User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Insulin Resistance Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Insulin Resistance Syndrome

"Stomach pain, nausea, weakness, lethargy"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am very cautious about new medications, but I started taking metformin 6 months ago (no cost at my drugstore) for impaired glucose tolerance and I feel so much better! It helped curb my appetite and I am eating much healthier - I have lost 15 pounds, due not just to the metformin, but also healthier eating and increased exercise. Another positive is that I have a decrease in the number of migraine headache episodes that I had before I started metformin. Again, a combination of meds and healthier lifestyle habits."

JP35 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin): "I didn't have such a good experience with it. Whenever I take it after breakfast as my doctor prescribed me, i feel nausea and dizziness. In the starting days I felt severe weakness and pain in my backbone and in my whole body but as the time passed my feelings are getting changed just like I like feel vomiting even during sleep. I feel like my heart comes out, I feel dizziness too much and feel blah. I'm worried about my condition because it is necessary to take this medicine but the side effects are making my life like hell."

Sadaf butt May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started taking this medication, it was horrible. I had extreme fatigue, stomach cramping, abnormal bowel movements, and even threw up blood a few times. Despite all of this, I lowered my dosage but stayed on the medication and I've never felt better. After around 3 weeks of that, I started feeling normal and dropping weight. I'm down 25lbs combined with only a healthy diet. It suppresses my appetite, but not enough to cause any harm. I am on 500mg 2x a day. Give the medication a chance a lot of people have to take it for a couple months for it to work properly."

Hannah19986 January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In general I have loose stools, but while on the drug, a sneeze or cough and I would soil myself. This became such a problem I didn't want to leave the house. I never lost any weight during my time on this medication."

I was on the dru for 2 months. December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Metformin Hcl ER 500 mg 2xday, for 2 years. I never felt quite well w it, especially the constant fatigue. So I stopped. Now , 11/16, I was prescribed it again, & almost immediately became lethargic, weak, plus experienced extreme muscle pain & stiffness in quadriceps (frontal thigh muscles) which caused my legs to become so weak & stiff, walking was difficult."

Nanel (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg 2x/day for insulin resistance 5 weeks ago. I am down 15 pounds in a month (but still 85 to go) and have more energy to be more active in my daily life and energy to actually exercise (before I was always in pain and fatigued). I also am on a very strict diet of absolutely no carbs and low in fat/calories, so I can't be certain the success is due to Metformin. Also, this is the first time I have been prescribed meds for Type II diabetes so I cannot comment on how Metformin would be compared to, say, Invokana. However, I am pleased with it. This is not a magic pill for weight loss; I have also had to change my eating habits and level of activi"

FishNet07 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since taking this med I am experiencing severe spasms in my right side. Its not my appendix. It is spasms that vary in duration and intensity, feels just like ovarian cyst. Have no ovaries anymore. Anyone experiencing this?"

Sweetness65 September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started metformin April 28, 2016. The first two weeks I was taking 1000 mg each morning after Breakfast. My doctor then added an additional 1000 mg each morning on the third week. I experienced very mild nausea and stomach upset, going into the fifth week I started having this weird thing to happen...as I took steps in walking I would get this quick catch pain on the inside of my upper thigh to the right of my pubic where the leg connects...and I would be afraid to take long strides. I did lose 9 pounds in thirty days. I'm not craving too many sweets as my appetite has diminished."

Michelle714 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage XR (metformin): "Blood glucose and HbA1C were normal. LDL cholesterol and triglycerides were low HDL cholesterol increased. There was weight loss with metformin."

arnsussek (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started a daily dose of 1000 mg Metformin about 3 weeks ago. I take 500 mg with breakfast and 500 with dinner. I have already noticed more mental clarity and energy, and a few pounds starting to come off. The first 2 weeks, I didn't have any negative symptoms (it was wonderful!!!) But now, as it is becoming more absorbed into my system, I'm having extreme nausea and dizziness. I supplement this with extremely large amounts of water and protein when I feel this way. It seems to help slightly and it eventually passes within an hour or so, but I'm hoping these side effects will pass when my body becomes truly adjusted. Aside from that, I'm very grateful for the positive effects of Metformin!!"

SashaQ (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication about 3 years up until recently no problem it helped me to lose weight and manage my insulin resistance well. Then I got rare serious side effect lactic acidosis which occurs in 1 out of 10,000 people. unlucky me. now after being treated for the lactic acidosis I try to take the medication again and it makes me feel really unwell and ill. I miss being able to take it. Maybe I will be able to take something different instead because I can't leave my Insulin Resistance uncontrolled."

SIRS October 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Metformin can be harsh on the stomach but if it does not agree with you after a few weeks please please please ask for slow release version, your problems will be solved."

Jul1e October 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm giving this a 2 because I've lost some weight. To be honest, it's likely that I've lost weight because of the low carb diet I'm now in to "manage" the side effects of Metformin. This medicine is life ruining. I've become a shut in (I only go to work now) because of the constant no-warning need to use the bathroom. I'm trying to stick with it, but it's awful."

BBBH (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fortamet (metformin): "Excellent med. Tolerate perfectly. Very much improves my glucose intolerance. Improves my mood as well and high improvement in my quality of life."

jayless May 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took anti-depressants for over 25 years. Had given up when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. A friendly doctor prescribed 1,500mg Metformin daily. Great relief from my symptoms which only later were discovered to be the result of Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I am 66."

Glasgow Scot (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on Metformin for about a month and a half, I've lost about 12lbs, which is pretty cool, because I've never had any success with calorie counting or different diets. I do have stomach cramps, occasional diarrhea, and dizziness but nothing too bad. Im only on 500mg twice daily. I'm actually really amazed with this medication, it makes me feel fine, I have my energy back, not constantly craving sweets and caffeine, overall I have to give it a ten."

Ashlynnmaries March 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Life changing! 500 mg 1x/ day, and low carb diet ( 7+/- servings a day and when I started, I was 375 lbs) very compliant, 60 lb loss in 60 days, added daily hour of cardio (Zumba), continued and in 24 months lost 150 lbs. ALL side effects of metformin are indicators that you're eating too many carbs. A doctor that prescribes metformin that doesn't also prescribe a low carb diet is being absurd. I've been amazed at how many people I've talked to over the years that have had that happen. Diarrhea, nausea, metallic taste, all mean you're eating the wrong things! They're not a reason to quit the meds. They're proof you need to eat low carb. 7 years later, still down 100, and increasing dose to continue losing."

CoolMomLes March 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and put on Metformin (1000mg twice a day.) I keep hearing that people are losing weight with this medicine; however, I have been taking it for a year and still no weight loss. WHY??? My doctor even stated, "Hum, your not losing any weight". "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome and prescribed 4 metformin a day by an Endocrinologist after being misdiagnosed by our GP for hypothyroidism for months and being extremely tired and depressed. He had gained so much belly fat...and was 207 and 5ft 3 in!, not good. But after being one month on the Metformin he lost 20 lbs. this was in addition to limiting carbs in his diet. He feels so much better. He has so much more energy. And the weight continues to melt right off of his belly. We are so glad we decided to go to the Endocrinologist. He was spot on! In a few months I will have my slim husband back."

Stevehami September 6, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin): "I have been on this tablet for 6 months for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and I am now getting period every 28 days on the spot! But 6 months into it I am starting to feel something like a blockage and feeling nausea and vomiting, this normally happens after my dose after dinner time. I am on 1500mg a day and doctor tells me no way it could be the tablet so now have to go for a scope. "

flicka30 May 25, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin): "Side effects had a tremendous role in decreasing quality of life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Glucophage (metformin): "So far, I have been on Glucophage for 2 1/2 weeks for Insulin Resistance due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had a little nausea and diarrhea the first two days. By day three or four, I had no more negative side effects. It worked very quickly, I quickly began to lose weight and started menstruating again. My skin also began to clear up within the first week. Glucophage helps so many of the terrible issues caused by PCOS. I need more time to better evaluate the medicine, but so far it is like a miracle. If it is taken with food, the side effects are negligible."

LillySos (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this medication about 3 months ago because I'm prediabetic, I had no side effects & has worked great"

tiarra (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Metformin they say makes you hyper-fertile. Yea, I agree. My hormones got a little wacky for a week or so. I've calmed down now and feel pretty good. I take the dose up slow, only one 500mg pill for seven days before adding one more 500 mg for another seven and so forth until I reach four pills a day. I noticed that without using any lantus that my blood sugar readings were lower. Not low enough however to discontinue the lantus. I noticed while on lantus alone I never felt all that chipper. When I started the metformin my moods improved dramatically and I became a much happier person. The diarrhea did not last long, but did return when I increased the dose. Getting used to the pils nowl and bowels returned to normal."

anaheart November 2, 2013