User Reviews for Leflunomide

Rheumatoid Arthritis   5.4
Psoriatic Arthritis  Off-label 3.8

Reviews for Leflunomide

Bob February 1, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on leflunomide for over three weeks and I have massive hair loss. However it is effective in helping control the pain of my fingers/hand And right hip.”

For mom · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 20, 2021

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My mother took this drug Arava and it completely changed her personality, it damaged her liver while already being in stage 3 kidney failure, from 42 plus years of being on medications for RA. She had weakness, shortness of breath, liver failure, and a lot of other issues. Took her to ER, she was admitted, 10 days later she died. The medication caused her liver to fail, was bad for her immune system and made her susceptible to an infection. She got sepsis while at the hospital and died. I honestly blame this medication for her death, she was on it for 18 months and it made everything worse.”

Nicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “It works well for some, but I developed severe pain in the buttock area, awful achiness, and could not lift my pets when needed.”

Angler · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Following on from my previous post I have to report my husband lost his fight for his life. He passed away on 16 th Dec 2020. I cannot prove that Leflunomide was the cause but it certainly contributed to it. Yes we found out his COPD had got worse but the escalation of his deterioration was alarming and I can only point to one thing Leflunomide. I urge all RA sufferers to think and think again before taking it especially if you have COPD, and are taking METHOTREXATE, and were or are a smoker. This is a dangerous drug be very very cautious.”

Angler December 9, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This not about me but my husband. He is fighting for his life in ICU. He started Leflunomide in July 2020 on a dose of 10mg which was increased to 20mg after a month. At the end of August 2020 he started having violent diarrhoea, we questioned it with his nurses and were told as he'd been ok for the first weeks " It wasn't the drug causing his problems". So GP organised bowel cancer check and colonoscopy which proved negative. Then he started coughing on Nov 9th 2020. Checked for Covid, negative. A&E on 22nd Nov, out with strong antibiotics, then ambulance call at 6 am on 26 Nov, in hospital on oxygen which didn't help. He was transferred to ICU on 1 December and Ventilated on 6th Dec. They started the "washout" last week. Still a few days to go. We are praying it will work. My warning to everyone Do Not Take Leflunomide it is dangerous.”

Tanker · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had severe RA for 17 years. I have been treated with methotrexate, prednisone, Humira and Enbrel . I could not tolerate methotrexate and Humira did not work for me. I settled for using Enbrel and 5mg of prednisone daily. Then my Rheumatologist put me on 20 mg leflunomide and it has been miracle drug for me! In the past year I have got off of prednisone and have dropped my Enbrel from 50mg weekly to 25mg. My Liver function is good and hope it stays that way because you have to be careful with leflunomide because of liver problems, no drinking on this drug. I have felt like I’m in remission for at least 10 months. I wish everyone with RA could have the results this drug has given me!”

Mohammed · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

Arava (leflunomide): “I have taking Arava for one week for Psoriatic Arthritis and I have suffered from headache and high blood pressure within a week”

Andrea · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started on Leflunomide 10mg for two months and did not notice any differences or side effects. My rheumatologist increased my dosage to 20mg and I have been experiencing debilitating headaches and high blood pressure (156/100) which I never had before. My doctor said to discontinue this drug and today is the third day of not taking it and I still feel terrible. Hopefully, I will feel better soon.”

rocky · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2020

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Have been using Arava and Methotrexate for many years now doe RA. I take a Folic acid tablet with it, it has been very helpful and I have had no side effects. I seem to have had a flare up recently and not sure if it was from moving and doing a lot of the packing and unpacking . Trying Prednisone now , to see if it helps with the pain . If not my doctor wants to try Xeljanz XR .Not sure I want that , anyone out there with any help ?”

Nothankyou. · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Put on Leflunomide 10mg 7 weeks ago for Polymyalgia Rheumatica . Increasing symptoms of weakness, diarrhoea, nausea, cramps, palpitations, pins and needles , migraines with aura and the most awful shortness of breath. I came off leflunomide 3 days ago and expect I shall have to suffer the effects for at least 6 months before the drug leaves my poor body. Rheumatologist says these symptoms are not caused by Leflunomide. ??! I feel so weak and helpless. I wish I had been warned. I feel angry with my rheumatologist who took two weeks to respond to my cries for help. Be warned.”

Pat July 30, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I had bad RA and I could not move, when I did, the pain was excruciating. My husband would have to help me get dressed. Within 1 month of taking leflunomide, swelling & pain was gone it really works. I have blood work done every 3 months. So far I'm doing great!!!! No side effects.”

April · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was on methotrexate injections for RA which was working but caused me to have constant nausea. So my doctor switched me to Leflunomide and on third day started having shortness of breathe and chest pain, flu like symptoms. I thought I was coming down with the flu. I stopped taking the medicine until I felt better. I just started it again and same thing. I'm laying in bed completely drained of energy, feel flu like aches and pains and difficultly breathing...shortness of breathe.”

Srs · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2020

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Arava has been brilliant for my RA. I've been on it for 1 1/2 years.. previously I was on methotrexate 27 mg a week for severe arthritis for 8.7 years which I came off as I found it hard to breathe. Only side effects I've had are tiredness which I can live with but none of the other side effects”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Leflunomide has brought me back to life in just 2 months on it. (And my thick hair is no different than prior!) I see hair loss can be a side affect. Not for me. Grateful to my MD for starting this medication.”

Regrets · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I took Leflunomide for just over a year. Helped my symptoms but in the last month severely suppressed my bone marrow and my hemoglobin and white blood cells have plummeted to the point of being a few points away from needing a blood transfusion. My hemoglobins have not come back yet after stopping it (and doing the washout period with cholestrymine) 9 days ago, in fact it continues to go down. I am at 7g now and can’t work my corporate job anymore I’m so exhausted with headaches and just hoping my bone marrow starts making the blood cells again and remembers the natural process and that taking this didn’t cause my body to forget and permanently leave me in this state. Any drug that has the potential to do that please seriously decide whether to take it or not, I 100% regret it.”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 29, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on leflunomide 10 mg for almost a month , no side effects just some hair falling out , then dr raised it to 20 mg , so for about over a week I have been nauseous, headache , My eyes feel like they are burning & I feel more muscle aches, swelling hands, hair loss. Can anyone tell me if this gets better, being on the 20 mg , I don't see muscle aches as a side effect , so I'm not sure if its my fibromyalgia? I just over all feel blah ”

Buddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I developed shortness of breath. I stopped this drug about nine months ago. The shortness of breath continues. I discontinued Leflunomide on my own due to side effect of shortness of breath. My blood pressure was also elevated while on this drug. This shortness of breath has decreased the quality of my life. This drug is awful. I hope my breathing will get better over time. I am very angry, I wish I could go back in time and never start this drug, I am very angry if this will be my life now. The drug did not help the pain.”

Di · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 8, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was taking it for 8 months and I started having a funny feeling in my arms about 4 months in which I reported but Dr did not think it was a concern. Over the next 3 months I started to have more weakness in my arms and then what I would describe as internal internal vibrations. I have just stopped taking the drug and hope the vibration stop before too long.”

clashcity19 · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Arava for about 3 weeks now. I take 20 mg per day. At first, there were severe side effects: headache, tingling sensations in the feet, restless legs, severe dizziness, lethargy, and muscle rigidity. After about 2 weeks, these symptoms began to slowly decrease. I have not been taking this medication long enough to know if it will help me, but I did wake up today feeling better than I have felt in years. Hoping it’s not just a fluke or a coincidence.”

Tanker January 31, 2020

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have dealt with severe RA for going on 16 years and just recently within 6 months was put on Arava. For me this has been a miracle drug, I feel I’m in full remission. So my treatment is Enbrel, Arava and Prednisone. If you are healthy other than having RA, give Arava a try!! God Bless All of You who deal with this Monster called Rheumatoid Arthritis”

MaB46 · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have had RA for 35 years and have been on numerous drugs, including every biologic on the market. In March of 2019 while taking Humira I developed a skin condition initially diagnosed as psoriasis. I then went through three more biologics which made my condition worse. Finally, my dermatologist determined that the skin condition was a reaction to all the biologics in my system. My rheumatologist then put me on Arava. I have been taking it for 26 days and my hair has fallen out, every joint in my body has been painful and swollen and my back (I have an existing problem with back pain) has hurt to the extent that I cannot stand long enough to take a shower. I have been bed ridden for the past week, so this morning I called my doctor and told him to take me off this medication.”

Nicko · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “Leflunamide was not good for me, OK for a short while but developed severe nausea and bowel issues not ideal when you commute via train to to work daily. After a ceasing it took me a over a year to come right. My advise stick with the methotrexate.”

Katatonic · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2019

“I was Dxd with dermatomyositis about nine months ago and Plaquenil wasn't enough, so started MTX (methotrexate) in late spring. I was not able to tolerate the side effects, which made life a nightmare (nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea, headache, fatigue, hair loss, blurry vision, etc.). I stuck with it for four months before asking my rheumatologist to move me in a different direction. After coming off MTX, we did a course of prednisone and then ramped up on Arava. MIRACLE! After experiencing serious muscle weakness, mechanic's hands, joint pain and fatigue, I'm at the gym four days a week and now fully able to take on all of life. Have a few minor side effects (most notably headache and nausea), but not enough to keep me down! I LOVE this drug!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “While leflunomide seemed effective, as did methotrexate, my liver labs shot thru the roof! I've now reacted to those 2, as well as 3 IV infusions as I can't afford the $1700/mo it costs for Humira & the like which unfortunately, when on Disability you can't get into their $10/@ most deductible plans! Why?!!”

Holly lupussux November 30, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have only been on this medication for about 1 month it is November 2019. I have so far immediately experienced lots of hair loss my IRA to be worse now than it is ever been even before I was ever treated with anything for rheumatoid arthritis. I am also experiencing lots of other sore areas like my shoulder neck arm back of my legs and thighs and they aren't necessarily joint pains more like a muscle tissue type of soreness but just popped up out of nowhere for no reason definitely believe it's all connected somehow. Right now the soreness in my left arm shoulder and neck is so bad I cannot lift my arm by itself without my other arm holding it to reach up over my head. I've never had this problem before. Definitely going to be calling the doctor Monday.”