User Reviews for Lifitegrast ophthalmic to treat Dry Eye Disease

Also known as: Xiidra

Lifitegrast ophthalmic has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 217 ratings for the treatment of Dry Eye Disease. 21% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 61% reported a negative effect.

Lifitegrast ophthalmic Rating Summary

3.7/10 average rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Lifitegrast ophthalmic

ellzeena · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “DO NOT USE THIS DRUG. I just contacted a personal injury law firm who is investigating it for a class action lawsuit. IN SEVEN DAYS I went from a minor dry eye problem to FULL vitreous detachment FROM THIS DRUG. I saw two different ophthalmologists JUST prior to this happening to me and had NO SIGN of vitreous detachment. It was DEFINITELY the drug. DO NOT PUT THIS GARBAGE INTO YOUR EYES.”

Jeff · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I tried Xiidra for dry eyes. My eyesight has gotten very noticeably worse in the month since I've started. I just read the reduction in eyesight acuity is a potential side effect. The metal taste in mouth is tolerable. The slight stinginess upon application on fine. But making my eyesight worse! I'm done with this junk.”

Kalia · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I used this medication since 2017 when I was diagnosed with dry eye. It took 2 weeks to work and worked wonderfully for 2 years. However, back in September 2019, my tear ducts suddenly became inflamed, my eye was extremely red, irritated, gritty, and produced large amounts of mucus. My doctor thought it was allergies or an infection but it kept reoccurring. I finally stopped taking Xiidra and these symptoms decreased. After a couple of months, I decided to try Xiidra again because my eyes were dry and even after a few weeks, my tear ducts were inflamed, extremely red, irritated with a lot of mucus. This drug USED to work, but decreased its effect over time and made my symptoms worse. I'm not surprised because this drug was not studied for long-term use. It's frustrating.”

Disgusted February 9, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Horrible! Initially, I had the awful chemical taste in my mouth and burning/itching in my eyes. Food wasn't tasting the same and I actually worried that I might have contracted Covid-19 (I didn't). Within 3 weeks of starting on the Xiidra sample box, I woke up to find that my eyes were running profusely. Within 24 hours, I developed an intense migraine behind my right eye. I had mucus in my eyes. The following morning, I woke to find a blocked salivary gland (swollen and painful) and sores in my mouth. I was put on a 7-day course of antibiotics even though blood work at Urgent Care showed no sign of infection. After more than 10 days, the gland is still blocked and I'm seriously wondering if it's due to excessive mucus. Through my research, I've discovered that this KY company tested these drops on dogs. My heart breaks thinking of these innocent animals suffering like I did and I am absolutely appalled.”

empress · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “New to Xiidra. My eyes are very dry and I get blurred vision, so my eye doctor told me to try Xiidra. After first use my head was throbbing in pain. I still used a few more days and then went off to see if headache went away. They did. I also get sinus pressure and thick throat feeling. I don’t think I can handle the side effects. Also, very expensive. It’s sad that people who have this going on have to pay so much money. ”

S · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 27, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I had horrible burning and blurriness. Then I saw the prescription receipt which included, after the drop was in the eye: "Look downward, gently close your eyes, and PLACE ONE FINGER AT THE CORNER OF YOUR EYE (NEAR THE NOSE). APPLY GENTLE PRESSURE FOR 1 TO 2 MINUTES BEFORE OPENING YOUR EYES. THIS WILL PREVENT THE MEDICATION FROM DRAINING OUT..." I think it also prevented the drop from getting into the sensitive inner corner of my eye and stopped my eye from burning. The blurriness resolved quickly also. So glad I can use Xiidra again. I think its really helping me.”

Jude · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I have been using Xiidra since Sept 2019 for dry eyes. Also being treated for glaucoma. Since using Xiidra my eye pressure has increased and now facing eye surgery to implant a stent to help reduce eye pressure. I have stopped Xiidra today and will contact my eye surgeon with my suspicion. Another person on this site also commented on a similar experience with increased eye pressure while using Xiidra. Thank goodness for the remarks from the other user.”

Creatress · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I've been using the Xiidra drop for a few months. I feel like my eyes are worse. In addition my eyelids itch and feel sore and I have continuing blepharitis. I am going to talk with my doctor about stopping.”

