User Reviews for Singulair to treat Asthma

Singulair has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings for the treatment of Asthma. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Singulair Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Singulair

Angie March 9, 2020

“Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

MadmanMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 2, 2020

“While on this medication my asthma and allergies were almost non-existent. However, I also developed severe depression that almost took my life, anxiety, became easily agitated and had pain in my mouth and back. Since I stopped, I feel happier, more patient, less sore but my allergies have come back. If it weren't for the side effects, I would have kept taking it.”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

“1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

“After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

“I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

MadMax · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

“I started Singulair some 15-20 years ago. After 12 months developed dry eyes (in the worst way) seeing problems (cataracts) and angina. After stopping taking the drug, the angina went away and so did the dry eyes. Cataracts were removed. Fast forward to 2018. Nothing was helping the Asthma and agreed to go back on Singulair again, after 6 months the same exact problems came back had to stop. Angina and blurring eye site. I am now on Symbicort now for 3 months and the same thing has started to happen. Both meds work very well, but the side effects are the worst”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

“I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

“I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”

stcarolyn · Taken for 10 years or more November 29, 2013

“Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic. ”

suffi March 28, 2021

“On this medication I could finally sleep at night, literally. It helped so much with my asthma and my allergies. I could take deep breaths again. I needed my inhaler much less. But unfortunately like many others.. after three months of taking this (it takes time to build up in your system) I developed severe depression and I was very suicidal. Thankfully, I have a support system that I alerted of this possible side effect, and they were there for me. I went to my doctor and she advised to stop taking it (as I uncontrollably cried in the office) and I felt better within a week of being off it. Don’t let my experience scare you, because I really went back to normal as soon as I got off it. I have yet to find a new medication that makes my asthma/allergy so nonexistent!”

GL · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

“I was prescribed this medicine to help with my reaction to my allergy shots. And it does help with that but with a major side effect. I am an anxious mess the entire day. I have been walking around trying to avoid taking a Xanax but after running, lifting weights, deep breathing, meditating, and laying down, I finally had to take it. I think next time I'll just deal with the reaction on my arms.”

Kdugan11 · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2015

“Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. ”

Bookcat · Taken for 10 years or more November 9, 2020

“I was on Singulair for many years. It helped allergies and asthma significantly. However, I also had a significant problem with depression. My doctor told me to stop taking it when she read about the correlation with depression. After a few weeks I felt so much better mood-wise, but my allergy and asthma symptoms are that much worse. I was already taking Zyrtec (it has now been raised to a double dose), Flonase, Azelastin (a recent addition), Sudafed as needed, and Chlorpheniramine as needed. Doubling the Zyrtec was supposed to eliminate the need for the last two, but the taste of Azelastin is so unpleasant that the urge to just go back to Sudafed is very strong. I'm resisting because of age and HBP. The sinus clog/drip is ever-present. Retiring to Delaware has been great for our finances, very tough on allergies/asthma, slightly worse than northern Virginia. And I hear there's really no place to "hide."”

Ash109010 August 8, 2017

“Started taking generic Singulair on 7/26/17 by 8/02/17 I started having vivid dreams only at bedtime and every night until today when I called my doctor and got the medication changed. For just under a week every single night I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. The first night it happened I was cuddled up with my husband sleeping on his chest and I woke myself up snoring when I apologized to my husband for snoring so loud he said I wasn't snoring. I fell asleep again within ten minutes and thought I was still awake and I swore I saw a spider on the sheets by my face on my husband. I jumped up yelling spider woke myself up and freaked out my husband because there was no spider, I had dreamt the whole thing. It only got worse”

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

“Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more.”

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

“Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother.”

MayAG · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2015

“I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects.”

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

“Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long.”

jolene8992 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2016

“OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!”

77 terry January 30, 2017

“Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed.”

Raels · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2014

“I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!”

l2t233 · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2017

“I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic”

PatrickJoseph · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 10, 2012

“Singulair is an effective medicine -- but can have significant side effects. I experience a foggy head and depressed mood. I have also experienced muscle cramps in my back while on this. I have noticed in reading through the comments that quite a few people are suffering with some for of side effect from this medicine. One recommendation: I talked to my doctor about cutting he dose in half, from 10 mg to 5 mg. I now take a childrens 5 mg tablet. I still get relief but don't experience the same level of side effects.”

Dallas Nadja · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2013

“I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary.”