User Reviews for Metformin

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metformin.

Metformin Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Metformin to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

"Hey OP sorry I didn't read through the thread so not sure if anyone mentioned this but I used to take regular metformin 500mg 2x per day but like you I would be on and off cause it literally made me so sick and tired. But recently my new doctor recommended metformin extended release. I swear it's been a life changer for me. I take 500 mg per day and I've been losing weight and it doesn't make me feel sick at all! I've also been taking biotin simultaneously which has increased my overall mood and energy, not to mention my hair and nails have been growing too!"

Helman (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I've been on Metformin off and on for years. I had no idea it was supposed to help with weight. Honestly, when I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 my doctor made it sound like I just needed to lose weight and it would go away. I was also 21 and had no idea how to advocate for myself. When I walked out of the Dr.s office I thought I was informed on everything I needed to know. So as I'm reading these posts I'm shocked! I've been sitting at 220lb for years. I do Crossfit, I eat well and my job is very active. I naively got off of Metformin because of the nausea and bowel discomfort I was experiencing. I've never given it more than a month. I started taking it again 3 days ago. 850mg twice a day. I'm encouraged and hope to see some changes"

smayruss August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on metformin for 6 months at 500mg and I've only lost 7 pounds. First off, I'm 5'9 and 152 pounds. I started at 159 pounds. My goal is to get to 140lb and get pregnant considering that's what my doctor suggested. I have tried everything to loose weight, I literally ate lettuce and excercised like crazy prior to trying metformin, nothing worked. I even looked at liposuction. I didn't have any diarrhea, sometimes when I ate too much I felt nauseous on the medication. However, the medicine helps curb your appetite. I barely ate anything. Maybe I had eggs in the morning, no bread. Lunch soup with salad and at night nuts and yogurt. I can't believe I only lost 7 pounds. I'm still NOT pregnant, yet I do I have regular periods."

Jessica81213 July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking metformin for about 3 weeks . I lost over 20lbs so far. My starting weight was 240lbs and my current weight is 217lbs . I'm 24 yr old and I'm about 5"2'. I had no bad side effects on metformin."

DaniCandi (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PCOS at 14 was always on birth control until this year now am 27 I went in to my obgyn and asked to get on metformin to regulate so I was prescribed 500mg four times a day sure enough my periods came like clock work and I was late this month took a test and got the BFP (A big fat positive pregnancy test) after taking it 6 months I finally conceived did not know this was a miracle pill I tried so many years and now my prayers were answered don't give up ladies there is hope am passing on baby dust to all of you... :)"

MIRIELYIS (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started my period when I was 11, went through cycles like a normal pre-teen, and then when I was 13 my period stopped. After a few months I mentioned it to my pediatrician, who referred me to an OBGYN, and then a pediatric endocrinologist. Because I was so young, I chose to forgo BC and do metformin, started out at 500mg/day. Lost 40 pounds and felt great, periods came back to every 35-40 days. However, after a while, the medication stopped working and I was put up to 1000mg, then eventually 1500mg. Once I was older I switched to BC because the metformin stopped working. Liked that I lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but then it just stopped. I'm on it again now after 3 years to lower my free testosterone, and it's ok."

rafb (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16 and at the age 18 I was told I would never conceive a child let alone carry to full term because of my PCOS. I have been on metformin sense then I am now 29 yrs old and just had my 3rd child all because of metformin. I'm not going to lie this medication has its ups and downs but I've learned over the years to take it an 1hr before my meals and always on time never skip a dose. I am now dropping weight like butter and I am currently on microgestin for birth control methods."

Teri Ruiz (taken for 10 years or more) June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Metformin is for 'PCOS type 1', insulin resistant, becoming insulin resistant, prediabetic or diabetic. If you're like me & have no diabetes/non-insulin resistance, you're 'PCOS type 2'. This great drug is NOT for us! My ex PCP & ex Endo both pushed this on me. I took it for almost two years. Over a 2yr span I developed every symptom of hypothyroidism, goitre & my PCOS went crazy! I lost 60% of my hair, choking in my sleep from the goitre & zero energy. I gained 80lbs & my Doctors couldn't figure out why. Got a new Endo, stopped Metformin! I'm dropping weight & Goitre/hypo GONE! Full Thyroid panel was always perfect btw. Google "5 types of PCOS"!"

Nyk (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on metformin since the beginning of this year and still have no luck with getting pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's. I ended up losing weight and got pregnant with my first child at 24 had him at 25. Now my child is 2 and my hunny and I are trying to baby #2. My obgyn had me had 500mg twice daily and slowly now I am at 500mg four times daily. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I was on birth control to help with my cycle but was told to stop taking it since I am trying to conceive. I will be 28 in Aug and praying we get our 2nd child. Wish us luck and yall ladies are in my prayers."

Evie210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24, I wasn't taken anything. I'm now 25 due to how my period being missing for 3 months lately, I gained about 25 pounds plus unable to give my husband a child , my doctor now prescribe metformin and a weight loss plan. I have being taking it for 2 weeks now, trying to eat healthy and exercising.. please wish me luck"

Jodi25 May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before, I am having my period every four months and gained so much weight from 65kg to 75kg so I consulted obgyn about it. I was diagnosed with PCOS, so I take metformin for once a day every night. And then twice a day everyday. Now I am having my period every month. Thanks to metformin!"

Derence April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 26 and have PCOS. I use this medication when trying to conceive. I have been TTC for 12 months and nothing was happening so my doctor prescribed me Metformin 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I only had to take the medication for 2 months before I was pregnant. The medication does give me diarrhea at the beginning of starting it but I suffer from chronic constipation so I sort of don't mind that side effect in a weird way. I do notice I am losing a little bit of weight as I take this medication as well."

AshleyS. April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PCOS at 22 I am now 29, I have had regular periods due to birth control, but my doctor mentioned metformin for me to go on because My husband and I want to start a family. I have read some successful stories and I am so glad to see them. I was 280 lbs at one point, I was sad, and hated myself for being that big but I got through it. I started going to the gym and trying to eat better, I lost 80 and then some but I have put back on about 15 and pushed be back to 200lbs and it's hard to keep the weight off. At the gym 5 times a week soon, trying to get healthy to have a baby besides going on the medication. Wish me luck!!"

Dani1025 April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was having good results with no side effects for years until the drug companies wanted to produce it at a cheaper cost. Drugs are now mostly made in India and China. I am extremely allergic to some of the inactive ingrediants. Stomach issues, body rash, swelling and bleeding skin around the eyes and leg pain. I am now forced to use metformin in a liquid form that is made at a local compound pharmacy to avoid impurities at a cost of $70 a month for a twice daily dose."

Change in med ingrediants (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible. Horrible migraines, hot flashes, stomach pain, diarrhea. Just horrible"

Solpcos (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with PCOS at the end of my junior year in high school. I am 24 years old now at first I was just given spironolactone and birth control to treat my PCOS because I would have periods every other week. I kept gaining weight I was 127 pounds when I first got diagnosed and now up to 171 pounds. Went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago to see if there was anything I could do to help me lose weight she prescribed me metformin ER 500 mg twice daily,I have only been on the medicine for about 2 weeks and haven't seen any weight changes but I have noticed that my appetite has been curbed some. I am hoping for the best with the medication."

light at the end of tunnel March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my first period when I was 11 and was regular up until I was 14 and then they stopped. Fast forward to 2015 and I hadn't had a period at all for 5 years. I decided to finally do something about it, I was actually enjoying the lack of periods to be honest! I had some tests done and the diagnosis of PCOS was confirmed. My doctor put me on metformin 500mg twice a day and I hated it. I was so nauseous for the first two weeks, frequent diarrhea and lots of dizziness but it all passed. After that I began to have more energy aaaaand my period came back. It makes you feel really gross at first but if you can survive the first few weeks you'll be all good!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi everyone, I usually got my period once in 3 months and when the Dr diagnosed me of PCOS in 2013, he prescribed metformin for me but it gave me serious gastrointestinal issues so I stopped it barely after 2 weeks. After I got married in 2015, we started TTC and along the line bumped into this page. I summoned courage and got metformin again by October 2016, this time I didn't mind the side effects but took it judiciously at 1500mg/day. My period became a tad regular and viola......we got a BFP in Feb 2017!!! In the end please don't forget to keep praying . Goodluck guys."

Trinity101 March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been struggling with PCOS for a long time but wasn't diagnosed till I was 23. I gained 30lbs (155lbs)and stayed that weight no matter what I tried for a few years. Then I got pregnant (no issues at this point) and had my son... but ballooned up to 211lbs during pregnancy and after I had him could only get down to 175lbs. Fast forward a few years and we were trying for 7 months to conceive a second time with no luck. Someone suggested I take Metformin so I tried it. Within 2 weeks I was pregnant. Now have a 4 month old little girl. Worked for me, and I am so thankful for it. I am going to go back on it after she turns 6 months cause now I need to lose weight badly and the acne is killing me. I'm 5'4 and 190lbs!"

Happymom83 February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was age 19 when diagnosed with PCOS . I did my research shortly before I sought medical help for it even though I did get a cycle every month. When I saw my gyn and told her about my research on metformin she prescribed me my own script . I took 1,000 mg twice daily for 30 days and felt great. I then conceived me daughter June of 2013 and had her March 2014. No problems taking it throughout pregnancy , it helps reduce the risk of miscarriage as well . And yes my Gyn gave me this info and benefits during pregnancy !"

Yvonne R February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 20 years old. A few months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, before I knew I had it I noticed that I couldn't loose any weight no matter how hard I tried. My doctor prescribed me Metformin and Spironolactone. When I first started the meds, I was vomiting a lot and diarrhea but I did see changes in my body, I started feeling lighter and I was loosing weight within a month. I'm in college so it was hard for me getting those side effects at school so I stopped it for a time. Now I started using it again because I want to loose weight hopefully it keeps working. Btw besides helping with weight metformin helps make you fertile. So if your not planning on having kids now, you should be on birth control too."

Matos (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am now 36 years old I had self dx myself with PCOS in Oct 2015 age 34.I have always had irregular periods what flagged me was the rapid weight gain, acne , no period for 3 mo,hair growth on my chin.At first I thought maybe I was pregnant I went to see my Dr explained all the issues and had a blood test and was negative although my testosterone levels were abnormally high mind you this is where the hair growth comes in. Just started seeing a new DR explained situation and I have started Metformin so far so good.Slight diarrhea for a day or two nothing big mind you the side effect is possible Gastro issues such as diarrhea. Out of all the reviews and talk with the Dr this is the best solution especially for someone wanting to conceive."

Torres18 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This's my first time writing a review. I'm doing this today to share my experience with you beautiful ladies, who are having difficulties conceiving due to pcos. I'm 31, My period had been irregular since I was 14, Some times I don't menstruate for a whole year. I was misdiagnosed at first and in 2015 I had a proper diagnoses which happen to be pcos. My husband and I got married in 2014 since then we started trying to conceive with no luck for one year. My OBGYN put me on metformin 500mg daily, I took it for three months my period never came and I talk to my endocrinologist, she increased my dose gradually to 2500mg max. Two weeks later my period came and the following month I got pregnant with my daughter! She's 8months and 2 weeks"

Sila February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with PCOS at 22. Had not had a period in about a year. Gained about 30 pounds in six months. Started metformin And started period six weeks later. No weight loss yet, but also no weight gain. Taking metformin at night 1500mg. Found out better to take in the evening with meals."

Eruh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 27, I was diagnosed with PCOS late 2013 my OB doctor requested to have a vaginal ultrasound to figure out what is going on because no menstration at 3months and negative pregnancy test then she found out that I having a PCOS the doctor prescribed me a pills but I used to it at least 2 months but because I was gaining weight then I'll stopped it. After 2 years, me and my soon to be husband plan to have a baby, I'll go to google to search what is best medicine to PCOS the google answered METFORMIN that time I have no menstration for 3months so I decided to take the metformin at first I take 500mg once a day for 1week, then after 2weeks 1000mg twice a day. I took this medicine almost 10 months from March 2016 to Jan 2017.. and now, I'm pregnant!!"

Adara January 21, 2017