User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 102 reviews 135 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 283 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "25 years old - diagnosed with PCOS at 16. Always have been overweight, abnormal hair growth & irregular periods. I'm "pre-diabetic" with diabetes on both sides of my family so taking Metformin as a preventative measure. I've been on metformin for 10 days and have already lost 3 pounds with no significant diet change & got my period on my own without having to take medication for the first time in years. Less hungry, especially at night. I did have terrible diarrhea the first few days but that has resolved. Today started with a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which I'm hoping will subside soon because I feel pretty good otherwise! My advice - don't get discouraged with the stomach issues in the beginning - push through!"

Anonymous August 22, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Pre-diabetic. Placed on Metformin. The first day severe dirreahea but after that nothing. I take 500mg twice a day at breakfast and dinner..Don't craved sweets as much. Which is great and when i do eat i feel full fast. Don't know about any weight loss but i do feel a lot better since taking metformin. But i only been taking it for two days... Other than having dirreahea the first day. I have no other reactions. I drink plenty of water and sparkling water too...I'm also getting in the habit of eating healthier."

Bamaborn August 22, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I'm reading these and having some mixed emotions but hope is the major one. I'm 42 I was diagnosed 20 years ago fortunate enough to have 4 beautiful children with mild fertility help. I had terrible periods when I had them and as I got older the came every other week I had the ablation procedure and that was a miracle worker. I'm a group fitness instructor I teach anywhere from 16 to 20 classes a week and I weigh 200 lbs at 5'4. I know I am fit. I eat fairly well and for the life of me cannot see why I'm so heavy. I went to my annual check up and the doc told me about this medicine and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I work my butt off and I'm still heavy. For the last 4 years it's been 10lbs a year. I hope this is my answer???"

Anonymous August 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 17! I was detected with pcod with insulin resistance!! I found out the symptoms like hair growth on stomach chest, oily skin ,acne , irregular periods and weight gain like really fast weight gain! So i am taking meformin 500mg! I take the medicine twice a day and yes i had been of great use i lost 2 kgs in 25 days bcz of diet control and the medication! And yes my periods are also regular!"

Yukiee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I would not credit metformin as the only reason I have done so well with the pcos weight gain, but I believe it's been a HUGE help. I was a very active female, ex military who was always within my bmi. I went from 138 lbs to 350 lbs in 8 years before the pcos was even diagnosed. 7 months on metformin, with a healthy diet and moderate exercise and I'm 140 lbs down. For me, it worked. I went through 2 or 3 brands until I got to one that didn't make me sick. But I'm grateful I stuck it out. Pcos is a nightmare, the hair growth alone makes you feel less feminine let alone the massive weight fluctuations. I wish everybody luck and obviously listen to your body and research everything the dr recommends. Good luck and god bless!"

Angobe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was disgnosed with PCOS 2 years ago and was prescribed metformin. When I first began taking it I felt very off, like I was in a fog. I suspect this was my body adjusting to a lower blood sugar level (pre-diabetic). This began wearing off after a couple weeks and I felt better than I ever have. It really helped. My dosage is 1000 mg 2x daily. I have now lost over 100 pounds over the past 2 years, though I can't say if the metformin contributed to weight loss, as I did a drastic lifestyle change; but I suspect that it has. Now that I am healthier, though, I am starting to get that same foggy feeling as I had in the beginning. I think the dosage is too high now that I am overcoming PCOS through a healthy lifestyle. Just keep that in mind :)."

Kitty K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been suffering from PCOS since 16. Now Iam 23 and married. I have too many problems..acne,excess hair growth weight gain..are some of them. I nver got my periods on time.. It comes with 3 or 4 month with severe bleeding.I met so many docters. but I hadnt my periods on time.. and my husband and I tried to conceive for one year but we couldnt. On June I met my new docter and he put me on metformin. He started me on metformin 500mg twice a day... First 2 weeks with metformin is horrible.. I faced too many side effects but I got the medicine on time. and I also met my dietician and had my diet plan. he said I have to reduce my dinner and drink a milk called "Slim Right" Beginning of the first 2 weeks my periods Just came..."

Hasi July 25, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have pcos and a couple months ago my doctor recommended 1000 mg of metformin a day, my period never really came as it should but i did loose some weight, I visited the doctor last week and told him of my period issue and he recommended 2000 mg a day ...I feel very sick but i'm trying had to stay positive. I really want to have a baby so whatever it takes...I'm willing to try now."

Mori_K (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Being trying to get pregnant for a year. Was diagnosed with PCOS 2 wks ago and pre diabetic. Have been dealing with infertility for a while even tho i have 2 children. Started metformin a week ago and hoping for a positive turn out. Everyone's stories are encouraging! Will post again soon, hopefully with good news."

Ladykris (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My question - I need to know if anyone out there has had success taking this for the purpose of weight loss alone? I've always had PCOS. Never had one period on my own. Ever. I was induced on provera and had one and luckily became pregnant. Because I never had periods on my own, I had a hysterectomy at 30. But I still have all the other symptoms of PCOS including excess weight. After years of extreme eating, the gym and running...my doctor is putting me on Metformin. All the success stories I've read on this blog are great and I'm happy for you but they all have to do with conception. Does anyone have a story on weight loss?"

dino123 July 12, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi have been reading all the stories. I have PCOS got told at 19 as i would miss a period for like 3months. So back then didnt really care or worry fast forward 6years and me and my partner are still trying to fall pregnant "

Danz02 July 11, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "9 days of Metformin have been horrible. So I quit. 250mg caused major mood swings. Like I have been in a bubble. Hips and legs ache so bad. Explosive diarrhea and MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!"

PCOS for years (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been diagnosed PCOS not so long ago. I'm 20 yrs old. My doctor put me on metformin. She said to take it for 1-2 weeks 1000mg a day. I felt very fine! Then she said to increase it to 1000mg twice a day. This is my second day taking 4 pills a day. And I feel horrible stomach pain, nausea horrible!!! Maybe it's because I don't have a decent meal with my pills. Will that affect it at all? Can someone help?!"

TelmaB (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "For Mommy of PCOS, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 and have been taking birth control to control most of the side effects since then. I switched doctors and my new doctor recently put me on metformin slow release (which helps a lot with the ugly GI side effects) and spironolactone, which is an anti-testosterone type of drug that works with birth control to control acne and hirsutism (excessive hair growth). Spironolactone and birth control have to be taken together, specially for PCOS because they work better and because spironolactone can cause birth defects, if your daughter where to get pregnant in the future. Metformin has worked great for me and I have been noticing my weight going down, after many years not being able to lose weight."

Abd2890 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have always had issues with irregular periods since my first period at 17 years old. I summed it up to my body just being complicated. When I turned 25 my periods started getting farther and farther apart. I'd have a 25 day cycle and then he next would be 90 days. I ended up in the ER with two ruptured cysts and one the size of a baseball. After years of feeling tired all the time and strange hairs on my breasts and random places I was finally diagnosed with PCOS. I had also been trying to conceive for one year. My doctor started me on metformin 500mg once a day. Just 3 weeks later I conceived and 9 days after that I had a positive pregnancy test. After a entire year of trying!!! I feel so much better on this medicine."

Heather1989 June 28, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I had my 14 year old daughter tested for PCOS because she had extra hair growth on her face and even though she was a very active girl, she never lost any weight. Only one hormone level came back slightly elevated, but her pediatrician still referred her to an endocrinologist. They ordered an ultrasound and sure enough, she was diagnosed with PCOS. She now takes Metformin 500mg twice daily and has lost 14 lbs since December. She hasn't suffered any side effects, thank God, but the hair growth continues. According to her doctor birth control pills will help with the hair growth, but I remain reluctant due to their side effects. We tried laser hair removal, but it's really pricey and has not helped. Any suggestions???"

Mommy of PCOS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I'm 25. I havnt had a regular menstrual cycle in years. After TTC for going on 5 years me, and my husband decided to take the next step in seeing a fertility dr. I was diagnosed with pcos. I took provera for 10 days to induce my period, and once it started on cd 5 I was put on metformin 500 mg for 3 weeks. 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon. I've had side affects like stomach cramps, and diarrhea (sorry tmi) mood swings, a little decrease in appetite (no weight loss). I'm now on my last day of taking this, and I'm not sure if it has helped. Hoping for the best. Goodluck to the rest of you ladies that are TTC."

O.p.w June 21, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Started taking metformin 500mg 3 times daily, day 3 and no horrible side effects thank God. Have started my first round of icsi and metformin was a must. I hope I dont have any side effects because I've heard so many great reviews once this medicine starts working!! I hope I have a positive outcome and weight loss wud b an advantage after I have my first miracle "

Nikkig29 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi I'm 36yrs old ,never missed a period in my life since 13. Have an 8yr old child . One miscarriage and not able to conceive. Hav. Hypothyroidism since 2012. Steady weight gain , thinning hair ,excessive hair on face(now dat i notice). N my doctor says I'm likely to have pcos . put on metformin xr once a day. Taking since 15days . Bad cramps ,diarrhoea like never before. I stopped taking the medicine. But now I have aversion towards greasy food do not feel depressed n feel energetic so decided to continue. And yes I have lost 2kilos.looking forward to conceiving."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on this medication a mere 4 days. I have gained 7 pounds in that time. l also feel extremely bloated. I also had an upset stomach for the first two days. I am getting off of it immediately!! I must be on of the lucky ones it is not working well for me at all."

details May 26, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have taken combo Metformin-glyburide and had large stools, with Metformin-glypizide have some problem with the "consistency" of long stools (hard to get and stay clean); otherwise, a miracle drug in glucose level control and muscle tone & weight control."

Horseshoe7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "It has not lowered my A1C. My glucose levels stay in the 120-140 range. I have had increased sweats, and i am 66 yrs. old, increased hunger and weight gain, nervousness."

Bev T (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been taking metformin for only a week. But that being said I have noticed straight away the changes that it has made. I have had pcos since I was 19 I am now 27 I have never had any medication for my PCOS. I had gone to my doctors as I was stressed about the fact I had not had my period in over 4 months. As I have ben quite regular considering here and there a few misses etc. At the start of taking the medication I was quite sick but that lasted two days I have decreased in appetite and my period actually came! so so far so good. Soon I will be on a higher dose as I am currently on one tablet! fingers crossed it keeps working! I know its only one week in but to be already getting good results I just had to share."

liv271989 May 6, 2016

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I started metformin April 28, 2016. The first two weeks I was taking 1000 mg each morning after Breakfast. My doctor then added an additional 1000 mg each morning on the third week. I experienced very mild nausea and stomach upset, going into the fifth week I started having this weird thing to happen...as I took steps in walking I would get this quick catch pain on the inside of my upper thigh to the right of my pubic where the leg connects...and I would be afraid to take long strides. I did lose 9 pounds in thirty days. I'm not craving too many sweets as my appetite has diminished."

Michelle714 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Sugar still 170 ish , Taking 250mg 2x /day with food and plenty of water , was supposed to exercise also but can't due to stomach pain very bad, achey joint , blurred vision and did i mention stomach pain very bad. If Dr don't call me back today , Im off this crap . I feel worse now than I did 2 weeks ago. Several times worse."

FootMan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016