User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: MetroCream, MetroGel, MetroGel-Vaginal, MetroLotion, Noritate, Nuvessa, Rosaclear, Rosadan, Rozex, Vandazole, Vitazol

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Metronidazole Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Metronidazole to treat Rosacea

"I had mild rosacea when I started using metrocream 0.75%. It made me break out extremely badly all over my cheeks and nose. I think it clogged my pores, making the redness and Rosacea much worse. Very disappointed in the setback it gave me."

Rgparsons68 March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good for folliculitis! Tried everything else. Gave me relief after first application."

Mimi joy March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I think this stuff is great. I have rosacea that seems to run in the family, worsened by the dryness of winter. I've been using this for a week and it works pretty well. Apply it once before bed and another time during the day, and my skin had significantly improved in redness. The scaliness of rosacea is also gone. Would recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had seriousl Rosecea that I allowed to go undiagnosed/untreated for years. Until the point it effected my eyes and then I knew I had to do something. I have been using this cream for 5 days now in addition to a sulfa wash, doxycycline daily and CreaVe moisturizer. The results are slow (but my case was extreme so keep that in mind) but I'm starting to notice improvements in the texture of my skin as well as decreased redness and swelling. I use it 2 times daily. My advice is be patient with it. Don't expect overnight results but I think you will be pleased after strict continued use within a week or so."

Anonymous January 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole): "Started tonight. Reviews here give me hope."

JRENNEEMILLIGAN (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I find Metrogel more effective than Finacea. It minimizes redness and breakouts with no irritation."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Day 1 of rosacea flareup - thought I was having an allergic reaction to seafood. My face turned red and swollen, my chest was covered in a rash. I took Benadryl that did nothing other than make me sleep. Day 2 - symptoms got worse with my skin hurting but realized it was Rosacea. I had a tube of Metronidazole cream that I put on immediately relieving the pain. Day 3 - skin looks much better today. Started on Minocycline 50 mg. qid. Couldn’t sleep because of itching. Day 4 - less redness and swelling. No itching. Day 5 and on - cheeks still red but otherwise look normal. Rash is gone. After stopping the Metronidazole, skin texture gradually returned to normal. I’m still on the antibiotic."

drkinney (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 43 & noticed a change in my face after my second baby. After breastfeeding I was finally excited to see a dermatologist. Immediately was told Rosacea. She prescribed doxycycline & metro gel. Within days I saw improvements but at my 60 day appt I still looked red. She told me to continue & return in 60 days. I am nearing my appt with no acne but redness & a slight scarring complexion. My cheeks, nose & chin get really red from heat or spicy foods I've noticed. I don't really feel like the metro gel is helping much cause I always wear a little redness nowadays."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Rozex (metronidazole): "After only 1 week applying the gel on my nose and cheeks I have an upper respiratory problem, runny nose and feel horrible. One week. My cheeks burned and itched. I am a nurse and will NEVER use this gel again. My doctor's response was nil..so much for medical professionals understanding side affects of meds they prescribe. Runny nose, watery eyes, upper respiratory discomfort. This product is HORRIBLE. And, why must I accept the Drugs.com Terms and Conditions??"

Angie10,000 October 10, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Initially had good response to gel but 10 days after starting it, I looked like I had a mild sunburn. I then started getting multiple finger joint swelling with swelling, redness and pain, and then gastric problems. Obviously having side effects. Back to neomycin creme!"

dragonfly VA (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For papules and pustules I give it 10/10 but for the rozacea redness I give it 1/10 it makes the rozacea redness on my cheeks a lot worse but it cleared the papules and pustules on my forehead completely with one application"

bilal11 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started the gel 5 or so weeks ago for my rosacea and it's just gotten a million times worse. My cheeks are angrier than ever and I'm even getting spots on areas that are normally clear, like my forehead, nose, and chin."

vanillarobins August 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I have had chronic Rosacea for at least the past 30 or more years, but only on my nose, and I have treated it with MetroGel cream each morning after I shower. There have been no side effects, and it has controlled the Rosecea to the point where I have no redness or symptoms. As a retired Air Force officer and pilot on Medicare, and with acccess to military pharmacies and now TRICARE for Life, my costs are zero."

Fighter Pilot July 9, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used it twice a day for several months and it did nothing to help reduce the redness or bumps. It cost 80$ as well, and that was with 80 percent covered."

RustyShackleford June 28, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole): "I am 63 and never had a skin condition... Ever. Heat, stress, lack of sleep all contributed to a redness to my face. Now it cracks and peels and swells. I started metronidazoleb and it clears up in two days. Put non oily lotion over the top and I can put makeup on. Yeah"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At the age of 33 my nose stayed to break out at the Time I thought it was acne but after seeing A dermatologist I was told It was rosacea with looks like acne with red spot and white heads . I used the metro .75 percent gel for one week and felt like it made it worse so I stopped . After 3 weeks my rosacea was at the worse it had been I tryed the gel again . 2 weeks on the gel and I have not got any white heads or and new spots I do have redness . Only side affect is it seems as I am growing hair on my nose not sure"

Armr123 June 18, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication did nothing for me."

sarasarasara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After nine years of no flare ups, I suddenly found myself with the red cheeks and pustules. I decided to consult a dermatologist who prescribed me sulfa cleanse and a very low dose antibiotic. Within several days, my face was extremely red, raw, and full of large, painful pustules. Heartbroken, I decided to see my regular doctor and he prescribed me metro gel and a stronger antibiotic. I saw results instantly. From one day to the next, my redness and inflammation went down to the point that I noticed it. Now, only 5 days later, my face is back to normal. I am amazed at how fast the metro gel, combined with the right antibiotics, cleared my face up. I am forever grateful to my doctor and metro gel for helping me smile again."

Rosacea Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Noritate (metronidazole): "It's great, doesn't help the infrequent redness but keeps the skin clear. for me, just when I notice the flare up until it subsides. The cost is exorbitant. $1800 a tube 60g."

15040 WPR November 8, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just started 2 days ago."

D R S September 28, 2015

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have found the gel to be extremely helpful (more so than the cream). It does take continuous use for me but it's worth the relief. I also use it on my ears for relief from flushing/burning sensation. Having the Rosasacea under control has also helped tremendously with my dry skin."

Hushpuppy September 8, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This cream really works for me in just one application I see a difference, I am also using for my rosacea a new cream called Soolantra this is the best!!! No inflamation , no dry skin, no bumps, my skin looks amazing! I apply Soolantra at night and Metronidazole in the morning and works great. I was so embarassed because how bad and flaky was skin was, no it looks great, healthy!"

Delarosa78 July 12, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Having foolishly used a steroid lotion on my forehead rosacea, I had a real flare up when after 2 weeks I stopped using it. Horrible lumps & lots of white-headed pustules appeared as well as larger red spots, making me very self-conscious. It hardly helped that I was about to head off an a 2 week business trip - meeting lots of new people. I tried Azelaic Acid which seemed to make matters more inflamed. Then, having over-looked it thinking it was pretty 'first base' I tried metrogel. (clear gel) After 2 days I thought I could see an improvement. Within 4 days it was clearly working; no new pustules were appearing and the old ones were being shrunk down. Within a week my forehead looked pretty clear. 10 days later it was fine. Recommended"

Cycling-Alec (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

MetroGel (metronidazole): "Have been diagnosed with Rosacea that I have had apparently for years, was not willing to seek medical advice and treatment due to money concerns. Two and 1/2 years since my last consulting with Dr. And all I can say is I am amazed at the results topically applied Metronidazole gel has given me. I am grateful for being able to shave my face without feeling like it was a blood sacrifice. Only one regret, why didn't I do it sooner. :) happier now"

Sootman June 22, 2015

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been using Metrocream for a week now and my rosacea is much worse then prior to using the cream. I had only redness but within days of using as I had a flare up and got bumps which got progressively worse and spreading. I tried putting a bit of Metrocream on a section of skin with no rosacea and within days had redness and rash pop up. It may be an allergic reaction but either way it I'm trashing Metrocream and seeking out more natural remedies and solutions."

Sash21 June 13, 2015