User Reviews for Leflunomide

Also known as: Arava

Learn more about Leflunomide.

Rheumatoid Arthritis 37 reviews 345 medications

6.8
Psoriatic Arthritis 3 reviews 61 medications

4.2
Summary of Leflunomide reviews 40 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Leflunomide

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm posting this for my mother, who is not able to type like she once did as a result of this medication. Methotrexate was also a difficult med., which caused confusion, depression, loss of balance, hair loss and an INCREASE in joint pain. Arava had similar effects, but instead of 5 weeks as with Methotrexate, she was only able to tolerate 3 days of Arava! (at 1/2 dose per rheumy recommendation). She had symptoms very much like a stroke the evening of the third day - unable to speak more than a word or two, not to mention absolute terror as well as the effects listed above. For anyone keeping track: she waited a full 2 weeks between stopping methotrexate and trying the Arava. after 5 weeks now, she's ALMOST back to normal. Beware!"

EvilLena (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took Lefluomide for 5 weeks & I have broken out in the most awful rash you could image. My forearms are red as fire. I broke out with the rash under my arms but it has not slowed down. I stopped taking the meds 5 days ago and the rash on my arms is still terrible. I do not know how long it will take for the medication to get out of my system. I just know this is the most awful rash I have ever had."

70kaliko (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After taking Leflunomide for 5 weeks I broke out with a skin rash under my arms & around my waist, stomach and my arms. My Doctor advised me to discontinue the meds. I see him today to see what I do next. I took prednisone the first 4 weeks with it and had no problems. I also woke up in the mornings with a slight headache that went away shortly after getting up."

03mommydearest1941 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "From my experience I found out that Leflunomide works well. I can do a lot of things. In the past years I was treated with MTX, Plaqueline, and etc, but no other drug had such an effect . In spite of these medicines my RA was in progress. After trying the Leflunomide my life changed for the better."

Medea Mirzashvili February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "No way did this drug help me!!!!!! What it Did do was give me MS symptoms! Yes ! I went totally blind off and on during the day and had debilitating headaches to where all I did was lay n cry!!!!!! Warning the dr tells me I had MS I say no it's the drug! He says no and proceeds to send me to a nuerologist! He exams me and says no it's probably neuropathy! So here I go again being sent to yet another specialist! I was sent to a optomolgist and he says no your eyes are fine it has to be MS! I then go back to the rhuemotologist for him to say yes it's MS don't stop the drug! I went out on my own gut and Stopped the Arava and WHAT DO YOU KNOW--- MS SYMPTOMS DISSPPEARED ALMOST INSTANTLY! So please be aware these drugs will do more harm than good"

Trish44 January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking leflunomide for about 8 months. The results have been very good. It took about three or four months to kick in, but my pain is virtually gone. Oddly, I have developed very brittle finger nails and my hair has gone from straight to wavy. The only other medicine I take is a blood pressure pill. So I can only assume this change came from the leflunomide."

Mizlollie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Worst experience in my life. The pain before I started this was at least bearable. Now I can barely move or walk and bruise very easily. And that was only after a couple of days of taking 1 10mg tablet per day. Doctor changed to one every other day and I have the same problem. Was taking this for psoriatic arthritis and calcium build up, but I can't bare the pain."

laurieo (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Stopped the doxycycline because of blue spots on my face and legs,upped the Arava from 10 to 20 mg daily now, am experiencing back pain and stomach pain some headaches also,I think I'll be able to handle all this, nothing left for treatment that insurance will cover, very little arthritis pain"

Anonymous June 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Oh wow, what a relief. I was on weekly injections of 17.5 mg MTX and got to feeling toxic. Have switched to daily 10mg tablet of Leflunemide and feel great. No more couch surfing from tiredness and depression or pain. I feel GREAT, however my hair is falling out and has thinned to a stage of embarrassment :("

CaAfAm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started this drug 6 weeks ago. Developed headache within days & a productive cough. 3 days ago, developed vomiting and severe headache, worse headache I have ever had in all 59 years of my life. Debilitating. Excruciating pain. Went to ER during episode. Nobody knew what to do. They told me my Dr's didn't call them back! I don't believe that. After giving me Ativan & morphine with zofran chaser. CT of head normal & blood work normal, the sent me.home. I can't get up without it coming back. Idk the med which was working, now I want the massive HA, migraine really, to go away!! I won't ever take thus drug again! Worse feeling next to MRSA in my bloodsrream, while on Remicade therapy back in 2008!!!"

DrDMO March 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had virtually no pain or swelling anymore. Used with combination of Humira. Had to come off, unfortunately due to gut and intestinal issues getting severe. Did help my RA more than any other medication so far, but too many gut issues."

