User Reviews for Linzess

Linzess Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"Do not take this drug. I am completely healthy other than constipation. I do not drink, smoke or take other medications and am a healthy weight. Yet within 30 minutes of taking this drug my face and arm on the left began to go numb like a light paralysis. This sensation spread to my right arm, face, tongue and then into my throat and chest - eventually leading to numbness and tingling in the legs and toes. It felt like a heart issue or stroke so we went to the ER. These symptoms were due to a reaction from the drug causing a severe and dangerous drop in blood pressure. I’m still not back to normal. Oh and as an added insult it didn’t even make me go to the bathroom."

MomOfSeven (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

"Linzess was pretty good the first month but it eventually got worse with very annoying stomach pain that kept me up all night and rapid weight loss."

Alph (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

"I got samples from my Dr. I've lived with chronic constipation probably all my life. The pain this medicine gave me is not worth taking it. My stomach felt like it was being thrashed. Horrible pain with nausea. One morning I took it as prescribed (I hadn't taken one in a week) and am hour later I was overcome by projectile diarrhea. No warning. Couldn't even make it to the bathroom. The two times I've taken this, this is what has occurred. An enema was better than this. I'll never take it again and I will share my experience with this to anyone considering getting on it."

Vikki March 25, 2018

"Dr prescribed linzess after years of chronic constipation. I am not sure how to regulate dosage because I can not take it every day because it gives me diarrhea. I take it every other day but the day that I do not take it, I become very bloated but can not produce a bowel movement. I have tried to take every day but I have to be home for very crampy diarrhea. Very good product but can not get the true benefits of the product."

BUG (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

"Miracle drug for me! I’d suffered from lifelong constipation without any hope of a cure. Finally, my Dr. prescribed Linzess after determining that I had a redundant colon. Talk about amazing results! I didn’t even know what diarrhea was after a lifetime of pain and suffering passing petrified rocks through my sphincter. When others refer to “blowout” results, this brought tears to my eyes! No more pain. No more bloating. No more heartburn. Nothing but pure joy! After a few weeks, my doctor lowered my dosage to 145mcg, so I could walk the streets and go to work without fear. Most important thing is to take it daily, and DRINK WATER, otherwise blockages will return and then you may have pain or bloating again with the good fighting with the bad to get to the finish line. Otherwise, I didn’t know it was even possible to have a bowel movement daily (I’d averaged once a week), let alone multiple times, without bleeding or blowing an O ring in the process. Amen for Linzess!"

CraigP451 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

"I am a 23 year old female and I’ve been taking linzess (290mcg) for over 2 years. I used to take it as prescribed, until one day it just stopped working. I used to be able to go every morning 2-4 times (diarrhea) no problem, until it just stopped. It started to feel like I was getting very backed up. All those nasty toxins in my belly and intestines. I went back to my GI and they performed a colonoscopy. I took a few weeks off linzess and started taking it again as prescribed. Sometimes it’s a hit or miss, which sucks because I work in emergency services, and it’s hard to go when you’re in the middle of a 911 call. Linzess helped me lose 15 lbs as well, but once it stopped working I gained most of it back. I do notice if I take linzess at night and have a light snack after, everything I ate and then some comes out and I feel very cleansed. Like I said sometimes it’s a hit or miss and when it’s a miss, I tend to get very bloated and look like I’m 6 months pregnant and I become miserable!"

Karynnk54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2018

"I’m 22 and as far back as I can remember I have always struggled to be able to go to the bathroom regularly without straining to the point of bleeding or relying on magnesium citrate once a week to clean myself out. At first, I was on 145mcg of linzess and after a month of no improvements my dr upped my rx to 290mcg. I’ll usually eat a fat bomb (coconut oil) before taking my medicine every morning and this has worked really well for me! Also, going is no longer painful at all! Hopefully this won’t lose its efficacy."

mlapihu1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

"Bad experience for me, couldn't handle the stomach pain."

MayDb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

"I started on the lower dose of 72 mg but after 1 month of still having to take laxative several times a week, got rx for the next highest dose of the 144. It took 2 months to get used to the drug. I have reduced laxatives to just once a week. I drink tons of water all day and I find taking before bedtime works best for me if wanting a morning BM. Was on the whole 30 diet and have lost 7 pounds but since I’ve been on Lynzsis, I’ve lost another 3 lbs off the diet. My waist is smaller and My Abdominal fat is disappearing. This is a nice side effect to have. I only need to lose about five more pounds. I am very satisfied with this medication and the outcome even though I sometimes get occasional diarrhea."

Marg A January 27, 2018

"I have fought constipation my whole life. I use to avoid going to the bathroom because I knew it was going to be like giving birth. I tried everything on the market to help and nothing ever helped. I would be so backed up when I finally would go I would bleed and tear etc it was awful! I even tried smoking to see if it helped. Nothing so I heard about this and asked my dr to try it and she had never wrote it for anyone but she did and it’s been a miracle!"

SamieJo January 19, 2018

"Worst laxative ever I feel bloated all the time on it and doesn't work , it also makes my side hurt a lot. Getting off for sure ugh"

Anonymous January 18, 2018

"Have been on this two + years. Started out on 290 and ended up reducing to 145. I take it at bedtime because I work outside the home. I think I've got the whole picture finally figured out for me. Take a pill at bedtime. Normally between 5 & 6 it's time to go to the bathroom. Have couple BM and it always scares me that I'm going to have issues at work HOWEVER I have noticed the minute I eat something like toast or something light for breakfast then the diarrhea stops and it's safe to leave the house. Just wish I could get some weight off. Otherwise this medicine has been a lifesaver!!!!"

Kprather December 29, 2017

"Male 77 year old with chronic constipation for at least 50 years. I have been using Linzness for 1 month. Having all the issues mentioned above. I take 200-400 mg magnesium . Have also used miralax. Sometime diarrhea sometimes a no go. On day 3 with out a bowel motion I take all 3 meds. After reading other experience I am going to double my water and try taking it 30 minutes before dinner. Thanks for all your input. Does increasing exercise help?"

M pipick (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2017

"I am so happy now. I finally feel empty, have an appetite, am losing weight, and can fit into my clothes. I don’t look pregnant anymore. Aside from a few accidents-which don’t bother me at all- I am thrilled to be in Linzess. It has changed my life!!"

LaSra December 23, 2017

"My doctor started me on Linzess 290mcg to clean me out for a colonoscopy for a possible blockage. After the first day my fibromyalgia is flared worse then anything I can remember. Though it does what promised the pain and weakness is insane. I'm going back to the browncow (prune juice and milk of magnesia) which has the same results without the side effects."

SuziQ210 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"I used linzess a couple of months, I didn't like taking it first thing in the morning and then wait 30 minutes before I can take my breakfast. Some days I felt awful after taking it, my stomach felt like it about to explode! My doctor prescribe me with some other drug called trulance and I think it's much more tolerated, and it works better for me."

mariannM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

"Tried it to help with BM but it ended up causing a lot of bloating and with diarrhea. Stoped taking and will try something else."

Mary 1875 November 30, 2017

"My constipation began when I came down with Sjogrens. I have been on linzess for the past year. I have tried all 3 strengths. I tolerate the 72 mcg the best. Linzess is an unpredictable drug for me. Sometimes the drug begins to work within 1 hour of taking and I have a normal bowel movement. Other days it can take up to 6 hours and I have terrible bloating and diarrhea for hours. I do notice when my Sjogrens is flared up the medication side effects are worse."

Kim.N (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

"I have been taking this stuff for 1 year after being diagnosed at 49 years old all of a sudden outta nowhere with ibs-c after a case of food poisoning. Has ruined my life. Haven't been able to go on my own in a year without some form of laxative. I started taking the 290 was way too much. Took half pill still way too much. Now I dump the pill contents (which isn't much) into a small tiny condiment bowl and take a dab every 2 days. It works but no matter what dose I take you get diarrhea about 4 times in a row or more after. It's as if you are taking the same stuff you take before a colonoscopy. You are completely cleared out. A 30 day prescription has lasted me 10 months so far. A tiny dab works but it sucks and can't go to work or go out for hours after :("

Mr. singaling (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

"I was prescribed 145mcg of Linzess 10 minutes before breakfast. My first dose resulted in severe diarrhea for the rest of the day. I have since learned to divide the dose in half and taking it every other day. Since doing this my experience has been great. I usually will have two or three very loose BM''s within 2 or 3 hours and then it's over. I am very happy taking this medicine because I have gotten seriously sick from my chronic constipation. Now I can take Linzess as I need it. Dividing it is a chore because is such a small amount but since my insurance won't cover the 72 mcg dose I have no choice."

aidole October 1, 2017

"There isn't a dosage level low enough for me to tolerate. I have horrible chronic constipation, and Linzess works well to guarantee waste is evacuated . But regardless of how much I tried to ensure I was getting a low dosage, Linzess always causes projectile diarrhea (if that's a thing - but you get the idea). Bottom line, it acts as a laxative to me. But does not evacuate those hard rabbit pellets magnesium citrate laxatives get."

Older lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

"I have taken Linzess 290 mcg. It is a great medicine if you have chronic constipation. I find, as someone else said, that initially my 30 day supply works great. After about 14 days, the effectiveness decreases with time. I keep it in a dry place with the moisture packs but repeatedly have this issue. I contacted Allergan about my findings. They were interested in the quality of the medication and stated they would follow up. I agree that the pills should be packaged in blister packs. Hope they hear our issues and come up with a solution. It is a great medicine."

zyxt September 19, 2017

"I've been taking Linzess for a year and honestly can say it's a life saver ! Of course like any drug it comes with its pros and cons but for the most part to not feel jam packed everyday is such a relief! I also need to plan my day around the drug and I have found a schedule most suitable for my daily routine. I work a full time job and get home around 5pm. I'll take 145 mcg with a bottle of water and eat dinner. I know by now I will not have a BM until 8-9pm. FLUIDS are key! I have rapid diaherra then I'm good to go to bed by 11pm. I've also taken many times before drinking alcohol and the drug would not activate whatsoever (FYI, no other negative sides w/ alcohol). I also drop a few pounds and the following morning always look my leanest!"

JeeS16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2017

"Horrible would not recommend to anyone!!!!!!!!"

Jerry 145 September 5, 2017

"Male 68 yrs old, chronic constipation for 20 yrs. Started on 145mg for 30 days, results positive. Must drink lots of water. Had BM within 1 hr. No serious side effects. Reduced Rx to 72mg for 2 weeks but stopped working so returned to 145mg. Now BM occurs after 2-3 hrs with no diarrhea. Have abdominal cramps for 6-7 hrs. Going back to Dr. Soon"

Drewgotit (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017