User Reviews for Leflunomide

Also known as: Arava

Learn more about Leflunomide.

Rheumatoid Arthritis 31 reviews 340 medications

Psoriatic Arthritis 2 reviews 58 medications

5.3
Summary of Leflunomide reviews 33 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Leflunomide

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Stopped the doxycycline because of blue spots on my face and legs,upped the Arava from 10 to 20 mg daily now, am experiencing back pain and stomach pain some headaches also,I think I'll be able to handle all this, nothing left for treatment that insurance will cover, very little arthritis pain"

Anonymous June 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Oh wow, what a relief. I was on weekly injections of 17.5 mg MTX and got to feeling toxic. Have switched to daily 10mg tablet of Leflunemide and feel great. No more couch surfing from tiredness and depression or pain. I feel GREAT, however my hair is falling out and has thinned to a stage of embarrassment :("

CaAfAm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started this drug 6 weeks ago. Developed headache within days & a productive cough. 3 days ago, developed vomiting and severe headache, worse headache I have ever had in all 59 years of my life. Debilitating. Excruciating pain. Went to ER during episode. Nobody knew what to do. They told me my Dr's didn't call them back! I don't believe that. After giving me Ativan & morphine with zofran chaser. CT of head normal & blood work normal, the sent me.home. I can't get up without it coming back. Idk the med which was working, now I want the massive HA, migraine really, to go away!! I won't ever take thus drug again! Worse feeling next to MRSA in my bloodsrream, while on Remicade therapy back in 2008!!!"

DrDMO March 23, 2016

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had virtually no pain or swelling anymore. Used with combination of Humira. Had to come off, unfortunately due to gut and intestinal issues getting severe. Did help my RA more than any other medication so far, but too many gut issues."

Rudythom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medication has really improved my quality of life one hundred percent. My concern is whether there is a difference in terms of manufacturer. I took Apotex for years, but I guess they discontinued it. I started taking Northstar Rk, and I am not responding so well. I am now experiencing back pains."

Piaula December 2, 2015

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I I could not take it stomach problems and barfing I am very allergist to sulfa penicillin bioxen do not know if that had something to do with it"

Bibi2 November 20, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I found that after taking this medication for 12 months if helped with the arthritis but unbeknown to all of us were the silent side effects my experience was awful. Suddenly broke out with skin ulcers that hurt badly and act like burn blisters on your hands and feet."

Anonymous October 11, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My doctor first prescribed me methotrexate. I couldn't tolerate it very well so she switched me to lefunomide. It has been a big life changer in a positive way even though it may not be as strong as the methotrexate."

Marigrace (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started this medicine very slowly (10mg every other day) for 4 weeks, as I was nervous about a couple specific side effects (stomach & higher blood pressure). The only side effect during that time was headaches. Then I couldn't wait to increase to 10mg every day due to a great deal of pain, and my stomach and blood pressure were stable. Just by increasing it from 4 tabs a week to 1 tab every day I've only had a couple small headaches, and pain was greatly decreased in my fingers. So far (at 3 weeks) still leaves a lot to desire. My wrist still hurts a great deal, having moderate upper GI problems (extra "severe" acid reflux), hair thinning, and concerns about the future and/or long term side effects. Will stay on it for now."

38yrsold August 25, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA in 1987. Terrible pain and loss of motion. After taking all available meds on the market including the biologics, which were of no help at all, my Dr prescribed Arava. I take 20 mg per day plus two Azulfidine pills per day. Now my pain level is virtually 0. I have been on this regimen for 11 years. No side effects, however, I am diligent about regular blood work which would show any significant liver damage or other serious conditions. So far, so good. Arava has been my miracle drug."

Nikki0009 (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I've been on Leflunomide for over two years and I tolerate it well unlike Methotrexate. Good control of inflammation and pain and blood work is ok. Doesn't seem to interfere with my ability to fight a cold or heal a wound."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 61 yrs old. Took this medicine for 8 days. Kept getting weaker and weaker. Then, barely breathing. Spent 4 days in hosp."