Silvio#125 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 28, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I have been using this medication for 2 years, with NO significant improvement whatsoever. It causes "blurry" vision and 3 hours later the dryness returns. Get with it NOVARTIS you made enough money, now give us the "REAL" medication. God forbid we would be cured, all we want is 10-12 hours of eye comfort. FDA are you listening?”

VJOA · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2019

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Follow up to my post on September 15th below. My experience with Xiidra month #4: Due to the sudden production of excessive mucus day and night that began in month #3 of Xiidra use, my Ophthalmologist recommended reducing Xiidra to once per day which I did. After a couple more weeks, I reduced Xiidra use to once every other day and it seemed to slow down the eye mucus production. This seems to be the right balance for me as my eyes now feel watery and comfortable but not full of blurring mucus and less prone to inflammation. It’s a relief to not have dry, gritty dry eyes and photophobia so I will continue to use Xiidra once every other day and see how it goes. I’ll update progress in another month or so. (Dr. mentioned other patients were experiencing excessive mucus production with Xiidra also)”

Carl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I used this drug for a year because I was told it would help my dry eyes. I used it twice a day regularly. My eyes would burn & water for 30 minutes after each use. After 2 months, I gave up. Then I noticed that my T-shirts all a common white spot, right where I would rub my sore eyes. They looked like I had spot bleached them. And this is what I was putting in my eyes twice a day! Unbelievable! Please do not use this product!”

Xena · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Terrible, terrible medication. It took me a week or so to fully realize how rapid and terrible the side effects are as I take other strong medications. This causes almost immediate ear ringing, nausea, dizziness, a sense of feeling hyper, like you want to jump out of your skin. After a week I have developed a large number of floaters in my right eye. Not sure if related, but given the extreme side effects I find it hard not to connect it. It leaves a caustic trail down your throat that lasts for hours. And the burning in the eyes lasts for a long time. This is the first time I have ever left a drug review, but this stuff is horrible. Don’t use it!”

Steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I’ve been using Xiidra for 3 years for Dry Eye Disease caused my Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. It has helped tremendously. I use it along with an eye heat mask about every other day and Ocusoft Hypoclor twice daily. Note: I make a month supply last 2 months by saving the unused amount for my second dose by storing it in the refrigerator. My ophthalmologist recommended this.”

Dry Eyes · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Horrible side effects! I used Xiidra for 1 1/2 weeks. About 3 to 5 days later I started getting this horrible pain in my eye socket, especially around the inner part of my eyes. The pain is so intense that I have had to take ibuprofen to help with the pain. I have had headaches, and what seems to be sinusitis. I dealt with the horrible bitter taste hoping I would get relief from the dryness, but now pain that will not subside. Making appointment to see my doctor. Called the company after I paid almost $55.00 and they will not reimburse even after advising I would send product and receipt back. CVS will also not take it back. BEWARE! If you want to try, ask your ophthalmologist for a sample. Pain, constant tearing of eyes, headache, blurry vision... Reported to FDA. Ended up going to the ER. My eyes were swollen shut. The pain was so intense around my eyes, that my prescribed Percocet did nothing to relieve the pain. Will live with dry eye any day over this experience.”

Petra · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I paid $290, with a discount off original price of $540, for one month of drops Too expensive. Bad taste in my mouth about 20-30 minutes after using the drops. My eyesight gets blurry and stinging pain. Both blurry eyes and pain leave after 45-60 minutes. But aftertaste continues, has also caused diahrea. After reading all the side effects of dry eye medications, I will go back to my over the counter drops without preservatives. Safer and considerably cheaper.”

Concerning · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I started using Xiidra 3 months ago 1 drop both eyes twice daily. It burns on application and I have noticed that my vision acuity has changed for the worse. My eyes frequently itch and I have developed an enlarged lymph node in my neck that is hard and tender to touch. I have also developed a scalp irritation (dermatitis) that extends ear to ear from the back of my neck hair line up to the middle of my scalp. It itches horribly and wakes me up in the middle of the night. Is Xiidra causing these issues ? I don't know. I do know that I did not have these symptoms prior to starting Xiidra. My dry eye issues have improved somewhat but not enough to continue using Xiidra.”

Don't Use Xiidra · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2020

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Used Xiidra for three days and experienced all the awful side effects and made one eye feel gritty. Now hoping the pain in my cheeks will go away after discontinuing these acid-like drops. Good thing I got a free sample before shelling out the ridiculous amount of money they want for this.”

Eyes January 30, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “These eye drops are extremely dangerous. Caused me to have a horrible sore throat, swollen lymph nodes on the sides of my neck, pain in my ears, and blurred vision. This will be one of those medications that they recall because of the damaging side effects. Not on the market long enough. This should have never been approved by the FDA. In spite of the money I paid for this over priced drug, I threw it all away. Bad stuff.”

hawaii13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2019

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I tried Xiidra. My doctor's office had a sample pack. It did burn/sting to put it in. But worse than that, it sent me to the ER after 4 weeks of use. I became progressively tired and had trouble breathing and chest pain. It turns out, the stuff was dripping down my esophagus (you can taste the funky metal flavor when you swallow). And it made a sore spot in my stomach--the chest pain was actually my stomach. I stopped Xiidra and took pepcid AC for 2 weeks and all was better again. Except my dry eye dilemma continues...My side effect may be atypical but from what I have heard, it doesn't really work that great anyway. My new/current ophthalmologist doesn't believe in it.”

Not sure what to do now · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 26, 2019

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “Been using Xiidra for a year now hoping I could tolerate contacts - no improvement - and 3 months ago started having a rash in my mouth. Saw dentist who didn't notice anything but my whole mouth felt rough and dry. Mouth extremely dry at night. Really bad taste from the drops whether or not I press down on ducts on either side of nose. Also, developed terrible headaches and 10 days ago horrible digestive problems with pain and diarrhea. Stopping the drops now.”

Teeny August 9, 2019

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I immediately had problems with Xiidra, as my eyes would burn for a half hour after each drop. But two weeks after starting it, I woke up with blurred vision that would not go away. I couldn't drive or read. I am near sighted and the blurriness was terrible with and without my glasses. I could barely function in my own house. The scary part is that now it is the second day since I took them last, and I still have blurred vision. It is better than yesterday, but definitely not normal. This medication is dangerous and needs to be removed from the market.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 16, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “After having Lasik surgery of which the surgeon should’ve never done it(“oh, your eyes are just a little dry but that shouldn’t be a problem” , I was diagnosed with severe dry eye which after the Lasik surgeon basically dumped me and referred me to an eye specialist and they recommended Xiidra. I’ve found out it really doesn’t do what it says it supposed to do and dries out my eyes even more. I think that ophthalmologists recommend it because because they get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry. If I could give the rating a zero I would.”

Mimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I am very unhappy with Xiidra for these reasons: 1. The silver package is impossible to open and I must use scissors 2. For a senior citizen, the vial is very difficult to open, and squeeze to obtain the drop. Often after removing the plastic top, there is barely any solution to administer, not even enough for 1 eye. I have thrown away many vials in order to administer sufficient solution. 3. After using Xiidra for over 2 months, in addition to the headache, I have an extremely clogged nose or else a very runny nose. 4. The product burns upon administration and causes very itchy eyes lasting all day. I need to supplement with OTC eye drops. I do not recommend this product. Restasis is a considerably better product and far more effective.”

lionsspell · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2021

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “This product is absolutely awful!!! It needs to be recalled. Complete waste of $70 for copay but Insurance insisted I try this first. After reading the reviews of how dangerous it is, I’m glad I only tried it for a few days randomly because I didn’t have the time to dedicate to two hours of blurred vision every time I applied the drops; forget driving to work so I didn’t even use in the morning. Also, it burned my eyes feeling like I had applied lemon juice. $70 down the toilet. Rating = 0.”

Chloe · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

Xiidra (lifitegrast): “I took Xiidra for severe dry eye & corneal scarring from Salzmann's Nodular Degeneration. After a few months of these drops, the scar on my left cornea doubled in size and now protrudes. I also experience photophobia, eyebrow muscles cramps, eye twitches, trouble breathing through & swelling on the bridge of my nose, bag under left eye, & floaters. Additionally, at 32 years old, I experienced a permanent reduction in the vision of my left eye, going from 20/20 to 20/60 in a span of 2.5 months. A year ago, I had perfect vision, no pain, dry eyes, scars, or Salzmann's. I used Xiidra (2x/day) in addition to preservative-free drops (every 15 minutes), & eyes are worse. They have no moisture at all; I can’t even cry. Had I known Xiidra could cause sudden vision loss or increased corneal scar formation, I never would have tried it. This all happened so fast.”

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease