User Reviews for Metformin systemic

Diabetes, Type 2
6.4

Summary of Metformin reviews 7.1 423 reviews

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "***TAKE WITH FOOD IF YOU HAVE DIARRHEA **** !!!!!! At first this medication gave me such terrible diarrhea and other stomach pains, but then my nurse practitioner told me try it with a meal and omg its like I don't feel sick anymore!! Also try to take it with your biggest meal! I've been on it for about 2 months and a half & with a little diet and excerscise I've lost 15lbs !! I'm 5’3 started at 218 now 203 !"

Julz (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Gave me very bad stomach issues, caused me to develop a heart problem, and I stayed in bed the entire year and a half that I was on it. Metformin is a horrible drug that should not be on the market at all. Made me very weak, tired, caused dehydration due to not being able to keep anything at all in my system. After taking it, I developed IBS and other issues aside from CHF."

lucky8 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "My PCP prescribed this after I've had fluctuations in my A1C for a couple of years, despite diet changes & weight loss. It definitely has decreased my appetite & helped me lose a few pounds. Some issues I have with it are increased fatigue (I already have CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome), so didn't need this), diarrhea (I already have mixed type IBS, sooo...) & increased muscle pain (I already have fibromyalgia, etc, so didn't need this either) . I'm going to try to stick with it, but, not sure for how much longer."

Jillyn31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This is the worst medicine I have ever taken. I would rather have high blood sugar than take this medicine. It makes me so sick to my stomach and just always having stomach pain. I am switching over to insulin because at least insulin won’t make my stomach miserable, even if it means taking shots every day."

Foxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 25 (6 months ago) after having been a year and a half trying to get pregnant and it not happening. I got on metformin and the side effects are very strong. I had to take 2 pills a day of 500mg each. I was 131 lbs. Now I am 114lbs which is really light. My menstruation does not come by itself in any way then my doctor gives me progesterone to induce it. And then I get clomid to induce ovulation. 6 months have passed and my period is not so painful anymore but I'm still here struggling with PCOS and metformin side effects and not pregnancy :("

Daliza (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug gave me terrible stomach cramps that would start 3 hour after each dose followed by water diarrhea for hours! I searched for answers and suggestions and found one to be my saving grace! Eat half your meal take your pill and then finish your second half of meal. This equals no more stomach cramps and no diarrhea!!!!!"

Kelly (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin makes me very sick with diarrhea. Can't get more than 50 feet from a bathroom on this. Terrible."

steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I had multiple issues with metformin. While I did lose 30 lbs in just a couple of months I had diarrhea nearly every day. I never “got use” to it or had the effect subside. I also have always had very very thick hair and I lost 40% of my hair. I realized my hair loss started a month or so after being on metformin. I mentioned it to my doctor and he disagrees with me and said my conditions cause hair loss. While I understand hypothyroid and pcos cause hair loss I never had hair loss until I took this medicine. I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 24 and hypothyroid the following year. I'm 38 now so Im not buying that it didn't cause it. Having diarrhea every day for over a year is not good for your health. You can't be absorbing any nutrients and Id never been vitamin d deficient either prior to taking metformin. I stopped taking it 6 months ago and take supplements myinositol and berberine instead."

Belle97 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 27, 2018

Glucophage XR (metformin) for : "Diagnosed with PCOS at 30 years old after years or struggling with irregular periods. I was constantly exhausted and sick feeling. My family doctor ran test after test and had zero results for me. Food would make me sick and I felt terrible all the time. Finally I went to a gyno instead of my family doctor and had answers within a month! PCOS with insulin resistance. I am on week 2 of Metformin Extended release 1500 mg a day. Day 1 I felt a little sick to my stomach but after the first afternoon I felt AMAZING!! I fell better than I have felt in years. I have so much energy all day and my muscles aren't fatigued like they used to be. I hope it keeps up!"

RyRy (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was prescribed Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Just newly diagnosed with the condition. At this point, I have only been on the medication for a little less than 4 weeks. I have a scheduled appointment at three months for follow-up blood test to check its effectiveness at lowering blood sugar. I am combining this medication with a more plant based, low fat diet coupled with regular exercise. I will update my review when I do have my follow up check and report blood test results. But, I thought I would go ahead and write a review now to report side effects: The side effects for me are negligible. Almost ZERO. Very, very slight digestive change, absolutely nothing severe as other people have reported to have suffered."

Catalonia (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2018

For Female Infertility: "My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 17 months. As directed by my doctor I have been taking metformin for 1 week, 500mg. Today I took the second 500mg. I have not lost any weight, no side effects at all. I will be starting Clomid on Saturday for the first time, I’m hoping the combination will bring on our BFP (big fat positive pregnancy test)!"

Irish (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Put on metformin 2012 when I weighed 281lbs, and obese. Told had T2 diabetes & prescribed 500mg tablet twice a day. Lowered my A1C. Lost 31 lbs couple years later, dose dropped to (1) 500mg tablet and did very well on this dose for several years keeping my A1C around 6.1 - 6.4 - In May/2018 rushed to ER in AFIB at 245 lbs, 59 years old. Ejection Fraction at 21% in bad shape. 5 days in critical care unit. Released heart medications & told to lose much weight. Slowly started exercise up to hour per day. Suffered severe side effect lactic acidosis thinking had a heart attack 9/18. Underwent another heart CAT for nothing at 210lbs, having lost 35 lbs since May/2018, I had overdosed on the Metformin 500mg I was taking. My fault not checking BS daily!!!. If you use it, be careful, check blood sugar daily should you change your diet, exercise, and weight. Blood Sugar now within normal ranges without metformin."

Tony (taken for 10 years or more) September 23, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been on Met for about 3 months now. Havent had any side effects nor any weight loss. I am no sure if I should continue as I feel its pointless for me."

chin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Dr said I was pre diabetic and prescribed Metformin 500 once per day. I take at night and the next morning I have severe uncontrollable diarrhea. I'm 50 male and had sudden cardiac arrest with no heartrate for over 40 minutes, only CPR. While in ICU unresponsive for 19 days, they now believe I also had a stroke. The metformin causes diarrhea so forceful, if not near a toilet, well I'm embarrassed to say, I end up with a stinky mess. I'm not taking this stuff anymore."

Tigerkc (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Works well, keeps blood sugar within acceptable levels. I take 500mg twice daily."

Grumpy4090 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking metformin for several several years too. And yes like many other people have said it did give me diarrhea too, night sweats, and tiredness all the time. No energy, and who only knows what else."

DD August 29, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started recently and it has been nothing but painful. Diarrhea every morning and after lunch. I’m trying to be hopeful and give this more time because I plan to be able to get pregnant soon, but I can’t without this medicine due to PCOS. The side effects are bad for me personally, but I know they’ve helped others"

Kaitlyn (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am been on metformin for just over 8 weeks now for PCOS - I asked my doctor for this medication to stablize my weight, I am 5.3 and nearly 11 stone, and no matter what diet I tried or how much exercise I did I would loose nothing. Since being on metformin I have had two periods on the exact same time of the month! This has never ever happened before, I could go months without having one. I have also lost a few pounds from my stomach - something many people with PCOS suffer with. And even lost some volume from double DD back breaker breasts! Hallelujah! I did have an upset stomach for a few days but I learnt if I take my 500mg after I eat my main evening meal I am fine. So far this pill has been a blessing!"

clg (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Been using Metformin for 20 years no side effects keeps my sugar down I take two in the morning 500 mg and two at night"

Tvsteve (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been taking Metformin for 3 days now due to irregular mentrual cycles. I went a year without a cycle my OBGN prescribed it to me for weight loss and so that my cycles can return to normal. The first day it gave me a bad taste and stomach pain but I am not having those problems any more and I have already lost a couple pounds current weight was 165lb today I am 163lb."

Brooke (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have T2 diabetes. So take metformin 500mg twice a day. It does make me go to the restroom more often but no diarrhea as such. Before this med I only went about once a week. I've also lost weight. Blood sugar is also coming down. I eat healthier now too. No complaints so far."

Texas Granny (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been on Metformin for about 15 yrs. Now my blood sugars & A1C getting higher. Makes me feel hungry and I've gained weight."

panda July 3, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin gives you diarrhea It makes you have hemorrhoids . I have to go on good diet plan. But it helps your diabetes. My body just going through a lot of changes."

TT June 29, 2018

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Side effects are stomach pains, queasiness, cold sweats and nightmares."

Spud (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "While on this medication, I'm not confident it did much for my PCOS, however, I never had an appetite and it helped my constipation! 10/10 great unintentional weight loss pill."

Dreamy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2018