User Reviews for Tri-Lo-Sprintec

Learn more about Tri-Lo-Sprintec.

Tri-Lo-Sprintec Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Tri-Lo-Sprintec to treat Birth Control

"I used to take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo prior and stopped for about 4-5 years until getting back on birth control about 4 months ago. My gynecologist recommended this particular brand and so I thought I would give it a try. It reminds me of my previous birth control. I had no negative side effects whatsoever (but every woman's body is different.) I'm thin framed (5'9") but gain weight in my breasts and butt. My weight never fluctuates past 120. Prior to the birth control I tried gaining weight but could never gain more than 108lbs due to diet change (vegan). Thankfully enough this birth control helped me gain about 7lbs. After the 2nd month of taking the birth control I went from a full B cup to a full C. No complaints here. They're perkier too."

Demi1991 June 16, 2016

"WORST BIRTH CONTROL EVER! i had been on ortho tri cyclen lo for over a year or 2 and my insurance had just chose the tri lo sprintec for the generic brand. the pharmacist told me it was the EXACT SAME THING. no it wasnt. i felt fine my first pack and the right into my second pack i started to get anxiety attacks out of nowhere. i would just be sitting on my couch and my heart would start racing and it felt like i couldnt breath. i was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis 3 years ago and it completely made that flare up. on top of all that i was upset all of the time for no reason. i would not recommend this birth control to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

"Using for acne and hormonal reasons, works well for skin clearing and regular periods. Does induce some spotting prior to menstrual cycle but others works great with no other side effects."

GRT7651 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2016

"This is terrible, honestly. I was on ortho tri cyclen but then my pharmacy told me I ran out of refills. Ever since I was put on this I have gained 10 lbs in 3 months (which I haven't gained/loss more than 3 lbs in over 5 years). My moodiness has caused me to start fights with my boyfriend like crazy and I feel awful almost 24/7 even though I'm on Prozac as well. The only thing that works is the actual birth control part."

Potentiallyjess May 20, 2016

"I had absolutely no problems with this birth control. No nausea, spotting, mood changes, whatsoever. It reduced my menstrual cramps. Also made my boobs swell, but I think that's a good thing haha. Anyways, I switched to Trinessa (another generic for Ortho Tri Cyclen), because it's free with my insurance, and it gave me migraine with aura as well as mood changes. I really wish I stuck to Tri Lo Sprintec."

Jobela May 12, 2016

"My insurance switched me to Tri Lo Sprintec about a month and a half ago w/out me knowing. I decided to give it a shot since it was free and I was paying $100/month for Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo previously. On OTCL for 2 years, I had no negative side effects, which was a relief after trying everything under the sun (most recently microgestin fe, which made me incredibly depressed). The 1.5 months, since I have been on TLS, ALL of these negative side effects: Irritability, depression, weight gain, depression, headaches, lethargy...you name it, I have it. I am SO upset that I finally found something that worked and insurance dictates what pill I should take. I'm speaking with my Dr to fix my Rx ASAP. Not staying on TLS no matter what."

Duped & Cranky (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

"I switched from orthopedic tri cyclen lo because my insurance started charging me almost $300 for 3 months. I didn't want to pay this so i was put on tri lo sprintec since it was covered. I started getting the worst anxiety I have ever had at the bed of the first week. I am on my second pack and hasn't gotten better. I am finishing out this pack and switching. This has been by far the worst birth control for me."

BC ortho May 11, 2016

"Terrible! I've been constantly irritable since switching to this from ortho tri cyclen. I've also experienced low sex drive, intense food cravings, and vaginal irritation. My pharmacy told me this would be the same as ortho tri cyclen buts it's definitely not. I thought I was losing my mind until I started researching this drug and saw how many women were having the same problems. I went to the pharmacy today and they switched back to the ortho tri cyclen. It's so expensive but definitely worth it if it makes these mood swings go away."

May2016 May 8, 2016

"I wish I could give this medication a ZERO. I had been on Ortho Tri-cyclin Lo for 8 years with no side effects. My insurance switched me to Sprintec and I only took it for a week when my entire face broke out which never happens to me, I had horrible head aches and developed an ulcer which I'm not sure is related."

Veryunhappycaligirl May 7, 2016

"After being on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo for over a year my pharmacy switched me to Tri Lo Sprintec and as with others I was "assured" this was the same exact drug that I had been taking. Well after the first pack my face has been breaking out throughout the month, my 2nd month my period was MUCH more painful (one of the reasons I went on BC to begin with) and I bled for almost a full week instead of my normal 4-5 days. By the 3rd month I noticed my anxiety and abdominal cramping at all times of my cycle flaring up. Mood swings galore and a period that lasted more than 7 days. :( Spoke with my PCP and she agreed to switch back to brand name only and I am hopeful that it will all resolve and that other ladies see these reviews too!"

MCSa1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

"I've been on tri lo sprinter for four months. I switched over from Ortho tri cyclen, which I loved. My first period on tri lo sprinter was horrendous. I was extremely depressed, and hopeless, which I did not experience on my previous birth control. Since then my mood around the time of my period has settled, but I get debilitating migraines consistently every month the first day of my period. It has the same active ingredients as the name brand, but it feels quite different to me, maybe that has to do with the inactive ingredients."

KateAlli3 April 27, 2016

"2 months ago my insurance informed me they no longer cover Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (that had no side effects) and would basically have to switch to the generic form, Tri-lo sprintec. Being assured that it was the same thing and that keeping ortho would cost about 150, I went ahead and took the generic. I could only make it through 1 and a half packs before I couldn't take the side effects anymore. I was gaining a lot of weight for no reason, constantly bloated, breaking out, fatigued, suddenly depressed for no reason, spotting and even my period just starting for no reason! I finally finished my second pack today but my period started a week ago. Told the pharmacy to switch me back, worst BC, not the same as ortho lo."

So many side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

"I've been using Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for the last two years. I absolutely love the pill; it got rid of my acne and I never experienced negative side effects. That being said, I can't say the same for Tri Lo Sprintec. Recently, my insurance only covers Sprintec. My doc switched me and assured me it's the same exact pill. I've been using it for a week. I'm beginning to break out on my face, which I could live with. What I can't live with is the relentless and extremely painful abdominal cramps and bloating I'm experiencing. These are the worst cramps I've had in my entire life. After doing research, I've found many women share a similar experience with myself. Also, Ortho and Sprintec aren't exactly the same. So, beware of switching to it."

Prior Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo User (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 6 years with no issues. My pharmacy gave me this generic and I was not thrilled but decided to try it since it was covered by my plan. I started spotting as soon as I started the new pack and kept going through the month. I'm at the end of week three and have been using tampons because I was having enough breakthrough bleeding to require it. It's Friday, I'm supposed to start placebo pills Sunday and would usually start my period the following Tuesday. I've had breakthrough bleeding plus more for the whole month. This sucks!"

Frustrated and bleeding April 1, 2016

"I am almost done w/ my 1st pack, which is a new formulation that came out late last year. I did take FE microgestin 1/20 a few years ago & stopped because that made me lose my libido, gain weight, and just feel dead inside. I decided to give it a shot again & was given this as a generic alternative I like this better than microgestin, but I have been feeling extremely tired and unmotivated, experienced minor spotting during the 3rd week of hormone pills, and my vision becomes blurry from time to time. Not sure if the blurry vision is normal, but I hope that these symptoms subside after my body gets more used to it. Will leave another review in a few months."

Socalgirl923 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

"Okay, I have ONLY ever taken Ortho Tri Cyclin lo birth control on and off (I stopped for four years and had two children) for 10+ years. Imagine my shock and hesitation when I receive this new generic that my insurance covers! I read all these horrible reviews online and even saw where they were off the market pending the settlement of a lawsuit! It was either the free Tri lo sprintec or the $140 brand name! Well, after 5 months on the generic Tri Lo Sprintec I am pleased to report that I have had NO side effects at all! In fact, I use to break out before every cycle on the brand name and after a few months on Tri Lo Sprintec I have a clear complexion all the time! Also, the negative reviews are from before the lawsuit & redistribution 2016"

A little unsure (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

"I'm curious if the formula that was on the market a few years ago (which I never took) but seemingly had poor reviews from many, is different than the one that just became available this year. I've only been taking it a month, but it's been great thus far. No poor side effects and my period seems to be way lighter than I can ever remember. I was almost frightened by the negative reviews when my pharmacy made me switch. But don't worry! True, everyone's different- but it wasn't a problem for me."

keamc February 29, 2016

"I'm not sure how there are so many reviews for this Tri-Lo-Sprintec. It just went on the market 12/31/2015. My insurance forced me to switch to it from Ortho-Tri-Lo. I have not been on it long enough to write a review yet."

KelS in use already lol February 16, 2016

"After reading all of the negative comments for this pill, I was hesitant to start it. I have had an awesome experience though. I have taken gianvi, ocella, and ortho lo before and they all made me either extremely mood or constantly hungry, but this pill has actually made me less hungry, has helped with the small amount of acne I have and it has done it's job well as far as preventing pregnancy goes. I am satisfied with this pill."

Lauren1923 January 30, 2016

"I have been taking this pill for three years now, my doctor switched me over to it from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo due to the cost. At first I really enjoyed this pill, no significant changes at all, no weight gain, no moodiness, no appetite change. Everything was fine. The last year and a half, I have noticed a difference and I hate this pill now. It has decreased my sex drive to absolutely zero. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 in a half years and I have no desire to do anything with him. It has made me miserable and extremely emotional all of the time. I feel depressed and get angry very easily. The only upside to this pill is that my period lasts for two days and then it's over. I will be switching immediately it's ruining my relationship"

Jamiieson December 4, 2014

"I don't have anything to complain about besides a big decrease in appetite, which is good and bad. It helps me eat healthier and eat the right portions but I almost feel like I have to force myself to eat now and I Love food. So I've ended up shedding a few pounds which I'm already tiny enough. But besides only a little spotting and my first period was shortened and minor cramping, its working out fine for me! I was on Lo estrin prior and that made me feel a little moody and emotional and brought down my sex drive as well."

CassieCatt (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2013

"When I was 18 the first time I saw a gyno she prescribed me Tri Lo Sprintec. She gave me a packet of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo which I think the pharmacist said it was basically the same thing. For both I had no problem. To start off, I never really had bad cramps or anything major and I definitely didn't feel anything after starting birth control. After the price for Tri Lo-Sprintec went up I got off of it. I am about to go on Tri sprintec which my doctor said it's just a little higher dosage so that's probably where all those other symptoms come from (nausea, mood swings, acne, weight gain). As for everyone else who has been experiencing these symptoms, they are also very common when you PMS, except for the nausea but mainly I think it's psychological."

Anonymous March 14, 2011

"Other than some vaginal dryness, which I am prone to anyway, I didn't have any side effects with Tri-Lo-Sprintec, and I'm super disappointed that you can't get it anymore. I took it for 10 months without any trouble."

Anonymous December 29, 2010

"As far as effectiveness, I did not get pregnant while taking this medication. However, I experienced so many side effects I eventually stopped taking it and switched back to Ortho-tri-lo. I experienced problems with mood swings, irritability, anxiety (racing heart and anxious feelings for no reasons), depression, cramps, spotting, headaches, decreased sex drive, weight gain, breast/nipple tenderness and vaginal irritation. All of these are side effects I had never experienced with Ortho, so I switched back and have little to no side effects. It definitely was not worth the money saved because it made me feel like a crazy person and I really did not have control over my emotions, I would experience all extremes especially anger and crying."

Anonymous January 14, 2010

"I have been using Tri-Sprintec Lo for about 2 weeks after switching from the Nuvaring. I have had many symptoms from it. I have been breaking out with acne on my chest and a few on my face. Which I never had a problem with any acne before. I have had breast tenderness, and occasional cramps, few headaches. I have also noticed that my hair has been shedding a lot more than usual and noticed that is a bad side effect. I rather have these symptoms than the ones I have had with the Nuvaring. I was having something similar to hot flashes. I am going to call my doctor today and ask about it. I am going to try this one for about 2 months like I did the Nuvaring and if it doesn't change then I will try something else."

Victoria from Ga November 30, 2009