User Reviews for Nikki to treat Acne

Nikki has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 43% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Nikki Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Nikki

Olive · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2020

“Been 6 months on Nikki and I love it!! It has cleared my acne and I’ve only been spotting the first few months. Other than that no side effects! Please talk w doctor and don’t get scared from the reviews. People only want to review if they had a negative experience! I’ve gained no weight, not depressed, and I'm so much happier bc my acne is gone”

Coco · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

“I want to remind y’all that everyone’s body is different, so the side effects and bad experiences people post does not mean they will happen to you! I was freaking out bc I started this Nikki birth control pill and then looked at the reviews and everyone made it seem AWFUL. However, my experience has been great!!!! Cleared my acne and the only side effect was the first few days after taking the pill I would get stomach cramps that would go away, but was all normal bc body is just getting used to hormones. I haven’t gained a pound, not depressed at all, maybe a little bit more a temper but nothing terrible, no breast tenders but they look fuller! and no nausea. please just don’t get freaked out about the reviews because everyone’s body reacts differently.”

B April 1, 2020

“I was prescribed two different birth control pills since I first chose to go on it, and my experience with both were not great. I would experience spotting, severe anxiety and mood swings, and then very severe cystic acne. This past October I switched to Nikki for the sake of my skin and anxiety, and I have never been so happy. My skin has been PERFECT since starting this pill, my hormones feel so balanced, and I could not be happier. I HIGHLY recommend Nikki for anyone experiencing difficulties with emotions, anxiety, or cystic acne.”

Anonymous <3 June 2, 2019

“I’m a bit taken back from multiple negative feedbacks this BCP (birthcontrol pill) is receiving. I had issues with my previous BCP, especially with acne and depression, so my doctor decided to switch me to Nikki. I love this birth control. I would get nausea for the first month; however, the following months were great! My skin cleared up, my sadness and sensitivity decreased, my weight stayed consistent, and my sex drive did not change. My period would last for 4 days max with light bleeding. A bonus: It also helped me with my ovarian cyst. I no longer feel pain in my abdomen and it kept the cyst at bay. Although, do keep in mind our bodies react to pills differently. I hope this pill will give you the same benefits it did for me.”

Sd January 25, 2020

“I’m 31 and I’ve struggled with Moderate acne since I was about 20. I tried everything from retinols, Antibiotics, proactiv, and various face washes and cleansers. I’ve been taking sprintec for years because it was supposed to be good for acne. It was only until recently I realized that my breakouts coincided with my cycle. A week before my period is when I normally break out. I did some research and switched to Nikki despite the mixed reviews. I just finished the first pack and I have to say I am amazed. My skin is actually clear, I really hope this isn't a fluke but I seriously don’t have a zit on my face. While I still have some scarring, I actually left the house today without makeup, something I haven’t done In years. As far as side effects go, I have noticed a few headaches, mostly minor, Which I am monitoring. None have persisted and go away with Motrin. But all in all I could not be happier, I never thought I would see the day my skin was clear ever again.”

Sinny December 2, 2020

“I’ve been on this Nikki birth control pill for about 3 weeks and so far the side effects suck. It makes me feel more depressed, stomachaches, and it’s really hard for me to eat without feeling nauseous. I switched from the birth control Junel Fe which did nothing for my skin. I’m also currently on spironolactone (have been for 3.5 months) which has helped my skin a lot. However since switching to Nikki (Yaz generic) my skin has started breaking out like crazy. The zits I’m getting are huge and some are painful. (I have 4 zits on my face right now that came out of nowhere). Before I switched I wasn’t getting these kinds of zits. However I will say that I have a lot of hope! First of all I was expecting an initial breakout. Breakouts are a common initial side effect of switching BC pills. From reading other reviews most people say it gets worse before it gets better. I’m sticking with this. A few months from now I’ll post an update on here to report on how my skin is doing :)”

CountOlaf November 24, 2020

“I just quit Nikki after being on it for two months. In that time it had severely worsened my depression, gave me extreme fatigue, mood swings. I didn't want to get out of bed most days and I ended up missing a lot of my classes because of how tired I was. It even caused me to develop a yeast overgrowth in my digestive system. I first went on birth control two years ago, my doc prescribed me Junel and it cleared up my acne with little side-effects. I stopped birth control for a year and just recently went back on because of an acne flare and was prescribed Nikki. I quit a few days ago after I realized the pill was causing all of my symptoms and I already feel better. Of course birth control affects everyone differently but please don't try to push past the negative symptoms. Honestly, this experience has made me quite cynical of the pill. I've decided to heal my acne holistically and plan to get a non-hormonal IUD. Goodluck to anybody going on this pill! I hope it works for you.”

