User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: MetroCream, MetroGel, MetroGel-Vaginal, MetroLotion, Noritate, Nuvessa, Rosaclear, Rosadan, Rozex, Vandazole, Vitazol

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Rosacea

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I wasted £8.60 on this garbage. Would strongly suggest antibiotics instead of wasting both time and money."

Keith344 September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Earlier this year my skin looked downright awful with tons of redness with small papules all over my forehead. I started using this once per day with Avene Skin Recovery Cream and my skin is clear, less red. Love!!"

Cleobaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozex (metronidazole): "When I first looked at the reviews for Rozex I was terrified because so many of them said it made their condition worse until someone reminded me that happy people don't usually write reviews. So I wanted to write a good one. I have acne rosacea so about 5 minutes after I would take a sip of red wine I would break out in huge bumps that last for weeks. I'm a 20yr old in Ireland, so obviously the idea of never drinking again was troubling, but so was the thought of having horrible acne after so many years of nice skin. I started rozex a few months ago and the effects came in semi-slowly (maybe a month or two) but now it works amazingly. I don't even worry about it anymore. I can go on a huge night out and wake up with great skin."

ErinW1996 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 26-year-old male and have been diagnosed with Rosacea. The affected area is my face and it is more apparent on one cheek than the other. I have redness and little bumps. The redness is not in one general area, it is in small patches (you can skin clear skin between the affected areas). I have been on both Doxycycline Mono (100mg) and Metronidazole topical cream. My rosacea has been characterized as "mild" by my dermatologist. I have only been on both medications for five days, so my "5" rating is not meant to actually rate the drug in total, just this far. I have seen no real improvement yet, but my derma advised me that it may take up to three months to begin seeing results. I will update as time go by."

RS26 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 44 and have had rosacea (untreated) for about 15 years...with pustules mostly the last 2-3 years...one doctor telling me it was adult acne. Anyway, it got really bad after changing my diet to keto, and I knew it should have cleared my skin up but the pustules got so bad. My Dr prescribed the generic gel and within two weeks the pustules were completely goneband another two weeks and skin texture is wonderful, but the redness remains on my cheeks so only 8/10. I'm going to ask my Dr about something else when I go back for the redness. I'd like to know why I waited so long to treat it. This worked great and my skin hasn't been this clear ever in my life. No side effects that I can tell"

Darktragedy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had mild to moderate Rosacea and started using the Metro cream two weeks ago. I saw improvement within the first week. I've been using it twice a day after washing my face with Garnier Sulfate -Free Gentle Cleanser. I have dry skin so I then use CeraVe lotion with SPF 30 in the a.m. and CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream in the p.m. These combinations have really worked for me. I think I am ready to cut back to once a day in the p.m. I've been rather impressed with CeraVe moisturizers and the Garnier cleanser. I'm 63 years old and was very frustrated by how my skin was changing having had pretty good skin throughout my life. My skin is now clearer and brighter with no eruptions."

Lucybelle63 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had mild rosacea when I started using metrocream 0.75%. It made me break out extremely badly all over my cheeks and nose. I think it clogged my pores, making the redness and Rosacea much worse. Very disappointed in the setback it gave me."

Rgparsons68 March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good for folliculitis! Tried everything else. Gave me relief after first application."

Mimi joy March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this stuff is great. I have rosacea that seems to run in the family, worsened by the dryness of winter. I've been using this for a week and it works pretty well. Apply it once before bed and another time during the day, and my skin had significantly improved in redness. The scaliness of rosacea is also gone. Would recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had seriousl Rosecea that I allowed to go undiagnosed/untreated for years. Until the point it effected my eyes and then I knew I had to do something. I have been using this cream for 5 days now in addition to a sulfa wash, doxycycline daily and CreaVe moisturizer. The results are slow (but my case was extreme so keep that in mind) but I'm starting to notice improvements in the texture of my skin as well as decreased redness and swelling. I use it 2 times daily. My advice is be patient with it. Don't expect overnight results but I think you will be pleased after strict continued use within a week or so."

Anonymous January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

MetroGel (metronidazole): "Started tonight. Reviews here give me hope."

