User Reviews for L-methylfolate

Also known as: Deplin, Duleek-DP, Elfolate, L-Methylfolate Formula, L-Methylfolate Forte, Vilofane-DP, XaQuil XR, Zervalx

Learn more about L-methylfolate.

Folic Acid Deficiency 6 reviews 9 medications

8.5
Depression 78 reviews 79 medications

8.1
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

6.3
Summary of L-methylfolate reviews 86 reviews 7.7

Reviews for L-methylfolate

For Depression: "I started Deplin after having genetic testing And learning I had gene mutation. After 3 days of 15mg of Deplin I developed a raised red rash on both checks. From day one I noticed A huge difference in my mood and depression. I have tried probably 30 anti depressant over the years. After researching online I plan to get the 7.5mg dose and cut it in half and start at a smaller dose. As for now I am stopping it until my rash clears up once clears up I will start taking half of a 7.5mg tablet. Hopefully I won't get rash from that lower dose. But definitely recommend especially if you treatment resistant depression."

Renee12280 (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have the gene deficiency, & 25% ability to make l-methylfolate myself. I have had poor results taking a variety of anti depressants over decades. Only drugs like Klonopin help my anxiety & depression. My doctor prescribed 15 mg Deplin, but I had itchy, red skin & stopped. After reading online that I might need to start at a lower dose, I obtained 7.5 mg, which I cut into 6 parts, & took about 1.25 mg per day for 4 days. Today I realized that over these days I have been feeling consistently more energetic, & do not feel as easily overwhelmed (less crying, less agitation). I'm taken by surprise that this might be working at even this low dose. I'm excited to increase the dose & add B vitamins. WOW, this could be my cure at last"

Rev A (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Wow, this stuff is amazing! It did not work at first, but my sister, who is a nurse, told me, that because I had gastric bypass, that I probably need to take more than the 15 mg because gastric bypass patients do not absorb nutrients very well at all and need supplements. I am now taking 45 mg per day without any side effects. And the negative thinking has all but disappeared. I had a DNA test done as my new psychiatric nurse practitioner, after having listened to my woes of having no success with meds or ECT immediately insisted that I take the DNA test. As she suspected, I have not one but two mutations on my MTHFR gene, which decreases my ability to process folic acid in a big way. She suggested that I try Inositol/Choline too."

Fox_Cooper May 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "As mentioned in other reviews Deplin is designed to augment other medications to increase their efficacy. All Deplin is is L-methylfolate packaged as a Prescription medication by Drug manufacturers to make money on a supplement that is readily available for much less cost. If you are paying more than $30/month check out other brands It sells L-Methylfolate 15 mg 30 capsules for $30. They also have 7.5 mg capsules. Methylpro is not a generic Deplin. Methylpro is L-methylfolate. Deplin is L-Methylfolate. No difference. Naturopaths and savvy Doctors (not the medication only white coats) have been using L-methylfolate years and years before it was packaged as an expensive prescription "drug". Do your homework, save money and stick it to the man"

Pay less April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I was struggling with major depression and OCD and tried several antidepressants before my endocrine doctor found out I had the gene mutation. The first dose of Deplin of 15 mg was too much for me and I felt edgy and anxious. I then tried the 7.5 dosage and honestly felt like myself for the first time in months. Clarity, energy and focus! One side effect was headaches and then I went online to MTHFR.net and learned I needed to supplement with a few things to feel better. This has been answer to prayer for me. I am on 2.5 MG of lexapro and hope to get off of it in the next 6 months. Wish someone would have told me about this sooner!!"

Glassi (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have taken anti-depressants for years, with some improvement but mostly moderate to severe side affects, which makes me go off them. I only take Cymbalta now mostly for pain. When I began Deplin, I noticed a major improvement overnight. More energy, better disposition, and no sinking to the low lows of major depression. I have been taking it for about 3 months now and feel like a normal person for the first time ever. Best thing, no side effects."

AuntAnn March 9, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "After a suprise DNA test done by my Primary Care Doctor I recieved a call from the distribitor of this so called Vitamin and the caller tried to pressure me into auto shipments of prescription before I ever received my DNA results my Doctor. My Doctor had shared my DNA results with the makers of Deplin before sharing them with me. Deplin 15 caused extreme bloating and pain twice resulting in cracked ribs, sternum etc. I now suffer from shallow breathing and have a lump in my chest where my sternum bone broke with damage to my rib cage and struggle to breath deeply though my lungs are clear. My Ox levels have dropped my 5 % over the past year and I was fired by my Doctor that caused this when I refused to keep taking it. Kick backs?"

RAOBANION (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I am taking 225 mg of Lamictal for depression. The Dr. wanted me to try this along with the Lamictal. I took it once, at bedtime and woke up with the worst headache I've had in my entire life, and it lasted all day. Also had very loud ringing in my ears which lasted all day. Not good. Needless to say, I did not take it again, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness."

jonnyzero November 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I've gone through deepshit, to the wall depression - had ECT et al while on meds. Went off and have NOOOO regrets b/c I finally started having feelings again (after 25 years on meds).... But I went through deep retaliation at work for speaking out against a bully, and the PTSD from that became deeply real only after two lawsuits were settled and every state/federal complaint was successfully settled. I won... but the PTSD won even more. And ya think you can find a shrink who looks at alternatives to antidepressants? HA! My only salvation came in the form of my doctor, an internist, who suggested I go to ER b/c of thyroid stuff. While 5 days on a med/surg unit was not free from shit... I got connected with a shrink who prescribed THIS."

Goodue1950 November 11, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Deplin has saved my life. For two years I have struggled with debilitating depression and anxiety. I have been on every anti-depressant and anti-psychotic, and went through sixteen sessions of ECT. A fourth visit in the hospital landed me under the care of a psychiatrist who finally ordered genetic testing for me, and we learned I have the gene-mutation that impairs folate production. Started Deplin 15 mg eight days ago and I feel absolutely wonderful. Mood is great, anxiety has improved significantly, and I feel so peaceful. My energy level is up, and I feel hopeful and full of life again. I am so relieved and happy I could cry."

Color Love (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have struggled with depression almost all my life and have been on Zoloft for more than 20 years. I recently told my doctor that in addition to being overwhelmed with devastating family health issues, I had been becoming more and more fearful of losing my career because I couldn't seem to remember even the simplest of tasks. I was literally losing my mind!!!! He prescribed DEPLIN. I've been on it for roughly four months. SUCCESS!! My memory and mind is as sharp as it's ever been. Thank God for DEPLIN. Additionally, my overall mood has improved and I have a calm outlook on life and now take everything in stride. It's been years since I've been able to just "go with the flow". I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. THANK YOU, DEPLIN!!"

Karin, Kissimmee, FL October 20, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "First I want to advise others that Deplin is an adjunct to your antidepressant, not an antidepressant. I am on day 4, and already feel more clarity, better mood, and more energy. I have Narcoplesy, untreated due to allergic to meds for this condition. So, greater energy and more awake so great. In addition, I have been battling severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastritis and severe upper gastric pain for 10 months. Most days I have been unable to eat other than breakfast. The evening of my first day of Deplin, greatly reduced my irritable bowel issues, and since then little to no pain. I had a ham and cheese sub yesterday. It is like a miracle. Good luck to those prescribed this medication."

JoRoberta September 16, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Soon after beginning menopause I began to wake up after only sleeping for about 4 1/2 hours and I couldn't get back to sleep. This became a vicious cycle where I worried that I couldn't get back to sleep which increased the anxiety which kept me from getting back to sleep. My neurologist recommended Nidra Yoga. She also prescribed 15MG of Deplin. Even though I wasn't low in folate nor was I taking an SSRI, the Deplin was just what I needed to keep me more relaxed. I also read Learn to Relax by Eugene Walker and did progressive desensitization exercises while visualizing myself relaxing and getting back to sleep. The Savvy Insomniac also helped me understand that I could get back to sleep if I didn't stress about it."

Analytical Annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for : "Prescribed for my young daughter with Autism and epilepsy, anxiety- hair pulling , but the dose was too high and caused even more anxiety, so found reducing it from every day, to once a week, and sometimes just twice a month, makes a huge difference for her to receive the benefit without the heightened anxiety. I muscle test for the amount and timing, and notice when she is pulling her eyelashes, hair or eyebrows."

LURee August 9, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "It has helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't seem to have antidepressant effects. It's definitely helping me "think" better - I'm not confused anymore."

Stonecrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Long history of medication resistant recurrent major depression. Tried Deplin 15 mg daily for 6 months. No improvement at all seen with Deplin. Total waste of money for me."

Rich Dock (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Normally I only peruse these listings, but this time I thought I owed it to all my fellow readers to give a detailed review. I began taking 10mg methyfolate around 10 days ago at the urging of my father, who, for obvious reasons, shares a very similar genetic predisposition toward depression and anxiety. The results? All I can say is wow. Within 1 day, I felt like my internal motor that had been idling along at a 5 out of 10 had been turned up to a 10 for the first time in a long time. I had more energy, clearer thoughts, happier disposition, appetite and libido returned full force. My only regret is not trying this stuff sooner. If it feels like nothing has ever really solved the problem before, please try this. It's a miracle."

Former Skeptic (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Folic Acid Deficiency: "MTHFR with some bipolar, previous ADHD and OCD diagnoses. Started taking Deplin with B12 (methyl folate)- be sure to take both - and seeing great results. Mood improved greatly and performance overall. Couldn't imagine life without it!"

MedStudent91 July 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Terrible! I was on it 3 days while also on Viibryd and it caused me SEVERE anxiety. I was found to have a compound heterozygous gene mutation and the psychiatrist thought this should help. Wrong. I also found out through the gene test I cannot take SSRI's. Viibryd is a hydrid SSRI. The combination was bad news for me and I had to stop the AD cold turkey bc the blast of Deplin apparently caused me serotonin overload. Still struggling 4 weeks later. From what I've researched, l-methyl folate should be started at SMALL doses, like 400mg, NOT 15mg (Deplin).... Lord!"

Lskmjk (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "2 weeks after starting 15 mg I started having insomnia, increased anxiety, and aggitation. Apparently these can be rare side effects. I am stopping the medication."

Sndallas July 3, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I started Deplin 8 months ago. I thought it was helping but I didnt notice drastic effects. I stopped taking it for 2 weeks due to the cost and quickly realized it had been working.I started feeling lethargic and unmotivated. Since I have been taking it daily I am much more active, energetic, less moody, and I am happier. I think it is a subtle change but over time it is drastic."

Ajade2003 June 29, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have suffered with depression since I was a child but of course I didn't know it then. Alcohol and drugs became my only salvation. Eventually I had to get sober. Still depressed. Had a relapse that lasted 4 years. Sobered up again. 18 years sober and still suffering that back cloud with anxiety on top. Tried Depli 3 months ago. I didn't expect good results since I've taken so many antidepressants over the years. I felt better the first day. I feel like normal people feel. I have hope, motivation, freedom. I am completely happy. I know this has not been everyone's experience, but it's mine, and for that; I'm eternally grateful. If your insurance doesn't cover it file an appeal. If you can pay cash it's only $178 for 3 months or pay monthly"

Jeanne Beanie June 12, 2016

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression for the better part of 60 years. Anxiety was normal for me until a friend told me about Deplin's L-methylfolate. She explained that severe anxiety could be from an inability to absorb folate. I asked my Dr for an Rx and he said it wouldn't hurt to try this it was a medical food and not a drug. I was on Ativan, Prozac, Doxepin and Trazadone and still had anxiety 24/7. Within one week of taking L-methylfolate, I had absolutely NO anxiety. It was so quiet in my soul that I almost felt anxiety about not having anxiety! It was foreign to me; the steady drip, drip, drip of adrenalin rushing through my system was shut off. Within six months I was off all other medications. This was a miracle for me."

usagranny June 11, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "I have been on Deplin 15mg for about 3.5 months. I have the mutation and was hopeful that this would help. I noticed no change whatsoever in my anxiety or depression. I also started having severe joint pain and nothing had changed but adding Deplin. My doctor recommended that I stop the Deplin. I have been off for 3 days and continue to have joint pain. Would love to hear from others with a similar experience."

CK1210 May 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Deplin (l-methylfolate) for Depression: "Not worked for my depression. Zero effect."

mikoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016