Rudythom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medication has really improved my quality of life one hundred percent. My concern is whether there is a difference in terms of manufacturer. I took Apotex for years, but I guess they discontinued it. I started taking Northstar Rk, and I am not responding so well. I am now experiencing back pains."

Piaula December 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I I could not take it stomach problems and barfing I am very allergist to sulfa penicillin bioxen do not know if that had something to do with it"

Bibi2 November 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I found that after taking this medication for 12 months if helped with the arthritis but unbeknown to all of us were the silent side effects my experience was awful. Suddenly broke out with skin ulcers that hurt badly and act like burn blisters on your hands and feet."

Anonymous October 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My doctor first prescribed me methotrexate. I couldn't tolerate it very well so she switched me to lefunomide. It has been a big life changer in a positive way even though it may not be as strong as the methotrexate."

Marigrace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started this medicine very slowly (10mg every other day) for 4 weeks, as I was nervous about a couple specific side effects (stomach & higher blood pressure). The only side effect during that time was headaches. Then I couldn't wait to increase to 10mg every day due to a great deal of pain, and my stomach and blood pressure were stable. Just by increasing it from 4 tabs a week to 1 tab every day I've only had a couple small headaches, and pain was greatly decreased in my fingers. So far (at 3 weeks) still leaves a lot to desire. My wrist still hurts a great deal, having moderate upper GI problems (extra "severe" acid reflux), hair thinning, and concerns about the future and/or long term side effects. Will stay on it for now."

38yrsold August 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA in 1987. Terrible pain and loss of motion. After taking all available meds on the market including the biologics, which were of no help at all, my Dr prescribed Arava. I take 20 mg per day plus two Azulfidine pills per day. Now my pain level is virtually 0. I have been on this regimen for 11 years. No side effects, however, I am diligent about regular blood work which would show any significant liver damage or other serious conditions. So far, so good. Arava has been my miracle drug."

Nikki0009 (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I've been on Leflunomide for over two years and I tolerate it well unlike Methotrexate. Good control of inflammation and pain and blood work is ok. Doesn't seem to interfere with my ability to fight a cold or heal a wound."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 61 yrs old. Took this medicine for 8 days. Kept getting weaker and weaker. Then, barely breathing. Spent 4 days in hosp."

J.N.N. April 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was unable to move around ...very stiff and sore. It was so bad I was considering using a cane to get around. Arava 20mgs has put an end to all of my aches and pains...so very grateful. But, my BP is now elevated (I'm adressing this with my PCP)."

jen287 March 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Arava for over 10 years now. At first (following the loading dose) I was taking 20 mg daily. I went from not being able to dress myself to being completely independent and relatively pain free. I do have fibromyalgia, so there has been some muscle pain with that. I lost quite a bit of hair at first, but that stopped. After 7 or 8 years I asked my doctor if I could try to taper down. I went from 20 mg daily to 20 mg every other day. I have mild psoriasis which flared when I cut back, but eventually it cleared up again. After a year, my doctor decreased it to 10 mg every other day. The psoriasis flared again, but is now gone and I am maintaining at 10 mg every other day and doing well."

Tina G. P. March 6, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Not ONLY the pain from rheumatoid arthritis - Arava made my hair fall out, lump in esophagus, and chronic throat infection."

Saltio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Arava for approximetely 2 months, prior to that I had Rituxin Infusion Therapy and was currently on 20 mg of prednisone. I had started to reduce the prednisone when I was down to 5mg and off, I started to have a burning in my mouth and tongue. I checked with the pharmacy and it is a know side effect for leisons and issue within the mouth. I am hoping that there is something else that I can take, as this past year my rheumatoid arthritis has been full blown out of control. I at least can now type and manage to button my clothes and tie my shoes. I can only hope."

Aprill55 January 15, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was prescribed leflunomide for Psoriatic Arthritis, 20mg each day, in May 2012. For the actual treatment of my arthritis, I can honestly say it was a "wonder drug" I noticed a huge improvement all most immediately & this drug agreed with me so much more than Methotrexate & Sulfasalazine, both of which I had also been taking. The biggest negative for me was the HUGE hair loss I suffered. I had experienced some hair loss on Methotrexate, but, this was on a different level, so much so that I stopped taking Leflunomide in November 2012. Being a female in her early 40's, this was a decision I felt I had to take as the hair loss was so distressing."

SamCF (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Arava for 6 weeks and I also take 5mg of Prednisone. The medication has been extremely helpful in treating the swelling and soreness of the joints. I am now able to write, type, stir, laugh and I feel generally so much improvement, it's like getting my life back after several months of severe pain, swelling and stiffness."

GrannyK. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2013