User Reviews for Linzess

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"I used linzess a couple of months, I didn't like taking it first thing in the morning and then wait 30 minutes before I can take my breakfast. Some days I felt awful after taking it, my stomach felt like it about to explode! My doctor prescribe me with some other drug called trulance and I think it's much more tolerated, and it works better for me."

mariannM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried it to help with BM but it ended up causing a lot of bloating and with diarrhea. Stoped taking and will try something else."

Mary 1875 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My constipation began when I came down with Sjogrens. I have been on linzess for the past year. I have tried all 3 strengths. I tolerate the 72 mcg the best. Linzess is an unpredictable drug for me. Sometimes the drug begins to work within 1 hour of taking and I have a normal bowel movement. Other days it can take up to 6 hours and I have terrible bloating and diarrhea for hours. I do notice when my Sjogrens is flared up the medication side effects are worse."

Kim.N (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this stuff for 1 year after being diagnosed at 49 years old all of a sudden outta nowhere with ibs-c after a case of food poisoning. Has ruined my life. Haven't been able to go on my own in a year without some form of laxative. I started taking the 290 was way too much. Took half pill still way too much. Now I dump the pill contents (which isn't much) into a small tiny condiment bowl and take a dab every 2 days. It works but no matter what dose I take you get diarrhea about 4 times in a row or more after. It's as if you are taking the same stuff you take before a colonoscopy. You are completely cleared out. A 30 day prescription has lasted me 10 months so far. A tiny dab works but it sucks and can't go to work or go out for hours after :("

Mr. singaling (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 145mcg of Linzess 10 minutes before breakfast. My first dose resulted in severe diarrhea for the rest of the day. I have since learned to divide the dose in half and taking it every other day. Since doing this my experience has been great. I usually will have two or three very loose BM''s within 2 or 3 hours and then it's over. I am very happy taking this medicine because I have gotten seriously sick from my chronic constipation. Now I can take Linzess as I need it. Dividing it is a chore because is such a small amount but since my insurance won't cover the 72 mcg dose I have no choice."

aidole October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"There isn't a dosage level low enough for me to tolerate. I have horrible chronic constipation, and Linzess works well to guarantee waste is evacuated . But regardless of how much I tried to ensure I was getting a low dosage, Linzess always causes projectile diarrhea (if that's a thing - but you get the idea). Bottom line, it acts as a laxative to me. But does not evacuate those hard rabbit pellets magnesium citrate laxatives get."

Older lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Linzess 290 mcg. It is a great medicine if you have chronic constipation. I find, as someone else said, that initially my 30 day supply works great. After about 14 days, the effectiveness decreases with time. I keep it in a dry place with the moisture packs but repeatedly have this issue. I contacted Allergan about my findings. They were interested in the quality of the medication and stated they would follow up. I agree that the pills should be packaged in blister packs. Hope they hear our issues and come up with a solution. It is a great medicine."

zyxt September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Linzess for a year and honestly can say it's a life saver ! Of course like any drug it comes with its pros and cons but for the most part to not feel jam packed everyday is such a relief! I also need to plan my day around the drug and I have found a schedule most suitable for my daily routine. I work a full time job and get home around 5pm. I'll take 145 mcg with a bottle of water and eat dinner. I know by now I will not have a BM until 8-9pm. FLUIDS are key! I have rapid diaherra then I'm good to go to bed by 11pm. I've also taken many times before drinking alcohol and the drug would not activate whatsoever (FYI, no other negative sides w/ alcohol). I also drop a few pounds and the following morning always look my leanest!"

JeeS16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible would not recommend to anyone!!!!!!!!"

Jerry 145 September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Male 68 yrs old, chronic constipation for 20 yrs. Started on 145mg for 30 days, results positive. Must drink lots of water. Had BM within 1 hr. No serious side effects. Reduced Rx to 72mg for 2 weeks but stopped working so returned to 145mg. Now BM occurs after 2-3 hrs with no diarrhea. Have abdominal cramps for 6-7 hrs. Going back to Dr. Soon"

Drewgotit (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"56 year old female with a lifetime of chronic constipation which seems to run in the family on my mothers side. After hitting menopause, bm's and the urge to have them simply stopped. I discontinued a bp med controlling migraine flares thinking that was the problem, but serious constipation continued no matter what I ate, drank or took. I saw a gastroenterologist who prescribed Linzess and am VERY pleased. no pain, just drain...and some gurgling intestinal sounds. best remedy EVER."

Celeste61 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with IBS-C a few years ago. This is the only medication that has helped. I don't take it daily because of the cost but it's been just as effective every other day. The first two weeks it caused severe diarrhea within an hour of taking it but then it calmed down to regular bowel movements once a day which is a far cry better than the once a week I experienced before the medication."

CADAVIS83 August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can't impress upon you how my life has changed . 30 years of fighting constant chronic constipation . I have tried EVERYTHING ! Linzess worked after 3 or 4 hours and it was like the flood gates opening . After using Linzess for 3 months daily I figured I could try taking it every other day but that didn't work . I stayed on it a few more weeks and then the miracle occurred . I weaned myself off of it and it's now going on 6 months that I have not taken ANYTHING for constipation and I wake up every morning and have a well formed BM . I can't remember ever being so regular in my life . I FEEL THAT LINZESS CURED MY CHRONIC CONSTIPATION . My theory is that taking it daily for months wiped out the bad intestinal flora . I've been reborn !"

