Metronidazole topical Side Effects
More frequently reported side effects include: cervical candidiasis and vaginitis. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to metronidazole topical: vaginal cream, vaginal gel/jelly, vaginal suppository
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, metronidazole topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking metronidazole topical:
- Itching in the vagina
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor
- Abdominal or stomach cramping or pain
- burning on urination or need to urinate more often
- burning or irritation of penis of sexual partner
- itching, stinging, or redness of the genital area
Some side effects of metronidazole topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dryness of the mouth
- feeling of a furry tongue
- loss of appetite
- metallic taste or other change in taste sensation
Metronidazole may cause your urine to become dark. This is harmless and will go away when you stop using this medicine.
After you stop using this medicine, it may still produce some side effects that need attention. During this period of time, check with your doctor immediately if you notice the following side effects:
- Any vaginal or genital irritation or itching
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge not present before treatment, with no odor or with a mild odor
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to metronidazole topical: topical cream, topical gel, topical kit, topical lotion, vaginal gel with applicator
Topical: The most frequently reported side effects were nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache.
Vaginal: The most frequently reported side effects were fungal infection, vulvovaginal candidiasis, headache, vulvovaginal pruritus, nausea, diarrhea, metrorrhagia, breast pain, infection, rash, pharyngitis, abdominal pain, pruritus, and dysmenorrhea.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Mild dryness (17.1%), mild scaling (16.2%)
Common (1% to 10%): Moderate dryness, moderate scaling, mild pruritus, moderate pruritus, severe pruritus, mild stinging/burning, moderate stinging/burning, severe stinging/burning, local allergic reaction
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Severe dryness, severe scaling
Frequency not reported: Application site reaction, condition aggravated, transient redness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dysmenorrhea, breast pain, metrorrhagia, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal pruritus, urinary tract infection, vaginal itching/irritation/burning/numbness, pelvic discomfort, vaginal discharge
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vaginal mycosis, urine discolored, vulva edema, menstrual discomfort/irregularities, vaginal spotting/bleeding
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, gastritis, tooth disorder, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal cramps, vomiting
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Tingling/numb extremities, taste metallic, dysgeusia, paresthesia, hypothesia
Frequency not reported: Peripheral neuropathy, ataxia
Postmarketing reports: Taste perversion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pharyngitis, bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection, nasal congestion
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertension[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Hyperpigmentation, pigmentation disorder, hypertrichosis[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Fungal infection (12%), flu syndrome (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Infection, influenza, abscess, pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Fatigue
Frequency not reported: Mucous membrane disorder[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Depression, difficult sleep, irritability
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Basal cell carcinoma
Frequency not reported: Eye irritation, watery eye
Postmarketing reports: Eyelid edema[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Liver function test abnormal[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Appetite decreased
Frequency not reported: Pyelonephritis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. MetroLotion (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Cranbury, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Noritate (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Vaginal (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Oceanside Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
6. "Product Information. Rosadan (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals Inc, Fairfield, NJ.
7. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Topical (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." G & W Laboratories Inc, South Plainfield, NJ.
8. "Product Information. Vandazole (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
9. "Product Information. Metrogel (metronidazole)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Fort Worth, TX.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about metronidazole topical
- Metronidazole topical Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 128 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents
- Metronidazole topical
- Metronidazole vaginal
- Metronidazole Cream, Gel, and Lotion
- Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion
- Metronidazole Vaginal Gel
- ... +2 more