User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 101 reviews 135 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 273 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi have been reading all the stories. I have PCOS got told at 19 as i would miss a period for like 3months. So back then didnt really care or worry fast forward 6years and me and my partner are still trying to fall pregnant "

Danz02 July 11, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "9 days of Metformin have been horrible. So I quit. 250mg caused major mood swings. Like I have been in a bubble. Hips and legs ache so bad. Explosive diarrhea and MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!"

PCOS for years (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been diagnosed PCOS not so long ago. I'm 20 yrs old. My doctor put me on metformin. She said to take it for 1-2 weeks 1000mg a day. I felt very fine! Then she said to increase it to 1000mg twice a day. This is my second day taking 4 pills a day. And I feel horrible stomach pain, nausea horrible!!! Maybe it's because I don't have a decent meal with my pills. Will that affect it at all? Can someone help?!"

TelmaB (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "For Mommy of PCOS, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 and have been taking birth control to control most of the side effects since then. I switched doctors and my new doctor recently put me on metformin slow release (which helps a lot with the ugly GI side effects) and spironolactone, which is an anti-testosterone type of drug that works with birth control to control acne and hirsutism (excessive hair growth). Spironolactone and birth control have to be taken together, specially for PCOS because they work better and because spironolactone can cause birth defects, if your daughter where to get pregnant in the future. Metformin has worked great for me and I have been noticing my weight going down, after many years not being able to lose weight."

Abd2890 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have always had issues with irregular periods since my first period at 17 years old. I summed it up to my body just being complicated. When I turned 25 my periods started getting farther and farther apart. I'd have a 25 day cycle and then he next would be 90 days. I ended up in the ER with two ruptured cysts and one the size of a baseball. After years of feeling tired all the time and strange hairs on my breasts and random places I was finally diagnosed with PCOS. I had also been trying to conceive for one year. My doctor started me on metformin 500mg once a day. Just 3 weeks later I conceived and 9 days after that I had a positive pregnancy test. After a entire year of trying!!! I feel so much better on this medicine."

Heather1989 June 28, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I had my 14 year old daughter tested for PCOS because she had extra hair growth on her face and even though she was a very active girl, she never lost any weight. Only one hormone level came back slightly elevated, but her pediatrician still referred her to an endocrinologist. They ordered an ultrasound and sure enough, she was diagnosed with PCOS. She now takes Metformin 500mg twice daily and has lost 14 lbs since December. She hasn't suffered any side effects, thank God, but the hair growth continues. According to her doctor birth control pills will help with the hair growth, but I remain reluctant due to their side effects. We tried laser hair removal, but it's really pricey and has not helped. Any suggestions???"

Mommy of PCOS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I'm 25. I havnt had a regular menstrual cycle in years. After TTC for going on 5 years me, and my husband decided to take the next step in seeing a fertility dr. I was diagnosed with pcos. I took provera for 10 days to induce my period, and once it started on cd 5 I was put on metformin 500 mg for 3 weeks. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon. I've had side affects like stomach cramps, and diarrhea (sorry tmi) mood swings, a little decrease in appetite (no weight loss). I'm now on my last day of taking this, and I'm not sure if it has helped. Hoping for the best. Goodluck to the rest of you ladies that are TTC."

O.p.w June 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Started taking metformin 500mg 3 times daily, day 3 and no horrible side effects thank God. Have started my first round of icsi and metformin was a must. I hope I dont have any side effects because I've heard so many great reviews once this medicine starts working!! I hope I have a positive outcome and weight loss wud b an advantage after I have my first miracle "

Nikkig29 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi I'm 36yrs old ,never missed a period in my life since 13. Have an 8yr old child . One miscarriage and not able to conceive. Hav. Hypothyroidism since 2012. Steady weight gain , thinning hair ,excessive hair on face(now dat i notice). N my doctor says I'm likely to have pcos . put on metformin xr once a day. Taking since 15days . Bad cramps ,diarrhoea like never before. I stopped taking the medicine. But now I have aversion towards greasy food do not feel depressed n feel energetic so decided to continue. And yes I have lost 2kilos.looking forward to conceiving."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on this medication a mere 4 days. I have gained 7 pounds in that time. l also feel extremely bloated. I also had an upset stomach for the first two days. I am getting off of it immediately!! I must be on of the lucky ones it is not working well for me at all."

details May 26, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have taken combo Metformin-glyburide and had large stools, with Metformin-glypizide have some problem with the "consistency" of long stools (hard to get and stay clean); otherwise, a miracle drug in glucose level control and muscle tone & weight control."

