User Reviews for Glipizide

Also known as: GlipiZIDE XL, Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL

Learn more about Glipizide.

Diabetes, Type 2 31 reviews 136 medications

6.6
Summary of Glipizide reviews 31 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Glipizide

For Diabetes, Type 2: "In general my glucose control was better but I was getting hypoglycemic during the day, especially after exercising, both manifested by shakiness, sweating, desperate need for snack, empty-headedness. Started bringing my glucose testing kit everywhere with me and found my glucose as low as 54 at the times I checked it. Sometimes I was too shakey to test; fortunately my gym had hard candy which I hate but had to take. I had been on 5 mg twice daily along with Metformin 1000 mg long acting in the evening. Turns out the geriatric dose can be 2.5 mg before breakfast. I may try that since my glucoses are 140-150 off of glipizide despite exercise and mostly plant-based diet whereas it had been 104-116 on it (but hypoglycemia intolerable"

Sue of SF April 24, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Within a few days of starting on a daily dose of 5mg I began having gas to the point that it was embarrassing and had trouble falling asleep every night. Gave up on Glipizide after a month and focused on eating better and getting more exercise instead."

Kermitthehermit (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Ever since I was taken off Metformin and was prescribed Glipizide ER my A1C has drastically gone up to 8 and I've gained weight and my abdomen is huge as if I am 9 months pregnant."

Ms Jess January 25, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Type 2 since 2008 and started on metformin with great results. Over the years the metformin has been progressively increased to the max dose to maintain my A1c at <7. Metformin has now lost its effect and my last A1c was 10.1. Doctor discontinued the metformin and started Januvia 100 mg and Glucotrol xl 2.5 mg, gradually increasing to 20 mg/day. Nothing! The new combo has had absolutely no effect on my blood glucose levels. My FBS are >170 every morning and 2 hr PP around 240! My next drug is the non-insulin injectable, Victoza. I so wish it could be different."

Becca9800 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Severe stomach pain, nausea, headache after I stopped taking this for a couple of weeks, my symptoms went away. Started taking it again. All the above came back.."

Jepnia January 5, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've had Type II diabetes. My doctor recently put me on Watson 461 Glipizide ER. Glucose levels came back under control. After this the pharmacy switched me to a "normal" release form. I experienced terribly shoulder aches which woke me up in the middle of the night. I thought these were due to a visit to the gym, but I have been doing exercise for the past 3 years without pain this bad. It took me a while to realize this is what happened when a previous doctor also put me on Glipizide, which resulted in the same excruciating shoulder pain. I've stopped using the medication, and the pain has decreased significantly (I am not woken at night with the excruciating pain any more, pain is still there in the background). Blurry vision too."

50-60 year old male (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2015

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Dropped sugar way to much"

Anonymous September 22, 2015

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking Glipizide ER initially with instructions to take it only if my blood glucose level was 180 or higher. I did not have to take it every day, but took it several times a week. Then I was started having a hard time controlling my daily glucose levels. My Hg A1c was higher, so the instructions were changed to 2 in the a.m. and 1 at night. I purchased the medication from a different source and it was a larger pill with now Glipazide XL instead of ER. I have experienced a number of side effects and feel worse with it than before I started taking it. The longer I have taken it the worse I feel. I feel drugged, want to sleep all the time, have a slight headache, more thirsty, constipation on occasion, dry eyes, and more. Yuck!"

SDee7 September 8, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I take a glipizide /metformin combo and have no stomach problems on it. It does quickly lower blood sugar sometimes to hyperglycemia numbers. I was on Glumetza a metformin hcl , coated tablet, non generic, very expensive almost $170.00 per month which had no gastric side effects because it is made by a company that specializes in gastro medication."

RDWP May 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Type 2. Active mom, 47, work, dance, sing, travel. 1000mg metformin twice a day, readings with Tradjenta between 140-230. Another doctor recommended yesterday to try Glipizide for 30 days, this morning a surprising 104. Feeling well."

D2Club April 5, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been a Type 2 diabetic since 2007. I take Glipizide which is very effective at keeping my blood sugar levels down. But everyday it gives me an upset stomach and diarrhea which has me miserable. Just yesterday I had to stop what I was doing and rush home to the toilet. Horrible! Just imagine having terrible stomach pains and diarrhea everyday! It wasn%u2019t until recently that I realized this was a side effect of the Glipizide. I thought it was from foods containing Gluten that I have been eating. I had tried Metformin and that is just as bad. I%u2019m in the process of asking my doctor if there is something else I can take that won%u2019t upset my stomach so much. Right now I%u2019m in between jobs but need to get back to work! It%u2019s hard to"

DayStar 5000 January 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was originally on Metformin 500mg. It got to a point where my A1C was going up so my dr put me on 1000mg (1x in the morning and 1x with dinner). My stomach couldn't handle it. My blood sugar levels were up and down. So I asked my dr if I could try something else. She put me on 2.5mg Glipizide ER and I feel so much better on it! I don't have the stomach issues and my blood sugar levels are lower and more stable. I'm glad I switched to Glipizide! I won't know my A1C until December but I expect it to be much better."

CSmith99 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: "After having a severe reaction to Metformin, the doctor put me on Glipizide. While I don't faint on this medication, the side effects have been horrible for me. My sugar does seem to be better after being high for so long, it's finally below 160 most of the time. However, I am severely dizzy and foggy-headed constantly, to the point I stopped driving. Also have bad lower back ache, nausea, stomach upset any time I eat, blurry vision (I have perfect vision so this bothers me), and I've noticed some changes in my emotional response to things as well, such as anger and a bit of depression - which I've never had. The effects have been bad enough that I've had to take off work several days in a row as well as miss school."

GamerMom (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I had severe headaches, muscle aches, anxiety. I felt flushed, skin excessively warm. Dizziness my eyeballs hurt. Nausea, vomiting, motion sickness yes motion sickness."

pagibson2014 August 10, 2014

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on Metformin and had trouble with the Diarrhea side effects. Dr put me on Glipizide Er 10mgs. Works great and no side effects. Added Januvia to my therapy. 6.4 A1c."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2013

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was put on Glipizide ER after having bad side effects from Metformin ER. Had the diarrhea with it. Have had no problems with Glipizide."

helenhays03 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2013

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have used Glipizide XL for about 6 years now as a secondary medicine. Glipizide helps to keep my blood sugar numbers within range and keeps me from having to use insulin as much as I would without it, which is a good thing. I haven't had any side effects from the glipizide at all. I'm very happy with this medication."

Loni Q (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2013

Glucotrol (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was taking it for 7 days had uncontrollable itching, it controlled my sugar really well but the itching was awful."

Anonymous July 9, 2012

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Blood sugar was stuck at 150 to 160 with no change for a while. A1C edging up to critical level. Within five days was within 110 and seven days under 100. Side effects were no worse than Metformin alone."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Since starting to take a low dose of glipizide, my distance vision has improved to where I don't need my glasses at all."

dano9999 December 27, 2011

GlipiZIDE XL (glipizide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have taken Glipizide and Glipizide XL in conjunction with metformin for a number of years with no side effects. Anyone taking Glipizide (not XL) should be aware that blood sugar levels can plummet quickly and that dosage timing may need to be readjusted. With Glipizide XL, I have not experienced these fluctuations; however, the positive control appears to take effect much slower as this is a time-released form."

mozayic November 3, 2011

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Since going in the hospital with 790 count and staying 5 days. Since june 24th my count is 94--120 and its excellent."

Anonymous August 11, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I'm male, 52, and have been a diabetic for 11years. For eight of those years I was prescribed glipizide, and it worked very well for me in keeping my glucose levels under control. The only adverse side effect that I experienced was sensitivity to the sun and to my computer screen. Sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 protection solved that problem. A new PCP tried to switch me to metformin, but I was intolerant to that medicine (bloating and diarrhea)."

bigboots April 16, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I've found this to be the best diabetes medicine I've used. In the extended release version it provides consistent and significant reduction of blood sugar readings. My A1C dropped two full points with this medicine alone."

Kelly Vickers July 21, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on metformin for 6 years started at 500 mg per day. Now at 1,000 mg twice per day. Was holding glucose level at 135 with a A1C of 6.4 but my A1C keeps going up more at 7.2 now. Doctor said to now take glipizide 2.5 mg in addition to 2,000mg of metformin to bring A1C down. Have now been on both medicines for about two weeks. I had a very bad drop in glucose to 73 first day in a four hour span after eating. I drank juice to bring up glucose level. Next day it was worse glucose dropped to 51. Had very bad side effects, ate some jelly and 4 oz juice. Next day I decided to not take metformin with breakfast only 2.5 mg glipizide. Sugar held good for 6 hours but then dropped to 69. Ate supper early - this worked."

sfma October 18, 2009

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate