User Reviews for Metformin to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Also known as: Glumetza, Riomet Riomet ER

Metformin Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Metformin

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2020

Glucophage (metformin): “Before glucophage was a known to help for fertility, I took it for type 2 diabetes and got pregnant 1 & 1/2 weeks after last period. That was 24 years ago. I now take it again because I’m having trouble keeping A1C blood sugar below 7.”

RX skeptic · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“My doctor put me on Meformin after telling him I am very sensitive to all RX Long story short I wound up hospitalized for Pancreatitis ,be weary of these medical doctors they don't listen or care PS his next recommendation was a diabetic drug that has a propensity to cause UTI I am managing with diet and exercise”

Ginny · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2020

“I took metformin 1000mg in a combo for several years with no problems. 45 days ago a new doctor started me on a new medication plan. I started Rybelsus with Farxiga and 1000mg metformin. I had an immediate reaction of headaches, nausea & extreme hunger and my blood sugar skyrocketed. Doctor had me stop the metformin & the side effects stopped, but my blood sugar remained very high. After a few weeks she had me add metformin back in at 500mg twice a day. My side effects returned and now include constipation, but I'm trying to tough it out. I have been nauseous randomly for several days. I can't enjoy a meal or activities. Doctor keeps telling me I'll get used to it but I'm not seeing it yet. My blood sugar has gone down but not to normal ranges. I sure hope things settle down soon. So far the benefits are not outweighing the side effects.”

Skylar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2020

“I was put on metformin ER 500 mg once a day. My doctor told me to raise it to 1000mg (two) in the morning and two in the evening I told her about my stomach issues so decided to do 500mg in morning and 500mg in evening. The other day I started to have very bad stomach pain woke up at 2 in the morning very bad cramping and stomach pain felt like I wanted to throw up even when I took it had a bad after taste plus made my nose bleed again. This medicine is not good at all”

KD · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

“I have been taking Metformin ER for 10 years. It was working fine. Recently supplier was switched from Teva to Amneal. I found Amneal to cause high blood sugar and I discontinued. Switched to another supplier and BS is normal. I found out today Amneal is recalling Metformin ER 7 lots. I was taking a recalled lot. Recall is for higher level of carcinogenic contamination in these lots. Please report any adverse effects”

AverageGuy50yrsold · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“So far Metformin has been a wonder drug for me. I'm dropping weight, not hungry at all, and my energy levels are up. I'm taking one with each meal. I'm losing 5+ lbs a week and it's all from my stomach fat. I've had one bout of diarrhea but that was in the first 3 days of use and when I took 2 in the AM versus 1 with each meal. I do think I need to drink more water with this prescription as it seems to slow bowel movements down. No other issues. I'm taking a blood pressure medication and B-12 supplements with it. And a multivitamin.”

Anonymous May 2, 2020

“I have been taking metformin for a month I've been ok with it so far”

Ayesha siddiqua · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2020

Glucophage XR (metformin): “The glucophage tablet is good and diabetes is normal”

Blue in Red March 15, 2020

“Metformin has that fishy smell and taste, which started in 2019, makes me nauseous. I am going to switch to the Amneal metformin product.”

Elgin February 28, 2020

“Very disappointed with this metformin product. When I removed the safety seal there was an obvious defect- about a third of the tablets were stuck together and deformed. I don't know if they sealed moisture in the container or not but I don't trust the deformed ones to be safe.”

Val February 21, 2020

Glumetza (metformin): “I changed from regular metformin as I could not tolerate higher dose and my A1C was up at 9.7 I have now been on glumetza for a few weeks and my readings at home have been much better with no side effects also lost 14lbs in weight I believe my A1C will be well below 7.0 in April”

Sissy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“I tried regular Metformin and the extended release and my stomach just cannot handle it. I had severe stomach cramping and uncontrollable diarrhea...meaning when it hit, there was no warning and no time to get to the bathroom. I tried with meals, with milk, without meals and nothing could allow me to tolerate it.”

Jc · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

“I'm this for T2 diabetes and PCOS. Yay me? -__- I've been on Metformin since I was about 10 years old. I'm 27 now, it always worked well for me. But I had been off it for a long time due to insurance and income issues. It never caused this explosive diarrhea back in the early 2000s! Thankfully that side effect has subsided. I learned from some Cysters' (pcos sisters) to take Metformin late at night, in the middle of a full meal and drink a full glass of water. Imodium also helps, but I hardly even have to take that now. So it lowers my A1C, aided in weight loss, gave me my cycle back and helped with the facial hair some. I take the 1000mg once a day. Fellow Cysters taking this for PCOS, I recommend you join a PCOS support group. It's blessed me greatly. :)”

Ike · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

“I still have high blood sugar. Now I get to wake up at 3am and spend an hour dealing with diarrhea. I have been late to work, and missed important meetings dealing with these side effects. I honestly rather back to un treated diabetes than to continue on with meformin.”

Jorge · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

Glumetza (metformin): “For the past 22 years I have been taking a different metformin brand. For the past 3 months I switched to glumetza noticing a significant difference. Not only did it help lower my level of glucose, but also contributed to reduce my hypertension to almost normal range”

Squeaky · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

“I've lost ten lbs in a little over a month taking metformin for type II diabetes combined with giving up sugary sodas and watching carbs, however passing gas has become a gamble too risky to take if you get my drift. The intestinal "discomforts" are real, folks. They're not kidding about that.”

Mistershorts · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

“Has anyone had a problem when they switch brands of metformin?”

Mk · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 10 years ago. Started with metformin but the numbers were jumping high so the doctor added another one but numbers were still out of range, so another pill, then another was added and talk of insulin the next option. A blood pressure pill was added to protect the kidneys. The past summer my husband joined me on the keto lifestyle as well as intermittent fasting. He went off all med ( the doctor knew). His glucose readings were great. But the doctor told him that he wanted him to get back on metformin because the latest research showed that it can extend one's life and is good for the heart. My husband did not want to do this but I pushed and he started back on it. Well almost immediately his blood sugar spiked into the low 200's then mid 200's. He went off it and within 48 hours his numbers were down. He is in the 80's to low 100's doing keto & fasting.”

Insomniac Too · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“When I was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me Metformin. After I took the very first pill, I had SEVERE stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. I spent hours curled up in the fetal position balling my eyes out. I didn't care if it took time to adjust to the side effects. I tried one day's worth of the medicine and tossed the rest. My doctor went on to prescribe Amaryl. I'm sure Metformin is a great drug for some people, as it works well for other family members, but the stomach pain and vomiting was too much to handle. No thanks.”

dobrmum · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

“I was prescribed Metformin for prediabetes 4 months ago. Month 1 I experienced awful gastro intestinal issues, to the point of opting to eat only at night, when I was home because 20 minutes after eating, required me to be in the bathroom for an hour. Months 2-4 I took Metformin extended release, (which was not covered by our drug plan), no changes whatsoever other than worsening bloating/stomach pain and liquid diarrhea, then my hair began falling out by the handful. Even my husband was noticing my hair all over the bathroom floor when I brushed. This is an awful medication and all the alternatives seem to have terrible side effects too.”

LilysOma · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“I took metformin for two weeks - changing from IR tabs 500 mg twice a day, because my A1C was down to 5.5 - mostly due to gall bladder trouble and not being able to eat. This medication caused SO MUCH INTESTINAL DISTRESS I was forced to switch back to IR tabs. Stomach pain, severe bloating and gas, and diarrhea. This may not be the case for others. I also must take ox bile and other digestive supplements because I no longer have a gall bladder.”

deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2019

“Been on different brands of metformin for over 10 years. This one feels like you have just ingested acid.”

Bob November 6, 2019

“Metformin causes my husband to have yeast infections. Yes, even though he's a man it causes yeast infections”

Jambo · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 3, 2019

“I have been taking metformin 500 twice a day for 4 years with no side effect and with consistent blood sugar level. Eating whole foods, exercise, drinking plenty of water, and drinking light tea will help me avoid some of the side effects.”

Marion9999 · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

“I was prescribed metformin 500mg twice a day. After a week I looked nine months pregnant from bloating. Also experienced flu like symptoms: lower intestinal cramping, low backache, stomach pain, fatigue, generally feeling bad, low energy. I quit and went on to try other drugs but could only tolerate Januvia, with moderate success; now insurance won't cover it and I'm on Basaglar insulin with the only side effect of weight retention/almost impossible to lose. I'm so annoyed that doctors, nurse practicioners and pharmacists pump up all these drugs and how great they are without telling you about side effects, then show no empathy to your when you tell them you're having them. One provider even asked if I was imagining side effects!”