User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 8 reviews 23 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 132 reviews 141 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 370 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metformin

For Diabetes, Type 2: "On the couch all day yesterday with stomach pains, slept like crap and feel like I'm drunk or really tired with a heavy body to day at work. Im 43, 5,6 and 180lbs...."

Four days into using (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been taking metformin for about 3 weeks . I lost over 20lbs so far. My starting weight was 240lbs and my current weight is 217lbs . I'm 24 yr old and I'm about 5"2'. I had no bad side effects on metformin."

DaniCandi (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Stomach pain, nausea, weakness, lethargy"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 was always on birth control until this year now am 27 I went in to my obgyn and asked to get on metformin to regulate so I was prescribed 500mg four times a day sure enough my periods came like clock work and I was late this month took a test and got the BFP (A big fat positive pregnancy test) after taking it 6 months I finally conceived did not know this was a miracle pill I tried so many years and now my prayers were answered don't give up ladies there is hope am passing on baby dust to all of you... :)"

MIRIELYIS (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Started my period when I was 11, went through cycles like a normal pre-teen, and then when I was 13 my period stopped. After a few months I mentioned it to my pediatrician, who referred me to an OBGYN, and then a pediatric endocrinologist. Because I was so young, I chose to forgo BC and do metformin, started out at 500mg/day. Lost 40 pounds and felt great, periods came back to every 35-40 days. However, after a while, the medication stopped working and I was put up to 1000mg, then eventually 1500mg. Once I was older I switched to BC because the metformin stopped working. Liked that I lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but then it just stopped. I'm on it again now after 3 years to lower my free testosterone, and it's ok."

rafb (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Diagnosed as "pre-diabetic", A1C 5.9. GP said my triglycerides high and prescribed metformin 500 mg twice a day. 1 pill a day had no obvious side effects. Adding pill #2 gave diarrhea if taken at the same time. So I shifted pill #2 to lunch and it gave diarrhea after 2 days in a row. So I worked my way up to 2 a day. Mon & Thur for month. Mon/Wed/Fri for a month. Etc. My A1C is now 5.3-5.7, with my insurance the generic is super cheap (less than $1/month), and if I have diarrhea for any reason I skip the 2nd daily pill. Metformin is working fine for me."

AJChar June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I just started glimpride and metformin 1gm for 2 days ..feeling tight chest, breathing problems, sudden weakness, dizziness, cold sweats,.. Should I stop taking this medicine or continue with it?? I take glimpride and metformine 15 minutes before breakfast and metformin once more at dinner (15mins) before.."

Shabi4christ June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on this medication for about 14yrs. I am multiply disabled, with PCOS & Diabetes type 2, being the reasons why I was on this drug. Its an excellent drug, one that I was comfortable taking for many years, but recently was having issues with it. It started making my GERD get really bad. Also the smell of the pills themselves made me want to puke daily."

E D (taken for 10 years or more) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Today is my day 10, severe diarrhea started on day 2. Bad in the morning and late evening, yesterday I started with the metallic taste in my mouth. I hope it passes. My dose is 500 mg twie a day. As far as side effects go, not too bad."

Mrs Mills (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16 and at the age 18 I was told I would never conceive a child let alone carry to full term because of my PCOS. I have been on metformin sense then I am now 29 yrs old and just had my 3rd child all because of metformin. I'm not going to lie this medication has its ups and downs but I've learned over the years to take it an 1hr before my meals and always on time never skip a dose. I am now dropping weight like butter and I am currently on microgestin for birth control methods."

Teri Ruiz (taken for 10 years or more) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I am very cautious about new medications, but I started taking metformin 6 months ago (no cost at my drugstore) for impaired glucose tolerance and I feel so much better! It helped curb my appetite and I am eating much healthier - I have lost 15 pounds, due not just to the metformin, but also healthier eating and increased exercise. Another positive is that I have a decrease in the number of migraine headache episodes that I had before I started metformin. Again, a combination of meds and healthier lifestyle habits."

JP35 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Many subtle side effects that clear over time. Chance of infection side effect is curious as that is a condition to be religiously avoided with diabetes of any type. Also since starting Metformin I have red skin on right leg that seems to never go away. More than a coincidence I think that this appeared right after starting this medication. I am finding controlling my diet and exercise a much better solution than current drugs but will take for a while longer."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I'm actually pre diabetic. I've been on this drug for 3 weeks. I've lost 9 pounds. Saw my doctor today because things taste very salty to me. I'm having wild dreams, sweats/then cold, and absolutely no appetite. We talked and I'm going to continue for another 10 days until I'm seen again. Does anyone else on this medication experience any of what I am."

DALLAS LAUREL May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I didn't have such a good experience with it. Whenever I take it after breakfast as my doctor prescribed me, i feel nausea and dizziness. In the starting days I felt severe weakness and pain in my backbone and in my whole body but as the time passed my feelings are getting changed just like I like feel vomiting even during sleep. I feel like my heart comes out, I feel dizziness too much and feel blah. I'm worried about my condition because it is necessary to take this medicine but the side effects are making my life like hell."

