User Reviews for Linzess

Learn more about Linzess.

Linzess Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Chronic.

Reviews for Linzess to treat Constipation, Chronic

"I'm 23 years old. Have been constipated my entire life.. but didn't really realize it wasn't normal until the past couple years. I started Linzess about 3 weeks ago. The first 2 days I HATED it. I felt like I needed to be near a bathroom at all times.. my body then started to regulate it after the first week. I take it 30 min before my protein shake every morning and get my relief before I head into work. Some days it affect me more than others.. but i go at least once a day now. The only downside of it is I have to plan my first part of the morning around taking this medicine.. but it's better than walking around with a bloated belly and brick in my stomach all day!"

cal1175 September 26, 2016

"Wow!"

menacetx September 21, 2016

"Ive battled constipation for the past 16 years. Ive tried every remedy you can think of and have gone through every OTC product recommended. Probiotics and yogurt have been no help either. I finally found relief with Linzess. I currently take the lower dose along with an OTC stool softener per my doctors instructions. Linzess works best on an empty stomach but watch out. You'll want to stay near a restroom for the first 2 hours after taking it as diarrhea is an obvious side effect. Accidents are a possibility if you're not mindful of the medication. Ive been told that the diarrhea subsides after a while of taking Linzess but only time will tell."

Kp16 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"This drug was a miracle for me, I could get relief with magnesium citrate but my doctor said having to resort to that every few days was bad. I have chronic pain syndrome so I need my meds. I tried a few other rx meds but after a few days they stopped working. I use to go everyday before my pain meds stopped me up. But with this med I get relief. I have no cramps or side effects. Two hours after taking this med I'm in the bathroom. I can feel my bowels start to move 30 minutes after I take it. The only down side is my insurance doesn't cover it and it's so expensive I'm going to have to try something else. I hate the fact I found something that works and when the samples are gone I'm out of luck."

Unstopped (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

"IBS and\or constipation has been my problem. Simple advise, take "Docusate" 100 mg it is stool softenerwice a day. Change your eating and drinking habits. Eat a lot of fiber and drink just water. No alcohol and no more carbonated drinks at all. After 3 months your bathroom visit would routinely almost the same time every day, at least 1 or twice a day defending how much you eaten on that day. Observe yourself. Use daily journal and analyze it. Which day you have problem. Change your lifestyle . Help yourself to get healthy include some exercise too. Now most of time I do not have bad symptoms only when I missed my dozage at 1 a day. Good luck to all. Take Docusate "

Roland D September 12, 2016

"I've been on Linzess 290 mcg for 60 days now. I started taking one pill day for 30 days and only had 4 voluntary bowel moments. My doctor's instructor me to take 290 mcg twice a daily and I have been doing so for 60 days now and I am not expericing the mirarles everyone is raving about. I am about ready to give up on Linzess. I have Suffered with chronic constipation and IBS over 20 years and nothing works. Tried, Miralax, Amitiza, pro-biotics and many other OTC drugs. The ONLY thing that has helped is Nopalina which is a flaxseed mixture of fruit skins. That always provide relief. Its not a laxative either. I can't for see paying for more doc visits and expensive meds much longer."

Jackie Bautista (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

"I have been on opioids for about 5 plus years for chronic pains... After a couple of years of using miralax(joke), and several herbal blends and stool softeners.... I asked my dr for help... He gave me Linzess 290mcg ... I've been taking it on an empty stomach in the mornings for 2 weeks, and I haven't even noticed I've taken anything... Except for a little bloating. Linzess should NOT be given for OIC (opiod indused constipation) As it is useless. I will be asking for something else... Maybe relistor? It has preloaded injectables now. Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm desperate!!!! The worse my constipation the worse my body pains are. I'm convinced it's related. I have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, neuromyofascial pain,etc."

Tana959700 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

"Have been taking this off and on for about 3 months. While it definitely causes bowel movements, the side effects are difficult to manage for a busy, working mom. The gas it creates is horrible (for me and those around me) and the spontaneous bouts of diarrhea make me nervous to take it in the morning. I'm taking one pill every night and one in the morning on weekends. I have had great success with Miralax in my morning coffee but when I have to sit a lot for work or travel, it's just not enough, so I tried Linzess."

Jt3stb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016

"Linzess is a savior for me. I took it for a year(low dose) every 4- 5 days. I then began taking it every day. It stopped working for a month. I took some laxatives and then I re started Linzess and only took it ,once again, for every 4 or 5 days. Once a day wasn't natural for me because I had chronic constipation since I was a child. . When I started taking it every 4th or 5th day it started working again.. The only problem with this drug is that it isn't consistent in it's effects so, to be safe, I stay around a bathroom all day and wear an adult diaper if I plan to be out for a few hours."

Brainsell (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016

"Had a good BM within 2 hrs after taking 145 mcg on empty stomach. First semi normal BM in over 6 months! Not straining or blood. I plan on taking it only on days I want to have a BM due to negative reviews about weight gain, diarrhea, and other negative information"

Full2therim August 28, 2016

"I have tried Dulcolax, which will only work if I take 3 or 4. MOM only work if I drink half the bottle. I took one Linzess and started drinking a lot of water, in about an hour was going and had no cramps or bloating feeling. Just don't pass gas because that's probably not what that is. Don't forget the WATER."

TexasTammy August 27, 2016

"It helps me a lot with my constipation issues. But it has done something for me that I don't see anybody mentioning. I've been having constipation problems for over 40 years. The big problem for me was that just going "normal" to the bathroom was not enough for me. When the stool just got a little harder I felt real bad, I couldn't think right, got in a bad mood, felt like intoxicated. In my opinion, my bowels let too many toxins go into my body. As such, I had to take laxative when other person might not need it. Linzess seems to prevent the toxins to go into my body and in doing so, it has had an extraordinary effect on me. The main effect has been that some joint pains that I thought were chronic just disappeared short after I started"

Roberto Gonzalez (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2016

"I am on linzess 290mg for a week. It's amazing how good that works. No cramps, no bloating. I take on a empty stomach every morning. I started going every morning. The 145mg did not work for me."

Ana 10 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"On day 5 of 29 on day 5 of 290 milligram linzess all I have experienced is a lot of gas last evening my stomach was extremely distended not sure if this is going to work for me but I'm not going to give up the fight the constipation is severe and causes major problems in daily living so I'm going to hold on until my next doctor's appointment"

Toniscea August 17, 2016

"I've been taking Linzess a little over a month now for chronic constipation. I used to have a bowel movement about twice a month. And it was like that for at least 10 years. I was taking Miralax and Phillip's milk of magnesia and magnesium oxide daily. Now I go almost everyday. I'm noticing a little water retention, but as long as it doesn't get bad I'm not worried about it. I gained soo much weight from not going to the bathroom and am now in the process of bariatric surgery. It should happen in about 4 more months. But I'm weighed regularly because of it and I am still losing weight like I'm supposed to. So as long as that continues I'll keep taking it for sure!"

LizzJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

"I had a lower bowel resection a little over a year ago and I have suffered with terrible constipation since having this surgery. I have tried everything out there changed my diet loads of fiber tons of water and nothing helped except Mag Citrate I would go as much as 2 weeks with no bowel movement. Then I would take mag citrate and it would make me so sick that i couldn't eat and I've lost a lot of weight because of this. My Gastro Dr finally put me on Linsess I was so afraid to take it because of some of the reviews about the side effects.I finally started taking it 2 days ago and for the first time in forever I'm able to go to the bathroom without having to strain and be miserable. I will continue taking Linsess it is a miracle drug"

KD123 August 10, 2016

"I have been taking Linzess 145 mg daily for about 2 weeks with bowel movement every second or third day. It is solid. It seems I have a motility disfunction in the colon. It began 9 months ago. I have had a colonoscopy/biopsy which was negative. I have no cramping. I am just happy to be having a BM even if it isn't like it use to be."

cath53 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I have had chronic constipation my whole life. I am 52. I have tried EVERYTHING on the market. I have chronic pain (fibromyalgia) and in trying to have some quality of life, I moved on to opioid meds which make the constipation WAY worse. Linzess 290 has changed everything! I take it at 3-5 am (when ever I happen to wake up), I had been on Amitiza 2x/day, which I still take along with 1 oz of George's Aloe in the am, & 3oz before bedtime mixed with 2tsp of Natural Calm (mostly magnesium). I no longer take senna-s or Mirulax. I go a LOT, 1-2 times per day. No diarrhea, no bloated abdomen, & no pain. I believe that the aloe (which tastes like water) combined with Linzess & Amitiza have changed my life!! Lots of fruit & veggies & water too!"

