User Reviews for Deplin

Depression
7.7

Summary of Deplin reviews 7.7 75 reviews

Reviews for Deplin

For Hyperhomocysteinemia "Having the MTHFR C677T double mutation I started taking deplin in August of 2016. I had very high homocysteine levels and felt awful for a long time. I started on 15mg and moved down to 7.5. My homocysteine has balanced out to consistent normal. My energy levels are way up. My B12 came down in huge leaps and bounds and is now stabilized"

Sunset (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2018

For Folic Acid Deficiency "I just started deplin today! I’ve been reading people’s comments and half say it’s helped them and half have not. I’ve also researched it and have read so many different articles. From my understanding you should start off at a low dose and if that doesn’t help then take more. If the dosage is to high or low and your not feeling better adjust it. I personally wouldn’t give up after trying it one time at one dose. This medicine has changed peoples lives into feeling like a normal happy person with energy. I personally hope it works for me and I feel better! I’m not giving up! Try to research it before giving up. I wish everyone good luck with deplin."

Maybelline (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

For Depression "If you are taking Deplin because of the MFTHR genetic abnormality, you were misled by your doctor(s). This genetic test is being pushed by the pysch field even though it has not been proven. Look up the studies on MFTHR and you will soon learn that most of what you read about are myths. That being said Deplin does have its benefits. "

TZT (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

For Depression "I had the swab genetic test done. I lack the MFTHR gene that creates the enzyme that breaks down folic acid to folate. Without folate depression is very likely. My DR prescribed Deplin as it would take 60 bottles of over the counter folate to equate to the convenient orange capsule. The first three weeks my depression and anxiety got worse. My doctor wasn't helpful but I kept taking it. I’m around week 5 and I am able to see my compulsive eating as not good for me as I am morbidly obese. I don't feel overly happy but more in control in a chaotic World and able to focus more. I'll chat to my doctor about getting off Lamictal once I've had a couple months on Deplin. I am far less paranoid and explosive but I have routine scary dreams being out of control. I can't put my finger on it but I think I am better off with Deplin and apprehensive to go off it. This is not the placebo effect talking. I think I can lose weight and get off the bipolar meds. I pay $160 for three months supply."

Zarathustra (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Depression "MUST take Deplin and not a generic and definitely not over the counter folic acid or folate! These can make things worse! My C spinal fluid showed that I have a less prominent type of folate abnormality. Wasn't detected in a gene swab test. Anyway, just started taking 15mg as an Anti-depressant add-on. Made my depression & anxiety worse!!! I would stop taking it, but my doc has me taking a lower dose as she recognizes that Deplin can cause a worsening of symptoms in certain folks. It just needs to be started low and gradually increased. So, please start with a low dose if it makes you MORE anxious/depressed at 15mg. Too early to say it helps, but the lower dose is needed, to start, for some. And it may take many months to work--for some!"

Seeking28 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

For Depression "Who turned the lights on?! Oh hey Deplin, it's you! This oddly classified medical food has been a welcomed step towards victory I've needed far too long, and I'm only taking the Rx for about a month..This is nothing like anything I've taken-I have Bipolar 1 & have had a slippery disaster with any and all antidepressants and have just glided along life with mood stabilizers and atypicals. I have energy, but I'm in no way jittery or hyper and I sleep like a baby. I have tons of focus & can work more effectively and efficiently, not many at a manic pace-just really focused. I found a part of myself I lost, self-esteem and confidence. When I say or act I say it like I mean it & it's well presented. Don' t hesitate to try it"

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

For Folic Acid Deficiency "I have suffered from depression for 20+ years. I stumbled across a gene mutation called MTHFR, and decided to do more research. Here is what is very important; if you have this gene mutation then, in some form, your body does not break down folate aka folic acid. Folic acid is imperative to seratonin levels, which effect your mood and sleeping patterns. IF your body cannot produce serotonin then taking a seratonin based mediation will never work. You are asking your body to produce more seratonin and it can't do it, it can't produce more because it isn't able to. For people who have this gene mutation which is 1:2 ratio having a supplement is important. Folic acid is broken down 8 times to reach the effective type and my body cannot break down the first 7, so Deplin essential for me"

Maidenofred (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2017

For Depression "My doctor gave me a grocery bag full of samples because she said it was expensive. I never took them. I am bipolar with also anxiety. Depression will get very low spontaneously but is much more controlled with my seroquel and fluoxetine and xanax if needed. I had an appointment recently and she reminded me that I need to take the Deplin as it augments my antidepressant! I didn't realize this so I made sure to take it. Now I don't remember the last time I felt this good and functional. She gave me another grocery bag of samples. Deplin absolutely is great for me."

Leelee3333 July 28, 2017

For Depression "Started taking Deplin to curb the side effects I was feeling on Lexapro. I'm not really sure if was working or if I just thought it was working. It also cost a lot of money."

Courtney1123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

For Depression "Like many others I took the Genomind test which told me that SSRI's were not optimal and that SNRI's were a better choice. After 16 years and 20 different meds, I have had MUCH better success with SSRI's than SNRI's. The test results also said that I was deficient in what Deplin could provide. I have been taking 15mg of Deplin for almost 3 weeks now and have been experiencing some of the lowest depression that I have ever felt. Today I woke up feeling just as miserable as I have been for the past 3 weeks so I decided not to take Deplin. As I slumped through he morning I started to feel a wave of happiness and excitement for life come over me around 10:30am and I still feel great. I feel like "my" normal self again. $60 wasted!"

skytrex (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

For Depression "I started this supplement with high hopes. I was given it to boost the effectiveness of the Pristiq I'm taking. After using it for over a month I'm disappointed. Really have experienced no change. I'll keep searching for the right combination of meds."

Laura W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

For Depression "I have the gene deficiency, & 25% ability to make l-methylfolate myself. I have had poor results taking a variety of anti depressants over decades. Only drugs like Klonopin help my anxiety & depression. My doctor prescribed 15 mg Deplin, but I had itchy, red skin & stopped. After reading online that I might need to start at a lower dose, I obtained 7.5 mg, which I cut into 6 parts, & took about 1.25 mg per day for 4 days. Today I realized that over these days I have been feeling consistently more energetic, & do not feel as easily overwhelmed (less crying, less agitation). I'm taken by surprise that this might be working at even this low dose. I'm excited to increase the dose & add B vitamins. WOW, this could be my cure at last"

Rev A (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

For Depression "I was struggling with major depression and OCD and tried several antidepressants before my endocrine doctor found out I had the gene mutation. The first dose of Deplin of 15 mg was too much for me and I felt edgy and anxious. I then tried the 7.5 dosage and honestly felt like myself for the first time in months. Clarity, energy and focus! One side effect was headaches and then I went online to MTHFR.net and learned I needed to supplement with a few things to feel better. This has been answer to prayer for me. I am on 2.5 MG of lexapro and hope to get off of it in the next 6 months. Wish someone would have told me about this sooner!!"

Glassi (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

For Depression "I have taken anti-depressants for years, with some improvement but mostly moderate to severe side affects, which makes me go off them. I only take Cymbalta now mostly for pain. When I began Deplin, I noticed a major improvement overnight. More energy, better disposition, and no sinking to the low lows of major depression. I have been taking it for about 3 months now and feel like a normal person for the first time ever. Best thing, no side effects."

AuntAnn March 9, 2017

For Folic Acid Deficiency "After a suprise DNA test done by my Primary Care Doctor I recieved a call from the distribitor of this so called Vitamin and the caller tried to pressure me into auto shipments of prescription before I ever received my DNA results my Doctor. My Doctor had shared my DNA results with the makers of Deplin before sharing them with me. Deplin 15 caused extreme bloating and pain twice resulting in cracked ribs, sternum etc. I now suffer from shallow breathing and have a lump in my chest where my sternum bone broke with damage to my rib cage and struggle to breath deeply though my lungs are clear. My Ox levels have dropped my 5 % over the past year and I was fired by my Doctor that caused this when I refused to keep taking it. Kick backs?"

RAOBANION (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2017

For Depression "I am taking 225 mg of Lamictal for depression. The Dr. wanted me to try this along with the Lamictal. I took it once, at bedtime and woke up with the worst headache I've had in my entire life, and it lasted all day. Also had very loud ringing in my ears which lasted all day. Not good. Needless to say, I did not take it again, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness."

jonnyzero November 12, 2016

For Depression "I've gone through deepshit, to the wall depression - had ECT et al while on meds. Went off and have NOOOO regrets b/c I finally started having feelings again (after 25 years on meds).... But I went through deep retaliation at work for speaking out against a bully, and the PTSD from that became deeply real only after two lawsuits were settled and every state/federal complaint was successfully settled. I won... but the PTSD won even more. And ya think you can find a shrink who looks at alternatives to antidepressants? HA! My only salvation came in the form of my doctor, an internist, who suggested I go to ER b/c of thyroid stuff. While 5 days on a med/surg unit was not free from shit... I got connected with a shrink who prescribed THIS."

Goodue1950 November 11, 2016

For Depression "Deplin has saved my life. For two years I have struggled with debilitating depression and anxiety. I have been on every anti-depressant and anti-psychotic, and went through sixteen sessions of ECT. A fourth visit in the hospital landed me under the care of a psychiatrist who finally ordered genetic testing for me, and we learned I have the gene-mutation that impairs folate production. Started Deplin 15 mg eight days ago and I feel absolutely wonderful. Mood is great, anxiety has improved significantly, and I feel so peaceful. My energy level is up, and I feel hopeful and full of life again. I am so relieved and happy I could cry."

Color Love (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

For Depression "I have struggled with depression almost all my life and have been on Zoloft for more than 20 years. I recently told my doctor that in addition to being overwhelmed with devastating family health issues, I had been becoming more and more fearful of losing my career because I couldn't seem to remember even the simplest of tasks. I was literally losing my mind!!!! He prescribed DEPLIN. I've been on it for roughly four months. SUCCESS!! My memory and mind is as sharp as it's ever been. Thank God for DEPLIN. Additionally, my overall mood has improved and I have a calm outlook on life and now take everything in stride. It's been years since I've been able to just "go with the flow". I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. THANK YOU, DEPLIN!!"

Karin, Kissimmee, FL October 20, 2016

For Depression "First I want to advise others that Deplin is an adjunct to your antidepressant, not an antidepressant. I am on day 4, and already feel more clarity, better mood, and more energy. I have Narcoplesy, untreated due to allergic to meds for this condition. So, greater energy and more awake so great. In addition, I have been battling severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastritis and severe upper gastric pain for 10 months. Most days I have been unable to eat other than breakfast. The evening of my first day of Deplin, greatly reduced my irritable bowel issues, and since then little to no pain. I had a ham and cheese sub yesterday. It is like a miracle. Good luck to those prescribed this medication."

JoRoberta September 16, 2016

"Prescribed for my young daughter with Autism and epilepsy, anxiety- hair pulling , but the dose was too high and caused even more anxiety, so found reducing it from every day, to once a week, and sometimes just twice a month, makes a huge difference for her to receive the benefit without the heightened anxiety. I muscle test for the amount and timing, and notice when she is pulling her eyelashes, hair or eyebrows."

LURee August 9, 2016

For Depression "It has helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't seem to have antidepressant effects. It's definitely helping me "think" better - I'm not confused anymore."

Stonecrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

For Depression "Long history of medication resistant recurrent major depression. Tried Deplin 15 mg daily for 6 months. No improvement at all seen with Deplin. Total waste of money for me."

Rich Dock (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

For Folic Acid Deficiency "MTHFR with some bipolar, previous ADHD and OCD diagnoses. Started taking Deplin with B12 (methyl folate)- be sure to take both - and seeing great results. Mood improved greatly and performance overall. Couldn't imagine life without it!"

MedStudent91 July 11, 2016

For Depression "Terrible! I was on it 3 days while also on Viibryd and it caused me SEVERE anxiety. I was found to have a compound heterozygous gene mutation and the psychiatrist thought this should help. Wrong. I also found out through the gene test I cannot take SSRI's. Viibryd is a hydrid SSRI. The combination was bad news for me and I had to stop the AD cold turkey bc the blast of Deplin apparently caused me serotonin overload. Still struggling 4 weeks later. From what I've researched, l-methyl folate should be started at SMALL doses, like 400mg, NOT 15mg (Deplin).... Lord!"

Lskmjk (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016