User Reviews for Linzess

Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"Took Linzess for one month. Side effect is diarrhea so I stayed close to bathroom. Diarrhea tapered off. On day 31 diarrhea hit hard all day. I don't like the severe diarrhea. I skipped one dose and bowel movement was normal."

Catt73338888 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have suffered from constipation for years. Only going about once a month, usually brought on by menstrual cramps. I've been in and out of the ER having them clean me out. Nothing seemed to work. And this works way too well. I take one pill and about 3 hours later I have ungodly diarrhea for the next few hours. I'm not complaining it takes away the pain and the bloating and the miserable from the constipation. But I have no idea how people would take one capsule every day. Once I've taken a capsule and have the diarrhea for a few hours I seem to not have any trouble for a few months. The doctor had originally give me samples enough for 30 day supply. But I've only had to use 5 in the last year."

SLO going (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had positive experience with Miralax, but I'm not supposed to use that long term. I tried Linzess for 2 weeks. I wound up with constipation, hemorrhoids, blood, and pain. Not fun! I'm back with what works for me. Linzess was a waste of my time. I'm now gun shy to try anything else."

Psycho 1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Has been a wonder drug for me! Have suffered from extreme constipation for years. Now have a regular bowel movement about 2 hrs after I take it. Took about 2 weeks to work so give it some time! Have never had the diarrhea side effect."

Karenburkeh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It does not work for me. Has anyone else ever realized that capsule is empty or is it just my bottles I open the capsule up I am on one45 MCG one to two times daily I quit taking it because it was not working I started back on it 6 days ago then today open the capsule and realized there is nothing in it!"

arnau January 22, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got these as samples from my doctor for constipation, these pills worsened my anxiety. I started feeling very nervous and shaking, after two days of taking these I realized it was these pills that triggered my anxiety. Plus I didn't noticed them help with my constipation. Maybe if I would have taken them longer they would have helped."

Unknown95 January 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I immediately began bleeding from my rectum after taking this medication. It was painful and I had to be rushed to the emergency room. I don't recommend anyone taking this medication."

richard taylor (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After suffering ulcerative colitis for almost 20 yrs (bleeding, occasional diarrhea) But regular daily BMs, I suddenly just stopped going. Period. I tried OTC laxatives, diet change, water, etc. nothing worked but several glycerin suppositories a few mornings a week. My gastric had me try Linzess which works - I take it when I wake about 6AM about 3 days a Wk when I can be home until at least mid AM. It usually works within 2 1/2 hrs. I might try it at night."

GoNo with Colitis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Linzess works great for me. If you are going too much when you take it once a day, cut back by taking it every other day and that should help the diarrhea too. If you are still having too much diarrhea, take it every third day. I would be glad I wasn't constipated any more!!!! Not going is worse than diarrhea any day. Hopes this info helps. "

Bonjovismirk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 31, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm Classic IBS - C. Haven't had a normal bowel movement in years. I have tried everything and have seen leading specialists in Los Angeles. I've tried soluble fiber, gluten free, FODMAPS, stool softeners, drugs such as bentyl, desipramine...nothing works. A leading specialist at UCLA prescribed Linzess. I started with the 145mg dose - nada - then went to 290 and it was a storm!!! The first time I took it I thought I would have to go to the ER I was so sick. After a taking it for a few months the pain got less, but it still gives me explosive, violent diarrhea that can last up to 3 to 4 hours. I take it about twice a week, it's the lesser of two evils theory. I take it at bed time and if I'm lucky I wake around 4 am and go until about 7."

Mr IBS (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"On day 18 I take linzess 290 as prescribed every morning and still go days without a bm or when it does work, I have to go all day. I also have a constant belly ache. The doctor said it should even out after 3 to 4 weeks. I won't be able to find out as I can't afford it as it costs over $300, and that is with the linzess coupon that claims you pay only $30! What a scam"

coolheidi (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm a 49 yrs. woman and I have a different situation than most. I have ICC. Mine is caused by a rare auto- immune liver disease. I have stage 4 scarring of the bile ducts that run through my liver. The enzymes try to get to the food to help digest but it runs into a scarred liver. The process of breaking down food takes so long for me that food just doesn't move fast enough. That's how I get backed up and so distended in my belly.I look 6mo. pregnant sometimes. I can't say enough about Linzess. It's helped me so much. I have to take my dose at night so I can be close to the bathroom as many times as I need to be..Usually within 2-4 hours, I hear gurgling, nothing painful and yep..time to go...Lol! I'm thrilled and feel so much better!"

LisaAIHICCPBC (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking linzess for a few months now. I have diarrhea almost every day which most times leads to accidents. I went to my GI specialist and she suggested i take IB Gard to help with the diarrhea. I am tired of having diarrhea every day and not knowing when its gonna come. I go to work and I still have accidents at work it's embarrassing and disgusting. I have not have any help with bloating or stomach pain. I was on 145 of linzess but that didn't work very well so the doctor put me on 290 it just makes me feel miserable."

tiffum December 9, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Only gave LInzess an 8 because just don't know yet - it's too early to give it an educated rating. I have taken Linzess only twice. I took it last Friday and I went to the bathroom for 3-4 hours. It was like a colonoscopy prep. I fasted on Saturday (as I do twice a week) so I didn't take one. Sunday I went to a Christmas party and was afraid to take one. Monday I had workers here working in and around the bathrooms so I didn't take one. Finally, yesterday I took one yesterday and I experienced cramps and small hard stools several times that came out like an explosion. Not going to give up yet. Going to take another today. If I have to stay home for a few days and condition myself I will do it. Have had constipation all my life."

