User Reviews for Lurasidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Latuda

Lurasidone has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 607 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 51% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Lurasidone Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lurasidone

Opal.white.11.11 · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have Borderline OCD Anxiety and depression and Latuda changed my world. It took 6 different parts of me that all seemed disconnected and made them one. I stopped living in fear and what if paralysis. I’m in the moment. I’m now the me that’s been trying so hard to surface. I’m withdrawing from 250mg Lamictal, so uncertain what, if any, side effects are present. I take it at night, fall asleep hard, Then wake up early. I feel like I’m waking up to my life, like I’ve been on auto pilot controlled by emotions and delusional overthinking my entire life. Enjoying my life for the first time.”

James · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “Got diagnosed with Bi Polar in 2016 and I denied it until a week ago. I woke up and I realized and admitted to myself something is wrong with me. From 2016-2021 (now) I was taking 2 types of medicine and the one that worked the most was Latuda. For 2 years I ran my business and was good. Then I decided to get off it because it was too expensive and I got on Risperidone 2mg. After few months I started experiencing psychosis and delusional thinking and paranoia and STILL I ignored it. I thought it was all normal. So a week agoI realized I need help and I booked an appointment with my doc and yesterday I started taking Latuda 40mg again. Honestly, within 3 hours I felt my brain changing and I became less depressed and my thinking improved. Thats only 1 pill. I am excited to take my medicine and create stability in my life so I can get back to work and winning. PS Take latuda at dinner or morning with 350 calories You got this - never give up! It does get better!”

Duckhunt5577 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 22, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “At age 28 in my first drug rehab, I was diagnosed with bipolar two for the very first time. They instantly prescribed Latuda by a doctor at the rehab and almost instantly for sure I can say at least within the first week I felt a complete turnaround. Maintaining sobriety became easier, my self-esteem grew larger, my social graces and ability to establish and maintain friendships grew, my interpersonal relationships with family and friends were enhanced and my emotional regulation was extremely tolerable and in comparison to before actually quite delightful. I no longer got extremely upset about things. I no longer blew up at people. I started to be able to think about things before I said them instead of just letting it all out and not only regulate myself emotionally but also socially. They started me at 20 mg I am still at 20 mg and I will probably stay at 20 mg for the rest of my life. I love it!!”

Egg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 21, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “First major depression in 1980. Tried first psych med in 1991. Diagnosed bipolar. Taken over 30 meds for treatment resistant depression. Put on 40mg latuda in psych ward this last September. This med lifted a veil that had been obscuring who I was for decades. Overly emotional sometimes. Aware of new feelings and emotions. Desire intimacy from wife often. Have addressed a couple of serious character flaws I was oblivious to. Active and not in bed all day. Working on dose with psychiatrist still. Using lamictal for moods and gabapentin for anxiety. Latuda addressed the treatment resistant depression. I feel that once I clean up the wreckage of my past I can move on and begin a whole new life. I only have about 35 years left so I will make it count. Hard to believe that one little pill could do all of that.”

Nat · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I started taking Latuda a year ago for my bipolar type 1. I was so depressed, I was unable to do absolutely do anything that I stopped working and had horrible social anxiety. I started with 20mg and went as high as 60 mg. I am now stable with Latuda 40mg and 10mg of Prozac. I feel myself again. I know have the energy to do anything, my anxiety is gone, I can sleep, and I genuinely feel happy. The side effects I felt at first was restlessness and feeling extremely tired and subtle headaches. Now, I usually get tired within 2 hours. I sometimes get panic attacks every 3 months or so. I have lost weight on the medication and finally have energy to workout. I've lost 30 pounds since taking the medicine. Overall, this has worked for me.”

Vanessa · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “My husband was diagnosed with bi-polar depression. Many other underlying issues over the years but was put on Latuda 3-4 weeks. Then he started hearing voices & committed suicide. He was so agitated on it. ”

shura June 1, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder pretty young, and have been having voices and intense paranoia since I was 13. I didn't get proper treatment for it until I was 18 (teenage stupidity, and all that), and now I am on 120 mg of latuda, 500 mg of lamictal, and 900 mg of gabapentin and I finally feel some relief. I don't have voices anymore. I don't feel scared to go to bed because I think someone is going to kill me. I finally think that I'm a real person. This medication is a literal lifesaver. I have taken many antipsychotics, seroquel, zyprexa, risperadal, and abilify, as well as half a dozen antidepressants since I was a little kid, nothing has worked. I do not care though, as I finally can think clearly for the first time in my life. I have had some problems with anxiety during taking this med, but I was diagnosed with panic disorder + generalized anxiety disorder long ago. I have not experienced any negative side effects and I have gained no weight. In fact, I have lost 60 lbs”

Cherries35 · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda was a NIGHTMARE. Akathisia was so bad it physically hurt. I tried to power through for 3 weeks to see if there was a light at the end of the tunnel but it just continued and got worse. My Dr. took me off of it 3 days ago and besides sweating and jitters I'm back to 'normal'. For some Latuda is a miracle drug, but for me it was a total nightmare that put me into a suicidal, desperate place that I never, ever want to be again. Good luck with your search for peace everyone!”

