User Reviews for Toprol-XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Toprol-XL.

Toprol-XL Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 337 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Toprol-XL to treat High Blood Pressure

"I had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in March 17. I'm a 53 yo male. Always had higher heart rate and family history of high blood pressure. I could actually feel the TIA coming on over a few weeks, but I'm a tough guy. Several drugs tried and failed. Lisinipril damn near killed me with blood pressure of 175/133. Read a lot and switched to Toprol XL, no generic!!!! I take 50mg at night slow release. Feel great and few side effects. Pressures are good and heart rate is down. Sex still works and anxiety is cut in half. Good stuff. Takes a 1-2 week adjustment period. Relax and let it work."

Deano12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried the generic version (extended release) after using brand name Toprol XL. The generic did not work well for me. After a few days it felt like I hadn't taken the medicine. Toprol XL works great, and when i swapped back to the original I felt great again. There must be some difference in the release between the two. This med brings the BP into 120's over low to mid 70's range where I was reg 140's/90's. It also helps bpm from mid 90's down to upper 70's."

ChristophA September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow!!!!! I have not been feeling well for a long time. Until Toprol lx 25mg. My head is clear. I can think straight. I dont have any anxiety. My work performance is at it greatest level. Even my sexual drive is back. I get up rested in the morning and fell no fatigue. I dont know about anyone else but I'm glad to take this medication."

Travis s. December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 19 year old healthy female, 5'2 138 pounds, however I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was having readings as high as 165/106. My doctor prescribed me this, 25MG once before I go to bed every night. I was on this for about two weeks before I started noticing a lot of hair falling out. Thank God she took me off before it got too noticeable, but other than this side affect I feel it was a pretty decent medication, it definitely lowered my blood pressure."

Kayla Nevins (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good product few minor side effects."

Nonoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lowered blood pressure to acceptable level but a major side effect developed with extreme fatigue and muscle pain. These were painful enough that ability to work and perform normal life tasks were difficult."

bigcarmine (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A health care professional and a person who takes this medication ."

Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again."

kaelem January 20, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild)."

JJ Seaton (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake."

rough & ready (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works."

Anonymous March 24, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this medicine in 2006. It works to take the pressure off my heart but it has caused me arthritis in my knees, hands and feet. Now I am in pain most of the time. My hands have developed arthritis in both thumbs, my feet have it in my toes. I tried another Astra Zeneca product called Atacand and it works better but is so expensive I can't afford to buy it."

Anonymous October 23, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I started Toprol XL I had migraines everyday for a year I had no idea that I had high blood pressure and it wasn't really high it was borderline. Anyway I started taking the Toprol and my migraines decreased and the palpitations seemed to stop after about a month. I ended up only taking Toprol for 8 months and I had no more migraines or palpitations and of course my blood pressure was under control. It stayed that way for about a year and a half until I became pregnant and that seemed to trigger it all back. But I did the same thing and am fine now and I never experienced any side effects."

Anonymous January 13, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it 2 times and it gave me chest pain, nervousness and could not sleep. Stopped taking it."

Anonymous September 9, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Male, 55, been on Inderal for close to 30 years. Switched to Toprol. Had to return to Inderal because of increased arrhythmias."

gzlnq9 August 27, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 25mg a day about 2 1/12 years ago during a routine visit when I had a blood pressure of 150/90. Since that time my BP has stayed around 115-125/60 something/low 70s. My resting heart rate varies from high 40s to low 60s/min. I also started swimming laps which is off and on again. The medicine seems to work well for me without any noticeable side effects at all. Both my mom and dad had high blood pressure. I'm now in my mid fifties so I guess it's my turn now."

anonymous777 June 15, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not liked this medication at all. I was taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide, which worked great to reduce and maintain my blood pressure, but a side effect was frequent urination, and as a teacher, that was a slight nuisance. However, with generic Toprol, I have not gotten a decent night's sleep, and my blood pressure went higher (although I halved the 25 mg pill due to the side effects). I also feel anxious and unsettled. "

Anonymous January 2, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had many problems (one being that it took me a lot of time for my body to get used to it) with this product. The worst side effect has been the onset of diabetes which this product is responsible for. The question I had of my cardiologist is why in the world would he prescribe it to a high risk candidate like me -- I am Hispanic, in my 50s when it was prescribed. I informed my PA of this after my last crisis and she is looking into prescribing a different product (one given at the hospital) but this after a few years on Toprol. I figure that without the change from this medicine I don't stand a chance of reversing my diabetic condition."

Anonymous November 18, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Metoprolol 25mg once a day for 13 days. It has lowered my heart rate by about 30 beats a minute but I am always tired, get chest pain, headache and numbness. Little to no benefit in lowering my blood pressure (140/95's)."

Rik T April 5, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a real good medicine. It controls my blood pressure and I like the way it works."

honey.. February 2, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Toprol-XL eliminated peiords of rapid heartbeat that began mostly in the evening, at age 36. Also reduced blood pressure along with other medicines (with lotrel 10/40 in my case). I've had no noticeable side effects except for occasional sleeplessness / awaking anxious at night."

Anonymous October 27, 2008

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Slows heart rate-for the better."

Anonymous September 4, 2008

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Toprol for about 7 years now, 50mg once a day. During a recent health fair at work, my blood pressure was really high. Made an appoinment with the Doctor that day to re-evaluate and was found to be running a little high, 145/94. Doctor added an additional 50mg a day. "

P.S. in T.O. July 4, 2008

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Toprol XL for about 2 years. My doctor has now put me on 200mg twice a day, total 400mg a day, this had to be approve by my insurance company and it was. This is working for me, no side effects and my blood pressure is steady at 114/70."

Anonymous June 17, 2008

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Toprol XL for 10 years. I began with 50 mg per day, and am now at 200 mg per day. Unlike another report posted here, I am sleeping better while taking the medication. The only two side effects I've experienced are shakiness and nervousness when I miss a dose by even a few hours and vague aural hallucinations (hearing things) while on the verge of falling asleep. I've seen the hallucinations reported by other toprol users on other sites."

Anonymous March 27, 2008