User Reviews for Metformin (Page 3)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 102 reviews 135 medications

6.6
Summary of Metformin reviews 283 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have sat here and read all your reviews. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago to be honest haven't done much. I do have 2 kids. Why am i here? For those of you who want to have a baby you should try seed rotation along with your metformin. Pcos is a hormonal imbalance which the seeds WILL regulate allowing you to conceive. I have not started Metformin not until Sat but i do take my seeds regularly and have seen a decrease in hair growth (lighter eventually stopped) as well as weigth loss. I am not curently sexually active but i did recommend it to someone who was having trouble concieve and within 4 months they were pregnant. I am attaching a link so you can read further. Thanks and good luck to everyone!! Stay hopeful "

1001 Problems January 13, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have taken Metformin 500 mg once daily in the last 6 month. Finally I got to the Endocrinology and they put me on 2000 mg per day. Now I am slowly increasing the dose - I had bad diarrhoea, cramps and everything you can imagine! Hopefully the side effects will go away - because otherwise I have no problem with it. Slow but steady weight loss, no more food cravings, and crazy frustration if I can't get my hands on carbs. I noticed I don't really want to eat oily food,junk food....which is brilliant!"

Lonelycauliflower (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I found out I had PCOS in 2013 after trying to get pregnant for 3 yrs! I had started to gain weight slowly over the course of a year "25lbs". My doctor started metformin in August of 2014 and by September dropped 10lbs and by December a total of 28lbs. I'm 5'2 and that brought me back to about 128, a healthy weight! I found out in Febuary of 2015 I was pregnant!!! I had a healthy baby boy in Oct 2015 and I believe it was metformin!!!"

AmazingTerri December 2, 2015

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking metfromin 500mg 2x a day for my pcos.. and im taking this medication for 3 days now and i am experiencing diarrhea.. hopefully this side effect will be gone soon..."

ove24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

Glucophage (metformin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Seems diarrhea is main culprit with this med. Been taking it 20 months so far, as far as control of diabetes does not seem to have much affect on blood sugar"

Cothrom (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I am on slow release metformin (1500 mg), & since changing away from the regular type,12 years ago I have zero loose bowels. You must insist to have a chance to try this much better version, if frequently bothered by the standard pills. Even more important, Please look up this fairly obscure nutritional cap...PTEROSTILBENE. It has proven to be a near miracle to free me from diabetes symptoms. I still take metformin, & only a doctor call put you on that med. But it works pretty darn well...but if you take METF along with PTEROSTILBENE, diabetes is largely controlled. Almost like a true cure...except you have to continue both. Pterostibene is found in the skin of blueberries, and a few other plant sources. I take 2 50mg caps,daily. Morn.& night"

Allan the Vet November 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I found out I had PCOS about around June and its October. I am very over weight and I wanna lose weight but nothings working but this med helping keep my pcos under control I'm now taking 1000mg"

manda/nunu October 25, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I have been on this medication about 3 years up until recently no problem it helped me to lose weight and manage my insulin resistance well. Then I got rare serious side effect lactic acidosis which occurs in 1 out of 10,000 people. unlucky me. now after being treated for the lactic acidosis I try to take the medication again and it makes me feel really unwell and ill. I miss being able to take it. Maybe I will be able to take something different instead because I can't leave my Insulin Resistance uncontrolled."

SIRS October 14, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos and a bicornate uterus last year! I was put on metformin in the beginning of this year I started at 500mg 2xs a day it became to much and I was always sick so now I have been taken metformin extended release 500mg once a day at night and haven't gotten sick hopefully it works for my husband and I."

Mrs.JMC October 8, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I got diagnosed with PCOS in 7/15. Started metformin HCL ER 1000mg mid August for a week and then bumped up to 1500mg the next week. I am 5'4 and started at 197lb. Now on 10/7/15 I am at 184 so a 13lb loss. I did get diarrhea when I first started but that resolved it's self after a week. I find that I have very little appetite for greasy foods. If anything when I eat unhealthy food I get nauseous so I'm avoiding it now. I go to the gym every once in a while and still managed to loss weight! Meeting my doctor next week to see if weight loss pills are an option!"

Alvacx (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Metformin can be harsh on the stomach but if it does not agree with you after a few weeks please please please ask for slow release version, your problems will be solved."

Jul1e October 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This medicine does wonders with making my blood sugar lower; however, I had extreme diarrhea and I felt nauseous for awhile. My doctor put me on slow release and while it helped me with diarrhea, my blood sugar would always be higher so I switch back to the regular kind and I am still having extreme diarrhea. Other than that this medicine is great."

samobu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was diagnosed in 2010 as "borderline" Type 2 and given Met 500mg dose 1 x day at breakfast. I was overweight and already being treated for Hypothyroidism with Levothyroxine sodium. after several months on it I started losing muscle strength and tiring easily, sleeping in afternoons, something I'd never done before. My husband was also on it 2 or 3x 800 mg per day,I don't remember now, but having been diagnosed years earlier in UK. he was ok on it, despite also being on French equivalent of Warfarin, and something else, since his triple bypass op in 2008. So same drug doesn't always suit everyone, depending on other health factors. I ended up with a swollen spleen after taking Metformin, so took myself off it just B4 scan confirmed it!"

