User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, L-Methylfolate Forte, Denovo, XaQuil XR, Duleek-DP Elfolate

Hyperhomocysteinemia 10.0
Borderline Personality Disorder 9.0
Depression 7.9
Folic Acid Deficiency 7.4
Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 7.9 138 reviews

Reviews for L-methylfolate

The Man with a Plan · Taken for 10 years or more June 27, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “This is a follow up from a post years ago. I tried every med possible both antidepressants as well as benzos for panic, depression and anxiety. Nothing every worked and the meds had intolerable side effects. In 2009, I took Deplin for the first time and my life changed. Yes I am Heterozygous with the C667T mutation and 11 years later, I am still loving my Deplin. I am off benzos completely, after a long taper, and have lowered my SSRI to a very small dose.”

Jonathan · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “I took this for a while at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. I have the double mthfr mutation. It did nothing for me and is prohibitively expensive. I’m not sure if I buy into their mthfr serotonin theory, but it seems to work for some. For me, I would get these weird sensations in my hands and feet, almost like they were heavier or more sensitive, and I felt like my sleep was less restful (even I got 8 hours consistently) because I was always tired. It made me feel off as well, but I assume that is just depression medication in general.”

DG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: “I have a genetic mutation called MTHFR and struggle with extreme fatigue, extreme brain fog, inflammation, etc. I am on deplin (l-methylfolate) 15mg dosage and it has helped me BOUNDS. I ran out recently after being on it for 8+ months and I could immediately tell a difference. Symptoms that had previously alleviated came back very quickly and prohibited me from being able to engage in my usual activities.”

Finally · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

For Depression: “Hi I've suffered from depression since my early thirties . At that was when it was diagnosed. I've tried most of the antidepressants and for short periods of time they certainly have assisted me come out of some pretty dark places. Now in to my 50s I'm tired of taking the medication and do not feel that it has been assisting me. Recently I have tried Nurofolin and I can't believe the difference. I weaned myself off the antidepressants and then began taking your folin within two weeks my mood was lighter and my anxiety reduced considerably. I have now been taking it for well over 3 months. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who has work done the work and now just wants something to keep their mood balanced. Of course this is not for everyone but in my experience I am so grateful to finally find something that truly helps without the chemical side affects.”

Ravioli · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

For Depression: “After 40 years of SSRIs & counseling failing, I felt hopeless. Many days were torture. I tired too easily, felt sad, hopeless, unmotivated & anxious more than I should have most of my life. Finally I took l methyl folate at 15 mg and got an immediate rash. Then, based on internet info, I took 1mg. I noticed an immediate reduction in sadness, improved energy and interest...but by day 4 I had an unbelievable panic attack with dry heaving and misery. Thankfully, I knew to take niacin and, within the hour, I was normal. This happened 4 times and I had had enough. But I was beyond despair, so I tried it again at between 0.25 and 0.5 mg and added a small amount of niacin (and will add methyl b12 because I think the problem occurred because I’m building up nitrous oxide). This tiny amount, taken carefully, has completely made me normal. NOTHING else did. I have the MTHFR gene mutation, severe form. To me, it’s like a miracle for which I waited too long.”

Nany · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2019

For Depression: “I have been taking L-methlfolate for depression it seems to be working. After trying numerous anti depression meds. I am feeling much better than I have in a long time.”

Frustrated w/different formula December 6, 2019

For Depression: “tl;dr: 5-MTHF, methyl folate calcium salt, whatever it's called by the manufacturer, some forms work better for some people than others. My depression responded poorly to nearly every antidepressant on the market for 10+ yrs. Turns out I'm homozygous for the MTHFR mutation. Started taking 1mg L-methyfolate pills by Superior Source, increasing every few days to hit the recommended 15mg/day for depression. Had an immediate improvement in energy, and my other meds, like Allegra, started working better. I also tried OptiFolate 7.5mg, MD Life 5mg, and NOW 5mg. My depression symptoms and skin-picking came back on each of those. My psych finally wrote me a prescription and now I'm on 15mg pills made by Breckenridge. They work as well for me as Opti Folate: not very well at all. YMMV (your mileage may vary), I've seen reviews on Amazon where people responded much better to Opti Folate than Superior Source. Do your research, & try different makers if one doesn't work for you. I'm waiting for a new prescription.”

Lori · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “Taken Deplin for MDD for nearly 2 yrs and no change in my depression. I recently stopped taking it to save money.”

Julz October 24, 2019

For Depression: “So, I've been on a litany of meds for 40 years. I have BPD1, major depressive disorder with psychotic features. I sometimes have delusions and hallucinations. Both suicidal and homicidal ideations. This has been utterly unbearable because no antidepressants or antipsychotics have ever helped me. The antidepressants cause me to feel suicidal. About a year ago, doctor gave me Deplin. I take it when I need to and it works. Just 3 days ago, I felt suicidal and was hearing the voices inside my head. Day 3 of Deplin and I feel better again. I only use Deplin and nothing else. Yes it's tough managing the other symptoms by myself but they're nothing next to my depressive episodes. All I can say is that L-methylfolate is helping me. It is the only thing that has ever helped. There are some side effects like palpitations, insomnia and some restlessness but I don't care.”

Lucy October 24, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: “I am 66 years old and have suffered from ADD, depression, brain fog, fatigue, extreme anxiety all my life. 30 years ago I was put on Dextroamphetamine 3-4 times a day, and it was a miracle. I came to life, both physically and especially mentally and I slept wonderful. Now that drug has little to no effect on me. My doctor, after doing a gen test on me, says I have a gene mutation and prescribed Deplin for me. At first I felt nothing, now 2 months later, I feel a difference. Not a huge difference.”

GBina · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: “I recently had a Dr’s visit with my Dr who is treating me for ADD, anxiety, and depression. I told him about my daughter (19yrs old) recently being diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation. She has one from each parent. She has severe anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, depression and was recently suicidal. Her psychiatrist ordered lab work and explained to us what MTHFR is and prescribed Deplin, antidepressant, vitamin B-12 500 mcg, Vitamin D3 5,000 mg soft gels. She has completely changed! She feels much better. No more anxiety...no more panic attacks...no more depression...and she is smiling again!! My Dr prescribed Deplin for me too, but unfortunately my insurance company does not cover it (my ex husband’s insurance covers it for our daughter) and I can’t afford it out-of-pocket. I’m still working on finding a way to get it as I’m sure it will help me also. So blessed to have good doctors out there. I have so much respect for all their knowledge.”

Tina August 30, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “I’m a psychiatric nurse and have seen many medications work and many not. For me, Deplin has worked quite well. I’ve stopped taking it before with a marked increase in depression. With Deplin I feel genuine happiness and want to smile. We all know people with depression are pros at the “fake smile” but my smile is from the heart. At the risk of sounding like a marketer for Deplin, there have been a few times I’ve tear up because I’m afraid the happiness will go away. I enjoy being well and don’t take what I have right now for granted. I know the studies aren’t great concerning Deplin but for the people who do respond well to it, Deplin can be a life changer and a life saver.”

jerrystevens · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “Have taken Paxil for years, had a poop out with the Paxil so the doctor added Deplin 15 MG, that did not work had lots of confusion out of touch feelings. I cut the Deplin back to 7.5 MG and in three days it is doing the same thing as the 15 MG. I would assume if you had a folic deficiency it would work. However, I must have enough and this just overloads my system. Not for me cannot get off of it fast enough.”

HelloKitty · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 10, 2019

For Depression: “I had been prescribed this by the same psychiatrist who gave me Wellbutrin. It was originally covered by my drug plan and I wasn't sure it was working. But then my plan stopped covering it (because they said it was a "vitamin" and I ran out. That's when I found the fog of depression setting in deeply. Deplin is ridiculously overpriced for what it is, and many other manufacturers make l-methylfolate equivalents. I have switched to one of those. I use 15mg tablets and cut them in half, so a bottle lasts for 180 days. This is much cheaper than Deplin (the generic costs about 40 cents a day. Deplin without prescription plan is about 4 dollars a day.) Honestly, I think the methylfolate helps me, and the generic is affordable and it works!”

JS · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “The medicine after two weeks I felt dis-oriented confused and flat definitely not any helper more of a deterrent.”

MsRinkyDink · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 16, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “I was being treated for a mood disorder and the meds were kind of helping but many days I still felt ‘disconnected’, rarely having a day where I felt great. I assumed it was normal for me to feel that way. My doctor decided to prescribe Deplin. This was years ago. Anyway, one day, after having been taking it for about 3 weeks, I woke up and realized I felt GREAT! Like the fog had lifted. I have so many great days now. I’ve been on it for years now and it really has changed the quality of my life.”

Scotty · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “I have been taking Deplin 15 mg daily as a supplement to other drugs for my Bipolar illness. It works well and I have no noticeable side effects from it”

Jon Snow · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

For Depression: “I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for 4 years. I used trintellix helped me a lot with memory and anxiety but I was extremely flat for emotions, I then started modafinil and got a huge improvement. Then I was changed to methylphenidate 20 mg ER and the trintellix was reduced to 10 mg. I was using B Vit combo includes methyl folate and methylcobalamine, I suspected it make me anxious but one of my friend told me that it gives extreme energy on high dose so I started 10 mg Methylfolate on first day I was so happy in the morning in the afternoon I was extremely angry yet felt powerful. A friend recommended that I should use niacin with it, so I added 500 mg niacin. Now I cry when listen music or reading what I like. It gives huge boost to methylphenidate, also anger went away when I added niacin I feel emotions so deep and cry with happiness. I am not hyperactive anymore but I have high energy levels, I can go work, then the gym after meet with friends and slept like a baby. I hope this will not change in time.”

Snowpea · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

For Depression: “Tried Neurofolin today As was considering giving it to my late teen with low mood and energy I though I would be the guinea pig first. Had a positive experience. Felt focused and alert all day with sustained results and improved mood and outlook. A little jittery but personally managed ok with that..”

Bear April 22, 2019

For Depression: “Had high hopes for l-methylfolate but my depression and anxiety got worse”

Kendall April 21, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “Deplin has changed my life. My doc did genetic testing for my severe anxiety and panic disorder and found I have the MTHFR gene mutation where I don’t break down folate. He prescribed me this with my antidepressant and it’s been a miracle. I’m no longer anxious, I do not have panic attacks, my depersonalization and derealization is completely gone. I praise the Lord in how good and healed I feel. I’m a RN and I suggest all those who are suffering to give this a try. Hang in there, God is with you. There is hope. You will feel better. Praying for all who read this post.”

Margaret · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “Like many, I have been clinically depressed since my 20’s. (30 years). Cymbalta has helped me the most, but I still get hit with very dark times. Last month, my doctor gave me Deplin samples. I took them, but with very low expectations. Three weeks into it, I began to notice a change...normalcy! It crept up on me. I stopped needing a 2 hour nap, I feel clear minded. My mind doesn’t feel like a Los Angeles freeway. I am calm and feel content. I can’t wait to tell my doctor tomorrow. I also needed a D3 prescription. I am sure my father could have felt so much better with these food meds.”

Cheryl2280 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “I take l-methylfolate (this medical food )once a day with my anti depressant for my anxiety and panic disorder and I feel great. I am always very positive and I never have anxiety. My panic triggers are gone, it is amazing. Definitely recommend to anyone having depression. It works. It's not expensive. 58 a month. Worth it for me. Also helps my folate deficiency. 100% awesome med. Never want to be without it.”

TreatmentResistantDepression · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “We observed no positive contributions to my treatment of depression. No effect at all. Deeply disappointed.”

oliver · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

XaQuil XR (l-methylfolate) for Depression: “improved overall mood with antidepressant use and reduced anxiety”