Generic name: linaclotide 145ug
Dosage form: capsule, gelatin coated
Medically reviewed on March 30, 2017.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation (IBS-C)
The recommended dosage of LINZESS is 290 mcg orally once daily.
Preparation and Administration Instructions
- Take LINZESS on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes prior to the first meal of the day
- If a dose is missed, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the regular time. Do not take 2 doses at the same time.
- Do not crush or chew LINZESS capsule or capsule contents.
- Swallow LINZESS capsule whole.
- For adult patients with swallowing difficulties, LINZESS capsules can be opened and administered orally in either applesauce or with water or administered with water via a nasogastric or gastrostomy tube. Sprinkling of LINZESS beads on other soft foods or in other liquids has not been tested.
Oral Administration in Applesauce:
- Place one teaspoonful of room-temperature applesauce into a clean container.
- Open the capsule.
- Sprinkle the entire contents (beads) on applesauce.
- Consume the entire contents immediately. Do not chew the beads. Do not store the bead-applesauce mixture for later use.
Oral Administration in Water:
- Pour approximately 30 mL of room-temperature bottled water into a clean cup.
- Open the capsule
- Sprinkle the entire contents (beads) into the water
- Gently swirl beads and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Swallow the entire mixture of beads and water immediately.
- Add another 30 mLof water to any beads remaining in cup, swirl for 20 seconds, and swallow immediately.
- Do not store the bead-water mixture for later use.
Note: The drug is coated on the surface of the beads and will dissolve off the beads into the water. The beads will remain visible and will not dissolve. Therefore, it is not necessary to consume all the beads to deliver the complete dose.
Administration with Water via a Nasogastric or Gastrostomy Tube:
- Open the capsule and empty the beads into a clean container with 30 mLof room-temperature bottled water.
- Mix by gently swirling beads for at least 20 seconds
- Draw-up the beads and water mixture into an appropriately sized catheter-tipped syringe and apply rapid and steady pressure (10 mL/10 seconds) to dispense the syringe contents into the tube.
- Add another 30 mL of water to any beads remaining in the container and repeat the process
- After administering the bead-water mixture, flush nasogastric/ gastrostomy tube with a minimum of 10 mL of water.
Note: It is not necessary to flush all the beads through to deliver the complete dose.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Linzess (linaclotide)
- Linzess Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 505 Reviews
- Drug class: guanylate cyclase-C agonists