Dideep (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take my linzess every morning as prescribed but yet I still get constipated I can go 3-4 days without having a movement even though I'm taking linzess"

Tzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So I have been constipated since I was an infant. Only the colonoscopy bowel preps would ever give me a full bowl movement.. I would drink that magnesium citrate when I got to bloated and uncomfortable. My GI dr gave me some Linzess samples to try. I used Miralax at night and Linzess in the morning. On the first day, my body was shocked and my bowels ejected lol... the second day I was constipated again. Third day, small bowel movement. I am hoping it will help with my abdominal pain and bloat and I am sick of being in constant pain and discomfort."

RebekahO (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I bled from my rectum after using this medicine. I had stomach cramps as well. I recommend that you never use this medicine unless you want to be in severe pain."

KingJames2016 December 2, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had chronic constipation since I was a child. Diet, exercise, water, fiber supplements, medications, Miralax; nothing helped. I was taking Ex-Lax and Duralax 1-2 times a week to clear myself out, designating "laxative days" because they would take so long to take effect. I suffered from previous impactions, enemas, colonoscopies, seen multiple gastroenterologists; until I found my current doctor who prescribed a Linzess, Miralax combination. It took a little tweaking to get to the right dosage for me but it worked right away. I had never known what it was like to have even semi-weekly bowel movements, let alone daily! It generally takes about 2 hours to work and then I have my whole day ahead. LOVE IT"

Sarah S November 29, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was put on Linzess a few weeks ago. I have struggled with chronic constipation for many years. I have tried every OTC laxative with no luck. I didn't think this would work. For the first week, it didn't do anything for me. I was losing hope. Then by the 2nd week, it was creating softer stools to be passed. I had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago, and I had to take bowel prep, which cleaned me completely out. I have also switched to a gluten-free diet, which has helped greatly (and I honestly didn't think it would). I take Linzess every other day now instead of every day. It still works for me. However, it works a lot quicker than it did prior to the colonoscopy. I don't have to run to the bathroom, but I can feel it when it kicks in."

JVB78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am SO happy with this medication! I've struggled with chronic constipation for so long I forgot what it feels like to have a "normal" BM. My constipation was so bad that I've had frequent visits to the ER for severe abdominal cramps (comparable to labor pains), and each time I was told I had severely dilated colon and impaction. I've been on lactulose, Mirilax, Go-lytly, laxative teas, and even drinking a bottle of Magnesium-Citrate. NOTHING worked. Now I'm on a daily dose of Linzess and I HAVE to share my success story with others. It worked! And I couldn't be happier!"

MissesShepherd (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication is definitely not for everyone. Be careful when you take it for the first few times and make sure you are close to a restroom! I have struggled with constipation my whole life and my dr finally gave me linzess to try. About 2-3 hours after taking the medication I have at least 2 BMs that are diarrhea. And the gas it creates is horrible for me and everyone around me. I have been taking this medication for one week and I can't even continue to see if it will subside because it is just too terrible. To the point that I am scared I will have an 'accident' at work. My point to others is - beware."

Ally04 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After a couple of stays in the hospital for constipation this year, after taking narcotics while recovering from neck surgery. I also have been chronically constipated for many years, I was prescribed Linzess. I have been on Linzess for a month now. I am regular for the first time in 10 yrs. Everyday. it did take a week or two to get over my body adjusting, and not having to stay home for the run to the bathroom, things are calmer now. My stomach pain is also much better, as is the distension. I feel great. Huge fan of Linzess!"

Bethg33 November 16, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've experienced horrible constipation ever since I had a stroke. Took this as a last resort after trying so many other natural remedies, acupuncture, and eating/drinking more fiber/water ,etc-etc. Took it in the evening and about 2 hours later, had a lot of relief, diarrhea though, but not complaining. Better to go than not! Lots of noise in my stomach after going four times. Hopefully, that will subside."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking this for a few months and i weighed myself when i started it, because ive always fought to loss weight and i gain very easily, and as of a few days ago i had a appointment and i got weighed and im up 15lbs! omg, i felt like i had gained but i didnt think 15. I take 1 pill every other day, cause it controls my life otherwise, when i take it, i have to stay home because im in and out of the bathroom for hours at a time. It does help with the pain and some of the bloating, but the weight gain, nope im not taking it anymore. I havent changed my diet since ive been taking it, i eat mostly a keto diet, as breads and anything carby makes me feel like crap and i get very bloated. I would like another pill for ibs-c /no weightgain"

l.mcola November 14, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Linzess 290 only worked for 3 days then I went right back to chronic constipation. I continued to take it for about 2 months nevertheless. No results. I had terrible side effects -- bloating and cramps. Eventually turned back to old fashioned laxatives out of desperation. I'm still suffering from chronic constipation til today. Change in diet and exercise has had no effect."

Nancy E. November 13, 2016