User Reviews for Doxazosin to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Doxadura, Cascor, Carduran, Cardura, Cardura XL

Doxazosin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Doxazosin

K.S.L. · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2020

“I had been taking tamsulosin for BPH and when my blood pressure got too high, I switched to doxazosin. I have reacted very very badly to a beta blocker in the past but have had no trouble with alpha blockers. The dose is up to 4 mg. twice a day and I have no obvious side effects. My BP is still a little higher than my doctor likes but lower than it was, and the BPH remains under control.”

Morty · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2020

“Intolerable side effects from doxazosin of weakness, depression (on antidepressants but this drug has worsened my condition). Blurred vision, headaches, right side stomach pain ,insomnia. I am 86yrs of age and my life is miserable on this drug.”

bob · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

“Have had high blood pressure for a number of years, now 68 been on labetalol 200mg 2x day and enalapril 10 mg 2x day, have high epinephrine, metanephrine, endo doc switched med to doxazosin 4mg at night. I have taken it for only 2 days pulse went up 120 and blood pressure went up, not down. I'm still on enalapril dose, feel dizzy sick to stomach and headache mostly in the back of head, doc talks about raising doxazosin to 8mg no way, am 155 lbs 5'9'”

UK · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 8, 2019

“Started with 4mg doxazosin + 2mg bendroflumethiazide. BP not under control. Over the years the dosage of doxazosin was increased to 2x4mg in the morning taken with 1 Bendro and then another 4mg of Dox at night. I don't feel dizzy but have shortness of breath, sometimes think I forget to breathe (?), feeling of anxiousness in my chest, which eases off a little with deep breaths. Out and about during the day I feel fine. The shortness of breathe/ anxiety is noticeable when resting.”

timson · Taken for 10 years or more August 23, 2019

“Was on 4 mg doxazosin per day which was making me tired and dizzy, have now reduced it to 2 mg and feel a lot better. But it has an effect on my peeing which is a reduced rate now. BP seems ok”

Tex · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2019

“My husband was prescribed 4 mg Doxazosin to hopefully reduce the number of trips to the bathroom as well as lowering the blood pressure. It was prescribed in place of the HCTZ that was lowering the Creatinine levels and it was to be taken along with the Metoprolol he had been taking for 2 years. The side effects listed for Doxazosin in the info given by the pharmacy were very generic and no specific warnings were listed on the bottle other than possible impairments while driving. No specific instructions were given by the doctor or pharmacist and it said "take one a day" on the bottle. He was a healthy 150 lbs. 78 year old swimming a mile three days a week at the local gym. On the day he started taking Doxazosin he had a fainting or nearly fainting spell within 45 minutes that resulted in a deadly ground level fall fracturing the skull and closed brain injuries. He died hours later. Please be careful and avoid taking this medication.”

Brad · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 4, 2019

“I have been on doxazosin for over a year now, along with a few other prescriptions for my high blood pressure and kidneys. The doctor prescribed 4 mg twice a day. It works pretty well at reducing my blood pressure, but has some terrible side effects. I completely lost my drive for sex, which is usually very strong. In addition, it caused “retrograde ejaculation” (no semen on orgasm). I found that unacceptable, so I reduced my dosage to 4mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My blood pressure has gotten worse, but my libido and ejaculation has returned to normal. Got to go back and see doctor, try to find a new medication, but I am running out of options. I hate this drug.”

Geoffers · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

“Doxazosin allergic reaction after medication strength was doubled, it was a terrible experience with hives”

Fuego July 29, 2018

“Have been prescribed 1mg daily now on it for four days. Having some dizziness but not too bad. This only started yesterday and does wear off. Anyone help with how long this is likely to last before it settles?”

cmklein · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2018

“I am on 2mg of Doxasozin and it seems to reduce my blood pressure. Side effects are horrendous though. Exhaustion like you have the flu or are approaching end of life. When I first started on them I couldn't even walk from my car to my office without feeling like I was about to collapse and breathless. I know for sure it is them as I have come off them myself several times and I am back to normal.”

Sagebrush January 20, 2017

“Started on 1mg dose after being prescribed 2mg. I have trust issues with any med, blood pressure ok . Been taking it a month. Eyes are red and swollen, sex drive is about half what it was, having trouble getting erection, I sleep better but not worth the other side effects. Weight gain also. No more for me! I'm not happy.”

omega2498 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 14, 2016

“I had radio therapy for testicular cancer in 1977 - aged 30. A camera revealed scarring to my bladder neck in about 2005, and telangectasia (spelling may be wrong). Doxazosin initially prescribed for persistent high blood pressure reasons at 2 mg, but recently raised to 4 then 8 mg per day. Higher doses maybe cause a pounding heart for 1 to 3 hours after waking - not nice. Also a dry mouth and nasal congestion. But urine flow much better when taking the drug. I should also mention that I have various allergies.”

mbs83 · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2015

“Switched from a non-selective beta blocker for treatment of Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to infant adoption. Doctor started me at 4mg, but I blacked out upon getting out of bed three days later. I had the prescription lowered to 1mg, but am taking half now and it is highly effective with virtually no side effects for me. No more PTSD-related nightmares due to the longer half-life, and very little hypervigilance. I am also able to be more physically active now than with a beta blocker, which is great.”

sebluebell · Taken for 10 years or more July 22, 2015

“I have had good results using Cardura, but when using a generic, I had problems with dizziness, eyes seemed to be crossed, weakness. The pill lists lactose as an "inert" ingredient. I have had milk allergies since I was a teenager . Since I cut the 1 mg tab of the very small Cardura in half I was not getting much lactose and it worked fine. With the generic at least 10 times larger, I was getting much more of the lactose to which I was allergic, so I was having severe side effects. This is the first time I have found the list of inert ingredients. I was allergic to many medicines before this and the addition of lactose may have been the reason.”

dickdoviak · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2015

“I was taking 1 MG with breakfast and found on occasion I had dizziness. I cut the pill in half and no longer experience dizziness.”

Joe65 November 21, 2014

“Taken to lower blood pressure and to increase urine flow at night. Worked great for both.”

dianesaffron October 23, 2013

“doctor started me on 4mg straight away which caused bad side effects. instructions say start at 1mg so i am trying that. also wasnt told by doctor to take at night so i will see if that helps. so far not happy anyone else had problems? i thought i'd pass out in town centre not good.”

Anonymous July 14, 2011

“It works better than any other blood pressure medicine I have taken and I have taken many including 3 more that I take beside the doxazosin. I take the doxazosin at night or break it in half and take it in the afternoon if my pressure is running high. It dose not work at all for me regarding prostate issues.”

Anonymous March 26, 2008

Cardura (doxazosin): “Took 1 8mg Cardura daily. Experienced dizziness and nausea for the first 3 days but later adjusted to the medication and maintained pressure around 120/80. On doctor's advise, Cardura discontinued and replaced with alternative medication due to excessively fast pulse/heart rate up to 100/s after 6 months on Cardura”