User Reviews for L-methylfolate to treat Folic Acid Deficiency

Also known as: Deplin, Elfolate, L-Methylfolate Forte, Denovo, Duleek-DP XaQuil XR

L-methylfolate has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Folic Acid Deficiency. 79% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

L-methylfolate Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Folic Acid Deficiency.

Reviews for L-methylfolate

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2012

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I was tested for MTHFR genetic mutations after several years of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue type symptoms. BINGO! I have compound heterozygous mutations. Which can cause whole host of health issues, many I have been experiencing since youth. Once I started 7.5mg of Deplin with Methyl b12 my aches, brain fog, and unrelenting fatigue started to diminish..this is a life changer!”

DG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I have a genetic mutation called MTHFR and struggle with extreme fatigue, extreme brain fog, inflammation, etc. I am on deplin (l-methylfolate) 15mg dosage and it has helped me BOUNDS. I ran out recently after being on it for 8+ months and I could immediately tell a difference. Symptoms that had previously alleviated came back very quickly and prohibited me from being able to engage in my usual activities.”

GBina · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I recently had a Dr’s visit with my Dr who is treating me for ADD, anxiety, and depression. I told him about my daughter (19yrs old) recently being diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation. She has one from each parent. She has severe anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, depression and was recently suicidal. Her psychiatrist ordered lab work and explained to us what MTHFR is and prescribed Deplin, antidepressant, vitamin B-12 500 mcg, Vitamin D3 5,000 mg soft gels. She has completely changed! She feels much better. No more anxiety...no more panic attacks...no more depression...and she is smiling again!! My Dr prescribed Deplin for me too, but unfortunately my insurance company does not cover it (my ex husband’s insurance covers it for our daughter) and I can’t afford it out-of-pocket. I’m still working on finding a way to get it as I’m sure it will help me also. So blessed to have good doctors out there. I have so much respect for all their knowledge.”

Maidenofred · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I have suffered from depression for 20+ years. I stumbled across a gene mutation called MTHFR, and decided to do more research. Here is what is very important; if you have this gene mutation then, in some form, your body does not break down folate aka folic acid. Folic acid is imperative to seratonin levels, which effect your mood and sleeping patterns. IF your body cannot produce serotonin then taking a seratonin based mediation will never work. You are asking your body to produce more seratonin and it can't do it, it can't produce more because it isn't able to. For people who have this gene mutation which is 1:2 ratio having a supplement is important. Folic acid is broken down 8 times to reach the effective type and my body cannot break down the first 7, so Deplin essential for me”

jjojjo · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 9, 2014

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Has changed my life, both physical autoimmune, genetic, hormonal disorders have improved and mental health PTSD, ADHD, RBD-Dyslexia have improved. I wish I had known about my mutation in child bearing years as I lost five pregnancies. My only daughter was the one I had morning sickness with and didn't take prenatal multivitamins.”

MedStudent91 July 11, 2016

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “MTHFR with some bipolar, previous ADHD and OCD diagnoses. Started taking Deplin with B12 (methyl folate)- be sure to take both - and seeing great results. Mood improved greatly and performance overall. Couldn't imagine life without it!”

Meredith · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I also have Anxiety Disorder. 20 mg Prozac, .05 Klonopin. My Dr. kept telling me to take it, take it but I've always resist. Anyway I'm taking it. I can't tell you how good I feel although I didn't really know why. I didn't understand how laking something in my body could effect the drugs I take or just my overall health. I feel great for the first time in a long time. Don't hesitate.”

Maybelline · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I just started deplin today! I’ve been reading people’s comments and half say it’s helped them and half have not. I’ve also researched it and have read so many different articles. From my understanding you should start off at a low dose and if that doesn’t help then take more. If the dosage is to high or low and your not feeling better adjust it. I personally wouldn’t give up after trying it one time at one dose. This medicine has changed peoples lives into feeling like a normal happy person with energy. I personally hope it works for me and I feel better! I’m not giving up! Try to research it before giving up. I wish everyone good luck with deplin.”

pj · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2018

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I started taking klonopin after several years of depression, 2 bouts of major depression, and Tension myositis syndrome (TMS). It helped the TMS a great deal but after about a year symptoms of major depression and anxiety returned. The Psychiatrist wanted to prescribe more klonopin and when I declined that, she recommended Deplin. Deplin has helped. I now am able to wake up in the morning and speed of thought is almost normal. I still have mood instability but symptoms have decreased. I also have been able to significantly reduce use of klonopin and hope to be off it completely as Deplin therapy continues.”

Lucy October 24, 2019

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “I am 66 years old and have suffered from ADD, depression, brain fog, fatigue, extreme anxiety all my life. 30 years ago I was put on Dextroamphetamine 3-4 times a day, and it was a miracle. I came to life, both physically and especially mentally and I slept wonderful. Now that drug has little to no effect on me. My doctor, after doing a gen test on me, says I have a gene mutation and prescribed Deplin for me. At first I felt nothing, now 2 months later, I feel a difference. Not a huge difference.”

RAOBANION · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2017

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “After a suprise DNA test done by my Primary Care Doctor I recieved a call from the distribitor of this so called Vitamin and the caller tried to pressure me into auto shipments of prescription before I ever received my DNA results my Doctor. My Doctor had shared my DNA results with the makers of Deplin before sharing them with me. Deplin 15 caused extreme bloating and pain twice resulting in cracked ribs, sternum etc. I now suffer from shallow breathing and have a lump in my chest where my sternum bone broke with damage to my rib cage and struggle to breath deeply though my lungs are clear. My Ox levels have dropped my 5 % over the past year and I was fired by my Doctor that caused this when I refused to keep taking it. Kick backs?”

Murph · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

Deplin (l-methylfolate): “Hey gang, I took a gene test after nearly having no luck with any SSRIs and all the negative side effects. Once I started taking this, I was able to take 5mg Lexapro and .5mg of rexulti w/ no side effects, especially zero sexual side effects. I had Depressions, Anxiety, DP/DR and it nearly broke me last year. But this stuff I believe changed my life and allowed my body to react positively to the medications.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2021

“Life changing. After 3 years of trying different SSRI’s that didn’t work for my Depression or Severe Anxiety, I finally did a gene test and not only found 5 medications that were suitable for me, but they saw that I had the homozygous C667T MTHFR mutation, meaning my folic acid conversion was pretty much non existent. This made so, so much sense for a lot of things that happened to me, and I began taking 75mg of Pristiq (SNRI), and 15 mg of L-methylfolate supplements. After several months of these meds, therapy sessions, and even starting exercise again, I am a changed person. The hamster wheels in my head have finally slowed down, I’m not seeing darkness (figuratively) all the time anymore, and I haven’t had a panic attack in months. These results and these capsules have saved me.”

Junebug63 · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2018

“Took for 2-3 weeks due to my body not processing folic acid properly. Worst side effect was I constantly felt overheated. Others were upset stomach, gas, insomnia and increased anxiety. This drug may work for some, but for me it was not a good experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2017

“Terrible allergic and other reactions. Doctor did not check blood levels and I actually had no deficiencies or reason to be on this. I got very very sick from it. Do not take unless you have ALL proof you need it... including labs showing deficiencies of l meyhylfolate in your blood”

hollygumborama August 30, 2008

“Have not noticed any side effects and it has allowed me to go off Seroquel and lose 18 pounds.”

Learn more about Folic Acid Deficiency