User Reviews for Spravato to treat Depression

Spravato has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 26% of those users who reviewed Spravato reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Spravato Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

11% 4
23% 8
14% 5

Reviews for Spravato

elandem · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

“I did a full month of treatments - 8 total at the 84 mg dose. I enjoyed the experience, however it did absolutely nothing to help my depression. I am going to try IV Ketamine infusions at some point, as I understand they are more effective for many reasons. I started with Spravato because it only cost $520 total for all 8 visits ($55 copay and $10 for Spravato thru the J&J program).”

AME November 18, 2020

“I have been doing Spravato treatments for approximately 10 weeks (for bipolar) and I, and everyone who knows me, have seen a wonderful improvement in mood and energy. Prior to starting treatments, I had been sleeping 16+ hours a day and had little motivation to accomplish even basic self-care. Now my sleep is about 9 hours a night and I wake up ready to set and accomplish goals. Having bipolar disorder, I am hypervigilant about not getting manic and so far no manic episodes, just healthy increased energy. Due to my improved condition, I am currently enrolled in three online courses which I am thoroughly enjoying - this would not have been fathomable just three short months ago. Yes, the 2 hours during treatment can be a bit "trippy"and uncomfortable, and I agree with other posters, surround yourself with comforting, soothing things. Listen to soft music, wear comfortable clothes or watch uplifting videos.”

MISSY October 31, 2020

“I have mixed feelings about this drug. This has taken the suicidal thoughts and squashed it, My depression is very little I really don't like the treatment - feeling spaced out for 45 mins. I've had high heart rate, dizzy, sickness, headaches, The BIGGEST most important part of this treatment is take no medications the night before and day of treatment, don't drink the night before or you will pay for it with super sickness and panic attacks and high heart rate. Everyone is different with this treatment don't think its going to be fun cuz its not. But verses being dead, it was worth the try!! I had to find this out on my own, the Drs don't tell you much about what and what not to do when you take this medication. Most important put yourself in a calm state during, I found playing soft music is a must, and try not to get up during or it will cause you to be dizzy and sick. Wait at least 45 mins after when it wears off. I hope this helps someone.”

Jimmy September 6, 2020

“Been on 84mg for over a year. Cutting to every two weeks soon. It's more intense than the IV version and nowhere near as good as micro dosing mushrooms. Sorry Janssen. Waiting for the phase 3 trials of psylocybin to complete and I'm all in. I want a cure, not games.”

Laly September 2, 2020

“I suffer from depression. I’ve tried different meds and none have seemed to help. I heard of Spravato and was very excited to know there was a treatment out there that could work. I’ve done 6 sessions of Spravato and have seen no improvement. I have an appointment tomorrow for another treatment. I really don’t like the experience. As you inhale the Spravato you get the nasty taste. Then you’re in for a ride of feeling like you’re outside your body. Feeling like you’re completely numb. Face feet etc. I hate the whole experience. Everyone is different. I hope this works for others that are going to try this. Good luck!”

Calif619 · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

“I’ve had 5 Spravato treatments so far for depression. I felt a lightening of my mood after the first three treatments, however the feeling didn’t last long maybe 24 hours. I’m hopeful that with continued treatments I will improve. I don’t have a strong reaction to the medication when it’s administered, just a slight disassociation with time and place that I can easily bring into perspective. The nasal spray dripping down your throat is horrible and I take zofran and omeprazole before my appointments to counter. I had 15 ketamine injections a year ago and they helped a little. I’ve yet to have an infusion. I know that is the gold standard but I cannot afford it financially.”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2020

“I have Bipolar, untreatable depression, BPD. I have done esketamine as both IV and Spravato. Spravato is a waste of time and money. After going through the initial 8 week transition, I was in for Spravato almost every other week where I was in for IV once a month to as long as every 6 weeks. The side effects were horrible, headache, exhaustion for a day or 2 and not knowing where I was. This drug was barely vetted by the FDA with only 80 test subjects in their group. IV ketamine has years of use and they know it works, but because there is zero money to be made they will never approve it so our insurance will pay for it”

Captivating · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2020

“I started in December and put it simply it saved my life. It took about six weeks and I've also been taking Prozac and some supplements which have also helped. for the first time in my life I feel like I can function normally. I would be a poster child for this drug if I could.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 16, 2020

“Spravto Let’s just say this is when you have tried everything else and you still need help. If you think this is just a way to get high your wrong. Although my one and only bad experience out of 40 treatments was pretty Psychedelic. I just didn’t know where I was. My doctor was nervous. Otherwise this drug has worked very well for me in certain areas. My suicidal thoughts have lessoned by half. Depression down a quarter. This is a new drug so they are still working on it.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“On Spravato I felt like I was going to die. It took 4 minutes to kick in. I couldn’t feel my face, couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe, the room was spinning, music felt far away even though I had headphones in. I heard the ocean. I was sweating/ felt like I was sinking, mind racing, nauseous. I felt like I was strapped to a Ferris wheel that wouldn’t stop spinning/falling really fast. I was crying & sweating, 22 minutes in I had a ringing in my ear. It gave me a headache. I couldn’t hear my music anymore, that scared me. I couldn’t move. I was crying for my mom. It was really scary. I don’t feel 100% back to normal today (appointment was yesterday). I feel lethargic- spacey with no appetite. I feel sad/disappointed that this didn’t work. This was literally the last thing to try treatment wise. I have to go back to doing TMS everyday. Please don’t try this unless it’s your LAST resort.”

Stephanie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

“Details: a medium intranasal dose twice a week in office for a month, followed by a high dose once a week. Not a cure. If you stop, your depression will return. Experience: spray a mist of Spravato into each nostril while at the office. You then need to wait two hours to be monitored for the effects to wear off. For me, the first 20 minutes are unpleasant, like a psychadelic trip that is a bit too strong. Due to COVID-19, I cannot bring anyone with me, so I listen to guided meditations. I have vomited on the higher dose, but an accompanying zofran has helped tremendously. In my bag: water bottle, crackers, hard candy, a book. The nasal spray drips down your throat and tastes terrible. Results: Spravato has helped me tremendously. I am 36, and have had depression since I was 12. I have tried many medications, with only minor results (including TMS). The appointments are unpleasant for me, but they are worth it for the relief. It was about two months before I saw results.”

Ana · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

“I would like to know if anyone else currently being treated with Spravato has had insomnia/flashback/extremely weird and vivid dreams? I have only completed 2 treatments so far and am curious as to how it is affecting others.”

Danchise · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

“When I read about Spravato I was so excited. I had failed TMS and multiple oral medications so this new format of spraying something directly into your brain. Initially I had a great amount of disassociation for the first hour, which gradually dissipated. The day of the treatment I felt great, but then it seemed to just go away. While on it I had increased suicidal ideations. I was also hospitalized 2 months later with pneumonia and fluid in my lower left lung. THESE TWO COULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION TO EACH OTHER. But after that I elected to stop taking Spravato. I think it is very promising but it is too new to have a history and I’m done being the guinea pig”

Bruno · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

“Really Helped. IV is better, but this bridges the gap”

Baldfun · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“After being on 6 different anti depressants and doing 6 weeks of TMS with no relief from my depression I was prescribed Spravato. I completed 4 weeks of treatments of 84mg 2 times per week, 4 weeks of treatments one times per week and one treatment every other week. I have had no relief from my depression. I feel like the effectiveness of this drug was over hyped. It was expensive and time consuming and very disappointing to have no results.”

AJ January 18, 2020

“I did the IV Ketamine for several months and found it very helpful, but it wore off very quickly. My physician has recommended that I start Spravato, as he has sometimes seen its benefits last longer. I have now had 2 treatments with 53 mg. I do not feel dissociative symptoms, like with the IV, but I have significant symptoms of motion sickness. The night of the treatment, I feel exhausted and this is lasting into the following day. With the IV treatment, my symptoms fully resolved the night of treatment. I am trying to determine if these treatments are worth continuing. The side effects are prolonged and there is no certainty that the benefits will last very long.”

Kjo · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

“An exciting experience that lifts you into a different way of looking at many things. Colors and objects appear more enhanced and even strikingly different than usually experienced but quite interesting and most surprisingly more in depth.”

Austinite · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“Spravato has been miraculous for me. The day after my third treatment (first at 84 mg) I felt the darkness lifting. My depression score went from severe depression to mild mood disturbance. I haven’t felt normal in six years. Tried dozens of meds, and nothing. I’m still not 100%, but so much better. I don’t dread my life anymore. The crushing sadness is gone. I know everyone responds differently, but for me it’s been life-changing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2019

“Depressed NO MORE.. Thanks Spravato”

SpravatoUserNY · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Hi, I think people who are taking Spravato should read the wealth of information from maker. I have severe anxiety. It does not assist anxiety. If you have a doctor giving you Spravato for severe anxiety- that’s insane! Spravato is for depression only. Take the dose, relax and you absolutely want to be alone, lights off and listen to music YOU LIKE. Do not sit in a lighted room with the clinician. They will come and check on you. I do not recommend you bring a family member while the medication is working. If you can stand go to the bathroom if you have to. If you can’t stand - ask for help. Having to use the bathroom takes the entire process of reprogramming your brain away. Urination- yes it is more difficult on Spravato. Going #2- Your not suppose to eat food at least 2 hours before taking meds. Is it worth it? Yes!! Does it last forever? No but as I get more and more doses it is working longer and longer. I hope this helps someone else.”

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2019

“An update from September I've been on Spravato for over three months now and it seems to be helping although I'm still not seeing rainbows. It works best for me about 48 hours after a visit. My experiences are all over the place. If you clean your sinuses before your visit it's effects are a lot stronger. I had some bizarre reactions. One of the weirdest was the feeling of melting into the floor and then the floor dropping out. It also causes me to have a strong urge to urinate and messes with my sense of taste. The vision issues have more or less subsided. Take some candy to the appointment, preferably Life Savers wintergreen or peppermint. Nothing you can choke on. Note: When the cost is Ketamine infusions hits 200$ I'm going to switch. Pure Ketamine is amazing.”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“I had my first experience with Spravato yesterday and the side effects were just awful. Felt extremely drunk--dissociation, severe nausea and sweating, dizziness, tiredness. Could barely make it home (I got a ride) and get myself into bed to lie there for the rest of the night. The next morning--extremely tired, nauseous. Felt hungover. No affect on my TRD (treatment resistant depression after 1 treatment. I will continue as long as I can stand it because I am pretty much out of options. But I am dreading it more than I did with ECT.”

777993 October 15, 2019

“Anybody have increased suicidal thought on spravato?”

Eggs · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

“Starting fourth week tomorrow Spravato has helped a little but still have anxiety especially when waking in morning. It may or may not work but I’m better than I was hope it lasts. I may try Kratom if this doesn’t work, do not want to be as bad as I was. My clinician is great and believe me not all clinicians are all not that caring. I had to see someone else for one dosing and she left me in the room for 40 minutes by myself. Not good when you're tripping out.”

Hope · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2019

“TRD (treatment resistant depression) for 30 years, have tried everything and will continue to try this. Was on 56mg 2x week for a month (eventually I had no immediate reaction as my body got used to the drug - lingering tiredness, so I did the treatments in the late afternoon) and have had 3 treatments with 84mg. First two of 84mg were fine - trippy, slight visual disturbance but I was able to recognize that this was the drug and not me - felt like I smoked a ton of pot or something. Yesterday was the 3rd treatment of 84mg. I went into appointment very upset and stressed, and coupled with the Spravato, had a dissociative episode. I started to cry and then boom: sobbing, no idea who I was, where I was, visual disturbance so couldn't see correctly, was paranoid, untrusting - I have never been so terrified in all my life. So far, no depression reduction, which saddens me, and I'm scared to have another trip like I did yesterday.”