User Reviews for L-methylfolate to treat Depression

Also known as: Deplin, L-Methylfolate Forte, Denovo, XaQuil XR, Duleek-DP Elfolate

L-methylfolate Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for L-methylfolate

The Man with a Plan · Taken for 10 years or more June 27, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “This is a follow up from a post years ago. I tried every med possible both antidepressants as well as benzos for panic, depression and anxiety. Nothing every worked and the meds had intolerable side effects. In 2009, I took Deplin for the first time and my life changed. Yes I am Heterozygous with the C667T mutation and 11 years later, I am still loving my Deplin. I am off benzos completely, after a long taper, and have lowered my SSRI to a very small dose.”

Jonathan · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I took this for a while at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. I have the double mthfr mutation. It did nothing for me and is prohibitively expensive. I’m not sure if I buy into their mthfr serotonin theory, but it seems to work for some. For me, I would get these weird sensations in my hands and feet, almost like they were heavier or more sensitive, and I felt like my sleep was less restful (even I got 8 hours consistently) because I was always tired. It made me feel off as well, but I assume that is just depression medication in general.”

Finally · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“Hi I've suffered from depression since my early thirties . At that was when it was diagnosed. I've tried most of the antidepressants and for short periods of time they certainly have assisted me come out of some pretty dark places. Now in to my 50s I'm tired of taking the medication and do not feel that it has been assisting me. Recently I have tried Nurofolin and I can't believe the difference. I weaned myself off the antidepressants and then began taking your folin within two weeks my mood was lighter and my anxiety reduced considerably. I have now been taking it for well over 3 months. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who has work done the work and now just wants something to keep their mood balanced. Of course this is not for everyone but in my experience I am so grateful to finally find something that truly helps without the chemical side affects.”

Ravioli · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“After 40 years of SSRIs & counseling failing, I felt hopeless. Many days were torture. I tired too easily, felt sad, hopeless, unmotivated & anxious more than I should have most of my life. Finally I took l methyl folate at 15 mg and got an immediate rash. Then, based on internet info, I took 1mg. I noticed an immediate reduction in sadness, improved energy and interest...but by day 4 I had an unbelievable panic attack with dry heaving and misery. Thankfully, I knew to take niacin and, within the hour, I was normal. This happened 4 times and I had had enough. But I was beyond despair, so I tried it again at between 0.25 and 0.5 mg and added a small amount of niacin (and will add methyl b12 because I think the problem occurred because I’m building up nitrous oxide). This tiny amount, taken carefully, has completely made me normal. NOTHING else did. I have the MTHFR gene mutation, severe form. To me, it’s like a miracle for which I waited too long.”

Nany · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2019

“I have been taking L-methlfolate for depression it seems to be working. After trying numerous anti depression meds. I am feeling much better than I have in a long time.”

Frustrated w/different formula December 6, 2019

“tl;dr: 5-MTHF, methyl folate calcium salt, whatever it's called by the manufacturer, some forms work better for some people than others. My depression responded poorly to nearly every antidepressant on the market for 10+ yrs. Turns out I'm homozygous for the MTHFR mutation. Started taking 1mg L-methyfolate pills by Superior Source, increasing every few days to hit the recommended 15mg/day for depression. Had an immediate improvement in energy, and my other meds, like Allegra, started working better. I also tried OptiFolate 7.5mg, MD Life 5mg, and NOW 5mg. My depression symptoms and skin-picking came back on each of those. My psych finally wrote me a prescription and now I'm on 15mg pills made by Breckenridge. They work as well for me as Opti Folate: not very well at all. YMMV (your mileage may vary), I've seen reviews on Amazon where people responded much better to Opti Folate than Superior Source. Do your research, & try different makers if one doesn't work for you. I'm waiting for a new prescription.”

Lori · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Taken Deplin for MDD for nearly 2 yrs and no change in my depression. I recently stopped taking it to save money.”

Julz October 24, 2019

“So, I've been on a litany of meds for 40 years. I have BPD1, major depressive disorder with psychotic features. I sometimes have delusions and hallucinations. Both suicidal and homicidal ideations. This has been utterly unbearable because no antidepressants or antipsychotics have ever helped me. The antidepressants cause me to feel suicidal. About a year ago, doctor gave me Deplin. I take it when I need to and it works. Just 3 days ago, I felt suicidal and was hearing the voices inside my head. Day 3 of Deplin and I feel better again. I only use Deplin and nothing else. Yes it's tough managing the other symptoms by myself but they're nothing next to my depressive episodes. All I can say is that L-methylfolate is helping me. It is the only thing that has ever helped. There are some side effects like palpitations, insomnia and some restlessness but I don't care.”

Tina August 30, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I’m a psychiatric nurse and have seen many medications work and many not. For me, Deplin has worked quite well. I’ve stopped taking it before with a marked increase in depression. With Deplin I feel genuine happiness and want to smile. We all know people with depression are pros at the “fake smile” but my smile is from the heart. At the risk of sounding like a marketer for Deplin, there have been a few times I’ve tear up because I’m afraid the happiness will go away. I enjoy being well and don’t take what I have right now for granted. I know the studies aren’t great concerning Deplin but for the people who do respond well to it, Deplin can be a life changer and a life saver.”

jerrystevens · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Have taken Paxil for years, had a poop out with the Paxil so the doctor added Deplin 15 MG, that did not work had lots of confusion out of touch feelings. I cut the Deplin back to 7.5 MG and in three days it is doing the same thing as the 15 MG. I would assume if you had a folic deficiency it would work. However, I must have enough and this just overloads my system. Not for me cannot get off of it fast enough.”

HelloKitty · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 10, 2019

“I had been prescribed this by the same psychiatrist who gave me Wellbutrin. It was originally covered by my drug plan and I wasn't sure it was working. But then my plan stopped covering it (because they said it was a "vitamin" and I ran out. That's when I found the fog of depression setting in deeply. Deplin is ridiculously overpriced for what it is, and many other manufacturers make l-methylfolate equivalents. I have switched to one of those. I use 15mg tablets and cut them in half, so a bottle lasts for 180 days. This is much cheaper than Deplin (the generic costs about 40 cents a day. Deplin without prescription plan is about 4 dollars a day.) Honestly, I think the methylfolate helps me, and the generic is affordable and it works!”

JS · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “The medicine after two weeks I felt dis-oriented confused and flat definitely not any helper more of a deterrent.”

MsRinkyDink · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 16, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I was being treated for a mood disorder and the meds were kind of helping but many days I still felt ‘disconnected’, rarely having a day where I felt great. I assumed it was normal for me to feel that way. My doctor decided to prescribe Deplin. This was years ago. Anyway, one day, after having been taking it for about 3 weeks, I woke up and realized I felt GREAT! Like the fog had lifted. I have so many great days now. I’ve been on it for years now and it really has changed the quality of my life.”

Scotty · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I have been taking Deplin 15 mg daily as a supplement to other drugs for my Bipolar illness. It works well and I have no noticeable side effects from it”

Jon Snow · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

“I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for 4 years. I used trintellix helped me a lot with memory and anxiety but I was extremely flat for emotions, I then started modafinil and got a huge improvement. Then I was changed to methylphenidate 20 mg ER and the trintellix was reduced to 10 mg. I was using B Vit combo includes methyl folate and methylcobalamine, I suspected it make me anxious but one of my friend told me that it gives extreme energy on high dose so I started 10 mg Methylfolate on first day I was so happy in the morning in the afternoon I was extremely angry yet felt powerful. A friend recommended that I should use niacin with it, so I added 500 mg niacin. Now I cry when listen music or reading what I like. It gives huge boost to methylphenidate, also anger went away when I added niacin I feel emotions so deep and cry with happiness. I am not hyperactive anymore but I have high energy levels, I can go work, then the gym after meet with friends and slept like a baby. I hope this will not change in time.”

Snowpea · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

“Tried Neurofolin today As was considering giving it to my late teen with low mood and energy I though I would be the guinea pig first. Had a positive experience. Felt focused and alert all day with sustained results and improved mood and outlook. A little jittery but personally managed ok with that..”

Bear April 22, 2019

“Had high hopes for l-methylfolate but my depression and anxiety got worse”

Kendall April 21, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Deplin has changed my life. My doc did genetic testing for my severe anxiety and panic disorder and found I have the MTHFR gene mutation where I don’t break down folate. He prescribed me this with my antidepressant and it’s been a miracle. I’m no longer anxious, I do not have panic attacks, my depersonalization and derealization is completely gone. I praise the Lord in how good and healed I feel. I’m a RN and I suggest all those who are suffering to give this a try. Hang in there, God is with you. There is hope. You will feel better. Praying for all who read this post.”

Margaret · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Like many, I have been clinically depressed since my 20’s. (30 years). Cymbalta has helped me the most, but I still get hit with very dark times. Last month, my doctor gave me Deplin samples. I took them, but with very low expectations. Three weeks into it, I began to notice a change...normalcy! It crept up on me. I stopped needing a 2 hour nap, I feel clear minded. My mind doesn’t feel like a Los Angeles freeway. I am calm and feel content. I can’t wait to tell my doctor tomorrow. I also needed a D3 prescription. I am sure my father could have felt so much better with these food meds.”

Cheryl2280 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I take l-methylfolate (this medical food )once a day with my anti depressant for my anxiety and panic disorder and I feel great. I am always very positive and I never have anxiety. My panic triggers are gone, it is amazing. Definitely recommend to anyone having depression. It works. It's not expensive. 58 a month. Worth it for me. Also helps my folate deficiency. 100% awesome med. Never want to be without it.”

TreatmentResistantDepression · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “We observed no positive contributions to my treatment of depression. No effect at all. Deeply disappointed.”

oliver · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

XaQuil XR (l-methylfolate): “improved overall mood with antidepressant use and reduced anxiety”

Mark D February 4, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I am a 50 year old medical professional and have struggled with mostly moderate depression for most of my life. I had struggled with, and eventually refused, taking anti-depressants because the side effects were worse than the cure. Eventually, a counsellor convinced me to try Deplin. After a few weeks, there was a noticeable shift in my mood. It was like a curtain had been lifted and I felt normal. A few months later, I ran out of the Deplin but didn't want to spend the money to get it refilled. Approximately two weeks later, wham!, the curtain dropped and the depression was back. Lesson learned.”

Raylee · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Deplin ! What can I say, changed my life!. I had been dealing with treatment-resistant depression for over a year. My psychiatrist finally gave me deplin and in just days I felt better than I had in a long time!I also starting taking L-carnitine which if youve been depressed for a long time you are probably deficient in it. But I know it was the deplin. You have nothing to lose please try it! I had absolutely no side effects. I have more energy but mainly the horrible painful depression lifted in 3 days! I am beyond thrilled and would pay any amount of money per month to keep this medicine. Please give it a try.”

Kim October 14, 2018

XaQuil XR (l-methylfolate): “I feel very hyper I’m not sure if it’s this vitamin or a lot of anxiety or this is how it works. I have a lot of stress right now so I’m not sure. It’s been 30 days”