Generic name: linaclotide 145ug
Dosage form: capsule, gelatin coated
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation (IBS-C)
The recommended dose of LINZESS is 290 mcg taken orally once daily on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes prior to the first meal of the day.
Chronic Idiopathic Constipation (CIC)
The recommended dose of LINZESS is 145 mcg taken orally once daily on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes prior to the first meal of the day.
Important Administration Instructions
Do not crush or chew capsule or capsule contents. Swallow LINZESS capsule whole, or for adult patients with swallowing difficulties, follow the instructions below for administration with applesauce or water. Sprinkling of LINZESS beads on other soft foods or in other liquids has not been tested.
For administration in applesauce:
- Place one teaspoonful of applesauce at room temperature into a clean container.
- Open the capsule.
- Sprinkle entire contents (beads) on applesauce.
- Consume the entire contents immediately. Do not chew the beads. Do not store the applesauce and beads for later use.
For administration in water:
- Pour approximately 1 ounce (30 mL) of bottled water at room-temperature into a clean cup.
- Open the capsule
- Sprinkle entire contents (beads) into the water
- Gently swirl beads and water for at least 10 seconds.
- Swallow the entire mixture of beads and water immediately.
- Add another 1 ounce of water to any beads remaining in cup, swirl for 10 seconds, and swallow immediately.
- Do not store the bead-water mixture for future use.
Note: The drug is coated on the surface of the beads and will dissolve off the beads into the water. The beads will remain visible and will not dissolve. Therefore, it is not necessary to consume all the beads to deliver the complete dose.
For nasogastric or gastric feeding tube administration in water:
- Open the capsule and empty the beads into a clean container with 1 ounce (30 mL) of room-temperature bottled water.
- Mix by gently swirling beads for at least 10 seconds
- Draw-up the beads and water mixture to an appropriately sized catheter-tipped syringe and apply rapid and steady pressure (10 mL/10 seconds) to dispense the syringe contents into the tube.
- After administering the bead-water mixture, flush nasogastric/gastric tube with a minimum of 10 mL of water.
Note: It is not necessary to flush all the beads through to deliver the complete dose.
After dosing of linaclotide in either applesauce or water, the first meal of the day can be consumed 30 minutes later.
More about Linzess (linaclotide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 394 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: guanylate cyclase-C agonists