User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Constipation, Chronic

Amitiza Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Amitiza

"I started taking Amitiza several months ago because my insurance wouldn't cover a different medication. Honestly, I still find myself needing to take other methods almost weekly for elimination. I haven't had any testing done by a GI specialist yet, so I'm not sure if maybe I just have something more going on that makes the medication ineffective. I didn't expect it to work like a laxative exactly, but I did think I would go more than once or twice a week. Sometimes I still become incredibly bloated with stomach pains from lack of movement, so I don't think it works very well for me."

DB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2018

"Please help. I had a prolapse and rectocele surgery Two weeks ago . I started taking amitiza two days ago and no bm yet. I was told no straining after surgery . Anyone have any ideas ?"

Daisy (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

"Took it for a month and a half, but nothing improved. Didn't experience severe side effect either. So I'm switching to a new drug now and hope it could solve my problem permanently."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

"I used this drug for chronic constipation for years with good results, stopping after I retired and didn't seem to need it any more. More recently I have needed it, and it still works for the most part. You do need to drink a full glass of water with it, per instructions, though a "glass" can be as little as 6 or 8 ounces. If you don't take it with a meal, take it with a big spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter or you will likely have nausea. That is the one side effect I have noticed, but I like peanut/almond butter anyway so it's not a problem. I'm sad that my insurance is going to make me "try" Linzess now instead of Amitiza; I'm a bit leery of that product after reading the reviews."

Mimi123 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2018

"For the past 2 years Ive been struggling with constipation since going through chemo. I finally got referred to see gastroenologist. He put me on a low dose. 8mg twice a day and I can say for me personally I feel like a normal person again!! This is the best medication no side effects so far other than having to go to the bathroom a few times a day. I've tried drinking more water, having more fiber other laxatives and even linzess which was a no after the first pill. Not having the bloat feeling and feeling like you have to struggle to go the bathroom is the worst."

mommy99020613 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

"Have suffered from Chronic Constipation for many years. 'Specialists' may label it "Idiopathic", which sounds technical, but really means "I don't know why, either, so just take this pill, or this other pill", etc. (So WHY not do more research, instead of just prescribing different pills????) Was prescribed LOW-dose Amitiza, and the side effects were absolutely awful !!!! Spent the night in the bathroom! Incredible pain, cramps, bloating, nausea all night! and NO BM! Eventually had a very painful BM at 4:00 A.M., which left me with an inflamed, painful, distended GI system. My doctor says that I should "try Amitiza AGAIN"??? Really? ! This is insane, and unacceptable; and hopefully, in spite of this terrible experience, I think I am still sane! Will keep looking for something that does not include torture as a side effect! God bless!"

RetiredMBA (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"During surgery to correct a prolapsed bladder May 2017, my urogynocologist tightened the vaginal area (cestocele?) and then did a rectocele without my permission as he never mentioned it when I was diagnosed. This has led to severe constipation and nausea, so my family doctor prescribed Amitiza 24 MCG two per day. It helped me have a bowel movement within 24 hours, but now I feel somewhat dizzy and my blood pressure is up. Has anyone else had a rectocele that caused constipation?"

Manny (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

"I have been severely constipated for years after 20 years of chronic diarrhea. Have had to resort to enemas and laxatives just to get some relief. Was on linzess 290 for year and a half and it was so inconsistent when it worked. Started amitiza 24 mcg couple of months ago. You definitely have to eat while taking it literally. I only have to take it once a day now and I feel like it is a miracle. I just hope it doesn't stop working. I am finally feeling normal and not sluggish and miserable anymore. It is quite expensive as my insurance pays very little and I'm out $259 per month. It's definitely worth it to me. I was probably spending more than that on OTC stuff anyway."

FINALLY RELIEF February 12, 2018

"just awful!"

sarajbl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2017

"I've recently started taking Amitiza 24 mcg twice daily for chronic constipation. I wasn't having any luck with OTC remedies. It took me 3 days to finally start have things move. I did experience slight nausea after taking each dose. Tolerable though. Hopefully as the next few days come and go things move along much better."

AnonymouslyfromPa December 2, 2017

"If I could give a 0- I would! 22, chronic, idiopathic constipation since I was 14. Given 24mcg of amitiza twice daily for 1 month. NOTHING HAPPENED. Very very frustrating! Was really looking forward to it working so I could stop taking laxatives in bulk but no dice. Very disheartened. Onto Linaclotide (linzess)...."

Young&constipated (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"I've been on Amitiza for about a year, and while it works, it doesn't work as well as If like it to. I tried the 24 mcg dose at first but it was way too strong, definitely makes you run to the bathroom all day. I then switched to the 8mcg capsules twice a day. If I take them on an empty stomach, I get really nauseated, so I usually take them with a meal. I still had to use Miralax and fiber along with the Amitiza to ensure I stayed regular. Sometimes with all of this, I still got constipated, so I would take a 24mcg dosage and deal with the aftermath. When I did have a BM with Amitiza, it wasn't a "complete " one. It would make me poop out water, but it felt like the bulk of the stool was still left inside. I stopped taking it."

Nurse87lin (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2017

"In the first week I took Amitiza, I thought it was going to be a miracle answer to my chronic constipation. But I had a side effect of severe headaches almost every day....and sometimes all day long. Since I already have migraines, I blamed it on them getting worse.....even though the symptoms were different. First the headache would start, and within 5-10 minutes a gush of uncontrollable diarrhea. I kept blaming it all on migraines and seeking treatment for them. Finally, because of the expense of this one medication and having to take so many more, I had to stop taking Amitiza. Within just a few days, the headaches with diarrhea stopped. This is an excellent product if you don't have the side effects."

Bunky O June 23, 2017

"Incredible experience. I started having chronic constipation shortly after joining the military. I had intense constipation all the time and was completely dependent on laxatives. After one year, I had a colonoscopy to see what was the problem, but there was nothing. I've met with a dietician, made a food log, tried tons of fiber, supplements, but nothing worked. After one more year, Miralax stopped working, and I was prescribed Amitiza. Amitiza immediately made me regular, I've only taken four pills total, after 3 weeks, and I've been the most regular ever in two years. Only fault is it makes me nauseous for a couple hours. I wish I had this years ago!"

Owen111111 May 30, 2017

"I have been using amitza for a week. You need to take this LITERALLY WITH FOOD. If you have eaten lets say an hour before, do not take it. It will cause you severe painful stomach type of nausea. I feel after taking this. It causes me some type of stomach cramps. Not severely painful that will cause you to curl up in a fetal position but uncomfortable enough that you know its there the weird feeling in your stomach area. I have called my doctor to see if its even worth one more week to try despite the side effects. I have not seen any improvement in my bowel movement."

Angels1111 May 16, 2017

"55 yr old female, chronic constipation my whole life. I have tried everything, OTC to Linzess which did nothing. I am thin, exercise, high fiber, flax, metamucil, probiotic, and nothing. I go 4-5 days then take 3 ducolax, magnesium citrate and pray. Now that doesn't work. Colonoscopy ruled out anything "serious". Prescribed 24mcg Amitiza. Ate breakfast took the pill and within an hour I was SO SICK. I had explosive diarrhea, felt faint, nauseous, cold chills and sweating. Laying on my bathroom floor going back and forth to the toilet, thought I would throw up too. But I went! I did not take it again because of the side effects. Doc gave me 8mcg. I'm scared to take it. It's awful that I would even think of taking it again just to go to the bathroom"

coach17 May 11, 2017

"2 weeks is working very good for me no complaints. Medication has changed my life "FINALLY SOMETHING THAT'S WORKING""

Good intentions (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

"Amitiza has worked great for me every time that I have taken it. I only have to take it as needed. It works very fast! Usually between 30 min-1hour. Longest it has ever taken was 3 hours. No cramping or distention. Only problem is the diarrhea, sometimes explosive. Still better than being constipated to the point of impaction though. Word of caution: If you take it, beware of passing gas...it sometimes isn't just gas you are feeling...lets just say you may be in a bit of a messy situation if you aren't careful!"

AnonymousUser104 March 26, 2017

"I recently started Amitiza at the 24mcg dose twice a day for terrible constipation not resolved with tons of water, veggies, fruits, flax, chia, bottles of Miralax, or Linzess. I have taken it for 4.5 days with NO results at all. How long is this supposed to take to work? I have the side effects of nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, hot flashes then so cold I shiver, body aches like I am coming down with the flu, joint pain. And believe me, I would put up with all of this if I could just go! But nothing is happening. I even increased my fluid intake to 3L per day, which is ridiculous. Does anyone have suggestions out there?"

Disappointed and feeling yucky (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

"I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man."

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

"After reading all the previous reviews of Amitiza I felt compelled to add my experience. The first morning I took it with a meal and plenty of water and went to work. Mistake! Jeff Foxworthy jokes about the side effects of certain medications, like fecal incontinence. I can assure you it's no laughing matter when it happens to you. Within 1 1/2 hrs. it began. My stomach was full of gas, and I was worried sick all day about not knowing when my issue would start. That evening I took my second dose and about three hours later had leakage on my sheets. I had just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on Synthroid. The combination of my age, Synthroid and Amititiza=fecal incontinence according to the "eHealthMe" website."

62 year young woman (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

"This medicine caused me to have severe anxiety and to feel not like myself. In addition, my throat felt like it was closing up and I more than likely had some type of reaction to this medication. I hated the entire experience being on this medicine. Try the healthy route of doing FODMAPS in your diet. That has helped me through IBS issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

"I have has chronic IBS with constipation forever. At one point, I thought I had an obstruction, but didn't. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed 8mcg of Amitiza twice per day. It worked pretty quickly, but then didn't seem to anymore. I had a lot of the side effects that other people mentioned including gas, bloating, and bad stomach pains. I now take two 24 mcgs per day and figured out that if I take one before bed and one an hour before I get up, I don't have major issues. I go every morning completely and feel great for the rest of the day. I hope this helps other people trying this medication."

Kellj (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

"I am in my early 60s. Have had chronic constipation ever since childhood (2 BMs per week), but it became much worse in the last couple of years (up to 2 weeks without BM). After more than a year of trying to find the optimal amount of Miralax to take per day per GI doctor's instructions, and when to also include stool softeners, I was doing okay (BM every 4 or 5 days), but had occasional leakage. I started Amitiza two weeks ago at my internist's suggestion, two 8mg pills twice a day. It was like a miracle the first week - small to medium daily movements and a couple of large ones. No side effects. But now it stopped working. It has been 7 days with no BM. The last 2 days I took 24 mg. Also ate prunes and took stool softeners. Nothing yet."

LYBL098 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

"I have been Taking Amitza for about a week and having a very limited bm every 3 days, I get terribly nauseated in about 20 minutes after taking it and last evening after dinner I became sick and vomited. My stomach is so bloated and hurts from the extreme pressure. I took the Linzess and at first it worked and after a month it stopped.I am not going to take this med tonight. I was taking 8 mcg 2x a day with meals. I might go back to Linzess and take with Miralax to see if that would work."

Maryjewe l October 18, 2016