User Reviews for Metformin (Page 4)

Also known as: Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Riomet

Learn more about Metformin.

Female Infertility 8 reviews 23 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 131 reviews 141 medications

6.5
Summary of Metformin reviews 368 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metformin

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was told that I had PCOS about 7 months ago. I gained weight. My periods have always been irregular and my doctors would always suggest putting me on birth control but I always declined it. Here I am now at 27 having to take metformin 500. I take 1000 mg a day. I just had my first period the other week in over 8 months. My periods have always been irregular, I knew 7 months of not having one was to long. At first my Gyn put me on regular metformin. It had me going going. Then my PCP put me on met xr two tabs a day. And listen ladies some gyns might tell you that you have sugar but make sure to check with your PCP for a second opinion. My Gyn had me on 4 tabs a day 500 mg but my PCP knocked it down. Had a period and losing weight!!!"

Lavette 89 October 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Metformin has reduced my pain (breasts and abdominal) in less than 3 days of trial. I love this medication and I am hoping that it will regulate my period leading to pregnancy but I am not planning to have a baby now. I recommend this medication to be used for PCOS patients."

Lexii (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insulin Resistance Syndrome: "Since taking this med I am experiencing severe spasms in my right side. Its not my appendix. It is spasms that vary in duration and intensity, feels just like ovarian cyst. Have no ovaries anymore. Anyone experiencing this?"

Sweetness65 September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 29 years old was diagnosed with pcos a year ago.I've always had irregular cycles and has been trying to conceive for a few years. My primary care doctor referred me to a PCOS specialist after my blood work showed I had insulin resistance and was (prediabetic)... She first started me out with progesterone because I wanted to have my cycle...my next visit I informed her I did want to try to have a baby which means I needed to ovulate to do so..she prescribed metformin 500 mg twice daily..when I first started the meds it made me sick, nauseous, occasional diarrhea, and lose of appetite..Those side effects eventually subsided... I just had a check up today and she is prescribing me 500mg 4 times a day...I'm praying for a BFP..wish me luck"

Keish.faith (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was diagnosed as having PCOS only last year when I was 32, so pretty late in life. I've always had regular periods (like clockwork) but never gotten pregnant. I have high testosterone, oily skin, acne, I have gained quite a lot of weight over a short period of time went from 60kg to 83kg in just four years which was a big sign as I had not changed by eating or exercise habits. I started taking Metformin 3 times a day and was sick for the first few days, just really nauseous and a few trips to the toilet. I kept forgetting to take the tablets so my doctor has prescribed me the Diaformin XR which I haven't started taking yet. I'm just hoping I don't get as sick as I did with the Metformin."

AussieJane September 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Started taking Metformin(500mg/day extended release) 4 days ago after being diagnosed with PCOS. Pretty sure I've had it since my teens, but was only diagnosed last week at 28 years old. My last period was months ago, and after just 4 days of Metformin, my period started! Couldn't be happier! I felt the effects almost immediately. My energy is way up, I'm not craving food as much, I seem to feel fuller for much longer. I've had no negative side effects other than a slight dry mouth. Hopefully the weird hair growth will also slow down. Will update as things progress."

Kristi K. September 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "On Metformin near two years. In Canadian terms my blood sugar is in the fives, this am 5.1. I take 500mg per day and have lost about 25 lbs since being diagnosed. Now I believe that comes from the pill, daily gym sessions and a drastically changed diet. A hamburger bun is now a piece of lettuce, spaghetti now comes from zuchiinni, mashed potatoes are now mashed cauliflower and fiber based cereal is pretty normal for breakfast."

99Bandit September 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I recently got put on Metformin the 31st of August so it has been about 7 days. I have horrible diarrhea, upset stomach, loss of appetite and fatigue. I gained almost 70 pounds in 2015 due to PCOS. I am hoping this medicine will help with weight loss & getting things back into control."

