User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility

Diabetes, Type 2
6.5

Summary of Metformin reviews 7.5 386 reviews

Reviews for Metformin

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking metformin 500mg twice daily this June and had hell of symptoms like diarrhoea, stomach ache, dizziness, weakness etc. But the condition improved within a month of use. Never felt so energetic and cheerful. 6 months on and have increased to 1500mg per day. Request the users not to discontinue without feeling the positive effects."

Jags.chd (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Took metformin when I was first diagnosed back in 2011, it worked fine at first. Since 2012 I've noticed increased hair breakage and loss. Finally this year I stopped taking it. Like I said it was great in the beginning but in the end I'm dealing with bald patches and trying to get my hair to grow back."

Harlemlaw November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Doctors should take this medicine before prescribing it. Took 2000mg for 2 two weeks with no help with my diabetes numbers. It made me depressed after 6 days, I have never felt like this ever in my life. I burned all my digestive system, hurt my stomach , my esophagus and colon, felt nauseous. Could only go to restroom once a day, I used to go at least 3 times a day. From day 3 and on, I had a nagging headache, not too painful but annoying. About the third day, my mouth started tasting like sewer, nasty taste."

Martrob111 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Terrible medication in my experience. It helped very little with a1c and blood sugar control. I did not have any day to day side effects from this medication however I continuously suffered from high lactic acid levels which created severe pains all over my body which was just too much to take. I have switched to another oral medication and seeing the results that I have been searching for. As far as this medication- never again. I started it for Polycystic ovarian syndrome; later used for type 2 diabetes ."

Jessmarie7130 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking metforman for several months and it has helped immensely. The only problems I have are with the smell and taste. Both are awful!"

Northern NY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I began Metformin 2 years ago, dosage of 1000 mg daily at dinner. Initial issues with loose bowels, gas, resolved with in 4-6 weeks. Seemed to help reduce blood sugar, but room for improvement so after 6 months, increased to 1500 mg. Six months later, at check up, I complained of chronic bilateral leg pain. Dr ordered blood work. No problems there. Prescribed anti inflammatory diet, increased Metformin to 2000 mg. Leg pain got worse, especially in the morning after exercising (weight training, mostly.) Most excruciating morning, after celebration, with an increase in alcohol intake. Really affecting ADL’s.Stumbled upon info about Metformin, alcohol, lactic acidosis, muscle pain. Doctor’s nurse didn’t ask questions when I asked about dosage. I stopped taking. PAIN GONE W/I WEEK."

Alre (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "side effects are horrible"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My estranged husband was sent to the ER twice 5 days ago, 1st time they sent him home after 3 hrs., then his friend brought him back at 3am the next night, as his friend thought he looked so bad! He got sick on a Sun and got progressively worse over the next few days. Awful nausea couldn't eat was so weak he could not get up. They did all sorts of tests and his ER doc said it wasn't metformin as his blood work didn't show lactic acidosis. But after reading reviews from other people who had similar effects, I am convinced the metformin is to blame."

Wifely September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have side effects from most brands of genetic metformin because they use cheap fillers. Real Glucophage is my only option. Why is it so expensive? My insurance won't cover it. But I have no side effects. Guess it's worth it."

TerieV (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I been taking metformin for five years I would have little stomachache but I wasn't bad, it's would control my diabetes but I had to stop taking metformin because I started having upper G.I problem & sweating really badly. I been off of metformin for almost two years."

Gaj10 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been taking metformin for years but I'm finding that different generics not only are less affected but give me more acid and G.I. problems. Teva was good but they stop making it. Sun pharmacuticals/ Cacarowas also good at contolling BG. WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS but I find the pharmacies are carrying cheaper generics particularly with the Medicare drug plan insurance. I'm finding that my blood sugar is not as well controlled and I'm having more problems with nausea and cramping though no diarrhea. I may have to switch to something else I'll see what the next A1 C is like"

MollyMet (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Excellent control but caused me lactic acidosis"

Cherry mohammed August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hey OP sorry I didn't read through the thread so not sure if anyone mentioned this but I used to take regular metformin 500mg 2x per day but like you I would be on and off cause it literally made me so sick and tired. But recently my new doctor recommended metformin extended release. I swear it's been a life changer for me. I take 500 mg per day and I've been losing weight and it doesn't make me feel sick at all! I've also been taking biotin simultaneously which has increased my overall mood and energy, not to mention my hair and nails have been growing too!"

Helman (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I've been on Metformin off and on for years. I had no idea it was supposed to help with weight. Honestly, when I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 my doctor made it sound like I just needed to lose weight and it would go away. I was also 21 and had no idea how to advocate for myself. When I walked out of the Dr.s office I thought I was informed on everything I needed to know. So as I'm reading these posts I'm shocked! I've been sitting at 220lb for years. I do Crossfit, I eat well and my job is very active. I naively got off of Metformin because of the nausea and bowel discomfort I was experiencing. I've never given it more than a month. I started taking it again 3 days ago. 850mg twice a day. I'm encouraged and hope to see some changes"

smayruss August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been on metformin for 6 months at 500mg and I've only lost 7 pounds. First off, I'm 5'9 and 152 pounds. I started at 159 pounds. My goal is to get to 140lb and get pregnant considering that's what my doctor suggested. I have tried everything to loose weight, I literally ate lettuce and excercised like crazy prior to trying metformin, nothing worked. I even looked at liposuction. I didn't have any diarrhea, sometimes when I ate too much I felt nauseous on the medication. However, the medicine helps curb your appetite. I barely ate anything. Maybe I had eggs in the morning, no bread. Lunch soup with salad and at night nuts and yogurt. I can't believe I only lost 7 pounds. I'm still NOT pregnant, yet I do I have regular periods."

Jessica81213 July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on Metformin when I was first diagnosed with type 2. It had no effect on my A1C or my daily levels. I tried it for 2 years. I ended up with diarrhea all the time. They tried switching me to metformin ER(SR) and that didn't help either. I then was switched glyburide 5mg 2 times a day. The first dose dropped my blood sugar into the 50's. I called the Dr she switched it to 2.5mg twice a day. my A1C is down to 5.6 my daily levels are back to normal. Just because a drug is effective for one person it may not be for another. Don't be afraid to ask questions."

Paulak63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "On the couch all day yesterday with stomach pains, slept like crap and feel like I'm drunk or really tired with a heavy body to day at work. Im 43, 5,6 and 180lbs...."

Four days into using (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been taking metformin for about 3 weeks . I lost over 20lbs so far. My starting weight was 240lbs and my current weight is 217lbs . I'm 24 yr old and I'm about 5"2'. I had no bad side effects on metformin."

DaniCandi (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Stomach pain, nausea, weakness, lethargy"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 was always on birth control until this year now am 27 I went in to my obgyn and asked to get on metformin to regulate so I was prescribed 500mg four times a day sure enough my periods came like clock work and I was late this month took a test and got the BFP (A big fat positive pregnancy test) after taking it 6 months I finally conceived did not know this was a miracle pill I tried so many years and now my prayers were answered don't give up ladies there is hope am passing on baby dust to all of you... :)"

MIRIELYIS (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Started my period when I was 11, went through cycles like a normal pre-teen, and then when I was 13 my period stopped. After a few months I mentioned it to my pediatrician, who referred me to an OBGYN, and then a pediatric endocrinologist. Because I was so young, I chose to forgo BC and do metformin, started out at 500mg/day. Lost 40 pounds and felt great, periods came back to every 35-40 days. However, after a while, the medication stopped working and I was put up to 1000mg, then eventually 1500mg. Once I was older I switched to BC because the metformin stopped working. Liked that I lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but then it just stopped. I'm on it again now after 3 years to lower my free testosterone, and it's ok."

rafb (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Diagnosed as "pre-diabetic", A1C 5.9. GP said my triglycerides high and prescribed metformin 500 mg twice a day. 1 pill a day had no obvious side effects. Adding pill #2 gave diarrhea if taken at the same time. So I shifted pill #2 to lunch and it gave diarrhea after 2 days in a row. So I worked my way up to 2 a day. Mon & Thur for month. Mon/Wed/Fri for a month. Etc. My A1C is now 5.3-5.7, with my insurance the generic is super cheap (less than $1/month), and if I have diarrhea for any reason I skip the 2nd daily pill. Metformin is working fine for me."

AJChar June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I just started glimpride and metformin 1gm for 2 days ..feeling tight chest, breathing problems, sudden weakness, dizziness, cold sweats,.. Should I stop taking this medicine or continue with it?? I take glimpride and metformine 15 minutes before breakfast and metformin once more at dinner (15mins) before.."

Shabi4christ June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on this medication for about 14yrs. I am multiply disabled, with PCOS & Diabetes type 2, being the reasons why I was on this drug. Its an excellent drug, one that I was comfortable taking for many years, but recently was having issues with it. It started making my GERD get really bad. Also the smell of the pills themselves made me want to puke daily."

E D (taken for 10 years or more) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Today is my day 10, severe diarrhea started on day 2. Bad in the morning and late evening, yesterday I started with the metallic taste in my mouth. I hope it passes. My dose is 500 mg twie a day. As far as side effects go, not too bad."

Mrs Mills (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017