User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Constipation, Chronic

Amitiza has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 132 ratings for the treatment of Constipation, Chronic. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Amitiza Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Amitiza

Reconn · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2014

“I've had chronic constipation all my adult life. Tried Linzess, it worked for a month then stopped. Doctor started me on Amitiza (24 mg) and it is a miracle. I've been on for four months now. After a life of 7-10 days between bowel motions, I now go comfortably 3-4 times per week. No pain, very little gas. It's a miracle for me.”

Kellj · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2016

“I have has chronic IBS with constipation forever. At one point, I thought I had an obstruction, but didn't. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed 8mcg of Amitiza twice per day. It worked pretty quickly, but then didn't seem to anymore. I had a lot of the side effects that other people mentioned including gas, bloating, and bad stomach pains. I now take two 24 mcgs per day and figured out that if I take one before bed and one an hour before I get up, I don't have major issues. I go every morning completely and feel great for the rest of the day. I hope this helps other people trying this medication.”

Bill M · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2014

“Thank God for modern medicine! Constipation may seem to those who don't suffer from it in its severe form to be a minor issue, it is NOT! When going to the bathroom induces fear and anger because you know that you will spend the next 45 minutes suffering doing what others take for granted it's time to get help. After a year of using Fleets and OTC meds which did nothing I was finally given Amitiza and It was a little miracle. Don't suffer, demand this medication don't let your MD's tell you to take OTC meds which do nothing or next to nothing. I had to suffer a fissure before finally getting this simple solution to a horrible problem. Don't wait until it's a very serious medical problem deal with it now.”

Rose1334#!! November 20, 2015

“I have had Chronic idiopathic Constipation all my life. I am a 64 year old female. I had hemorrhoid surgery at 18 and again at 28. I remember as a young girl straining to have a bowel movement, I have tried all kinds of laxatives lubricant, fiber, stimulants, motility drugs, and everything in between. I have been taking Amitiza for 8 days and I've had 6 BM'S. WONDERFUL, LIFE CHANGING MEDICATION I have had no side effectsand my insurance covers most of the drug. I am so excited I don't know what to do.I would advise anyone with CIC to give this drug I tried. it has been a lifesaver for me I'm so glad I found out about it”

Ash December 9, 2019

“I have had opioid-related constipation for approximately the last 6 months. I had tried Colace, Miralax, apricots, prunes - anything I knew of that might help. I eventually ended up using enemas every few days to make sure that I went to the bathroom because it was starting to cause me terrible stomach pains. I have only been on Amitiza for a little over a week, and it has only helped me go to the bathroom one time, and it really wasn't like a complete BM. After taking it, I have a severe headache and nausea. Is this just a phase of the beginning of taking this medication? I don't know, but I can't deal with this being sick constantly. All I want to do is be in bed because moving around makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit. I know this might not be a problem for everyone, but for me...this medicine is not helping but only making things worse.”

Myesha · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2013

“I am a 25 year old female. I have been constipated since I was a baby and nobody knew why. I always had to strain to go to the bathroom. As a matter of fact I had to mentally prepare. I had to focus on my breathing to try to cope with the pain and fear of going to the bathroom. Sometimes it would take me 2 hours for nothing. I have used Amitiza for 18 months now AND IF THEY EVER TOOK IT AWAY I WOULD START A RIOT. I go to the bathroom about 4 times a week. No pain,no strain, and its soft and not hard. My stomach is so much flatter. I can see I actually have a shape. I lost 10 pounds of waste the first 2 weeks. I feel lighter and happy. Going to the bathroom is a breeze. Sometimes I get nausea. But the cons are light compared to the pro.”

Sally B. · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

“I am a 27-year old female who suffers from life-long chronic idiopathic constipation. Much like most of you, I have tried everything the FDA has approved under the sun. Ran out of options and was prescribed Amitiza. I took two capsules the first day and was the most sick I have ever been. Projectile vomiting, shaking, faintness, heart palpitations, tight chest, and liquid stool. I was close to calling 911, but vomiting brought me back to life, so to speak. I completely emptied my bowels, the price of becoming that ill was not worth it. I have stopped taking it and am so heartbroken. I was hoping this would be it. The cure. I wasted so much money on the prescription.”

AnonymousUser104 March 26, 2017

“Amitiza has worked great for me every time that I have taken it. I only have to take it as needed. It works very fast! Usually between 30 min-1hour. Longest it has ever taken was 3 hours. No cramping or distention. Only problem is the diarrhea, sometimes explosive. Still better than being constipated to the point of impaction though. Word of caution: If you take it, beware of passing gas...it sometimes isn't just gas you are feeling...lets just say you may be in a bit of a messy situation if you aren't careful!”

Anonymous July 7, 2008

“I've been taking this medicine for about 6 months, and it has made a world of a difference. I've had constipation for over 8 years, I'm in my late 20s, healthy, female, & moderately active. Things that normally would give others runny diarrhea, like prune juice, I would barely see any effect. After being tired of painful amounts of fiber intake & OTC stool softeners that didn't help enough, my doctor put me on this twice a day, & it works great. I had few side effects, and only for about a week.”

holy girl g · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2015

“After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast. ”

Disappointed and feeling yucky · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2017

“I recently started Amitiza at the 24mcg dose twice a day for terrible constipation not resolved with tons of water, veggies, fruits, flax, chia, bottles of Miralax, or Linzess. I have taken it for 4.5 days with NO results at all. How long is this supposed to take to work? I have the side effects of nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, hot flashes then so cold I shiver, body aches like I am coming down with the flu, joint pain. And believe me, I would put up with all of this if I could just go! But nothing is happening. I even increased my fluid intake to 3L per day, which is ridiculous. Does anyone have suggestions out there?”

Relieved! July 2, 2013

“I absolutely love this medicine. Was so constipated that all I did was sleep. Was miserably "full" with Bowel Motion maybe once every 1 to 2 weeks. Nothing else worked for me. Slight nausea sometimes (which is nothing). My energy level is restored. I thank God for giving man the knowledge to make this medicine.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2021

“I am 21 years old and I have struggled with Chronic Idiopathic Constipation my entire life. I was prescribed 24 mcg of Amitiza and took it for a year and a half. Overall, I had a positive experience with it and I recommend it to other people. The first two weeks I was on it, I experienced some intense nausea but that subsided after my body adjusted, just make sure you take it with a full meal. I also suggest making sure you are consuming enough water throughout the day. Amitiza worked very well for me in the beginning but throughout my time, I needed to ensure I was drinking enough water in order for it to work properly. The only reason I am switching to Linzess is because my insurance no longer covers Amitiza :/. Hope my experience helps someone out there!”

So relieved!!!!! · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2013

“I have been taking this medicine for about two weeks now and I must say it is heaven sent. There's nothing worse than being compacted with waste and having that constipation sensation constantly. What prompted me to invest in this "life saver" was one day like some of you I went to use the restroom and yet again as usual I was constipated so I was frustrated and everything else so I forced my bowel movement and when I finished I was bleeding. I made an appointment with doctor and today I'm so glad I did. So, so, so happy now.”

OldMan9 · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

“I have suffered Chronic "Idiopathic" Constipation since turning 60, years ago. (Note: When doctors say the very technical sounding term "Idiopathic", that means, "I don't know, either). Have tried EVERYTHING with little or no success. MOM. Miralax, Citrucel, Metamucil, docusate sodium, Senakot, fruit juices, increased hydration, etc. Recently, my current gastroenterologist (who, otherwise is fine) prescribed Amitiza. Took it before going to bed around 11:00 P.M. ----- Woke up at 3:00 A.M. with the WORST, abdominal pain and spasms I've had in my life. Though about calling an ambulance or driving to the ER, but decided to stay home, in case the Amitiza laxative suddenly caused a BM on the way. Sat on the toilet holding on to my abdomen in horrible pain and spasms for several hours. Very little result. Will not take again.”

Dave in CA June 16, 2015

“my doctor put me on Amitiza yesterday. 2 hours after taking this medication I had a BM. I had gone a week without a BM. I have suffered from Constipation all of my life. Normally I would have one BM a week on a good week two. I was always in pain, full and just uncomfortable. I cant tell you how good it feels to be "normal" I have had two more BM's today. For some this may not seem exciting but only if you have suffered from Chronic Constipation would you understand. I would recommend this to any one., I have not suffered any of the side effects that others have talked about for me it has been a God send. The only negative comment I would have is the price as insurance does not cover it and it was over $300.00 a month”

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

“I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man.”

Magdelina · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2016

“I am 55 and have been living with IBS-C for the last 10 yrs. My doctor started me on Amitiza a week ago. I am on 24mcg twice daily. I took my initial dose at the beginning of a meal. It caused pretty severe nausea, but really cleaned me out with 4 or 5 small BM's ranging from normal to explosive diarrhea. I have taken each subsequent dose in the middle of a meal, and have had the most normal bowel pattern than I have had in years. No more nausea, reflux, cramping or gas. This med is allowing me to have several small BM's daily, as opposed to using laxatives, which is miserable. I hope it continues to work! I'm using samples from my doctor right now. Not sure if insurance is going to cover it.”

Jessi W. · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 2, 2013

“As a survivor of very severe anorexia, I had renal failure and am now not able to produce the correct mucus or "lubrication" in my intestines. This causes bowel movements to be infrequent and painful. Amitiza is a god send. Works just like it should. Was on 16 mcg twice a day but was just put on 24 mcg twice a day with 40mg Zegrid. Not sure which one is causing nausea, but Amitiza never did it before. Has made bowel movements much easier.”

KepuhiGirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2016

“I have had constipation my entire life (I'm nearly 64). My father (deceased) was a Physician & kept things 'working' with various medications. As an adult, and after being diagnosed with Lupus in '84, it gradually worsened. I had tried everything. My normal routine was a bowel movement every 5-7 days, and then it was difficult. I have been hospitalized for impaction.In the more recent years I have been on a Miralax type product twice a day & 24mcg of Amitiza (once or twice a day). Amitiza is the ONLY thing that has ever worked. I can't remember how long it took to 'kick' in, but after decades of food not transitioning through my system, I was patient. I couldn't function without it. I feel somewhat normal now. AMAZING!”

happy camper · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 31, 2013

“This is the only thing that has worked! A bit of gas, but no problems otherwise. Insurance is not covering it because of the expense, but it is worth the expense to be regular again after years of trying everything under the sun. 24 mcg 2x daily with food and I'm a happy camper!”

Autumn December 17, 2019

“I started taking amitiza when I was around 16-17. I was on it for about 2 years. I had tried a lot of drugs before my pediatric doctor finally landed on this one. My family and I were hesitant to try it because of how expensive it was, but we felt like we were out of options. It was the first med that actually worked other than stimulant laxatives. I remained on the highest dose of amitiza during my time on it. I had no side effects. I eventually stopped taking it because the medicine began to stop working. It was basically a gradual decline of efficiency near the end. I don't regret taking it even though it stopped working. I switched to linzess and its working just as well. If linzess stops working, my plan is to switch back to amitiza and see if it'll work again. If you're considering trying amitiza, I would. Just make sure you try it on your day off if you're worried about side effects”

bannanas · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2013

“I tried everything. EVERYTHING. Finally, something that works for me, but it took a few days to kick in--probably because I was so constipated. After that, I've have a great experience. Regular for the first time in over 40 years! I would give this a 10 except it does give me a tiny bit of nausea, especially in the morning. It is pretty minor compared to the pain and bloating of chronic constipation. No bloating! The major drawback is the cost and the fact that insurance is so picky about covering it...and will only do so for a limited amount of time. ”

Mimi123 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2018

“I used this drug for chronic constipation for years with good results, stopping after I retired and didn't seem to need it any more. More recently I have needed it, and it still works for the most part. You do need to drink a full glass of water with it, per instructions, though a "glass" can be as little as 6 or 8 ounces. If you don't take it with a meal, take it with a big spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter or you will likely have nausea. That is the one side effect I have noticed, but I like peanut/almond butter anyway so it's not a problem. I'm sad that my insurance is going to make me "try" Linzess now instead of Amitiza; I'm a bit leery of that product after reading the reviews.”

Empty in AL February 17, 2012

“Have had problems for over 4 years. Nothing worked. Tried everything doctor said (gastro specialist), nothing worked. Finally a PA at a local clinic suggested Amitiza and what a change. No major side effects. Have even lost weight, more energy, no bloating and expecially no more digging the crap out just to get relief! No more bleeding and hemorroids from straining too much. Made me feel like a totally different woman. It also helped me control my blood sugar better. This is truly a miracle. Would not be without it.”