User Reviews for Metformin to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Also known as: Glumetza, Riomet Riomet ER

Metformin has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 226 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 47% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Metformin Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Metformin

Ana ruby · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

“I was taken metformin for 5 months now and am losing a bit of my weight but one thing my concerned is I'm having diarrhoea all time and the worst part is if I'm going out like for walking or groceries middle of this situations I really need to go toilet straight away otherwise I will be poop on my jeans. This is really disturbing for me because some part of my daily life activities is gone. I need to stay home or if I need to go somewhere it should be near in the restroom. I don't know if some people with diabetes type 2 is having experience same with me...thanks”

Renee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

“My doctor just put me on Metformin extended release 500mg twice a day and I'm getting a lot of brain fog I've been on it for 6 months and I'm getting very forgetful I wanted to know does anybody else experience this it's very hard to concentrate”

AverageGuy50yrsold · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“So far Metformin has been a wonder drug for me. I'm dropping weight, not hungry at all, and my energy levels are up. I'm taking one with each meal. I'm losing 5+ lbs a week and it's all from my stomach fat. I've had one bout of diarrhea but that was in the first 3 days of use and when I took 2 in the AM versus 1 with each meal. I do think I need to drink more water with this prescription as it seems to slow bowel movements down. No other issues. I'm taking a blood pressure medication and B-12 supplements with it. And a multivitamin.”

Sissy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“I tried regular Metformin and the extended release and my stomach just cannot handle it. I had severe stomach cramping and uncontrollable diarrhea...meaning when it hit, there was no warning and no time to get to the bathroom. I tried with meals, with milk, without meals and nothing could allow me to tolerate it.”

Mk · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 10 years ago. Started with metformin but the numbers were jumping high so the doctor added another one but numbers were still out of range, so another pill, then another was added and talk of insulin the next option. A blood pressure pill was added to protect the kidneys. The past summer my husband joined me on the keto lifestyle as well as intermittent fasting. He went off all med ( the doctor knew). His glucose readings were great. But the doctor told him that he wanted him to get back on metformin because the latest research showed that it can extend one's life and is good for the heart. My husband did not want to do this but I pushed and he started back on it. Well almost immediately his blood sugar spiked into the low 200's then mid 200's. He went off it and within 48 hours his numbers were down. He is in the 80's to low 100's doing keto & fasting.”

RLD Texan · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2014

“I just started metformin 16 days ago. Explosive bowel motion probably most accurately describes my initial experience. It already seems to be getting better. I've lost 21 lbs, 233 to 212, in the past 16 days. My blood sugar went from 300's to 90's.”

KD · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

“I have been taking Metformin ER for 10 years. It was working fine. Recently supplier was switched from Teva to Amneal. I found Amneal to cause high blood sugar and I discontinued. Switched to another supplier and BS is normal. I found out today Amneal is recalling Metformin ER 7 lots. I was taking a recalled lot. Recall is for higher level of carcinogenic contamination in these lots. Please report any adverse effects”

TonyRodriguez January 12, 2015

“I started taking metformin late November of 2014 and with my weight and height I was considered obese I am 5 foot 4 & I weighed 204 pounds before taking the medication. My a1c was at seven and one-half at the time of my blood test. Since taking metformin 2 times a day 500 milligrams each time I have lost close to 20 pounds and along with the change in my eating habits I'm feeling much better and continuing to lose weight on an amazing scale!”

KatzR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2021

“Took Metformin 500mg twice a day for 5 weeks and I really wanted to stay on it because my insurance covered the total cost. By the second day, I developed diarrhea. Daily trips (more than 10) to the bathroom increased because of bad diarrhea. I took the medicine with a meal that included bread, but the extreme diarrhea persisted. Weight dropped from 196 to 189 lbs. Had problem with increased thirst and constant dry mouth. Glucose still increased to 255. Alternated taking Pepto Bismol and Amodium AD for days trying to control diarrhea. I was concerned about leaving home because of the severe diarrhea. I started to feel dizzy. My mood became negative and I wondered if absorption of my antidepressant was being affected. Finally after the 5th week of Metformin twice a day, I informed my PCP about all my side effects. He had me stop the Metformin and put me on 10mg of Jardiance. The diarrhea, severe thirst, dry mouth, dizziness and bad mood all stopped. 59 year old female.”

Chuck October 2, 2020

“I was taking Metformin for a lot of years. The doctor slowly increased me until I was taking 3200 MG a day (800mg X 4 a day, 2 in am 2 in pm)which I was told was the Max. Next thing I knew my kidneys shut down and I ended up on Dialysis. The Hospital informed me I was taking way to much Metformin and took me off of it. I now only Take Glipizide but my sugar is out of control, between 2 & 300 daily reading. I am here trying to find something else I can take.”

Jean28027 January 8, 2015

“A month ago, I was placed on Metformin ER 500 mg twice a day after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (HbA1C of 7.9). I, like so many on this forum, experienced violent diarrhea for the first 7 to 10 days, which then suddenly ceased. For the first time in my life, I have since experienced life as someone without a weight problem. I no longer think about food ruminatively, have to remind myself to eat, and I stop eating when full (eating smaller portions than previously). I have not had my blood glucose re-tested yet so can not speak to the effectiveness of Metformin for glucose control, but I expect much improvement, even at this sub clinical dose. I have been losing 2 to 3 lbs per week without much effort. It has been life changing.”

Littleton · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 27, 2015

Glucophage (metformin): “Metformin (Glucophage generic) works very well without any side effects (maybe a small bit of diarrhea and gas - but that helps getting rid of my constipation). I am NOT overweight. In great shape with running, playing tennis and golf, etc. Age 65. Never was overweight. Got diabetes from drinking way too much Coca Cola and eating too much sweets (donuts, cake, candies, etc.). Always burned off the sugar so never put on weight. Never knew sugar was a poison that affects metabolism. Started taking metformin (3 X 800 daily dosage two years ago. With diet changes, brought down my blood glucose level from 358 to 130, and A1C from 15.9 to 6.7. Not out of the woods yet, but huge improvement and metformin is the only drug that works for me”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2018

“This drug gave me terrible stomach cramps that would start 3 hour after each dose followed by water diarrhea for hours! I searched for answers and suggestions and found one to be my saving grace! Eat half your meal take your pill and then finish your second half of meal. This equals no more stomach cramps and no diarrhea!!!!!”

Squeaky · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2019

“I've lost ten lbs in a little over a month taking metformin for type II diabetes combined with giving up sugary sodas and watching carbs, however passing gas has become a gamble too risky to take if you get my drift. The intestinal "discomforts" are real, folks. They're not kidding about that.”

J. Copeland July 26, 2013

Glucophage (metformin): “I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again.”

_rlm_ · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2014

“(54) yr old male: Metformin worked very quickly to lower my blood glucose levels from almost 400 to progressively down to avg of 130 within 10 days. My only complaint is the side effect of very noticeable BLURRED vision and soreness around my eyes. I have always been blessed to have 20/20 vision so this is not something I am used to. I am willing to deal with this side effect as long as my glucose levels are back to normal. As we all know, a lifestyle change with regard to diet and exercise is a MUST. My situation was a "wake up call" and my plans are to eventually be weaned off Metformin within 6 months. Be encouraged and don't give up. ”

RX skeptic · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“My doctor put me on Meformin after telling him I am very sensitive to all RX Long story short I wound up hospitalized for Pancreatitis ,be weary of these medical doctors they don't listen or care PS his next recommendation was a diabetic drug that has a propensity to cause UTI I am managing with diet and exercise”

CharlieBW · Taken for 10 years or more March 7, 2017

“Metformin has side effects like diarrhea, WHEN I have sugar (regular sugar, fructose and artificial sugar - it does not care). Eat poorly, guaranteed to have diarrhea. Also headaches if sugar spikes quickly, again food choices do this. If I just really want a bite of pizza or candy bar, I eat healthy (lots of vegetables and salad, protein) with NO processed foods, NO breads/pasta/potatoes/rice, and at end of meal have 1-2 bites Savor and stop. I give myself a treat ONCE a month. Keep sugars down to 80-130 by diet and one Metformin 500mg a day. Eat too much at a meal, walk or exercise to burn the carbs. Burn too much and you get shaky or a headache. Water is key too. Water pulls sugar down (dilutes and flushes it out of the fat cells.”

leeni May 8, 2009

Glucophage XR (metformin): “I started glucophage xr on February 20. I can not believe how much better I feel. Before glucophage I spent every waking minute thinking about what I would eat next. For the last 5 years I stayed under 1000 calories a day, and my readings were 175 or 83, I was up and down like a yo-yo all day and night. I gained weight constantly, I weighed in at 196lbs on Feb 20. Now 2 months later on glucophage I have lost 29 lbs, and I eat like a normal person. I can't believe the difference. The first week on it I had some nausea but it went away and I now have no side effects. I keep thinking this is a fluke, a pill can't make that much of a difference. I feel better than I have in 20 years, I now have energy because I am eating enough and my readings are amazing.”

Bob872 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

“Metformin was recently added to my Type 2 Diabetes Meds . I take 2000 mgs a day in divided doses with each meal. It's rough on the Stomach for sure . I'm 62. Seems to keep my sugar levels well controlled and it helps you loose weight. Get some Zofran from your Doctor to help with the nausea . Will update my experience in a few months. God Bless .”

Ike · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

“I still have high blood sugar. Now I get to wake up at 3am and spend an hour dealing with diarrhea. I have been late to work, and missed important meetings dealing with these side effects. I honestly rather back to un treated diabetes than to continue on with meformin.”

Jorge · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

Glumetza (metformin): “For the past 22 years I have been taking a different metformin brand. For the past 3 months I switched to glumetza noticing a significant difference. Not only did it help lower my level of glucose, but also contributed to reduce my hypertension to almost normal range”

Anonymous October 12, 2012

“I'm a 62 year old male. Some years back, I was experiencing a very dry mouth and frequent urination. I had my blood sugar level measured and it was at 350 so I was prescribed Metformin. The Metformin brought my sugar level down to about 150 but gave me a very bad upset stomach. The nausea wasn't temporary for me. It didn't clear up even after taking the metformin for weeks. However, I did find a solution to the problem. I switched from the regular fast acting metformin to the extended release metformin XR. The difference was like night and day. I have had no nausea at all using the metformin XR. If you're having stomach problems using regular metformin, I suggest trying the extended release version. I now take 2000 mg of metform XR daily.”

Jard · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2015

“I've been on Metformin for six years. I was recently changed from 500 mg twice daily to 1000 mg twice daily. I never had problems with the 500 mg but since going on the increased dose I find myself totally exhausted all the time. I also have very itchy skin and red spots which appear randomly on my body. It also is failing to reduce blood sugar which is really frustrating.”

T2D sufferer January 3, 2015

“Diarrhea, bloating etc. decrease within a few months, extended release tabs help, and eating small portions of food, with low carb help too. I find the cramps, diarrhea return every time I fall off the wagon, overeat or take in too much carb. it is a great motivator to keep you on your diet. And it is a great one to gradually, safely and permanently lose weight. I lost 30 lbs in 2 years and kept it, with no particular diet (except low carb) and hardly any exercise. Absolutely the best diet pill I've seen in my many diet trials over past 30 yrs.I think anyone wanting to lose weight should try this, even non diabetics.”