User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 8 reviews 23 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 126 reviews 140 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 358 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metformin

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I'm actually pre diabetic. I've been on this drug for 3 weeks. I've lost 9 pounds. Saw my doctor today because things taste very salty to me. I'm having wild dreams, sweats/then cold, and absolutely no appetite. We talked and I'm going to continue for another 10 days until I'm seen again. Does anyone else on this medication experience any of what I am."

DALLAS LAUREL May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I didn't have such a good experience with it. Whenever I take it after breakfast as my doctor prescribed me, i feel nausea and dizziness. In the starting days I felt severe weakness and pain in my backbone and in my whole body but as the time passed my feelings are getting changed just like I like feel vomiting even during sleep. I feel like my heart comes out, I feel dizziness too much and feel blah. I'm worried about my condition because it is necessary to take this medicine but the side effects are making my life like hell."

Sadaf butt May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin is for 'PCOS type 1', insulin resistant, becoming insulin resistant, prediabetic or diabetic. If you're like me & have no diabetes/non-insulin resistance, you're 'PCOS type 2'. This great drug is NOT for us! My ex PCP & ex Endo both pushed this on me. I took it for almost two years. Over a 2yr span I developed every symptom of hypothyroidism, goitre & my PCOS went crazy! I lost 60% of my hair, choking in my sleep from the goitre & zero energy. I gained 80lbs & my Doctors couldn't figure out why. Got a new Endo, stopped Metformin! I'm dropping weight & Goitre/hypo GONE! Full Thyroid panel was always perfect btw. Google "5 types of PCOS"!"

Nyk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been on metformin since the beginning of this year and still have no luck with getting pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's. I ended up losing weight and got pregnant with my first child at 24 had him at 25. Now my child is 2 and my hunny and I are trying to baby #2. My obgyn had me had 500mg twice daily and slowly now I am at 500mg four times daily. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I was on birth control to help with my cycle but was told to stop taking it since I am trying to conceive. I will be 28 in Aug and praying we get our 2nd child. Wish us luck and yall ladies are in my prayers."

Evie210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Been taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes for more than 10 years. Over the last five years my memory has gotten so bad that I almost can't function at work, I am dizzy, anxious, cold, and often confused. My doctor said it was not due to the Metformin. I lowered my dose myself and the coldness stopped and other symptoms improved slightly. A year later they were even worse. I cut my pills in half to reduce my dose again, and most of the symptoms went away. Now that I have been on this reduced dose a while, the symptoms are slowly coming back. I won't be taking Metformin any more. It is a terrible way to live not ring able to remember what someone just said to you, where you left off counting, or how to get to the store. I am only 44."

GirlWithDiab May 9, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24, I wasn't taken anything. I'm now 25 due to how my period being missing for 3 months lately, I gained about 25 pounds plus unable to give my husband a child , my doctor now prescribe metformin and a weight loss plan. I have being taking it for 2 weeks now, trying to eat healthy and exercising.. please wish me luck"

Jodi25 May 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Before, I am having my period every four months and gained so much weight from 65kg to 75kg so I consulted obgyn about it. I was diagnosed with PCOS, so I take metformin for once a day every night. And then twice a day everyday. Now I am having my period every month. Thanks to metformin!"

Derence April 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 26 and have PCOS. I use this medication when trying to conceive. I have been TTC for 12 months and nothing was happening so my doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I only had to take the medication for 2 months before I was pregnant. The medication does give me diarrhea at the beginning of starting it but I suffer from chronic constipation so I sort of don't mind that side effect in a weird way. I do notice I am losing a little bit of weight as I take this medication as well."

AshleyS. April 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "A few days ago after being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg that my doctor wants me to take twice a day. Before taking this medicine ,my fasting blood sugar levels ranged from 140-320. My blood sugar levels were very erratic ,not to mention once my blood sugar got as high as 596, and 375. Plus, it felt like I had a stomach bug that wouldn't go away, because my blood sugar constantly measured at high levels. After been on Metformin for only a few days, my blood sugar levels have started to stabilize, and my fasting range is now between 85-120. I genuinely feel a lot better because my blood sugar for the most part has started to stay in the normal range. Metformin has been nothing short of a miracle drug for me"

QueenOfTheReich9 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at 22 I am now 29, I have had regular periods due to birth control, but my doctor mentioned metformin for me to go on because My husband and I want to start a family. I have read some successful stories and I am so glad to see them. I was 280 lbs at one point, I was sad, and hated myself for being that big but I got through it. I started going to the gym and trying to eat better, I lost 80 and then some but I have put back on about 15 and pushed be back to 200lbs and it's hard to keep the weight off. At the gym 5 times a week soon, trying to get healthy to have a baby besides going on the medication. Wish me luck!!"

Dani1025 April 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Was having good results with no side effects for years until the drug companies wanted to produce it at a cheaper cost. Drugs are now mostly made in India and China. I am extremely allergic to some of the inactive ingrediants. Stomach issues, body rash, swelling and bleeding skin around the eyes and leg pain. I am now forced to use metformin in a liquid form that is made at a local compound pharmacy to avoid impurities at a cost of $70 a month for a twice daily dose."

Change in med ingrediants (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I experienced severe increases in my blood pressure. Had anxiety and panic attaches. Had a small ischemic stroke. Had weakness, numbness and tingling in muscles, muscle cramps, bad taste in mouth. Headaches and confusion."

