User Reviews for Metformin (Page 4)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Insulin Resistance Syndrome 21 reviews 14 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 101 reviews 135 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 273 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have PCOS but do have regular periods. When I started taking Metformin I was 11 stone 7. I have tried to lose weight prior to all this and I have managed to lose half a stone before it slowly starts going back on again - like a yoyo and thats not through letting my diet slip. I have only been on the medication a few days but there has been a noticeable difference in my appetite already. I haven't had any unpleasant side effects apart from a little wind (woops). I weighed myself this morning after taking only 7 tablets (1 500g tab 3x a day) and I am already loosing - 11 stone 4. I will be back to update you with how I get on over the next few weeks. So far so good!"

Twinkle Toes87 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been prescribed metformin for my pcos which I had diagnosed a month ago. I'm a little scared to take it with all the side effects I hear about. My husband and I want to have another baby. My first was born in 2013. I had gestational diabetes which I think was caused by the insulin resistance. I'm hoping for the best. I would love to loose 30 pounds and get my body back which I never had since I was in middle school. I hope this works. How did everyone feel before they stared taking metformin?"

Ttcnumber2withpcos July 20, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been diagnosed with PCOS for years and have never been given anything for it. I became pregnant in 2003 and now have a beautiful 11 year old. In May 2015 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been prescribed Metformin. I take 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. At first I felt pretty yucky from the medicine. Now that my body has gotten used to it I feel fantastic! I just had my first period in months and am finally beginning to feel like myself. I wasn't aware the Metformin works well with PCOS until I did some research on the medication. I'm killing two birds with one stone! Wish it helped with my Hypothyroidism."

ChityRach (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello :) I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 months ago and have recently been put onto Metformin. I have had a really good experience with this pill, it has made me feel a little rubbish to begin with but I have gotten used to it. I haven't lost lots of weight but I am currently swimming and running to help make the weight loss quicker. I am 19 years old so it was quite hard to find out that I have PCOS but I knew that it was a possibility because my mum has it. I'm hoping that it will aid in keeping the hair away from my face! After about a month on metformin I have had my first period in 8/9 months and it was one of the best feelings in the world because I was really worried that they wouldn't come back! Hoping that it keeps helping"

Minniesther July 7, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Metallic taste, diarrhea. Need to take medicine before food. Drink a lot of water."

WendyMae July 2, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2013 but did not start taking Metformin seriously until late 2014. I am also prediabetic, which is what has jump started my desire to seriously lose weight. I cannot speak for blood sugar levels as I have not had them rechecked, nor have I gotten my cycle back, but I also have a significant amount of weight to lose first. I definitely experience upset stomach and pretty intense diarrhea; however, this only seems to happen if I do not watch my carb and/or sugar intake. If I eat sensibly, I have little to no issues in the side effect department. I am losing weight and moving more, and hope to one day not need medication anymore."

KeLou June 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I Was diagnosed with pcos roughly 5 months ago. I was given birth control to help regulate my period. 4 months after the diagnosis I started metformin the side effects are kicking my butt. I'm nauseous, I have the poops, and no appetite because I'm nauseous. The symptoms were starting to wear off then I started to take 2 a day. And I'm not sure if I like it but I'm going to stick it out and talk to my dr."

nessacakes June 24, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "So 2 months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. Which my doctor notices feom my ultrasound of my ovaries that I've NEVER ovulated. Since then I've had an HSG text, been on Metformin and am now to my limit of 2,000 mgs, Clomid, and was on Prometrium (progesterone) this last month. This last month my doctor also put me on a pill again to get my period. My periods have always been irregular. This morning 6/23/15 I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. My husband and I are hoping for the best next month."

Anonymous June 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hello ladies! Your reviews have been so helpful and is giving me hope! I was on birth control for years then finally got off.. My cycles have been irregular every since.. So I was put back on birth control just to have a cycle.. Me and my husband are trying to conceive so I went to the doctor to have an ultrasound did on me to check my ovaries and that's when I found out I have PCOS.. My doctor started me on Metformin.. I started taking it on 06/20/15.. The symptoms started immediately! Really bad cramps and MAJOR diarrhea.. I haven't been taking it for a week yet and I'm not to stop but right now I don't like the feeling. But my doctor said this helps with me trying to have a baby.. So hopefully good news soon :)"

MzMiMi June 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with PCOS about two years ago. I started on generic Yaz and Metformin at the same time. My cycle regulated and I lost about 50lbs in six months. I noticed a significant reduction in unwanted hair as well. I quit taking it for a while (life got busy, didn't refill it, moved half way across the country, new job, etc.) and I put nearly all of the weight back on. Needless to say, I've been back on Metformin for about two weeks and I've already lost six lbs."

