User Reviews for Metronidazole topical to treat Rosacea

Also known as: MetroGel, MetroGel-Vaginal, MetroCream, Vandazole, Noritate, Rosadan, Nuvessa, Rosaclear MetroLotion

Metronidazole topical has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 108 ratings for the treatment of Rosacea. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Metronidazole topical Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Metronidazole topical

DJP17 · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

MetroGel (metronidazole): “Redness took over my entire face. REDNESS EVERYWHERE. Missed diagnosis and had used 5 different anti biotic creams and it was spreading . Kept me up feeling like I wanted to sink my nails into my face to find relief. That morning I try a different doctor who immediately says ACNE Rosacea. He gives me MetroGel 0.75%. Day 1 -No Redness and a change/Itching@50%. Day 2 -No Redness Change/Itching cut 50%.Day 3 Signs Redness Change Day 4/5. Itching/Burning GONE. Redness down 25%. Day 6/7. Redness down 50%(skin was healing) 7/8 HUGE 80% redness gone.Sitting Now at day 11. My Redness is gone. (Expensive though) Drink lots of water. #3. A little bit goes a long way with this gel what I can attest to is I didnt need anymore then 2x/day and VERY little of this stuff . Just put a TINY drop on your finger and rub that in. It may not feel like you have all of the spot but trust me it gets in there. It did for me and mine was a very bad case.”

ErinW1996 July 2, 2017

Rozex (metronidazole): “When I first looked at the reviews for Rozex I was terrified because so many of them said it made their condition worse until someone reminded me that happy people don't usually write reviews. So I wanted to write a good one. I have acne rosacea so about 5 minutes after I would take a sip of red wine I would break out in huge bumps that last for weeks. I'm a 20yr old in Ireland, so obviously the idea of never drinking again was troubling, but so was the thought of having horrible acne after so many years of nice skin. I started rozex a few months ago and the effects came in semi-slowly (maybe a month or two) but now it works amazingly. I don't even worry about it anymore. I can go on a huge night out and wake up with great skin.”

Missy · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2021

Rozex (metronidazole): “I am using this gel presently but you have to be very patient. I am using it now for 5 days and I can see a slight improvement. I used this gel previously and it worked but it took about 6 weeks and it cleared it up. I have rosacea now for 10 years and I know from dealing with this that for me sugar and stress are two major contributors.”

ExpoAuthority February 29, 2012

MetroGel (metronidazole): “Many people don't seem to like Metrogel, but for me its really made a difference in my Rosacea. One thing rosacea sufferers have to realize is that this treatment takes time. I would have to say that it took a good 2.5 months to start seeing noticeable improvement with continued improvement the longer I use it. On a side note I would like to add that my ears would flush when triggered by heat or stress and so I started to use Metrogel on them and it has helped reduce the flushing. Overall pretty happy with results only negative aspect is the amount of time it takes for it to work.”

B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2020

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I was visiting my dermatologist for an unrelated problem and then asked for something to treat my acne. I can’t believe I am menopausal and still getting acne, I told him. (I am 56) I was shocked when he told me it was rosacea and prescribed Metrogel 1%. Within a week my acne was gone. I have been using it now for 9 months and it is still good.”

Allie · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

Rozex (metronidazole): “Saw an advert for this gel & decided to try it for my mild ( redness & flushing ) rosacea. This product has caused my skin to react in a horrible fashion. My nose has become red & swollen with enlarged pores. Not only this, but I am starting to develop little "warty" lumps on fleshy part of my nose & adjoining cheek areas. Have discontinued using the Rozex gel & using soothing moisturiser in the hope that it will settle down. Can anyone recommend another product that will not have the same side effects ?”

nw · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

“Nope nope nope. Metronidazole barely helps the bumps of rosaea and I can’t use it even once a week or it burns and really makes the redness worse. I think this cream actually permanently spread my rosacea somehow. Terrible & don’t know how this is still on the market.”

Hooha · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2020

Rozex (metronidazole): “Not impressed. After a week of use it has given me small white pimples, usually two new ones per day. This after spending hundreds of dollars on dermatologist appointments and other creams and was finally making way with my rosacea. I am discontinuing use and will try antibiotics instead.”

