User Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe

Loestrin 24 Fe Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Loestrin 24 Fe to treat Birth Control

"This was my first birth control pill and I have been on it for about two months. I have been very moody/sensitive and cry about everything!!! I mean I could cry until my eyes hurt. I had no idea that it was from this pill until I decided to stop taking them because they were causing horrible cystic acne on my face. I stopped a few days ago and my mood is a lot better already. Take this pill at your own risk because I don’t recommend it."

Sunshine227 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

"I took this for 3 months to eleviate/dissolve cysts. In the process, I also lost 35 pounds. I was 160 and dropped to 125. My heart rate increased a little, my stomach was a little irritated after meals, but overall I felt fine. I only took it for that time frame and for that purpose."

Jenn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

"Horrible! Been on it only a month. I have Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and this was supposed to help give me lighter periods or none at all. I went totally crazy, worst PMDD episode in 15 years. I was crying and arguing with my fiance for hours. Last time I had an episode years ago I was on yaz. I'd rather get labor pain period cramps than deal with the crazy episode. I actually though my fiance was gonna kill me after a nightmare I had. I will never take birth control pills again. Normally I'm not crazy, seriously."

Dixie March 24, 2018

"So I was originally on Tri Nessa Lo for about 6 months, skin was clear but my PMS was horrible. I have horrible mood swings and was very unstable. I also got my period for 7-10 days. I decided to switch to Lo Loestrin Fe. My first couple months were horrible as I had bad cystic acne all over my chin and jaw. My gyno said that it was my body adjusting to the new pill. I’m at 6 months now and my skin is worse than ever before. My forehead is covered in bumps and my T-Zone is so oily now and I have pimples all over such as chest and back. (Before I was even on birth control I hardly got acne, only when I was getting my period). Anyways, on a positive note I got my period for about 2 days a month and my PMS was better. I am looking for a new birth control method or I may just quit altogether."

annabanana11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2018

"I had nothing but wonderful experiences with loestrin. No breaking out, weight gain, loss of sex drive, or mood swings. I did get pregnant on this birth control after about 7 or 8 months.... however I did miss two days of it due to running out and my pharmacy being closed over the weekend. So be very careful to not miss a single day and you should be perfectly fine. It definitely helped with my endometriosis pains. I stopped taking it for a few months and had to miss work each month because the pains were so awful. I got back on to it ASAP and do not experience those anymore. 10/10 recommend this birth control."

ShainaL. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2018

"I’ve been on this pill for about 4 years. I can honestly say I haven’t noticed any majors problems like I’m reading from other women. I have been on birth control since I was 16 so it’s hard to say what’s normal and what’s abnormal for me. I don’t have acne problems. Occasionally annoying pimples. My periods are nonexistent at this point. I don’t bleed AT ALL. Which kind of bothers me because it’s not to get the “you’re not pregnant” notification from your period bleeding. I don’t get bloated. Mood swings ? Eh, nothing out of the ordinary. I have my moments just like anyone else. I’m about to switch to the copper IUD because I feel like I’ve been on hormones for too long and fear the long term consequences. Very nervous to switch considering I’ve had zero problems."

Kirstie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2018

"This is the first contraceptive pill I have ever tried and was recommended to me by my gyn. I've only been taking this pill for a month, and in comparison to other users, I haven't had any weight gain or loss. I did have one cystic pimple on my cheek but it went away after a couple of days. I have moved up a breast size and I'll have to get new bras which is kind of irritating but my periods are much less painful. As for the duration of my cycle there have been no changes. I do experience slight irregular mood swings as well, but nothing horrible. My one complaint with this drug is the extremely high price."

yesono December 9, 2017

"I've been taking this pill for five months. I wanted a contraceptive pill which would control my acne and which would have a lower dosage of hormones as well (I was taking Yaz before). I happen to be very sensitive to hormones. With this pill though, I got cystic acne on my forehead, on my temples, on my cheeks, on my chin and on my neck. I have an acne-prone skin but I have never had such bad acne than since I started this pill ! Also, my mood swings are a rollercoaster and I can feel sad and cry for no reason in the middle of the day and feel happy again right after that. I am done with this pill and am going to find another birth control solution."

crazyhormones3 September 28, 2017

"Cannot wait to get off this pill...horrible mood swings! Extremely irritable, crying at everything, beginning to dislike my husband (not good!), feel like I am coming out of my skin some days, I cannot stand myself and I'm pretty sure my family is starting to feel the same. Took me a couple of months to figure out it was the pill causing it, since this all started after I started taking it 4 months ago. I started with it to help with very heavy periods, it is helping with that although I did have a 2 week period last month which is never enjoyable. Pretty sure this pill is causing me to have this PMDD which I have never experienced before. It's horrible. Switching to something else so hopefully it will get better!"

