User Reviews for Naltrexone

7.7

Trichotillomania

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 8.2 336 reviews

Reviews for Naltrexone

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I’m having an amazing experience with Vivitrol. I was an opiate addict for almost 15 years. Methadone and Suboxone/Subutex didn’t help me at all. My cravings on those drugs were still out of control and I still couldn’t stop using. I got almost 2 years clean in a 12 step program then had a year long relapse. After detox I started vivitrol and rejoined the 12 step community and I’m doing great. I’ve had no cravings and pairing recovery with vivitrol I’ve had no obsession to use. No side effects either. My mood is fine no injection site problem just slightly sore the first day. Also unlike methadone or Suboxone vivitrol is 12 step friendly. Hope this helps someone."

AyGi (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: "Read this if you feel Naltrexone didn’t work for you! Reading through the reviews and was disappointed at the number of comments about the Naltrexone “not taking cravings away”. Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist. All it does is take away the pleasurable feelings you get when you drink or use. For more information, read up on Dr. David Sinclair and “The Sinclair Method” or “The Cure for Alcoholism” by Dr. Eskapa. Good luck!"

DudeMan March 25, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I've read ALL of the reviews and I'm wondering about people saying the injection is giving them side effects when I think it could be that they are getting withdrawals. The side effects that people are explaining are text book opiate withdrawal-which, yes, Vivitrol will put you into if you have used anything long acting within the past 2 weeks. I have been an opiate addict for over 10 years, tapered off of methadone and got this injection. It is amazing! It will change your life, get you out of the 'hustle' and it truly is the miracle drug. I'm kind of bummed I can't have my glass of wine on this, but that's the price I pay and I don't need the calories. Do your own research people before you judge (nature of addicts I suppose). I feel sorry for the few who had a true reaction at the injection site. I didn't even feel mine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "A couple years ago I started at an elite university and the culture of stress and isolation destroyed me. For years I couldn't feel much pleasure at all and felt like I had lost myself among utter misery and anguish. 4 months ago I started LOW DOSE naltrexone (.5mg) per night for my depression and anxiety and it instantly lifted. I am more talkative and sociable, less anxious than ever before. And far less suicidal... However I have noticed that this can cause insomnia, so I've had to find sleep medicine to help me overcome this side effect. Also while this medicine does help reduce psychological anxiety (worry/negative thoughts) I have found it can cause physical/body-like anxiety. I have had to take breaks from it or lower my dose in order to reduce these feelings. Even better, I also have found that, in my experience, this prevents tolerance to the opioids I am RX'd."

college-student (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: "My Dr prescribed 100MG of naltrexone per day which seems to be excessive. I feel fine, and I don't have cravings but it seems to be affecting my work and I am very sleepy in the morning. I am continuing with 50mg per day in the evening because it is working, just a little too well."

SoberMe (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "I have suffered with mild/moderate level neuro-inflammation for over 30 years. This includes severe fatigue, brain fog, heart arrhythmia, visual disturbances and more. Never in these years has anything helped my ME/CFS as well as LOW dose naltrexone. I started at 0.5mg and raised it 0.5mg every two weeks until I got to 4.5mg/day. 30 minutes after my first dose, my brain fog/headache completely disappeared! Nothing has done that for me before. I share my whole story online and I recommend LDN (Low-dose naltrexone)- more info for your doctors who would prescribe it on the site LDN researchtrust if you need help figuring it out. I don't tolerate other medicines well, but this has been a lifesaver! Good luck all!"

purplekelle (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "It doesn’t stop cravings at all it just helps due to the fact you know you cannot get a high that you are looking to get from opiates while on the vivitrol shot. But the shot did not help my cravings at all personally I still even had drugs dreams and not thought but still OBSESSED over the thought of getting high every single day."

Thebean2498 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I've struggled with alcoholism for 10 years. Vivitrol was suggested before but I couldn't afford it. I was able to find a clinic that got a federal grant for Vivitrol. The first 4 - 5 days I was tired, leg cramps up thru my buttocks (felt like the flu), hip and ankle pain, irritable, sad, nauseous. Side effects eventually went away after 1 week. Cravings have been minimal to non existent. Yesterday I was irritable; had a bad day at work which triggered me. Decided what the hell and see if the drug really did take away that feel good feeling. I drank about half the amount I usually do and it didn't do anything other than the physical side effects. I ended up pouring the rest out and went to bed. This is a miracle! I am so grateful! Looking forward to continue using it for this year while I complete my 12 steps in the AA program so I will not only be physically healthy, but mentally and spiritually too! THANK YOU VIVITROL AND THANK YOU TO MY CLINIC AND GRANT MONEY!"

