User Reviews for Nikki

Acne
1.7

Summary of Nikki reviews 3.8 36 reviews

Reviews for Nikki

For Acne "My daughter received Nikki as a generic substitute from the mail order pharmacy. She immediately broke out in hives and her acne was much worse. She did not immediately attribute the hives to the BC and went to the Dr. for some steroid medication. As soon as the steriod medication was finished she was itchy all over again. I finally found on the Nikki website that this is a lesser occurring side effect and she stopped taking it. Watch carefully for side effects when you start taking any new medication!"

SmartyGirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

For Acne "I've been on many different birth control before but I decided to try this to treat my adult acne. I took it for 3 months and it was the craziest experience next to the Mirena IUD! I had crazy mood swings, cried a lot, and my libido went from 10 to 0!!! I didn't even want to have sex because it made me not care for it at all! The only benefit was that my acne did clear up. I got off of it and am now on spirolactone for the next month. If nothing happens then I'm going back to using Accutane (isotritenoin)."

Leo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience is similar to everyone else. I was on Gianvi for YEARS but then my pharmacy switched me to Nikki. I’ve been on it 3-4 months now and I’m happy to say I’m never going back. I became a lunatic on Nikki - strong mood swings, emotional, crying. I’ve been retaining water. And worst of all my acne is horrible. I had bad acne as a teenager but when I went on Gianvi it went away. Now on Nikki I can count on having at least 6 cystic pimples on my cheeks (I’ve never broken out on my cheeks before) at any given point in time. Not a good substitute."

TC (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I don't ever write reviews, but I had to share my experience with this birth control. This is my first time getting back on birth control in almost 2 years and a doctor prescribed me Nikki. I typically have pretty clear skin.. about one or two small pimples here & there, but within 3 days of me taking Nikki I ended up with two pimples on my back and three on my face. Within 4 days of taking Nikki, I also started to experience mood swings and depression. The emotional side effects from this birth control is not worth taking whatsoever. I found myself to be more irritable and emotional for the most ridiculous reasons & that isn't me. I was on it for ONLY 11 days & it was the worst birth control experience I've ever had. Please save yourself the time & pay a higher price for a better birth control."

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I was switched over to Nikki because my insurance covered all of it and I’m here for free birth control. But I would rather pay the $30 for my old birth control then get this for free. After switching my mood swings became noticeably worse, and my acne started acting up. I’m currently on my period on this brand and NOTHING is better. Birth control typically makes my period lighter and a lot easier to deal with, but my cramps are as bad as they are without the pill and I’m throwing up and have diarrhea which is normal for me when I’m not even on the pill. So all in all I’m just disappointed that I don’t feel any better, my acne came back, I’m way more emotional, and my period is horrible."

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2018

"I had been off of birth control pills for a year, but I started getting terrible periods. Bad cramps, vomiting, etc. So I made an appointment and was prescribed Nikki. I've been on it for almost two months, but I will be stopping today. At first I felt fine, but over the past 3 weeks I have started suffering from depression and anxiety. Bad. I think that birth control affects everyone differently but seriously watch your mental health if you try Nikki."

Del (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

"I have an updated review since being on Nikki from October 2017 onward. At first, it seemed like a miracle drug because it didn't cause any crazy side effects like mood swings or increased acne. However, the last 2 months, I've noticed an increase in weight from either fat or water weight. I thought it was due to an antidepressant I'm on but I got off that 2 weeks ago and I'm steadily gaining. I did some research on other birth control for PCOS and discovered that OrthoCyclen is low-androgenic and monophasic (steady hormones). I take the pill continously - no placebo pills - to prevent ovarian cysts that rupture. I just went thru and ordered MonoNessa which is the generic of OrthoCyclen and gets good reviews. Hopefully, it will not cause weight gain or any other bad side effects as weight gain is not acceptable to me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

For Acne "I was on Gianvi for YEARS and my skin was like glass. I was thin, no mental issues, etc. - and had NO problems until my pharmacy randomly switched me to Nikki. I've since gained 10 pounds on my 5'5' frame. None of my pants fit. My super thick hair has been falling out like crazy. My cystic acne is back. My mood swings are back. My cramps are back, and my periods heavy. What is this pill. STAY AWAY!"

Alisa (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Was prescribed Yaz, insurance gave Nikki. Always try to be educated with what I'm taking. Reviews were a little intimidating and despite more negative than positive decided to try for myself. By the second day started breaking out with cystic acne and extremely emotional. Crying, agitated to the depressive thoughts by day 7. (Didn't have acne prior.) Talked to prescribing doctor and stopped after day 8. Despite reading possible side effects nothing could prepare me for how quick and hard they hit. Not a good fit for me personally. Feel like Nikki should give a better warning how extreme things can be beforehand."

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I'd been taking Gianvi for 4 years and I loved it. But I was forced to switch to Nikki last year since all of the pharmacies where I live stopped carrying Gianvi & I'm not happy. It does fine at regulating my cycle but does not help with my cramps (I have endometriosis though, so take that into consideration.) It also does a pretty good job keeping my pmdd under control but I'm also taking an antidepressant, so that works against my depressive mood swings as well. It's not great with preventing acne, I've been getting a lot of hormonal cystic acne. However, my big complaint is that I have been getting frequent intense headaches & menstrual migraines since I started Nikki. I can live with cramps, mood swings and acne, but these headaches put me out of commission & it's interrupting my life. However, because of my pmdd I have to be in this specific pill and I can't afford name brand. My advice is to avoid this pill if you can, especially if you're switching from another bc."

CJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I started out taking Nikki after switch from a higher dose because I had bad mood swings. So we lowered it I now have this weird feeling on my left boob. I've had it for two months now. It comes and goes. Not sure what it is I have appointment coming up so. Bringing it to her attention and possibly changing"

tina March 29, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst birth control. Acne became out of control. Horrible."

Anonymous March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Nikki for about 5 months and I definitely think it has its pros and cons. On the pro side, it literally performed a miracle on my skin. I've had the most stubborn cystic acne for half of my life and right now my skin is the clearest it's been since age 11. So if you're looking for a birth control to treat acne, I highly recommend this one. (Keep in mind that it took about 2 months of being on the pill to clear up my skin). On the con side, my anxiety has been pretty out of control ever since I started taking it. I cry a lot for no reason, and I've been experiencing a lot of paranoia (which I've never really had before). I'll keep taking the pill because I'm so amazed at how my skin looks, but be aware that the emotional side effects are real."

Emily (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I got non consentually switched from BeYaz to Nikki because my health insurance stopped covering brand name meds and I was forced to trial 2 generics. I was on BeYaz for 13 years with absolutely no problems or symptoms. After being on Nikki for 6 months, I can attest to this being the worst medication I’ve ever taken, with horrible side effects. I gained 15 lbs resulting in an auto immune disorder flare up, felt emotionally beaten down, incredibly tired, lethargic, my migraines increased by double the amount, and anxiety/depression made their way into the picture, causing me to take myself off of this med. My health insurance refuses to cover a name brand BC, so I will be using a card to get my $278 (out of pocket) BeYaz for $58"

Chels (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

For Birth Control "My pharmacy switched me over from Gianvi to Nikki. Since taking Nikki, which has been for about 4 months now, my once clear skin has become a playground for acne. Not only is my skin a problem but my periods, my horrible cramps have come back and I never know when it's is coming. One of the main reasons for being on birth control is to regulate my cycle and also help with my PMDD. I plan things around when my cycle will be and with this I have had to miss wax appointments because my period just shows up randomly. Can't forget to add the headaches, nausea, weight gain, blurred vision and the biggest problem being mood swings and aggression it has caused me. I have found myself becoming increasingly aggressive and that's not me. Thank goodness I went and saw my doctor last week and I have now been switched back to Gianvi, I can't wait to feel back to normal again."

KC (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Birth Control "This is the first birth control I've tried and I am a fan of it! However, for the first day or two days of taking it, I was in a terrible and irritable mood. Luckily, since then, I have been completely normal. Additionally, some of my acne has cleared up. I have not noticed any weight gain or loss, change in appetite, headaches, etc. I'm very happy with this med and will continue to use it!"

luscb (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on Gianvi for years. Loved it- and it worked perfect. I steadily was 115 pounds, 5’4”. A month, not even the entire full month into taking Nikki (our pharmacy stopped distributing Gianvi and supplemented for this)- I am now a whopping 143 pounds!! I am constantly cramping in my lower right quadrant. It’s unreal. I’m going off this on my own and talking to my OB next week. (I gave it a three month trial and thought it may take a few weeks to kick in — nope, it’s worse)."

Lisbeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I will switch from vestura to this medication and ever since I have stomach ache all the time. I always have to eat something before I take it if I don't I will have the worst nausea and stomach pain. My acne got a little worst and I cramp when I get my period which it didn't happen with my other medication. Nikki is not so good"

Lola (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I was switched to this from Vestura because Walgreens stopped carrying it. I didn't notice much of a difference. Seems to work fine (not pregnant), I get the occasional headache, and my period has remained regular and has become very light. Don't ever spot or get crazy acne. I like that the Vestura came in a little pouch and this one is a pack with a cardboard flip front."

Allie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the WORST experience with this birth control. I have been taking Gianvi for years, which is another generic form of Yaz. I had to switch pharmacies and my new pharmacy doesn't carry Gianvi, so they gave me Nikki instead. I took one pill and within 12 hours I saw all the side effects. I woke up and my heart was racing, I was sweating, and I had severe nausea. I would rather pay extra for the name brand Yaz than ever take this again."

Karen1014 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I️ was on this birth control in high school and ended up switching back to I️t in college. Everything was great. I️ has no side effects and my skin is flawless!! The only reason I️ am switching after being on I️t for about a year is I️ would experience spotting every two weeks-heavy enough where I️ would have to use a tampon. I️ am sad to be switching from this pill because I️ liked I️t a lot, but just cannot take having my period every 2 weeks. I️ think my body just may need a higher dose."

Juliamart January 19, 2018

"I am 23 yrs old and as a first time BC user, Nikki has been better than I expected. I was skeptical because of all the bad reviews but it has turned out to be great! I’ve gotten nausea and occasional migraines but that’s just my body getting used to it but 3 weeks later, it’s been a lot better. No weight gain; because of the nausea it’s changed my eating so I’ve lost a few pounds. My skin is clearer and my period wasn’t as heavy as it was. Don't stop taking it after a few days, your body needs a month to get used to it, side effects are normal. So far, no major complaints. I would recommend!"

Kar0823 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "Walgreens stopped Vestura and switched me to Nikki.... I was on it for 3 months and it caused me to have horrible acne that literally never went away.. and I mean like the same blemishes stayed on my face for 2 months straight, and didn't go away until I stopped taking Nikki... It caused me to have bruises ALL over my legs to the point I actually looked like a dalmation. I counted 43 bruises at its worst. As soon as I stopped taking Nikki the bruises and my acne cleared up in a week. It also made me abnormally tired. I am an early riser and usually wake up around 7 or 8 on my own. When I started taking Nikki I couldn't wake up before 10 and even then I still felt tired. DO NOT TAKE NIKKI"

Unhappy camper 2934 January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I just recently switched pharmacies and unfortunately the new pharmacy doesn’t have gianvi but instead Nikki. I will be finishing this pack and going back to my old pharmacy and getting gianvi back. I started my period well before I should have and it just feels awful!! I never had this problem on gianvi ever! For those that switched back to gianvi...did your period in between bleeding subside right away??"

Bellaft (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m not sure why there are such bad reviews on this. This is my first time using this product and so far I haven’t gained any weight, if anything my appetite has changed in ways that I’m not as hungry as I usually am. I had headaches the first few days but I’m assuming my body just was not used to it. Don’t have any mood changes and sleep fine. My skin has cleared up quickly"

Annonymous User January 9, 2018