User Reviews for Metformin to treat Insulin Resistance Syndrome

Also known as: Glumetza, Riomet Riomet ER

Metformin has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings for the treatment of Insulin Resistance Syndrome. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Metformin Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Insulin Resistance Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin

Grateful February 23, 2020

“Found out I was insulin resistant after a 2 hour glucose test. My Dr prescribed Glucophage which I was very apprehensive of taking. I happen to suffer from severe anxiety and bouts of depression. After taking this drug, my life changed. No depression, no anxiety and no brain fog. I didn't experience any negative side effects. This has literally changed my life. No psychiatrist has ever been able to cure my anxiety. Happy to say I am cured. Anxiety and depression free for the first time in 15 years”

CoolMomLes March 15, 2015

“Life changing! 500 mg 1x/ day, and low carb diet ( 7+/- servings a day and when I started, I was 375 lbs) very compliant, 60 lb loss in 60 days, added daily hour of cardio (Zumba), continued and in 24 months lost 150 lbs. ALL side effects of metformin are indicators that you're eating too many carbs. A doctor that prescribes metformin that doesn't also prescribe a low carb diet is being absurd. I've been amazed at how many people I've talked to over the years that have had that happen. Diarrhea, nausea, metallic taste, all mean you're eating the wrong things! They're not a reason to quit the meds. They're proof you need to eat low carb. 7 years later, still down 100, and increasing dose to continue losing.”

Vrh · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2021

“I’ve been on this medication for a small period of time. I’m taking 1000 mg of IR per day and so far none of those scary side effects many people have mentioned. I’ve had mild stomach cramps and nausea that lasts maybe 10 minutes of the day. Definitely a reduce in appetite however. I also am having less mood swings, thank goodness. I’m really hoping this will help with weight loss! I will update this review in a month or two.”

QueenQ2 September 12, 2019

“Feeling energized, my skin, hair and nails look flawless, my mood has improved tremendously, I feel prettier and somehow sexier. I'm even turning some heads at the stop lights lol Not carving for sweets and not feeling hungry at night. Eating half of my usual portions because I feel plenty after a few bites. No headaches or dizziness just a little stomach looseness. I'm always thirsty which is good because I'm drinking 1.5 lit of water when I was used to 500 ml only.My belly looks definitely less bloated. I love you metformin <3”

Dani1995 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“Hello I'd like to share my experience. I have a mental illness and the meds I'm on caused me to gain a little extra weight. There was no way I wanted to change my mental health meds as I didn't want to fall back into hospital again. Anyway cut the story short I was prescribed metformin months ago. I was 98.2kg I am now 93.5kg I am happy I am losing the weight I have cut down on all the junk foods and added more fruit and salads to my diet. It also has helped me with waking up during the night and wanting to eat. I hope to lose more but time will tell.”

Jill · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

“Been on metformin 5 days for insulin resistance, no side effects so far. Except I am extremely happy, is this a happy pill? My SSRI never came close to this when I was on it. Seriously good mood and no anxiety.”

Aonghus · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

“I have low testosterone, high blood pressure , and over-weight {291lbs}) for the past 20 years. I started Metformin in mid-January and worked my way up to a dose of 2000mg per day. As of today (May 27, 2020), I have lost a total of 53 pounds and it has reduced my appetite by more than half. My blood pressure is starting to drop to the point of needing to have my meds adjusted. I am mountain biking again. I am feeling great. I have some of the side effects, but they are minimal. All my issues seem to have a connection to insulin resistance. I suggest doing your own research and talking to your doctor. Based on my research online, It seems this amount of weight loss is highly unusual.”

Stevehami September 6, 2014

“My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back.”

Ashlynnmaries March 30, 2015

“I've only been on Metformin for about a month and a half, I've lost about 12lbs, which is pretty cool, because I've never had any success with calorie counting or different diets. I do have stomach cramps, occasional diarrhea, and dizziness but nothing too bad. Im only on 500mg twice daily. I'm actually really amazed with this medication, it makes me feel fine, I have my energy back, not constantly craving sweets and caffeine, overall I have to give it a ten.”

Hannah19986 January 9, 2017

“When I first started taking this medication, it was horrible. I had extreme fatigue, stomach cramping, abnormal bowel movements, and even threw up blood a few times. Despite all of this, I lowered my dosage but stayed on the medication and I've never felt better. After around 3 weeks of that, I started feeling normal and dropping weight. I'm down 25lbs combined with only a healthy diet. It suppresses my appetite, but not enough to cause any harm. I am on 500mg 2x a day. Give the medication a chance a lot of people have to take it for a couple months for it to work properly.”

Chrissy V · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

“OK so I am prediabetic and on Day 4 of metformine. So far so good. My energy level's increased. Slight reduction in appetite. I hope this keeps up, I'd like to loose weight and found it a challenge with my insulin spiking throughout the day. I'd get hungry, craving starchy foods in the later part of my days which made it difficult to keep up with my diets. With metformin, I don't think of food as much. I am more mindful of my food intakes.”

LillySos · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2014

Glucophage (metformin): “So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible.”

Texxan April 1, 2012

“My endocrinologist put me on Metformin for what he diagnosed as metabolic syndrome. My general physician sent me to him because he thought I was pre-diabetic. My triglycerides were through the roof....3500 at one point! Prior to starting Metformin I had worked on improving my diet, watching calories and quality of foods I ate and I had seen some moderate weight loss. Once on the metformin, my triglycerides dropped 90% (from 3500 to 350) and the pounds began to drop away....several pounds every few weeks to the point that I am down 42 pounds (from 220 down to 178) in about 4 months. All while still battling my alcohol consumption at 7 to 10 beers a night (99 calories a piece) which is 750 to 1000 calories per night.”

Berq · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2019

“Been on metformin for a month. Only first two days had a bad headache. When I started taking it I was 102kg heavy. Now I'm 94kg. But I mean when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance I quit alcohol, sugar and lactose. Started working out more. My endocrinologist told me to also take vitamin D and vitamin B12 so I guess that also helped. I have literally no side effects. I haven't felt happier and healthier in my life.”

vjm July 28, 2013

“I had been prescribed metformin for weight loss and being pre-diabetic. My GP wanted to treat it aggressively. Also slightly hypoglycemic. I had taken it religiously for about 2 mos. then went off it due to it gave me a metallic taste in my mouth and I just couldn't stand it anymore. For the last month almost everyday, I've felt shaky, weak, fatigued and just weird whenever I was hungry and after almost every meal. (My blood sugar sometimes goes down way too low after eating). I decided this morning that maybe I should be back on the metformin so I took 1 at breakfast. Well I don't know if 1 pill can do it, but within an hour I've felt better than I have in months. The shaky weak feeling completely went away and I had a ton of energy since.”

tdl86 August 3, 2011

“I have been taking this medication for 5 years now. It has lowered my insulin levels but they still aren't normal. I have lost 75 pounds and my menstrual cycles has returned to normal. I went almost a year without one at all. I also have hypothyroidism and I think my positive results are from it. I take two 500mg pills twice a day. I have to eat with it or else I will get sick. ”

sheerla May 15, 2009

“Metformin is helping me drastically in that it controls my insulin resistance. First side effects were gas and diarreah, and some bad breath, but those have gone away. I recommend this to anyone who has sugar problems!”

nodoccouldhelpme · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

“Had a miscarriage and went up 5 to 7kg in a matter of days. Then would diet and exercise to extreme and come down a 1 or 2 kg after many weeks then suddenly I'd balloon again 5 to 7kg. So just kept getting bigger. Docs kept saying diet exercise. Also had very hard stomach and bloating. Swelling in hands and feet. So bad couldn't wear shoes. Got put on Metformin. Didn't really change diet or exercise and dropped 4.4kg in 12 days. Am told miscarriage caused insulin spike. I am overweight and prior to this incident had slow and steady lost over 60kg but found it a huge slog. Lots of work minimal reward. I am not diabetic. My sugars are normal. All very odd. Any thoughts?”

