User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: MetroCream, MetroGel, MetroGel-Vaginal, MetroLotion, Noritate, Nuvessa, Rosaclear, Rosadan, Rozex, Vandazole, Vitazol

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Bacterial Vaginitis 37 reviews 30 medications

7.2
Perioral Dermatitis 2 reviews 121 medications

6.7
Rosacea 45 reviews 105 medications

6.5
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 84 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Metronidazole

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "After being treated for yeast for 8 months with little success, my doctor put me on metrogel as kind of a last resort to soothe my itching/burning/abnormal discharge/tingling even though my cultures keep coming back negative for everything... I've taken metrogel before when I actually had a positive culture for BV and had no complaints. This time around, I'm on my second night and feel awful. Itching is still there + I have body aches, chills, feel nauseous... I'm going to continue using this medicine for the next 3 nights and I'll check back in to finish the review... also have a gross discharge but I assume this is the gel coming out..."

Overthis17 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "Very good for folliculitis! Tried everything else. Gave me relief after first application."

Mimi joy March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nuvessa (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "So it came back a LOT since last posting. I have had to figure everything out myself. It was hormone related big time ! Got on nuvaring birth control for 3 or 4 months recently and have come off the last month. That helped more than anything. Reset your hormone Balance with birth control. Also BV has a hard time living when you take birth controls."

Brooksmitty (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I think this stuff is great. I have rosacea that seems to run in the family, worsened by the dryness of winter. I've been using this for a week and it works pretty well. Apply it once before bed and another time during the day, and my skin had significantly improved in redness. The scaliness of rosacea is also gone. Would recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I had seriousl Rosecea that I allowed to go undiagnosed/untreated for years. Until the point it effected my eyes and then I knew I had to do something. I have been using this cream for 5 days now in addition to a sulfa wash, doxycycline daily and CreaVe moisturizer. The results are slow (but my case was extreme so keep that in mind) but I'm starting to notice improvements in the texture of my skin as well as decreased redness and swelling. I use it 2 times daily. My advice is be patient with it. Don't expect overnight results but I think you will be pleased after strict continued use within a week or so."

Anonymous January 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole) for Rosacea: "Started tonight. Reviews here give me hope."

JRENNEEMILLIGAN (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "Garbage. It takes it away for a little while and right back again it comes. I been going through this for 15 years now. As far as I'm concerned this medicine causes it to reoccur which I feel like the government and pharmaceuticals purposely did to make MONEY."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole) for Rosacea: "I find Metrogel more effective than Finacea. It minimizes redness and breakouts with no irritation."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "My doctor took several vaginal samples and tested for yeast, all std's, and bacteria. The ONLY thing that was positive was g. Gardnerella, which is bacteria. She gave me flagyl 500 MG daily x7 days and told me to use metrogel 2x a week for 4-6 months. Still not better and just finished 5 weeks of the gel, which is 10 doses. I have zero odor, never had any, but my discharge is like acid. My skin around the vaginal opening is extremely red and it burns and sometimes I itch. I'm majorly frustrated. I have used desitin and vaseline to try and keep the discharge from burning me so bad (docs suggestion) but those tend to make me worse! I'm truly so depressed I just don't feel like this is ever going to go away. No sex for 5 months now."

BaileyMaxx (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Pap came back saying i had BV. Ok was given this gel to use at night for 5 days. Ugh 3rd night stomach ache since day one will finish the last 3 and hopefully i will feel better. Today I though i was going to pass out. Actually hope its the prescription and not something else. It cost $113 with my crap insurance. Good thing for my health savings plan."

Never heard of this (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "Day 1 of rosacea flareup - thought I was having an allergic reaction to seafood. My face turned red and swollen, my chest was covered in a rash. I took Benadryl that did nothing other than make me sleep. Day 2 - symptoms got worse with my skin hurting but realized it was Rosacea. I had a tube of Metronidazole cream that I put on immediately relieving the pain. Day 3 - skin looks much better today. Started on Minocycline 50 mg. qid. Couldn’t sleep because of itching. Day 4 - less redness and swelling. No itching. Day 5 and on - cheeks still red but otherwise look normal. Rash is gone. After stopping the Metronidazole, skin texture gradually returned to normal. I’m still on the antibiotic."

drkinney (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I am 43 & noticed a change in my face after my second baby. After breastfeeding I was finally excited to see a dermatologist. Immediately was told Rosacea. She prescribed doxycycline & metro gel. Within days I saw improvements but at my 60 day appt I still looked red. She told me to continue & return in 60 days. I am nearing my appt with no acne but redness & a slight scarring complexion. My cheeks, nose & chin get really red from heat or spicy foods I've noticed. I don't really feel like the metro gel is helping much cause I always wear a little redness nowadays."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Rozex (metronidazole) for Rosacea: "After only 1 week applying the gel on my nose and cheeks I have an upper respiratory problem, runny nose and feel horrible. One week. My cheeks burned and itched. I am a nurse and will NEVER use this gel again. My doctor's response was nil..so much for medical professionals understanding side affects of meds they prescribe. Runny nose, watery eyes, upper respiratory discomfort. This product is HORRIBLE. And, why must I accept the Drugs.com Terms and Conditions??"