KEC, age 49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

"I was taking Microgestin for 4 years and switched to test out if the other BC was giving me weight gain. Never got around to the experiment because Loestrin was a nightmare. I had spotting every day since day 5 of the pack. Then cystic acne started popping up and I couldn't control it with anything! With the other BC, I was able to control it, and it at least went away like a normal pimple, but this acne is painful and HUGE. Combined with the constant spotting and losing all my good thongs to the BC being sassy , I decided to switch back. Based on other reviews, seems like these side effects aren't going anywhere."

I'm a Dog (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

"So this is my second time on this birth control. When I took it correctly I wouldn't have many periods and never super painful. I'm terribly sensitive to most birth controls. My migraines were so bad they thought I had a tumor. But it was too much estrogen in the birth control. The first time went well but I was taken off of it due migraines again with auras. But later I figured out it was biotin instead. So far I'm 4 months on this and my skin hasn't looked healthier in the past 6 months. My periods are more like two days of light cramping and then brown sludge for 3 to 4 days. I'll gladly take that over other periods for sure. For me this works because it's such a low dose."

Leighlow (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

"I was prescribed Loestrin 24 Fe a few years back by my GYN. I only took it for about a month then stopped due to side effects such has dizziness and chest pain."

Lucy H July 18, 2017

"I have been on birth control for 8 years. Doctor switched me from Kariva to Lo Loestrin FE due to migraines with aura and extremely heavy periods/debilitating cramps. I am on week two of my second pack of lo loestrin. First month, fine and dandy although I did not get a period, and I fully expected one. I am now two weeks in on my second pack and have full bore started my period unexpectedly (always makes a girl happy.) horrible cramps/back cramps/exhaustion. Lots of clots. Not sure what to do. Irritated that this happened especially when my doctor did this to help ease my periods now I'm having it irregularly and not any better. Getting married in 4 months and his NEEDS to get under control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

"I was on this BC for about 6 months. This was the second one I tried since the first one made me sick every single morning. This brand though was much worse- about 3 months into it I realized new small bruises all over my legs. Every day there would be more. Then I started coughing up blood. When that happened I went straight to the doctor and told them all that was going on, they ran blood tests and everything. I called my mom crying because I was certain I had cancer. My mom was crying, my dad was crying, my boyfriend was crying. We all were expecting it to be bad. I felt dizzy all the time and like I would pass out, I just felt miserable. Well the blood test came back clear- turns out it was the BC. Never again. Don't take it!"

Scary12 May 15, 2017

"Since being diagnosed with Epilepsy I was put on pills to prevent seizures which did not help until I was also put on Loestrin 24 Fe. So far no seizures. I believe its related to a hormonal imbalance and the Birth Control definitely helps. I have not had any bad symptoms at all. No nausea, no mood swings. I have tried every single Birth Control I could think of and this is the only one I like by far. I plan to stay on it for another 6-12 months and try for baby #3."

Blessed Libra (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

"I was on loestrin for about 3 years before switching to its generic equivalent, mylan. After about 5 years of being on this brand I started getting really bad symptoms (nausea, cold sweats, dropped body temp, migraine) so I decided to quit birth control all together (was on it about 10 years). Within 2 months I gained 10 pounds, particularly in the midsection. At first I didn't connect the dots and started a straight vegetarian meal prep diet and worked out 4-6 times a week. My weight steadily kept going up until I gained about 30 lbs in 6 months, again mostly in my belly. I read up that this is a common side effect of quitting birth control, particurly with the loestrin/mylan 24 fe brand. It's been over a year and still no end in sight"

Anniebear (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

"I had a terrible experience with this bc. Once I started taking it, I was very nauseous daily for a week. Once I got my period, it was so painful and so heavy, I couldn't even do anything. I would also get a full blown period twice in one month. My period was never like that before. I stayed on it for 3 months or so trying to let my body get used to it but it was not working out. I started taking this birth control to shrink ovarian cysts. I had two small ones that did go away but I had another bigger one pop up. But Everybody is different. I just felt like sharing my experience. I am now taking minastrin 24 fe. So we will see how this works for me...."

