User Reviews for Anafranil to treat Panic Disorder

Anafranil has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Anafranil Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Anafranil

Royjones · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2014

“Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil.”

dandalion January 19, 2013

“Have been on Anafranil for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting this medication I tried Lexapro (horrible panic attacks no sleep), Zoloft (made me depressed, worsened anxiety), Cymbalta (dreamlike state, made me totally dysfunctional), dothiepin (slightly alleviated anxiety but not much). I have only taken Anafranil for 5 weeks and it has already cured me of chronic anxiety, panic attacks. Took 4 weeks to really start working but turned out to be a surprisingly effective medicine. I feel great for the first time in years and am starting to get my life back. It has also helped my agoraphobia a great deal, magical stuff.”

kmaverikaz February 24, 2012

“Outstanding medication for obsessive compulsive stress disorder, Panic, Agoraphobia. I have been on this medicine for 15 years and it has eliminated my panic attacks, anxiety and am able to leave the house without fear. Side effects include rapid heart rate, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction and hypotension. I take Anafranil at night. There is absolutely no weight gain, in fact I lost 50lbs. I did switch to Zoloft with no success and am back on Anafranil. There were no withdrawal symptoms when tapered off. This is one of the best meds in the TCA class and works better than the new SSRIs for me.”

Thank Ful · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2016

“I had a break up and was suffering extreme anxiety and depression. I was not functioning at work, in life and suffered for several months. I was getting worse and worse, not sleeping and finally broke down and decided to take an anti depressant. After about 4 days something changed a little within a two weeks my anxiety went away and I began sleeping again as well. I weaned off of the ativan I was taking and this drug saved my life. I probably would have been hospitalized if I didn't go on it. Side effects, sweating (a lot), constipation, and of course ejaculatory issues but still could have sex for my partner. This side effects were easy to deal with when compared to my anxiety. Save my life!!!”

Jillay November 12, 2015

“I was suffering panic attacks, anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome. I started on half a 75 mg for two weeks and then full tablet. The side effects were a bit of a challenge some days but the up side was I had good days very early into taking. I started them four weeks ago and panic attacks are gone, minimal anxiety now and depression lifted considerably, also no more IBS. one thing that no tablet cannot do is change how you think. I am very, very blessed!”

wil · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2018

“I was suffering from anxiety and was prescribed anafranil by my GP. Over a period of about a week my anxiety increased to the point that I was not well enough to go into work. I contacted my GP who increased the dosage. Within a few days I became so anxious I was unable to leave the house. I also suffered shaking and felt so weak that I stayed in bed. But worst of all I started having suicidal thoughts. At this point another GP from the practice called out to see me at home and took me off anafranil and onto a short term course of diazepam/temazapam. My situation improved and stabilised. In the longer term I was prescribed venlafaxine which helped with my condition. If you start having any suicidal thoughts ring someone immediately!”

Kat · Taken for 10 years or more November 10, 2020

“I have been on this clomipramine since I was 9 years old. It has been the best thing for me. When I had taken myself off cold Turkey 4 years ago, I suffered greatly until deciding to go back on. But unfortunately I didn't give it enough time to work before deciding I had become immune. Try others for the next three years. A little over a month ago I decided to try again with this anafrinil, and was put on a higher dosage. 25 mg, x2 a day as needed. Now I don't have to take it everyday! Only as needed and it's an instant calming effect!”

EliteGirl January 19, 2012

“I had a bad weekend and couldn't control my emotions when on Librium alone. But with Geodon, a medication I've been experiencing serious side effects with, I am a lot calmer. So basically, it works but with something extra.”

Anonymous August 30, 2020

“Anafranil is a life saver. I had been suffering from panic attacks and OCD for 4 years without finding a solution. I tried other medicine in vain. I am so happy now ”

Marc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2020

“On 100 mg Anafranil and it makes me calm and I don't worry about things any more but can still have panic attacks. Side effects : makes me sweat when it's warm a lot .”

Learn more about Panic Disorder