Mimi155 February 15, 2015

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I have found that Metrogel works wonders for me. It made a difference the first time I applied it! (Applied at night, woke up in the morning with noticeably clearer skin.) It is recommended to use it twice a day but I just apply it once, at night (because it causes a filmy layer over the skin and I wouldn't want to go out in public like that!) and that seems to be enough for me.”

Sootman June 22, 2015

MetroGel (metronidazole): “Have been diagnosed with Rosacea that I have had apparently for years, was not willing to seek medical advice and treatment due to money concerns. Two and 1/2 years since my last consulting with Dr. And all I can say is I am amazed at the results topically applied Metronidazole gel has given me. I am grateful for being able to shave my face without feeling like it was a blood sacrifice. Only one regret, why didn't I do it sooner. :) happier now”

Kyrosh · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

Rozex (metronidazole): “I have been using this gel for just over a month now for my Acne Rosacea. I only have it on one cheek with lots of bumps. After using it for about 2 weeks, I’ve started seeing a great difference! No more acne and the redness has reduced so much! My doctor said it would take about 2 months to see a proper change, but I’m already so happy with the result!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2012

MetroCream (metronidazole): “I have found Metrocream to be very effective in combating symptoms of rosacea, especially the pimple like lesions I get around my nose & chin area. I use only when needed and notice after just a couple of applications a dramatic improvement.”

CoopersDad · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

“I saw a new dermatologist for an unrelated condition. He walked in and after introducing himself asked how long I had had rosacea. Um, rosacea? My face is "ruddy" most of the time and I blush ALL the time, but I didn't know I had rosacea. "Yeah, see the little bumps on your cheeks? We can take of that, if you want," he said. He prescribed Metronidazole 0.75% Cream 2x daily and recommended using Head and Shoulders on my face in the shower daily. I did it, and within a week the redness, blushing, and tiny bumps were completely gone. The Metronidazole stung slightly when I first applied it, and my face felt dry. But after two days, it's painless and the dryness has gone away. Actually, the Metronidazole is my moisturizer regime :) I don't use a lot - just a few dabs on my cheeks and forehead. This stuff is a miracle for rosacea associated with tiny bumps on the face (which you might think are part of your natural skin - they are not).”

Marily August 20, 2014

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I had flushing rosacea for years before it was diagnosed. Then I spent years trying one medication after another to control it but due to side effects could not take them. About 2 years ago I was prescribed MetroGel. It has changed my life. The persistent flushing and burning are almost completely gone. I still wear sunscreen and a hat when outside but now I can read at night and watch TV with the lights on.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2016

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I am 63 and never had a skin condition... Ever. Heat, stress, lack of sleep all contributed to a redness to my face. Now it cracks and peels and swells. I started metronidazoleb and it clears up in two days. Put non oily lotion over the top and I can put makeup on. Yeah”

Maggie · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2020

“Wow I’m in the tropical heat and my rosacea was out off full blow redness itchy and small pumps. I got so desperate that I called my doctor he prescribed me metronidazole gel when I got I read the instructions - wash my face then place the gel on my face and they cooled me immediately immediately. Been on it now for two days and the difference is incredible I will never use any other products besides this gel It shocked me the GEL really works. In the past I was given the cream formula and it didn’t do for me what this Gel formula has. If you are itchy, red, and lil pus bumps. believe me it really works.”

Mel January 15, 2021

Rozex (metronidazole): “I never had a pimple in my life, I could literally put any cream on my face I'd be fine , I didn't need much make up either, my face was super clear and glowing until 2 years ago when for no reason I developed strange rash, burning and itching was terrible, I thought it might be some allergic reaction to cosmetics and after a hundreds of $ spent on different creams I finally went to a doctor and he diagnosed me with rosacea. He prescribed the cream not the gel. At first I was sceptic because I didn't know how will I menage not to use a daily moisturiser but then this cream works as moisturiser too I literally didn't need anything else. Two weeks after my face cleared up. Yes cream is expensive but you only need a tiny amount so it can literally last for months, it was so worth it. I'm still on it I'm due to stop using it in a month so I'll see how I go without it fingers crossed, at least I know now what it works. This cream was a saviour I strongly recommend it!”

Karen · Taken for 10 years or more February 12, 2020

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I also used to use .75% metrogel, it was so expensive, $200.00 for a tube.. I have insurance but I still had to pay over $50.00 for it. It didn't work that well as I would break out daily. I probably should have used it twice a day. But it was so expensive that I used it sparingly. My pharmacy suggested the 1% metrogel and I'm so happy with this product. It's $40.00 a bottle and has a convenient pump. I use it twice a day and my face hasn't broken out since I started using it. And my insurance pays the entire amount.”

Fighter Pilot July 9, 2016

MetroGel (metronidazole): “I have had chronic Rosacea for at least the past 30 or more years, but only on my nose, and I have treated it with MetroGel cream each morning after I shower. There have been no side effects, and it has controlled the Rosecea to the point where I have no redness or symptoms. As a retired Air Force officer and pilot on Medicare, and with acccess to military pharmacies and now TRICARE for Life, my costs are zero.”

Dooshi · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

MetroGel (metronidazole): “This product is my miracle. I visited many doctors for the bumps and redness on my face and no one was sure it is rosacea (symptoms are not quite identical to rosacea's symptoms). I used many creams...lotions...strong antibiotics...after all a doctor offered Metrogel and you won't believe it, from the very first application I can see dramatic change in my facial redness and bumps. These acne like bumps are almost disappeared which I hope will be gone even more...thanks to Metrogel I have no side effects so far and use this only at nights followed by a light moisturiser.”

Angie10,000 October 10, 2016

Rozex (metronidazole): “After only 1 week applying the gel on my nose and cheeks I have an upper respiratory problem, runny nose and feel horrible. One week. My cheeks burned and itched. I am a nurse and will NEVER use this gel again. My doctor's response was nil..so much for medical professionals understanding side affects of meds they prescribe. Runny nose, watery eyes, upper respiratory discomfort. This product is HORRIBLE. And, why must I accept the Drugs.com Terms and Conditions??”

Danni March 1, 2020

“I have always had acne since I was 12. I am on birth control to help clear acne, but I am used to getting cysts and pimples on my chin area only. But, recently I have been getting papules and bumps that I never had before then all of a sudden with this cold weather it turned to a rash around my cheeks and coming down to my skin, but not on my chin, and rash between my eyebrows and forehead. I was diagnosed with rosacea the kind with the bumps. I was prescribed metronidazole 0.75% cream twice a day and doxy 100mg twice a day. Sometimes I think I notice a difference and other times I don't. It has been 3 days already, but I do not see a huge difference. Hoping after reading the positive reviews that this med will work for me and give me some relief. Will update once I start seeing results!”

Redface4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

“Started using the metronidazole gel, but little bumps and redness had no change. My skin just got progressively drier. I stopped using it after 9 weeks and was supposed to have a follow up with my dermatologist that had to get moved back a month. Now my whole face burns and is peeling, my rosacea is at it’s all time worst.”

25 and sensitive · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2018

MetroCream (metronidazole): “I’ve been unfortunate enough to suffer from both perioral dermatitis and rosacea at 25. I have tried Soolantra, Plexion, Avar, and many other things in the past to control my rosacea. This is the only medication that has helped significantly with both in the last few months. Within a week, my skin texture was overall better. However, complete results did not come quickly. I’ve been using this cream for about two months now. While some bumps cleared, others has to come to surface first. This happened around week three I believe. This was pretty annoying but over time, my skin’s texture is much improved and the best part is I really DO NOT flare up at all anymore. I used to be so scared of having an alcoholic drink or consuming certain things. Even the stress of doing grad school made me flare! Not one new flare in months now. Amazing. I can’t wait until all my flare ups clear and my face is smooth again. I have confidence it will happen.”

Hairballz · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2015

“I suffered from rosacea for years, but as I went through menopause it seemed to decrease in frequency. However, when it did pop up it was more intense, so the last time I had an outbreak I finally broke down and asked my new doctor for something and he gave me MetroGel. I was a bit dismayed to read the label that it could take 3-6 weeks to be effective, but like several others here I literally saw results after the first application. I applied it at bedtime and was quite surprised the first night to find my face noticeably less inflamed the next morning, and smoother. I have used it several nights in a row now and my face seems to be healing from this latest outbreak much more quickly than I could ever have expected.”

Learn more about Rosacea