User Reviews for Metformin (Page 3)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 101 reviews 135 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 273 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Metformin can be harsh on the stomach but if it does not agree with you after a few weeks please please please ask for slow release version, your problems will be solved."

Jul1e October 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "This medicine does wonders with making my blood sugar lower; however, I had extreme diarrhea and I felt nauseous for awhile. My doctor put me on slow release and while it helped me with diarrhea, my blood sugar would always be higher so I switch back to the regular kind and I am still having extreme diarrhea. Other than that this medicine is great."

samobu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was diagnosed in 2010 as "borderline" Type 2 and given Met 500mg dose 1 x day at breakfast. I was overweight and already being treated for Hypothyroidism with Levothyroxine sodium. after several months on it I started losing muscle strength and tiring easily, sleeping in afternoons, something I'd never done before. My husband was also on it 2 or 3x 800 mg per day,I don't remember now, but having been diagnosed years earlier in UK. he was ok on it, despite also being on French equivalent of Warfarin, and something else, since his triple bypass op in 2008. So same drug doesn't always suit everyone, depending on other health factors. I ended up with a swollen spleen after taking Metformin, so took myself off it just B4 scan confirmed it!"

Sambs October 4, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22. I opted to have a child and there was no difficulty. PCOS didn't bother me not until the year 2013. My weight increased from 48kg to 55kg and this year 2015 to 66kg not to mention the acne and hair growths and infertility. Missed my periods for 6 month now. this causes me depression and insecurity. I am starting to take metformin today at 500mg/day and I am hoping that this will help me just like to others with PCOS.will update soon..."

sld29 September 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago with my lack of energy, weight gain and irregular periods. I started on 500mg/day, then slowly upped the dose to now taking 2000mg/day. I have been on 2000mg/day for over a month now and still feel awful side effects. I am always nauseous, burping, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhrea, reduced sex drive (due to previously mentioned side effects), joint pain, loss of appetite, weakness... the list goes on. I am already low weight so feeling ill and not having an appetite is concerning. Also my period has not become more regular and in fact has become worse. When I was on just 500mg/day I felt fantastic so the doctor kept increasing the dose. I think I will go back down to a lower dose or stop"

LMS77 September 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was way over weight I hated the way I looked and the way I felt. Then I had a small stroke and I then found out that I also had type 2 diabetes. A few months later I had two heart attacks my doctor put me on metformin to help with my sugar but I started losing weight slowly. I also started working out a little at a time. Now to date I have lost 92 pounds with in a year. Metformin may not work as well for you if you don't work out and go for walks but if you watch what you eat and how much slowly reduce the amount of food you eat go for walks and work out metformin will help , the first few weeks can be hard as your body adjust to it but that will pass. I feel great - I got my health back thank you metformin for the help !"

DesiKnecht August 31, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Following a miscarriage in November 2014, my Dr. had be on folic acid for 9 months before running some blood work tests. Found out I had PCOS the 20th of August after the results came back and started Metformin HCL the same day. I take 850 mg once a day and I found taking halfway through my meal has done away with 99% of the side effects. I know it's only been 10 days since I started it, but I feel less hungry and like I don't crave the junk food I did before. Here's to hoping it works!"

JWilson928 August 30, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Have been on Metformin for years and up to 1000 with an A1C of 8.7 currently. Glucose at doctor's office 87 one day and at next follow up with family doctor was 186,,,endocrinologist prescribed Actos to get A1C down. Also on other meds. Lipitor, Cosaar for BP, and new drug, Otezla for psoriatic arthritis along with UVB treatments. Taking vitamins to support heart, supplements, calcium, vitamin C, B supplements, acidophilus, co-Q, ear drops and ointments dimethesone and ketacodnisone from dermatologist for psoriasis. Had adjustment period with Metformin. Hands have been extremely painful with swelling and severe joint pain and swelling concentrated in left hand, ring finger. New Rheumatologist recently diagnosed psoriatic arthritis."

Joy-see August 29, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello everyone So a little about myself I have PCOS got diagnose in 3/15 My doc gave me metformin 500 mg a day but after 2 months taking it and not having any symptoms I raised it up to 1000 mg a day that's when I started feeling the symptoms mostly diarrhea I finally got my period on 7/15 but for aug I didn't get one did a pregnancy test and came back neg so hopefully I get one soon... Also I have a 8 yr old from my previous marriage (which he was conceived natural) I now been with my husband for 7 yrs and we never taken care and we haven't been able to conceive. My husband really wants kids and I do too but I kind of lost hope. Not long ago did I find out my husband had and affair and got her pregnant she's due Dec so that breaks my heart."

vlovesad28 August 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was dx'd with PCOS @18yrs. Didn't start taking metformin until 20 for 3years. I took 500mg 3xdaily. This med helped regulate my cycles and aid weight loss. 30lbs loss in less than a year. And best of all I was able to conceive. Now fast forward to 31yrs old and I'm now back on 500mg once daily to manage my symptoms and to keep the diagnosis of diabetes away. If you can get past the diarrhea, it's a great med that does help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "its hard to deal with metformin i have been on this drug about 6 months now it does settle but takes a while as they increase you dose every so often but my periods have become more regular and i have lost nearly 2 stone but the side affects are horrible at time but i stuck to it and its really helped me"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin so far has been good to me. I have had no side effects. Most likely because I stick to the diet the doctor prescribed. I stay away from carbs from bread, fried food, and candy and sweets. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, and salads in moderation. I feel really good."

Krissyb112 August 21, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos in June. I started taking metformin 3 weeks and I've noticed a big difference in my appetite. I'm not hungry as often. I have been getting diarrhea and nausea but I have a very sensitive stomach so I'm not surprised. No other changes yet. I'm 4 months late so hopefully it'll bring my period."

Larissa_Vanessa August 18, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking Metformin because it was the last hope to help control my hormones and bring back my cycles. i have PCOS and Endometriosis, and the combination of the 2 is horrible when you cant take HRT. After 3 days of taking it i got my period finally after 113 days late. I am a bit worried as i am underweight and havent got an appetite, but im slowly getting used to them,and will hopefully be eating properly soon. fingers crossed it helps me concieve!!!!"

Ellyrosee August 17, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am now just over 3 weeks in from starting on metformin and have increased to 1000mg a day, possibly increasing to 1500mg a day tomorrow, I have lost my first stone but I must make it clear that I feel that this is more due to my diet than the metformin, I have been calorie counting with the help of an app and know that I am coming up to my difficult time where I always struggle with my diet at about this stage. I have also been taking provera to try and regulate my bleeding which unfortunately isn't yet giving me the desired effects, I am currently suffering a lot of cramps and heavy bleeding but am trying hard to stick with it by focusing on what I want at the end of all this which is hopefully a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby."

Lucy79 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2015 then started metformin in July and got a BFP in August. Metformin helped me ovulate and regulate my menstruals. Very thankful."

Lauradtx August 12, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I don't like this particular brand of Metformin. It doesn't have consistent results. My A1C was down to 5.9 from 11.8 when first diagnosed in 2009 after receiving a round of steroid shots for my back pain. My doctor had put me on a series of different diabetic type 2 meds. They found I was insulin resistance. So, they put me on Actos for about 6 months and that is what got everything under control. I also had a extreme diet change in 4 months I lost 100 lbs. Also helped my numbers. Unfortunately I had a life changing event which required me too move out of state. I just had my urine checked and my kidneys seem to be fine but having major issue when my sugar is 129 -. My A1C has gone up since taking this. Itching, diarrhea, weight gain"

Gemqueen (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 53 and recently dx with "a variant of PCOS." I have struggled with my weight all my life and very severe unwanted hair on face and body. Still, my periods were always regular and I easily conceived two children in my mid-late 30s; both pg were normal, with full term healthy babies. I wasn't terribly surprised when I was dx with type 2 diabetes two years ago. My dr. rx metformin. I started at 500 mg once a day and a year later he upped it to 500mg twice a day. At 1000mg a day, I am finally seeing a decrease in my facial hair. No help with weight loss however. My blood sugar is very well controlled. If I take it with food (low carb) I don't have any problems with side effects."

WaterdogsRule August 10, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor prescribed Metformin. He had me start with 500mg/day until I feel good enough to increase the dose. The first couple days I was a little nervous so I was very careful not to eat carbs but so far I have had very minimal side effects. I have been taking it for 1 week now and yesterday I increased my dose to 500mg with breakfast and 500mg with dinner (I have the extended release). In the first 4 days I lost 5lbs just because it really helped me feel less bloated and it took away my appetite. I used to think about food 24/7 and constantly crave sweets but I no longer have that issue. So far I feel great on it and I will see how 1500mg/day goes."

MrsR0623 August 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metformin was helped to lower my A1C have had several of the side affect dizzy, metallic taste, dry mouth, and nausea. Having one side affect that I feel should be mentioned kidney functioning at lower levels being sent to a specialist please have kidney function tested"

Tarah Morgan August 4, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "My blood sugar was extremely high (403) and metformin 500mg was prescribed for a 30 day period, to aid getting the blood sugar levels lowered. Within a 24 hour period and after taking 1000mgs, my blood sugar readings was down by 89 points to 314. I've just started on this road, but so far it has been helpful. The side effects for me have been minimal. Severe diarrhea, light headaches."

OneSaucyTrini July 30, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "I'm giving this a 2 because I've lost some weight. To be honest, it's likely that I've lost weight because of the low carb diet I'm now in to "manage" the side effects of Metformin. This medicine is life ruining. I've become a shut in (I only go to work now) because of the constant no-warning need to use the bathroom. I'm trying to stick with it, but it's awful."

BBBH (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 1992 aged just 12, I had a wedge resection and was told that I would probably never have children. I suffered 2 miscarriages before having my son in 1998. Unfortunately I haven't been in a position to have anymore children until now being in a new stable relationship but unfortunately due to my PCOS symptoms and constant (7 months plus) bleeding we have been unable to conceive. I have now being told that both my tubes appear blocked but can't have the surgery to confirm it until I lose 5 and a half stone. I finally was given the ok for metformin just yesterday after months of referrals and appointments so am hoping that it can help me get to my ultimate goal of having another baby."

Lucy79 July 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, I am now 25. I just recently got put on Metformin 500mg 2x daily. I have just about every symptom listed for PCOS and so far the medication only seems to help with my skin disorder acanthosis nigricans. I have it the inside of my elbows and underneath my breasts and down my abdomen. It has made it less noticeable. No luck on reducing the unwanted patches of hair on my chin but tweezers are my best friend. No weight loss at this time either but it has leveled my blood sugars. My only complain is the medication has made me lactose intolerant. Giving up milk and cheese has been hard to where I go off on the medication on the weekend to enjoy food again."

Shelbynos (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was told I had PCOS when I was 19 I'm 27 now it's been a long road. I've been on every birth control, but I've always felt it was a temporary fix for a permanent problem I've been taking metformin for 3 weeks now. I had Really bad gas so I took a heartburn pill when I took the metformin and the side effects went down about 90%. I get a little tired some times, but over all I feel better! I no longer have cravings for chocolate and sweets. Hair growth has gone down! Just remember to drink a lot of water. I'm praying that this medicine really helps woman with polycystic ovaries. Good luck ladys!"

Feeling better about pcos July 27, 2015