What is the safest diabetes medication?
Most experts consider metformin to be the safest medicine for type 2 diabetes because it has been used for many decades, is effective, affordable, and safe. Metformin is recommended as a first-line treatment for type 2 diabetes by the American Diabetes Association (ADA).
- Type 2 diabetes: Which medication is best for me? Harvard Health Publishing School. November 5, 2020. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/type-2-diabetes-which-medication-is-best-for-me-2020110521256
Related medical questions
- Does metformin cause weight loss?
- What are the symptoms of lactic acidosis caused by metformin?
- Does metformin cause hypoglycemia?
- Why does Metformin smell like fish?
- Is Invokana the same as metformin?
- How long does glucophage/Metformin stay in your system?
- Can Diabetes go away?
- What are the ingredient drugs contained in Qternmet XR?
- What foods should I eat or avoid for hypoglycemia?
- Can you have hypoglycemia without diabetes?
- What is the connection between the endocrine system and osteoporosis?
- Metformin Information for Consumers
- Metformin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Metformin (detailed)
Related support groups
- Metformin (182 questions, 706 members)
- Diabetes, Type 2 (407 questions, 1,379 members)