JRENNEEMILLIGAN (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I find Metrogel more effective than Finacea. It minimizes redness and breakouts with no irritation."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 1 of rosacea flareup - thought I was having an allergic reaction to seafood. My face turned red and swollen, my chest was covered in a rash. I took Benadryl that did nothing other than make me sleep. Day 2 - symptoms got worse with my skin hurting but realized it was Rosacea. I had a tube of Metronidazole cream that I put on immediately relieving the pain. Day 3 - skin looks much better today. Started on Minocycline 50 mg. qid. Couldn’t sleep because of itching. Day 4 - less redness and swelling. No itching. Day 5 and on - cheeks still red but otherwise look normal. Rash is gone. After stopping the Metronidazole, skin texture gradually returned to normal. I’m still on the antibiotic."

drkinney (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 43 & noticed a change in my face after my second baby. After breastfeeding I was finally excited to see a dermatologist. Immediately was told Rosacea. She prescribed doxycycline & metro gel. Within days I saw improvements but at my 60 day appt I still looked red. She told me to continue & return in 60 days. I am nearing my appt with no acne but redness & a slight scarring complexion. My cheeks, nose & chin get really red from heat or spicy foods I've noticed. I don't really feel like the metro gel is helping much cause I always wear a little redness nowadays."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rozex (metronidazole): "After only 1 week applying the gel on my nose and cheeks I have an upper respiratory problem, runny nose and feel horrible. One week. My cheeks burned and itched. I am a nurse and will NEVER use this gel again. My doctor's response was nil..so much for medical professionals understanding side affects of meds they prescribe. Runny nose, watery eyes, upper respiratory discomfort. This product is HORRIBLE. And, why must I accept the Drugs.com Terms and Conditions??"

Angie10,000 October 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Initially had good response to gel but 10 days after starting it, I looked like I had a mild sunburn. I then started getting multiple finger joint swelling with swelling, redness and pain, and then gastric problems. Obviously having side effects. Back to neomycin creme!"

dragonfly VA (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For papules and pustules I give it 10/10 but for the rozacea redness I give it 1/10 it makes the rozacea redness on my cheeks a lot worse but it cleared the papules and pustules on my forehead completely with one application"

bilal11 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started the gel 5 or so weeks ago for my rosacea and it's just gotten a million times worse. My cheeks are angrier than ever and I'm even getting spots on areas that are normally clear, like my forehead, nose, and chin."

vanillarobins August 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I have had chronic Rosacea for at least the past 30 or more years, but only on my nose, and I have treated it with MetroGel cream each morning after I shower. There have been no side effects, and it has controlled the Rosecea to the point where I have no redness or symptoms. As a retired Air Force officer and pilot on Medicare, and with acccess to military pharmacies and now TRICARE for Life, my costs are zero."

Fighter Pilot July 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used it twice a day for several months and it did nothing to help reduce the redness or bumps. It cost 80$ as well, and that was with 80 percent covered."

RustyShackleford June 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I am 63 and never had a skin condition... Ever. Heat, stress, lack of sleep all contributed to a redness to my face. Now it cracks and peels and swells. I started metronidazoleb and it clears up in two days. Put non oily lotion over the top and I can put makeup on. Yeah"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At the age of 33 my nose stayed to break out at the Time I thought it was acne but after seeing A dermatologist I was told It was rosacea with looks like acne with red spot and white heads . I used the metro .75 percent gel for one week and felt like it made it worse so I stopped . After 3 weeks my rosacea was at the worse it had been I tryed the gel again . 2 weeks on the gel and I have not got any white heads or and new spots I do have redness . Only side affect is it seems as I am growing hair on my nose not sure"

Armr123 June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication did nothing for me."

sarasarasara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After nine years of no flare ups, I suddenly found myself with the red cheeks and pustules. I decided to consult a dermatologist who prescribed me sulfa cleanse and a very low dose antibiotic. Within several days, my face was extremely red, raw, and full of large, painful pustules. Heartbroken, I decided to see my regular doctor and he prescribed me metro gel and a stronger antibiotic. I saw results instantly. From one day to the next, my redness and inflammation went down to the point that I noticed it. Now, only 5 days later, my face is back to normal. I am amazed at how fast the metro gel, combined with the right antibiotics, cleared my face up. I am forever grateful to my doctor and metro gel for helping me smile again."

Rosacea Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Noritate (metronidazole): "It's great, doesn't help the infrequent redness but keeps the skin clear. for me, just when I notice the flare up until it subsides. The cost is exorbitant. $1800 a tube 60g."

15040 WPR November 8, 2015