User Reviews for Lamictal to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal

Kat October 29, 2019

“Before I started taking Lamictal for schizoaffective disorder I couldn’t string a thought together and had started hallucinating, often seeing spiders crawling up the walls just out of the corner of my eyes and other nasty things that weren’t there. Been on Lamictal (Lamotragene) for almost five years now after gradually increasing dose to 300 mags. No weight gain, no excessive sleep, or any other side effects I can notice. I have actually had a good weight loss since my last increase to 300mg. Don’t know if the two are related but I had been very overweight. I would recommend working with your doctor to get to the correct dosage and the correct side meds, I take it with Latuda, since it was not as effective for me at lower doses. I have stopped having hallucinations and Have had very few manic episodes since I started Lamictal and really feel for most people it would be a very good choice.”

Jubie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 7, 2019

“I have been taking lamictal for years now and can say it really does stabilize my mood and helps with the depression side of my illness. I take it with prolixin also known as fluphenazine, these combination of these two drugs have worked the best for me for my schizo affective disorder and believe me I've been on lots. The weight gain hasn't been bad either compared to the geodon which caused me to crave carbs and gain. Drugs do make me sleepy ”

Jovial · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 7, 2019

“Lamitcal has be effective and working well at controlling suicidal ideation with Bipolar disorder. Take it along with Prozac and Zyprexa.”

Gilmore11 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2018

“I have been taking lomtrigine for a year now. It has made me more depressed than I was before I started this medication. My emotions are totally numb. I don't have any joy in my life. It's like I am a walking zombie just going through the motions. I would not recommend this drug. It has helped some people but it's not worth the side effects for me.”

Fer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 15, 2018

“I've been on Lamotrigine for several months now, started a small dosage of 25mg, gradually increasing until I've gotten to 300mg per night. Each increase has improved my mood, made me content and more active. It has also taken away my depressed behavior of lying in bed watching TV series all day and overeating, as well as my sudden breakouts of irritation. I just hope I don't get the Stevens-Johnson syndrome, I don't know if the risk is less the more you've taken the medication without side-effects. Getting SJS would be extremely unfortunate given that I greatly depend on the medication.”

Damipono February 17, 2018

“Works”

lossil · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2017

“I have taken this medication twice for Major Depression/Psychosis and both times I have felt horrible. I never felt hungry, my thinking and processing were extremely slow and I felt that "flat feeling." I began it again maybe a month ago and things have gotten worse. I don't recommend, especially for adolescents.”

3brikk · Taken for 10 years or more May 21, 2017

“I've been taking lamictal for over 15 years. I have to be on a high dose which does give me side effects. My memory is very bad and my balance is a little off. For as much as the memory thing bothers me I'd rather have that than the alternative which is crazy. I hadn't tried "everything" before I tried lamictal but I tried enough meds to know how they did not work like lamictal did. It didn't happen over night. I had to ramp up very slowly not just because of the physical but to see how my mind was. It took about a year to get to my therapeutic dose and it was worth it. Talk to your Dr about everything it does to you. Work together”

Drug junkie · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 15, 2017

“While on and off this medicine since I was about 17, I overlooked this drug's effectiveness only to end up realizing how well this can stabilize me. Although at initially high doses it can create some fuzziness/fog in memory and cognitive disruptions, the feelings of well-being i get outweigh its negative side effects that slowly dissipate over time. I am now 22 and will continue to be taking this until i feel that my condition won't affect my life even if that sounds like a rare occurrence. I highly recommend this medicine for mood disruptions, dysfunctional thinking processes and other similar living disturbances. Keep calm and carry on.”

S0CRAT35 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2016

“Been taking this for yrs and has helped me so much.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

“This medicine works great. With no side effects that I can remember. I wish I was still on this medicine. It's wayyy way better than Zyprexa and all those other meds that make you gain weight and make you tired all the time. This medicine makes you feel normal.”

brick38 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 6, 2015

“I was on several psych meds trying to get a good combination. Everything I tried only got me so far. When I introduced lamictal it was amazing! I read someone said it was their miracle drug. That's for me also. The things I don't like about it is that (it doesn't happen so much any more) it makes me off balance. Kind of like I walk like a drunk person. Then the only other thing is that if I miss one dose it takes 2-3 days to get the brain/body shocks to stop. If you miss three days/doses I was told that you have to start taking the drug over again like you've never used it before. Don't miss getting your refills on time. I am definitely a "person" now as well. Without it life is extremely bad. I've been taking it for over 6 years.”

Exhaustedmama January 9, 2013

“Nothing noticed during loading, once I got to 150 mg I felt absolutely fantastic, I have tried many other medicines. This one seems to have the least side effects for me and makes me feel like a "normal" functioning human.”

Anonymous January 11, 2012

“Makes me a speed freak, can't sit still constantly moving my hands or my face or something, like a panic attack without anxiety! It seems to have helped with anxiety though, but I still take Xanax for when I just literally cannot stop moving around, grinding my teeth or jerking my neck around. I have severe muscle spasms in the neck. I think it has helped me in some ways but not others, it made my already severe insomnia worse, so now I have sleeping pills (which still don't work sometimes). It has sort of improved my mood some people say I'm less erratic. I am not sure though. I'm giving it a 5 because the neck pain is bad, and the increased paranoia is bad and I don't really think it has helped with disassociation too much. ”

Anonymous August 2, 2010

“This medicine has helped me be more normal. I'm not unstable at all unless I skip my medicines and I'm even in university although it's very hard on me. When I take my Lamictal if I did an all nighter I go straight to bed and miss class so it does make you tired but I wouldn't recommend missing your medication for more than one night. Lamictal really helped me lead a normal life though. It's a great mood stabilizer and helped me have no relapses at all. I'm on Risperdal, Paxil, Lamictal and Geodon right now but trying to get off Paxil and Risperdal completely cause it's made me gain a lot of weight.”

imbunky2 March 8, 2010

“With Schizoaffective Disorder, as well as the other psychiatric illnesses, years of medication adjustment and readjustment are necessary. Lamictal was recommended for me, at the same time, by both my psychiatrist and neurologist. Lamictal was added to my usual medication regimen. I feel it has been one of my "miracle medications". I've never experienced any side effects from Lamictal.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)