User Reviews for Metformin to treat Insulin Resistance Syndrome

Also known as: Glumetza, Riomet Riomet ER

Metformin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Insulin Resistance Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin

nodoccouldhelpme · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

“Had a miscarriage and went up 5 to 7kg in a matter of days. Then would diet and exercise to extreme and come down a 1 or 2 kg after many weeks then suddenly I'd balloon again 5 to 7kg. So just kept getting bigger. Docs kept saying diet exercise. Also had very hard stomach and bloating. Swelling in hands and feet. So bad couldn't wear shoes. Got put on Metformin. Didn't really change diet or exercise and dropped 4.4kg in 12 days. Am told miscarriage caused insulin spike. I am overweight and prior to this incident had slow and steady lost over 60kg but found it a huge slog. Lots of work minimal reward. I am not diabetic. My sugars are normal. All very odd. Any thoughts?”

Dani1995 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“Hello I'd like to share my experience. I have a mental illness and the meds I'm on caused me to gain a little extra weight. There was no way I wanted to change my mental health meds as I didn't want to fall back into hospital again. Anyway cut the story short I was prescribed metformin months ago. I was 98.2kg I am now 93.5kg I am happy I am losing the weight I have cut down on all the junk foods and added more fruit and salads to my diet. It also has helped me with waking up during the night and wanting to eat. I hope to lose more but time will tell.”

Aonghus · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

“I have low testosterone, high blood pressure , and over-weight {291lbs}) for the past 20 years. I started Metformin in mid-January and worked my way up to a dose of 2000mg per day. As of today (May 27, 2020), I have lost a total of 53 pounds and it has reduced my appetite by more than half. My blood pressure is starting to drop to the point of needing to have my meds adjusted. I am mountain biking again. I am feeling great. I have some of the side effects, but they are minimal. All my issues seem to have a connection to insulin resistance. I suggest doing your own research and talking to your doctor. Based on my research online, It seems this amount of weight loss is highly unusual.”

Chrissy V · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

“OK so I am prediabetic and on Day 4 of metformine. So far so good. My energy level's increased. Slight reduction in appetite. I hope this keeps up, I'd like to loose weight and found it a challenge with my insulin spiking throughout the day. I'd get hungry, craving starchy foods in the later part of my days which made it difficult to keep up with my diets. With metformin, I don't think of food as much. I am more mindful of my food intakes.”

Grateful February 23, 2020

“Found out I was insulin resistant after a 2 hour glucose test. My Dr prescribed Glucophage which I was very apprehensive of taking. I happen to suffer from severe anxiety and bouts of depression. After taking this drug, my life changed. No depression, no anxiety and no brain fog. I didn't experience any negative side effects. This has literally changed my life. No psychiatrist has ever been able to cure my anxiety. Happy to say I am cured. Anxiety and depression free for the first time in 15 years”

Beth · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2019

“I've had type 1 diabetes for 35 years, since age 5, but developed insulin resistance after being on steroids and subsequently gaining weight. My endocrinologist decided we could try metformin off-label to see if it would reduce my insulin requirements and help me lose weight after I lost nothing on a 1200 calorie low carb diet in four months of strict compliance. I was having blood sugar spikes during the night from 100 to nearly 400, likely due to my liver releasing glucose. That disappeared after my first dose and I woke up at 102. I'm reducing insulin daily so I should lose some weight finally. I'm only taking half a dose right now but will increase it soon. Stomachache is pretty much constant since I started this medication.”

Ren October 6, 2019

“Been taking the max dose of Metformin for almost two years now despite being non-diabetic and a young female within a “normal” BMI range. Diagnosed with “prediabetes” by my endo and has never officially crossed threshold for diabetes since being on Metformin. There’s definitely an adjustment curve when beginning this medication; it’s been a while but I remember the first few weeks were full of INTENSE cramping, nausea, gas, loose stools, and strangely enough, back pain. The loose stools don’t really go away but all the other symptoms have pretty much subsided. Despite its unattractive side effects it has really helped me stabilize my weight (I was randomly gaining exponentially) and even curbed cravings. Thinking about talking with my doc to lower the dosage though because I’ve noticed that it’s starting to make me intolerant to alcohol and certain other medications.”

QueenQ2 September 12, 2019

“Feeling energized, my skin, hair and nails look flawless, my mood has improved tremendously, I feel prettier and somehow sexier. I'm even turning some heads at the stop lights lol Not carving for sweets and not feeling hungry at night. Eating half of my usual portions because I feel plenty after a few bites. No headaches or dizziness just a little stomach looseness. I'm always thirsty which is good because I'm drinking 1.5 lit of water when I was used to 500 ml only.My belly looks definitely less bloated. I love you metformin <3”

wilson kimathi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

“I take this to control my glucose tolerance. I take 500mg three times a day. It has been effective in controlling my blood sugar and I feel better now. Glucose used to make my arthritis worse but that has changed for the better now. As for the side effects, I used to feel shivers and lightheaded at times but the intensity of the side effects has reduced over the one month I have been using it. I don't know how long I will be taking this drug but I will keep updating you on my future progress.”

Cary · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2019

“Started taking Metformin ER 2 years ago for Insulin Resistance but found out later I also had PCOS. First time taking Metformin I had severe diarrhea that was uncontrollable. Now I always take with dinner and this seems to have resolved that issue. To be honest, not sure if I physically feel any different. My numbers look better from blood tests but I don't feel a difference when taking it.”

Berq · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2019

“Been on metformin for a month. Only first two days had a bad headache. When I started taking it I was 102kg heavy. Now I'm 94kg. But I mean when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance I quit alcohol, sugar and lactose. Started working out more. My endocrinologist told me to also take vitamin D and vitamin B12 so I guess that also helped. I have literally no side effects. I haven't felt happier and healthier in my life.”

Jillyn31 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2019

“My PCP prescribed this after I've had fluctuations in my A1C for a couple of years, despite diet changes & weight loss. It definitely has decreased my appetite & helped me lose a few pounds. Some issues I have with it are increased fatigue (I already have CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome), so didn't need this), diarrhea (I already have mixed type IBS, sooo...) & increased muscle pain (I already have fibromyalgia, etc, so didn't need this either) . I'm going to try to stick with it, but, not sure for how much longer.”

Tigerkc · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2018

“Dr said I was pre diabetic and prescribed Metformin 500 once per day. I take at night and the next morning I have severe uncontrollable diarrhea. I'm 50 male and had sudden cardiac arrest with no heartrate for over 40 minutes, only CPR. While in ICU unresponsive for 19 days, they now believe I also had a stroke. The metformin causes diarrhea so forceful, if not near a toilet, well I'm embarrassed to say, I end up with a stinky mess. I'm not taking this stuff anymore.”

Spud · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 21, 2018

“Side effects are stomach pains, queasiness, cold sweats and nightmares.”

YoUo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2018

“I found out I had PCOS and insulin resistance last year. I tried to lose weight naturally and without success. Started on metformin 500 twice a day after food and had terrible stomach problems plus depression. My husband noticed I was terribly low. Then doctor recommended 1000mg slow release and have felt fantastic for the last 3 months. Cravings gone, don’t feel lethargic after eating and have much more energy. I have lost 5kg of fat and been able to build muscle easily with a good meal plan. Very happy but wondering if I should go back to check my glucose tolerance again and if I can or should increase.”

Majeva December 7, 2017

“I've been taking Glucophage 750mg slow release for almost 2 months to regulate my insulin resistancy and 15 kg weight gain after giving a birth. Since then I have lost 5 kg which is really great since I am trying to lose weight for 5 years. I don't feel food cravings. The problem is that I have serious heart palpitations - arrythmias like skipping every 2nd 5th 10th beat. Sometimes I feel dizziness from palpitations. I stopped the medicine for 3 days and symptoms were almost gone. Then I started again med and Palpitations are back. I don't know what to do since I really need to treat my insulin resistancy. I have in my family diabetes, stroke and heart disease and I am only 40 now.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2017

“Stomach pain, nausea, weakness, lethargy”

JP35 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2017

“I am very cautious about new medications, but I started taking metformin 6 months ago (no cost at my drugstore) for impaired glucose tolerance and I feel so much better! It helped curb my appetite and I am eating much healthier - I have lost 15 pounds, due not just to the metformin, but also healthier eating and increased exercise. Another positive is that I have a decrease in the number of migraine headache episodes that I had before I started metformin. Again, a combination of meds and healthier lifestyle habits.”

Sadaf butt May 22, 2017

Glucophage (metformin): “I didn't have such a good experience with it. Whenever I take it after breakfast as my doctor prescribed me, i feel nausea and dizziness. In the starting days I felt severe weakness and pain in my backbone and in my whole body but as the time passed my feelings are getting changed just like I like feel vomiting even during sleep. I feel like my heart comes out, I feel dizziness too much and feel blah. I'm worried about my condition because it is necessary to take this medicine but the side effects are making my life like hell.”

Hannah19986 January 9, 2017

“When I first started taking this medication, it was horrible. I had extreme fatigue, stomach cramping, abnormal bowel movements, and even threw up blood a few times. Despite all of this, I lowered my dosage but stayed on the medication and I've never felt better. After around 3 weeks of that, I started feeling normal and dropping weight. I'm down 25lbs combined with only a healthy diet. It suppresses my appetite, but not enough to cause any harm. I am on 500mg 2x a day. Give the medication a chance a lot of people have to take it for a couple months for it to work properly.”

I was on the dru for 2 months. December 22, 2016

“In general I have loose stools, but while on the drug, a sneeze or cough and I would soil myself. This became such a problem I didn't want to leave the house. I never lost any weight during my time on this medication.”

Nanel · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2016

“I took Metformin Hcl ER 500 mg 2xday, for 2 years. I never felt quite well w it, especially the constant fatigue. So I stopped. Now , 11/16, I was prescribed it again, & almost immediately became lethargic, weak, plus experienced extreme muscle pain & stiffness in quadriceps (frontal thigh muscles) which caused my legs to become so weak & stiff, walking was difficult.”

FishNet07 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2016

“I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg 2x/day for insulin resistance 5 weeks ago. I am down 15 pounds in a month (but still 85 to go) and have more energy to be more active in my daily life and energy to actually exercise (before I was always in pain and fatigued). I also am on a very strict diet of absolutely no carbs and low in fat/calories, so I can't be certain the success is due to Metformin. Also, this is the first time I have been prescribed meds for Type II diabetes so I cannot comment on how Metformin would be compared to, say, Invokana. However, I am pleased with it. This is not a magic pill for weight loss; I have also had to change my eating habits and level of activi”

Sweetness65 September 22, 2016

“Since taking this med I am experiencing severe spasms in my right side. Its not my appendix. It is spasms that vary in duration and intensity, feels just like ovarian cyst. Have no ovaries anymore. Anyone experiencing this?”

Michelle714 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2016

“I started metformin April 28, 2016. The first two weeks I was taking 1000 mg each morning after Breakfast. My doctor then added an additional 1000 mg each morning on the third week. I experienced very mild nausea and stomach upset, going into the fifth week I started having this weird thing to happen...as I took steps in walking I would get this quick catch pain on the inside of my upper thigh to the right of my pubic where the leg connects...and I would be afraid to take long strides. I did lose 9 pounds in thirty days. I'm not craving too many sweets as my appetite has diminished.”

Learn more about Insulin Resistance Syndrome