User Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe

Learn more about Loestrin 24 Fe.

Loestrin 24 Fe Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 251 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe to treat Birth Control

"Cannot wait to get off this pill...horrible mood swings! Extremely irritable, crying at everything, beginning to dislike my husband (not good!), feel like I am coming out of my skin some days, I cannot stand myself and I'm pretty sure my family is starting to feel the same. Took me a couple of months to figure out it was the pill causing it, since this all started after I started taking it 4 months ago. I started with it to help with very heavy periods, it is helping with that although I did have a 2 week period last month which is never enjoyable. Pretty sure this pill is causing me to have this PMDD which I have never experienced before. It's horrible. Switching to something else so hopefully it will get better!"

KEC, age 49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Microgestin for 4 years and switched to test out if the other BC was giving me weight gain. Never got around to the experiment because Loestrin was a nightmare. I had spotting every day since day 5 of the pack. Then cystic acne started popping up and I couldn't control it with anything! With the other BC, I was able to control it, and it at least went away like a normal pimple, but this acne is painful and HUGE. Combined with the constant spotting and losing all my good thongs to the BC being sassy , I decided to switch back. Based on other reviews, seems like these side effects aren't going anywhere."

I'm a Dog (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So this is my second time on this birth control. When I took it correctly I wouldn't have many periods and never super painful. I'm terribly sensitive to most birth controls. My migraines were so bad they thought I had a tumor. But it was too much estrogen in the birth control. The first time went well but I was taken off of it due migraines again with auras. But later I figured out it was biotin instead. So far I'm 4 months on this and my skin hasn't looked healthier in the past 6 months. My periods are more like two days of light cramping and then brown sludge for 3 to 4 days. I'll gladly take that over other periods for sure. For me this works because it's such a low dose."

Leighlow (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Loestrin 24 Fe a few years back by my GYN. I only took it for about a month then stopped due to side effects such has dizziness and chest pain."

Lucy H July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on birth control for 8 years. Doctor switched me from Kariva to Lo Loestrin FE due to migraines with aura and extremely heavy periods/debilitating cramps. I am on week two of my second pack of lo loestrin. First month, fine and dandy although I did not get a period, and I fully expected one. I am now two weeks in on my second pack and have full bore started my period unexpectedly (always makes a girl happy.) horrible cramps/back cramps/exhaustion. Lots of clots. Not sure what to do. Irritated that this happened especially when my doctor did this to help ease my periods now I'm having it irregularly and not any better. Getting married in 4 months and his NEEDS to get under control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this BC for about 6 months. This was the second one I tried since the first one made me sick every single morning. This brand though was much worse- about 3 months into it I realized new small bruises all over my legs. Every day there would be more. Then I started coughing up blood. When that happened I went straight to the doctor and told them all that was going on, they ran blood tests and everything. I called my mom crying because I was certain I had cancer. My mom was crying, my dad was crying, my boyfriend was crying. We all were expecting it to be bad. I felt dizzy all the time and like I would pass out, I just felt miserable. Well the blood test came back clear- turns out it was the BC. Never again. Don't take it!"

Scary12 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since being diagnosed with Epilepsy I was put on pills to prevent seizures which did not help until I was also put on Loestrin 24 Fe. So far no seizures. I believe its related to a hormonal imbalance and the Birth Control definitely helps. I have not had any bad symptoms at all. No nausea, no mood swings. I have tried every single Birth Control I could think of and this is the only one I like by far. I plan to stay on it for another 6-12 months and try for baby #3."

Blessed Libra (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on loestrin for about 3 years before switching to its generic equivalent, mylan. After about 5 years of being on this brand I started getting really bad symptoms (nausea, cold sweats, dropped body temp, migraine) so I decided to quit birth control all together (was on it about 10 years). Within 2 months I gained 10 pounds, particularly in the midsection. At first I didn't connect the dots and started a straight vegetarian meal prep diet and worked out 4-6 times a week. My weight steadily kept going up until I gained about 30 lbs in 6 months, again mostly in my belly. I read up that this is a common side effect of quitting birth control, particurly with the loestrin/mylan 24 fe brand. It's been over a year and still no end in sight"

Anniebear (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a terrible experience with this bc. Once I started taking it, I was very nauseous daily for a week. Once I got my period, it was so painful and so heavy, I couldn't even do anything. I would also get a full blown period twice in one month. My period was never like that before. I stayed on it for 3 months or so trying to let my body get used to it but it was not working out. I started taking this birth control to shrink ovarian cysts. I had two small ones that did go away but I had another bigger one pop up. But Everybody is different. I just felt like sharing my experience. I am now taking minastrin 24 fe. So we will see how this works for me...."

Tories (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wanted shorter periods and had breast pain on my old pill, so I asked for a low dose bc. I'm on month 4 of this pill and want to be off it desperately. Pack 1, I got a 1 day period and got excited. Pack 2, in the second week I spotted a lot, then got a 2 day period on schedule. Pack 3, I spotted for 2 weeks and then had heavier spotting for a period. I'm almost through the first week of pack 4 and still bleeding, although it is way lighter than my previous periods on a different pill. I can't deal with this bleeding. My dr said give it 4 months and here we are. I am asking to be put on my old bc asap, I'll put up with the sore boobs!."

reenabeena December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on loestrin for about 5 years until I decided to take a break and get off the pill. Although my skin was clear and it was effective at basically eliminating my period and most cramping, DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. It gave me horrible mood swings, anxiety and made me irrational, unreasonable and angry (basically insane) - which I didn't realize until I stopped taking it. I honestly thought I was just me until I got off and felt much more like myself. I've been happy and upbeat ever since."

Anonymous December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had many problems in the past with keeping my hormone levels normal. After switching to this pill, my levels have evened out. However, I have noticed that when I do have my cycle (which is rare) I become extremely nauseated and feel absolutely sick. Everyone reacts differently but if you're going to try this pill, just know if you're like me there's a possibility of a lot of debilitating nausea and chances of fever."

Sassyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first two weeks I did have heavy spotting and slight nausea, which went away before the first month was over. It cleared my face from acne, I didn't have much to begin with. And I gained no weight at all and no bloating. I honestly love this birth control I asked my doctor for a low hormone pill and this is what he subscribed. I'm very happy with it, I will not be switching any time soon. I plan on keeping it for sure!"

Bella nova (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using the pill for two and a half weeks now and absolutely love it. I had previously used Sprintec, a generic over the counter pill that was free, and prior to Obamacare was 9 dollars a month with my insurance. I changed pills after my insurance refused to allow me to take yaz and the next best option was this. My skin is more clear, my attitude is happier, my sex drive is through the roof, and I think depending on your natural level of hormones, this pill can do great things for you. I don't approve of the cost, but thankfully my doctor said he will supply me with free monthly trial packets until my insurance agrees to cover yaz."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this pill for 9 years and have always loved it. I basically never have a period and have never been pregnant or had a pregnancy scare. HOWEVER, I got my first yeast infection after about 4 months on this pill. My doctor at the time told me this was normal in women. I have been getting yeast infections 3-5 times a year since starting this pill. My new doctor has informed me that this many yeast infections is, in fact, NOT normal. I have just switched my birth control."

hanbanan November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 25 years old. Just started taking loestrin 24fe. Took it a week before my peroid. It's been two weeks since then. No period yet. Haven't done the deed yet so I dont know how effective it is. Started taking it due to being married soon (next week in fact). The problem Is I'm having shortness of breath and pain in my knee (thought it was pain due to walking home from work everyday, now not so sure. Could be a possible blood clot. My calf is hurting as well. I'm going to continue to take my pills but have compression socks on from now on to limit the clots if I have any. I'm healthy (except I have synthyroid) only 25, so I shouldn't be having problems like this right? I'm keeping my legs over my heart as instructed to lessen the pain."

Pickle juice (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was put on this pill after I came off microgynon after 5 years as it made me insane. I've been on loestrin for 3 months and will be changing as soon as I can. I have been having the most severe nightmares on this pill and I am woken up every night in a tizz. Also my boobs have grown a cup size which is good, but I have also gained weight and can't seem to shift it. Feel constantly fat. Also all my life I have had essentially perfect skin but since being on this pill my skin is constantly greasy which has resulted into spots. On the plus side, mood is generally good and no pregnancys but the nightmares are too big of a deal to carry on"

Holly199328 September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this pill when I got into my first serious relationship. I've tried other birth control pills before and had to go off of them because of weight gain. When I finally got back on the pills, I thought it was great because my periods were always regular, I had no weight gain, and my skin was flawless. But, after being on it for 6 months now I'm realizing that this pill is the reason for my poor mental health. I went from being happy and satisfied with my life, to being an actual crazy person. I started lashing out at the people I loved as the months progressed. I would have the worst mood swings of my life. I would be happy and laughing, and the next minute I was in tears. It turned me into an angry person that I didn't know."

Nothappyandalsoscared September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill is horrible. I've tried my fair share of different birth control pills, this being my 4th, and it is by far one of the worst. Since I've started it, it makes me hungry at all times- I NEVER feel full, ever! I can eat and eat and eat and not feel a thing. The increase in appetite and the want to binge has made me gain about 15 pounds since starting this pill about 5 months ago. The main reason I'm on birth control is to lighten my very heavy periods, which it does, but the side effect of increased appetite which causes weight gain makes it not worth it. Will definitely be switching to a different pill asap."

ashtk9 September 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this birth control for roughly 2 years and after hoping it would get better, I decided to try a new pill. It made me very irritated out of nowhere sometimes, would make me very emotional around my MS and made me have absolutely NO sex drive. When I did have sex, it was extremely painful and unpleasant(it was not like this at all before). I also started having face/back acne right after starting the pill. The only reason I give it a 3/10 is because of 2 years of use, it prevented pregnancy and I had very light periods."

Eh.. (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience is similar to one above mine. I have only been on it a couple of weeks. My breasts have grown alot. I started taking the pill on the first day of my period like the pack said to do. It stopped my period, I know it's early but so far I'm happy with it. Hope this helps someone ."

KatM48223 September 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this for years, after experimenting with ones that made me: fat; bloated; emotional; nuts. I love it, no acne, no weight gain, no period... I'll take it!"

Piper terra August 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I gave this pill 4 months and my face has been progressively getting worse with each pack. I'm also on 75mg of Spironolactone and I feel like that helps some, but not enough. I went on this to help with my chronic headaches and menstrual migraines, but it didn't help either. In fact, my cramps and migraines were horrible. I felt so sick every time I would bleed. I'm getting headaches every day still and I break out constantly. I'm also super depressed and feel down all the time. That just started with the 4th pack. The pros are I didn't gain any weight. My breasts grew a cup size and I didn't get pregnant."

batsy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't used this for very long, probably less than a week, and I know your body's suppose to get use to it however after reading these experiences I don't think my symptoms are gonna change. I'm not sure how effective the pill is for sex because I used it to calm down my periods however ever since I've started using it I get pains in my lower stomach. they feel like period pains and the pill has put my whole mood down. I do get acne kinda normally however i broke out so much on my forehead and I'm almost positive it's from this pill. it's Thursday and I started it Sunday and I've gained probably 5-6 pounds already. it literally makes me hungry 24/7 which is a nono. i'm either stopping all together or switching to a new pill."

jennaaD July 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this pill for two years and everything was awesome! My acne did worsen significantly but my dermatologist fixed me right up. Nauseous the first month on the pill. I used to have extremely heavy periods and this pill made my period completely vanish! If there ever was a period it was only there when I wiped so it was very light. Unfortunately, I recently had to switch pills, for some reason it made me bleed for two months straight. Most important there were no pregnancies!"

Jm7418 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016