User Reviews for Singulair to treat Asthma

Singulair Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 168 medications used in the treatment of Asthma.

Reviews for Singulair

Angie March 9, 2020

“Be careful! After years of being misdiagnosed, I was given Singulair. Within 4 weeks, I no longer needed my nebulizer or rescue inhalers. I gradually became more tired, and extremely agitated. I began hearing voices in my own home and I live alone. It got worse, not better. One night, I was convinced someone was in my home. Every light in the house was on. I still kept seeing someone! Coming from a military background, and secure in owning firearms, I was searching my home with a gun. I was looking for an intruder who was NOT there! That was my final straw. I threw my Singulair in the garbage. I’m still agitated and frustrated. I am going to try over the counter medication deemed safe. I’m not sure how long the agitation and tiredness will last. I pray this will help someone. Please be careful on this medicine. For me, it’s not worth it. In 55 years, I’ve never seen anyone, or heard voices in my home, until Singulair. (5 weeks total taking it)”

Laz · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“My asthma came back strong at about age 46. I tried everything. I couldn't exist without an inhaler nearby. Couldn't sleep at night for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Woke up constantly always coughing. Additionally always had sinus infections. This drug has been a life-changer for me. It is a miracle. I haven't experienced any noticeable negative side effects. The first couple days I had some dizzy spells but they subsided. I can't say enough good things about how this has helped me. I went to a couple pulmonologist several emergency rooms and urgent cares along with my primary no one ever recommended this finally I found a ra or PA I don't know but she prescribed this for me and I am forever grateful.”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

“After I got asthma three months ago I personally thought I was going to be the end of me. My breathing was difficult and was making me depressed. I started singulair 2 months ago. It took about 6 weeks for the medicine to fully work for me but now I feel wonderful. I feel 95 pro cent like before I got ill. No side effects for me. I totally recommend!”

Ditsyblonde · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

“I was on singulair for a couple of years and I have depression with tremors/muscle spasms. Since stopping the meds, the pain in my back next to my lungs has returned but depression is getting better. Tremors are still happening after 2 weeks of not being on this.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

“I would give this med a zero if allowed. It made me have night terrors, depression, and thoughts of harming myself. I do not recommend it and believe it needs a black box warning.”

GL · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

“I was prescribed this medicine to help with my reaction to my allergy shots. And it does help with that but with a major side effect. I am an anxious mess the entire day. I have been walking around trying to avoid taking a Xanax but after running, lifting weights, deep breathing, meditating, and laying down, I finally had to take it. I think next time I'll just deal with the reaction on my arms.”

jlw · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

“1.5 months on Singulair and so far very happy. I have not had asthma flareup since beginning Singulair. This is a big deal for me after 1 year of regular flareups. I rarely need to use my Ventolin, still on Breo daily. I can breathe through my nose which is very new for me :) The earlier reviews scared me, but so far no issues with anxiety. I did have some weird dreams at first, but that has lessened. I'm very glad for the progress so far.”

Char · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2019

“I started with singulair a few months ago. Before taking it I would be awakened with wheezing, nasal congestion and just feeling like I could not get enough air. It has been a wonder drug, immediately all the asthma symptoms at night were relieved and stopped the early morning coughing. I occasionally have short term wheezing but nothing like previously and so far no side effects.”

Ash109010 August 8, 2017

“Started taking generic Singulair on 7/26/17 by 8/02/17 I started having vivid dreams only at bedtime and every night until today when I called my doctor and got the medication changed. For just under a week every single night I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. The first night it happened I was cuddled up with my husband sleeping on his chest and I woke myself up snoring when I apologized to my husband for snoring so loud he said I wasn't snoring. I fell asleep again within ten minutes and thought I was still awake and I swore I saw a spider on the sheets by my face on my husband. I jumped up yelling spider woke myself up and freaked out my husband because there was no spider, I had dreamt the whole thing. It only got worse”

It works · Taken for 10 years or more July 26, 2017

“I have been using this medication for 18 years now. It has proven to be very helpful as I have pretty bad asthma. Always come back to singulair after trying something new. Great maintenance drug.”

Lou ann1 June 19, 2017

“It worked very well for asthma symptoms. Greatly reduced lung inflammation. It takes quite a few weeks to reach max effectiveness. But gave me joint aches, muscle aches and all over malaise. This is listed as an uncommon side effect so it may not affect most.”

Miker777 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 2, 2017

“Caused severe anger and self control issues in my son.”

l2t233 · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2017

“I was started on it after the first acute sudden asthma attack of my life and the inhalers weren't working... which landed me in the emergency room and had some continuing lung spasms in the weeks following this. Once on it, for the first time in many years I was no longer waking up wheezing and with shortness of breath at night. It's been wonderful! Fortunately, I have never had any of the side effects noted by others. I remember feeling early on that singulair may have contributed to weight gain, but it was very hard to tell as I was at that age - late 40s - when this begins to happen naturally. If so, I certainly would have preferred to not to gain weight, but the benefits of having a "normal" life with singulair have been fantastic”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2017

“I read these reviews a year ago and was completely terrified to take this medicine. I let my asthma go so long out of fear that I was going to have a bad reaction that now I need medicine just to breathe at night. I rated it an 8 because I've only taken 1 dose but that was the first night I fell asleep being able to breathe fully in a long time. Today is the first day I only needed my rescue inhaler one time (so far). I'm hoping as I continue to take it, it'll get even better. Also, no side effects what-so-ever. Please try to take medicine for yourself and see how you feel before you put things off. I'm loving Singulair and the way I can breathe!”

77 terry January 30, 2017

“Asthma all my life (40 yrs old) but wanted to cut down / get off the steroid inhaler (Symbicourt) as it does lead to weight gain / hunger pangs and bloating of face. Offered Singulair - Took one tablet in the daytime - Wrong thing to do !! Completely sedated feeling. Made a call to continue taking the following treatment : 1. Symbicourt in the morning (Symbicourt users will concede it's like drinking 10 Cups of Coffee) 2. Take a half of Singulair before bed (I have the best nights sleep every night due to its mildly sedative effect). Best of both worlds.. I have never had broken sleep for 40 years.. once I started with Singular I sleep like a baby and wake up completely refreshed.”

Very ticked off November 5, 2016

“Since taking Singulair I have tooth pain, tingling in my face, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. Plus my anxiety level went up, feel really tired, and very agitated. Stopped taking it last night. Hope these side effects go away soon. This metallic taste is driving me crazy! This is the 2nd time I've tried it. Same side effects and more.”

Lady Byrd · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2016

“Been talking this medication so long, don't see where it is helping because I still have the same symptoms over and over.”

N.A · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 20, 2016

“I have been taking singulair for almost a year now or more. I usually don't dream , so I haven't noticed any unusual nightmares. Seriously , I can't tell if my anxiety is because of singulair or not . I am anxious by nature and this semester is really stressful and can drive anyone crazy ! I usually think about life , death , why we are here? and this kind of stuff . . DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SINGULAIR ? I really want to find an answer for that .I recommend singulair when you don't have any other choice , but if you have one then absolutely choose it. Sing. is bad but effective.”

Martyn Central Coast April 7, 2016

“Since taking Singulair my condition has improved dramatically. I no longer wheeze and I sleep well. I have been a chronic asthmatic for 54 years. Now I have been given a new lease on life. I am so happy and active. It's an emotional thing after suffering for so long.”

jolene8992 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2016

“OMG!! I've been taking singulair for one week. I haven't received my advair from the mail order pharmacy....but, singulair is a miracle. I had shortness of breath (SOB) and tight chest - it felt like I was having angina. Really after the 1st dose I noticed I coughed less. Today I walked all the way from the back parking lot to my floor without stopping or SOB. Didn't even have to use my inhaler. Amazing!”

MayAG · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2015

“I took Singulair for a week because I was having trouble with my asthma and allergies. But I also have anxiety and panic attacks often and Singulair made it so much worse!! Every time I took it my heart would race and even the next morning I would still have a racing heart. I ended up having panic attacks every day and going to the ER twice in a week while on this. I will NEVER take this again, it's very bad for people who have anxiety. My asthma is still bad but it wasn't worth trying because of the side effects.”

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

“Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother.”

Arkjd2011 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2015

“I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA.”

Kdugan11 · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2015

“Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. ”

Raels · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2014

“I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!”