J.N.N. April 18, 2015

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was unable to move around ...very stiff and sore. It was so bad I was considering using a cane to get around. Arava 20mgs has put an end to all of my aches and pains...so very grateful. But, my BP is now elevated (I'm adressing this with my PCP)."

jen287 March 17, 2015

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Arava for over 10 years now. At first (following the loading dose) I was taking 20 mg daily. I went from not being able to dress myself to being completely independent and relatively pain free. I do have fibromyalgia, so there has been some muscle pain with that. I lost quite a bit of hair at first, but that stopped. After 7 or 8 years I asked my doctor if I could try to taper down. I went from 20 mg daily to 20 mg every other day. I have mild psoriasis which flared when I cut back, but eventually it cleared up again. After a year, my doctor decreased it to 10 mg every other day. The psoriasis flared again, but is now gone and I am maintaining at 10 mg every other day and doing well."

Tina G. P. March 6, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Not ONLY the pain from rheumatoid arthritis - Arava made my hair fall out, lump in esophagus, and chronic throat infection."

Saltio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Arava for approximetely 2 months, prior to that I had Rituxin Infusion Therapy and was currently on 20 mg of prednisone. I had started to reduce the prednisone when I was down to 5mg and off, I started to have a burning in my mouth and tongue. I checked with the pharmacy and it is a know side effect for leisons and issue within the mouth. I am hoping that there is something else that I can take, as this past year my rheumatoid arthritis has been full blown out of control. I at least can now type and manage to button my clothes and tie my shoes. I can only hope."

Aprill55 January 15, 2014

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was prescribed leflunomide for Psoriatic Arthritis, 20mg each day, in May 2012. For the actual treatment of my arthritis, I can honestly say it was a "wonder drug" I noticed a huge improvement all most immediately & this drug agreed with me so much more than Methotrexate & Sulfasalazine, both of which I had also been taking. The biggest negative for me was the HUGE hair loss I suffered. I had experienced some hair loss on Methotrexate, but, this was on a different level, so much so that I stopped taking Leflunomide in November 2012. Being a female in her early 40's, this was a decision I felt I had to take as the hair loss was so distressing."

SamCF (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2013

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Arava for 6 weeks and I also take 5mg of Prednisone. The medication has been extremely helpful in treating the swelling and soreness of the joints. I am now able to write, type, stir, laugh and I feel generally so much improvement, it's like getting my life back after several months of severe pain, swelling and stiffness."

GrannyK. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2013

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was on Arava for a little over a year. The hair loss, pain from the hair loss, gastrointestinal problems, and the infections are just too much. My hair is so thin. I went to my doctor and had it stopped. I lost another 6lbs in 2 months and that is with the introduction of Ensure. I hope others have a better experience then what I did. I am 27 years old and everyday I felt life leaving me little by little."

krismas85 January 24, 2013

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking Arava in Sep. 2012. Two months ago I noticed my hair was falling out in the shower, and now in December my hair is so thin you can see my scalp. I also have to blow my nose ay least twenty times a day. And now I am getting sores in my mouth. I am not sure if I want to stay on it."

chocalate December 31, 2012

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on leflunomide since 2007. It took a bit to kick in and once it did, I felt better. I was having a lot of diarrhea so my doctor decreased my dose from 20mg/day to 10mg/day. It made no difference in the diarrhea so we decreased it and I tried Imuran. About 2 weeks after switching, I was still having issues with diarrhea and it was clear the Imuran was not helping. So we went back to leflunomide 20mg/day ASAP. In the beginning, I had some nausea, but I began taking my dose at bedtime and had no other problems. I now take it in the morning with no nausea. I have hair loss but not enough that others notice. I simply take folic acid to combat that."

wayney February 1, 2012

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It worked wonderfully for several years until I got a tooth infection. I had to go off Arava for the antibiotics to kill the infection. Sadly when I returned to Arava it no longer worked for me."

cedickson September 8, 2011

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking Arava for almost 2 years. I have recently developed very high blood pressure and I'm not sure if Arava is the cause of it. We have picked up that it increased my cholesterol."

Hettiel July 22, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Arava worked great for me for about 2 1/2 months. My pain and stiffness was much, much improved. Unfortunately I developed a severe rash and had to take the medication to remove it from my system as quickly as possible. Had it not been for the rash I would still be on it."

janika17 January 16, 2011

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arava (leflunomide) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took Arava for about 8 months. It gave me a new lease on life to the point I was having no symptoms, pain or stiffness. I had to stop the medication because of Valley Fever. I want to get the message out to anyone living in a high risk state for "Valley Fever" be very aware and see your provider if you have any symptoms. I only had a persistent cough. Had chest X-ray done and was found to have a very large lung nodule that ended up being "valley fever" abscess."

Anonymous March 9, 2010

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate