User Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Also known as: Glumetza, Riomet Riomet ER

Metformin has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 228 ratings for the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. 66% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Metformin Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin

Sid January 21, 2020

“Guys don’t give up. I took Metformin 4 and half years ago for my PCSO as I was trying to conceive. I did one round of clomid and fell pregnant but had an ectopic pregnancy and had my right side tube removed. Then a year later we went for IVF round and that was unsuccessful. I gave my self some time to recover from the heart ache. My doctor recommended me to take Metformin to regulate my period. I started with 3 tables a day 1500mg, I experienced nausea for first 2/3 week I did lose few pounds but was never overweight (BMI 24). I started taking tablets in January and period starts to regulate after two months. Me and husband had appointment for second round of IVF in June 15 and I decide to do a pregnancy test in June 2015 as I was feeling very tried and to my surprise it came out positive. I took Metformin for 5 months to give me a miracle baby after one test tube baby. My baby was born on time and healthy. He is turning 4 years old next month.”

Mason25 · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2014

“My story is similar to those who have posted. I gained A LOT of weight, and had unwanted hair growth due to the polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been on metformin for almost 3 weeks and have lost 13lbs. The day I started the metformin, I also started a low carb diet. Prior to metformin, I couldn't control my craving for salty, carb filled food. For the past two and a half weeks I have been able to finally control the cravings. My energy levels have increased by 50%. I also waxed the unwanted hair the day I started, and already I have noticed that less is growing back in. I wish I started metformin two years ago because I literally feel like PCOS has taken two years of my life away from me! I hope it works for others as well as it has worked for me.”

Momtobe0728 · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“Metformin definitely works. Me and my husband been trying for almost a year before seeking for doctor help. Find out that I have PCOS. My OB doctor immediately put me on metformin 500mg for the first two weeks and increased it to 1000mg on the third week. I started on 6/28 and by 7/28 (the date that I will never forget in my entire life), I got a positive pregnancy test. That mean I got pregnant after 2 weeks by using Metformin along with eating healthy and working out 40 minutes per day. Ladies, don't ever give up and always keep your hope up. And most important thing is prayers. "Just ask, and you will received. Just knock, and the door will be opened."”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

“when I was 28 I took Metforman within a month I got pregnant. I have PCOS. I couldn't figure out why all these years I couldn't get pregnant. so the Dr done blood work. And it was my insulin because I have pcos. And now I am 30. I just started back taking the Metforman again because I'm trying to have another baby And I'm taking prenatal vitimans. Good luck on trying to get pregnant. Sending baby dust y'all's way. And mine.”

Elizabeth54321 March 3, 2015

“I'd like to share a very positive experience with Metformin. I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome after very irregular periods and anovulatory cycles. I already worked out regularly and was a healthy weight. My husband and I tried for a very long time to conceive and were starting to lose hope. My doctor prescribed 1500mg per day. I experienced mild stomach discomfort and no other side effects. The first month, my cycle length was cut in half and the second month, I got pregnant! I never thought the day would come that I would see a positive pregnancy test. I continued the Metformin through my first trimester and we now have a perfect baby boy. Keep your head up and give it a try...I am so thankful that I did! ”

Jo-ela October 28, 2014

“This medication has changed my life!!! I only regret that I did not take it sooner (like in my 20's) After suffering through years of acne and struggling to get pregnant when I wanted (frustrating business when your not ovulating at all) and people asking constantly if I was pregnant (due to my big fat tummy that I could NEVER get rid of...) I finally found Metformin. Now, not only has my skin cleared up, my weight also came off AND I was able to have my beautiful 4th child easily - because my periods have become bang on regular. I am so blessed to have had four children with polycystic ovarian syndrome but it was a long road trying for most of them. This medicine HAS changed my life in that it has given me ME back - the CONFIDENT ME I am supposed to be.”

MIRIELYIS · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2017

“I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 was always on birth control until this year now am 27 I went in to my obgyn and asked to get on metformin to regulate so I was prescribed 500mg four times a day sure enough my periods came like clock work and I was late this month took a test and got the BFP (A big fat positive pregnancy test) after taking it 6 months I finally conceived did not know this was a miracle pill I tried so many years and now my prayers were answered don't give up ladies there is hope am passing on baby dust to all of you... :)”

Pearls · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

“Started taking Metformin 2 weeks ago 1500mg daily to treat PCOS. Periods have improved significantly. Leg and back pain has completely disappeared and I have lost 10kg since starting Metformin, I didn't even manage to lose 1kg in 3 months while on a low calorie diet so that's great. My mood is much better and my facial hair and acne seems to have also disappeared. Feel like a completely different person on this medication.”

SweetL · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 26, 2019

“I started metformin when I had tried to conceive with no luck. I had had extremely irregular periods (9 months with no period, bleeding for months when I did get it) and within 3 months on metformin my cycle was perfect and I conceived on month 4. I stayed on it through my pregnancy and only gained 6lbs (I am very overweight). I had stomach side effects but I am so glad I stuck through them.. they went away completely”

AmazingTerri December 2, 2015

“I found out I had PCOS in 2013 after trying to get pregnant for 3 yrs! I had started to gain weight slowly over the course of a year "25lbs". My doctor started metformin in August of 2014 and by September dropped 10lbs and by December a total of 28lbs. I'm 5'2 and that brought me back to about 128, a healthy weight! I found out in Febuary of 2015 I was pregnant!!! I had a healthy baby boy in Oct 2015 and I believe it was metformin!!!”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

“I am all for Metformin for PCOS! Even with the side effects. I had awful acne, was quite overweight and was trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years. I started Metformin and 1) acne disappeared 2) got pregnant 2 months after starting 3) lost quite a bit of weight.”

DaniCandi · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2017

“I've been taking metformin for about 3 weeks . I lost over 20lbs so far. My starting weight was 240lbs and my current weight is 217lbs . I'm 24 yr old and I'm about 5"2'. I had no bad side effects on metformin.”

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

“I have PCOS and been taking metformin 2 tabs of 850mg for 2 months now. I feel like it was working at first since I did get my period 6 days after taking my first pill. My doctor had me take 1 pill for the first week and then 2 pills the second week and so on. I missed my period and I am not pregnant ? Has this happened to anyone else? Did metformin only give you a period the first month?”

Mommyfortwo March 11, 2016

“My husband and I were trying to have a child for seven years and we had no success. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I was put on Metformin. Four months later I was pregnant. It was such a wonder for us, as I had 2 cycles of Chlomid (unsuccessfully). I hope this will help someone else because infertility can be heartbreaking.”

Sila February 4, 2017

“This's my first time writing a review. I'm doing this today to share my experience with you beautiful ladies, who are having difficulties conceiving due to pcos. I'm 31, My period had been irregular since I was 14, Some times I don't menstruate for a whole year. I was misdiagnosed at first and in 2015 I had a proper diagnoses which happen to be pcos. My husband and I got married in 2014 since then we started trying to conceive with no luck for one year. My OBGYN put me on metformin 500mg daily, I took it for three months my period never came and I talk to my endocrinologist, she increased my dose gradually to 2500mg max. Two weeks later my period came and the following month I got pregnant with my daughter! She's 8months and 2 weeks”

Toria Lynn January 15, 2013

“I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 2 years ago. Unfortunately it took several doctors and a 150 pound weight gain for someone to realize what was going on. During the 2 years since I was diagnosed my doctor has had me try everything and nothing has helped. Finally she decide to give me metformin. I've been on it for 10 days now. I'm currently only up to 1000 mg, but I've already lost 5 pounds. I've hardly had any side effects. Also my facial hair growth has slowed and I'm breaking out less.”

Jaycee22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2019

“I was prescribed metformin twice. The first time was for pre-diabetes and also to help lose weight. I didn't follow through with it because of the smell of your urine the medicine makes you have (maybe it's just me). Anyway, the second time, I was older and diagnosed with PCOS because I had been TTC (trying to conceive) for years. My doctor advised me to lose weight to better my chances. It was a rough start with the loose stools and nausea, but once your body gets use to it, you will see! In 2 months I lost 20 pounds. I thought my scale was broken, but I noticed that clothes I was about to give to good will started to fit! Anyway, whatever your reason, hang in there. It definitely works wonders for your health. I'll let you decide.”

Sum21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2014

“Since my last child 5 years ago my body has been all out of whack piling on the weight, late periods or none at all for months on end, no matter how much I dieted and exercised the weight would not come off. My doctor diagnosed me with depression at first and took bloods to find out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been prescribed two 500mg doses a day of metformin and at first had quite a bad stomach upset for approximately the first 3 weeks. I am now rolling into my 5th week and feel great. The weights slowly coming off and the side effects are non existent now. Hoping to conceive a child soon if things go to plan.”

burbuja November 6, 2009

Glucophage (metformin): “My experience with metformin has been awesome. I have been using this medicine for about a year now and have has great results. I know have regular periods which is great because I used to get it every 15 days or miss months here and there. Another fantastic thing is that I can now function when I am menstruating which used to be impossible for me due to the horrible pain. I now have manageable pain and don't have to get shots for it. I've also been able to lose 77 lbs that I had gained. Overall I've had a wonderful experience with this medication. I believe that taking my doctor's advice was the best thing I ever did, I think the combination of the medicine, changed eating habits and exercise all helped.”

Sasha28 December 21, 2014

“I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age 14, now I am 28 y/o. 2012, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I've gained 30 lbs., which is hard to lose. So many years has passed before I started using metformin the regular and the extended version. My last period was back in May 2014. Today, Dec 2014, I started my first period and I am so excited about. Moving forward, my next step is to conceive, become diabetic free, and facial hair free. For years, my facial hair has caused low self esteem and shots at my confidence. A few times people on the radio, makes fun of women with beards and it's not easy hearing jokes about some health complications that I did not ask for. However, I feel like a complete woman today and I plan to keep updated.”

DesiKnecht August 31, 2015

“I was way over weight I hated the way I looked and the way I felt. Then I had a small stroke and I then found out that I also had type 2 diabetes. A few months later I had two heart attacks my doctor put me on metformin to help with my sugar but I started losing weight slowly. I also started working out a little at a time. Now to date I have lost 92 pounds with in a year. Metformin may not work as well for you if you don't work out and go for walks but if you watch what you eat and how much slowly reduce the amount of food you eat go for walks and work out metformin will help , the first few weeks can be hard as your body adjust to it but that will pass. I feel great - I got my health back thank you metformin for the help !”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2012

“I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 weeks ago. My ob put me on Metformin. When I first started taking it the nausea was bothersome but a couple days in, it was gone. I have been taking this for 10 days now and have lost 7 lbs! I am now taking 1000mg a day and have no negative side effects.”

Jessica October 18, 2019

“I am currently taking Metformin. I was prescribed it in June for PCOS. I am 23 years old. I can honestly say, I didn't get consistent with taking until September to now. I am currently on day 29 of bleeding (menstrual). I am kind of a mess emotionally and just want to stop bleeding. I take 1000mg a day metformin. Considering upping to 2000mg as the doctor recommended in the first place, it just took time to get my body to stop having the side effects. IDK at this point how I feel about Metformin. My acne has gotten wayyy better. That's one benefit. I just really need to lose weight. I also just want to stop bleeding. I'm just over it. It's starting to depress me. Thanks for letting me vent. I need friends who are going through PCOS. I could really use some support. For support group Google: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Support Group in drugs.com”

Julz · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

“***TAKE WITH FOOD IF YOU HAVE DIARRHEA **** !!!!!! At first this medication gave me such terrible diarrhea and other stomach pains, but then my nurse practitioner told me try it with a meal and omg its like I don't feel sick anymore!! Also try to take it with your biggest meal! I've been on it for about 2 months and a half & with a little diet and excerscise I've lost 15lbs !! I'm 5’3 started at 218 now 203 !”

Waseela · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

“I am 27 and I have PCOS and endometriosis.I was told to lose 20kg before I could be operated to remove the endo. My doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg for the first week and thereafter increase it to 1000mg a day. It's my 9th day of being on Metformin and I have lost 2.25kg in this time. My goal is to get to 55kg and I'm currently 71kg. I haven't really experienced the awful diarrhoea however I have been getting crazy heart palpitations. Also,when I increased the dosage I found that within the day I would experience some bad stomach cramps but that's about it. Hoping to achieve my weight loss.”

Learn more about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome