User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, Duleek-DP, Elfolate, L-Methylfolate Formula, L-Methylfolate Forte, Vilofane-DP, XaQuil XR, Zervalx

Learn more about L-methylfolate.

Folic Acid Deficiency 6 reviews 9 medications

8.5
Depression 72 reviews 80 medications

8.1
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

6.3
Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 80 reviews 7.6

Reviews for L-methylfolate

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "After a suprise DNA test done by my Primary Care Doctor I recieved a call from the distribitor of this so called Vitamin and the caller tried to pressure me into auto shipments of prescription before I ever received my DNA results my Doctor. My Doctor had shared my DNA results with the makers of Deplin before sharing them with me. Deplin 15 caused extreme bloating and pain twice resulting in cracked ribs, sternum etc. I now suffer from shallow breathing and have a lump in my chest where my sternum bone broke with damage to my rib cage and struggle to breath deeply though my lungs are clear. My Ox levels have dropped my 5 % over the past year and I was fired by my Doctor that caused this when I refused to keep taking it. Kick backs?"

RAOBANION (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I am taking 225 mg of Lamictal for depression. The Dr. wanted me to try this along with the Lamictal. I took it once, at bedtime and woke up with the worst headache I've had in my entire life, and it lasted all day. Also had very loud ringing in my ears which lasted all day. Not good. Needless to say, I did not take it again, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness."

jonnyzero November 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I've gone through deepshit, to the wall depression - had ECT et al while on meds. Went off and have NOOOO regrets b/c I finally started having feelings again (after 25 years on meds).... But I went through deep retaliation at work for speaking out against a bully, and the PTSD from that became deeply real only after two lawsuits were settled and every state/federal complaint was successfully settled. I won... but the PTSD won even more. And ya think you can find a shrink who looks at alternatives to antidepressants? HA! My only salvation came in the form of my doctor, an internist, who suggested I go to ER b/c of thyroid stuff. While 5 days on a med/surg unit was not free from shit... I got connected with a shrink who prescribed THIS."

Goodue1950 November 11, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Deplin has saved my life. For two years I have struggled with debilitating depression and anxiety. I have been on every anti-depressant and anti-psychotic, and went through sixteen sessions of ECT. A fourth visit in the hospital landed me under the care of a psychiatrist who finally ordered genetic testing for me, and we learned I have the gene-mutation that impairs folate production. Started Deplin 15 mg eight days ago and I feel absolutely wonderful. Mood is great, anxiety has improved significantly, and I feel so peaceful. My energy level is up, and I feel hopeful and full of life again. I am so relieved and happy I could cry."

Color Love (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have struggled with depression almost all my life and have been on Zoloft for more than 20 years. I recently told my doctor that in addition to being overwhelmed with devastating family health issues, I had been becoming more and more fearful of losing my career because I couldn't seem to remember even the simplest of tasks. I was literally losing my mind!!!! He prescribed DEPLIN. I've been on it for roughly four months. SUCCESS!! My memory and mind is as sharp as it's ever been. Thank God for DEPLIN. Additionally, my overall mood has improved and I have a calm outlook on life and now take everything in stride. It's been years since I've been able to just "go with the flow". I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. THANK YOU, DEPLIN!!"

Karin, Kissimmee, FL October 20, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "First I want to advise others that Deplin is an adjunct to your antidepressant, not an antidepressant. I am on day 4, and already feel more clarity, better mood, and more energy. I have Narcoplesy, untreated due to allergic to meds for this condition. So, greater energy and more awake so great. In addition, I have been battling severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastritis and severe upper gastric pain for 10 months. Most days I have been unable to eat other than breakfast. The evening of my first day of Deplin, greatly reduced my irritable bowel issues, and since then little to no pain. I had a ham and cheese sub yesterday. It is like a miracle. Good luck to those prescribed this medication."

JoRoberta September 16, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Soon after beginning menopause I began to wake up after only sleeping for about 4 1/2 hours and I couldn't get back to sleep. This became a vicious cycle where I worried that I couldn't get back to sleep which increased the anxiety which kept me from getting back to sleep. My neurologist recommended Nidra Yoga. She also prescribed 15MG of Deplin. Even though I wasn't low in folate nor was I taking an SSRI, the Deplin was just what I needed to keep me more relaxed. I also read Learn to Relax by Eugene Walker and did progressive desensitization exercises while visualizing myself relaxing and getting back to sleep. The Savvy Insomniac also helped me understand that I could get back to sleep if I didn't stress about it."

Analytical Annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for : "Prescribed for my young daughter with Autism and epilepsy, anxiety- hair pulling , but the dose was too high and caused even more anxiety, so found reducing it from every day, to once a week, and sometimes just twice a month, makes a huge difference for her to receive the benefit without the heightened anxiety. I muscle test for the amount and timing, and notice when she is pulling her eyelashes, hair or eyebrows."

LURee August 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "It has helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't seem to have antidepressant effects. It's definitely helping me "think" better - I'm not confused anymore."

Stonecrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Long history of medication resistant recurrent major depression. Tried Deplin 15 mg daily for 6 months. No improvement at all seen with Deplin. Total waste of money for me."

Rich Dock (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Normally I only peruse these listings, but this time I thought I owed it to all my fellow readers to give a detailed review. I began taking 10mg methyfolate around 10 days ago at the urging of my father, who, for obvious reasons, shares a very similar genetic predisposition toward depression and anxiety. The results? All I can say is wow. Within 1 day, I felt like my internal motor that had been idling along at a 5 out of 10 had been turned up to a 10 for the first time in a long time. I had more energy, clearer thoughts, happier disposition, appetite and libido returned full force. My only regret is not trying this stuff sooner. If it feels like nothing has ever really solved the problem before, please try this. It's a miracle."

