User Reviews for Naltrexone

7.4

Trichotillomania

Summary of Naltrexone reviews 8.2 305 reviews

Reviews for Naltrexone

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Could not quit without it!"

Colliebudz (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was an opiate user for close to 20 years. I've been on vivitrol for a month now. I have zero desire to use and to be honest have a hard time even remembering the way the opiates made me feel. I think a lot if people are confusing their regular post-acute withdrawal symptoms with the vivitrol side effects. I personally think vivitrol is saving my life."

Lil evil (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "Day 2 on Naltrexone. I used to take Topamax for 6 months but stopped because the side affects were horrific! Couldn't remember words, memory loss, Speech impediment, brain fog, hypoglycemia, piercing headaches, nightmares, and depression and really dark thoughts! I pray that naltraxone works as my drinking is ruining my life. Heavy drinker 15 years. I have become a bit of a hermit as I prefer to drink at home so my friends and family don't know how much I actually drink (1-2 bottles wine every day). Also to avoid making an ass of myself - which I have done on way too many occasions. The only times I had alcoholic free day was because I way over did it and was way too hungover. I need so badly for this to work as AA is out. I don't believe in it -for me-I know it has worked for many people but I also know many that it did nothing for many others. I do see a therapist."

kookla54 July 13, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been getting the shot for four months now. I love how it helps with cravings. I have noticed though, that about a week before I'm due for my next shot. I get very irritable. Also feel more tired than usual. I can deal with the tiredness but the irritability can be unbearable."

Bekkyboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was an addict for 20 years. Mainly opiates. I decided to seek help and got into a mat program that provides Vivitrol injections for free and Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). That's awesome and everything because I've been wanting to be on Vivitrol for a year at least but I didn't think it was possible because I didn't have insurance. So I went through the whole withdrawal process because you have to be clean to get the shot and then when I got the shot I thought everything was going to be great. I was wrong. The first five days I could not eat or sleep. After that I have been feeling a lot better but my anxiety has been out the roof. And the injection site still hurts sometimes even after 3 weeks. Next week I'm due to get my second shot and I'm hoping it will be better. It kind of seemed like I was on chemo because the first 5 days after the shot had such terrible side effects."

Steph (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I’m so excited to try this!!! Got got the script last night and enjoyed one final bottle of red wine. I was never physically addicted and didn’t drink every day but I can’t stop thinking about drinking and I white knuckle it on those days I just can’t drink because either spouse is home or I have very important commitments or I’m hung over and can’t fathom a drink. I am the first patient my doc ever prescribed this too, I sent him the article on it and we are both hopefully anticipating a good outcome. The other comments give me so much hope. AA isn't working for me, I can’t pray away a real medical problem, Though I still go for the sober community and the other helpful tips and self reflection. My feeling is grab EVERYTHING you can to fight this!!!"

Drunknurse (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am 40 years old and my issue with alcohol use disorder started about 4-5 years ago, after a bad break up. I noticed that, slowly but surely, my drinking habits of going out with friends to have wine or cocktails a few times per week eventually turned into a few days here and there at home, alone; eventually, it became nearly 5-7 days a week with 3 days of non-drinking days sprinkled in for good measure. Once I started with naltrexone at 50 mg., I noticed immediate results and as time went by, I craved less, thought about alcohol less and overall, reduced my drinking by nearly 3/4... fast forward a year, I got lazy and thought somehow that I was "cured" from AUD (Alochol Use Disorder). Boy, was I wrong. It was a huge mistake to skip taking Naltrexone... So, I am starting from scratch and intend to treat my AUD like I'm taking care of a baby."

Thomas (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I had high hopes for Vivitrol, and I see that it blocks the receptors, but the cravings persisted. I have only had one shot so far, so maybe it will work out better over time."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Recieved my first injection of Vivatrol and had reaction the next morning to the drug. Swelling in the face and chills with sweats alternating and anxiety. With the drug however I did notice a lack of desire for drinking but it's hard to compare with the reaction I'm having. The Doctor is pulling me off of this medication."

Kevin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I received the Vivitrol shot 3 days ago for alcohol dependency. So far it has helped with the craving to want to drink. The side effects that I have is I’m constantly tired and have no motivation. I just feel blank and withdrawn from the world. I hear this lasts for only 4 days or so I truly hope that’s true. Hopefully my body adjust to this medication (injection) so I can get up out of bed and enjoy life again. I’m just so not used to being down I’m normally full of energy and have motivation to do things. Fingers crossed."

Lynelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "This has absolutely been a life changer! I could not live without it."

Lori (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medication is a life saver. First day I took 25mg at 6pm and by 7pm my addict brain completely shut up. A miracle, my life has changed so much. No more white knuckling days and weeks of sobriety until the next relapse which was a miserable existence. Now it is easy"

Happy now May 9, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I never considered myself to be an alcoholic and thought addiction was mind over matter. I was completely wrong! After 40, divorced and children grown. My glass of wine turned into half a bottle etc, etc. I thought about wine many times throughout the day. When I drank, I drank fast, quick to have another. THIS WAS NOT THE LIFE I WANTED TO LIVE and I COULD NOT STOP. I had seen Naltrexone on CBS Sunday Morning and decided to ask my physician. The medicine did not come with proper instructions! I take the medicine 1 hour before drinking and mid-day to early evening to prevent insomnia. The results were immediate and after 3 months I no longer feel addicted but still enjoy an occasional glass of wine. The best thing is that I am in control and can achieve my goals without alcohol interference. God bless Dr. Sinclair and the makers of Naltrexone! How about the drug makers updating the directions to include The Sinclair Method and make claim that Naltrexone can reverse the addiction!"

Moebarnes4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am a 55 year old female with 2 children in college, a wonderful husband and a great job. I have been an on again off again heavy drinker my entire adult life. Since my children have left, my drinking has gotten way out of control. I have been able to hide this and have no idea how. I have felt helpless the last few years and was even starting to accept my life would be cut short because of drinking. I have been taking this drug for about a week. I can handle the side effects. I’m sure it’s a mix between the medicine and alcohol withdrawal. Completely a miracle. I am also losing weight and smoking less. I do recommend taking this at night."

Gettinbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "My husband started this medication 6mo ago for alcohol and cocaine /crack addiction . I have dealt with utter hell for 7 yrs although he has been an addict for 15 yrs . I am so grateful for naltrexone , I never thought that he would agree to take the med because he railed against being on something forever . Finally he came home one day and said " I'm taking a new med for substance abuse" . He has been clean for 6 mo, which is the longest he has ever been in his life , he is a completely different man and I love the person who created this drug. Thank you for changing our lives ."

Meg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have only had this drug for a few weeks now. I cannot even believe the difference it made the very first time I took it. I took about an hour before I went down for a happy hour event. I grabbed a glass of wine and fully expected it to feel the same way it always does which is a nice warm glowy feeling as I drink it. Instead it tasted like cardboard and suddenly I didn’t want it. I was so floored and amazed at the difference it made I had tears of joy! Tears!! I have never in all of my life felt like that. I started drinking when I was 14 in Europe and really started down a path to heavy drinking around the last 10 years. It was just way too easy to drink down a bottle of wine and follow it up with another. This medication has made it possible for me to have control finally over something I never thought I would have control over !!! Also, Great side effect of this drug for me is the fact that I don’t want to eat as much as well and now I’m losing weight!"

Alaskanbabe April 13, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been on this drug for 2 weeks the first two days I could not even finish half of my mixed drink but then after that I could drink and not get high off of it but now past few days I can drink with it and get a buzz for a short period of time has anybody else had this experience is this normal?"

Little Bit (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I’ve struggled with alcohol dependency for years, averaging about a pint or so of hard liquor most nights of the week. Naltrexone was a life changer. The first time, I took it an hour before pouring myself a small glass of whiskey. I drank it, enjoyed it, but weirdly enough, I felt no desire for a second glass. I kept this up for a week or so, at which point I didn’t feel any cravings for booze anymore. In my case, I no longer need to take Naltrexone on a daily basis. The cravings are simply gone. I only take it when I’m going to be in a situation where I’ll be drinking socially."

