User Reviews for Deplin

Depression 51 reviews 79 medications

7.7
Summary of Deplin reviews 55 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Deplin

"Prescribed for my young daughter with Autism and epilepsy, anxiety- hair pulling , but the dose was too high and caused even more anxiety, so found reducing it from every day, to once a week, and sometimes just twice a month, makes a huge difference for her to receive the benefit without the heightened anxiety. I muscle test for the amount and timing, and notice when she is pulling her eyelashes, hair or eyebrows."

LURee August 9, 2016

For Depression "It has helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't seem to have antidepressant effects. It's definitely helping me "think" better - I'm not confused anymore."

Stonecrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

For Depression "Long history of medication resistant recurrent major depression. Tried Deplin 15 mg daily for 6 months. No improvement at all seen with Deplin. Total waste of money for me."

Rich Dock (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

For Folic Acid Deficiency "MTHFR with some bipolar, previous ADHD and OCD diagnoses. Started taking Deplin with B12 (methyl folate)- be sure to take both - and seeing great results. Mood improved greatly and performance overall. Couldn't imagine life without it!"

MedStudent91 July 11, 2016

For Depression "Terrible! I was on it 3 days while also on Viibryd and it caused me SEVERE anxiety. I was found to have a compound heterozygous gene mutation and the psychiatrist thought this should help. Wrong. I also found out through the gene test I cannot take SSRI's. Viibryd is a hydrid SSRI. The combination was bad news for me and I had to stop the AD cold turkey bc the blast of Deplin apparently caused me serotonin overload. Still struggling 4 weeks later. From what I've researched, l-methyl folate should be started at SMALL doses, like 400mg, NOT 15mg (Deplin).... Lord!"

Lskmjk (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Depression "I started Deplin 8 months ago. I thought it was helping but I didnt notice drastic effects. I stopped taking it for 2 weeks due to the cost and quickly realized it had been working.I started feeling lethargic and unmotivated. Since I have been taking it daily I am much more active, energetic, less moody, and I am happier. I think it is a subtle change but over time it is drastic."

Ajade2003 June 29, 2016

For Depression "I have suffered with depression since I was a child but of course I didn't know it then. Alcohol and drugs became my only salvation. Eventually I had to get sober. Still depressed. Had a relapse that lasted 4 years. Sobered up again. 18 years sober and still suffering that back cloud with anxiety on top. Tried Depli 3 months ago. I didn't expect good results since I've taken so many antidepressants over the years. I felt better the first day. I feel like normal people feel. I have hope, motivation, freedom. I am completely happy. I know this has not been everyone's experience, but it's mine, and for that; I'm eternally grateful. If your insurance doesn't cover it file an appeal. If you can pay cash it's only $178 for 3 months or pay monthly"

Jeanne Beanie June 12, 2016

For Depression "I have been on Deplin 15mg for about 3.5 months. I have the mutation and was hopeful that this would help. I noticed no change whatsoever in my anxiety or depression. I also started having severe joint pain and nothing had changed but adding Deplin. My doctor recommended that I stop the Deplin. I have been off for 3 days and continue to have joint pain. Would love to hear from others with a similar experience."

CK1210 May 26, 2016

For Depression "Not worked for my depression. Zero effect."

mikoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

For Depression "I'm just starting deplin I need energy I been taking Wellburtion for two yrs now 100 mg 3 times daily I pray it work for my energy level."

joy2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Depression "I have suffered with depression as long as I can remember, high school and since. I'm 30 years old. I've tried everything to help my depression. Paxil lexpril prozac HTP5 WELBUTRIN and now celexa. Celexa did help more than the other antidepressants bUT still I was suffering from depression. I lost my baby girl doggie who was only 3 years old and was just like my child. My world fell apart and my depression became severe at the worst I ve ever experienced. I went to the doctor to talk about options as the severity of depression was overruling my life. Doc gave me 30 deplin 15 mg capsules samples. In 2 days I felt alive again. I am so grateful. Look up brand direct health and have you dr send your script to them. Much cheaper. 65 $ for 30cap"

