User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Vivitrol

Naltrexone has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 462 ratings on Drugs.com. 77% of those users who reviewed Naltrexone reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Alcohol Dependence   8.7
Fibromyalgia  Off-label 7.5
Opiate Dependence   7.5
Trichotillomania  Off-label 7.0
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 8.2 462 reviews

Reviews for Naltrexone

Tamara · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “I’ve been reading these reviews, twice! I was so excited, hopeful but also afraid that it wouldn't work for me. After bingeing for 10 years, I took my fist pill yesterday and for the first time in my life I wanted to stop drinking after one glass. Didn’t even want to finish that one glass. I’m so extremely happy and thankful that I found this medicine. And I’m especially lucky for not having any side effects. I’m free!!!”

Betty · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “This is the second time I’ve tried to take Naltrexone and I just cannot tolerate it. I thought maybe it was because I started at 50 mg. So this time I started with 25 mg and still having weird “high” feelings all day, headaches, itching, nausea. Very similar to a migraines but with crazy anxiety, paranoia and sleeplessness. Will NEVER take again. Back to good ole willpower.”

Wrigley · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2021

For Alcohol Dependence: “Have been a heavy daily drinker for about 30 years. Somehow managed to be a high-functioning alcoholic, but could tell my drinking was getting heavier and felt like it was starting to affect my health, memory and overall mental acuity. So I decided to try naltrexone/TSM in early December, just before the holidays to really put it to the test. It had a huge impact on my drinking behavior right away. Instead of thinking all day about drinking, starting as soon as possible after work, and passing out on the couch after 8-10 drinks, I have only had 1-2 beers per night for the past month. 3 max. Even during the holidays! I've poured out several drinks. This is a HUGE change in my relationship with alcohol. I can now see a life ahead in which thinking about drinking doesn't play a role in my decisions. One downside was really bad anxiety for the first couple weeks, but it eased up. My primary doc didn't want to prescribe naltrexone, so I found an online provider who would. Very glad I did!”

Jillzie · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I cannot believe how this med naltrexone has helped my fibro. I've tried many meds and always have side effects. The only side effect I have with this is a bit sleepiness but I take it at night. I'm still on a starting dose of 1.5 but AMAZING!!!!”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “Normally I’d count the minutes until work ended so I can drive directly to the liquor store to buy 2 tall cans of Bud Ice and down them in the parking lot. I’ve been taking naltrexone for about 5 days now and I have zero interest in doing that anymore. I’ve had a total of 2 beers in the last 5 days even though I didn’t have any urge or desire to drink. I’d normally be off to the races after my first beer but now I struggle to even finish one and I have no desire to have another. All I can say is that I doubted that this would work for me and I am in awe of how well it works. It has totally changed how I think about drinking. It’s kind of miraculous.”

Ruby December 16, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I had alcohol use disorder for decades, I tried everything to give up, but I would eventually go back to drinking after trying to moderate and be accepted socially. I stumbled on the Sinclair method when googling for help late one night. If changed my life. I followed the Sinclair method with naltrexone maybe for 3 months. I am now 2 years completely alcohol free and feel I have my life back. I highly recommend naltrexone, I had no side effects and had liver function tests throughout and was fine. I strongly advocate for its use in treating alcohol disorder as I no longer have any desire to drink. The key is following the Sinclair method rules and being persistent it takes at least 3 months to take effect fully. But I noticed improvements almost immediately!”

Rapelje · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 15, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “In response to BP, I’ve learned that Naltrexone is most effective at lower dosages for Fibromyalgia, but the smaller dosages have to be compounded individually. Most towns/cities have compounding pharmacies or hospital pharmacies capable of compounding for you. My ‘script runs about $45 for 90 pills. I started at .75mg for a week, 1.5mg. for a week, then 3.0mg, and finally, 4.5mg. By increasing it gradually over a month’s time, I avoided much of the “new med” issues. The doc said we could go up to 9mg, if necessary. I can’t take opioids nor narcotics, so Naltrexone has been a Godsend for me. I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and severe arthritis in my neck. Naltrexone is the only drug that has worked - and has worked without the nasty side effects of other drugs. Hope this info helps!”

Bina · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I have suffered from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for over 15 years. I tried so many different medications in that time, none helped. Then I was prescribed low dose Naltrexone by a specialist. It helped immensely, I felt better within two weeks. I was able to get up on the exam table without a thought. Before any exertion at all was difficult, painful, and would leave me sore and exhausted for up to a week. I feel almost normal now. My dose is on the high end for low dose at 5mg, and I have to get it at a compounding pharmacy (just Google and call). My doctor said it works for about 50% of patients. I suggest reading up on the mechanism of action before asking for a prescription. In short it stimulates natural endorphins and has a mild anti-autoimmune effect. It only stays in your system for four hours. Always check for drug interactions. Good luck!”

Nutmeg · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I tried naltrexone at a low dose of 4.5 mg dose years ago for fibromyalgia, and it had no effect on my pain levels. But at a higher dose (I started with 24.5 mg and now take 50 mg) it is extraordinarily effective. I'm thrilled with this result, but I worry about the long-term effects, so I do not plan to take it indefinitely. The side effects - energy, a spacey feeling - I find pleasant. But this also makes me worry that perhaps this is just another painkiller, and that I'll build up a tolerance and be worse off when I try to wean myself off it. It's promoted as safer and non-addictive, but not enough is known about it yet for those claims to be trusted. It perplexes me that naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, but it feels slightly like an opioid to me. So I'm trilled to have relief from the pain, but I proceed with caution.”

BP November 18, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I've had Fibromyalgia for about 7 years. I've tried everything and had all but given up. I happened to see info online about LDN (low dose naltrexone). I asked my doctor about it and she wrote a script but said it probably wouldn't do anything. But I insisted...desperate to try anything. However, it was for 1/2 of a 50mg tablet once per day. I felt like I had done a gram of cocaine. 2-3 hrs of sleep per night, major anxiety, heart racing etc. Couldn't focus, hands shook etc. I stuck with it for one week when I realized, my pain had dropped SIGNIFICANTLY for the FIRST time in about seven years. Thrilled at he results I had to figure out how to continue the medication but get rid of the side affects and get some sleep. I called the doc to ask what I could do as the online info said it said LDN should be 1.5 mg. She said it only came in 50 mg and I'd have to get the suggested low dose from a "compounding" pharmacy. I have no idea how to do that. Can anyone help?”

Di724 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I just started low dose naltrexone 1.5 for Fibromyalgia (FM) I immediately saw a difference. No more body pain. At first I thought could I just be having a good week without much pain . But after two weeks I can't believe I good I feel. For 6 yrs I was in pain everyday. I took motrin everyday, until I had an AFib episode. Now I can't take any NSAID's. I'm so happy my doctor prescribed me this. I feel like I'm 40 again. I'm now 54 and I suffered for 6 yrs not know what was wrong with me.”

Six Months Sober and Loving It · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I've been abusing alcohol since I was 16 but I became fully addicted when I was about 20. Thats when I noticed the cravings and withdrawal (even with being prescribed clonozapan) I'm 28 now. I've been taking naltrexone since February of 2020 and I don't think I'd have been able to get sober from alcohol, or stay sober, without it. It dulls the cravings and allows me to think clearly through them. I feel a bit more like I did before alcohol changed my brain chemistry. Every time I have a craving, it feels like the feeling is being "smothered" or "cut off", depending on how strong the craving is. The only negative side effect I've had are very mild and short (5-10 second) headaches that happen maybe two or three times a month, and have lessened the longer I've been on it. I barely notice them anymore. I am a strong supporter of this drug, but we'll have to see what the long-term (if any) effects are on the brain.”

ajt123 October 29, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “It was fine for a few days taking naltrexone but then, ten hours after I'd take it, I had crippling nausea, anxiety, was sweaty, and shaking. I thought I might have eaten something bad so I rode it out. It happened the next night, at the exact same time as before. I began to suspect it. The same thing happened again at the same time. I told my doctor and we stopped it. It was just 1mg. This drug feels cult-ish. It's really hard to find someone to prescribe it. My rheumatologist wanted me to take it but she said she couldn't write it. Why? And look into the trials done with LDN. One of the books about it tries to convince patients that testimonials are just as good as double blind testing. That's not how science works. It supposedly treats a laundry list of things from cancer to MS. That's a red flag. Please research this. You'll find people without medical licenses prescribing it and people getting their ability to prescribe it taken away. It's a very suspicious situation.”

Iesh September 25, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: “I received the Vivitrol injection yesterday morning and have felt tired, (like can’t really get enough sleep) tired. I was worried until I read comments on this platform. It’s seems to be a common feeling for the first 4 days. I’m hopeful.”

Minime · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “After years struggling with alcohol abuse, I asked to be put on to naltrexone, I had read all about it, I was meeting with a CPN on a weekly basis and I was prescribed it. I wish I had been taking it years ago, it has changed my life, it is by no way an easy fix, I feel you must want to make changes . I would highly recommend naltrexone.”

Rebs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: “7 months off opiates! Could not have done it without vivitrol!”

Remy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: “I have been on Naltrexone and more recently Vivitrol for 8 months now. I was a heavy opiate user and occasional drinker, having tried Methadone and Suboxone in the past I knew that options just led to dependence on another drug so after my latest relapse I got on it. I am not going to lie the first week was hard, that's mostly my fault because they told me I had to stay sober for a full week before taking it and I didn't. But now, after having time to adjust I gotta say it is a lifesaver for me. I have gotten acne on my back and even on my scalp which I have heard others say happened to them but other than that zero side effects so far. If you have an opiate addiction and you want guaranteed results TAKE THIS MEDICATION, I cannot stress enough how much this has saved my life. I have no cravings and no overwhelming urge to get high.”

Teresa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2020

For Opiate Dependence: “Completed a 17 day detox ready for 6 month implant at $2000 in June 2020, its been 9 weeks. Headaches galore which aren't going away, sex drive gone too. No cravings which I'm pleased with, haven't attempted to even try to use either (just for curiosity) Have felt weird like I'm blasé to the world.. Looking forward to it wearing off so I can gain my life back drug free too.. Thankful for the clean time to date though..”

Jarrod · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I have been a heavy drinker - carton a day for 10 years, then a little less as I got older. 25 years of solid everyday drinking. Blackouts are normal - I do shots till I am muted. Locked up 4 tines drunk and disorderly - AA for 22 weeks - failed. Get the picture ! day 5 of naltrexone- had to cut my 50 mg pill into 1/4 . I was whacked as on a full pill for 2 days ! Could not function at work on it - Forced to drink last night by my work mates at a party and my beer tasted weird and it made me queasy managed to down 3 and I left the party. Everyone was shocked as I am normally an animal and last one standing - I don’t feel like a drink at the moment ! - so far so good - my advise only take a portion of the pill if it whacks you out too much - good luck all my fellow comrades”

Theiceman440 June 29, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: “I’ve been been on vivitrol 25 days it’s been the best decision I’ve made I would recommend this for any one struggling with alcohol issues”

Sarah June 18, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I'm a scientist, a Sociologist, and a psychologist. I went to school initially for Pharmd. I am in my 40s. I've been a lifelong athlete and I was never one to drink, smoke, or use drugs. I have Hashimoto's, which has destroyed most of my thyroid. I get hemiplegic atypical migraines which are increasing to the point there's no real treatment options left. I've also been recently diagnosed with ehlers-danlos, and fibro. Tonight was my first night taking titrated LDN. Never again! It's 3 AM. I've never done drugs but I imagine this is what someone feels like who does copious amounts of cocaine. I only took .5 mg. that's it. My muscles seized earlier. I've been sweating profusely. It's covid 19 time, and if not for that, I would have immediately gone to the ER as my SVT is not abating. This has been one nightmare evenings for me I refuse to repeat. I have never been an advocate for MJ, until now.”

sober52 · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I was drinking from morning till night when not working. This had gone on for about 2 years when it started to become unmanageable. I admitted myself to rehab. Went thru detox for a week and then rehab for weeks. Went to thru an intensive out patient program for 3 weeks. I really tried hard for about 45 days but I felt like I was constantly craving it. I started drinking again and fell right back into the same pattern for 2 months. I began to regret and hate myself again. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and gave Naltrexone a try. 25mg 1xday. No cravings. Makes me sick thinking about it. Day 3 and still don't want a drink. I am pretty tired though but that's way better then being drunk and hungover. I highly recommend it.”

MJ May 21, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “LDN saved my life. I spent years thinking I just had bad depression & PTSD thanks to all the trauma. At 25 though, I got hit with a wave of intense brain fog. I couldn't read a paragraph & retain the information, leaving the oven on, front door unlocked, driving my marriage into the ground because I wouldn't remember conversations, getting lost in the grocery store, had to withdraw from my college classes. It was this bad for nearly a year. Getting the Fibro diagnose only tanked my moral. I felt like like an 85 year old with dementia, & have a disease most people think is BS. Yay! I've been on LDN for 3 months now & found those 50 IQ points I had lost in the fog. I'm no longer an elderly young person! I'm reading books, back in school & getting 100% on assignments. I'M BACK & the only change I made is LDN & while I never cared about the fibro pain ("pain is weakness leaving the body, oorah!"-my favorite drill sergeant) the flare ups are less intense, shorter, & easier to manage.”

Geranium · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For Alcohol Dependence: “I just wanted to thank all the people for their comments. Reading these positive (mostly) reviews made me see the doctor and get naltrexone. I have only had 25mg for 4 days now but it is so good! I was drinking way too much about 4 nights per week and once I started, I couldn’t stop. Now I don’t feel like a drink at all. I had a sip of wine on day 1 and it was awful. Fortunately for me, minor side effects - bit tired, bit of diarrhoea, night sweats and some very trippy dreams! Good luck to everyone. I highly recommend.”

Sleann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2020

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: “Vivitrol has helped me maintain sobriety for the longest time ever since I started drinking about 5 years ago. Not one craving! However... I have developed bad acne on my back and neck areas. But the side effects don't outweigh the benefits so I choose acne over alcohol. :-)”