JT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I’m As a combat vet I ended up inpatient treatment at the VA. At first I was prescribed suboxone. Suboxone worked well while I was in inpatient. After treatment I relapsed and quickly fell. It got to a point quickly that I didn’t want to live anymore. I went back to the same inpatient treatment. I had 3 options Methodone (pushes the opiate receptor 100%). Suboxone (push’s it slightly). Vivitrol-blocks the receptor for a month. I tried vivitrol. I can tell you being 8 months sober that it is amazing. It is not just the medicine. Number one: is the desire to change. Number 2:-the knowledge I received through the VA. I have friends that have similar results "

Alive March 31, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Listen up. It's probably worth the risk of trying it for a month to see if you get the side effects or not. I did I got extreme anxiety, depressing thoughts, and fatigue. Constant stretching and 0 motivation in the first five days. Then it's gets a little better so I don't know it drove me to go smoke meth but I didn't do heroin or want to. and now that I have made it through the 5 days of side effects I guess I could say it's worth it."

Ryguy March 26, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This has saved my life! I'm a 33 year old and have had an alcohol dependence since I was in my 20's. I can't tell you the messes I've been in while drunk. I've lied to myself that I had it under control or that I could stop at any time. It's a lie. There was no "off" switch for me, there is no having just one drink. My life revolved around my next drink. I'd sit at work all day waiting to leave so I could race home for my first drink. On weekends, I'd wake up hungover and just start drinking again. I've ruined relationships, all because of alcohol. I've been on this for a month & I haven't had ONE DRINK. It's amazing and I find myself crying out of happiness! My life has been saved by this drug and yours can be, too! Don't give up hope, I nearly did. I haven't experienced any side effects of this medication. The cravings just aren't there, it's so weird! I'm learning how to live a life without alcohol, it's weird and like my life has started over again. Please don't be afraid to try this!!"

jjmw March 21, 2018

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "My problem is I don't want the sick, irritable and withdrawaling feeling at all. I can't handle it. I have beat IV version use several times but didn't last long any suggestions."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I was at an all time low five days ago and been to rehab 2 years ago and lasted 2 weeks I wouldn’t try counselling and have deteriorated over these 2 years drinking bear around 25 cans a night, I have almost lost my family and gone through numerous friends. I now feel I can see that light and I am ready to find me again. I was sick after the first tablet but feel great and day five had 4.5 cans and stopped whilst friends carried on for another 6hours I was enjoying a glass of water and looking at my friends thinking OMG that was me, I take 50mg of Naltrexone one hour before I drink and each day I feel great and proud, you can do it too"

Bex March 12, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "This drug has changed my life, if you're struggling with alcohol..find a doctor that will prescribe you this drug!! I used to not be able to stop after alcohol touched my lips. I'd drink red wine every night, closet drink so my spouse wouldn't know.. the night I started taking this pill my life transformed. The first week or two I didn't drink at all I just wasn't interested. When I decided to have a drink thats just what I did - I had A drink and stopped. I've had a few drinks here and there and been able to stop myself without thinking about it or wanting another drink. It is UNBELIEVABLE. This drug has saved me, my marriage and my family. Don't give up. Please find a doctor who will prescribe you this. I took one pill every night before bed--I did have bad insomnia the first two weeks but I stuck with it. If there is an event I know I'll be drinking I take the pill an hour before my first drink. GOOD LUCK and please find this pill if you're struggling!!!"

DS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm blessed that my doctor had the foresight to put me on naltrexone. At first I thought I was allergic to it because I vomited but I was still in withdrawal at that time. Luckily I kept taking it. Now, it seemed to take almost 2 months before I was seeing the difference. What I noticed first was that every time I thought of alcohol, I'd feel really nauseated. This went on for awhile to where now, I don't have that. I simply don't think about alcohol anymore and if I do, It's with indifference. I also think there are other factors that when combined, give you a very good chance at success. Just like always, you have to want to quit for it to have the best success rate. For me, naltrexone is nothing short of a miracle and why I have been 1 year and 1 month sober now. My advice is to stick with it, even if It seems like it's not doing anything. It took me about 7 weeks of taking it daily before I noticed the change. Best of luck."

Rick (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018