Horseshoe7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "It has not lowered my A1C. My glucose levels stay in the 120-140 range. I have had increased sweats, and i am 66 yrs. old, increased hunger and weight gain, nervousness."

Bev T (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been taking metformin for only a week. But that being said I have noticed straight away the changes that it has made. I have had pcos since I was 19 I am now 27 I have never had any medication for my PCOS. I had gone to my doctors as I was stressed about the fact I had not had my period in over 4 months. As I have ben quite regular considering here and there a few misses etc. At the start of taking the medication I was quite sick but that lasted two days I have decreased in appetite and my period actually came! so so far so good. Soon I will be on a higher dose as I am currently on one tablet! fingers crossed it keeps working! I know its only one week in but to be already getting good results I just had to share."

liv271989 May 6, 2016

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I started metformin April 28, 2016. The first two weeks I was taking 1000 mg each morning after Breakfast. My doctor then added an additional 1000 mg each morning on the third week. I experienced very mild nausea and stomach upset, going into the fifth week I started having this weird thing to happen...as I took steps in walking I would get this quick catch pain on the inside of my upper thigh to the right of my pubic where the leg connects...and I would be afraid to take long strides. I did lose 9 pounds in thirty days. I'm not craving too many sweets as my appetite has diminished."

Michelle714 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Sugar still 170 ish , Taking 250mg 2x /day with food and plenty of water , was supposed to exercise also but can't due to stomach pain very bad, achey joint , blurred vision and did i mention stomach pain very bad. If Dr don't call me back today , Im off this crap . I feel worse now than I did 2 weeks ago. Several times worse."

FootMan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug can kill you. One of the worst reactions to a medication that I've ever experienced. Last Saturday, I could hardly walk out of a store as the muscle contractions grew worse and the pressure in my chest increased. And ER visit followed and a week later, I am still weak. It did not get out of my system in 24, 48 nor 72 hours. Watch this drug closely when you are given it for treatment, especially if you have already had physical symptoms that are similar to some of its side effects. And yes, I had the diarrhea, the spasms which ran up into my torso and the nausea but I tried working through it all. I could barely lift my arms last Saturday and I was in pain from my feet to the top of my head. There was no comfortable place"

ChapKat (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I took metformin and after one month I was pregnant with b/g twins. No twins in my family or my partners. I met a woman the other day who was pregnant with fraternal twins after taking met for pcos."

Jayne86 April 12, 2016

Glucophage XR (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Blood glucose and HbA1C were normal. LDL cholesterol and triglycerides were low HDL cholesterol increased. There was weight loss with metformin."

arnsussek (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My mother is on this drug and it has done wonders for her. Her insulin is controlled and she has lost a significant amount of weight on it. She is so happy and feels amazing on it. No negative side effects. Thank you makers of metformin. The doctor who prescribed it was so knowledgeable and he really helped my mom adjust and overcome the diagnosis."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "diarrhea so bad I lost control at work 3 times and had to go home. never again I don't care if I die from diabetes."

sandyjz April 7, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I love all the reviews here. Love seeing how open women are to discussing such a personal issue. So here's my story, I never had regular periods, maybe 2-3x times a year. I got married at the age of 24 and after a year or two of trying I went to a doctor and she said it may be pcos. Never really went back to that doctor(wasn't crazy about her). At the age of 28, I said enough is enough, headed to a fertility clinic where they definitely said I had pcos. They started me on metformin as well as Ovasitol (a supplement for women with pcos...it's pretty new, however ladies these 2 together....MIRACLE!!!!) after just 5 months on these 2 drugs and one round of femara(a pill you take for 3-5 days that help with ovulation) I was pregnant. good luck!"

Reyes7786 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos a few weeks ago after never having regular periods. I was put on provera to make me bleed 3 weeks later and still no bleeding.With metformin I haven't had any side effects and haven't lost any weigh and still no pregnancy. feeling very down about this I'm only 22. "

CHELSKII (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 13, I haven't had a natural period in YEARS. 5 days ago,I started Metformin 500mg a day, and today "Aunt Flo" came to town, not only that but I only down 5lbs in 5days and I feel pretty amazing right now. It has been a GREAT week!!"

Arries March 26, 2016

For Female Infertility: "Tried ivf 4 times to no avail. Took this the fifth time and it worked! I was never diagnosed with pcos.Don't think I have it. Don't know why metformin worked but it is awesome. Makes me feel full and gives me diarrhea but whatever."

Jr916 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Well 8 months later still on metformin I've lost a total of 20pds and for the first time I received my period on its own I'm currently not taking any birth control pills I'm so happy so maybe I'll be reporting a baby next time I've gotta my a1c down to 5.9 I'm taking 2000ml of metformin"

toy2012 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2016