User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: MetroCream, MetroGel, MetroGel-Vaginal, MetroLotion, Noritate, Nuvessa, Rosaclear, Rosadan, Rozex, Vandazole, Vitazol

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Rosacea

"First time I used it was six years ago when I had my first outbreak of rosacea. It worked fast and good. I stopped using it, because my skin was good. Now I am pregnant and from the beginning I had the worst rosacea outbreak. Lots of papules and pustules. I tried metronidazole for 3 weeks. It made my rosacea so much worse. I stopped!, So, doctor told me to keep using it for a bit longer to work. (which I found strange since last time it worked so fast). Still, I used it again for 5 weeks straight. My face is a big mess and even the bumps I had from the start are still there also, sometimes not inflamed, sometimes they get inflamed again. Even make-up looks horrible now. I only used it on my left cheek. My right cheek is so much better (but my rosacea also was better on right side from start). I think mine is hormone related now, am going to stop to see what happens. I guess I just need to go with this face till the baby comes and hormones get settled."

me April 22, 2018

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I treated my face with metrocream for years and it worked quickly and effectively. It was also covered by my insurance. Recently I ran out, and discovered metrocream was no longer available and has been replaced by metrogel. Not covered by my insurance, metrogel cost me $188.19 CDN + tax for a single tube. If that isn't bad enough, it simply does not work. I feel like I was mugged."

Subtle_Whisper (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

MetroCream (metronidazole): "This cream made my rosacea 100% worse. It actually caused my face to burn, itch and was very painful. I had to apply cold compresses to my face to relieve the pain. My dermatologist told me to stop using it and prescribed Triamcinolone ointment. This ointment took away the pain and some of the itching, and caused the red and purple bumps to flatten out. I'm still in the middle of a terrible flare up. I am also taking Doxycycline 100 mg. once daily. I think I am allergic to this cream."

Mickey (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

MetroGel (metronidazole): "It worked for about 2 months and then quit helping me. Before I went on metrogel I had no flushing, and just one itchy bump on my face occasionally. For 2 months it completely stopped the itchy bumps from happening. Unfortunately all of the sudden I started flushing, and am getting little acne-like bumps all around my mouth and forehead, along with the original itchy bumps I had before all over my face. I guess the itchy bumps are less itchy than they used to be, so that's something at least. So ya, for me it just stopped working and now I'm much worse than before. I'm still using it, but I'm going to ask my dermatologist to switch me to something else."

Horroracea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2018

"This stuff has worked great for me. I’ve been on it for a little over a month now and I’ve never seen my skin this clear in a very long time. I’m 35 and have been dealing with acne since I was a teenager. I got the cream type of metronidazole by the way. It seems to moisturize as well."

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

"I tried Soolantra first for my rosacea/acne but it made by face wayyy worse. Red, bumpy, inflamed. Apparently I had some kind of reaction to it. I was switched to metronidazole gel about a month ago. Within days my face started clearing up and my skin became extremely soft for the first time ever. I don't even need to moisturize anymore, it's amazing! I've been extremely impressed with this medication and I'll keep using it as long as they make it!"

Laura (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

"At 63 I saw a dermatologist in November of 2017 to check for skin cancer (found a precancerous spot). My face and ears get really red at times. I was told I also have Rosacea. After doing some research, I now know that certain foods, heat, alcohol, among other things trigger the redness. I was prescribed metronidazole topical and told to use it 2x daily. I also purchased Avene gentle cleanser and other products to help my condition. I have been pretty faithful in using these. I am also trying to watch what I eat or drink. At first this cream seemed to burn. It has gotten better. I am not getting as red as often. However my cheeks are almost always pink. I went to the dermatologist for a follow up this week. I was advised to continue to use metronidazole. I am giving it more time and hoping that this works."

Patches (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2018

"Realised I had Rosacea after speaking to my dad who was recently diagnosed. I thought I had adult acne (I’m 37). I would say it is mild as it’s only on 1 of my cheeks but it didn’t look good under makeup. I have been using this for 1 week and the effect has been miraculous. My skin on my cheek is completely clear of the rosacea which is amazing. I wish I would have found this 2 years ago."

Beccico (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2018

"For the last year I've had rosacea mostly on the tip of my nose. I'm 42 and prior to this I've had basically flawless skin. The tip of my nose became red, flakey and extreme oily it was an extremely stressful time. I tried everything natural and nothing works. I tried the jel and even first day I noticed a slight improvement and way less oily in the morning the 2nd day was even better. I'm on the 3 day and already the redness is starting to fade."

Bus man 33 December 17, 2017

"After just one application I felt and saw a noticeable improvement"

Kjobro December 1, 2017

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I wasted £8.60 on this garbage. Would strongly suggest antibiotics instead of wasting both time and money."

Keith344 September 6, 2017

"Earlier this year my skin looked downright awful with tons of redness with small papules all over my forehead. I started using this once per day with Avene Skin Recovery Cream and my skin is clear, less red. Love!!"

Cleobaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Rozex (metronidazole): "When I first looked at the reviews for Rozex I was terrified because so many of them said it made their condition worse until someone reminded me that happy people don't usually write reviews. So I wanted to write a good one. I have acne rosacea so about 5 minutes after I would take a sip of red wine I would break out in huge bumps that last for weeks. I'm a 20yr old in Ireland, so obviously the idea of never drinking again was troubling, but so was the thought of having horrible acne after so many years of nice skin. I started rozex a few months ago and the effects came in semi-slowly (maybe a month or two) but now it works amazingly. I don't even worry about it anymore. I can go on a huge night out and wake up with great skin."

ErinW1996 July 2, 2017

"I am a 26-year-old male and have been diagnosed with Rosacea. The affected area is my face and it is more apparent on one cheek than the other. I have redness and little bumps. The redness is not in one general area, it is in small patches (you can skin clear skin between the affected areas). I have been on both Doxycycline Mono (100mg) and Metronidazole topical cream. My rosacea has been characterized as "mild" by my dermatologist. I have only been on both medications for five days, so my "5" rating is not meant to actually rate the drug in total, just this far. I have seen no real improvement yet, but my derma advised me that it may take up to three months to begin seeing results. I will update as time go by."

RS26 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

"I'm 44 and have had rosacea (untreated) for about 15 years...with pustules mostly the last 2-3 years...one doctor telling me it was adult acne. Anyway, it got really bad after changing my diet to keto, and I knew it should have cleared my skin up but the pustules got so bad. My Dr prescribed the generic gel and within two weeks the pustules were completely goneband another two weeks and skin texture is wonderful, but the redness remains on my cheeks so only 8/10. I'm going to ask my Dr about something else when I go back for the redness. I'd like to know why I waited so long to treat it. This worked great and my skin hasn't been this clear ever in my life. No side effects that I can tell"

Darktragedy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

"I had mild to moderate Rosacea and started using the Metro cream two weeks ago. I saw improvement within the first week. I've been using it twice a day after washing my face with Garnier Sulfate -Free Gentle Cleanser. I have dry skin so I then use CeraVe lotion with SPF 30 in the a.m. and CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream in the p.m. These combinations have really worked for me. I think I am ready to cut back to once a day in the p.m. I've been rather impressed with CeraVe moisturizers and the Garnier cleanser. I'm 63 years old and was very frustrated by how my skin was changing having had pretty good skin throughout my life. My skin is now clearer and brighter with no eruptions."

Lucybelle63 May 12, 2017

"I had mild rosacea when I started using metrocream 0.75%. It made me break out extremely badly all over my cheeks and nose. I think it clogged my pores, making the redness and Rosacea much worse. Very disappointed in the setback it gave me."

Rgparsons68 March 27, 2017

"Very good for folliculitis! Tried everything else. Gave me relief after first application."

Mimi joy March 11, 2017

"I think this stuff is great. I have rosacea that seems to run in the family, worsened by the dryness of winter. I've been using this for a week and it works pretty well. Apply it once before bed and another time during the day, and my skin had significantly improved in redness. The scaliness of rosacea is also gone. Would recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

"I had seriousl Rosecea that I allowed to go undiagnosed/untreated for years. Until the point it effected my eyes and then I knew I had to do something. I have been using this cream for 5 days now in addition to a sulfa wash, doxycycline daily and CreaVe moisturizer. The results are slow (but my case was extreme so keep that in mind) but I'm starting to notice improvements in the texture of my skin as well as decreased redness and swelling. I use it 2 times daily. My advice is be patient with it. Don't expect overnight results but I think you will be pleased after strict continued use within a week or so."

Anonymous January 17, 2017

MetroGel (metronidazole): "Started tonight. Reviews here give me hope."

JRENNEEMILLIGAN (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I find Metrogel more effective than Finacea. It minimizes redness and breakouts with no irritation."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

"Day 1 of rosacea flareup - thought I was having an allergic reaction to seafood. My face turned red and swollen, my chest was covered in a rash. I took Benadryl that did nothing other than make me sleep. Day 2 - symptoms got worse with my skin hurting but realized it was Rosacea. I had a tube of Metronidazole cream that I put on immediately relieving the pain. Day 3 - skin looks much better today. Started on Minocycline 50 mg. qid. Couldn’t sleep because of itching. Day 4 - less redness and swelling. No itching. Day 5 and on - cheeks still red but otherwise look normal. Rash is gone. After stopping the Metronidazole, skin texture gradually returned to normal. I’m still on the antibiotic."

drkinney (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

"I am 43 & noticed a change in my face after my second baby. After breastfeeding I was finally excited to see a dermatologist. Immediately was told Rosacea. She prescribed doxycycline & metro gel. Within days I saw improvements but at my 60 day appt I still looked red. She told me to continue & return in 60 days. I am nearing my appt with no acne but redness & a slight scarring complexion. My cheeks, nose & chin get really red from heat or spicy foods I've noticed. I don't really feel like the metro gel is helping much cause I always wear a little redness nowadays."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Rozex (metronidazole): "After only 1 week applying the gel on my nose and cheeks I have an upper respiratory problem, runny nose and feel horrible. One week. My cheeks burned and itched. I am a nurse and will NEVER use this gel again. My doctor's response was nil..so much for medical professionals understanding side affects of meds they prescribe. Runny nose, watery eyes, upper respiratory discomfort. This product is HORRIBLE. And, why must I accept the Drugs.com Terms and Conditions??"

Angie10,000 October 10, 2016