Makayla12345 September 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have PCOS and was struggling to conceive because of my irregular periods. My Gyno/OB started me on Metformin 500mg. However, he told me to start slowly taking one tablet in the morning and one at night, then once I had adjusted to that, one tablet 3 x a day. He told me that it makes you feel nauseous, he was right. I did feel quite sick, So i would recommend staggering the dosage and working up to three tablets a day. It worked for me. It also gave me diarrhea every now and then but it wasn't that bad, more like loose stools, not explosive. I was on metformin for a few months, my periods were semi-regular and then I fell pregnant. Didn't really loose much weight, just a couple of kg's which i think was because i felt sick from the tablet."

JenS1 September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I found out I have type 2 diabetes back in May when going on for spine surgery. Dr increased my dosage to 2× day. I have been sick to my stomach with vomiting and have zero apatite ..."

Jimmy W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "25 years old - diagnosed with PCOS at 16. Always have been overweight, abnormal hair growth & irregular periods. I'm "pre-diabetic" with diabetes on both sides of my family so taking Metformin as a preventative measure. I've been on metformin for 10 days and have already lost 3 pounds with no significant diet change & got my period on my own without having to take medication for the first time in years. Less hungry, especially at night. I did have terrible diarrhea the first few days but that has resolved. Today started with a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which I'm hoping will subside soon because I feel pretty good otherwise! My advice - don't get discouraged with the stomach issues in the beginning - push through!"

Anonymous August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Pre-diabetic. Placed on Metformin. The first day severe dirreahea but after that nothing. I take 500mg twice a day at breakfast and dinner..Don't craved sweets as much. Which is great and when i do eat i feel full fast. Don't know about any weight loss but i do feel a lot better since taking metformin. But i only been taking it for two days... Other than having dirreahea the first day. I have no other reactions. I drink plenty of water and sparkling water too...I'm also getting in the habit of eating healthier."

Bamaborn August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I'm reading these and having some mixed emotions but hope is the major one. I'm 42 I was diagnosed 20 years ago fortunate enough to have 4 beautiful children with mild fertility help. I had terrible periods when I had them and as I got older the came every other week I had the ablation procedure and that was a miracle worker. I'm a group fitness instructor I teach anywhere from 16 to 20 classes a week and I weigh 200 lbs at 5'4. I know I am fit. I eat fairly well and for the life of me cannot see why I'm so heavy. I went to my annual check up and the doc told me about this medicine and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I work my butt off and I'm still heavy. For the last 4 years it's been 10lbs a year. I hope this is my answer???"

Anonymous August 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I am 17! I was detected with pcod with insulin resistance!! I found out the symptoms like hair growth on stomach chest, oily skin ,acne , irregular periods and weight gain like really fast weight gain! So i am taking meformin 500mg! I take the medicine twice a day and yes i had been of great use i lost 2 kgs in 25 days bcz of diet control and the medication! And yes my periods are also regular!"

Yukiee (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I would not credit metformin as the only reason I have done so well with the pcos weight gain, but I believe it's been a HUGE help. I was a very active female, ex military who was always within my bmi. I went from 138 lbs to 350 lbs in 8 years before the pcos was even diagnosed. 7 months on metformin, with a healthy diet and moderate exercise and I'm 140 lbs down. For me, it worked. I went through 2 or 3 brands until I got to one that didn't make me sick. But I'm grateful I stuck it out. Pcos is a nightmare, the hair growth alone makes you feel less feminine let alone the massive weight fluctuations. I wish everybody luck and obviously listen to your body and research everything the dr recommends. Good luck and god bless!"

Angobe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I was disgnosed with PCOS 2 years ago and was prescribed metformin. When I first began taking it I felt very off, like I was in a fog. I suspect this was my body adjusting to a lower blood sugar level (pre-diabetic). This began wearing off after a couple weeks and I felt better than I ever have. It really helped. My dosage is 1000 mg 2x daily. I have now lost over 100 pounds over the past 2 years, though I can't say if the metformin contributed to weight loss, as I did a drastic lifestyle change; but I suspect that it has. Now that I am healthier, though, I am starting to get that same foggy feeling as I had in the beginning. I think the dosage is too high now that I am overcoming PCOS through a healthy lifestyle. Just keep that in mind :)."

Kitty K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have been suffering from PCOS since 16. Now Iam 23 and married. I have too many problems..acne,excess hair growth weight gain..are some of them. I nver got my periods on time.. It comes with 3 or 4 month with severe bleeding.I met so many docters. but I hadnt my periods on time.. and my husband and I tried to conceive for one year but we couldnt. On June I met my new docter and he put me on metformin. He started me on metformin 500mg twice a day... First 2 weeks with metformin is horrible.. I faced too many side effects but I got the medicine on time. and I also met my dietician and had my diet plan. he said I have to reduce my dinner and drink a milk called "Slim Right" Beginning of the first 2 weeks my periods Just came..."

Hasi July 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have pcos and a couple months ago my doctor recommended 1000 mg of metformin a day, my period never really came as it should but i did loose some weight, I visited the doctor last week and told him of my period issue and he recommended 2000 mg a day ...I feel very sick but i'm trying had to stay positive. I really want to have a baby so whatever it takes...I'm willing to try now."

Mori_K (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Being trying to get pregnant for a year. Was diagnosed with PCOS 2 wks ago and pre diabetic. Have been dealing with infertility for a while even tho i have 2 children. Started metformin a week ago and hoping for a positive turn out. Everyone's stories are encouraging! Will post again soon, hopefully with good news."

Ladykris (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "My question - I need to know if anyone out there has had success taking this for the purpose of weight loss alone? I've always had PCOS. Never had one period on my own. Ever. I was induced on provera and had one and luckily became pregnant. Because I never had periods on my own, I had a hysterectomy at 30. But I still have all the other symptoms of PCOS including excess weight. After years of extreme eating, the gym and running...my doctor is putting me on Metformin. All the success stories I've read on this blog are great and I'm happy for you but they all have to do with conception. Does anyone have a story on weight loss?"

dino123 July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Hi have been reading all the stories. I have PCOS got told at 19 as i would miss a period for like 3months. So back then didnt really care or worry fast forward 6years and me and my partner are still trying to fall pregnant "

Danz02 July 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "9 days of Metformin have been horrible. So I quit. 250mg caused major mood swings. Like I have been in a bubble. Hips and legs ache so bad. Explosive diarrhea and MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!"

PCOS for years (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've been diagnosed PCOS not so long ago. I'm 20 yrs old. My doctor put me on metformin. She said to take it for 1-2 weeks 1000mg a day. I felt very fine! Then she said to increase it to 1000mg twice a day. This is my second day taking 4 pills a day. And I feel horrible stomach pain, nausea horrible!!! Maybe it's because I don't have a decent meal with my pills. Will that affect it at all? Can someone help?!"

TelmaB (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "For Mommy of PCOS, I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 and have been taking birth control to control most of the side effects since then. I switched doctors and my new doctor recently put me on metformin slow release (which helps a lot with the ugly GI side effects) and spironolactone, which is an anti-testosterone type of drug that works with birth control to control acne and hirsutism (excessive hair growth). Spironolactone and birth control have to be taken together, specially for PCOS because they work better and because spironolactone can cause birth defects, if your daughter where to get pregnant in the future. Metformin has worked great for me and I have been noticing my weight going down, after many years not being able to lose weight."

Abd2890 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I have always had issues with irregular periods since my first period at 17 years old. I summed it up to my body just being complicated. When I turned 25 my periods started getting farther and farther apart. I'd have a 25 day cycle and then he next would be 90 days. I ended up in the ER with two ruptured cysts and one the size of a baseball. After years of feeling tired all the time and strange hairs on my breasts and random places I was finally diagnosed with PCOS. I had also been trying to conceive for one year. My doctor started me on metformin 500mg once a day. Just 3 weeks later I conceived and 9 days after that I had a positive pregnancy test. After a entire year of trying!!! I feel so much better on this medicine."

Heather1989 June 28, 2016