anyone out there had to wait this long to reap the benefits of this drug? I'm about ready to give up unless someone tells me that it took them a while to feel the effects as well...... Still hoping"

Still waiting January 9, 2017

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I am a member of a support group for a person in their mid-20's recovering from alchohol addiction. The person has been taking monthly Vivitrol injections for about 6 months. The injections have helped the cravings, but not 100%. When the person did consume alcohol (vodka) it produced severe flu like symptoms that were similar to alchohol withdrawal. Has anyone else suffered these types of symptoms drinking alchohol while on vivitrol injections?"

SupportingGroupMember Question January 8, 2017

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was addicted to opiates for 4years before this shot. I finally feel like I'm not living a double life any more! I was homeless within 6 months of first becoming dependant on heroin (IV from the start) and I've wanted to stop ever since. Will power alone is not enough! I've tried every way on my own, but now, with Vivitrol , I can be confident in my recovery. It's closing in on the end of my first month on it, it has caused some stomach cramps, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, anhedonia, and slight depression. The best comparison would be the feeling when you first start to feel withdrawal setting in. My craving levels were eliminated after administration, however toward the end of the month I'm feeling them more."

Jacqattack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

For Alcohol Dependence: "As of last Monday, I was still drinking 2 bottles of wine every night. Come Tuesday, and two bottles of wine have sat chilling in the fridge and I have zero interest in consuming them. I had been taking naltrexone as instructed 1 hour (or more sometimes just to be safe) before drinking for about a month and a half. I noticed an immediate difference in how alcohol affected me the very first day I took naltrexone, but the difference was hard to pinpoint. As time wore on though, it felt more and more like I was forcing myself to drink to battle depression, but was very aware it wasn't doing anything to help. I just don't want it anymore. Now I don't see myself drinking in the future. This drug is a miracle and I couldn't be happier."

naltrexone is incedible. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Week three after Vivitrol. Still having severe insomnia, goose bumps, depression,lack of energy and weakness. It did curb my desire for cigarettes but because I feel so horrible for so long I am craving a fix. I'm only on the fence with this injection."

Sovie201336 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Only way I can stay off of heroin and pain pills"

DJ86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm a 59 year-old chronic alcoholic on Natraxone since hospital assisted detox four weeks ago. I am also using antabuse in conjunction with Naltraxone. Both appear to be working. The Antabuse and Naltraxone are daily administered doses by my pharmacy. Due to its negative potential effect the Antabuse is the 'big gun' in the treatment which pulls me up from temptation. I have drunk on Antabuse in the past and found it most unpleasant. Naltraxone is more subtle. The craving reduction effect was, less than apparent and hard to detect initially. I have no strong desire to drink so far and remain abstinent. Sleepiness/relaxation is a welcome outcome as I am a regular night shift worker. No experience of negative effects"

New start for alcoholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I fell into alcohol dependancy a few years ago to try to cope with a bad marriage - was drinking up to two bottles of wine a night. Doctor put me on Naltrexone to help me get control. I lost the desire to drink on the first day of taking it. It's been two weeks now and I'm doing well. It's a great first step. The only side effect I've noticed is that I'm very tired, but it seems to be getting better. Now to deal with the emotions and other stuff that led me to drink in the first place. Good luck to you all."

Renewed Hope (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Have been on the shot for 2 year's now it helped me recover from alcohol but I also found it helps my major anxiety and sleep I don't think they have done enough studies on it to see what else it can help whit"

Gypsy41 December 1, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "So far so good. I have had it for two days. I am going to write a day to day journal of the side effects and how well its working here"

A Drunken Disaster November 30, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I developed a condition that had symptoms like fibromyalgia, Ms, Lupus after a surgery. I was at my worst when I discovered this drug. Low dose Naltrexone helps me a lot. I'm on 1.5 mg. I skip doses once in 3-4 days when I start feeling wired and over stimulated. Works great.. Made me feel better, helped with skin conditions no doctor able to cure. Only bad part is that it kind-of over stimulates you once in a while. Makes you feel all wired. Have to stop the dose for a day or two and it's gets normal."

Arun P (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "It works excellent have been clean 6 months. I love it."

Sweatpeasr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I think my experience with the clinic may be coloring my opinion of Vivitrol. As far as I know, it DOES work to curb cravings--I haven't had any to speak of in the 6 months I've been getting the injections. OTOH, I've noticed that my depression gets significantly worse for a few days after each injection, then it eases up to my normal low (someday I hope to feel actual happiness again). My problem is with the clinic and the hour+ wait times. I'm clean. I'm in therapy. I go to AA meetings daily. I have a strong support system in place. But I'm thinking of discontinuing because I don't have 2.5 hours to spare every time I have an appointment (commute to clinic, time at clinic, commute to work)."

Anonymous November 25, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "Four years no craving as if I had never drank at all. SAVED MY LIFE Wouldn't stop if it does kill me . LIFE WITHOUT THE THOUGHT OF ALCOHOL. WONDERFUL. BILLIE BO"

Billie bo bob. (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm taking contrave for weight loss. It is made up of two medications, one of them being naltrexone. I had no idea I'd get the added benefit of diminished alcohol cravings. I was drinking about 4 fifths of vodka a week. I had given up on ever quitting drinking. I've been in 3 psychiatric hospitals and to rehab once. From the very first dose my constant alcohol cravings have stopped. I haven't drank in over a week. It's amazing. It's worth the initial side effects."

seasunshine (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "If you are struggling with kicking drinking and are prone to reaching from one addiction to another, RUN to a doctor and get naltrexone. I've been three weeks without drinking and it's removed my desire to drink. Completely. I was a late comer to alcoholism. After an outpatient rehabilitation fior meth addiction, cigarette smoking and pills, I successfully kicked those addictions and within a couple years acquired the need for drinking. Then drinking and Klonopin with a side of wellbutrin. When I say drinking, I am a female, medium build, late 30s, throwing back a fifth or more a day. Stopped wellbutrin, started naltrexone and lexapro. Life is good."

Chronic Feeling Changer (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "My partner has been an alcoholic for over 10 years. I have cared for him for the last 2 years and have tried everything. I thought an antidepressant was going to be the answer along with therapy. Nothing could stop his drinking and lying. I had given up hope. I took him to the Gp and asked for medication to stop him from drinking. He started Nalteroxe 4 days ago. He takes it at night and it really knocks him out but it is amazing. He is like a totally different person. He is happy. No cravings no drinking. The evil cloud of addiction is gone. I am under no illusion that there is work to do to address the underlying issues but for the first time he free to live life and remain sober. Life saving."

Anonymous November 10, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Have had fibromyalgia for 22 years. Tried all sorts of the recommended meds. Two months ago started 4.5 mg low dose naltrexone. Fall asleep easily but horrible and disturbing dreams and subsequent pain from disturbed sleep. Sometimes I'd sleep 10 to 12 hrs and just slightly refreshed. Have a hard time getting going after waking for up to two hours. Just stopped taking it because of the side effects. Having a headache while coming off of it."

Leets (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Revia (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Battled a 6 year prescription opiate addiction, with a good 5 years in and out of withdrawals trying to get clean, never working and landing myself in hospital twice, once for a week and lucky to be alive. Tried a suboxone program but wanted to be properly free from the opiate bindings and feel again. Since being on Naltrexone I have not thought, cared, desired any opiate. Totally free from my mind and able to get on with my life, feeling, and feeling great. As an added bonus my in and out battle with alcohol has gone the exact same way, also dropping other destructive impulsive behaviour. Just dont care about it. First week I had brutal lethargy but after dealing with years of withdrawals it was cake, no side effects since then.Life saver"

ImJustMe November 3, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've battled binge drinking most of my adult life. I'm healthy and active and a runner.... When my nightly 2 glasses of wine is a bottle... and don't get me started if it is in a social situation. Sick of hangovers, knowing this is no longer cute at my age, and having teenagers, made me commit to change. I should add I do parties and events for a career so champagne lunches are standard. I got naltrexone 2 days ago. I did not drink at all the first day I took it (was still feeling guilty from a few days before when I over drank) Today I had a lunch meeting and wine was unavoidable. I said I'd just have 1 glass. 1hr and 30 min later and I had not finished it (never happens). Tasted fine.. felt fine.. but no craving for more when others did"

KKirkman9 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I started drinking 10 years ago, and drank 10-15 per day. After 30 days on Naltrexone, I've had 2 beers.. the last 3 weeks ago. What the drug did was take away any "reward" from alcohol, so drinking a beer is no different from drinking a cup of tea. In this way, it gave me the choice back. I didn't think I'd ever be able to quit, and suddenly drinking is no longer interesting to me. I had some minor side effects for the first week, including loss of appetite, restlessness, and a little nausea - but all of those subsided quickly. I am sober for the first time in my adult life and I can't believe how much better it is. If you know you need to break up with alcohol, look into naltrexone.. it changed my life."

FeelinBetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I just started taking this medication but still have the cravings for alcohol. I don't drink all day due to being a college student but as soon as I'm done for the day I stop for liquor on the way home and also for beer. I've been drinking heavily for over 8+ years and a bottle of liquor will last me about a day or two if any, I've been hospitalized for my drinking, but still I don't get a fear of being hospitalized again. I need to lower my consumption to just a couple of beers and just on certain days, not have it be a daily crutch."

musicfinder91 October 19, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been drinking nightly for 2 years now to sleep and it became excessive. My psych prescribed this to me and I took the 1st dose last night per directions. It's 11am and I am jittery, can't focus, shaking and my muscles hurt. Didn't sleep a wink last night. Should I split the dose? Take a different time? I drank a beer to help me calm down but it tastes like crap. Thoughts?"

Thoughts please October 18, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "27 y/o F, full-time musician, been a heavy drinker for 7 years. At first it was all for fun, then it became a necessity to escape myself. My primary drink choice was wine. 2 bottles a day on average. Today is my 9th day sober! I have a sponsor and am working the 12-step program in conjunction with Naltrexone. So far, this drug has been AMAZING. It does make me tired, so I take it at night before bed. The few times a craving has come forward, it has been quick and easy to push aside. Alcohol is the answer, not the problem, therefore, I believe if you don't work at the root of your problem, this drug will be nothing more than a temporary crutch. Best of luck to you all in your recovery! We can do this!"

SmileyRae October 17, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Most dr. Recommend for heavy dose over two week taper I started with a half 8mg sub and decreased over 7 days on the 7th day I only took 1/16 of a sub and that was it with help from Xanax and 420 was able to make the 14 days needed for the shot but still didn't feel amazing but was getting there the only negative about the shot is that I have bad stomach pains for the first two shots already which last time I was just tired for the first 2 shots i am wondering if anyone else gets this stomach pain all day and all night"

Swim420 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016