User Reviews for Deplin

Learn more about Deplin.

Deplin Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Deplin to treat Depression

"My doctor gave me a grocery bag full of samples because she said it was expensive. I never took them. I am bipolar with also anxiety. Depression will get very low spontaneously but is much more controlled with my seroquel and fluoxetine and xanax if needed. I had an appointment recently and she reminded me that I need to take the Deplin as it augments my antidepressant! I didn't realize this so I made sure to take it. Now I don't remember the last time I felt this good and functional. She gave me another grocery bag of samples. Deplin absolutely is great for me."

Leelee3333 July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Deplin to curb the side effects I was feeling on Lexapro. I'm not really sure if was working or if I just thought it was working. It also cost a lot of money."

Courtney1123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Like many others I took the Genomind test which told me that SSRI's were not optimal and that SNRI's were a better choice. After 16 years and 20 different meds, I have had MUCH better success with SSRI's than SNRI's. The test results also said that I was deficient in what Deplin could provide. I have been taking 15mg of Deplin for almost 3 weeks now and have been experiencing some of the lowest depression that I have ever felt. Today I woke up feeling just as miserable as I have been for the past 3 weeks so I decided not to take Deplin. As I slumped through he morning I started to feel a wave of happiness and excitement for life come over me around 10:30am and I still feel great. I feel like "my" normal self again. $60 wasted!"

skytrex (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this supplement with high hopes. I was given it to boost the effectiveness of the Pristiq I'm taking. After using it for over a month I'm disappointed. Really have experienced no change. I'll keep searching for the right combination of meds."

Laura W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have the gene deficiency, & 25% ability to make l-methylfolate myself. I have had poor results taking a variety of anti depressants over decades. Only drugs like Klonopin help my anxiety & depression. My doctor prescribed 15 mg Deplin, but I had itchy, red skin & stopped. After reading online that I might need to start at a lower dose, I obtained 7.5 mg, which I cut into 6 parts, & took about 1.25 mg per day for 4 days. Today I realized that over these days I have been feeling consistently more energetic, & do not feel as easily overwhelmed (less crying, less agitation). I'm taken by surprise that this might be working at even this low dose. I'm excited to increase the dose & add B vitamins. WOW, this could be my cure at last"

Rev A (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was struggling with major depression and OCD and tried several antidepressants before my endocrine doctor found out I had the gene mutation. The first dose of Deplin of 15 mg was too much for me and I felt edgy and anxious. I then tried the 7.5 dosage and honestly felt like myself for the first time in months. Clarity, energy and focus! One side effect was headaches and then I went online to MTHFR.net and learned I needed to supplement with a few things to feel better. This has been answer to prayer for me. I am on 2.5 MG of lexapro and hope to get off of it in the next 6 months. Wish someone would have told me about this sooner!!"

Glassi (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken anti-depressants for years, with some improvement but mostly moderate to severe side affects, which makes me go off them. I only take Cymbalta now mostly for pain. When I began Deplin, I noticed a major improvement overnight. More energy, better disposition, and no sinking to the low lows of major depression. I have been taking it for about 3 months now and feel like a normal person for the first time ever. Best thing, no side effects."

AuntAnn March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking 225 mg of Lamictal for depression. The Dr. wanted me to try this along with the Lamictal. I took it once, at bedtime and woke up with the worst headache I've had in my entire life, and it lasted all day. Also had very loud ringing in my ears which lasted all day. Not good. Needless to say, I did not take it again, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness."

jonnyzero November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've gone through deepshit, to the wall depression - had ECT et al while on meds. Went off and have NOOOO regrets b/c I finally started having feelings again (after 25 years on meds).... But I went through deep retaliation at work for speaking out against a bully, and the PTSD from that became deeply real only after two lawsuits were settled and every state/federal complaint was successfully settled. I won... but the PTSD won even more. And ya think you can find a shrink who looks at alternatives to antidepressants? HA! My only salvation came in the form of my doctor, an internist, who suggested I go to ER b/c of thyroid stuff. While 5 days on a med/surg unit was not free from shit... I got connected with a shrink who prescribed THIS."

Goodue1950 November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Deplin has saved my life. For two years I have struggled with debilitating depression and anxiety. I have been on every anti-depressant and anti-psychotic, and went through sixteen sessions of ECT. A fourth visit in the hospital landed me under the care of a psychiatrist who finally ordered genetic testing for me, and we learned I have the gene-mutation that impairs folate production. Started Deplin 15 mg eight days ago and I feel absolutely wonderful. Mood is great, anxiety has improved significantly, and I feel so peaceful. My energy level is up, and I feel hopeful and full of life again. I am so relieved and happy I could cry."

Color Love (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have struggled with depression almost all my life and have been on Zoloft for more than 20 years. I recently told my doctor that in addition to being overwhelmed with devastating family health issues, I had been becoming more and more fearful of losing my career because I couldn't seem to remember even the simplest of tasks. I was literally losing my mind!!!! He prescribed DEPLIN. I've been on it for roughly four months. SUCCESS!! My memory and mind is as sharp as it's ever been. Thank God for DEPLIN. Additionally, my overall mood has improved and I have a calm outlook on life and now take everything in stride. It's been years since I've been able to just "go with the flow". I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON. THANK YOU, DEPLIN!!"

Karin, Kissimmee, FL October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First I want to advise others that Deplin is an adjunct to your antidepressant, not an antidepressant. I am on day 4, and already feel more clarity, better mood, and more energy. I have Narcoplesy, untreated due to allergic to meds for this condition. So, greater energy and more awake so great. In addition, I have been battling severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastritis and severe upper gastric pain for 10 months. Most days I have been unable to eat other than breakfast. The evening of my first day of Deplin, greatly reduced my irritable bowel issues, and since then little to no pain. I had a ham and cheese sub yesterday. It is like a miracle. Good luck to those prescribed this medication."

JoRoberta September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't seem to have antidepressant effects. It's definitely helping me "think" better - I'm not confused anymore."

Stonecrab (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Long history of medication resistant recurrent major depression. Tried Deplin 15 mg daily for 6 months. No improvement at all seen with Deplin. Total waste of money for me."

Rich Dock (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible! I was on it 3 days while also on Viibryd and it caused me SEVERE anxiety. I was found to have a compound heterozygous gene mutation and the psychiatrist thought this should help. Wrong. I also found out through the gene test I cannot take SSRI's. Viibryd is a hydrid SSRI. The combination was bad news for me and I had to stop the AD cold turkey bc the blast of Deplin apparently caused me serotonin overload. Still struggling 4 weeks later. From what I've researched, l-methyl folate should be started at SMALL doses, like 400mg, NOT 15mg (Deplin).... Lord!"

Lskmjk (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Deplin 8 months ago. I thought it was helping but I didnt notice drastic effects. I stopped taking it for 2 weeks due to the cost and quickly realized it had been working.I started feeling lethargic and unmotivated. Since I have been taking it daily I am much more active, energetic, less moody, and I am happier. I think it is a subtle change but over time it is drastic."

Ajade2003 June 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered with depression since I was a child but of course I didn't know it then. Alcohol and drugs became my only salvation. Eventually I had to get sober. Still depressed. Had a relapse that lasted 4 years. Sobered up again. 18 years sober and still suffering that back cloud with anxiety on top. Tried Depli 3 months ago. I didn't expect good results since I've taken so many antidepressants over the years. I felt better the first day. I feel like normal people feel. I have hope, motivation, freedom. I am completely happy. I know this has not been everyone's experience, but it's mine, and for that; I'm eternally grateful. If your insurance doesn't cover it file an appeal. If you can pay cash it's only $178 for 3 months or pay monthly"

Jeanne Beanie June 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Deplin 15mg for about 3.5 months. I have the mutation and was hopeful that this would help. I noticed no change whatsoever in my anxiety or depression. I also started having severe joint pain and nothing had changed but adding Deplin. My doctor recommended that I stop the Deplin. I have been off for 3 days and continue to have joint pain. Would love to hear from others with a similar experience."

CK1210 May 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not worked for my depression. Zero effect."

mikoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm just starting deplin I need energy I been taking Wellburtion for two yrs now 100 mg 3 times daily I pray it work for my energy level."

joy2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered with depression as long as I can remember, high school and since. I'm 30 years old. I've tried everything to help my depression. Paxil lexpril prozac HTP5 WELBUTRIN and now celexa. Celexa did help more than the other antidepressants bUT still I was suffering from depression. I lost my baby girl doggie who was only 3 years old and was just like my child. My world fell apart and my depression became severe at the worst I ve ever experienced. I went to the doctor to talk about options as the severity of depression was overruling my life. Doc gave me 30 deplin 15 mg capsules samples. In 2 days I felt alive again. I am so grateful. Look up brand direct health and have you dr send your script to them. Much cheaper. 65 $ for 30cap"

MyleeJ14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within just days of my first dose, I could fell a huge, positive difference. My mind and speech were clearer, my anxiety was nearly unrecognizable, and I was just plain happy. I admit that the cost has been somewhat limiting at times. When I have chosen to delay filling a prescription for a week or two, not only can I feel the difference, but my coworkers, family and friends quickly point out the changes. It's an amazing supplement and worth every penny (when I have it to spare). Plan to stay on it from now on!"

RNGeorgia September 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was born with Spina Bifida L4-5 s1-2 along wt a myleomingeocole. My Birth issues were due to LowFolate. Through life I have struggled wt Depression always being told it was due to the Spina Bifida. I fought through a major depression my senior year in college. When I became employed following college and had insurance I sought counseling & medication taking imipramine. When Prozac became available I began it. After a decline in my health from a stoke at 33 My depression became worse requiring hospitalization. Five years ago I returned to my hometown & sought medical care from my high school friend. He tested me for L methyofolate deficiency. I was deficient he put me on Deplin 15mg wt Zoloft 100mg. I am finally emotionally healthy"

Terriwriter September 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Paxil/Paroxetine for approx.15 years. About 2 years ago, I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I had long been very sensitive to noise. I would get really upset (angry) by the sound of the doorbell, or even my young daughter's playfulness. My Dr. recommended Deplin as an additional "medicine". After a couple of weeks of taking Deplin,,my sensitivity improved greatly. I did not feel any different, nor have any side-effects. I stopped for a couple of weeks, thinking that it didn't really do anything, and I DID notice a big difference. Although it is expensive, I will continue to take my 15mg every day (along with my Paxil) It works!, My husband agrees! "

StaceyaS August 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Deplin 2 months ago in addition to the 300 mg. of Wellbutrin I had already been taking for several years. I was experiencing a very low level of chronic depression but generally okay. The doctor recommended I try Deplin to see whether it would increase my level of well-being. I could swear I feel a lot MORE depressed with the Deplin. Nothing has changed in terms of life style over the past few months, so I can't think of any other explanation. Needless to say, I'm going to stop taking it. I had no idea it might worsen my symptoms."

Haystackneedle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2015