Palanaki March 9, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: "I got this medication from my doctor, after I was telling her the amount of alcohol I was drinking. I always had, when I was drinking or not, extreme restlessness and exhaustion in once. My muscle were hurting, I could sleep 10 hours and was not feeling rested. Could not concentrate very good, had social anxiety etc. I took 25 mg at night went to bed and.... Wow I felt like I was high. The pain gone, exhaustion gone, depression gone everything I described above were non existent anymore. I felt I had helium balloons on my arms and head. Feeling rested after 6 hours of sleep, being awake the whole day... The day feels so long now, because I can use every minute. Also I felt no desire for any drug anymore. I went out with people drinking, drank just mineral water. Impossible for me before the pill. I'm not lying. I also can't believe what happened. I am pure Bliss.. I was about 10 years like that. Now I'm free. Try this miracle drug! Highly recommended!!"

Dan4354 March 8, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was in AA for 12 years, treatment 3x, I meditation, prayed until my knees were black and blue, but nothing stopped me from relapse. I had the best intentions, did everything each program suggested, worked the steps, went to meetings (regularly) had a sponsor, did service work, prayed, meditated nightly. I have nothing but respect for AA, and all of these treatments, but none of them kept me from relapse. Then I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Naltrexone. I had zero faith it would work. I got the script filled (50mg), went home took it, felt nothing, went to bed. I kept taking it daily, nothing for the first week, but then it occurred to me that I had thought about drinking much less than normal. By 2 weeks I hardly thought of it at all, and now after 2 months I have my life back. Naltrexone did for me in 2 months what other methods couldn't do in 12 years, removed the obsession. If you're having trouble with repeated relapse, I encourage you to talk to your doctor about Naltrexone."

Gotmylifeback February 25, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "Well Naltrexone for itching works! I am a psych mental health nurse and use this at work. I read an article that it can help with itching. I have scalp psoriasis and itch like crazy. Day -1 50 mg. Prob too much. Heightened sense of smell and pretty disorganized and terrible headache and nausea. But NO itching. I don’t have an alcohol issue but would love not to drink at every social event for the empty calories. This drug has made me so adverse to alcohol and I took one pill 5 days ago. Still not itching either. Worked out the headache and think I will cut the pill Into 10 doses about 5 mg and start there and hope the side effect dissipate. P"

Ani (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I came of off a two year opiate habit..I’d bounce between heroin and suboxone. I could get off the H and onto the suboxone just fine. The problem was I couldn’t get off the subs. I went to a 30 day in patient rehab. I detoxed, tapered off subs quickly and felt fine for the next 14 days. I was getting better every day. Then I got the shot. Sick every day, no energy or motivation, trouble sleeping etc. It’s been almost 3 weeks after the shot and these side effects are not going away. I’ll never do it again. It’s not PAWS. I know the difference. For whatever reason, vivitrol is a bad mix for me. I don’t really have any cravings but I feel awful. Not dope sick awful but bad enough that I won’t be getting a second shot. All of this got me to do some in depth research and I found some sketchy stuff with regard to how the mfg. tested this medication and used lobbyist to get it approved and into the court systems etc. If it works for you..great..For me, not so much."

Marlin February 7, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was using heroin for years and it seemed impossible to get clean. Rehab, methadone, suboxone, cold turkey, but I always messed up. My doctor gave me some meds to help with the withdrawal and once the withdrawal was over for the vivtrol injection. I been clean for over 4 months now. I have no craving to use. It saved my life. I get some bad discomfort from the shot, limp for a few days cause the muscle hurts so bad, along with tooth pain and a weird sleepiness the first few days after the shot. But the side effects are worth it."

C A (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: "This is a very powerful drug. To start off, I am a 6’0” 180lb male. I was prescribed the 50mg once daily, however I was hesitant as in the past I have been hospitalized due to reactions from other prescription medicines, so I started on 25mg instead. This hit me like a truck, I was extremely tired and in a fog. I felt like a zombie so I dropped it down to 12.5mg. I still was extremely tired and out of it. After almost giving up I went down to 6mg, which is an eighth of a pill. I found this to be the right amount for me. The first few days I had a little headache, minor stomach pain and was a little tired but this all has passed. This drug did give me the ability to stop after one drink. It makes it easier to “take it or leave it” when it comes to alcohol. I would recommend at least trying it and experimenting with which dose works best for you."

Trying this out (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hi there, I have taken this drug with horrible side effects and can’t seem to find anyone with similar experiences. My whole body hurts, especially my jaw and upper back from clenching. My anxiety gets really bad as well. I have tried a few times and at very small doses. The thing is, it does work for not wanting alcohol but it ruins everything else, and the side effects last a week! Even with only about 12 mg. Has anyone else had these? Is there any chance these would go away with continued use? ,"

Emily (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I had it twice. First time worked great. Second time got shot when wasn't completely clean put me in hospital but woke up 2 days later and felt like a million bucks and felt like I'd been clean for along time no cravings had all my energy back. And I could eat again had my appetite back. Saved my life"

Meatball (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Taking naltrexone one hour before I drink and the results for me were significant. I didn't get a rush, but I felt it in my body. One beer and that was it, didn't taste right and I didn't feel the high I usually felt. Coming from a 6+ pounders a night caught me off guard. But here is where it got interesting. With that one beer, I had one of the worst hangovers I have had in years. Many don't experience this, but I most certainly did. I didn't want another the next day and didn't want to feel hungover anymore. I tried drinking again a few days later. This time I had two. I didn't want anymore after and the hangover was worse than my bachelor party. From a guy who drank heavily, til now, feels wonderful. I don't know how I functioned all those years . It saved me."

Deer (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I had been drinking heavily for about 4 years. I had to go through withdrawal at a hospital just in case it was medically necessary, I was really far gone with alcohol. After detox the doctor suggested Vivitrol- injection every 30 Days. Took my first shot 11/13/2018. I have not had any cravings for alcohol since. Scheduled to get another one in December. I hope my success with Vivitrol continues. I’ve read through a lot of Vivitrol reviews for alcohol on this website and most of the reviews seem similar to mine."

Roxy (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "So was on the vivitrol shot for 5 months and while it did help with cravings, I had extreme nausea every time I woke up. I work swing shift so I wake up at night sometimes and mornings sometimes but no matter when I woke up I felt sick and tried to fight throwing up. Loss of appetite caused me to lose 25lbs over 5 months. It was hard but I'm glad I did it and made it through it. Been off of it for a month now and finally starting to feel normal again when I wake up. No more throwing up for me. Stay clean my friends ✌"

Boots (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "It's a blessing and a miracle!! I have been drinking 35 years arrested 18 times ,homeless, raped, baker acted (involuntary commitment), lost dogs, almost died of alcohol poison. None out that stopped me! Vivitrol is the only thing that has taken all cravings away. Good luck to you all."

Yvette (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was drinking a lot everyday and taken about 20 to 30 dros a day plus other things. I woke up one day and decided that I needed to do something about it before I ended up dead. It was hard to do, my wife had no idea for the last 14 years I was an addict. That first thing I did was come clean with her which was the hardest thing to do when you spend so much time covering your tracks. It's hard to humble yourself and come clean but that is the first step. After that I had to be clean for five to seven days before I could get vivitrol. Days before I got the shot I remember siting in the living room in tears wondering if I'll ever be right. But getting the shot is the best move it does not hurt bad at all it's like a flu shot and all of this about no energy and what not I did not experience. I felt great the night I got it I had more energy and more of an appetite. It has now been two months and I have not had a drink or any opioids. If I can give you any advice get the shot and get your life back ."

Anonymous November 9, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This does nothing."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Life changer for me. My alcohol use and cravings were out of control and affecting everything important to me. The day I first took this shot, I drank way less and stopped obsessing with thoughts of drinking. This may have saved my life."

Isabelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Started taking 25mg then increased to 50 mg after no changes in 2 weeks. Been on 50 mg for 3 weeks and no changes at all in alcohol intake or dependence."

Tracy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "55yr old professional female. Not the wonder drug I had hoped it would be. Tried it for two months and it did not work."

Kim October 10, 2018