Toad · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I've been on Llatuda for about 5 days for bipolar (20mg). All I can say is that I have a myriad of issues, thyroid, fybromyalgia, bipolar, just to name a few. This medication works so well for me! I had tried so many of the other meds throughout my lifetime. This is one medication that I could quickly tell, was helping me a lot. I had severe apathy and could have cared less if I'd wake up in the morning. Now, I actually feel like getting some things done (usually I do not have enough time) I felt HOPELESS before this drug. It feels nice to get up again and start my day.”

TheLifePDX · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda has been a game changer for me. I am a functioning highly anxious super bipolar human. I have taken a lot of different meds over the years including Seroquel, Lamictal, Zyprexa, and Risperdal, all of which caused extreme fatigue and minor weight gain. Since taking Latuda, the little bit of weight came off and my mood has mostly stabilized. The only downside to this that I have found is that if I take it on an empty stomach in the a.m. and skip breakfast, nausea and vomiting is almost a guaranteed. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to eat when I wake up but meh. Take it at night I guess to avoid that. I would recommend Latuda to anyone with Bipolar disorder as it has brought me many positive changes.”

kate February 14, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I’ve had much trouble with medication in past and was finally diagnosed with treatment resistant bipolar. Latuda has seem to be the only medication to help me. Within days it improved my mood, I went from lying in bed for hours unable to move because I was so depressed to getting up early every morning and walking a few miles. I felt so lifted, and it was the greatest feeling. Unfortunately though after a few months it would just stop working, but when my dosage was upped I’d go back to feeling good again. It could be due to my treatment resistant, but that and weight gain are the only issues I’ve had with Latuda. Unfortunately I have gained a lot of weight on this medication, but I don’t struggle with depressive episodes, mood instability, or suicidal thoughts anymore.”

Marcus August 27, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have Bipolar 2, PTSD, anxiety, fibromyalgia, depression and OCD. I try to find a pill to fix most of my problems and finally found LATUDA. It is like finding gold. My life change completely since I started to take this medication. I gain about 35 pounds but it looks great on me because I was skinny. Its very expensive, around 236$ a month but I live in Canada and the government pays 80% of my prescription.”

Nickname May 5, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “I've been taking 20 mg for a couple of weeks now. I went into menopause, and I already have been diagnosed with bipolar depression for most of my life. Racing thoughts, anxiety, paranoia, feelings of absolute despair. I get angry easily and have been fired from a few jobs because I shoot my mouth off and become defensive. I cry and hide in bed. I feel like I wish I never existed at all or I wish I was dead. I wake up with such a sense of dread every morning. So... since starting on it, I still get really angry and will still lash out, but I notice it's not as much. The racing thoughts are going away, and that need to worry about the future and all of the bad things that will happen to me has subsided a lot. It's not a hugely significant amount, but yes, I do feel a little brighter. My mind is a little calmer. The pit in my stomach has loosened just a little. Hopefully as I keep taking it, my results will be better. It's definitely not made things any worse. I'd try it.”

sheilajr · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2014

Latuda (lurasidone): “I don't review medicines often, but thought this might be valuable. Love this medicine, been on everything, like most of us. I take it as monotherapy for bipolar II. No bad side effects. When first started, I had a headache for a few days. That went away completely and now it helps prevent them. I also tire a little more upon exertion, but not too much. I feel slightly shaky, but even that has improved. In the beginning I had slightly restless sleep, but now have great sleep, with pleasant dreams. I feel normal, calm, happy and stable. I have NEVER felt this way. Definitely not manic at all. I have not gained or lost weight. I have no nausea and my cognition is good. I hope this helps. Give this medicine a try.”

Gemi77 November 18, 2014

Latuda (lurasidone): “I was suicidal and depressed for months. Feels like years. I'm on Wellbutrin as well but have been for years with no improvement. Latuda at 40 mgs has changed my life in 3 weeks. I'm not manic. I'm just normal and happy. High stress situations don't make me spiral, setbacks aren't out of proportion and damn if I'm not in awe that people live like this naturally and take it for granted.”

Dan10804 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 1, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have a long history of hard to treat depression as well as a bipolar diagnosis and Complex PTSD. Latuda freed me from the depression when nothing else would and was nothing short of life-changing. I found the first couple of days adjusting to it uncomfortable but worth getting through.”

CatFlo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda is probably the best antipsychotic I've tried. I'm a little sedated, but not too much... Which is good because I have a lot of anxiety normally, but its waaaay better now. My hypomania went away, but my motivation hasn't vanished..it definitely helps my depression too. It also took away my minor auditory hallucinations completely. I like that I feel way more normal on this than any other antipsychotic I've tried. I'm not a zombie, I'm not hungry all of the time, I'm not anxious, I'm not depressed, and I'm sleeping normally (no insomnia or hypersomnia). I feel ok! The only downside is it causes some troubles focusing and some loss of motivation, but all antipsychotics do that to me and this one is minor compared the others. I've only been on it about a month, but so far I really like this medicine!”

Stabledude · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2013

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have Bipolar Disorder II, diagnosed 4 years ago. I've taken a wide variety of medicines during that time. In my experience, many medications are good for ending a manic episode, but nothing has ever helped me with the ensuing, longer-lasting depressions. 3 months ago my psych suggested Latuda, and I agreed with zero expectations of success. The result has been miraculous. Within a week of starting, all negative feelings were gone. I experience nausea when I take it, but that is a small price to pay for such a major shift in my well-being. My appetite remains normal, and I've lost 5 pounds since starting Latuda because I have motivation to exercise again. Highly recommended to anyone who is BP II and wants to break out of depression.”

Stine · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have been on Latuda about 4 months now for major depression and it has changed my life! I struggled severely with suicidal thoughts and actions as well as self harm. Since getting on Latuda, my suicidal thoughts are completely gone. I think more rationally again, I don’t feel a need to harm or dislike myself, I finally feel like I have control of my illness. The only downside is the price, but thankfully I was able to get my insurance to help cover it. Also Latuda is known for lots of possible side effects. For me, I get severely nauseous if I take it after not eating enough. But it is definitely worth the benefits. Latuda is truly a miracle drug!!”

Kaleo · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2014

Latuda (lurasidone): “I'm on 200mg Lamictal and 150mg Wellbutrin for bipolar II with mania controlled and depression affecting my daily life. Added 20mg of Latuda 3 weeks ago and I've seen massive improvement. I went from sitting at home on the couch all the time to going out and applying for jobs and completing many projects around the house. It does come with drowsiness, works better than my prescribed sleep medication, and some nausea but food solves that. I don't know if my dosage will be increased but I feel great now with all my other medications plus the Latuda. Overall the pros make the cons nonexistent in my eyes.”

Kt · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “The first thing I want to say is that latuda totally works and it changed my life so much for the better. The second thing I will say is that it made me gain weight. I started putting the weight on as soon as I started taking it and altogether have put on about 50 lb.”

jallisin November 27, 2013

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda has changed my life. I've been treated with everything under the sun since I was 20 years old. Within days of taking the Latuda I felt like a normal person. I don't know if I EVER felt so genuinely happy, light-hearted, motivated to make life changes. It's like a miracle. I don't experience any side effects. I don't feel tremendously hungry either, as I have with other anti psychotics. I only hope it continues to keep my bipolar at bay. ”

Jon Doe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 7, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda 80 mg made me so manic that I could not lay still in bed. I did not understand what was happening. I told the Dr and he tried to add more drugs. I rejected most of them as I felt worse or unable to function on them. I was not sleeping well and felt empty, emotionless, like a zombie After 7 months of this awfulness on 80 mg Latuda, I became manic and psychotic, developed extreme paranoia, was not sleeping and tried to end my life. Dr. switched me to Quatiapine and things got better. .”

bpgc · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2015

Latuda (lurasidone): “Been on Latuda for 2 months and for the first time in years I feel happy and content plus I'm not flip flopping between mad confusion to hyperactive depression anymore. It gives me that second to think before I react and that has been all the time I need to see where I could go down the angry paranoid path or CHOOSE to take another route. My anxiety is almost gone with or without benzo's. I smile and have a positive outlook on things now. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is as of now it creates a very uncomfortable energy almost like I can't keep still. So worth it to me I can deal with that. I have been on all the anti crazy and bat shit loony meds out there and this so far has been the best.”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “This is not just a "good" review that companies want you to see. This is a sworn testimony. I am 57 y.o. and have suffered with severe depression my entire life. Ten years ago I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I have tried every med known to man. A couple months ago I was put on Latuda. My depression has disappeared. I'm out of bed, living life. I wish I could personally speak to every one of you reading this and beg you to give it a try.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder