User Reviews for Leflunomide

Psoriatic Arthritis
3.6

Summary of Leflunomide reviews 5.9 51 reviews

Reviews for Leflunomide

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took this medication for just under 3 months. It seemed to helped a little the first month but not much. I had some serious side effects and went off the medication: Short of breath when going up a flight of stairs to the point I could not talk, high blood pressure (200/100) and needed to go on medications, muscle spasms and weakness to the point I could not stand long enough to load my dishwasher due to back pain/spasms, burning nerve pain in my arms and legs which could paralyze me in pain: especially upon getting up after sitting, easy bruising: had very dark bruises all over but the worst was spontaneously getting a small hematoma on buttocks which caused sciatica and I had to get shots... that happened twice. I went off and noticed a significant difference in a couple of days and the pain and other symptoms subsided but is far from gone."

Lisa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2018

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "One year on Arava so far. Has greatly improved joint pain, the side effects I have noticed are some skin lesions, thinning eyebrows, migraine headache increase, also elevated liver enzymes. It has given me back movement which is important for over all health. I will take the side effects compared to ruined joints for now. I did have liver enzymes normal a week after steroid shop for bad headache, I would think the medication could reduce swelling in liver?."

Kristi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I went on this drug in November 2017 (.20mg), and the biggest side effect at first was diarrhea, which was tolerable. My skin cleared up 100% as well as any joint pain, and I thought I had found my miracle drug. But after 4-5 months I now have nausea, have lost 10 pounds, all I want to do is sleep, and I am emotionally in a very dark place. My rheumatologist doesn't think it's the Laflunomide, but I feel as badly as I did when I went on Methotrexate, (which I couldn't tolerate). The symptoms are the same. So I went off of the Laflunomide a week ago but still no relief from side affects. Does anyone know how long it takes for this drug to get out of one's system?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This was the worse medication I have ever taken in my life. I took it for 4 weeks when the violent vomiting and diarrhea began and lasted for 8 hours. Doc said stop taking it. Vomiting stopped, still have the diarrhea the next day. I have never in my life been so sick from a medication. Now we move onto Humira."

Miserable in Florida (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had nausea, severe nausea, I had diarrhea to the point where sometimes I had to wait until everything was emptied out of my guts I had severe stomach pains. I had no energy whatsoever I could wake up be feeling great but when I took it I just lost all of my energy. I felt sick to my stomach and even after being off of it for days I'm still having side effects with my stomach diarrhea cramps and also the pain in my back from going on my muscles are sore and achy it's hard to keep water in me it made me feel extremely dehydrated no matter how much water I drink nothing that I can think about this medication"

Aphrodite April 8, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on this medicine for only 1 week. Every day I am feeling worse, not better. I have zero energy, I have a general feeling of discomfort, headache, clammy and more pain than before I started. I kept thinking this would go away, but after reading some other reviews I don’t think I want to wait for the rash, high BP and hair loss. Calling my Dr tomorrow!"

Cat (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started Leflunomide on 12/8/17 (and it worked well for my RA). By 1/24/18 I had an intense itchy red rash all over my upper body and extreme dehydration in my mouth, making it almost impossible to talk clearly. I stopped Leflunomide on 1/27/18 and went to a dermatologist. Biopsies on the eruptions (red blotches that gradually turn into peeling skin) showed a form of eczema that was treated with a topical ointment. Today (3/11/18) the rash is still prevalent and now appears on my legs, with newer rashes on my hands and wrists. No idea how long this eczema will last but it's not pretty and is extremely itchy. Unfortunately, neither my rheumatologist, dermatologist nor my primary physician can explain the dehydration so I'm drinking about a gallon of water daily to alleviate the dryness in my mouth. I can see evidence of dehydration on my skin. I need to know how long these symptoms will last."

disney453 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed a year ago in December. I started on Methotrexate (initially supplemented with prednisone). This combination worked well- I regained almost full ROM and most pain was gone. After 5 months on this, I developed constant daily nausea, vomiting, then dizziness, mouth sores, tinnitus (which I still have 4 months after discontinuing the drug), and liver damage. I went off this, fought with my ins. company for 4 months, and finally went on Leflunomide 2 weeks ago. In the last 2 days, I have now developed even more severe mouth ulcers, nausea, vomiting, chills and flu symptoms, and am becoming increasingly dizzy as the days progress. I stopped taking this yesterday. The pain of RA is severe, but the treatment has been so much worse"

Foxy_Shari (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medicine did nothing to help with Sjogren's syndrome or other connective tissue issues. The major side effect I had was major loss of hair. Had to stop after 3 months due to such significant hair loss and no positive benefit."

Madalinep (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been in Arava 20mg a day for ten years for my Mixed Tissue Connective Disease . I am pain free! It has made my blood pressure go up a bit, but medicine takes care of that. I also get heartburn from the medicine but Omeprazole takes care of that. All in all it is an amazing medicine that has given me back my quality of life."

Janinemc (taken for 10 years or more) October 3, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It has helped with inflammation and pain to a degree, but not enough to negate some of the side effects. Diarrhea, to being "very regular" was tolerable, but the pneumonia was not. Have been experiencing otitis media for almost 3 weeks, and the onset anxiety has been keeping me awake/waking me up several times a night. To be fair, I do not tolerate meds very well at all (maybe being a redhead/drug interaction issue), so hopefully a different result for others. Not sure if I truly want to stop or not as it did help with the pain initially, and possibly more if I stay on it."

Markwr (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm posting this for my mother, who is not able to type like she once did as a result of this medication. Methotrexate was also a difficult med., which caused confusion, depression, loss of balance, hair loss and an INCREASE in joint pain. Arava had similar effects, but instead of 5 weeks as with Methotrexate, she was only able to tolerate 3 days of Arava! (at 1/2 dose per rheumy recommendation). She had symptoms very much like a stroke the evening of the third day - unable to speak more than a word or two, not to mention absolute terror as well as the effects listed above. For anyone keeping track: she waited a full 2 weeks between stopping methotrexate and trying the Arava. after 5 weeks now, she's ALMOST back to normal. Beware!"

EvilLena (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took Lefluomide for 5 weeks & I have broken out in the most awful rash you could image. My forearms are red as fire. I broke out with the rash under my arms but it has not slowed down. I stopped taking the meds 5 days ago and the rash on my arms is still terrible. I do not know how long it will take for the medication to get out of my system. I just know this is the most awful rash I have ever had."

70kaliko (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After taking Leflunomide for 5 weeks I broke out with a skin rash under my arms & around my waist, stomach and my arms. My Doctor advised me to discontinue the meds. I see him today to see what I do next. I took prednisone the first 4 weeks with it and had no problems. I also woke up in the mornings with a slight headache that went away shortly after getting up."

03mommydearest1941 April 20, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "From my experience I found out that Leflunomide works well. I can do a lot of things. In the past years I was treated with MTX, Plaqueline, and etc, but no other drug had such an effect . In spite of these medicines my RA was in progress. After trying the Leflunomide my life changed for the better."

Medea Mirzashvili February 17, 2017

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "No way did this drug help me!!!!!! What it Did do was give me MS symptoms! Yes ! I went totally blind off and on during the day and had debilitating headaches to where all I did was lay n cry!!!!!! Warning the dr tells me I had MS I say no it's the drug! He says no and proceeds to send me to a nuerologist! He exams me and says no it's probably neuropathy! So here I go again being sent to yet another specialist! I was sent to a optomolgist and he says no your eyes are fine it has to be MS! I then go back to the rhuemotologist for him to say yes it's MS don't stop the drug! I went out on my own gut and Stopped the Arava and WHAT DO YOU KNOW--- MS SYMPTOMS DISSPPEARED ALMOST INSTANTLY! So please be aware these drugs will do more harm than good"

Trish44 January 14, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking leflunomide for about 8 months. The results have been very good. It took about three or four months to kick in, but my pain is virtually gone. Oddly, I have developed very brittle finger nails and my hair has gone from straight to wavy. The only other medicine I take is a blood pressure pill. So I can only assume this change came from the leflunomide."

Mizlollie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Worst experience in my life. The pain before I started this was at least bearable. Now I can barely move or walk and bruise very easily. And that was only after a couple of days of taking 1 10mg tablet per day. Doctor changed to one every other day and I have the same problem. Was taking this for psoriatic arthritis and calcium build up, but I can't bare the pain."

laurieo (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Stopped the doxycycline because of blue spots on my face and legs,upped the Arava from 10 to 20 mg daily now, am experiencing back pain and stomach pain some headaches also,I think I'll be able to handle all this, nothing left for treatment that insurance will cover, very little arthritis pain"

Anonymous June 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Oh wow, what a relief. I was on weekly injections of 17.5 mg MTX and got to feeling toxic. Have switched to daily 10mg tablet of Leflunemide and feel great. No more couch surfing from tiredness and depression or pain. I feel GREAT, however my hair is falling out and has thinned to a stage of embarrassment :("

CaAfAm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started this drug 6 weeks ago. Developed headache within days & a productive cough. 3 days ago, developed vomiting and severe headache, worse headache I have ever had in all 59 years of my life. Debilitating. Excruciating pain. Went to ER during episode. Nobody knew what to do. They told me my Dr's didn't call them back! I don't believe that. After giving me Ativan & morphine with zofran chaser. CT of head normal & blood work normal, the sent me.home. I can't get up without it coming back. Idk the med which was working, now I want the massive HA, migraine really, to go away!! I won't ever take thus drug again! Worse feeling next to MRSA in my bloodsrream, while on Remicade therapy back in 2008!!!"

DrDMO March 23, 2016

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had virtually no pain or swelling anymore. Used with combination of Humira. Had to come off, unfortunately due to gut and intestinal issues getting severe. Did help my RA more than any other medication so far, but too many gut issues."

Rudythom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medication has really improved my quality of life one hundred percent. My concern is whether there is a difference in terms of manufacturer. I took Apotex for years, but I guess they discontinued it. I started taking Northstar Rk, and I am not responding so well. I am now experiencing back pains."

Piaula December 2, 2015

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I I could not take it stomach problems and barfing I am very allergist to sulfa penicillin bioxen do not know if that had something to do with it"

Bibi2 November 20, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I found that after taking this medication for 12 months if helped with the arthritis but unbeknown to all of us were the silent side effects my experience was awful. Suddenly broke out with skin ulcers that hurt badly and act like burn blisters on your hands and feet."

Anonymous October 11, 2015