MyleeJ14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

For Depression "Within just days of my first dose, I could fell a huge, positive difference. My mind and speech were clearer, my anxiety was nearly unrecognizable, and I was just plain happy. I admit that the cost has been somewhat limiting at times. When I have chosen to delay filling a prescription for a week or two, not only can I feel the difference, but my coworkers, family and friends quickly point out the changes. It's an amazing supplement and worth every penny (when I have it to spare). Plan to stay on it from now on!"

RNGeorgia September 23, 2015

For Depression "I was born with Spina Bifida L4-5 s1-2 along wt a myleomingeocole. My Birth issues were due to LowFolate. Through life I have struggled wt Depression always being told it was due to the Spina Bifida. I fought through a major depression my senior year in college. When I became employed following college and had insurance I sought counseling & medication taking imipramine. When Prozac became available I began it. After a decline in my health from a stoke at 33 My depression became worse requiring hospitalization. Five years ago I returned to my hometown & sought medical care from my high school friend. He tested me for L methyofolate deficiency. I was deficient he put me on Deplin 15mg wt Zoloft 100mg. I am finally emotionally healthy"

Terriwriter September 4, 2015

For Depression "I have been taking Paxil/Paroxetine for approx.15 years. About 2 years ago, I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I had long been very sensitive to noise. I would get really upset (angry) by the sound of the doorbell, or even my young daughter's playfulness. My Dr. recommended Deplin as an additional "medicine". After a couple of weeks of taking Deplin,,my sensitivity improved greatly. I did not feel any different, nor have any side-effects. I stopped for a couple of weeks, thinking that it didn't really do anything, and I DID notice a big difference. Although it is expensive, I will continue to take my 15mg every day (along with my Paxil) It works!, My husband agrees! "

StaceyaS August 8, 2015

For Depression "I started taking Deplin 2 months ago in addition to the 300 mg. of Wellbutrin I had already been taking for several years. I was experiencing a very low level of chronic depression but generally okay. The doctor recommended I try Deplin to see whether it would increase my level of well-being. I could swear I feel a lot MORE depressed with the Deplin. Nothing has changed in terms of life style over the past few months, so I can't think of any other explanation. Needless to say, I'm going to stop taking it. I had no idea it might worsen my symptoms."

Haystackneedle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015

For Depression "My sister was tested and has the MTHFR mutation. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and bowel problems since childhood. I have only been on Deplin for five days but I have never been so energized and just generally happy in my life. Finally I have hope for the future. Before I was unsure how long I could last because I knew all of my symptoms were slowly worsening. Now I feel like a little kid again. All I want to do is dance around and do handstands. Everything and everyone makes me laugh and life has never been so good. My ADHD, depression(obviously) and IBS have dissipated, I have increased sex drive and metabolism and even my liver is detoxing again. THANK YOU DEPLIN"

I feel like a puppy May 10, 2015

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Because this is a food/medicine, there is no way it can cause side effects. I have only been on it for a little over a week, but I am thrilled!! I do not feel depressed, and I am feeling energized and better than I have in years! I have taken every kind of antidepressant there is, I think. I weaned off the last one, and right now I am not on anything but Deplin. I am amazed."

glbrosnan (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I've been using antidepressants for quite a few years now. I seem to have gone through the entire list of antidepressants. My latest script is Escitalopram Tabs, 10mg. We recently added Abilify and this Deplin Caps, 15mg. I've been feeling a bit better. One of these two give me an awful case of Heartburn! Painful it is. I'll mention it during my next appointment. Now, as before, I can't watch anything with intense emotions as I'll breakdown and start crying. At age 52 I find it a bit annoying. Before I added these last two medicines I found myself crying more frequent than not. The movie "UP" really freaked me out. Anyway I'm disabled with intractable pain. That's what started all the depression stuff."

stgecko (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

For Depression "I have been taking Citalopram and Clonazepam (for panic attack only) for MONTHS. My anxiety level, even on these medicines, was completely out of control. To the point where my muscles were twitching non stop all day long (as well as other physical symptoms). I added the Deplin to my 20mg Citalopram at the request of my doctor. Within a few days I felt like a completely new person! Better than I have felt in years. My muscle twitching completely went away and I no longer have obsessive thoughts. I highly recommend this medicine for anyone suffering with severe anxiety or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It is life changer. Well worth the $60 a month."

Anxious like crazy (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "For the past several years I have been trying to find the right balance to deal with the anxiety and depression of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been on Citalopram for the depression and that seems to work well. It has been hard to find an antipsychotic that works and currently I'm on Latuda. I'm also on a mood stabilizer Lamictal. My Dr added Deplin. Long story I wound up without my Latuda and Deplin for about 6 weeks. In 6 weeks I was off the charts on the ups and my old patterns were popping up. Not good. I went back on the Latuda and began evening out but still had too much up. Now I've been back on the Deplin for a week and I feel completely numb. Trouble sleeping at the right times, trouble being awake or at least alert at the right times."

ktexas October 27, 2014

For Depression "I was so very excited when I found out that I could be helped after being diagnosed with MTHFR, I was on Deplin 15mg a day, I actually felt fantastic after about 2 months of treatment, after about 8 months I slowly started getting severe muscle pain and weakness also extreme joint pain as to where I could barely work or do the slightest of activities. Doctors ran a ton of blood tests but found nothing, I recently stopped taking Deplin and have found that the issues have disappeared! I loved Deplin and am very sad I can't take it any longer! It really also helps with depression and mood!"

Ellablue1 August 25, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "This is a great add-on medication for depression. I am compound heterozygous for the C677T and A1298C MTHFR mutations. I was taking Celexa and Wellbutrin and still having frequent depressive episodes when I first started taking the Deplin. After about a month on Deplin, I weaned off the Wellbutrin. We later lowered my dosage of Celexa too. I did try to wean off Celexa completely and use Deplin as mono-therapy, but ran into issues. I've been taking Celexa 20mg and Deplin 15mg for over a year now and it's still working great!"

Spectatrix (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Added Deplin 15mg to 150 mg dose of Wellbutrin when the Wellbutrin no longer worked as well. It did help for a few days but then I developed severe muscle weakness, stiffness and pain particularly in my neck and shoulders. Bad enough that I could not turn my head or look up or down without great discomfort. Kind of felt like I had whiplash. I did some research and found that the muscle pain can be a side effect of both medications. I have not ever had this problem on Wellbutrin alone, so I'm inclined to think the Deplin caused this. I quit taking both medications because I couldn't function with the pain and stiffness any longer and 2 days later the pain is still there but is slowly subsiding."

Jennifried (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

"I finished the 6 day trial, and I must say I felt so good on the last 2-3 days on Deplin. I didn't experience the crazy lows I had in the last few months. I don't truly have depression, more like bipolar 2, and on no medications. I love my emotions, and want to work with them, so my naturopath suggested we try Deplin. I will be seeing her again next week, and I will ask her to continue it."

Aging Backwards (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2014

For Depression "I thought I would share my experience as it may be helpful to others. I have been on this for over 2 years now... and depression wise (which is what I'm basing my rating off of because that is what this rating is supposed to pertain to) it hasn't done anything for me at all. At least nothing at all that I have ever noticed. I have stayed on the medication because of the fact IT DOES help bring down my homosistine levels. I have a condition referred to as MTHFR. Basically it's a liver enzyme condition that makes it so the body doesn't convert proteins/peptides very well. Common condition (1/10 americans) but rarely tested for. The lab had to look up what to do for drawing blood and testing for it."

just a guy March 26, 2014