User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Amitiza Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitiza to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I was diagnosed with IBS-C and have been dealing with SIBO as well. I have gone through everything to treat all this and so far everything makes me feel worse. I'm extremely sensitive to medications. I started with myralax which did not go so well then tried Linzess which made me so ill I couldn't go to work. It didn't even do anything for me! So took a break from all meds and my doc put me on Amitiza. I've been on it for 3 weeks and am still extremely nauseated and have shortness of breath for 2-3 hours after I take this. It's working great for my gut so I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. This feels like my last resort and if I can't fix my motility problem, I fear I'll never get rid of my SIBO. Either way I feel like junk."

My friends think I'm Dramatic March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 25 year old woman who has struggled with IBS-C for about 5 years now. I started off taking linzess but it was too strong and I would just have to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes for hours. So my doctor put me on the 8 mg dose of amitiza and my life has changed for the better. It still takes me an hour to go to the bathroom in the morning but I'm not waiting to go anymore. The medication works. I take it before bed and 2 hours before I wake up to give it a chance to work in my body and then drink a glass or 2 of water to kickstart it when I get up. And I don't have to worry about constipation anymore. I've been on it for 4 months and I love Amitiza."

Dt192509 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this medication for one day, that might had painful diarrhea and a lot of gas. This is not a solutions for IBS if it just gives you more pain. Do not recommend if you are able to have semi regular bowel movements. It's just too strong. Gave me heartburn and nausea too."

Kate P February 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 70 year old woman who was prescribed Amitiza by my primary care physician for IBS with constipation. I was given the standard dose of 8mcg, to be taken twice daily. Initially, the medication worked without incident, but about a month after I started taking the medication, I started having too frequent bowel movements and anxiety. I also started losing weight which made me happy because I was about 20 pounds overweight, that is, until I saw my endocrinologist for my regular checkup. The blood work I had showed that I developed a hyperactive thyroid, which was why I was losing weight. This also me wonder if the Amitiza CAUSED the hyperthyroidism. I don't think I'll ever find that out, but I had to stop taking Amitiza."

GenieP January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was kinda shady to take this pill cuz of all the bad reviews on it. I have IBS so I thought what do I have to lose? So I took one pill and within 10 minutes this terrible nausea hit me. I even ate before I took it and that didn't help, I was nauseous all day long & I thought scew this I ain't taking it again so I didn't. 2 to 3 days later I started having terrible stomach cramps to the point where I wanted to cry. I had diarrhea & also somewhat of stools. So does the drug make you go? Yeah. Are the side effects worth it? No! This is a really powerful drug with way too many side effects. It also gave me a bad headache"

Pauly Janes December 10, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started on just 8 Mcg and noticed no change at all in a month so my GI decided to up it to 24 I believe. I'm on a lot of medication for chronic pain and tumor damage to my brain so juggling all my meds it took me almost a month to figure out the higher dosage was causing me to throw up every morning. I wake up and take all my morning pills so obviously my stomach is kinda empty and 40 minutes later I'm vomiting with little warning. I thought it was associated with another brain tumor as when I took the pill again at 6 I didn't get sick but by then I had a meal in me. It has helped somewhat with my bowels but I'm still on miralax and stool softener and the copay is pretty high so with all considered and how lousy the side effects are"

OTT on the toilet (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amitiza is the best if you have ibs!"

Acaramel2006aol.com July 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug had no effect on me except for a very strange taste in my mouth. I stopped taking this after 3 weeks. I was on a low dose. Will go to specialist soon to discuss."

Ibsanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I went to the doctor and told him Linzess 290 mg wasn't working for me ( I was lucky to go once a week).,He said I want to try you on Amitiza. He said this should help. Well I have been on it for 3 days and nothing!! I got a headache & chest pain the first day and only headaches on the second and third day. I can't understand why the doctors can't find out the underlying problem. I have tried everything!! I use to take Zelnorm but, they took that off the market. I don't care for this drug! My stomach makes noises and that's it!! I am still miserable!!"

Islandgirl63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this medication at the gastroenterologist office and it has not worked after 2 days of taking it. I went to the doctor because I have been so bloated. Amitiza has worsened the bloating!!!"

bloatedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had problems with IBS for several years I was on Amitiza and one of my physicians took me off it I was off for 5 years started having severe problems with my IBS again my new doctor GI doctor put me back on it and it is a God sent I am back regular again I give this medicine at 10 I have no side effects and I love it thank you"

Tee1https://lh3.googleuserc964 November 17, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried the samples my dr sent me home with. It gave me some of the worst stomach aches of my life. And I didn't go to the bathroom anymore than I normally do. I hated this medication, it made me feel much worse."

Martiemullet August 30, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 30 year old woman who has been suffering from IBS-C since before my teen years. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. There have been times where I would go off the medication because it is rather pricey. And I can tell you, I regret it every time. My IBS-C is so bad to the point where I will go weeks without any relief. And then when I am able to go, I get ridiculously sick for hours prior to the BM. The stomach pains I feel are worse than labor pains, and I would know since I have been through child birth. I only need to take one 8mcg tablet a day (with food, typically lunch time) and I stay regular. If you are struggling with a disease like this, amitiza is totally worth a shot! What do you have to lose?"

ldav85 July 24, 2015

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amitiza has saved my life...seriously. My problem was so bad that I was in danger of rupturing my colon. I ended up in ER and they could not help me so they had to admit me. Needless to say drinking a gallon of nasty stuff and the most embarrassing procedure of my life....i stayed up all night and when they discharged me the Dr gave me Amitiza to take 2 a day. I would recommend you start at 8mg and see how that works. 24 for me took some getting adjusted to so I took 1 a day and if no bm then i took the 2nd. Right now if I do not take 2 a day....I have problems...serious problems. But for me Amitiza is $24 for 60 but I would pay 200 if that is what it took to NEVER go back to ER with this problem"

Idacajun (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Rx Miralax for years, due to a two decade long eating disorder. The Miralax works great, but for some reason my GI wanted to put me on Linzess. He gave me samples, and insurance didn't cover it. They said I had to try Amitiza first. The Linzess didn't work (horrible bloating, cramps, no movement), and the Amitiza is almost worse. I had to call out of work today because of it. I was awake all night, up and down, kept getting sick. 14ish hrs after taking the medicine, I'm having very small movements. Strongly debating calling the office and telling them I'm going back on Miralax and that's it."

No Way Rx April 14, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is great!! A few years back, I had IBS with diarrhea, but it has since changed to IBS-C. It was so bad. I was always in stomach pain, always felt full, just felt terrible and super backed up. I'm a nurse, so I tried ALL the non-pharmacological remedies for constipation. So after reading all of the reviews, I made a GI appt. Thank god I knew about Amitiza because my doctor tried to send me out the door with some pamphlets! Amitiza is a life saver. Just don't forget to take with meals so you don't feel nauseous."

AmitizaFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Awesomeness!"

armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant. "

IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2014

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since."

Ashley L. March 1, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense."

jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!"

Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches."

Love Amitiza! May 31, 2013

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C and chronic constipation after a C-section. I now take Amitiza 24mcg 2x per day. I've been on it for about 10 months. It works fantastic. I can "go" at least once a day now. Amitiza draws fluid from your body to increase bowel movement (I can actually hear it working) so it is important to drink a lot of water and eat before or immediately after. I've noticed that if I don't drink a lot of water, nausea will develop. In addition, IBS-C has caused me to change my diet and exercise. That helped a lot too. NOTE-- If the prescription costs a lot, even with insurance, Amitiza offers a discount card online."

Bloatless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2013

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease as well a Colon issues. My GI started me on Amitiza about 10 days ago. So far it has been great. I do have some cramping a little after a pill but not compared to the constipation cramping that I have had on & off for 15 years. I was lucky he gave me a sample pack good for a month so now I just have to hope my insurance picks it up next month."

INmommX2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2013

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is my second attempt with Amitiza (this time at the lower dose). Unbearably nauseated once again on top of the constipation and abdominal cramping. Does not work for me AT ALL."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2012