User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 124 reviews 7 medications

Fibromyalgia 19 reviews 20 medications

7.2
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 236 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Naltrexone

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I just want to let everyone know Suboxone withdrawal can happen days after last dose. It's not the shot that makes you sick. As for feeling lethargic and lazy as well as everything else, Welcome to recovery. It can an take several months for your body to recover back to normal. That means having energy, good appetite, sleeping normally, regular bowel movements. And that can all happen even if your not on the vivitrol shot and just doing cold turkey. So please people do your research before you post information that could sway someone from taking this method of recovery. Because it could decide on if they live or die. And yes I am talking from experience."

Tom83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence: "I was on 120 mg a day of Percocets 4 over 5 years and I went to a Naltrexone program end I received an implant and it cured me I've been clean now for over 2 months and have no cravings.The public needs to know about this because the government and rehabs are all about making money. They give you another addictive drug to get off of, an addictive drug and then you have to get off of the drug that they give you . It is a vicious cycle that has to be stopped because there are other alternatives. The problem is insurance companies will not pay for this type of treatment, they will only pay for Rehab which they are in cahoots with and they both make millions of dollars and it is sickening that's why people need to speak up to the government"

Daddypop1234 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "People, if you are switching from methadone or buprenorphine (Suboxone) , do NOT get the shot right away. Both methadone and buprenorphine are long acting opiates. When a medical professional tells you that you need to stay clean for 5-7 days, they are speaking of short acting opiates. Heroin, OC, OP, OHC, and I'm sure the other codeine derivatives have a much shorter half-life (a measure of how long they stay in your body) than do methadone and buprenorphine. If you are trying to switch from one of the long acting opiates to the naltrexone shot, personally I would switch to a shorter acting opiate for two week, then stay clean off the for 4-5 days, and then get the shot. I understand this may not sit well with some people."

RussiaInMil (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "At age 23 I quit drinking for fun and started drinking to medicate. For the next 14 years I hardly went a day without a drink (half a fifth a night on average). I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to cut back let alone quit. After getting an ultimatum from my girlfriend, I went to a doctor and was given Naltrexone and Wellbutrin. I didn't set any goals or give myself any rules. When I tried to drink like usual I found none of the joy, only headaches and a general miserable feeling. Six months later, I haven't bought a fifth in three months and the thought of drinking makes me ill. It's been a miracle for me."

exvodkalover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hi, I had a Naltrexone implant inserted three days ago after being alcohol free for 7days. Half an hour after insertion I began to experience diarrhea then extreme coldness and went to bed thinking I'd contracted gastro. Four hours later severe stomach pains ... for those experiencing these severe spasms I can suggest Imodium it certainly stopped the cramps. It's now day three, I'm still not myself, still tired but feeling content; no cravings for alcohol or chocolate or coffee; small appetite! Feel like I did when I was pregnant 22 years ago ! slightly nauseated all the time couldn't touch coffee, tea or alcohol. Very few people talk about severe stomach cramps as a side effect and wanted to be able to suggest the Imodium."

MissCb (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Received my 2nd injection this week. So far, so good! No cravings and no discernible side effects from the shot. This has become a very tool in my sobriety toolbox, which includes AA, outpatient counseling and antidepressants. And, of course, my higher power, who I call the God. This shot is definitely worth a shot. ☺️"

Milo9116 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am beyond excited. I have struggled and Tried Everything.. .nothing worked just worse and worse relapses and shear hell of a Deep fear/Shame. Shut myself away. Just started week 4. I had bad nausea but it left on day 5. I just reduced and stayed on 25mgs. Then up to 50mgs as instructed by Dr and the C3Foundation. The latter is a brilliant support forum in the journey. The 1st, 3 days a bottle of red wine lasted all that time!! I do believe, however, having read Dr David Sinclair's book:"The Cure for Alcoholism, that extinction of much reduction to safe levels does take at least 3-4 months. It is a miracle! Wish I had found before all my detoxes, nasty punishing treatment centre where I was stripped naked to search me, AA etc. It works"

SoAmasedbyNaltrexone (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was an alcoholic for 7 years following my divorce. I could drink a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine daily. I have been taking Naltrexone for 29 days and I can honestly say that my cravings are gone! I took my first dose in the morning and realized that was a mistake because of the sedating effects. I now take it right before bed. I also lost my appetite for about 3 days in the beginning, so I made sure to drink water and I also purchased meal replacement drinks to make sure I was getting the basic nutrition. Since starting it, I have had 2 cravings and those were following stressful days, but I didn't drink. I found it helpful to drink cranberry juice because it mimicks wine. Naltrexone changed my life!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "This shot is saving my life. The first 5 days after injection were difficult due to side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches) but they have since dissipated. I no longer feel any effects and have been clean from IV heroin for 29 days. I highly suggest this shot for anybody looking to stay off of opiates."

MyTherapistSaidSo (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Trichotillomania: "I have pulled my eyelashes and eyebrows since I was 12 years old-am now in my 50s. I recently tried the drug, Contrave (naltrexone and wellbutrin combo) , for weight loss and found that it got rid of my desire to pull. I take the recommended 4 pills/day but don't know how much naltrexone is in each pill. I still have the urge to pull as my usual response to anxiety but the ruminations about pulling, what to pull, where to pull have been greatly reduced. When I do pull, the feeling is very different and now feels like what one would expect when ripping out eyelashes (ouch!). I would say that the "feel" of pulling is different-the drug interrupts the pleasure of pulling and I don't feel compelled to pull more. very interesting drug."

trich info August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Perhaps most here are taking Naltrexone every day and then trying to not drink alcohol? I have not tried that. I take Naltrexone only on days I have a strong craving and then take it 1 hour before I drink the alcohol. (See Sinclair Method, Amazon’s The Cure for Alcoholism - 80% success, no need for detox.) After 2 months (drinking only on 18 days) my irrational craving for alcohol has been virtually extinguished. If I ever drink again, I will take the Naltrexone an hour before. No counselling, no AA meetings, nothing like that. All I needed to stop drinking (1 ½ to 2 bottles of wine a night for the last decade) was will-power to take the Naltrexone an hour before drinking - which was easy for me. Good luck!"

mark42 July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "As a female in my 60's with a daily wine habit, I had to use naltrexone 50 mg. One hour before alcohol consumption for many months before it had the desired effect. Read THE SINCLAIR METHOD to understand how this drug actually works. Be aware that it blocks your opiate receptors and thus do not take it within 24 hours of anesthesia."

bella89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been taking it for three days and I have no cravings but I haven't been able to keep any food or fluid down, I've been really tired. The first night I had hallucinations and was hearing voices"

Jennie s (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was on Naltrexone almost a month. And hadn't been drinking for three weeks. But this week I went on vacation and took one Corona and it started again. Craving is back and every day I want more and more dose of alcohol. I'm having follow up appointment with my doctor this week . I will let him know."

Tanya85 July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was a heavy drinker from the time I was 15 or so until I was 27 and found Naltrexone. If I wasn't at work or asleep I was drinking, actually sometimes I drank at work. Many ruined relationships and scrapes with death as well as law enforcement. As hard as it was, I stayed sober for 6 whole days before I started the medicine. From the moment I took the first pill, it. was. gone. I was no longer an alcoholic. They say that once a drunk always a drunk, I'm living proof that is false. I took Naltrexone for 6 months and never looked back. I'm 39 now. Naltrexone changed and saved my life. Thank you!"

SkinnyPete (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "Being dry for ten months. Never had cravings. Brilliant. Naltima was the best thing that could happened to me."

Oeza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I'm Planning to be put in 17 Days in residential treatment and follow it up with vivitrol injection. I just worry because I hear that it's incredibly painful, but I an only really trying to get away from the subs... I'm down to less than 6mg but I've been IV'ing them. I still wouldn't think my bupe dose is high enough to worry about after 15 - 17 days... A friend did tell me that if you are clean enough to be eligible for it, it will make you feel like a million bucks! I'm extremely hopeful, and was hoping for some insight and / or advice, but I believe this is an awesome chance to get my life back, even though I am afraid of the sword length rig they use to do it... I just hope it all goes as well as planned, or better... #VeryAnxiousNow"

DaBirdMan July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Vivitrol has made me completely useless. I was taking methadone as prescribed every day for the last six years. I actually cut my dose in half the last 24 months. But, I decided to quit cold turkey to get on vivitrol. Now I am so miserable! I can only get myself to take a couple bites of food a day if I can keep it down. My head is constantly throbbing. I haven't slept more than two hours every night for at least a month. My body is so weak yet I'm constantly freezing and sweating. My hands shake all the time And the ringing in my ears is so loud I have a hard time hearing things sometimes. I find that I don't care about anything. I don't even want to be around my own son anymore. I am not surprised people get suicidal on this drug."

Jakwnwjxzak July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "It's day 4 for me on naltrexone. First day I took 25mg and it made me a little sedated. Went to dinner, couldn't finish my wine, had a glass later knowing cold turkey is a bad idea. I was 1 to 1.5 bottle of wine drinker daily. Next night took a 12.5mg, had maybe 6 oz wine, next night 2 corona lights, and next night one beer. No cravings at all, no shaking. I had some irritability but I think that's to be expected. This drug has made is easy to wean off alcohol. Alcoholism killed my father and ruined my marriage. Both of us drank. No bueno. I am very vocal with family about my desire to quit. I tried a few times before and naltrexone is a godsend. Good luck all!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I had 10 months clean after being a heavy IV opioid user for years decided to stop on my last case which also prompted me to drug court. Well the judge for some reason put me on vivitrol even with all the clean time and program compliance. To summarise I had planned to exercise and live healthy and that is what was pushing me to stay clean, After getting the shot I felt empty confused, depressed, no drive, no motivation, no hunger, crippled libido, didn't care much about music movies or anything for that matter, excercising was torture. I asked the doctor if it would mess with my endogenous reward system twice and both times he evaded my question, seek recovery with healthy means develop skills to stay clean don't go be a lab rat for big pharma..go to inpatient"

G5444666 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Dependence: "My doctor had me take this medication, saying it worked as a good pain med for one of her patients. Knowing I was on pain medication methadone, she wrote the script. 45 minutes after taking naltrexone. I started convulsing, sweating, was taken to ER, the last thing I remember was loosing my bowels. I woke up in ICU 2 days later. I have filed a complaint with the proper authorities. I have osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis. I've had one hip replaced. After 10 yrs of doctors and the medical association, I'm scared to trust anyone."

WokeinICU (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "For those researching this medication, or other "opiate inhibitors" for alcohol abuse disorder, please read the info on the web such as "The Sinclair Method." Sinclair is the doctor behind discovery that these meds block the reaction to alcohol. I'm suggesting this as these meds are often prescribed somewhat incorrectly. It's not "magic" for most but what works for 80% of those who follow the protocol is a slower de-addiction process requiring you to continue drinking. Many practitioners prescribe "take every day w/abstinence" but the "miracle" in this type of med is that it DE-ADDICTS you and changes the neuronic uptake. For most it's not an overnight cure but a longer process. It has been successful in several double-blind studies."

BlenderMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm on Naltrexone now at 11 weeks following TSM, take the med 1 hour b4 drinking. Wine drinker. My cravings eased some and the "taste" isn't as good, even really good wine doesn't have the same appeal. Consumption has dropped, but more so in the number of days/week. I have gone from 5 or 6 days per week to now 3, altho the amount of drinks per session is the same or up a bit. I now drink lighter whites with less alcohol, not heavy reds. I'm 60 yr old woman, no other program. I'm encouraged, will stick with it, but was hoping to feel less craving by now. In reflection the run up to my problem is over 15 years. Never a binge drinker, didn't drink in my teens, 20s or much in 30s. From all my reading and research I do think I'll be in control again"

SpyGirl278 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Taken the Vivitrol Shot for 6 months. It's amazing! I would be dead without it. I was addicted to Heroin for years and nearly died several times. Why is this drug not encouraged for others. It's rarely used? It saved my life."

IV Heroin User (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Hello, I am coming off of suboxone. It has been 24 hours since the shot was administered. I feel great. Now rewind... at 1 pm I got the shot. By 2pm the withdrawals kicked in. I wasn't vomiting or anything but was very sleepy and dizzy. I went to bed. By 6 am the next morning I felt 60% better. I got up had a cup of coffee, and felt great. By 1pm (24 hours) I am about 90% percent better. I would just like to give people some encouragement. The reviews on here scared me as well. I tapered myself down before getting the shot...and I feel so far so good! It can be done! You do not have to sit home and withdrawal for weeks and even months. Everyone's body is different but I highly recommend this!"

Positive_Minds June 10, 2017