User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, Duleek-DP, Elfolate, L-Methylfolate Formula, L-Methylfolate Forte, Vilofane-DP, XaQuil XR, Zervalx

Hyperhomocysteinemia

Borderline Personality Disorder
6.3

Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 7.9 105 reviews

Reviews for L-methylfolate

For Depression: "I’ve been on so many antidepressants. None made me feel great. Improved the depression for a while then poop out. Or the dose was raised and had no emotions at all. I started Enlyte. I’m in month 3. It’s subtle and gradual for me. But I’m napping less. Back to reading and doing art work again. I feel much less of the “ugh this is too hard” I’m putting one foot in front of the other on automatic instead of such a forced effort. Well worth the $30 a month. I don’t miss any work as work is less of a drag so it pays for itself. I’m living my life for the first time since I was a teenager. At age 60!"

Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Hyperhomocysteinemia: "Having the MTHFR C677T double mutation I started taking deplin in August of 2016. I had very high homocysteine levels and felt awful for a long time. I started on 15mg and moved down to 7.5. My homocysteine has balanced out to consistent normal. My energy levels are way up. My B12 came down in huge leaps and bounds and is now stabilized"

Sunset (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2018

For Depression: "I've had depression for most of my life and have been suffering from premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) the last five. I was prescribed l-methylfolate by my psychiatrist to go along with my anti-depressants a year ago but for some reason I didn't take them. If only I knew!!!! I took those and noticed a difference right away but when I ran out, my insurance wouldn't cover it (different insurance company at the time) so I had to go OTC. I have felt so much better since taking the MethylPro at 10mg. I am actually happy, content and I laugh. My PMDD is calming down. I've only been on it about two weeks consistently. Yesterday I woke up and exercised!!!!!!! I've been doing some type of exercise the past week almost every day. Yoga, dance, kickboxing (not actual kickboxing but as exercise). It's amazing how much energy I have, but it isn't that caffeine-driven energy feeling, if that makes sense. I haven't been tested for the gene mutation and am going to inquire about it when I speak with my doctor next."

Ablack2008 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "I just started deplin today! I’ve been reading people’s comments and half say it’s helped them and half have not. I’ve also researched it and have read so many different articles. From my understanding you should start off at a low dose and if that doesn’t help then take more. If the dosage is to high or low and your not feeling better adjust it. I personally wouldn’t give up after trying it one time at one dose. This medicine has changed peoples lives into feeling like a normal happy person with energy. I personally hope it works for me and I feel better! I’m not giving up! Try to research it before giving up. I wish everyone good luck with deplin."

Maybelline (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

For Folic Acid Deficiency: "Took for 2-3 weeks due to my body not processing folic acid properly. Worst side effect was I constantly felt overheated. Others were upset stomach, gas, insomnia and increased anxiety. This drug may work for some, but for me it was not a good experience."

Junebug63 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "If you are taking Deplin because of the MFTHR genetic abnormality, you were misled by your doctor(s). This genetic test is being pushed by the pysch field even though it has not been proven. Look up the studies on MFTHR and you will soon learn that most of what you read about are myths. That being said Deplin does have its benefits. "

TZT (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I had the swab genetic test done. I lack the MFTHR gene that creates the enzyme that breaks down folic acid to folate. Without folate depression is very likely. My DR prescribed Deplin as it would take 60 bottles of over the counter folate to equate to the convenient orange capsule. The first three weeks my depression and anxiety got worse. My doctor wasn't helpful but I kept taking it. I’m around week 5 and I am able to see my compulsive eating as not good for me as I am morbidly obese. I don't feel overly happy but more in control in a chaotic World and able to focus more. I'll chat to my doctor about getting off Lamictal once I've had a couple months on Deplin. I am far less paranoid and explosive but I have routine scary dreams being out of control. I can't put my finger on it but I think I am better off with Deplin and apprehensive to go off it. This is not the placebo effect talking. I think I can lose weight and get off the bipolar meds. I pay $160 for three months supply."

