User Reviews for Nikki

Nikki has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 233 ratings on Drugs.com. 31% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 53% reported a negative experience.

Birth Control
5.2
Summary of Nikki reviews 4.5 233 reviews

Reviews for Nikki

MGS · April 7, 2021

For Birth Control: “I LOVE Nikki! I read several negative reviews when I was prescribed this birth control, but I still took a chance. Since starting, I have had no period whatsoever. My PMS symptoms have dramatically decreased. My skin is so clear I can’t remember the last time I had a significant breakout which is huge for me. I was surgically diagnosed with endometriosis 2 years ago, so having no period & no pain every month is amazing for me. I know every birth control is different for every woman, but I wanted to provide my positive review.”

Still skeptical · November 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “This makes 5 months on Nikki for me. My body acne has completely healed. I was on the Mirena IUD right after my second child and it completely messed up my hormones. I gained 30 lbs in two months. Now being on Nikki, I have officially lost 20lbs without any real change to my diet . Wondering if I'm crazy or if this BC has actually straightened out my hormones. Has anyone else experienced weight loss?”

MG · Taken for less than 1 month · September 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking Nikki for almost a full month now. At first I was so nervous it was going to make me depressed and gain weight after reading all these reviews. However, I started working out more and watching what I eat and I’ve only lost weight in the last month. My mood seems the same besides I cry easier than I did before starting Nikki. Don’t let all these reviews scare you it’s important to see how your body reacts to it.”

Olive · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 9, 2020

For Acne: “Been 6 months on Nikki and I love it!! It has cleared my acne and I’ve only been spotting the first few months. Other than that no side effects! Please talk w doctor and don’t get scared from the reviews. People only want to review if they had a negative experience! I’ve gained no weight, not depressed, and I'm so much happier bc my acne is gone”

Lily · February 26, 2021

For Birth Control: “It is important to remember that only people who have had either awful or a great experience review things... most people are just average! Anyways I LOVE Nikki. No side effects other than spotting a week before placebo for a few months ( very light, only needed a liner so it didn’t bother me!!) No weight gain, depression, NOTHING. OH and she cleared my acne! I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a pimple. Remember that everyone’s body is different, so don’t get scared reading the reviews.”

Coco · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 30, 2019

For Acne: “I want to remind y’all that everyone’s body is different, so the side effects and bad experiences people post does not mean they will happen to you! I was freaking out bc I started this Nikki birth control pill and then looked at the reviews and everyone made it seem AWFUL. However, my experience has been great!!!! Cleared my acne and the only side effect was the first few days after taking the pill I would get stomach cramps that would go away, but was all normal bc body is just getting used to hormones. I haven’t gained a pound, not depressed at all, maybe a little bit more a temper but nothing terrible, no breast tenders but they look fuller! and no nausea. please just don’t get freaked out about the reviews because everyone’s body reacts differently.”

Gullis123 · August 31, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’m so glad I took the leap and decided to take this birth control. I was suppose to get YAZ, but my doctor prescribed me this instead. BOY, was I worried from all these reviews. I was about to just throw the pack out from the horror stories. This stuff saved my life. I no longer suffer from cramps, my PMS is tamed, and my painful breakouts are gone. It’s a dream come true. As for libido... it’s still there! I did drop a star from the review because I don’t get as wet as I used to. But this is normal on BC and that’s what lube is for, haha. Everyone’s body is different, ladies. Embrace the trial and error phases and find what works best for you <3”

B · April 1, 2020

For Acne: “I was prescribed two different birth control pills since I first chose to go on it, and my experience with both were not great. I would experience spotting, severe anxiety and mood swings, and then very severe cystic acne. This past October I switched to Nikki for the sake of my skin and anxiety, and I have never been so happy. My skin has been PERFECT since starting this pill, my hormones feel so balanced, and I could not be happier. I HIGHLY recommend Nikki for anyone experiencing difficulties with emotions, anxiety, or cystic acne.”

Anonymous <3 · June 2, 2019

For Acne: “I’m a bit taken back from multiple negative feedbacks this BCP (birthcontrol pill) is receiving. I had issues with my previous BCP, especially with acne and depression, so my doctor decided to switch me to Nikki. I love this birth control. I would get nausea for the first month; however, the following months were great! My skin cleared up, my sadness and sensitivity decreased, my weight stayed consistent, and my sex drive did not change. My period would last for 4 days max with light bleeding. A bonus: It also helped me with my ovarian cyst. I no longer feel pain in my abdomen and it kept the cyst at bay. Although, do keep in mind our bodies react to pills differently. I hope this pill will give you the same benefits it did for me.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 9, 2021

For Birth Control: “Personally it gave me HUGE AMOUNTS OF ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. Before starting the pill I was a super happy “normal” person. After taking this birth control it was like my daily life was a struggle with anxiety and I was lucky to have a day without any symptoms. Absolutely horrible experience for me. I was taking it to control my PMS and severe cramping I get during my period and it did an amazing job with that but not worth the anxiety.”

TwoThumbsUp · Taken for 5 to 10 years · February 12, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am going on my fifth year taking this medication. I LOVE this pill. I was prescribed Lorena by a new doctor about three years ago, and I tried that for a short time only to have the worst bleeding, abdominal pain, and headaches of my life. I went back to my doctor, got them to prescribe me Nikki again, and I’ve never looked back. This medicine has helped me so much. It has fixed my irregular cycle, and completely cured my acne. When I first started it, I do remember feeling nauseous and having headaches. But I continued on it and those symptoms went away very quickly. Like I said, it’s going to be my fifth year on this pill, and I will never take anything else.”

Sinny · December 2, 2020

For Acne: “I’ve been on this Nikki birth control pill for about 3 weeks and so far the side effects suck. It makes me feel more depressed, stomachaches, and it’s really hard for me to eat without feeling nauseous. I switched from the birth control Junel Fe which did nothing for my skin. I’m also currently on spironolactone (have been for 3.5 months) which has helped my skin a lot. However since switching to Nikki (Yaz generic) my skin has started breaking out like crazy. The zits I’m getting are huge and some are painful. (I have 4 zits on my face right now that came out of nowhere). Before I switched I wasn’t getting these kinds of zits. However I will say that I have a lot of hope! First of all I was expecting an initial breakout. Breakouts are a common initial side effect of switching BC pills. From reading other reviews most people say it gets worse before it gets better. I’m sticking with this. A few months from now I’ll post an update on here to report on how my skin is doing :)”

holz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · November 27, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I started taking Nikki mainly for my PMDD. I used to get it SO bad the 2 weeks leading up to my period- extreme anxiety about everything, panic attacks, zero energy or motivation, suicidal ideation and even attempts. I was seriously considering dropping out of university and getting my uterus removed before finally getting prescribed Nikki! It took around 4 months to really notice any difference, but I’ve been on it for about a year now and my mental health has never been better!! I feel like a normal person now. Also, I used to have cystic acne (even accutane didn’t clear it up) but Nikki has made my skin AMAZING. I haven’t noticed much weight gain or hair loss either. I also skip the placebo pills so I don’t get my period and it works perfectly for that.”

Finally! · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 10, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I am 38 years old. Got the Mirena IUD after my last child who is now 13. The Mirena completely ruined my life. I kept BV the whole 5 years I had the Mirena as well as recurrent yeast infections and persistent drenching night sweats. I’m also convinced it ruined my thyroid as I am now 2 years post partial thyroidectomy due to large unexplained thyroid nodule. I went 10 years after having Mirena removed before trying any kind of birth control. Due to PMDD and persistent night sweats, I then tried LoLo Estrin and then Balcoltra, but both caused extreme swelling in my legs. I took Yasmin as a teenager with no problems, and I have now completed my first month as a 38 year old with no issues other than slight nausea. No PMDD, no leg swelling, no night sweats. Oh, and I’ve lost 8 pounds of pure water weight this month. Do not believe the negative reviews!! This has literally saved my life, my job, and marriage!!!!”

M.Spencer · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “This birth control Nikki has saved my life. Before I started taking it, I had severe anxiety. For over a year before it was hard for me to go anywhere and live my life. Every time I was out I would have an extreme panic attack and I would start to feel like I was lightheaded and about to pass out. I was so nervous to start this birth control because I’ve had bad side effects from others (moodiness, constant nausea). I didn’t know birth control could help with anxiety but the first two days I started taking it I could see a HUGE difference. I tried to stop taking it for the few period days and my anxiety returned so I’ve decided to skip my period days and continue taking it. I’m almost finished with my second pack and haven’t seen improvement in acne and I do have sore breasts, but no other side effects. I’m sure this will improve with time. This birth control has saved my life and made me feel normal again! I recommend for any suffering with extreme anxiety.”

pleasetrustme · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 27, 2019

For Birth Control: “Nikki is HORRIBLE. It gave me SEVERE depression and if I hadn’t figured out that Nikki was the thing causing my depression I might have been the end of me. I’m not kidding. This brand of birth control is absolutely horrible and I beg of you not to use it. Please, please please take the time and money to get the right medication for you. Do not use this terrible brand just because it’s cheap. I know that’s easier said than done but please put your mental health first because it is so extremely important.”

AvoidNikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “Nikki ruined my life for 6 months. While taking Nikki I got really bad depression, would cry daily, and was in the darkest of places. My life was going well but I was miserable for no reason. After I stopped taking Nikki I felt like myself again. Crazy how a little pill can do such crazy things to your head and body.”

Suze · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 8, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I'm 3 months in on Nikki after switching from an IUD. Acne is about the same but that's never really been a huge issue. I still have spots here and there but nothing crazy. I didn't spot and my periods (which I didn't have on IUD) are light, regular, and only last 3-4 days. What I really wanted was to clear up my mood swings. Once a month I broke up with my poor boyfriend. I literally went crazy and couldn't think straight. But since I've started this pill, I've had no issues.”

Sd · January 25, 2020

For Acne: “I’m 31 and I’ve struggled with Moderate acne since I was about 20. I tried everything from retinols, Antibiotics, proactiv, and various face washes and cleansers. I’ve been taking sprintec for years because it was supposed to be good for acne. It was only until recently I realized that my breakouts coincided with my cycle. A week before my period is when I normally break out. I did some research and switched to Nikki despite the mixed reviews. I just finished the first pack and I have to say I am amazed. My skin is actually clear, I really hope this isn't a fluke but I seriously don’t have a zit on my face. While I still have some scarring, I actually left the house today without makeup, something I haven’t done In years. As far as side effects go, I have noticed a few headaches, mostly minor, Which I am monitoring. None have persisted and go away with Motrin. But all in all I could not be happier, I never thought I would see the day my skin was clear ever again.”

LJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 23, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I had previously been taking Gianvi primarily for PMDD, but also for birth control. I decided to make a switch from (my beloved) Gianvi to Nikki due to price reasons. I was a little leery at first because of the seemingly mostly negative bad rap it was getting on this site. But, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did because it was a completely seamless transition! No changes in mood, weight, headaches, etc. I'm very happy with this medication, and I'm glad I decided to give it a try. My wallet is happy too. Remember that people are more likely to complain than compliment, so there are probably many women satisfied with Nikki who haven't written reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. Remember that nothing is permanent and you can always switch if you are dissatisfied.”

Hapa · January 14, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “So far it has been good for me. Please understand that everyone will respond differently to any type of birth control. I had severe PMDD. I'm talking about suicidal thoughts and actions during the week of my period. When my period ended my PMDD symptoms would just disappear (this is different for any woman with PMDD). While on Nikki I have no PMDD symptoms I just had regular PMS. Be aware that this state can change from month to month because PMDD is very complex. There was no EXTREME amount of emotional instability for me. This is one of the reasons why I'm ranking it so high. My last birth control gave me acne and Nikki cleared that up for me within a month. My sex drive is perfectly fine as well. The only thing that I see as a draw back is that I've been having a few migraines with it. But I have chronic migraines and when I switch this typically happens for a few months but then it slows down. Side note: Nikki is generic for Yaz. They're the same birth control.”

BirthcontrolHelpedme · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 18, 2018

For Birth Control: “I just started Nikki a month ago. For the first week I had terrible nausea and headaches. However, now my skin is so so clear. For the past 2 years I have been struggling with terrible bloating to the point where I look pregnant. Nikki helped me feel less bloated and I have lost 10 pounds in one month!! I am 120 lbs now so losing 10 lbs was a big deal for me!! I am so happy and thankful for this pill. It really HAS transformed my life. Best of all, my copay is 0!”

cc2017 · September 28, 2017

For Birth Control: “DO NOT TAKE THIS IF YOU WERE SWITCHED FROM GIANVI. I was on Gianvi for a year and had no issues at all and my pharmacy switched me to Nikki last month... since I switched I have bloated, felt depressed and have acne (and I have never had more than two zits in my entire life). Do not let your pharmacy switch you to Nikki! I am going to try non generic Yaz and see how that goes. I do not usually write reviews but these last few weeks on it have been miserable!”

Celeste · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 20, 2021

For Birth Control: “I began Nikki after my Paragard IUD had to be removed because it shifted positions. I wasn't comfortable going back to an IUD after that. I also wanted something to help my (moderate) acne. Once I started Nikki, my acne cleared up within the first pack. I took the pill religiously at the same time and my doctor thinks that this helped with the benefits. I noticed my body hair grew less thick. My periods last a day and a half with moderate bleeding at worst. I've also had minimal cramping. I did gain ~7 lbs around my butt and lower tummy which hasn't gone away. I also noticed that my sex drive is decreased. The reason that I'm changing is because my IBS symptoms became severe. I looked into it and research suggests that Drospirenone can cause/worsen IBS. I think overall Nikki was great, but wasn't the perfect fit for me.”

Cj · April 9, 2021

For Acne: “I’ve been on Nikki for 6 1/2 months now. Don’t get discouraged if you read about someone having bad side effects after being on the pill for a week, give the pill time to adjust to your body first. I’ve always been acne prone but in Fall of 2020 I started getting severe cystic acne along my neck, jawline, and cheeks. The cysts on my neck were new so I knew something was wrong internally and did some research and tried Nikki. I didn’t experience any nausea, mood swings, or weight gain :) The first 2 months I saw no change in my skin. By the end of month 3 I started seeing improvements and the cysts on my neck were gone. The amount I was breaking out was less, but I was no where near clear in month 3 like a lot of people reported. Now I’m 1 week into month 7 and I don’t have 1 bump on my face! I still don’t feel I can say I have CLEAR skin yet because I have a lot of work that needs to be done with scaring and hyperpigmentation however I feel healthier and my face is smooth!”