EverythingNice1684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hey ladies, I found out I had pcos a long time ago, I took once or twice when I was 24. It made me sick so I stop, went back to doctor 2 weeks ago, my said I should try metformin. Haven't started yet! But I'm 32 with no kids and I really want a healthy beautiful baby. My boyfriend cheated on me and got a baby and it really hurts me bc he said I should've got pregnant. Hopefully when I start medication I will get pregnant. I will keep yall updated."

rhonda83 June 7, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "To all the woman desperately wanting to become mothers I recommend taking folic acid or folate pills whilst taking the metformin. Folate prepares your female organs for pregnancy . I had my first child in 2003 at the age of 18, I was diagnosed with pcos at 15. I lost 30kg and that's when I fell pregnant at 18. For the next 7 years I was on and off different contraceptive pills, metformin or no contraceptive at all With no luck of getting pregnant as I was now back up to 115kg after first child. In 2010 I found a great Dr who was studying to be a gynae. She told me if you wanting to conceive take metformin and folate tablets together everyday. So I did and I never lose any weight but bang 3 months later I was pregnant."

kat84 June 5, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started on Metformin 4/20/14 for irregular periods and diagnosis of PCOS. Today I started my first cycle since September 2014! Hopefully they will continue to regulate but am beyond excited! The side effects can be pretty nasty if you don't cut back on bad carbs or work out, but just stick with it and it WILL work!"

Jemmy1486 June 4, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Have lost 7 pounds in less than a month of taking metformin, for my PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Can see the change physically in my face and stomach, as well as been told it by others, and on the scale. My hormones are also regulating themselves (having a period naturally for the first time in forever). Happy and proud of the results. My body has needed this for a long time, in both aspects. I do have diarrhea as a side effect, but I'd rather deal with that and lose weight."

etherealmoon (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about 3weeks ago after going through years of irregular periods and horrible nausea problems I finally went to a obgyn because it was getting out of control and she prescribed me with metformin and birth control (microgestin) my period started within two weeks I have experienced extreme nausea mainly and I feel sick constantly and throw up at least 1-2 times a day this is only my first week on it but I have already lost 5lbs and feel more energized hopefully the nausea will go away soon"

Karakellum May 19, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started taking metformin in March, I've gone from 500mg to 1500mg and this week I got my period. I haven't had one since December 2014. I've had very little side effects, just a little nausea and an unsettled stomach. I'm really hoping my periods will regulate now. I have also lost 9lbs since 20th March."

Penelope2015 May 15, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis at 14, i had surgery to remove the cysts but I'm now 19 and I still don't get regular periods. I started metformin 3 weeks ago and am on 1500mg a day but no weight loss and no period yet. Side effects I have are loss of appetite and nausea which gets very bad especially at night and I've broken out in spots. Really hope it works I've tried everything.. 11/05/15 UPDATE Ok so I've been on metformin for over a month now. My side effects have calmed down now my appetite is still lacking but I'm not as nauseas and my skin has calmed down although it's very dry. I haven't had a period since December 2014 and it's still not come but I'm still hoping it will soon. Also not lost any weight."

Bblccx (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was never diagnosed with PCOS, but I have had all the signs. Weight gain,facial hair,acne etc... I took myself off of Metformin back in 2012 when my doctor prescribed it due to the side effects. I couldn't handle them. I was losing too much weight and was constantly sick. My facial hair,acne and weight gain had become out of control in the last year so just 1 week ago I requested for Metformin. I had not had a period since December 2014 and it's is now May 2015. After just a week my appetite has decreased, my skin is clearing and my period came yesterday all on 500mg a day. I was told to increase this week to 1000mg. I'm hoping for a baby one day soon. My one is only child will be 12 this July and it's time."

teebrice (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Fortamet (metformin) for Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Excellent med. Tolerate perfectly. Very much improves my glucose intolerance. Improves my mood as well and high improvement in my quality of life."

jayless May 1, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I started 850mg Metformin twice per day for PCOS and at first it made me nauseated for about 1 week or so and then the nausea stopped. I feel better now after being on it for aprox. 4 month's. I have more alertness and I'm not in so much pain with my ovary like I use to be. I still have pains time to time but not daily like before. I do not get bathroom problems and I've always been on the bigger side."

PCOS suffere April 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been on this for about a year. I experience diarrhea but eating natural yogurt helps a lot. I now a 7-8 week cycle, previously it was 6 months. I have loads more energy and a normal appetite, previously I was tired all the time and always thirsty and hungry despite eating and drinking too much. I lost heaps of weight and my mind is clear. 10/10."

excellent result April 28, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 21 years old and have always been morbidly overweight. I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 months ago when I was 3 weeks late With a negative pregnancy test. I have the normal signs of acne, overweight, hair on my face, and I now take 1500 MG of metformin everyday. I do not have a gall bladder so the diarrhea does not bother me, but the nausea is dreadful. I will be so hungry to the point of starving and when I try to eat I'm so sick to my stomach I can't touch food. I also have had a headache everyday for the last 3 weeks. I have absolutely no sex drive and my self esteem is shot. Feeling very depressed lately...do not know if the metformin is affecting me differently because of my bipolar disorder, but I cannot feel like this forever."

shelbyhudson6326 April 26, 2015

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Took anti-depressants for over 25 years. Had given up when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. A friendly doctor prescribed 1,500mg Metformin daily. Great relief from my symptoms which only later were discovered to be the result of Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I am 66."

Glasgow Scot (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Been having irregular periods since I have known myself having a period. I was tired of going to the doctor for it. I am now on my 3rd month of metformin and my period became regular. Coming on its own. I am now thinking about having a child. I know it will be hard being that I was diagnosed with PCOS. However I have faith because metformin does work. I am on 850mg every night."

cana April 25, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, mostly suffering from acne, without weight and period issues. I started metformin 2-3 months ago and recently increased the dosage. It has helped dramatically. No side-effects, except for some days in the beginning when I had nausea etc."

c.hol April 21, 2015