Zarathustra (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Depression: "So, here goes, I started taking Duplin about five years ago, after I found out I was missing sets of both genes. It really explained a lot of what I went through as a teen. I noticed a life changing difference. I have to explain that I am a young 60 years old. This may or may not hit a nerve with you but I serious think that this drug has put my libido in overdrive. Can anyone relate? I am going to cut them in half from now on and see if this helps."

just me? (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2018

For Depression: "I have been on this med since March 2017. At first I didn't think much of it. Until recently, I ran out for about a week and was lazy to run to the hospital's pharmacy to retrieve. I can't tell you how much of an effect this will have if you have depression and major depression. I was also checked for the gene mutation where you lack folic acid. I guess this was the cure? It definitely helps and u have to be consistent. I do also suffer from migraines and once in a while Ill get those postdrome symptoms. If this was given to you please make sure to take. There are some good benefits friends."

hzn003 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "MUST take Deplin and not a generic and definitely not over the counter folic acid or folate! These can make things worse! My C spinal fluid showed that I have a less prominent type of folate abnormality. Wasn't detected in a gene swab test. Anyway, just started taking 15mg as an Anti-depressant add-on. Made my depression & anxiety worse!!! I would stop taking it, but my doc has me taking a lower dose as she recognizes that Deplin can cause a worsening of symptoms in certain folks. It just needs to be started low and gradually increased. So, please start with a low dose if it makes you MORE anxious/depressed at 15mg. Too early to say it helps, but the lower dose is needed, to start, for some. And it may take many months to work--for some!"

Seeking28 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

For Folic Acid Deficiency: "Terrible allergic and other reactions. Doctor did not check blood levels and I actually had no deficiencies or reason to be on this. I got very very sick from it. Do not take unless you have ALL proof you need it... including labs showing deficiencies of l meyhylfolate in your blood"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2017

For Depression: "I started taking MethylPro after I was prescribed Deplin and could not afford the monthly cost once my insurance discontinued it. MethylPro has actually made me feel better than ever, I believe I was having a reaction to one of the additives in Deplin and it was making my skin itch. I no longer have that issue and I feel the effects more quickly on the MethylPro. It has allowed me to no longer be on antidepressants and two months ago I started taking one with cofactors, I'm now training for a half marathon in March. Life is now fulfilling and I'm full of energy, L-methylfolate has been a game changer for me!"

KTgreen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Who turned the lights on?! Oh hey Deplin, it's you! This oddly classified medical food has been a welcomed step towards victory I've needed far too long, and I'm only taking the Rx for about a month..This is nothing like anything I've taken-I have Bipolar 1 & have had a slippery disaster with any and all antidepressants and have just glided along life with mood stabilizers and atypicals. I have energy, but I'm in no way jittery or hyper and I sleep like a baby. I have tons of focus & can work more effectively and efficiently, not many at a manic pace-just really focused. I found a part of myself I lost, self-esteem and confidence. When I say or act I say it like I mean it & it's well presented. Don' t hesitate to try it"

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "I have suffered from depression for 20+ years. I stumbled across a gene mutation called MTHFR, and decided to do more research. Here is what is very important; if you have this gene mutation then, in some form, your body does not break down folate aka folic acid. Folic acid is imperative to seratonin levels, which effect your mood and sleeping patterns. IF your body cannot produce serotonin then taking a seratonin based mediation will never work. You are asking your body to produce more seratonin and it can't do it, it can't produce more because it isn't able to. For people who have this gene mutation which is 1:2 ratio having a supplement is important. Folic acid is broken down 8 times to reach the effective type and my body cannot break down the first 7, so Deplin essential for me"

Maidenofred (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "My doctor gave me a grocery bag full of samples because she said it was expensive. I never took them. I am bipolar with also anxiety. Depression will get very low spontaneously but is much more controlled with my seroquel and fluoxetine and xanax if needed. I had an appointment recently and she reminded me that I need to take the Deplin as it augments my antidepressant! I didn't realize this so I made sure to take it. Now I don't remember the last time I felt this good and functional. She gave me another grocery bag of samples. Deplin absolutely is great for me."

Leelee3333 July 28, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Started taking Deplin to curb the side effects I was feeling on Lexapro. I'm not really sure if was working or if I just thought it was working. It also cost a lot of money."