Mimi July 12, 2021

“I have been on metformin 500 mg since 2015, weighed 212 pounds at 5 foot 2. I was exercising at a gym 2 hours a day 5 days a week.This was pre-pandemic, I kept a food, weight & exercise diary. Dr prescribed a dose of three 500 mg tablets of Metformin a day, 1 pill to be taken with each meal. I don't eat 3 meals a day, I only eat when my tummy growls. I eat protein, salad with oil & vinegar. Absolutely no wine or alcohol. I eliminated carbs with exception of fresh fruit. Experienced extreme gas, bloating, & felt terrible since 2015. I have lost 72 pounds and my doctor wishes for me to continue taking one meformin 500 mg a day. I declined and haven't taken it for the past 3 days & my husband noticed I was happier, perkier, had more energy. I never felt this suppressed my appetite, this medicine made sick with diarrhea, the most vile gas, bloating and most recently throwing up bile. I live on salads alone with my own homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar and oil.”

JP35 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2017

“I am very cautious about new medications, but I started taking metformin 6 months ago (no cost at my drugstore) for impaired glucose tolerance and I feel so much better! It helped curb my appetite and I am eating much healthier - I have lost 15 pounds, due not just to the metformin, but also healthier eating and increased exercise. Another positive is that I have a decrease in the number of migraine headache episodes that I had before I started metformin. Again, a combination of meds and healthier lifestyle habits.”

anaheart November 2, 2013

“Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal.”

SashaQ · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2016

“I started a daily dose of 1000 mg Metformin about 3 weeks ago. I take 500 mg with breakfast and 500 with dinner. I have already noticed more mental clarity and energy, and a few pounds starting to come off. The first 2 weeks, I didn't have any negative symptoms (it was wonderful!!!) But now, as it is becoming more absorbed into my system, I'm having extreme nausea and dizziness. I supplement this with extremely large amounts of water and protein when I feel this way. It seems to help slightly and it eventually passes within an hour or so, but I'm hoping these side effects will pass when my body becomes truly adjusted. Aside from that, I'm very grateful for the positive effects of Metformin!!”

Maggie April 20, 2021

“I have been on Metformin 500mg twice a day . I have taken it for almost 2 years now. I am also a 5 bypass heart patient with 4 Stents. I have high Cholesterol and I am a Diabetic with Psoriatic Arthritis. I started off at 170lbs dieting, exercising every day. Since I started the Metformin , I have gained all my weight back. I am miserable and now I’m at 193lbs.I am getting depressed. I don’t know what to do now.”

FishNet07 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2016

“I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg 2x/day for insulin resistance 5 weeks ago. I am down 15 pounds in a month (but still 85 to go) and have more energy to be more active in my daily life and energy to actually exercise (before I was always in pain and fatigued). I also am on a very strict diet of absolutely no carbs and low in fat/calories, so I can't be certain the success is due to Metformin. Also, this is the first time I have been prescribed meds for Type II diabetes so I cannot comment on how Metformin would be compared to, say, Invokana. However, I am pleased with it. This is not a magic pill for weight loss; I have also had to change my eating habits and level of activi”

Ren October 6, 2019

“Been taking the max dose of Metformin for almost two years now despite being non-diabetic and a young female within a “normal” BMI range. Diagnosed with “prediabetes” by my endo and has never officially crossed threshold for diabetes since being on Metformin. There’s definitely an adjustment curve when beginning this medication; it’s been a while but I remember the first few weeks were full of INTENSE cramping, nausea, gas, loose stools, and strangely enough, back pain. The loose stools don’t really go away but all the other symptoms have pretty much subsided. Despite its unattractive side effects it has really helped me stabilize my weight (I was randomly gaining exponentially) and even curbed cravings. Thinking about talking with my doc to lower the dosage though because I’ve noticed that it’s starting to make me intolerant to alcohol and certain other medications.”

Learn more about Insulin Resistance Syndrome