Sadaf butt May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin is for 'PCOS type 1', insulin resistant, becoming insulin resistant, prediabetic or diabetic. If you're like me & have no diabetes/non-insulin resistance, you're 'PCOS type 2'. This great drug is NOT for us! My ex PCP & ex Endo both pushed this on me. I took it for almost two years. Over a 2yr span I developed every symptom of hypothyroidism, goitre & my PCOS went crazy! I lost 60% of my hair, choking in my sleep from the goitre & zero energy. I gained 80lbs & my Doctors couldn't figure out why. Got a new Endo, stopped Metformin! I'm dropping weight & Goitre/hypo GONE! Full Thyroid panel was always perfect btw. Google "5 types of PCOS"!"

Nyk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been on metformin since the beginning of this year and still have no luck with getting pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's. I ended up losing weight and got pregnant with my first child at 24 had him at 25. Now my child is 2 and my hunny and I are trying to baby #2. My obgyn had me had 500mg twice daily and slowly now I am at 500mg four times daily. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I was on birth control to help with my cycle but was told to stop taking it since I am trying to conceive. I will be 28 in Aug and praying we get our 2nd child. Wish us luck and yall ladies are in my prayers."

Evie210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Been taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes for more than 10 years. Over the last five years my memory has gotten so bad that I almost can't function at work, I am dizzy, anxious, cold, and often confused. My doctor said it was not due to the Metformin. I lowered my dose myself and the coldness stopped and other symptoms improved slightly. A year later they were even worse. I cut my pills in half to reduce my dose again, and most of the symptoms went away. Now that I have been on this reduced dose a while, the symptoms are slowly coming back. I won't be taking Metformin any more. It is a terrible way to live not ring able to remember what someone just said to you, where you left off counting, or how to get to the store. I am only 44."

GirlWithDiab May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24, I wasn't taken anything. I'm now 25 due to how my period being missing for 3 months lately, I gained about 25 pounds plus unable to give my husband a child , my doctor now prescribe metformin and a weight loss plan. I have being taking it for 2 weeks now, trying to eat healthy and exercising.. please wish me luck"

Jodi25 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Before, I am having my period every four months and gained so much weight from 65kg to 75kg so I consulted obgyn about it. I was diagnosed with PCOS, so I take metformin for once a day every night. And then twice a day everyday. Now I am having my period every month. Thanks to metformin!"

Derence April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 26 and have PCOS. I use this medication when trying to conceive. I have been TTC for 12 months and nothing was happening so my doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I only had to take the medication for 2 months before I was pregnant. The medication does give me diarrhea at the beginning of starting it but I suffer from chronic constipation so I sort of don't mind that side effect in a weird way. I do notice I am losing a little bit of weight as I take this medication as well."

AshleyS. April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "A few days ago after being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg that my doctor wants me to take twice a day. Before taking this medicine ,my fasting blood sugar levels ranged from 140-320. My blood sugar levels were very erratic ,not to mention once my blood sugar got as high as 596, and 375. Plus, it felt like I had a stomach bug that wouldn't go away, because my blood sugar constantly measured at high levels. After been on Metformin for only a few days, my blood sugar levels have started to stabilize, and my fasting range is now between 85-120. I genuinely feel a lot better because my blood sugar for the most part has started to stay in the normal range. Metformin has been nothing short of a miracle drug for me"

QueenOfTheReich9 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS at 22 I am now 29, I have had regular periods due to birth control, but my doctor mentioned metformin for me to go on because My husband and I want to start a family. I have read some successful stories and I am so glad to see them. I was 280 lbs at one point, I was sad, and hated myself for being that big but I got through it. I started going to the gym and trying to eat better, I lost 80 and then some but I have put back on about 15 and pushed be back to 200lbs and it's hard to keep the weight off. At the gym 5 times a week soon, trying to get healthy to have a baby besides going on the medication. Wish me luck!!"

Dani1025 April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Was having good results with no side effects for years until the drug companies wanted to produce it at a cheaper cost. Drugs are now mostly made in India and China. I am extremely allergic to some of the inactive ingrediants. Stomach issues, body rash, swelling and bleeding skin around the eyes and leg pain. I am now forced to use metformin in a liquid form that is made at a local compound pharmacy to avoid impurities at a cost of $70 a month for a twice daily dose."

Change in med ingrediants (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I experienced severe increases in my blood pressure. Had anxiety and panic attaches. Had a small ischemic stroke. Had weakness, numbness and tingling in muscles, muscle cramps, bad taste in mouth. Headaches and confusion."

No more met April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "So I been on metformin for about 3 maybe 4 month's (not really for sure so please forgive me) and I was finely having regular menstrual cycles. In January 31, 2017 I spotted and was cramping a lot , I thought it was time for me to start my period, well I haven't had my menstrual cycles since then. I have taking so many pregnancy test and they have all come out negative. At this point I am worried, is there anyone that can help or something before I loss my mind?!?!"

Meme2xX March 26, 2017