Jojo14 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2016

"This medication has been great thus far. I have had severe constipation my entire life. I was so desperate for help, with teas and other laxatives not working the doctor gave me this rx. I have not had the severe cramping that others have had at all. I take it in the morning on an empty stomach, eat a meal about 1/2 hour later. It produces a bowel movement for me which is complete or feels complete in about 30 minutes; Stools are soft, no straining and most of all I don't fear going to the bathroom. I have had on occasion two or three follow up BM's, nothing major and they are quite small. I will start cutting back the medication from every day to every other day or so and see what happens but right now this medication is a huge relief."

Vealz (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

"I have dealt with chronic constipation for years. This medication is the only thing that has helped me. Been taking it for about a year and it has helped so far."

Pradkins14 July 16, 2016

"I have had chronic constipation for as long as I can remember. I have tried every remedy, over the counter medication, tea, prune juice and all worked but not ideal. When I saw the advertisements for Linzess I thought finally something that will help me. I was prescribed this drug and have nothing but severe diarrhea for a month and a half. I have tried taking at different time a day and night. Setting my alarm to get up and take before I go to work, hoping I can make it out of the house. I have taken before bed, but woke up to an accident. I can't seem to get past the diarrhea. I am happy that the drug works, but cannot with the unpredictable diarrhea. I'll contact my Dr. for a smaller dose, but may need to stop."

Linda L July 8, 2016

"I am on my 3rd day of Linzess. No bowel movent at all. . Feel kinda bloated. Hope something happens soon so i dont feel like i have spent all of that money for nothing. Very expensive medication."

Nothing happening so far (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I have been using linzess or *constella* as its known in Canada for over a year. It has been 100% a miracle for me and my life.. i have played around with it and i wanted to share with everyone what i found.. 1. I take this every 2 or 3 days and completely clear out. 2. The days i take it i set my alarm to wake me up at approx 4 or 5 am and take my dose along with 1 litre of water and go back to sleep. By the time i get up im ready to empty. 3. U HAVE TO TAKE WITH MORE THAN A GLASS OF WATER. 1 LITRE HAS WORKED BEST FOR ME. Being dehydrated or not drinking enough water stops it from working as well since its an osmotic (pulls water to the bowel) 4. Be aware you will have loose stool for the day. I will take it anyday over constipation!!!"

Mom_in_canada (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

"Interesting reading all these negative posts. I have been hospitalized three times for blocked bowels, and the treatment is nether cheap or pleasant. After keeping a diary for my GI where I had pain almost every day for six months he prescribed Linzess. First couple of days had no results, then it started working. Very predictable and yes I do need to be near a bathroom for an hour or two after I take it. After that everything is under control. I feel wonderfully better and have much more energy. I do believe you should take it on an empty stomach, then eat something about thirty minutes later. On a few occasions I have taken a second dose in the evening if I felt uncomfortable or needed to skip the morning due to appointments."

Works for Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016

"I have diagnosed chronic constipation. My doctor tried to refer me to Miralax, which I did try, but it did nothing for me. I asked him for a sample of Linzess and I thought I might happy cry because of how well it worked. Within the first two weeks you will most likely have some diahrrea, as your body is getting used to the medicine. I'm about a month in on my prescription and the diahrrea DID stop. But trust me, it's better than constipation every day. Every body is different, but try to follow the directions to a T for the first month before you switch it up. I take mine 30-1 hours before I eat after I wake up in the morning and have a completely normal BM a few hours later. If I wait to eat any longer than on hour, it doesn't work at all"

Bye CC! June 12, 2016