Sambs October 4, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22. I opted to have a child and there was no difficulty. PCOS didn't bother me not until the year 2013. My weight increased from 48kg to 55kg and this year 2015 to 66kg not to mention the acne and hair growths and infertility. Missed my periods for 6 month now. this causes me depression and insecurity. I am starting to take metformin today at 500mg/day and I am hoping that this will help me just like to others with PCOS.will update soon..."

sld29 September 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago with my lack of energy, weight gain and irregular periods. I started on 500mg/day, then slowly upped the dose to now taking 2000mg/day. I have been on 2000mg/day for over a month now and still feel awful side effects. I am always nauseous, burping, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhrea, reduced sex drive (due to previously mentioned side effects), joint pain, loss of appetite, weakness... the list goes on. I am already low weight so feeling ill and not having an appetite is concerning. Also my period has not become more regular and in fact has become worse. When I was on just 500mg/day I felt fantastic so the doctor kept increasing the dose. I think I will go back down to a lower dose or stop"

LMS77 September 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was way over weight I hated the way I looked and the way I felt. Then I had a small stroke and I then found out that I also had type 2 diabetes. A few months later I had two heart attacks my doctor put me on metformin to help with my sugar but I started losing weight slowly. I also started working out a little at a time. Now to date I have lost 92 pounds with in a year. Metformin may not work as well for you if you don't work out and go for walks but if you watch what you eat and how much slowly reduce the amount of food you eat go for walks and work out metformin will help , the first few weeks can be hard as your body adjust to it but that will pass. I feel great - I got my health back thank you metformin for the help !"

DesiKnecht August 31, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Following a miscarriage in November 2014, my Dr. had be on folic acid for 9 months before running some blood work tests. Found out I had PCOS the 20th of August after the results came back and started Metformin HCL the same day. I take 850 mg once a day and I found taking halfway through my meal has done away with 99% of the side effects. I know it's only been 10 days since I started it, but I feel less hungry and like I don't crave the junk food I did before. Here's to hoping it works!"

JWilson928 August 30, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have been on Metformin for years and up to 1000 with an A1C of 8.7 currently. Glucose at doctor's office 87 one day and at next follow up with family doctor was 186,,,endocrinologist prescribed Actos to get A1C down. Also on other meds. Lipitor, Cosaar for BP, and new drug, Otezla for psoriatic arthritis along with UVB treatments. Taking vitamins to support heart, supplements, calcium, vitamin C, B supplements, acidophilus, co-Q, ear drops and ointments dimethesone and ketacodnisone from dermatologist for psoriasis. Had adjustment period with Metformin. Hands have been extremely painful with swelling and severe joint pain and swelling concentrated in left hand, ring finger. New Rheumatologist recently diagnosed psoriatic arthritis."

Joy-see August 29, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello everyone So a little about myself I have PCOS got diagnose in 3/15 My doc gave me metformin 500 mg a day but after 2 months taking it and not having any symptoms I raised it up to 1000 mg a day that's when I started feeling the symptoms mostly diarrhea I finally got my period on 7/15 but for aug I didn't get one did a pregnancy test and came back neg so hopefully I get one soon... Also I have a 8 yr old from my previous marriage (which he was conceived natural) I now been with my husband for 7 yrs and we never taken care and we haven't been able to conceive. My husband really wants kids and I do too but I kind of lost hope. Not long ago did I find out my husband had and affair and got her pregnant she's due Dec so that breaks my heart."

vlovesad28 August 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was dx'd with PCOS @18yrs. Didn't start taking metformin until 20 for 3years. I took 500mg 3xdaily. This med helped regulate my cycles and aid weight loss. 30lbs loss in less than a year. And best of all I was able to conceive. Now fast forward to 31yrs old and I'm now back on 500mg once daily to manage my symptoms and to keep the diagnosis of diabetes away. If you can get past the diarrhea, it's a great med that does help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "its hard to deal with metformin i have been on this drug about 6 months now it does settle but takes a while as they increase you dose every so often but my periods have become more regular and i have lost nearly 2 stone but the side affects are horrible at time but i stuck to it and its really helped me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin so far has been good to me. I have had no side effects. Most likely because I stick to the diet the doctor prescribed. I stay away from carbs from bread, fried food, and candy and sweets. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, and salads in moderation. I feel really good."

Krissyb112 August 21, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos in June. I started taking metformin 3 weeks and I've noticed a big difference in my appetite. I'm not hungry as often. I have been getting diarrhea and nausea but I have a very sensitive stomach so I'm not surprised. No other changes yet. I'm 4 months late so hopefully it'll bring my period."

Larissa_Vanessa August 18, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking Metformin because it was the last hope to help control my hormones and bring back my cycles. i have PCOS and Endometriosis, and the combination of the 2 is horrible when you cant take HRT. After 3 days of taking it i got my period finally after 113 days late. I am a bit worried as i am underweight and havent got an appetite, but im slowly getting used to them,and will hopefully be eating properly soon. fingers crossed it helps me concieve!!!!"

Ellyrosee August 17, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am now just over 3 weeks in from starting on metformin and have increased to 1000mg a day, possibly increasing to 1500mg a day tomorrow, I have lost my first stone but I must make it clear that I feel that this is more due to my diet than the metformin, I have been calorie counting with the help of an app and know that I am coming up to my difficult time where I always struggle with my diet at about this stage. I have also been taking provera to try and regulate my bleeding which unfortunately isn't yet giving me the desired effects, I am currently suffering a lot of cramps and heavy bleeding but am trying hard to stick with it by focusing on what I want at the end of all this which is hopefully a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby."

Lucy79 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015