Tories (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"I wanted shorter periods and had breast pain on my old pill, so I asked for a low dose bc. I'm on month 4 of this pill and want to be off it desperately. Pack 1, I got a 1 day period and got excited. Pack 2, in the second week I spotted a lot, then got a 2 day period on schedule. Pack 3, I spotted for 2 weeks and then had heavier spotting for a period. I'm almost through the first week of pack 4 and still bleeding, although it is way lighter than my previous periods on a different pill. I can't deal with this bleeding. My dr said give it 4 months and here we are. I am asking to be put on my old bc asap, I'll put up with the sore boobs!."

reenabeena December 31, 2016

"I was on loestrin for about 5 years until I decided to take a break and get off the pill. Although my skin was clear and it was effective at basically eliminating my period and most cramping, DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. It gave me horrible mood swings, anxiety and made me irrational, unreasonable and angry (basically insane) - which I didn't realize until I stopped taking it. I honestly thought I was just me until I got off and felt much more like myself. I've been happy and upbeat ever since."

Anonymous December 19, 2016

"I've had many problems in the past with keeping my hormone levels normal. After switching to this pill, my levels have evened out. However, I have noticed that when I do have my cycle (which is rare) I become extremely nauseated and feel absolutely sick. Everyone reacts differently but if you're going to try this pill, just know if you're like me there's a possibility of a lot of debilitating nausea and chances of fever."

Sassyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2016

"The first two weeks I did have heavy spotting and slight nausea, which went away before the first month was over. It cleared my face from acne, I didn't have much to begin with. And I gained no weight at all and no bloating. I honestly love this birth control I asked my doctor for a low hormone pill and this is what he subscribed. I'm very happy with it, I will not be switching any time soon. I plan on keeping it for sure!"

Bella nova (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2016

"I have been using the pill for two and a half weeks now and absolutely love it. I had previously used Sprintec, a generic over the counter pill that was free, and prior to Obamacare was 9 dollars a month with my insurance. I changed pills after my insurance refused to allow me to take yaz and the next best option was this. My skin is more clear, my attitude is happier, my sex drive is through the roof, and I think depending on your natural level of hormones, this pill can do great things for you. I don't approve of the cost, but thankfully my doctor said he will supply me with free monthly trial packets until my insurance agrees to cover yaz."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

"I have been on this pill for 9 years and have always loved it. I basically never have a period and have never been pregnant or had a pregnancy scare. HOWEVER, I got my first yeast infection after about 4 months on this pill. My doctor at the time told me this was normal in women. I have been getting yeast infections 3-5 times a year since starting this pill. My new doctor has informed me that this many yeast infections is, in fact, NOT normal. I have just switched my birth control."

hanbanan November 23, 2016

"I am 25 years old. Just started taking loestrin 24fe. Took it a week before my peroid. It's been two weeks since then. No period yet. Haven't done the deed yet so I dont know how effective it is. Started taking it due to being married soon (next week in fact). The problem Is I'm having shortness of breath and pain in my knee (thought it was pain due to walking home from work everyday, now not so sure. Could be a possible blood clot. My calf is hurting as well. I'm going to continue to take my pills but have compression socks on from now on to limit the clots if I have any. I'm healthy (except I have synthyroid) only 25, so I shouldn't be having problems like this right? I'm keeping my legs over my heart as instructed to lessen the pain."

Pickle juice (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"Was put on this pill after I came off microgynon after 5 years as it made me insane. I've been on loestrin for 3 months and will be changing as soon as I can. I have been having the most severe nightmares on this pill and I am woken up every night in a tizz. Also my boobs have grown a cup size which is good, but I have also gained weight and can't seem to shift it. Feel constantly fat. Also all my life I have had essentially perfect skin but since being on this pill my skin is constantly greasy which has resulted into spots. On the plus side, mood is generally good and no pregnancys but the nightmares are too big of a deal to carry on"

Holly199328 September 26, 2016