30 yrs of Chronic constipation (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started Linzess 290mcg yesterday morning and took another this morning both 30 mins before eating or drinking and so far no bowel movement at all. Still waiting...and it's 5 pm on the second day.. My gastro started me on this med as he is looking into my chronic pelvic pain. I usually 'go' about 5 x week. And that has been the same my entire life. Hopefully soon..."

Diwaitingforabm (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm suffering from IBS per say constipation all my life, been using OTC meds stool softeners, laxatives, teas, Linzess 145, for over a year now, yes sometimes it works sometimes not helping at all back to suppositories as needed, fiber etc. Definitely I GAINED so much weight now I need my Gastro visit to renew RX.....expensive copay PPO BCBS....I'm thinking stopping it and I might lose weight. In time just natural remedy........."

RN lactation counselor July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this product for three days. My worst and only side effect now is that it makes me feel so tired. I can't take it in the morning so I have started trying it at night. Can't wake up very well in the am but it beats the pain I had before I started it. I was so impacted I could barely bend over."

Ibsqueen (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Male 67 years. Drug was effective in 2 days. Take it at 6:00 am each day with big glass of water. Produces a BM within 1 hour. After taking for over 30 days, producing a watery stool. I am experimenting by taking every other day. Too soon to offer opinion."

Darwin2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Holy Hell! I suffer from chronic constipation, IBS and I have Diverticulosis. I tried fiber products that you mix with water, chia seed, every laxative and nothing worked "right". Laxatives gave me cramps and fiber gave me bloat. I took Linzess 145mcg and 30 mins later I literally exploded at least 8 times. Over a month I took it 2-3 times a week, couldn't handle daily. But I did lose pounds. From 142 to 128. It has helped me so much I love it! I've always been thin but my gut was growing. Problem solved. No more constipation! Highly recommend it, but stay close to a toilet."

LovingIt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I take linzess it work best when you eat exactly a half hour after you take it and eat a lot of fiber. Linzess seems to not work if you miss a day. Got to take it daily."

Anonymous July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have stayed alive with Linzess since 2012 when this wonderful drug hit market. This is my problem, as others have said, Linzess is highly susceptible to moisture. My 30 day prescription always works up to about day 20 then starts to fade and stop working near the end of the month. If some one with connection could only contact the drug company and tell them about this problem we are having and ask them to start selling this Rx in Blister pack 30 day packaging, it would make life a lot easier for us CIC folks."

north woods (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had the worst bout of constipation from opioid treatment for pain. I have always had somewhat soft and very loose stools until years of opiate treatments. I tried every softener OTC, Laxative, etc. I also tried all prescriptions available that should help and none did, making me feel like I was blocked up. I went for a heart cath surgery and was clogged for 14 days. My doctor gave me Amitiza and it seemed to work great until my 3rd dose where it completely stopped working. I tried Linzess, even though it wasn't meant for OIC. My God, it worked the best ever. I never knew that passing stool wasn't supposed to be uncomfortable and Linzess made the pain go away and stool pass regularly! Ins didn't cover normally without a huge battle!"

All Clogged Up (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really works when all else fails. I would be lost without it. If you are really stopped up, you may need to add a stool softener too at east temporarily."

CA Hawk July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 45 yr old woman who has had IBS with chronic constipation for years. I've been dependent on laxatives for years mainly suppositories. Even strong laxatives have little effect on me. I hate taking meds and often just do not take care of my gut. Well that's all changing since I wound up at the ER last weekend with a terrible back up. I saw my GI Dr and he gave me some samples of linzess 290 mcg. I'm taking that every morning along with a probiotic, a stool softener and high fiber diet. It's only been 3 days but so far I've felt activity down there and had a BM yesterday morning and today. I still needed a suppository but I hope by this and probiotic and diet change i can be more regular."

My2kidsmomaz July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for a while now. Without it I cannot go to the bathroom but with it I get diarrhea. It seems to mess with the consistency of my stool. It's good to feel cleaned out but it interrupts one's day and made me feel like I always had to be near a bathroom. It works (typically) within 2-3 hours. I wish that the 72 was a low enough dosage but it's not and amitiza is ironically also too strong yet no OTC remedies work well enough for me. Hopeful another solution will come with time"

Annoyedbyconstipation June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I spoke with my doctor about constipation I am having on this diet. He walked me in the supply closet and handed me a sample of Linzess. I go to my desk and sit and start working away, about 30 minutes later my life would be forever changed. This medicine was made in the deepest, fiery depths of hell, this was a nuclear bomb I just swallowed. I am sure of it. As I am sitting at my desk and feel my stomach wrenching and bending as if someone was hand washing my colon, every inch of it, then the sweat, as if I had just ran a half mile marathon in record time. I am sitting at my desk still thinking it could not be this medicine I literally just took it 34 minutes ago I kept thinking. How can one pill in 34 minutes solve a lifelong problem? I will tell you how because satan himself is in this capsule. I immediately run to the bathroom because once again someone is hand washing every inch of my intestine..Oh Lord make the pain go away, and then he answered...The gates to hell opened up and it all began, I sat in a bathroom all day in periodic episodes for a total of 23 times. Please friends beware, I have warned you don't trust a medicine that can cure a lifelong problem in 30 minutes. I even heard my physician do a evil giggle as I scurried into the bathroom. I truly believe it was payback for my extended lunches."

Handwashed (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017