Angie10,000 October 10, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've had bv off and on for 3 years, tried the 7 day course multiple times. Always came back in a couple days. Was told to do metro gel twice a week for 6 months. This has kept it at bay but never got rid of it. I was tested positive for group strep b, was told I may have had this overgrowth infection since I gave birth to my second son.... 3 years ago.. and that it could be the cause of the bv or the symptoms of bv. After the penicillin treatment, I've noticed a slight difference but still having to use the metro gel to keep it at bay. I take a raw probiotic twice a day as well. I wish this medicine worked like it has on everyone I've known to it. This bv stuff is so crippling"

Ughhhh October 6, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "Initially had good response to gel but 10 days after starting it, I looked like I had a mild sunburn. I then started getting multiple finger joint swelling with swelling, redness and pain, and then gastric problems. Obviously having side effects. Back to neomycin creme!"

dragonfly VA (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "I used metrogel for 5 nights. It worked great. The itching and burning were relieved the very first night I took it. I did have to do a sixth dose two nights after the fifth night because the symptoms came back slightly but since then I have been fine. That was a week ago and since then no problems at all. The only home remedies I had tried were the probiotics, folic acid, vitamin D and vitamin C. I also ate a lot of plain yogurt. I think the vitamins and yogurt worked to give temporary relief but ultimately it was the Metrogel that did the trick. Crossing my fingers I don't have a relapse. I decided to use the gel and not the pills so the drugs don't have to go through your whole body. The gel just attacks the problem at the source."

candyapple4015 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "For papules and pustules I give it 10/10 but for the rozacea redness I give it 1/10 it makes the rozacea redness on my cheeks a lot worse but it cleared the papules and pustules on my forehead completely with one application"

bilal11 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "Started the gel 5 or so weeks ago for my rosacea and it's just gotten a million times worse. My cheeks are angrier than ever and I'm even getting spots on areas that are normally clear, like my forehead, nose, and chin."

vanillarobins August 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I did experience some side effects: the feeling of menstrual cramping (but not because I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago), diarrhea, some vaginally discharge. Nothing severe or unbearable."

NancyD1962 August 27, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "This drug seems to work for me and get rid of the symptoms of bv, the smell and the itch however the bv itself seems to come back so I think it clears the symptom but doesn't cure the problem in my body."

Isabella217777 August 22, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Update! Culture came back and negative again so I am being treated correctly. This is my 5th day on the gel and so far so good. No side effects - I haven't experienced any of the "cottage cheese" like discharge that others have talked about which I'm thankful for cause it doesn't sound pleasant. However you will get a yeast infection on this medicine! But it works, don't be scared!"

JulesSan (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've been on the gel for 3 days... First diagnosed with a UTI with no growth. Finished Cipro and still had symptoms. Second round- pelvic exam & swab... Still had bacteria & yeast so was prescribed metro gel. No side effects - but hasn't helped my issue. Waiting for 2nd culture to come back to see if still UTI and wasn't sensitive to the Cipro and need something new. Pains from hell"

JulesSan July 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole) for Rosacea: "I have had chronic Rosacea for at least the past 30 or more years, but only on my nose, and I have treated it with MetroGel cream each morning after I shower. There have been no side effects, and it has controlled the Rosecea to the point where I have no redness or symptoms. As a retired Air Force officer and pilot on Medicare, and with acccess to military pharmacies and now TRICARE for Life, my costs are zero."

Fighter Pilot July 9, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I tried the Metro gel for the first time for Bacterial Vaginosis. I have always used antibiotic pills before. Using yogurt and probiotics I have never had a yeast infection after antibiotics...until using the Metro gel. I have never had a yeast infection so bad that yeast clumps were falling out...until using the Metro gel. The yeast infection began before I was even done with the Metro gel. There was NO yeast present before the Metro gel. A culture was run at the lab before starting any treatment and that is how the BV was diagnosed. YI did not show at all on the lab result! I will NEVER us the Metro gel again unless I am given Diflucan (spelling?) pills to take through the gel treatment to prevent the yeast infection."

BV to Yeast! (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "Used it twice a day for several months and it did nothing to help reduce the redness or bumps. It cost 80$ as well, and that was with 80 percent covered."

RustyShackleford June 28, 2016