Loestrin 24 FE Dosage
Generic name: NORETHINDRONE ACETATE 1mg, ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 20ug;
Dosage form: tablets
Drug classes: Contraceptives, Sex hormone combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 22, 2022.
2.1 How to Start LOESTRIN 24 Fe
LOESTRIN 24 Fe is dispensed in a blister card [see How Supplied/Storage and Handling (16)]. LOESTRIN 24 FE may be started using either a Day 1 start or a Sunday start (see Table 1). For the first cycle of a Sunday Start regimen, an additional method of contraception must be used until after the first 7 consecutive days of administration.
2.2 How to Take LOESTRIN 24 Fe
|Starting COCs in women not currently using hormonal contraception (Day 1 Start or Sunday Start)
Consider the possibility of ovulation and conception prior to initiation of this product.
|Day 1 Start:
For each 28-day course, take in the following order:
|Switching to LOESTRIN 24 Fe from another oral contraceptive||Start on the same day that a new pack of the previous oral contraceptive would have started.|
|Switching from another contraceptive method to LOESTRIN 24 Fe||Start LOESTRIN 24 Fe:|
|Complete instructions on proper tablet usage are located in the FDA-approved patient labeling.|
Starting LOESTRIN 24 Fe after Abortion or Miscarriage
- After a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage, LOESTRIN 24 Fe may be started immediately. An additional method of contraception is not needed if LOESTRIN 24 Fe is started immediately.
- If LOESTRIN 24 Fe is not started within 5 days after termination of the pregnancy, the patient must use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first 7 days of her first 28-day course of LOESTRIN 24 Fe.
- Do not start until 4 weeks after a second-trimester abortion or miscarriage, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start LOESTRIN 24 Fe following the instructions in Table 1 for Sunday start. Use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first 7 days of the patient’s first 28-day course of LOESTRIN 24 Fe [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and FDA-approved Patient Labeling].
Starting LOESTRIN 24 Fe after Childbirth
- Do not start until 4 weeks after delivery, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start contraceptive therapy with LOESTRIN 24 Fe following the instructions in Table 1 for women not currently using hormonal contraception.
- If the woman has not yet had a period postpartum, consider the possibility of ovulation and conception occurring prior to use of LOESTRIN 24 Fe [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), Use in Specific Populations (8.1 and 8.3)].
2.3 Missed Tablets
||Take the tablet as soon as possible. Take the next pill at the regular time, and continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished. Back-up contraception is not needed|
||Take the two missed tablets as soon as possible and the next two active tablets the next day. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished. Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) must be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.|
||Day 1 Start: Throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Sunday Start: Continue taking one tablet a day until Sunday, then throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) must be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing 3 tablets.
2.4 Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
In case of severe vomiting or diarrhea, absorption may not be complete and additional contraceptive measures must be taken. If vomiting or diarrhea occurs within 3-4 hours after taking a white tablet, handle this as a missed tablet [see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
More about Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)
- Check interactions
- Reviews (746)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: contraceptives
Lo Loestrin Fe, Loestrin 21 1/20, Junel Fe 1/20, Blisovi Fe 1/20, ... +41 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.