User Reviews for Nikki

Acne
3.4

Summary of Nikki reviews 4.0 56 reviews

Reviews for Nikki

For Birth Control "I was prescribed Yaz but my pharmacy gave me Nikki because it's the brand my insurance would cover. I started on Monday and by Wednesday I was having hot flashes, nausea and diarrhea. I take 10 mg of fluoxetine and it was as if Nikki cancelled it out. Thursday I went into a severe depression. I also have very clear skin and I woke up with cystic bumps and inflammation. I have never had major issues with other brands of birth control so I did some research and talked to a doctor. Nikki is linked to gastrointestinal issues and can trigger a gastritis episode in someone who already has digestive issues. I have been taking 300mg of Ranitidine everyday since March and it doesn't seem to be helping since I started Nikki. I have been unable to work the last 4 days. I discontinued use on Saturday. Do not take it especially if your prone to digestive issues, anxiety and depression! I should have considered the negative reviews beforehand."

AG314 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I am literally in day 31 of my period since starting this medication! I'm well into my second pack of Nikki and it shouldn't be like this. I however, don't have any other side effects."

Day31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I would not recommend this pill to anyone. It straight up tried to ruin my life. iIve only been on this pill for a month and I had normal side effects for the first week (moodiness, nausea, etc.) but as time went on it just got worse and worse. I started to have major anxiety issues which is something I haven’t dealt with in years and it also caused me to have depression that’s gotten so bad in such a short time that my doctor had to put me on anti depressants. I’ve been angry ALL the time for absolutely no reason, it almost ruined my relationship because I would get mad at my boyfriend every single day.over the most stupid things but it was absolutely uncontrollable. This past month I’ve felt like I was going insane. My acne did get better and my period has been a lot lighter but it’s not worth it. I’d rather bleed for the rest of my days than have to go through that again. Just don’t do it. Spare yourself."

colmew (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "This medication made me feel moody, achy, tired, and I gained weight. Never have I struggled with birth control before, name brand or generic. This medication has sent me on a rollercoaster and after nearly 8 months it’s not levelled out. Why does the pharmacy just change on you with no good reason? It only gets more than a 1 because it has proven effective in its one job, the rest are horrible."

Not happy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking this birth control for years now. About a year ago I had to come off of it for a month or so. During that month my moods drastically changed. I felt happier, had tons of energy, and I was less hungry. I thought for a second that this could be attributed to me stopping Nikki, but I convinced myself it was all in my head. Recently, I inadvertently skipped a week of my Nikki because I left my pills at home while I was traveling. Again. My mood was amazing and I did it feel the need to nap during the day. I thought nothing of it until now. I started taking Nikki again after returning home. It’s been 2 days. I’ve been in the worst mood all day. Crying, angry and depressed for absolutely no reason and a horrible headache. This cannot be a coincidence."

PT (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I had been taking Loryna for about 2 years to help with my hair growth and pmdd. One day the pharmacist explained that Loryna was not available & prescribed Nikki. I get my birth control 3 months at a time, so I was hesitant to be stuck with it for at least 3 months. During the first month I experienced inflammation and dryer skin on my face, chest and neck, and scaly scalp. I also can mention that regular crying sessions two to three times a week is not normal for me. Initially, I thought it was my body adjusting to a synthetic medication. 3 months later, I'm calling to beg my pharmacist to change it back. My hormones are off the wall, my skin has no improvement, & I felt like a lunatic. I felt so normal on Loryna, and could not understand what in the world was going on with me. I even considered seeing a psychologist. After reading several reviews I realised I was not alone. It might work for some women, but definitely didn't work for me. I really hope to feel like myself again soon."

Sunshine September 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Loryna for years, and I fell in love with how well I adjusted with no side effects, THEN CVS switches me to Nikki & promised it was the same exact medicine (yea right), & that I should have no issues. But what they don't tell you is that the inactive ingredients can fluctuate from brand to brand and have horrid interactions with your body, and let me tell you Nikki is the pits!! The first week I couldn't stop crying, 3 months in IM STILL CRYING! I have broken out in hives, struggle with severe headaches, & constantly endure tender painful breast. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the recent 2 weeks of nonstop bleeding I experienced while not even being scheduled to start my cycle. This was it! I was done. I switch my pharmacy to Walgreens and I am back on Loryna and within 4 hours of taking the first Loryna pill my bleeding stopped. I wouldn't give this BC (Nikki) to my worst enemy."

Z September 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I just started Nikki a month ago. For the first week I had terrible nausea and headaches. However, now my skin is so so clear. For the past 2 years I have been struggling with terrible bloating to the point where I look pregnant. Nikki helped me feel less bloated and I have lost 10 pounds in one month!! I am 120 lbs now so losing 10 lbs was a big deal for me!! I am so happy and thankful for this pill. It really HAS transformed my life. Best of all, my copay is 0!"

BirthcontrolHelpedme (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Acne "I started taking birth control for my acne and I was on the brand Loryana and it cleared up my acne so good. But I’ve recently switched to the Nikki pill and been eating nonstop and have this awful cystic acne. I do not recommend!"

anonymous September 17, 2018

For Birth Control "This pill is terrible! I was originally on Gianvi, then CVS switched me to Loryna. Both of those were wonderful. This month CVS gave me Nikki. I’ve been on it a week and a half, and I am an angry, anxious mess. I’m noticing that my appetite is increasing, I am extremely tired, my body is sore, (I haven’t started a new fitness program or anything like that) and I am uncontrollably mean to everyone. I switched pharmacies and got my beloved Loryna back. If you have any issues with anxiety, minor or not, do not take this pill!"

Melly (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Acne "Started this birth control with hopes of regulating hormones after developing relatively severe, persistent adult acne (whole regions of breakouts on cheeks, jawline, chin, chest), irregular periods (alternating between 21-45+ days between cycles), and feeling of unstable mood. After first month of use, acne has significantly improved, is now reduced to a few hormonal pimples on cheek/chin near menstruation. In second month- decrease in excessive oil and significant improvement in skin integrity(heals faster, reduced inflammation, skin feels and looks healthier ‘thicker’). Menstruation is lighter however, have some light spotting mid cycle, and suspect my body is still adjusting to medication after only 2 months. Mood generally more even and cool, fewer extreme lows. Side effects! I work 12h days and also run long distance and I’ve noticed a drop in my stamina. A couple of days where I’ve felt overwhelming fatigue. Suspect it is due to the way drug counters natural testosterone."

28yo, first experience bc September 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Ever since starting birth control, I have used Gianvi. I recently switched pharmacies, and the new pharmacy gave me Nikki instead of Gianvi (the new pharmacy is not eligible for Gianvi). After the first week of using it, I have already experienced: - headaches throughout the day - depression/mood swings - weight gain - inability to concentrate/focus - fatigue I am only on day 6 of this and have already called to switch back to my previous pharmacy so I can get Gianvi again."

BH (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I really loved this pill. It seems to get poor reviews online, but it worked wonders for me. It's effect on PMDD helped me manage my appetite surges, cramps, mood swings, migraines, and muscle aches around my menstrual cycle, which were specifically the reasons I started taking this pill. I did not experience side effects, except breast tenderness in the early months."

Erin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2018

For Birth Control "NO SIDE EFFECTS!!!! I'm at a loss for words. I'm 35+, so it actually took all these years to actually find a pill that didn't have me sick or looking like a bumpy Nestle crunch bar. Just 1 small thing, it seems to have a diuretic effect and you will be peeing A LOT - LOL."

Nene (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I had previously been taking Gianvi primarily for PMDD, but also for birth control. I decided to make a switch from (my beloved) Gianvi to Nikki due to price reasons. I was a little leery at first because of the seemingly mostly negative bad rap it was getting on this site. But, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did because it was a completely seamless transition! No changes in mood, weight, headaches, etc. I'm very happy with this medication, and I'm glad I decided to give it a try. My wallet is happy too. Remember that people are more likely to complain than compliment, so there are probably many women satisfied with Nikki who haven't written reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. Remember that nothing is permanent and you can always switch if you are dissatisfied."

LJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

For Acne "I have been taking Loryna for a couple of years now and recently had to switch to Nikki because CVS had stopped selling Loryna. Within a week of taking Nikki I had noticed that I was getting more acne than usual. Second week into Nikki, my whole face was covered in cystic acne that made me want to stay inside all day. I had migraines that hurt so bad I threw up and almost passed out. Not only that, but I felt like I could cry at any given moment and I was so tired for no reason. I quickly realized Nikki was the cause and found another pharmacy that carries Loryna and I can't wait to feel better again. Nikki has been the worst experience with any birth control I've ever taken, it was almost as if I stopped taking birth control all together. DO NOT TAKE NIKKI!"

Mandy (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I was taking Gianvi for seven years and had zero complaints, but I, like many others, was forcibly switched to Nikki. And I hate it. I took it for 6 months. During that time, I developed intense chronic headaches (at least half of each cycle was spent with a debilitating headache). It didn't do much to help with cramps or acne. It was actually okay with treating my PMDD, but I literally couldn't function because the headaches were so bad. Finally stopped taking it because I couldn't live like that anymore. It's worth it to deal with my PMDD and endometriosis without that pill, which is saying a lot."

CJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill almost three months ago and I would say it’s been great other than a few side effects. The first month I was extremely emotional and I cried all the time about little things that never would make me cry before. I get headaches more frequently and I get breast tenderness two weeks before my placebo pills start which is annoying. I also feel like this pill has made me more exhausted and sore. Other than those little side effects it’s done it’s job, my skin look fabulous, and I haven’t gained any weight on it."

Billy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Nikki for a year now. This is my first experience with birth control and unfortunately did not know enough to recognize that this pill is the cause of my symptoms. The worst being that I have been incredibly fatigued and exhausted no matter how easy I take things, or how much sleep I get. I have had difficulty focusing, excessive teeth grinding, mood swings, irritation, very low sex drive, constant headaches, emotional distress, crying, and mild depression. I have been to two doctors who can't find anything wrong with me, and I have had multiple blood draws, with no conclusion. This morning it occured to me to research my birth control. I can't believe that I have gone an entire year with these symptoms and not figured it out. I am an incredibly healthy woman. I have a great relationship with my body, and I know when something is off. I feel so terrible that I have put my body through this for so long. I will be discontinuing this BC immediately."

Fatigued August 1, 2018

For Acne "I got back on birth control to treat my acne and it has cleared my skin up 100%. I am on my third month now and by the second month my skin really cleared up which I never thought would happen. The dermatologist recommended I get on the pill and said by month 3 my skin will be clear, and she was right. I will say the first month I was extremely moody and emotional but that is normal when your body is getting adjusted but by the second month I was normal. This birth control keeps my skin clear, gives me light periods, and I didn't gain a pound on it. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to get on the pill."

BNA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2018

For Acne "My daughter received Nikki as a generic substitute from the mail order pharmacy. She immediately broke out in hives and her acne was much worse. She did not immediately attribute the hives to the BC and went to the Dr. for some steroid medication. As soon as the steriod medication was finished she was itchy all over again. I finally found on the Nikki website that this is a lesser occurring side effect and she stopped taking it. Watch carefully for side effects when you start taking any new medication!"

SmartyGirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

For Acne "I've been on many different birth control before but I decided to try this to treat my adult acne. I took it for 3 months and it was the craziest experience next to the Mirena IUD! I had crazy mood swings, cried a lot, and my libido went from 10 to 0!!! I didn't even want to have sex because it made me not care for it at all! The only benefit was that my acne did clear up. I got off of it and am now on spirolactone for the next month. If nothing happens then I'm going back to using Accutane (isotritenoin)."

Leo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience is similar to everyone else. I was on Gianvi for YEARS but then my pharmacy switched me to Nikki. I’ve been on it 3-4 months now and I’m happy to say I’m never going back. I became a lunatic on Nikki - strong mood swings, emotional, crying. I’ve been retaining water. And worst of all my acne is horrible. I had bad acne as a teenager but when I went on Gianvi it went away. Now on Nikki I can count on having at least 6 cystic pimples on my cheeks (I’ve never broken out on my cheeks before) at any given point in time. Not a good substitute."

TC (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I don't ever write reviews, but I had to share my experience with this birth control. This is my first time getting back on birth control in almost 2 years and a doctor prescribed me Nikki. I typically have pretty clear skin.. about one or two small pimples here & there, but within 3 days of me taking Nikki I ended up with two pimples on my back and three on my face. Within 4 days of taking Nikki, I also started to experience mood swings and depression. The emotional side effects from this birth control is not worth taking whatsoever. I found myself to be more irritable and emotional for the most ridiculous reasons & that isn't me. I was on it for ONLY 11 days & it was the worst birth control experience I've ever had. Please save yourself the time & pay a higher price for a better birth control."

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I was switched over to Nikki because my insurance covered all of it and I’m here for free birth control. But I would rather pay the $30 for my old birth control then get this for free. After switching my mood swings became noticeably worse, and my acne started acting up. I’m currently on my period on this brand and NOTHING is better. Birth control typically makes my period lighter and a lot easier to deal with, but my cramps are as bad as they are without the pill and I’m throwing up and have diarrhea which is normal for me when I’m not even on the pill. So all in all I’m just disappointed that I don’t feel any better, my acne came back, I’m way more emotional, and my period is horrible."

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2018