User Reviews for Metformin

6.5

Summary of Metformin reviews 7.1 446 reviews

Reviews for Metformin

Katie J June 25, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Only been on Metformin for a month for PCOS. I've tried to take it a few times in the past but felt too sick to continue. But this time they prescribed extended release tabs which have been much better. My cycle has already seemed to be getting back in track. My appetite has lessened as well, which is a nice side benefit. Been trying to get pregnant for 4 1/2 years. I don't expect a lot but you never know!"

AEGS June 20, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I've had PCOS since I was 17. Now I'm 32 and I've been on metformin for 3 months. I get really bad stomach aches and cramps to the point that i feel like I'm going to be ill. I also get heart burn almost every day and bad diarrhea several times a day. The side effects never seem to improve. I'm on about 1000mg to 1500mg a day. I don"t get my periods at all. Been prescribed clomid to ovulate but haven't started yet as I'm a bit nervous."

Liz · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Been taking Metformin 750 extended once a day ! Diet exercise for 6 months by now My a1c was 13 now is 6 ! With supervision of my Dr and keeping strict life time changes this drop was possible ! Side effects sometimes creates Gas ! I feel tired but I try my best to stick to my exercise program some back discomfort! Mentally I want to eventually not take the medication anymore but I am not a dr I need to wait for her directions ! People need to check their blood sugars levels daily so they know if treatments are working ! Most important research what you put in your mouth when it comes to your diet it makes all the difference !!!!"

Kenny June 13, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20 years old. I am now 23. My periods have been non existent ever since I hit puberty. The only time I have a period is if I am on birth control. I really got sick of being on birth control and my hormones being so on and off. I got prescribed Metformin about 8 months ago. I never took it when first prescribed because I was so afraid of all of side effects everyone has experienced. Well, I finally decided to take Metformin because I really want a regular cycle. I am not trying to conceive. I just want my body to be normal. And let me say I have no got no side effects what so ever. Everyone reacts differently to medication, so don't let it discourage you. I have not had a real period in two years. I have been taking Metformin 500 mg a week to this exact day and my period has come. I am very happy with this."

Powpowross · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 2, 2019

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was taking Glucopgage for a number of years and the only side effects was diarrhea at least 1 to 2 times daily. It kept my blood sugar in the low 100’s. I finally lost about 60lbs and I no longer have diabetes even though my grandmother and mother had type 2 on insulin and my brother now has it."

Kate May 31, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Went to the ER on 5/22/19 for what I thought was a UTI . Come to find out I had sugar in my urine so they did a blood test and determined I was diabetic. ER doctor put me on Metformin twice a day 500mg each . This medicine is awful!!!!!!!!!! Horrible side effects major diarrhea Even the water I drink would come out couldn’t keep anything down very bad stomach pain and severe night sweats !!!!! To the point where I couldn’t even function did not want to move off the couch in pain. I would rather deal with whatever is going on then to take this medicine. This will be on the never ever again list."

McCdonalds shame · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "So the side effects of metformin. I was at a birthday party with a bunch of friends a few months ago and I had to poop so bad. Like a bad one. And someone was in the bathroom so I left my boyfriend at the party and went to McDonalds next door. Didn't tell my boyfriend I was leaving. I left my phone at the party because I was in such a rush. The 3 guys outside the bathroom definitely heard what I did. They laughed at me. My boyfriend panicked and everyone at the party wanted to know where I went It was an awful time I never want to go back. Metformin gives me the runs, but it helps regulate my periods. Takes away the awful feeling I get emotionally and physically during my period, and helps a lot with weight management. Just make sure you eat right on it so you don't get shamed at McDonalds."

Tan · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking this medicine after trying to conceive for over a year, my DD (darling daughter) is a year and 8months now. April 19th I went to the hospital over my concerns of being unable to get pregnant and did a transvaginal ultrasound. Doctor said my follicles are not mature so my eggs were just like a pearl necklace all the same size on a line and I had just finished my period 4 days prior, there was supposed to be a dominant one so all this had me devastated. He put me on 1000mg of metformin twice a day which I took but wasn't regular with. It made me feel like vomiting, I felt extremely sick that I thought I had cancer (God forbid). Today, 20th May, I hadn't seen my period which was supposed to be due 2 weeks ago so I decided to do a pregnancy test and boom the big positive! I'm grateful to God I only took this for 2 weeks (unreligiously) and discontinued cos of the way I felt ."