No more met April 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "So I been on metformin for about 3 maybe 4 month's (not really for sure so please forgive me) and I was finely having regular menstrual cycles. In January 31, 2017 I spotted and was cramping a lot , I thought it was time for me to start my period, well I haven't had my menstrual cycles since then. I have taking so many pregnancy test and they have all come out negative. At this point I am worried, is there anyone that can help or something before I loss my mind?!?!"

Meme2xX March 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Horrible. Horrible migraines, hot flashes, stomach pain, diarrhea. Just horrible"

Solpcos (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at the end of my junior year in high school. I am 24 years old now at first I was just given spironolactone and birth control to treat my PCOS because I would have periods every other week. I kept gaining weight I was 127 pounds when I first got diagnosed and now up to 171 pounds. Went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago to see if there was anything I could do to help me lose weight she prescribed me metformin ER 500 mg twice daily,I have only been on the medicine for about 2 weeks and haven't seen any weight changes but I have noticed that my appetite has been curbed some. I am hoping for the best with the medication."

light at the end of tunnel March 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Been taking 1000mg a day for about a week. No side effects and my blood glucose levels are around 150 now. I'm Full sooner and hoping for some weight loss. Took Trulicity prior and was sick an entire week from one shot!"

Sar1060 March 20, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Mildly effective with controlling blood glucose. Side effect of extreme fecal incontinence was unacceptable."

Philip Lerner (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Took the first 500mg pill that evening, felt a little light headed at bedtime, same thing that next morning at 7:00am. Took the second pill at 7:30am and by 10:00am I was so dizzy I spent the next day and a half flat on my back in bed, the room was spinning even with my eyes closed."

wblackb100 March 17, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was started on Metformin ER 500 mg, 1 at bedtime. Increased 1 week later to 500 mg in a.m. & p.m. My A1c was 6.7. Dr would not increase my dose so I did on my own. Having been type 2 diabetic for 18 years I was previously on Actos 10 years & my A1c was always 5.4 or 5.5. I now take the Met ER 500 mg three times daily, 1 every 8 hours & #'s are great. I researched Met ER & learned it loses most of it's punch 8-10 hours after a dose. I've had NO problems at 3x day & my #'s are great!!"

ras410berry2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin has side effects like diarrhea, WHEN I have sugar (regular sugar, fructose and artificial sugar - it does not care). Eat poorly, guaranteed to have diarrhea. Also headaches if sugar spikes quickly, again food choices do this. If I just really want a bite of pizza or candy bar, I eat healthy (lots of vegetables and salad, protein) with NO processed foods, NO breads/pasta/potatoes/rice, and at end of meal have 1-2 bites Savor and stop. I give myself a treat ONCE a month. Keep sugars down to 80-130 by diet and one Metformin 500mg a day. Eat too much at a meal, walk or exercise to burn the carbs. Burn too much and you get shaky or a headache. Water is key too. Water pulls sugar down (dilutes and flushes it out of the fat cells."

CharlieBW (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I got my first period when I was 11 and was regular up until I was 14 and then they stopped. Fast forward to 2015 and I hadn't had a period at all for 5 years. I decided to finally do something about it, I was actually enjoying the lack of periods to be honest! I had some tests done and the diagnosis of PCOS was confirmed. My doctor put me on metformin 500mg twice a day and I hated it. I was so nauseous for the first two weeks, frequent diarrhea and lots of dizziness but it all passed. After that I began to have more energy aaaaand my period came back. It makes you feel really gross at first but if you can survive the first few weeks you'll be all good!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi everyone, I usually got my period once in 3 months and when the Dr diagnosed me of PCOS in 2013, he prescribed metformin for me but it gave me serious gastrointestinal issues so I stopped it barely after 2 weeks. After I got married in 2015, we started TTC and along the line bumped into this page. I summoned courage and got metformin again by October 2016, this time I didn't mind the side effects but took it judiciously at 1500mg/day. My period became a tad regular and viola......we got a BFP in Feb 2017!!! In the end please don't forget to keep praying . Goodluck guys."

Trinity101 March 3, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Have been struggling with PCOS for a long time but wasn't diagnosed till I was 23. I gained 30lbs (155lbs)and stayed that weight no matter what I tried for a few years. Then I got pregnant (no issues at this point) and had my son... but ballooned up to 211lbs during pregnancy and after I had him could only get down to 175lbs. Fast forward a few years and we were trying for 7 months to conceive a second time with no luck. Someone suggested I take Metformin so I tried it. Within 2 weeks I was pregnant. Now have a 4 month old little girl. Worked for me, and I am so thankful for it. I am going to go back on it after she turns 6 months cause now I need to lose weight badly and the acne is killing me. I'm 5'4 and 190lbs!"

Happymom83 February 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Glumetza (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been taking Glumetza ER (500mg) for three weeks now and so far so good. My levels came down to 85-115 within the first five days from 230. I take it with breakfast but I'm thinking about changing it to dinner time because my numbers always go up while I'm sleeping. I sometimes get a slight headache about five hours after I take it and right about the same time have loose stools. It doesn't bother me as long as it keep my numbers down. I've lost a total of 11 pounds since finding out I'm type 2 and using Glumetza ER. I'm 32, 180lbs, 5'3" and a mother to two beautiful girls."

California Gal (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was age 19 when diagnosed with PCOS . I did my research shortly before I sought medical help for it even though I did get a cycle every month. When I saw my gyn and told her about my research on metformin she prescribed me my own script . I took 1,000 mg twice daily for 30 days and felt great. I then conceived me daughter June of 2013 and had her March 2014. No problems taking it throughout pregnancy , it helps reduce the risk of miscarriage as well . And yes my Gyn gave me this info and benefits during pregnancy !"

Yvonne R February 15, 2017