Former Skeptic (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "MTHFR with some bipolar, previous ADHD and OCD diagnoses. Started taking Deplin with B12 (methyl folate)- be sure to take both - and seeing great results. Mood improved greatly and performance overall. Couldn't imagine life without it!"

MedStudent91 July 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Terrible! I was on it 3 days while also on Viibryd and it caused me SEVERE anxiety. I was found to have a compound heterozygous gene mutation and the psychiatrist thought this should help. Wrong. I also found out through the gene test I cannot take SSRI's. Viibryd is a hydrid SSRI. The combination was bad news for me and I had to stop the AD cold turkey bc the blast of Deplin apparently caused me serotonin overload. Still struggling 4 weeks later. From what I've researched, l-methyl folate should be started at SMALL doses, like 400mg, NOT 15mg (Deplin).... Lord!"

Lskmjk (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "2 weeks after starting 15 mg I started having insomnia, increased anxiety, and aggitation. Apparently these can be rare side effects. I am stopping the medication."

Sndallas July 3, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I started Deplin 8 months ago. I thought it was helping but I didnt notice drastic effects. I stopped taking it for 2 weeks due to the cost and quickly realized it had been working.I started feeling lethargic and unmotivated. Since I have been taking it daily I am much more active, energetic, less moody, and I am happier. I think it is a subtle change but over time it is drastic."

Ajade2003 June 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have suffered with depression since I was a child but of course I didn't know it then. Alcohol and drugs became my only salvation. Eventually I had to get sober. Still depressed. Had a relapse that lasted 4 years. Sobered up again. 18 years sober and still suffering that back cloud with anxiety on top. Tried Depli 3 months ago. I didn't expect good results since I've taken so many antidepressants over the years. I felt better the first day. I feel like normal people feel. I have hope, motivation, freedom. I am completely happy. I know this has not been everyone's experience, but it's mine, and for that; I'm eternally grateful. If your insurance doesn't cover it file an appeal. If you can pay cash it's only $178 for 3 months or pay monthly"

Jeanne Beanie June 12, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression for the better part of 60 years. Anxiety was normal for me until a friend told me about Deplin's L-methylfolate. She explained that severe anxiety could be from an inability to absorb folate. I asked my Dr for an Rx and he said it wouldn't hurt to try this it was a medical food and not a drug. I was on Ativan, Prozac, Doxepin and Trazadone and still had anxiety 24/7. Within one week of taking L-methylfolate, I had absolutely NO anxiety. It was so quiet in my soul that I almost felt anxiety about not having anxiety! It was foreign to me; the steady drip, drip, drip of adrenalin rushing through my system was shut off. Within six months I was off all other medications. This was a miracle for me."

usagranny June 11, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been on Deplin 15mg for about 3.5 months. I have the mutation and was hopeful that this would help. I noticed no change whatsoever in my anxiety or depression. I also started having severe joint pain and nothing had changed but adding Deplin. My doctor recommended that I stop the Deplin. I have been off for 3 days and continue to have joint pain. Would love to hear from others with a similar experience."

CK1210 May 26, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Not worked for my depression. Zero effect."

mikoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I'm just starting deplin I need energy I been taking Wellburtion for two yrs now 100 mg 3 times daily I pray it work for my energy level."

joy2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have suffered with depression as long as I can remember, high school and since. I'm 30 years old. I've tried everything to help my depression. Paxil lexpril prozac HTP5 WELBUTRIN and now celexa. Celexa did help more than the other antidepressants bUT still I was suffering from depression. I lost my baby girl doggie who was only 3 years old and was just like my child. My world fell apart and my depression became severe at the worst I ve ever experienced. I went to the doctor to talk about options as the severity of depression was overruling my life. Doc gave me 30 deplin 15 mg capsules samples. In 2 days I felt alive again. I am so grateful. Look up brand direct health and have you dr send your script to them. Much cheaper. 65 $ for 30cap"

MyleeJ14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Within just days of my first dose, I could fell a huge, positive difference. My mind and speech were clearer, my anxiety was nearly unrecognizable, and I was just plain happy. I admit that the cost has been somewhat limiting at times. When I have chosen to delay filling a prescription for a week or two, not only can I feel the difference, but my coworkers, family and friends quickly point out the changes. It's an amazing supplement and worth every penny (when I have it to spare). Plan to stay on it from now on!"

RNGeorgia September 23, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I was born with Spina Bifida L4-5 s1-2 along wt a myleomingeocole. My Birth issues were due to LowFolate. Through life I have struggled wt Depression always being told it was due to the Spina Bifida. I fought through a major depression my senior year in college. When I became employed following college and had insurance I sought counseling & medication taking imipramine. When Prozac became available I began it. After a decline in my health from a stoke at 33 My depression became worse requiring hospitalization. Five years ago I returned to my hometown & sought medical care from my high school friend. He tested me for L methyofolate deficiency. I was deficient he put me on Deplin 15mg wt Zoloft 100mg. I am finally emotionally healthy"

Terriwriter September 4, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression: "Deplin has helped to clear my thinking and has improved my memory, big difference noted when stoped. Continued right away after stopping!"

CrystalJx August 21, 2015

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been taking Paxil/Paroxetine for approx.15 years. About 2 years ago, I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I had long been very sensitive to noise. I would get really upset (angry) by the sound of the doorbell, or even my young daughter's playfulness. My Dr. recommended Deplin as an additional "medicine". After a couple of weeks of taking Deplin,,my sensitivity improved greatly. I did not feel any different, nor have any side-effects. I stopped for a couple of weeks, thinking that it didn't really do anything, and I DID notice a big difference. Although it is expensive, I will continue to take my 15mg every day (along with my Paxil) It works!, My husband agrees! "

StaceyaS August 8, 2015