mads · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

“I have been on Nikki for a month and just finished the first pack. My acne has went to how it was last summer but I think my body is still getting used to it, but I am a teenager and the only thing it did for me was gave me a slight stomach ache in the first week a couple times. Also I haven't had my period for two months! When I was supposed to have it, I had bad cramps, but no blood. I will post an update when I finish the second pack.”

mack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2019

“I have been on Nikki for about 10 months. I switched from Sprintec, because that was making me moody and depressed. I used to suffer with cystic acne and this cleared my acne miraculously, as well as my moodiness. However, I'm worried it made me gain weight. Has that happened to anyone else?”

OK · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 7, 2019

“I'm finishing my third pack of Nikki and have FINALLY cleared up my inflammatory/cystic acne. So glad to have been suggested this prescription by my Dermatologist. I've not had any other side effects from this medication other than occasional light-headedness, typically only when taken on an empty stomach.”

Dani · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 31, 2019

“I’ve been on this Nikki pill for 11 months and it completely cleared my hormonal acne around my jawline. My oil production has decreased as well. No nausea or headaches, the only side effect for me is that my sex drive is non existent. Such a love hate relationship with Nikki...”

Molly April 24, 2021

“I was on Nikki birth control for a full year. I prescribed it for acne. My skin had a horrible purge before completely clearing up. So it works for acne but it takes a few months before your hormones level out. The only other problem I had with it was that I would get yeast infects when I was never prone to them before.”

flower · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2020

“I have been on Nikki for 3 months now. In the first week or two, I felt nauseous and got headaches a lot. I use it for acne and at first, it made my acne way worse but when I was finishing up the second pack it began to clear up my face. Now my face is pretty clear but I feel tired all the time and have less motivation to do anything but hopefully, this will go away. Overall though I think my experience so far hasn't been too bad on Nikki at least compared to other brands.”

Cj April 9, 2021

“I’ve been on Nikki for 6 1/2 months now. Don’t get discouraged if you read about someone having bad side effects after being on the pill for a week, give the pill time to adjust to your body first. I’ve always been acne prone but in Fall of 2020 I started getting severe cystic acne along my neck, jawline, and cheeks. The cysts on my neck were new so I knew something was wrong internally and did some research and tried Nikki. I didn’t experience any nausea, mood swings, or weight gain :) The first 2 months I saw no change in my skin. By the end of month 3 I started seeing improvements and the cysts on my neck were gone. The amount I was breaking out was less, but I was no where near clear in month 3 like a lot of people reported. Now I’m 1 week into month 7 and I don’t have 1 bump on my face! I still don’t feel I can say I have CLEAR skin yet because I have a lot of work that needs to be done with scaring and hyperpigmentation however I feel healthier and my face is smooth!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 11, 2019

“I have had a great time with Nikki! I had severe pimple face and after 3 months of use, I barely had any pimples at all. After my second month of use, I had spotting for about 2-3 weeks but nothing severe. I have not gained or lost weight (however take in account that I am naturally very skinny and have a fast metabolism). I would and have recommended this birth control.”

BNA · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2018

“I got back on birth control to treat my acne and it has cleared my skin up 100%. I am on my third month now and by the second month my skin really cleared up which I never thought would happen. The dermatologist recommended I get on the pill and said by month 3 my skin will be clear, and she was right. I will say the first month I was extremely moody and emotional but that is normal when your body is getting adjusted but by the second month I was normal. This birth control keeps my skin clear, gives me light periods, and I didn't gain a pound on it. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to get on the pill.”

Kenz45 November 9, 2019

“I have been on this birth control for a little over a month. It has cleared up my acne a lot. If I forget to take a pill that night, I take it right away the next morning and I don't have any breakthrough bleeding. I feel like my moods have calmed down a little but I do get upset kind of easily after starting this pill. I also have noticed barely any weight gain but my breasts became fuller after starting this pill.”

NegativeNikki · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“I never post drug reviews because I am in the medical field but man I sure wish I would have read up on this drug before taking it. Within the first two weeks of being on this Nikki birth control, I developed back to back headaches and minor mood swings. Now 3 weeks in, my face has went ballistic and I have cystic acne everywhere. This drug has started interfering with my career since I get self conscious talking to doctors with a face full of zits. I now have to get on back on Accutane to combat the side effects of this horrible drug!”

pinkblue2468 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2020

“I was on this birth control for about a year. It definitely cleared up my face to the point where I had no acne what so ever; however, it made me so emotional, anxious, and angry all the time that I had to stop taking it. I noticed a significant difference in my mood and mental state from before I started taking it till now. I have cried almost every day and am so sad most of the time that I do not leave my bed. My family and friends started to notice my change in behavior as well which made me worried about if my birth control was a part of it. Everyone has a different experience with certain birth controls, but this was just my experience!”

28yo, first experience bc September 9, 2018

“Started this birth control with hopes of regulating hormones after developing relatively severe, persistent adult acne (whole regions of breakouts on cheeks, jawline, chin, chest), irregular periods (alternating between 21-45+ days between cycles), and feeling of unstable mood. After first month of use, acne has significantly improved, is now reduced to a few hormonal pimples on cheek/chin near menstruation. In second month- decrease in excessive oil and significant improvement in skin integrity(heals faster, reduced inflammation, skin feels and looks healthier ‘thicker’). Menstruation is lighter however, have some light spotting mid cycle, and suspect my body is still adjusting to medication after only 2 months. Mood generally more even and cool, fewer extreme lows. Side effects! I work 12h days and also run long distance and I’ve noticed a drop in my stamina. A couple of days where I’ve felt overwhelming fatigue. Suspect it is due to the way drug counters natural testosterone.”

Maddog · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2020

“I’m on week two of Nikki. I switched from Sprintec(used for about 7 years) which I had no problems with and had spot on periods that always came on the same day, around the same hour, and lasted 3 days. I switched to Nikki for acne reasons. These past two weeks I have been an emotional MESS. I think I’ve cried every single day. I feel hopeless, anxious, angry and sad about everything. I almost called my doc to put me back on Prozac because I didn’t know what was going on with me. I got a lot of answers coming to this thread though. I’m going to try and give this a month or two to see if those feelings subside at all, but if it stays how it is now I will be switching back to Sprintec. I would rate it more than 1/10 if I was on it long enough to see if it helped with acne or the mood swings stopped, but for now it’s a solid 1/10.”

hannah22 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2021

“Originally was put on Nikki for acne. I had breakouts the first month or two but by month five my skin was clearer than it had been in years with only breakouts before my period. However I did experience a lot of headaches and really intense mood swings to the point I was crying pretty much every day. I have a history of depression and anxiety and they both went sky high while on Nikki. I also was nauseous and had stomach issues while on it along with period like cramping throughout the month. I liked how my skin reacted but with the increased risk of clots and all the side effects it wasn’t worth it for me.”

paintedblue · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2019

“CVS changed me to this in August and ever since I've been gaining weight rapidly with no change to my lifestyle or daily routine. I'm at the highest weight I've ever been in my life. As a former athlete who still remains pretty active, it's been incredibly frustrating for me. I switched to Walgreens so I could get my Loryna back - a drug that caused me basically no side effects.”

kat October 24, 2018

“I went on this pill to help alleviate severe cramps, lighten periods, and improve acne. I originally was on Aviane, but found that its progestin hormone caused acne so I switched to Nikki. While on this pill, my periods were worse than when I was on Aviane. They were heavier, and my cramps were worse--they barely responded to Advil. My acne, however, was totally fine. Honestly, this pill is great for skin and I've noticed a huge positive change; however, I've decided to switch pills due to the other side effects. I've become severely depressed on this pill, irritable all the time, horrible mood swings, and EXTREME fatigue, not to mention loss of sex drive (I NEVER want to have sex anymore--my libido is at 0%). I didn't experience any weight gain or breakthrough bleeding though. I would honestly say it just depends on the person. I thought the side effects would disappear but I've tried this pill for 8 months and no sign of them going away.”

Mandy · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

“I have been taking Loryna for a couple of years now and recently had to switch to Nikki because CVS had stopped selling Loryna. Within a week of taking Nikki I had noticed that I was getting more acne than usual. Second week into Nikki, my whole face was covered in cystic acne that made me want to stay inside all day. I had migraines that hurt so bad I threw up and almost passed out. Not only that, but I felt like I could cry at any given moment and I was so tired for no reason. I quickly realized Nikki was the cause and found another pharmacy that carries Loryna and I can't wait to feel better again. Nikki has been the worst experience with any birth control I've ever taken, it was almost as if I stopped taking birth control all together. DO NOT TAKE NIKKI!”

Learn more about Acne