Loestrin 24 Fe Dosage
Generic name: NORETHINDRONE ACETATE 1mg, ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 0.01mg; ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 0.01mg;
Dosage form: tablets
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 14, 2017.
2.1 How to Take Lo Loestrin Fe
To achieve maximum contraceptive effectiveness, Lo Loestrin Fe must be taken exactly as directed. Take one tablet by mouth at the same time every day. Tablets must be taken in the order directed on the blister pack. Tablets should not be skipped or taken at intervals exceeding 24 hours. For patient instructions for missed pills, see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling. Lo Loestrin Fe tablets may be administered without regard to meals [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
2.2 How to Start Lo Loestrin Fe
Instruct the patient to begin taking Lo Loestrin Fe on Day 1 of her menstrual cycle (that is, the first day of her menstrual bleeding) [see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling]. One blue tablet should be taken daily for 24 consecutive days, followed by one white tablet daily for 2 consecutive days, followed by one brown tablet daily for 2 consecutive days. Instruct the patient to use a non-hormonal contraceptive as back-up during the first 7 days if she starts taking Lo Loestrin Fe other than on the first day of her menstrual cycle.
For postpartum women who do not breastfeed or after a second trimester abortion, Lo Loestrin Fe may be started no earlier than 4 weeks postpartum. Recommend use of a non-hormonal back-up method for the first 7 days. When COCs are used during the postpartum period, the increased risk of thromboembolic disease associated with the postpartum period must be considered [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. The possibility of ovulation and conception before starting COCs should also be considered.
Lo Loestrin Fe may be initiated immediately after a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage; if the patient starts Lo Loestrin Fe immediately, additional contraceptive measures are not needed.
2.3 Switching from another Hormonal Method of Contraception
If the patient is switching from a combination hormonal method such as:
○ Another pill
○ Vaginal ring
- Instruct her to take the first blue tablet on the day she would have taken her next COC pill. She should not continue taking the tablets from her previous birth control pack, and should not skip any days between packs. If she does not have a withdrawal bleed, rule out pregnancy before starting Lo Loestrin Fe.
- If she previously used a vaginal ring or transdermal patch, she should start using Lo Loestrin Fe on the day she would have resumed the previous product.
If the patient is switching from a progestin-only method such as a:
○ Progestin-only pill
○ Intrauterine system
- Instruct her to take the first blue tablet on the day she would have taken her next progestin-only pill, or had her next injection or on the day of removal of her implant.
- If switching from an IUD, depending on the timing of removal, back-up contraception may be needed.
2.4 Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
If the patient vomits or has diarrhea (within 3 to 4 hours after she takes a blue or white pill), she should follow the instructions in the “What to Do if You Miss Pills” section [see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 416 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: contraceptives
- FDA Approval History