RK · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I’ve tried every dose of metformin and it all caused horrible side effects for me (nausea, sometimes vomiting , diarrhea , flatulence ,etc... ) I’m now on metformin 500XR once daily for two weeks and it’s like magic ! No side effects ! "

NO RX'S · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I had a heart attack and once they checked me over completely I was prescribed 1000mg of metformin twice a day. I was also told to exercise - how does one exercise and enjoy life while strapped to a toilet all day long! The metformin side effects are diarrhea, gas, stomach pains and my Doctor just says those are the side effects there is not much he can do!!!!!!."

Anonymous May 14, 2019

For Female Infertility: "Starting taking metformin for try and get pregnant and have been on it about 2 weeks. I am having some side effects but my main concern is my period came and it’s heavy and staying longer than normal, hopefully it gets better"

Jonwpb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was newly diagnosed with DM2 (diabetes melllitus type 2) in February this year. Been taking Metformin since then. I have daily nausea and no appetite. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It has dropped my A1C from 10.9 to 7.1 in first month. I have also lost 30+ lbs from 265lb. I am going to try taking the med at evening meal, eating half of meal, take med then finish eating. I am on 2000 mgs daily. Overall, it works but the side effects suck."

Jabrig · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I started with one a day and after 2 weeks my doctor had me take two pills a day with my evening meals to avoid stomach related side effects. I found that if i skip a day the next night I usually have bad cramps after taking metformin. So I will say take with a meal and don't skip doses. I do get occasional stomach cramps, but over all I'm pleased. Since beginning Metformin 9 months ago I've lost 30lbs and I feel great. I would recommend this drug for type 2 diabetes, or pre-diabetic."

Tin · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been on metformin for 19 days and so far I've lost weight -7 lbs and no side effects for me!"

Mer April 28, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I am on Basaglar, victoza, farxiga, glimepiride. With all that my A1C was 13.8. Dr. Put me on metformin 500mg twice a day. I started and was nauseous, I told my dr and he said "that's how you lose weight" and upped it to 1000mg twice a day. It has lowered my A1C to a 9.4 still high but it is slowly coming down. Started having gastrointestinal issues along with headache, nausea and vomiting, eye problems. I am on another medication for another problem and the side effects are the same as metformin. So I'm not sure at the moment which if not both are causing my problems."

Hammertime · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "First off, after reading several reviews about the need to eat right before taking this med, I’ve done just that and avoided stomach issues like diarrhea. I only get a little nausea when I go up in dose every couple of weeks. I’m taking Metformin (not the extended release) for PCOS and Insulin Resistance, and it’s already helped me to lose weight just three weeks in! I don’t crave sugar and my appetite is lessened. Also, for the PCOS symptoms like acne and irregular periods, I seem to be benefiting greatly from the Metformin! The acne has really calmed down and my cycle was actually normal this month."

Marilyn · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "At first all went well with metformin. The 2nd week I was told to take 2 tablets and that is when the severe stomach pain & nausea began. After putting up with that for several days, I went to the ER. I had pre-pancreatitis. I wouldn't take this or any med with metformin as an ingredient."

Roxanne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 13, 2019

Riomet (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Riomet works well - I just couldn’t get past the taste!"

Rufus · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Originally started taking Metformin 500 mg full strength. I suffered from diarrhea. Told doctor she prescribed Metformin 500 mg EXTENDED-RELEASE doses. Worked perfectly been taking them for years and extremely satisfied with results."

The king · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been on metformin for years with no side effects it lowers blood sugar s at a good level"

Berq · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2019

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Been on metformin for a month. Only first two days had a bad headache. When I started taking it I was 102kg heavy. Now I'm 94kg. But I mean when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance I quit alcohol, sugar and lactose. Started working out more. My endocrinologist told me to also take vitamin D and vitamin B12 so I guess that also helped. I have literally no side effects. I haven't felt happier and healthier in my life."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "So far no side affects"

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin was horrible for me. I was on it for over 6 months and had severe stomach problems/diarrhea the whole time. It never even helped to lower my AIC. I had to finally tell my doctor ENOUGH and moved on to an injection."

Julz · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "***TAKE WITH FOOD IF YOU HAVE DIARRHEA **** !!!!!! At first this medication gave me such terrible diarrhea and other stomach pains, but then my nurse practitioner told me try it with a meal and omg its like I don't feel sick anymore!! Also try to take it with your biggest meal! I've been on it for about 2 months and a half & with a little diet and excerscise I've lost 15lbs !! I'm 5’3 started at 218 now 203 !"

lucky8 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Gave me very bad stomach issues, caused me to develop a heart problem, and I stayed in bed the entire year and a half that I was on it. Metformin is a horrible drug that should not be on the market at all. Made me very weak, tired, caused dehydration due to not being able to keep anything at all in my system. After taking it, I developed IBS and other issues aside from CHF."