Courtney1123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

XaQuil XR (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I feel great emotionally, but I have developed a dry cough, blurred vision and dizziness. Any comments will be greatly appreciated."

abneemar June 21, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Like many others I took the Genomind test which told me that SSRI's were not optimal and that SNRI's were a better choice. After 16 years and 20 different meds, I have had MUCH better success with SSRI's than SNRI's. The test results also said that I was deficient in what Deplin could provide. I have been taking 15mg of Deplin for almost 3 weeks now and have been experiencing some of the lowest depression that I have ever felt. Today I woke up feeling just as miserable as I have been for the past 3 weeks so I decided not to take Deplin. As I slumped through he morning I started to feel a wave of happiness and excitement for life come over me around 10:30am and I still feel great. I feel like "my" normal self again. $60 wasted!"

skytrex (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I started this supplement with high hopes. I was given it to boost the effectiveness of the Pristiq I'm taking. After using it for over a month I'm disappointed. Really have experienced no change. I'll keep searching for the right combination of meds."

Laura W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

For Depression: "I started Deplin after having genetic testing And learning I had gene mutation. After 3 days of 15mg of Deplin I developed a raised red rash on both checks. From day one I noticed A huge difference in my mood and depression. I have tried probably 30 anti depressant over the years. After researching online I plan to get the 7.5mg dose and cut it in half and start at a smaller dose. As for now I am stopping it until my rash clears up once clears up I will start taking half of a 7.5mg tablet. Hopefully I won't get rash from that lower dose. But definitely recommend especially if you treatment resistant depression."

Renee12280 (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have the gene deficiency, & 25% ability to make l-methylfolate myself. I have had poor results taking a variety of anti depressants over decades. Only drugs like Klonopin help my anxiety & depression. My doctor prescribed 15 mg Deplin, but I had itchy, red skin & stopped. After reading online that I might need to start at a lower dose, I obtained 7.5 mg, which I cut into 6 parts, & took about 1.25 mg per day for 4 days. Today I realized that over these days I have been feeling consistently more energetic, & do not feel as easily overwhelmed (less crying, less agitation). I'm taken by surprise that this might be working at even this low dose. I'm excited to increase the dose & add B vitamins. WOW, this could be my cure at last"

Rev A (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

For Depression: "Wow, this stuff is amazing! It did not work at first, but my sister, who is a nurse, told me, that because I had gastric bypass, that I probably need to take more than the 15 mg because gastric bypass patients do not absorb nutrients very well at all and need supplements. I am now taking 45 mg per day without any side effects. And the negative thinking has all but disappeared. I had a DNA test done as my new psychiatric nurse practitioner, after having listened to my woes of having no success with meds or ECT immediately insisted that I take the DNA test. As she suspected, I have not one but two mutations on my MTHFR gene, which decreases my ability to process folic acid in a big way. She suggested that I try Inositol/Choline too."

Fox_Cooper May 1, 2017

For Depression: "As mentioned in other reviews Deplin is designed to augment other medications to increase their efficacy. All Deplin is is L-methylfolate packaged as a Prescription medication by Drug manufacturers to make money on a supplement that is readily available for much less cost. If you are paying more than $30/month check out other brands It sells L-Methylfolate 15 mg 30 capsules for $30. They also have 7.5 mg capsules. Methylpro is not a generic Deplin. Methylpro is L-methylfolate. Deplin is L-Methylfolate. No difference. Naturopaths and savvy Doctors (not the medication only white coats) have been using L-methylfolate years and years before it was packaged as an expensive prescription "drug". Do your homework, save money and stick it to the man"

Pay less April 21, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I was struggling with major depression and OCD and tried several antidepressants before my endocrine doctor found out I had the gene mutation. The first dose of Deplin of 15 mg was too much for me and I felt edgy and anxious. I then tried the 7.5 dosage and honestly felt like myself for the first time in months. Clarity, energy and focus! One side effect was headaches and then I went online to MTHFR.net and learned I needed to supplement with a few things to feel better. This has been answer to prayer for me. I am on 2.5 MG of lexapro and hope to get off of it in the next 6 months. Wish someone would have told me about this sooner!!"

Glassi (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have taken anti-depressants for years, with some improvement but mostly moderate to severe side affects, which makes me go off them. I only take Cymbalta now mostly for pain. When I began Deplin, I noticed a major improvement overnight. More energy, better disposition, and no sinking to the low lows of major depression. I have been taking it for about 3 months now and feel like a normal person for the first time ever. Best thing, no side effects."

AuntAnn March 9, 2017